Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoL View Post
    Caminoloco.-

You mean that the flame fork can take 4.8" tires with the original rim in the Hoggar?
    (do not give me more ideas...)
    Never tried it... I know it takes a Husker Du on a 80mm rim, so a BFL on a 47mm might fit... if the tire fits that rim, same thing: never tried that.

Harrumph
    The freewheel did seem to have a disconcerting amount of drag in the stand freshly built, it would feed the top rung of chain when the wheel was spun up. But after a few miles of actual riding it smoothed out. Already tested @ 10F!
    Last edited by G-reg; 11-24-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    I ordered a Hope rear hub. Price isn't too bad. I like loud hubs so I can't wait!

Mike

Karma Vampire
    I have 3/4 of a season on a pair of Hope FatSno's. No reliability issues to date.

I came from CK ring-drives on my skinny tire MTB's. It took a few seasons to gain the skills/balance necessary to benefit from the nearly instant CK engagement. Still working on those skills, actually :-(

As they are, the FatSno's seem no worse or better than the Salsa or Hadley in regards to engagement. It really isn't the "ratcheting" up a tough climb that I am looking to gain. It is more the noise, an echoing "aluminum bang/boom" that I am trying to lose. I notice the "bang/boom" when coming on and off pedaling, like when carving flat turns. The big tires and rims seem to amplify the bang like a drum, I guess.

I am looking to modify the Hopes, not really complain about them. I love the freewheeling noise, by the way.

mtbr member
    How would you modify the hopes?

Fat & Single
    Its hit and miss on the noise, the difference between my wheels is massive, you'd nearly think they were different hubs (both black fatsnos) one is the loud "hope" clacking sound and the other is a soft click.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    With so many hubs to choose from, I'll never get a bike built.

I should have just went out and purchased one, but instead, I've been searching the forums for the right components. In early 2013 9:zero:7 will have a wider triangle, and I imagine other manufacturers will do the same. Only to start all over again.

mtbr member
    I finally got my pair of Pauls hubs they look really nice to bad I built the frame for a 135mm rear.

Karma Vampire
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix View Post
    How would you modify the hopes?
    Note sure in the Hope world, I guess a free hub (drive shell) with more POE. The free wheeling noise is fine with me, I just want more clicky's per rev. If the hub itself has to change, then my "wish" is scuttled.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco View Post
    Let's also not forget those Sandman bikes are essentially designed
    This forum has explicit rules on manufacturers/dealers/shills needing to identify themselves appropriately, so that otherwise unwitting peeps reading their posts can understand where they are coming from.

Which begs the question: Which are you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    This forum has explicit rules on manufacturers/dealers/shills needing to identify themselves appropriately, so that otherwise unwitting peeps reading their posts can understand where they are coming from.

Which begs the question: Which are you?
    As previously said, I'm very involved in the design of these bikes from the start. I've been pretty clear about that I hope. But I do not sell bikes (Sandman nor any other brand), own no shares, receive no payment nor any commission whatsoever. I just get to ride a lot of cool bikes (first) :-) and especially since we started racing the bikes things have gotten out of hand in such a way that I'm one of the (alas unpaid) development guys of Sandman, along with everybody else from the racing team.

But... with the prodcution of Sandman moving to Taiwan, the company will be reshuffled a bit: new investors coming in. And I might be one of them (for a very minor share, but probably/hopefully a share nonetheless). The moment I change from "along for the ride" to shareholder you'll be the first to know - heck, I'll want the world to know !
    If the deal doesn't pan out, I'll just go about my business as usual: having fun on really cool bikes and figuring out how to make them even better.

I wanted to pass by to say hi last august after we biked the Colorado Trail and spent a few days in Moab. We stayed overnight in Grand Junction on our way back to Denver but it was too late to get in touch and see if you were in the shop or not - and talk fatbikes. We might not agree on much but hey, swapping stories & experiences never hurt. Oh well, maybe next year: if the deal with Sandman pans out I'll probably be coming along with the race guys as a mechanic/fixer. Fingers crossed.

Back OT: due to our field & testing work the last 6 months, I'm very familiar with most 2013 Sandman frames and parts. If the general opinion is that past & future tech updates on these bikes aren't called for on this forum, I'll just shut up and go back to advising people what grease is best used to season a Brooks and to boasting about the pristine vintage Slingshot mtbike I just scored .

This place needs an enema
    Fair enough--thanks for clarifying.

This past August when you passed through I was under construction of a new shop. Hope to have it open in the next few weeks, so that you (or anyone) else can indeed stop in and swap stories.

Cheers,

MC

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Its hit and miss on the noise, the difference between my wheels is massive, you'd nearly think they were different hubs (both black fatsnos) one is the loud "hope" clacking sound and the other is a soft click.
    Are you running the same cassette and rim on both pair? If so I would say that is the amount of grease in the freehub body, I've seen varying amounts of grease applied to these.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So far to few miles on my new Hope to tell, but I have Hadley's and Hope's in my bikes in the past and present and the two of them perform really well, you can not go wrong with ether of them, If anything I like the Hadley interface more but you pay a penalty with the added weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jbent View Post
    Are you running the same cassette and rim on both pair? If so I would say that is the amount of grease in the freehub body, I've seen varying amounts of grease applied to these.
    Correct, the more grease the more damping. That and a difference in pawl spring tension (which is the big culprit of angry-hornet-like freehubs).

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco View Post
    Correct, the more grease the more damping. That and a difference in pawl spring tension (which is the big culprit of angry-hornet-like freehubs).
    my preferred grease for damping a hope freehub body is motorex bike grease 2000.
    "Does not attack elastomers and seals and prevents galvanic corrosion" from motorex.
    Galvanic corrosion prevention is huge. Ask the guy on the coast who tried to true his ultra light wheels with alloy nipples after a year of riding. I hate building fat bike wheels with alloy nipps. The bike that can go anywhere should give longevity more weight than total bike weight or the cool look of those alloy nipples that will be black after two weeks of riding anyway.

ouch....
    Digging up an old post as I'm researching 170 hubs.....

Still packing my hope hubs with pedros grease, keeps them quiet, and zero bad side effects. Been doing it for a few years now.
    Riding.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3