mtbr member
    Nov 2011

H-Bars and the like for technical riding?

I have been considering changing my Easton Carbon XC bar for something swept. I am kinda of scared that the swepted bars like Answer 20/20 or an H-Bar will not give me the same control. I have never used these types of bars so I wanted to get some advice. Don't want to upgrade to a set and then end up in a tree trying to maneuver a drop.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm only a beginner at this, but I've been down some steep downhills and the H-bars let me keep things under control.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Either bar still provides you with lots of control... I'm a fan of the Jones bars and have several friends who have the 20/20 bar... Give it a go and let er rip!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Loaded AmX! Power steering at its best...and in living color!

AmX Handlebar 790mm Width 25mm Rise 31.8 :: Loaded USA
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    if it helps: i like the bars for technical riding. i like the fact that if your grip forward, the position is 'narrower', great for jus' pedalin' and if you grip further back on the swept section your COG is moved a little further back and the weighting of the front wheel is changed - i think beneficially. how *much* sweep you like seems to be variable, but the 710 jones are my favourite by far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks guys. I found this Titec H-Bar and J-Bar Final Review | Bike Carson. Looks like I need to pick up either a Jones or Answer 20/20. I missed one on Ebay of 42 bucks!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Salsa Bend 2's are nice choice too.

And ditto, I love them for technical riding.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I used a Jones H-bar for a few months. It made the bike feel slower and I was less likely to pop a curb, or even want to hop the front end of the bike in any fashion. I could see it being better for endurance riding, but it was just not as fun as a straight bar for me.

Maybe it was bad geometry because I did not swap out the stem when I tried them. They're sitting in a bin now, if you're in Canada I could lend them to you to try.

mtbr member
    H-Bars and the like for technical riding?-img_5435.jpg

I have been on the Answer 720 enduro 20/20 for a couple weeks and really like them. No problems in the technical riding department, and they feel really good when climbing out of the saddle. The really nice thing about them is you can keep your same stem.

I was a user of the Misfit FUBAR and I like the 20 degree sweep a lot better with the Answer bars. It just feels "right".
    Disclaimer: I own a bike shop

Dubz bikes and boards
    Oxford, Michigan
    248-969-5986

www.dubzbikesandboards.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpcgamer View Post
    Thanks guys. I found this Titec H-Bar and J-Bar Final Review | Bike Carson. Looks like I need to pick up either a Jones or Answer 20/20. I missed one on Ebay of 42 bucks!
    Thanks for the link!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Salsa Bend 2's are nice choice too.

And ditto, I love them for technical riding.
    Thanks,
    Will also try the Salsa's.

Ordered the Answer's in the other day.
    Not as much sweep as the Kona bars I found and like (handplant?)

JM

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I started with a Jones bar, tried a bullnose (Origin8, not sold anymore, too narrow among other things), I will probably be on an Answer 20/20 soon after trying a buddy's setup. The latter seemed like a happy medium for my wrist health vs technical control.

I think I would really like a bullnose version of the 20/20.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have short low rise Easton Havoc stem. Should I replace that before going with something like a Answer 20/20 or Salsa Bend 2?

mtbr member
    I would put the new bar on first and then see what you think you need for a stem. I don't think that the Answer 20/20 changes your hand position much forward or back, but you should try it with your current stem. If your current hand position is good you might not need to change stems. If your cables and hoses don't have any excess length you might need new ones since the extra angle of the bars uses up a little more cable.

I've had a Jones, Mary, Bend 2, and Ragley. I felt the sweep on the Jones was a bit too much and didn't feel comfortable in the techy stuff. Same with the Mary, in addition to being too narrow. These two bars now reside on the cargo/townie bikes, which they work great on.

For me, the Bend 2 and Ragley's worked a lot better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Lots of options that may be hard to find?
    FU2 Bar Handlebar - PSYCLESTORE

Perhaps a list?

Any other carbon options? (got the Answers to try), want more sweep.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have the Bend 2 bar with 17 degree sweep on my Pugs. They also make it with 22 degrees of sweep. I keep finding myself wondering whether or not I'd like the 22 degree bar more, but my Ergon grips seem to add a tad of curve toward their outer ends. I like the bars for beach and trail riding, but usually ride for only about 1.5 to 2 hours. I haven't ridden for more than about 5 hours at a shot so far, and they have been fine for my relatively short rides.
    I'd love to try a Jones 710, a 22 degree sweep Bend 2, and also the Answer 20/20 just to satisfy my curiosity about whether I'd like any of these better than my current bars. Probably won't ever happen way out here near the edge of the world, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've got one bike with Bend 2 22 deg and two with Answer 20/20 for riding here in the mid-atlantic/NE. Helps with wrist and shoulder injuries I have. Depending on your grips you can find your hands migrating towards the center on occasion if you try to keep your grip loose when the bike is pointed down hill for extended stretches. Gloves and the contours of Ergons keep my palms in place. Otherwise, haven't found any issues in technical riding.

I'd wait to change the stem until you see how the width and angles affect your overall position.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpcgamer View Post
    I have been considering changing my Easton Carbon XC bar for something swept. I am kinda of scared that the swepted bars like Answer 20/20 or an H-Bar will not give me the same control. I have never used these types of bars so I wanted to get some advice. Don't want to upgrade to a set and then end up in a tree trying to maneuver a drop.
    Thanks
    I love H bars for non-techy riding and I hate 'em for techy riding. Tried many times to love them and never could.

For techy MTB touring I'll use a riser bar with Ergon grips sometimes with bar ends.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I really like my on one fleegle bar. Only problem is it only comes in 25.4.

mtbr member
    Your bars look great. Do they move your weight back at all? or is that optional?
    Quote Originally Posted by DubzOxford View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5435.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	289.7 KB 
ID:	981387

I have been on the Answer 720 enduro 20/20 for a couple weeks and really like them. No problems in the technical riding department, and they feel really good when climbing out of the saddle. The really nice thing about them is you can keep your same stem.

I was a user of the Misfit FUBAR and I like the 20 degree sweep a lot better with the Answer bars. It just feels "right".

Two Headed Boy
    I really enjoy my Jones 710 H-bars, some of the best money Iíve spent on a bike!! They are super comfy and unlike all other bars Iíve tried, which tend to excel in one aspect, they are flat out good in all situations and positions. Iíve really enjoyed them on techy terrain, downhills are a blast! I use some Ergon cork grips on them and I could go all day with them!

Best of luck with your bars,

Nick

tSETFREEBYLOVEt