Thread: Guacamole fat!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Guacamole fat!

I had to drive into town yesterday afternoon to run errands and pick up some groceries. On my way out of my neighborhood, I noticed a suspicious looking brown van lurking on one of the local beach lanes. I didn't let it bug me, as my house locks up pretty tight.
    However, when I got home, it appeared as if someone had dumped a bunch of brown cardboard boxes on my porch. Hmmmm. They looked innocuous enough. But after further inspection, and ripping the boxes open, I could see that they contained the parts to build something that might send shivers down the spines of the city slicker tourists that frequent our beaches: MY PUGSLEY FRAME AND COMPONENTS HAVE ARRIVED!!!

I can only describe the color of the frame as "guacamole". I'll post photos as the build progresses. Right now, the parts spread out on my living room floor aren't photogenic. Since guacamole needs some salsa, I'm going with some minor red accents. My Marge Lite wheelsets rolled in with red anodized spoke nipples. I've always loved red nipples!

More later. I'm so excited!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    Right now, the parts spread out on my living room floor aren't photogenic.
    You sir, obviously have no eye for photography if you think fat bike parts spread out on the floor aren't photogenic. They always look better on a bike, but looking at them on the floor is better than not looking at them at all.

Enjoy the build!

Nuts
    Who doesn't love red nipples!!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Guac & red nipps how fitting. new toy in duh house!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    guac? so you bought a used frame painted in guac green? I wanna see

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    guac? so you bought a used frame painted in guac green? I wanna see
    IS it not just the OD green offered this year (not trying to steal your new toy stokage either BTW)?? It is kinda a guac shade.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yep, it is a 2014 frame, what they call "OD green." However I call it "guacamole!" "OD green" just has too much of a military sound to it. Being the peacenik that I am, I much prefer "guac!"

I'm headed to the industrial marine store only 6 miles up the road (Westport is a commercial fishing port) to see what all they carry in the corrosion prevention dept. I just want to find out if there is a better "frame saver" treatment that I don't know about yet. (Otherwise i will go with either LPS 3 or Boeshield T-9, which I already have in my shop).

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I went ahead and did the frame saving with Boeshield T-9.
    I asked the staff at Englund Marine Supply in Westport if they had anything better for my purposes, and they said that the Boeshield was the right stuff. Messy job, but I got 'er done. Frame has been out in the shop drying. I'll start bolting stuff on tomorrow maybe.
    Wheels are rubbered up with the Larrys at about 10 lbs.
    I made my own head set tools, and expect my headset spacers to arrive on Thursday along with my 26 tooth chainring and 18 tooth sprocket. I'm waiting for my LBS to call me and let me know that a part I ordered thru them is in. (They said to expect it by this coming Friday). I'm going to try on some helmets while I'm there, hoping to find one that fits and that I like. I might even look at their seat selection.

I'll take some pics of the build once I get the frame back in my work stand and start slapping it together. This will be done in my kitchen, since I won't have to heat my shop/garage, which gets pretty chilly this time of year. I'm a bachelor, so no one will complain. There's bikes parked in the living room and surfboards leaning up in the corners, and fishing gear everywhere.