Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Cool-blue Rhythm Growler Performance Fat Bikes

Hi everyone!

My name is Willo Glynn and I am the owner of Growler Performance Fat Bikes. We are a direct to consumer independent bicycle manufacture based in Farmington NY that specializes in light weight high performance plus and fat bikes. Growler Performance Bikes is more than just a manufacturer that pumps out amazing bikes. We are a community of riders who understand that biking is more than the machines we ride. It’s about the people who ride our bikes and the journeys those bikes allow us to experience.

I started this thread to allow our community a place to discuss, comment, and ask questions directly with the designer/manufacturer and other Growler Bike Owners. You can find technical information about our bikes at Growler Fat Bikes or post your questions on this forum thread and I will personally answer them for you.

If you want to join our community on a more personal level we hold group rides every week. This is a great place to meet others with similar interest. Join our group at meetup.com.

Hope to see you all on the trails. Until then enjoy the ride!

Willohttps://youtu.be/kNKI2AqCL80

mtbr member
    Beautiful frame and a nice price for the complete build.
    Do you sell the frame alone?

The White Jeff W
    Geometry chart anywhere?
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Geometry chart anywhere?
    If you go their page, there is geo info under the FAQ's.

Really impressed with the specs on these bikes for the cash.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi Flugelbinder!

We do sell the frame only but not through our website. *The website only offers our complete builds. *The frame is $649 for the Mr. Big Stuff (Fat Bike), Mudwasp (27.5+), or Gypsy (29+). *

Frame Specs:
    * Growler 6061 Hydroformed Aluminum frame.
    * Internal Cable Routing
    * 197mm Rear hub Spacing
    * 100mm BSA english threaded threaded BB
    * 69 degree head tube angle
    * Tapered Headset (Bluto Compatible)

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi Jeffw-13

Our website does have the geometry but in hindsight it does appear to be buried on the site and I will fix that very soon. I added the Geometry for the Growler Mr. Big Stuff fat bike below. If there is anything specific questions about the geometry that is not listed please let me know.

Growler Mr. Big Stuff Geometry

Size Medium 17.5”
    T/T Length 590mm
    Seat Tube 457mm
    Seat Tube Angle 74°
    Head Tube Angle 69°
    BB Drop 56mm
    Head Tube Length 120mm
    Fork Lenth 468mm
    Front Center 676.2mm
    Rear Center 460mm
    Material 6061 Hydroformed Aluminum
    Weight (Frame) 1910 Grames
    Wheelbase 1135.5mm
    Last edited by GrowlerBikes; 10-16-2016 at 12:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock503 View Post
    If you go their page, there is geo info under the FAQ's.

Really impressed with the specs on these bikes for the cash.
    Me too, me too... finally...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowlerBikes View Post
    Hi Flugelbinder!

We do sell the frame only but not through our website. *The website only offers our complete builds. *The frame is $649 for the Mr. Big Stuff (Fat Bike), Mudwasp (27.5+), or Gypsy (29+). *

Frame Specs:
    * Growler 6061 Hydroformed Aluminum frame.
    * Internal Cable Routing
    * 197mm Rear hub Spacing
    * 100mm BSA english threaded threaded BB
    * 69 degree head tube angle
    * Tapered Headset (Bluto Compatible)

I forgot to add that we powder coat all of our frames. To up the value even more you can even get your bike finished in any custom color (Basic Colors) at no additional charge. Toss out the color combo you wish I will make it happen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Flugelbinder View Post
    Me too, me too... finally...
    The basis for all of our bikes was to create a serious trail bike that needs no upgrades. We have done all the upgrading for you by replacing components like the handlebars and seat post with FSA's UD Carbon, fully installed (not just compatible like others do) the tubeless systems on all of our bikes so that our owners don't have to. we went overboard on the brakes and added the Magura MT5 4 Piston Hydraulic brakes with Magura 180/180 rotors (talk about stopping power). We dropped the WTB Volt saddle and Answer Fall Line XC locking grips for all day riding comfort. We loaded it with drivetrain options starting at the SRAM GX with Raceface Crankset all the way up to the SRAM Eagle 1x12 Drivetrain there is not much more you could possible want.

Except there is more. We also designed the Mr. Big Stuff to accept interchangeable wheelsets with Sunringle Mulefut 50SL 27.5+ and 29+. Every wheelset will be delivered with matching cassettes and rotors. It takes less then 2 minutes to swap out the wheels and off you go. The Mr. Big Stuff with 27.5+ Wheelsets turns it into the Mudwasp and drops the weight down to 27lbs with the Bluto, 26lbs if you kept it rigid.

If your ever in the Rochester NY or Western NY area try to make it out to one of our weekly group rides. There is always a spare demo bike out on the trail for anyone to take.

mtbr member
    The basis for all of our bikes was to create a serious trail bike that needs no upgrades. We have done all the upgrading for you by replacing components like the handlebars and seat post with FSA's UD Carbon, fully installed (not just compatible like others do) the tubeless systems on all of our bikes so that our owners don't have to. we went overboard on the brakes and added the Magura MT5 4 Piston Hydraulic brakes with Magura 180/180 rotors (talk about stopping power). We dropped the WTB Volt saddle and Answer Fall Line XC locking grips for all day riding comfort. We loaded it with drivetrain options starting at the SRAM GX with Raceface Crankset all the way up to the SRAM Eagle 1x12 Drivetrain there is not much more you could possible want.

Except there is more. We also designed the Mr. Big Stuff to accept interchangeable wheelsets with Sunringle Mulefut 50SL 27.5+ and 29+. Every wheelset will be delivered with matching cassettes and rotors. It takes less then 2 minutes to swap out the wheels and off you go. The Mr. Big Stuff with 27.5+ Wheelsets turns it into the Mudwasp and drops the weight down to 27lbs with the Bluto, 26lbs if you kept it rigid.

If your ever in the Rochester NY or Western NY area try to make it out to one of our weekly group rides. There is always a spare demo bike out on the trail for anyone to take.
    I would definitely take that offer, but unfortunately I'm in Toronto...

Elitest thrill junkie

Interesting choice with the mineral oil Maguras. I know my Shimanos work down to -20, but they are pretty sluggish at that temp, and not all mineral oil is the same, they can have some radically different properties. How do the Maguras work at -20?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Wow, just checked out the website...pretty impressive specs for the money! I was ready to pull the trigger on a Specialized Fatboy but now am seriously considering the Growler fatty. For $100 more than the full ridgid Fatboy, can get a Growler Fatty with a Bluto and better spec'd bike.

I've always run the Shimano brakes in cold weather with no issue (in single digit temps), anticipate the mineral oil Maguras will also perform just fine.

Anyone else catch the full suspension 27.5+ carbon Growler E-Ville w/ Eagle drivetrain for <$4k also on their site? Sick!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Interesting choice with the mineral oil Maguras. I know my Shimanos work down to -20, but they are pretty sluggish at that temp, and not all mineral oil is the same, they can have some radically different properties. How do the Maguras work at -20?
    Hi Jayem,
    One of our major concerns we had using any brake system with Mineral Oil compared to the DOT was brake fade at extremely low temperature as these bikes are build to perform in the toughest conditions possible. According to Magura the brakes will show no brake fade even when the temperatures drop into the negatives as long as you are using the factory installed Royal Blood mineral oil they offer. We have tested these brakes in tempetkres as low as -2 without any mechanical issues what so ever. The Magura MT5 gave us the maximum stopping power using the 4 piston caliper which is more often seen on a gravity bike then a fat bike while still being able to handle the extremely cold February weather that we see here in Western NY. I know -2 and -20 are two different extremes but any issue should have appeared at anything below 0. Our testing has proven these to be extremely reliable in these tough conditions.

All fat, all the time.
    Impressive price on the 27.5+ full suspension carbon!
    I'm not in the market, but if i was...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Hi Jayem,
    One of our major concerns we had using any brake system with Mineral Oil compared to the DOT was brake fade at extremely low temperature as these bikes are build to perform in the toughest conditions possible. According to Magura the brakes will show no brake fade even when the temperatures drop into the negatives as long as you are using the factory installed Royal Blood mineral oil they offer. We have tested these brakes in tempetkres as low as -2 without any mechanical issues what so ever. The Magura MT5 gave us the maximum stopping power using the 4 piston caliper which is more often seen on a gravity bike then a fat bike while still being able to handle the extremely cold February weather that we see here in Western NY. I know -2 and -20 are two different extremes but any issue should have appeared at anything below 0. Our testing has proven these to be extremely reliable in these tough conditions.
    Naw, I find the brakes really start slowing down around -15 or so, that's where you start seeing issues with the mineral oil, but then again, mineral oil is not standard and it varies significantly. If you are getting fade at -2, then my hat's off to you for being able to ride steep stuff that fast at -2. It's not fade so much that we worry about on fatbikes, it's cold temp performance. Brake fade is when the brakes are overheating and they become less effective. Really, maximum stopping power doesn't really come up as a huge priority, we can actually get by with some pretty minimalist rotors (and brakes) on fatbikes in the winter, because you aren't going all that fast most of the time and the heat is dissipated well. The colder the temps get, the slower the bike rolls, so the problem kind of solves itself. -20 is about my limit, but it's not uncommon to have pools of cold air in low spots where it can be easily 10 degrees colder.

-2 is cold for most people, no doubt there.

Anyway, good looking spec on the bike. I do like the design philosophy. Seeing a few more bikes like this too as of late. I guess it's all about how much people want to spend, but makes a lot of sense to "get it right first".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Impressive price on the 27.5+ full suspension carbon!
    I'm not in the market, but if i was...
    3k for an fs plus complete, curious about the GX level build and geo, any details; couldn't find them on the website.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Naw, I find the brakes really start slowing down around -15 or so, that's where you start seeing issues with the mineral oil, but then again, mineral oil is not standard and it varies significantly. If you are getting fade at -2, then my hat's off to you for being able to ride steep stuff that fast at -2. It's not fade so much that we worry about on fatbikes, it's cold temp performance. Brake fade is when the brakes are overheating and they become less effective. Really, maximum stopping power doesn't really come up as a huge priority, we can actually get by with some pretty minimalist rotors (and brakes) on fatbikes in the winter, because you aren't going all that fast most of the time and the heat is dissipated well. The colder the temps get, the slower the bike rolls, so the problem kind of solves itself.

-2 is cold for most people, no doubt there.

Anyway, good looking spec on the bike.

My apology Jayem,

In my mind I was thinking sluggishness of a brake not fade but I was typing fade. Either way we are NOT seeing any issues at -2 which is the lowest temperature that we have had real world testing done in. Once again -20 is a different environment in which not much wants to work properly. Thats is why we leaned on Magura's expertise in braking systems. They had many option just as other company do and according to theirs and our testing the Royal Blood improved the braking performance in sub zero weather.

Thanks for the comments!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Some good info on brakes, cold and fluids:

Technical FAQ: More on disc brakes in cold weather | VeloNews.com

Tech Speak: Brake Fluid Break Down & Implications for Road Disc - Bikerumor

Interesting take from shimano above that it's not so much the fluid, but the seals, that cause the sluggish performance and eventual failure in the cold.

DOT Brake Fluid vs. Mineral Oil - and the Winner is.. | Epic Bleed Solutions

According to the above article, the Magura Royal Blood is actually the fluid below:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/B214799C3DE49442802577960030663D/$File/466992_XI_en.pdf

I wouldn't fret about this much, if you are riding all the time in -20 and colder, you're going to need some other mods anyway, especially on your body

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Some good info on brakes, cold and fluids:

Technical FAQ: More on disc brakes in cold weather | VeloNews.com

Tech Speak: Brake Fluid Break Down & Implications for Road Disc - Bikerumor

Interesting take from shimano above that it's not so much the fluid, but the seals, that cause the sluggish performance and eventual failure in the cold.

DOT Brake Fluid vs. Mineral Oil - and the Winner is.. | Epic Bleed Solutions

According to the above article, the Magura Royal Blood is actually the fluid below:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/B214799C3DE49442802577960030663D/$File/466992_XI_en.pdf
    Great info Jayem,

Thanks for adding these articles. They contain a great amount of technical information related to brake fluids and their performance related to temperature.

Willo

FB&H rider
    Growler,
    I've been interested in your bikes for a while and am definitely looking at yours as a possible option for my next fattie (along with a Kona Wozo or a Mayor); it's great to see you hit production!
    Along with a number of other folks here, one issue I have with most companies is shipping overseas.
    I'm stationed in Germany, so APO would theoretically be an option (they tell me they'll take bikes), but most companies have said they won't ship APO.
    Will you ship APO or internationally?
    Beautiful looking entries and definitely attractive price points!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    Growler,
    I've been interested in your bikes for a while and am definitely looking at yours as a possible option for my next fattie (along with a Kona Wozo or a Mayor); it's great to see you hit production!
    Along with a number of other folks here, one issue I have with most companies is shipping overseas.
    I'm stationed in Germany, so APO would theoretically be an option (they tell me they'll take bikes), but most companies have said they won't ship APO.
    Will you ship APO or internationally?
    Beautiful looking entries and definitely attractive price points!
    Hi PhdPepper,

Although shipping is more difficult internationally it would be my honor to ship our bikes to any service member serving overseas.

We will worry about the logistics all you need to worry about is which build kit you would like to enjoy while you serve in Germany. For military personnel all I need is the APO information. I will private message you in a few minutes.

Willo

mtbr member
    ... there is not much more you could possible want.
    Nice specs for the price, but there is plenty more to want...and this is my frustration with so many of the online fatbike businesses that ARE providing decent bikes at nice prices, but don't provide competition for the big companies' higher end models (there is LaMere, but they aren't competing THAT well on price).

So...wheel upgrades would be up there on my list...add a few others to offer a really competitively priced bike in the 25lb range would get my attention.

I appreciate that you are not just throwing on cheap AL bars and posts, but ya...more...
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    Nice specs for the price, but there is plenty more to want...and this is my frustration with so many of the online fatbike businesses that ARE providing decent bikes at nice prices, but don't provide competition for the big companies' higher end models (there is LaMere, but they aren't competing THAT well on price).

So...wheel upgrades would be up there on my list...add a few others to offer a really competitively priced bike in the 25lb range would get my attention.

I appreciate that you are not just throwing on cheap AL bars and posts, but ya...more...
    Thanks for the feedback IPA Rider. Here at Growler we are never satisfied with what we have created and are always looking for ways to improve. Wheelsets have the greatest effect on performance especially when were are discussing fat bikes. Moving to carbon wheelsets puts the bicycle in a different category and price point altogether.

When I created Growler Performance Bikes I established a Philosophy to create better bikes at lower prices in each category we compete in. As our offerings grow I hope to compete with the likes of LaMere in the next couple of years. They have some amazing bikes and no one can deny that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I can't seem to find the geometry for the large, and you only list the medium...

Ooops found it. Pretty small. Any hope of seeing an XL?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    GuidoStow,

GuidoStow,

The large 19" will be the largest frame size we carry this year for the Growler Mr. Big Stuff. Based on real world experiences many riders feel our bikes tend feel larger then the numbers suggest. Just for reference I am 5'10" and the medium frame fits me perfectly. Obviously preference is a very personal thing. If you are ever in western New York we hold demo days and group rides often. It gives riders an opportunity to test the models that best fit their needs.

Willo

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Would there happen to be plans on building a fs fat bike? Something in aluminum would be nice to keep cost down, though surely there are a lot of people wanting carbon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

No trouble with hydros in cold weather

I have been riding in cold weather MTB for 15+ years in as low a 0 degrees F.
    I have used dot and mineral oil brakes in these conditions and have never noticed any issues with brake performance. Yes - there is a slightly slower response, but there was no trouble stopping or rotor clearance, etc.
    In my humble opinion, it is absolutely nothing to worry about.
    If you are riding in -30, I have no idea...Ill be inside

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    FYI - I am in Rochester and have ridden both the Mud Wasp and Mr. Big Stuff and love the bikes. You will not find bikes in this price range with this quality build...and you will like working directly with the owner as opposed to some call center!
    His name is Willo (pronounced wee-low) but everyone calls him "Wheels" because no one is more passionate about bikes than this dude!

bigger than you.
    You call yourself a manufacturer, but at the prices you're offering, I'm having a hard time believing that you're actually doing any manufacturing. Most domestic manufacturers charge those prices for frames alone, not a complete build. Perhaps it might be more accurate to call yourselves assemblers and direct to consumer retailers... Or are you really building your frames at that price, as opposed to having them built?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    You call yourself a manufacturer, but at the prices you're offering, I'm having a hard time believing that you're actually doing any manufacturing. Most domestic manufacturers charge those prices for frames alone, not a complete build. Perhaps it might be more accurate to call yourselves assemblers and direct to consumer retailers... Or are you really building your frames at that price, as opposed to having them built?
    I can't wait to hear the answer, but greed quickly comes to mind... but that's just me, I'm sure the manufacturers you talk about have twice as much production costs than Willo...

mtbr member
    How many bike companies build their frames themselves opposed to having them built by someone else? Even my AL USA built Turner is not built by Turner

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is Growler using open frame designs or are these frames manufactured specifically for Growler and it's bikes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi Gigantic,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on the Growler thread. I really do enjoy discussing bikes with just about anyone who will listen. MTBR is a great platform for Growler Performance Bikes to have a more personal relationship with the biking community and our customers. MTBR is an amazing group of bike lovers who at the end of the day just want to get out and ride with their friends. That is the same community that I am creating using Growler Performance Bikes as my platform. I just want people to enjoy riding and the adventures our bikes bring us.

Gigantic, you bring up an interesting conversation about the cost of manufacturing in the United States compared to the cost of manufacturing internationally. To discuss manufacturing, I will cover the 3 major topics related to bicycle manufacturing: Location, Quality, and Cost

Location: Growler Performance Bike’s bicycles, like the majority of bicycle “assemblers and direct to consumer retailers” are manufactured by partner companies outside of the United States. There are only 3 major manufacturers of bicycles in the world and combined, produce over 2 billion bicycles every year for some of the largest name brand bikes in the industry including the likes of Trek, Cannondale, Scott, Specialized, Giant and even the beautiful 9zero7 fat bike you ride (9zero7 design and test in Alaska but produced in Taiwan).

Here is a link to a much longer list of these companies.
    Where has my bicycle been made?

More interestingly is that many of these brands share the same partners, factories, manufacturing equipment, R&D and intellectual property. These major brands utilize these partners and processes for multiple reasons which include but are not limited to quality control, logistics and production cost. The only partner manufacturer I was able to locate in the United States that actually manufactured their bikes locally was Zen Fabrication in Portland OR. They went out of business last year because they were unable to get an OEM to manufacture American made frames by the 100s at 7x the cost as it is to have them manufactured overseas. Which brings me to my next two points.

Quality: Our manufacturing partner in Taiwan produces our bicycle frames using the same equipment, resources, technology, and standards as multiple bikes on the link above. Production quality and preproduction testing was the most important aspects of the manufacturing process for us at Growler Performance Bikes. Our manufacturing partner strictly abide by the standards issued by the ISO and there for limit the quality consistency and production issues that may arise. These mega factories have the resources and expertise to manufacture large quantity of bicycles with amazing precision.

Cost: There are a couple of reasons why Growler Performance Bikes has the ability to offer such well spec’d bikes at such a competitive price point. First, like Flugelbinder stated, we don’t have all of the overhead that a company such as Trek or Giant has. Overhead has a tremendous effect on pricing. Secondly, we do produce our frames in Taiwan in large quantities which allow us to reduce production and shipping cost associated. Once the frames arrive at our warehouse they are assembled. This process includes other local companies that are well known for their expertise in things such as powder coating and wheel building. Lastly, we sell our products direct to consumer. Direct to consumer sales model saves the consumer on average of 39% on every bike as it doesn’t have to go through another company’s hands($$$). Consumers such as those using MTBR have become internet savvy over the years and are now more comfortable making large purchases of goods over the internet. Canyon in Europe has done an excellent job capturing the online bike sales market by selling quality bicycles at lower prices than its competitor. I know that if I could get a better product at a better price I would certainly consider the option.

In closing, Growler Performance Bikes is as much an OEM as the 9zero7 you ride and all the major bike brands we consider manufacturers. Where we see success is in running a very slim operation avoiding the waste that major corporations accumulate over the years. Combine that with our direct to consumer sales model and Growler Performance Bikes has created amazingly well spec’d bikes at very competitive price points.

I am going riding!

Willo (Wheels) Glynn

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Is Growler using open frame designs or are these frames manufactured specifically for Growler and it's bikes?
    Hi Negotiator50,

The quick answer to your question is yes and yes. To explain in more detail. All of our frames are based on an open source frame design that has already been developed and tested by our a partnering design firm. The frames will then be put through thorough field testing and changes will be made to each preproduction sample. Head tube angles, BB heights, ect. Once these items have been adjusted to fit our performance standards the bikes will be sent back for lab testing based on ISO standards and a set of prototypes will be developed specifically for Growler Performance Bikes. This process repeats itself until we achieve the performance design we were looking for out of our bikes. The process is very similar to building cars. Every car in a class has very similar design and functionality. What separates the products are the small tweaks the manufacturer adds or changes to enhance the performance of the products.

Willo

FB&H rider
    Willo,
    Thanks for the detailed responses!
    I've learned some new stuff today!
    I've looked at the bikes you have and one question that you or others may be able to answer is what is the biggest/fattest tire you think will fit front/back. From the site I'm seeing 4" but often I've found folks able to squeeze in a little fatter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Willo,
    I've learned some new stuff today!
    I've looked at the bikes you have and one question that you or others may be able to answer is what is the biggest/fattest tire you think will fit front/back. From the site I'm seeing 4" but often I've found folks able to squeeze in a little fatter.
    The absolute fattest tire that will fit inside of the Growler Mr. Big Stuff is the Snow Shoe XXL (26x5.05") setup tubeless on a rigid frame. This is a very tight fit along the chain line but it will slide in and is functional. It is also the most ridicules thing you will ever see and it rocks! If you are looking for the Growler Mr. Big Stuff with the Rockshox Bluto then the largest we have tested that fit properly is the Surly Bud and Lou and it had about an inch of clearance inside of the Bluto. The Rockshox Bluto is what is limiting the tire size.

If anyone has put anything larger inside of a Bluto please share.

Willo

mtbr member
    The absolute fattest tire that will fit inside of the Growler Mr. Big Stuff is the Snow Shoe XXL (26x5.05") setup tubeless on a rigid frame. This is a very tight fit along the chain line but it will slide in and is functional. It is also the most ridicules thing you will ever see and it rocks!...
    Willo
    Mmmmmm...

mtbr member
    Willo,
    I've learned some new stuff today!...
    Absolutely!
    I've been following this thread with great attention; even as a rookie is easy to see a great deal when it's presented.
    When I first realized how inflated the market was (about two months ago, when all this started for me), particularly when it comes to fat bikes even in the used market, it was a big discouraging as I began to enjoy riding more and more and started to upgrade my recently bought (used) bicycle; the prohibited price point of a new offer is what sent me to the used market, because if you're going to upgrade anyway, one might as well start with the cheapest possible platform.
    That was my line of thought till I saw Willo's offers and realized that I could have done a better deal (and some of you know how happy I am/was? with the choice I had made) and gotten a much better bike for not much more...

Gimme free stuff
    Duuuuuuuuuuuude. Nice looking bikes! I'm disappointed that you aren't offering an XL this year. I would love to test it at the very least!

My biggest question is WHY HAVEN'T I HEARD OF YOU??? I live in Rochester and am pretty familiar with the mtb scene. Market, market, market! I would 100% suport a local brand if I knew you existed! It seems like you have been at least in development for quite some time and should have been marketing all along!

I joined your meetup. I'd love to try a L, although at 6'3" I am betting it will be a tight fit. Do a Tryon or West Bay demo day and I'll be there! I can try and get more people there too, send me a pm!

Also, if you are looking for any design engineers, hit me up
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent (L) (For Sale)

mtbr member
    I appreciate the candid and informative responses...here are a few more questions:

what is the q-factor on Mr. Big Stuff?

also, I'm assuming the weight listing is with tubes and rigid fork, yes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Super impressed with Growler's responsiveness to this thread. Nice work with the transparency

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi Jeffw-13

Our website does have the geometry but in hindsight it does appear to be buried on the site and I will fix that very soon. I added the Geometry for the Growler Mr. Big Stuff fat bike below. If there is anything specific questions about the geometry that is not listed please let me know.

Size Medium 17.5”
    T/T Length 590mm
    Seat Tube 457mm
    Seat Tube Angle 74°
    Head Tube Angle 69°
    BB Drop 56mm
    Head Tube Length 120mm
    Fork Lenth 468mm
    Front Center 676.2mm
    Rear Center 460mm
    Wheelbase 1135.5mm
    This is not at all consistent with the chart on the Mr. Big Stuff page. Which is the real geometry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by yeroc40 View Post
    This is not at all consistent with the chart on the Mr. Big Stuff page. Which is the real geometry?

Yeroc40,

Thanks for catching this! The geometry under the Growler Mr. Big Stuff is the correct Geometry. The accidentally posted the geometry to the Growler Big Stout which was the original bike that was being offered and no longer exist. The Growler Big Stout was a 18" frame instead of a 17.5" frame design. I have reposted the correct geometry below. I apologize for the way it is formatted I could not get table to have a traditionally look on MTBR.

Frame Size
    17.5" Medium

Seat Tube (mm)
    BB to Ground
    Seat Tube Angle
    Standover at BB
    Top Tube
    Chain Stay
    Head Tube Angle
    Head Tube Length
    Wheelbase
    Effective Top Tube

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hello and thank you for your time Willo.

I have reviewed your site...what is the pricing on the additional wheelset? Say buying the 27.5+ with the mr. big stuff?

Thanks,
    Alex

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I appreciate the candid and informative responses...here are a few more questions:

what is the q-factor on Mr. Big Stuff?

also, I'm assuming the weight listing is with tubes and rigid fork, yes?
    Great questions IPA Rider.

The Growler Mr. Big Stuff has a Q-factor of 193mm when using the Raceface Turbine Cinch 1x Crankset.

Raceface Website has great details in relation to their cranks
    http://www.raceface.com/media/Crank_...chainlines.pdf

Every bike that is delivered to our customers will be delivered tubeless. We take care of setting up the bikes tubeless for a couple of reasons beyond the performance aspect. A) It is a pain in the ass to setup if you don't have much experience in doing so. B) It is just another cost to the consumer after they purchase a new bike that I could eliminate without increasing over cost of the bikes.

We will add tubes back into the wheelsets if requested which has occurred.

Willo

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by centoshred View Post
    Hello and thank you for your time Willo.

I have reviewed your site...what is the pricing on the additional wheelset? Say buying the 27.5+ with the mr. big stuff?

Thanks,
    Alex
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for taking the time to visit the website and posting a comment here. Inside of the shop you can find more details about the optional wheelsets.

Here is the link
    Growler Fat Bikes

The interchangeable wheelsets is priced at $500 for the 11speed and $800 for the SRAM Eagle 12 speed.

Each wheelset will include the following:
    • Sunringle Mulefute Wheel in 27.5+/29+/Fatty
    • Panaracer Fat B Nimble 27.5x3.5"/29x3"/26x4"
    • Magura 180/180 Rotors
    • SRAM 11speed/12speed cassette
    • Delived tubeless

Willo

mtbr member
    Sorry not to get all the questions into one of these...but next up is:

Frame weight?

Rocking on a Rocky
    Hi Jeffw-13

Size Medium 17.5”
    T/T Length 590mm
    Seat Tube 457mm
    Seat Tube Angle 74°
    Head Tube Angle 69°
    BB Drop 56mm
    Head Tube Length 120mm
    Fork Lenth 468mm
    Front Center 676.2mm
    Rear Center 460mm
    Wheelbase 1135.5mm
    Sorry not to get all the questions into one of these...but next up is:

Frame weight?
    1910 Grams.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    If your ever in the Rochester NY or Western NY area try to make it out to one of our weekly group rides. There is always a spare demo bike out on the trail for anyone to take.[/QUOTE]

Where are the weekly rides and time? I am 1 hour south of Rochester.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Great response from Willo, no defensiveness, great attitude, it will certainly sell those bikes.

I gotta admit, I find it very silly that anyone would give grief to a company that sells production built bikes at rock bottom prices.

If you don't get what Growler is doing, you have been living in a cave for the past twenty years.

At this point in the parade, "open " source geometry for a hard tail is about as common as ketchup. Suspension designs are a different story, at least for now...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The absolute fattest tire that will fit inside of the Growler Mr. Big Stuff is the Snow Shoe XXL (26x5.05") setup tubeless on a rigid frame.

The Growler Mr. Big Stuff has a Q-factor of 193mm when using the Raceface Turbine Cinch 1x Crankset.
    I'm sorry but no. This is impossible. I want pictures. The 193mm q factor is with a 149,5 spindle, and most 100mm bb shells tend to run with a 169,5 which gives 213mm q with turbines and 203mm q with next sl cranks.

If you say the frame can fit vee 2xl tires there's no way you can have a q of 197mm and authentic same time clear vee 2xl. The smallest q achievable with 2xl tires is 213mm using the turbines. You simply cannot squeeze them in a frame that clears a next sl crank in 169,5mm spindle and you're saying you use 149,5 spindle and can clear them?

There must be a mistake here.
    Since for those tires you need a wide chainstay, and the with to clear the tires is not possible to squeeze between a chainstay as narrow as you need to clear a q factor of 193mm

Please provide pics of this, I believe you're mistaking. Perhaps you mean vee xl tires?

The White Jeff W
    Do you have geometry for the E'ville? (Short for Ellicottville?). Frame only option?
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy81 View Post
    I'm sorry but no. This is impossible. I want pictures. The 193mm q factor is with a 149,5 spindle, and most 100mm bb shells tend to run with a 169,5 which gives 213mm q with turbines and 203mm q with next sl cranks.

If you say the frame can fit vee 2xl tires there's no way you can have a q of 197mm and authentic same time clear vee 2xl. The smallest q achievable with 2xl tires is 213mm using the turbines. You simply cannot squeeze them in a frame that clears a next sl crank in 169,5mm spindle and you're saying you use 149,5 spindle and can clear them?

There must be a mistake here.
    Since for those tires you need a wide chainstay, and the with to clear the tires is not possible to squeeze between a chainstay as narrow as you need to clear a q factor of 193mm

Please provide pics of this, I believe you're mistaking. Perhaps you mean vee xl tires?
    Hi Andy,

To ensure I was giving you the correct answer I even contacted my rep from raceface. I will toss on the Snow Shoe 2XL and post a pic sometime today or tomorrow and I will contact Raceface once again and do a personal measurement to ensure that the Q factor stated is correct.

Willo

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi Andy,

To ensure I was giving you the correct answer I even contacted my rep from raceface. I will toss on the Snow Shoe 2XL and post a pic sometime today or tomorrow and I will contact Raceface once again and do a personal measurement to ensure that the Q factor stated is correct.

Willo
    Superb, looking forward to see the pics.
    Please show crank arm clearance from frame on both drive and non drive side, as well as seatstay clearance to tire and chainstay clearance to the tire.

Even if you only manage vee 2xl and 169mm spindle with the turbines, that's a feature few bikes can match and it makes this a very nice product.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Do you have geometry for the E'ville? (Short for Ellicottville?). Frame only option?
    Hi JeffW-13

Yes the E'Ville is named after Ellicottville, NY. That place has some of the best rock garden sections I have ever ridden. It's our hidden treasure chest of mountain biking for Western NY.

Here is the link to the website where you can find the geometry for the E'Ville. Growler Fat Bikes

If your interested in giving it a test ride we are doing a demo day at Dryer Road Park, Victor NY, at 8am - noon this Saturday October 22. The E'Ville is just an absolutely amazing ride. Between the Pike, monarch, and the 27.5+ wheels that bike rips.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post
    Duuuuuuuuuuuude. Nice looking bikes! I'm disappointed that you aren't offering an XL this year. I would love to test it at the very least!

My biggest question is WHY HAVEN'T I HEARD OF YOU??? I live in Rochester and am pretty familiar with the mtb scene. Market, market, market! I would 100% suport a local brand if I knew you existed! It seems like you have been at least in development for quite some time and should have been marketing all along!

I joined your meetup. I'd love to try a L, although at 6'3" I am betting it will be a tight fit. Do a Tryon or West Bay demo day and I'll be there! I can try and get more people there too, send me a pm!

Also, if you are looking for any design engineers, hit me up
    Hi Tims5377,

First thanks for joining our meetup group. It's a new group but so far we have had good turnouts with a great bunch of great guys showing up ranging in skill levels. The group ride is designed so that everyone can enjoy the ride. We will not drop anyone even if we are just waiting around at the end of every trail chatting about bikes. It's important that everyone enjoys.

We have done a couple of demo days and group rides so far. The last major demo day was at the Western NY Bike Festival at Dryer Road Park and our next demo day is actually this Saturday October 22 starting at 8am with a group ride. Followed up with a demo day from 10-noon and ending with a stop by a local Brewery (Stumblin Monkey or VB).

Hope to see you there!

Willo

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Assuming you have the bike for a while and it's time for new tires...what's the approach?

I'm not familiar or comfortable removing and installing a tubeless tire.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by centoshred View Post
    Assuming you have the bike for a while and it's time for new tires...what's the approach?

I'm not familiar or comfortable removing and installing a tubeless tire.

Thanks again
    Hi Centoshed,

You can request to have the bike built tubeless ready instead of tubeless installed. We would still leave the basics tubeless tape installed for easy future setup. Another option would be to take your bike to a LBS and have them make the tire swap and keep the tubeless system in place. We can install it either way.

Willo

The White Jeff W
    Hi JeffW-13

Yes the E'Ville is named after Ellicottville, NY. That place has some of the best rock garden sections I have ever ridden. It's our hidden treasure chest of mountain biking for Western NY.

Here is the link to the website where you can find the geometry for the E'Ville. Growler Fat Bikes

If your interested in giving it a test ride we are doing a demo day at Dryer Road Park, Victor NY, at 8am - noon this Saturday October 22. The E'Ville is just an absolutely amazing ride. Between the Pike, monarch, and the 27.5+ wheels that bike rips.

Thanks for the info. I was on my phone earlier and couldn't see the geo on it. I wont be able to join you this weekend but joined the meetup group so I can keep an eye out for future demo rides. Im just north of Pittsburgh so hopefully you'll be doing something a little further south at some point. I haven't been to E'ville but it's been on my radar for awhile. Hope to ride there next summer.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice to have a local brand, been riding and preaching about fatbikes for several years now. I may try to swing up for the Demo, but not a sure thing... However, if you ever plan to host a Demo closer to PA... we at WNYMBA could help out, either eville or my local trails HHE www.harrishillext.com. we have had some come up from Pburgh, just over 2.5 hours I believe.

your prices are attractive, and I to must say that I appreciate your timely responses to the questions.

mtbr member
    I appreciate you coming here and introducing yourself and your company, and laying everything out there. But, I just don't understand I guess. There are countless other 'manufacturers' out there doing basically the same thing. Pick a frame design form one of the big Taiwan factories, maybe tweak a couple of numbers, and throw your part spec on and sell it. Maybe your spec is better than others for the price point, I don't know and don't really care as I have no interest in this business model.

If, on the other hand, you hired a couple of local out of work welders, actually designed a frame, sourced the tubes and them had it powder-coated at local establishment, you would have my attention.

I know, too expensive, blah blah blah.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Separate thread initiated in plus bikes forum on the full suspension 27.5+ carbon Growler E'Ville, appears to be is built off of a true 27.5+ boost/plus frame platform. Frame, specs, geometry, Q factor etc on the three Growler hardtail bikes clearly are different, and look to be built off a fat bike platform.

Growler Bikes E'Ville - 27.5+ Carbon Full Suspension for $3k!?!!!

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Rain in the forecast for Victor right up until 8am Saturday. I'd like to join you, but I'll wait until things dry out. I'm about an hour south.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Superb, looking forward to see the pics.
    Please show crank arm clearance from frame on both drive and non drive side, as well as seatstay clearance to tire and chainstay clearance to the tire.

Even if you only manage vee 2xl and 169mm spindle with the turbines, that's a feature few bikes can match and it makes this a very nice product.
    Hi Andy,

I am still waiting for a response from Raceface but as soon as I hear from them I will let you know.

As for the Snowshoe XXL. The question was what is the largest tire that will fit inside of the Growler Mr. Big Stuff. You requested photos so I thought I would do one better I made a short video and uploaded it to the Growler Youtube page. As I stated before this is a very tight fit. Growler does not recommend any tire over 26x4.9". You will get frame rub using a tire of this size especially if your wheel or tire is not true and has any type of wobble. This is also only possible on our rigid setups. The Rochshox Bluto does not have the spacing to allow for anything larger then a 26x4.8" (Surly Bud & Lou).

Here is the link
    https://youtu.be/GjF9GRx_Ld0

As soon as I hear back from Raceface I will let you know.

Willo

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    Rain in the forecast for Victor right up until 8am Saturday. I'd like to join you, but I'll wait until things dry out. I'm about an hour south.
    Hi Burtronix,

Saturday is starting to look a little rough. We will probably cancel the 8am group ride just so that we don't damage the trail but will keep the demo day live.

Hopefully we will see you on the trail soon!

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I appreciate you coming here and introducing yourself and your company, and laying everything out there. But, I just don't understand I guess. There are countless other 'manufacturers' out there doing basically the same thing. Pick a frame design form one of the big Taiwan factories, maybe tweak a couple of numbers, and throw your part spec on and sell it. Maybe your spec is better than others for the price point, I don't know and don't really care as I have no interest in this business model.

If, on the other hand, you hired a couple of local out of work welders, actually designed a frame, sourced the tubes and them had it powder-coated at local establishment, you would have my attention.

I know, too expensive, blah blah blah.
    Hi Bikeny,

I love your passion for American Made American Built bikes. I am also very glad that you are supporting these brands. One of my personal goals is to one day be able to completely manufacture my bikes in my factory in the United States. Hire retired or disabled veterans who are struggling to find jobs or who are just struggling to get back into society. The hell these men and women have to go through to keep us safe is beyond the imagination of the average American public. Maybe my goals will never works out but I have made the personal commitment that as my company grows and when positions open up within my company that these individuals will have first dibs at them.

When it come to too expensive that is all relative to the person making the purchases. I know that I personally on a public servants salary and with a wife and 3 kids would not have the financial means to purchase a Jones Ti 27.5+ for $4000 but that doesn't mean that there are not other like yourself who can afford those amazing and beautiful bikes. I will never hate on you for doing so. I just hope that if you ever join me on a group ride that you let me have a spin on it. haha!

As for supporting local business. Growler Bikes has partnerships with a couple of them. All of our wheels are built by Craig from Mendon Cycle Smith. He is one of the best lefty shock and wheels builders in the nation not to boot just an all around amazing bicycle mind. Our bikes are powder coated and labeled at a company called Qualicoat and the labels for the bikes are locally produced as well. The more I can bring in house the better it is for our brand but that takes lots of financial resources. We as a company are just not at those levels yet. Soon my friend. Very soon!

Thanks for the comment and have fun out on the trails!

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Did you just suggest a growler with a lefty from Craig?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    Did you just suggest a growler with a lefty from Craig?
    Blinder,

That would be a sweet combination. Although I really do enjoy the Bluto, a lefty would also be a smooth ride and If you know Craig then you know Craig does some amazing work at his shop with those lefties.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yup, Craig would be the guy. Super impressed with your response to questions on this board and nice touch with that video with the 2xl

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi Andy,

I am still waiting for a response from Raceface but as soon as I hear from them I will let you know.

As for the Snowshoe XXL. The question was what is the largest tire that will fit inside of the Growler Mr. Big Stuff. You requested photos so I thought I would do one better I made a short video and uploaded it to the Growler Youtube page. As I stated before this is a very tight fit. Growler does not recommend any tire over 26x4.9". You will get frame rub using a tire of this size especially if your wheel or tire is not true and has any type of wobble. This is also only possible on our rigid setups. The Rochshox Bluto does not have the spacing to allow for anything larger then a 26x4.8" (Surly Bud & Lou).

Here is the link
    https://youtu.be/GjF9GRx_Ld0

As soon as I hear back from Raceface I will let you know.

Willo
    Cool, thanks for the great video showing the tire mounted. It does look too tight to ride safely, but it's nice to see that it can be done. Those are 80mm rims right?

When it comes to the q factor though it looks like it's actually 233mm not 193mm

The amount of space pertruding out from the 100mm bb shell point towards a 189,5mm spindle and with the turbine cinch that gives you 233mm q factor. Since the chain wheel is not flipped (it needs to be flipped when using a 169,5mm spindle) with a 197mm rear end I believe you've basically got the widest q factor setup as the bike is set up.

Be careful with quoting too small numbers when it comes to q factor singe the market now gravitated towards tighter q and some people's knees require it. I was blown away when I saw you mention 193q and 2xl in the same thread, but alas that is an impossible dream.

It does look like you could run the 169,5mm spindle on that bike though and that would shave off 20mm and take you to 213mm q. That would require flipping the chain wheel though, but it would make it a much better ride. Try it.

Maybe the next sl cranks on a 169,5 spindle could fit too that would give you 203mm q, but I believe the crank arms would hit the chainstays.

I think the smallest achievable q is 213 on your frame with turbines and a 169,5 spindle.

mtbr member
    Hi Bikeny,

I love your passion for American Made American Built bikes. I am also very glad that you are supporting these brands. One of my personal goals is to one day be able to completely manufacture my bikes in my factory in the United States. Hire retired or disabled veterans who are struggling to find jobs or who are just struggling to get back into society. The hell these men and women have to go through to keep us safe is beyond the imagination of the average American public. Maybe my goals will never works out but I have made the personal commitment that as my company grows and when positions open up within my company that these individuals will have first dibs at them.

When it come to too expensive that is all relative to the person making the purchases. I know that I personally on a public servants salary and with a wife and 3 kids would not have the financial means to purchase a Jones Ti 27.5+ for $4000 but that doesn't mean that there are not other like yourself who can afford those amazing and beautiful bikes. I will never hate on you for doing so. I just hope that if you ever join me on a group ride that you let me have a spin on it. haha!

As for supporting local business. Growler Bikes has partnerships with a couple of them. All of our wheels are built by Craig from Mendon Cycle Smith. He is one of the best lefty shock and wheels builders in the nation not to boot just an all around amazing bicycle mind. Our bikes are powder coated and labeled at a company called Qualicoat and the labels for the bikes are locally produced as well. The more I can bring in house the better it is for our brand but that takes lots of financial resources. We as a company are just not at those levels yet. Soon my friend. Very soon!

Thanks for the comment and have fun out on the trails!

Wheels!
    Thank you very much for the well thought out response! Supporting veterans is always a worthy endeavor, so good on you there. Craig building your wheels is also a big plus as far as I'm concerned. I just looked up Qualicoat, and they are also a local establishment, so more points for you! I also appreciate a fellow New Yorker getting into the game! So it does sound like you are doing things the right way. Hopefully you can get yourself established and branch out from there.

And yeah, I do realize most people can't afford a US made frame these days, which is a shame. I am super grateful that I can afford it, so choose to support US builders when it makes sense. As part owner of an Engineering and manufacturing company, I know it's tough these days to actually produce things in the USA. It seems to me that nobody actually makes anything in the US anymore!

I'm guessing the comments about the Jones come from my profile? I guess I need to get that updated! I did have a second hand Jones for a while, but have moved on from that, so sorry, you can't ride it! Unfortunately, I'm in way southern NY, so a long way from Rochester.

I know you're just getting off the ground, but consider getting dedicated dedicated Plus frames/bikes. A fat bike with plus wheels is fun and all, but it's not the same thing. Narrower hub and BB spacing go a long way.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded response. I will be keeping an eye on Growler and wish you the best of luck with your new company.

Mark

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Y'all didn't show up. And didn't cancel. (publicly).

Hi Burtronix,

Saturday is starting to look a little rough. We will probably cancel the 8am group ride just so that we don't damage the trail but will keep the demo day live.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Y'all didn't show up. And didn't cancel. (publicly).
    August West,

My apologies for not announcing the cancellation on this thread. I did cancel the event due to the weather not clearing up at all over the past 36 hours yesterday on the growler Meetup group. The trails were too wet for the group ride. The practice area was also too wet even for the demos. Usually Dryer Road Park dries very fast but there has been no break in the weather.

Willo

FB&H rider
    Nice video - and as usual, learnin stuff from experienced heads in here. Appreciate the discussion with Andy and you already know I appreciate your support of veterans etc.
    Keep it up!

I hope to see a few reviews/discussions from MTBR members once they start getting them shipped out!

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Hi Burtronix,

Wheels!
    Hey Wheels,

Let us know the reschedule date for demos. I talked you up after a group ride down here, & there might be interest in a road-trip.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Cool, thanks for the great video showing the tire mounted. It does look too tight to ride safely, but it's nice to see that it can be done. Those are 80mm rims right?

When it comes to the q factor though it looks like it's actually 233mm not 193mm

The amount of space pertruding out from the 100mm bb shell point towards a 189,5mm spindle and with the turbine cinch that gives you 233mm q factor. Since the chain wheel is not flipped (it needs to be flipped when using a 169,5mm spindle) with a 197mm rear end I believe you've basically got the widest q factor setup as the bike is set up.

Be careful with quoting too small numbers when it comes to q factor singe the market now gravitated towards tighter q and some people's knees require it. I was blown away when I saw you mention 193q and 2xl in the same thread, but alas that is an impossible dream.

It does look like you could run the 169,5mm spindle on that bike though and that would shave off 20mm and take you to 213mm q. That would require flipping the chain wheel though, but it would make it a much better ride. Try it.

Maybe the next sl cranks on a 169,5 spindle could fit too that would give you 203mm q, but I believe the crank arms would hit the chainstays.

I think the smallest achievable q is 213 on your frame with turbines and a 169,5 spindle.
    Hi Andy,

Sorry it took a few days. I wanted to verify the information once again with Raceface before posting it on the thread.

The Q factor for The Growler Mr. Big Stuff using the Raceface Turbine Cinch (RF189) is 233mm and the Chainline is 78.5mm.

I do apologize for the incorrect information previously.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    Hey Wheels,

Let us know the reschedule date for demos. I talked you up after a group ride down here, & there might be interest in a road-trip.
    Burtronix,

I will absolutely let you know when the next demo day will be! I could also bring the demo down to you. Not to mention it gives me a chance to ride some new trails.

Wheels!

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Burtronix,

I will absolutely let you know when the next demo day will be! I could also bring the demo down to you. Not to mention it gives me a chance to ride some new trails.

Wheels!
    Cool! I'll find out who's up for it & we can PM the specifics.

mtbr member
    WOW, I'm VERY impressed with the responsiveness to the questions on the thread. Not many people get this type of look inside what seems to becoming the norm for small company internet sales. If I had not just purchased a semi-fat ride I'd be extremely interested.
    Congrats and keep up the good work.
    The video was an excellent way to show your point.
    I will be reading along to watch the growth of your company and look forward to seeing the bikes in the flesh if you get down to SE PA somewhere down the line.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you'd like to add a bit more versatility and toughness to the front end of the bikes consider offering the Wren fork not just the Bluto.
    Last edited by gravitylover; 11-01-2016 at 05:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi everyone,

I know a couple of you were interested in demoing the Growler Bikes. To celebrate Global Fat Bike Day we will be hosting the largest gathering of Fat Bike Riders Western NY has ever seen on December 3, 2016 at 8am at Dryer Road Park in Victor NY. Below are more details:

December 3rd, 8am, at Dryer Road Park(7405 Dryer Road, Victor NY, 14564)Growler Performance Fat Bikes is hosting the largest gathering of Fat Bike Riders ever to come together in Western NY to celebrate Global Fat Bike Day. Group ride starts at 8am followed by Growler Performance Fat Bike Demo Day until noon. Growler will be demoing its full line of Fatties, 27.5+, and 29+ plus we will have some freebies to give out. We have groups coming from Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester, and the Southern Tier. Its going to be epic. Bring your fatties and lets ride!

Wheels!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Wheels,

Where is the info on this? I'm not no FB so any info would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Branner!

To celebrate Global Fat Bike Day Growler Performance Bikes will be hosting an epic event at Dryer Road Park(7405 Dryer Road, Victor NY, 14564) at 8am on December 3, 2016.

We will start with a huge group ride. It appears that we will have an epic showing of fatties so we will run three groups: A beginner, intermediate, and advance. Make sure that you bring your proper safety gear and hydration.

After the rides end, Growler Performance Fat Bikes will have all of their bikes available for demoing until noon. We will have the Mr. Big Stuff(Fatty), Mudwasp(27.5+), and Gypsy(29+) available and a bunch of freebies to hand out. We are expecting lots of riders and a great showing.

So if you have a fatty or not grab your bikes and join us for a killer fall ride at Dryer Road Park.

I will also shoot you a private message. If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me here or at info@growlerbikes.com.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks, Wheels!

FB&H rider
    Dang!
    I'm actually off work that day!
    Almost makes me want to hop on a plane!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Well... after a few months of intense shopping for fatbikes, decided to pull the trigger and order the Growler. New ride should be at my doorstep in a few weeks, ready in time for some snow fall, psyched!

Was on the fence between this lesser-known rig and the Specialized Fat Boy. After talking/emailing with Wheels (Growler Bikes owner) a few times I'm convinced this bike is a great value for the money.

Was also appealing for me they're a smaller U.S. based company with a more hands-on approach than some of the big guys (Where else can you deal directly with the owner?)

Looks like Xmas is coming early, will try to post some pics once the new horse arrives. Peace, Out!
    Last edited by Potsy12; 11-24-2016 at 06:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi Everyone,

Many have asked for more information on our demo event on December 3, 2016 so here you go. If anyone has any questions please feel free to reach out to me.

Wheels

Growler Fat Bikes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Growler Performance Fat Bikes-global-fat-bike-day-flyer.jpg  

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    I wanted to also speak to the wonderful customer service and passion that Wheels has for this. I have been working with him on a very special to me Fat Bike and his vision and excitement is contagious. He seems to know exactly what I want and he goes way beyond in making it happen. This is where you next bike should come from.

mtbr member
    I had an ice cream truck order go well into the new year and stumbled across your thread.

The fatty looks saucy. Is there a way to do a different wheel setup than the default? Really want to do my other brother darryls with bud and lou (or shipped without wheels and could have lbs rig it up)

Also, how much of a difference is there stepping up to the sram eagle? Much wider range of gearing? I like to stomp down hard on the flats and a normal 1by doesn't give me the full speed i feel like i could produce

Hope to figure something out would like to support a fellow smallbiz

Lastly any more info on the paint customization would get my trousers tight! (Colors, frame and fork can be different, etc.)

~DrFudge

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCTORFUDGEPIPE View Post
    I had an ice cream truck order go well into the new year and stumbled across your thread.

The fatty looks saucy. Is there a way to do a different wheel setup than the default? Really want to do my other brother darryls with bud and lou (or shipped without wheels and could have lbs rig it up)

Also, how much of a difference is there stepping up to the sram eagle? Much wider range of gearing? I like to stomp down hard on the flats and a normal 1by doesn't give me the full speed i feel like i could produce

Hope to figure something out would like to support a fellow smallbiz

Lastly any more info on the paint customization would get my trousers tight! (Colors, frame and fork can be different, etc.)

~DrFudge
    DrFudgePipe!

Glad you found us. We only stock the Sunringle Mulefut 80SL but do have access to the Surly My Other Brother Rims. They would be matched to our Sunringle SRC hubs as we use a 197mm rear hub and a 150mm front hub. Because all of our wheels are hand built we can easily make this request happen it will just take an extra week to have them assembled.

The Sram Eagle 1x12 is an amazing drive train. It is by far the best shifting drivetrain I have every ridden. That is incredible considering how far the rear derailleur has to be manipulated to compensate for a 10t and a 50t on the same cassette. With that being said there are also a couple of things you can do to improve the usability of a 1x11 as well. We use a 32t front chainring as our standard setup but based on a customer's needs we can modify the front chainring to a larger or smaller ring as needed based on request.

One of my favorite options Growler offers is the customization of the paint scheme. We have worked with many customers who are requesting some pretty sick one off Growlers. Everything from a simple custom base color frames with custom logos to an insane WWII build to honor a customers grandfathers who was a great aviator for our United States Military during WWII. If you can think of it I can deliver. Please let me know what you are thinking and I will send you a mock up of your build.

I am sure a couple of the members on this thread can attest to how much fun it is to create a one off Growler bike build.

Hopefully this was helpful.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Doctor Wheelies,
    Thank you for the reply. I'd love to see pictures of What others have done. What is the best means of communication with you? At my behest please no string and soupcan as mine is being fixed

<[DrFpipe]>

FB&H rider
    Wheels!
    I spend too much time on your site for someone who's not buying for a while.
    Sounds like for a lot of the customization we can just ask... I don't see anything for colors on the site - do we just ask you for a color - maybe pick out the basics and go from there or do you have a palette somewhere?

The eagle does look really amazing.... I've started with an X5 and it's solid, but whether I go for the stock GX or upgrade I'm sure it will rock!

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    I can answer to the question of colors and ideas. I emailed Wheels and told him my vision. In no time he presented me with an awesome mockup and then it just went from there. His passion for this shows and he has great ideas on how to make your dream come alive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I just wanted to say this is impressive. A website easier to navigate than most big names', a product where you get to speak to the mind behind instead of a minimum wage clerk, components sourced from the biggest names with real-world experience and a warranty from someone who has stake in the game. Sure, some of you could build these from frames for similar $$ but coming from someone who's started, developed and sold several small companies these people have done, and continue to do what appears to be a hell of a job. I ride a Lefty Cannondale and am happy with it, but my son has worn his out and will be going this way. My $.02. Happy riding. And keep up the good work Growler!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    PhdPepper,

Half the fun of choosing your next bike is spending a few months dreaming about all of the possibilities. The day will come when you will be shredding in the woods on your few fatty with a custom design. We have something in the works called the Color Lab. It is currently in beta and will be available in a few weeks. When that program is up and running on the website all you will have to do is select a color combination that is available. If for some reason you can't find the combination you are looking for you can always email me at info@growlerbikes.com.

As for now you can just email me your request and we can brainstorm some sick ideas. I will usually give you a mock up of the bike build concept you are looking for. It is one of my favorite things to do with my customers except for getting out on the trail and riding.

Please feel free to email your ideas and I will be glad to send you concept drawings.

Wheels!

wanna ride bikes?
    any plans to do XL frames?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi OneSpeed,

We do not currently have a XL frame option but one will be available for next years models. Currently we offer a Small(15.5"), Medium(17.5"), and a Large (19").

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi everyone,

I have been getting asked quite often over the past few weeks what colors we are able to produce on Growler Bikes. I launched a new section on our site call the Color Lab. It will give you a better idea on what is possible when you order a Growler Performance Fat Bike with a custom powder coat and logo option. If for some reason you can't find the color combination on the site that you would like please feel free to shoot us a message and I will work with you to get exactly the color you are looking for.

Color Lab - Growler Fat Bikes

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Custom Powder Coated Frames

I also thought some of you would like to see the process at which we create some of these one off frame designs. Enjoy!

Wheels!
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-photo-nov-23-2-13-57-pm.jpg
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-photo-nov-23-2-13-35-pm.jpg
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-photo-nov-23-2-13-26-pm.jpg
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-photo-nov-23-2-11-02-pm.jpg
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-photo-nov-23-1-48-32-pm.jpg
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-photo-nov-23-1-25-52-pm.jpg
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-photo-nov-23-1-19-32-pm.jpg
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-photo-nov-23-1-08-53-pm.jpg
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-photo-nov-23-1-08-40-pm.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-photo-nov-23-1-08-17-pm.jpg
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-photo-nov-23-1-08-13-pm.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Nov 23, 1 08 13 PM.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	1106923
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-photo-nov-21-3-16-17-pm.jpg
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-photo-nov-21-3-13-46-pm.jpg
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-photo-nov-21-3-07-07-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Just want to say, so far I've been super impressed with my experience with working with Willo ("Wheels") on my Growler bike order. Last week he reached out to me and actually said I could pick out both my frame color and logo color....how many bike companies do that!

Btw- The gray frame and ice blue logos in the pics above are my Growler bike, super cool to see my actual bike in the assembly...thanks for posting those Wheels! Looks awesome, can't wait!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast