Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 279
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68

    Cool-blue Rhythm Growler Performance Fat Bikes

    Hi everyone!

    My name is Willo Glynn and I am the owner of Growler Performance Fat Bikes. We are a direct to consumer independent bicycle manufacture based in Farmington NY that specializes in light weight high performance plus and fat bikes. Growler Performance Bikes is more than just a manufacturer that pumps out amazing bikes. We are a community of riders who understand that biking is more than the machines we ride. It’s about the people who ride our bikes and the journeys those bikes allow us to experience.

    I started this thread to allow our community a place to discuss, comment, and ask questions directly with the designer/manufacturer and other Growler Bike Owners. You can find technical information about our bikes at Growler Fat Bikes or post your questions on this forum thread and I will personally answer them for you.

    If you want to join our community on a more personal level we hold group rides every week. This is a great place to meet others with similar interest. Join our group at meetup.com.

    Hope to see you all on the trails. Until then enjoy the ride!

    Willohttps://youtu.be/kNKI2AqCL80

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flugelbinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    274
    Beautiful frame and a nice price for the complete build.
    Do you sell the frame alone?

  3. #3
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,364
    Geometry chart anywhere?
    No moss...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Erock503's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Geometry chart anywhere?
    If you go their page, there is geo info under the FAQ's.

    Really impressed with the specs on these bikes for the cash.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Hi Flugelbinder!

    We do sell the frame only but not through our website. *The website only offers our complete builds. *The frame is $649 for the Mr. Big Stuff (Fat Bike), Mudwasp (27.5+), or Gypsy (29+). *

    Frame Specs:
    * Growler 6061 Hydroformed Aluminum frame.
    * Internal Cable Routing
    * 197mm Rear hub Spacing
    * 100mm BSA english threaded threaded BB
    * 69 degree head tube angle
    * Tapered Headset (Bluto Compatible)

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Hi Jeffw-13

    Our website does have the geometry but in hindsight it does appear to be buried on the site and I will fix that very soon. I added the Geometry for the Growler Mr. Big Stuff fat bike below. If there is anything specific questions about the geometry that is not listed please let me know.

    Growler Mr. Big Stuff Geometry

    Size Medium 17.5”
    T/T Length 590mm
    Seat Tube 457mm
    Seat Tube Angle 74°
    Head Tube Angle 69°
    BB Drop 56mm
    Head Tube Length 120mm
    Fork Lenth 468mm
    Front Center 676.2mm
    Rear Center 460mm
    Material 6061 Hydroformed Aluminum
    Weight (Frame) 1910 Grames
    Wheelbase 1135.5mm
    Last edited by GrowlerBikes; 10-16-2016 at 12:03 PM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flugelbinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock503 View Post
    If you go their page, there is geo info under the FAQ's.

    Really impressed with the specs on these bikes for the cash.
    Me too, me too... finally...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowlerBikes View Post
    Hi Flugelbinder!

    We do sell the frame only but not through our website. *The website only offers our complete builds. *The frame is $649 for the Mr. Big Stuff (Fat Bike), Mudwasp (27.5+), or Gypsy (29+). *

    Frame Specs:
    * Growler 6061 Hydroformed Aluminum frame.
    * Internal Cable Routing
    * 197mm Rear hub Spacing
    * 100mm BSA english threaded threaded BB
    * 69 degree head tube angle
    * Tapered Headset (Bluto Compatible)

    I forgot to add that we powder coat all of our frames. To up the value even more you can even get your bike finished in any custom color (Basic Colors) at no additional charge. Toss out the color combo you wish I will make it happen.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Flugelbinder View Post
    Me too, me too... finally...
    The basis for all of our bikes was to create a serious trail bike that needs no upgrades. We have done all the upgrading for you by replacing components like the handlebars and seat post with FSA's UD Carbon, fully installed (not just compatible like others do) the tubeless systems on all of our bikes so that our owners don't have to. we went overboard on the brakes and added the Magura MT5 4 Piston Hydraulic brakes with Magura 180/180 rotors (talk about stopping power). We dropped the WTB Volt saddle and Answer Fall Line XC locking grips for all day riding comfort. We loaded it with drivetrain options starting at the SRAM GX with Raceface Crankset all the way up to the SRAM Eagle 1x12 Drivetrain there is not much more you could possible want.

    Except there is more. We also designed the Mr. Big Stuff to accept interchangeable wheelsets with Sunringle Mulefut 50SL 27.5+ and 29+. Every wheelset will be delivered with matching cassettes and rotors. It takes less then 2 minutes to swap out the wheels and off you go. The Mr. Big Stuff with 27.5+ Wheelsets turns it into the Mudwasp and drops the weight down to 27lbs with the Bluto, 26lbs if you kept it rigid.

    If your ever in the Rochester NY or Western NY area try to make it out to one of our weekly group rides. There is always a spare demo bike out on the trail for anyone to take.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flugelbinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowlerBikes View Post
    The basis for all of our bikes was to create a serious trail bike that needs no upgrades. We have done all the upgrading for you by replacing components like the handlebars and seat post with FSA's UD Carbon, fully installed (not just compatible like others do) the tubeless systems on all of our bikes so that our owners don't have to. we went overboard on the brakes and added the Magura MT5 4 Piston Hydraulic brakes with Magura 180/180 rotors (talk about stopping power). We dropped the WTB Volt saddle and Answer Fall Line XC locking grips for all day riding comfort. We loaded it with drivetrain options starting at the SRAM GX with Raceface Crankset all the way up to the SRAM Eagle 1x12 Drivetrain there is not much more you could possible want.

    Except there is more. We also designed the Mr. Big Stuff to accept interchangeable wheelsets with Sunringle Mulefut 50SL 27.5+ and 29+. Every wheelset will be delivered with matching cassettes and rotors. It takes less then 2 minutes to swap out the wheels and off you go. The Mr. Big Stuff with 27.5+ Wheelsets turns it into the Mudwasp and drops the weight down to 27lbs with the Bluto, 26lbs if you kept it rigid.

    If your ever in the Rochester NY or Western NY area try to make it out to one of our weekly group rides. There is always a spare demo bike out on the trail for anyone to take.
    I would definitely take that offer, but unfortunately I'm in Toronto...

  11. #11
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    25,773
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowlerBikes View Post
    The basis for all of our bikes was to create a serious trail bike that needs no upgrades. We have done all the upgrading for you by replacing components like the handlebars and seat post with FSA's UD Carbon, fully installed (not just compatible like others do) the tubeless systems on all of our bikes so that our owners don't have to. we went overboard on the brakes and added the Magura MT5 4 Piston Hydraulic brakes with Magura 180/180 rotors (talk about stopping power). We dropped the WTB Volt saddle and Answer Fall Line XC locking grips for all day riding comfort. We loaded it with drivetrain options starting at the SRAM GX with Raceface Crankset all the way up to the SRAM Eagle 1x12 Drivetrain there is not much more you could possible want.

    Except there is more. We also designed the Mr. Big Stuff to accept interchangeable wheelsets with Sunringle Mulefut 50SL 27.5+ and 29+. Every wheelset will be delivered with matching cassettes and rotors. It takes less then 2 minutes to swap out the wheels and off you go. The Mr. Big Stuff with 27.5+ Wheelsets turns it into the Mudwasp and drops the weight down to 27lbs with the Bluto, 26lbs if you kept it rigid.

    If your ever in the Rochester NY or Western NY area try to make it out to one of our weekly group rides. There is always a spare demo bike out on the trail for anyone to take.
    Interesting choice with the mineral oil Maguras. I know my Shimanos work down to -20, but they are pretty sluggish at that temp, and not all mineral oil is the same, they can have some radically different properties. How do the Maguras work at -20?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    9
    Wow, just checked out the website...pretty impressive specs for the money! I was ready to pull the trigger on a Specialized Fatboy but now am seriously considering the Growler fatty. For $100 more than the full ridgid Fatboy, can get a Growler Fatty with a Bluto and better spec'd bike.

    I've always run the Shimano brakes in cold weather with no issue (in single digit temps), anticipate the mineral oil Maguras will also perform just fine.

    Anyone else catch the full suspension 27.5+ carbon Growler E-Ville w/ Eagle drivetrain for <$4k also on their site? Sick!!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Interesting choice with the mineral oil Maguras. I know my Shimanos work down to -20, but they are pretty sluggish at that temp, and not all mineral oil is the same, they can have some radically different properties. How do the Maguras work at -20?
    Hi Jayem,
    One of our major concerns we had using any brake system with Mineral Oil compared to the DOT was brake fade at extremely low temperature as these bikes are build to perform in the toughest conditions possible. According to Magura the brakes will show no brake fade even when the temperatures drop into the negatives as long as you are using the factory installed Royal Blood mineral oil they offer. We have tested these brakes in tempetkres as low as -2 without any mechanical issues what so ever. The Magura MT5 gave us the maximum stopping power using the 4 piston caliper which is more often seen on a gravity bike then a fat bike while still being able to handle the extremely cold February weather that we see here in Western NY. I know -2 and -20 are two different extremes but any issue should have appeared at anything below 0. Our testing has proven these to be extremely reliable in these tough conditions.

  14. #14
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,075
    Impressive price on the 27.5+ full suspension carbon!
    I'm not in the market, but if i was...

  15. #15
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    25,773
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowlerBikes View Post
    Hi Jayem,
    One of our major concerns we had using any brake system with Mineral Oil compared to the DOT was brake fade at extremely low temperature as these bikes are build to perform in the toughest conditions possible. According to Magura the brakes will show no brake fade even when the temperatures drop into the negatives as long as you are using the factory installed Royal Blood mineral oil they offer. We have tested these brakes in tempetkres as low as -2 without any mechanical issues what so ever. The Magura MT5 gave us the maximum stopping power using the 4 piston caliper which is more often seen on a gravity bike then a fat bike while still being able to handle the extremely cold February weather that we see here in Western NY. I know -2 and -20 are two different extremes but any issue should have appeared at anything below 0. Our testing has proven these to be extremely reliable in these tough conditions.
    Naw, I find the brakes really start slowing down around -15 or so, that's where you start seeing issues with the mineral oil, but then again, mineral oil is not standard and it varies significantly. If you are getting fade at -2, then my hat's off to you for being able to ride steep stuff that fast at -2. It's not fade so much that we worry about on fatbikes, it's cold temp performance. Brake fade is when the brakes are overheating and they become less effective. Really, maximum stopping power doesn't really come up as a huge priority, we can actually get by with some pretty minimalist rotors (and brakes) on fatbikes in the winter, because you aren't going all that fast most of the time and the heat is dissipated well. The colder the temps get, the slower the bike rolls, so the problem kind of solves itself. -20 is about my limit, but it's not uncommon to have pools of cold air in low spots where it can be easily 10 degrees colder.

    -2 is cold for most people, no doubt there.

    Anyway, good looking spec on the bike. I do like the design philosophy. Seeing a few more bikes like this too as of late. I guess it's all about how much people want to spend, but makes a lot of sense to "get it right first".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Impressive price on the 27.5+ full suspension carbon!
    I'm not in the market, but if i was...
    3k for an fs plus complete, curious about the GX level build and geo, any details; couldn't find them on the website.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Naw, I find the brakes really start slowing down around -15 or so, that's where you start seeing issues with the mineral oil, but then again, mineral oil is not standard and it varies significantly. If you are getting fade at -2, then my hat's off to you for being able to ride steep stuff that fast at -2. It's not fade so much that we worry about on fatbikes, it's cold temp performance. Brake fade is when the brakes are overheating and they become less effective. Really, maximum stopping power doesn't really come up as a huge priority, we can actually get by with some pretty minimalist rotors (and brakes) on fatbikes in the winter, because you aren't going all that fast most of the time and the heat is dissipated well. The colder the temps get, the slower the bike rolls, so the problem kind of solves itself.

    -2 is cold for most people, no doubt there.

    Anyway, good looking spec on the bike.

    My apology Jayem,

    In my mind I was thinking sluggishness of a brake not fade but I was typing fade. Either way we are NOT seeing any issues at -2 which is the lowest temperature that we have had real world testing done in. Once again -20 is a different environment in which not much wants to work properly. Thats is why we leaned on Magura's expertise in braking systems. They had many option just as other company do and according to theirs and our testing the Royal Blood improved the braking performance in sub zero weather.

    Thanks for the comments!

  18. #18
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    25,773
    Some good info on brakes, cold and fluids:

    Technical FAQ: More on disc brakes in cold weather | VeloNews.com

    Tech Speak: Brake Fluid Break Down & Implications for Road Disc - Bikerumor

    Interesting take from shimano above that it's not so much the fluid, but the seals, that cause the sluggish performance and eventual failure in the cold.

    DOT Brake Fluid vs. Mineral Oil - and the Winner is.. | Epic Bleed Solutions

    According to the above article, the Magura Royal Blood is actually the fluid below:

    http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/B214799C3DE49442802577960030663D/$File/466992_XI_en.pdf

    I wouldn't fret about this much, if you are riding all the time in -20 and colder, you're going to need some other mods anyway, especially on your body
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Some good info on brakes, cold and fluids:

    Technical FAQ: More on disc brakes in cold weather | VeloNews.com

    Tech Speak: Brake Fluid Break Down & Implications for Road Disc - Bikerumor

    Interesting take from shimano above that it's not so much the fluid, but the seals, that cause the sluggish performance and eventual failure in the cold.

    DOT Brake Fluid vs. Mineral Oil - and the Winner is.. | Epic Bleed Solutions

    According to the above article, the Magura Royal Blood is actually the fluid below:

    http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/B214799C3DE49442802577960030663D/$File/466992_XI_en.pdf
    Great info Jayem,

    Thanks for adding these articles. They contain a great amount of technical information related to brake fluids and their performance related to temperature.

    Willo

  20. #20
    FB&H rider
    Reputation: PhdPepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    232
    Growler,
    I've been interested in your bikes for a while and am definitely looking at yours as a possible option for my next fattie (along with a Kona Wozo or a Mayor); it's great to see you hit production!
    Along with a number of other folks here, one issue I have with most companies is shipping overseas.
    I'm stationed in Germany, so APO would theoretically be an option (they tell me they'll take bikes), but most companies have said they won't ship APO.
    Will you ship APO or internationally?
    Beautiful looking entries and definitely attractive price points!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'


    2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    Growler,
    I've been interested in your bikes for a while and am definitely looking at yours as a possible option for my next fattie (along with a Kona Wozo or a Mayor); it's great to see you hit production!
    Along with a number of other folks here, one issue I have with most companies is shipping overseas.
    I'm stationed in Germany, so APO would theoretically be an option (they tell me they'll take bikes), but most companies have said they won't ship APO.
    Will you ship APO or internationally?
    Beautiful looking entries and definitely attractive price points!
    Hi PhdPepper,

    Although shipping is more difficult internationally it would be my honor to ship our bikes to any service member serving overseas.

    We will worry about the logistics all you need to worry about is which build kit you would like to enjoy while you serve in Germany. For military personnel all I need is the APO information. I will private message you in a few minutes.

    Willo

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: IPA Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowlerBikes View Post
    ... there is not much more you could possible want.
    Nice specs for the price, but there is plenty more to want...and this is my frustration with so many of the online fatbike businesses that ARE providing decent bikes at nice prices, but don't provide competition for the big companies' higher end models (there is LaMere, but they aren't competing THAT well on price).

    So...wheel upgrades would be up there on my list...add a few others to offer a really competitively priced bike in the 25lb range would get my attention.

    I appreciate that you are not just throwing on cheap AL bars and posts, but ya...more...
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    Nice specs for the price, but there is plenty more to want...and this is my frustration with so many of the online fatbike businesses that ARE providing decent bikes at nice prices, but don't provide competition for the big companies' higher end models (there is LaMere, but they aren't competing THAT well on price).

    So...wheel upgrades would be up there on my list...add a few others to offer a really competitively priced bike in the 25lb range would get my attention.

    I appreciate that you are not just throwing on cheap AL bars and posts, but ya...more...
    Thanks for the feedback IPA Rider. Here at Growler we are never satisfied with what we have created and are always looking for ways to improve. Wheelsets have the greatest effect on performance especially when were are discussing fat bikes. Moving to carbon wheelsets puts the bicycle in a different category and price point altogether.

    When I created Growler Performance Bikes I established a Philosophy to create better bikes at lower prices in each category we compete in. As our offerings grow I hope to compete with the likes of LaMere in the next couple of years. They have some amazing bikes and no one can deny that.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    6
    I can't seem to find the geometry for the large, and you only list the medium...

    Ooops found it. Pretty small. Any hope of seeing an XL?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    GuidoStow,

    GuidoStow,

    The large 19" will be the largest frame size we carry this year for the Growler Mr. Big Stuff. Based on real world experiences many riders feel our bikes tend feel larger then the numbers suggest. Just for reference I am 5'10" and the medium frame fits me perfectly. Obviously preference is a very personal thing. If you are ever in western New York we hold demo days and group rides often. It gives riders an opportunity to test the models that best fit their needs.

    Willo

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    93
    Would there happen to be plans on building a fs fat bike? Something in aluminum would be nice to keep cost down, though surely there are a lot of people wanting carbon.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    18

    No trouble with hydros in cold weather

    I have been riding in cold weather MTB for 15+ years in as low a 0 degrees F.
    I have used dot and mineral oil brakes in these conditions and have never noticed any issues with brake performance. Yes - there is a slightly slower response, but there was no trouble stopping or rotor clearance, etc.
    In my humble opinion, it is absolutely nothing to worry about.
    If you are riding in -30, I have no idea...Ill be inside

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    18
    FYI - I am in Rochester and have ridden both the Mud Wasp and Mr. Big Stuff and love the bikes. You will not find bikes in this price range with this quality build...and you will like working directly with the owner as opposed to some call center!
    His name is Willo (pronounced wee-low) but everyone calls him "Wheels" because no one is more passionate about bikes than this dude!

  29. #29
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,953
    You call yourself a manufacturer, but at the prices you're offering, I'm having a hard time believing that you're actually doing any manufacturing. Most domestic manufacturers charge those prices for frames alone, not a complete build. Perhaps it might be more accurate to call yourselves assemblers and direct to consumer retailers... Or are you really building your frames at that price, as opposed to having them built?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flugelbinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    You call yourself a manufacturer, but at the prices you're offering, I'm having a hard time believing that you're actually doing any manufacturing. Most domestic manufacturers charge those prices for frames alone, not a complete build. Perhaps it might be more accurate to call yourselves assemblers and direct to consumer retailers... Or are you really building your frames at that price, as opposed to having them built?
    I can't wait to hear the answer, but greed quickly comes to mind... but that's just me, I'm sure the manufacturers you talk about have twice as much production costs than Willo...

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ducman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    You call yourself a manufacturer, but at the prices you're offering, I'm having a hard time believing that you're actually doing any manufacturing. Most domestic manufacturers charge those prices for frames alone, not a complete build. Perhaps it might be more accurate to call yourselves assemblers and direct to consumer retailers... Or are you really building your frames at that price, as opposed to having them built?
    How many bike companies build their frames themselves opposed to having them built by someone else? Even my AL USA built Turner is not built by Turner

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    515
    Is Growler using open frame designs or are these frames manufactured specifically for Growler and it's bikes?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    You call yourself a manufacturer, but at the prices you're offering, I'm having a hard time believing that you're actually doing any manufacturing. Most domestic manufacturers charge those prices for frames alone, not a complete build. Perhaps it might be more accurate to call yourselves assemblers and direct to consumer retailers... Or are you really building your frames at that price, as opposed to having them built?
    Hi Gigantic,

    Thanks for taking the time to comment on the Growler thread. I really do enjoy discussing bikes with just about anyone who will listen. MTBR is a great platform for Growler Performance Bikes to have a more personal relationship with the biking community and our customers. MTBR is an amazing group of bike lovers who at the end of the day just want to get out and ride with their friends. That is the same community that I am creating using Growler Performance Bikes as my platform. I just want people to enjoy riding and the adventures our bikes bring us.

    Gigantic, you bring up an interesting conversation about the cost of manufacturing in the United States compared to the cost of manufacturing internationally. To discuss manufacturing, I will cover the 3 major topics related to bicycle manufacturing: Location, Quality, and Cost

    Location: Growler Performance Bike’s bicycles, like the majority of bicycle “assemblers and direct to consumer retailers” are manufactured by partner companies outside of the United States. There are only 3 major manufacturers of bicycles in the world and combined, produce over 2 billion bicycles every year for some of the largest name brand bikes in the industry including the likes of Trek, Cannondale, Scott, Specialized, Giant and even the beautiful 9zero7 fat bike you ride (9zero7 design and test in Alaska but produced in Taiwan).

    Here is a link to a much longer list of these companies.
    Where has my bicycle been made?


    More interestingly is that many of these brands share the same partners, factories, manufacturing equipment, R&D and intellectual property. These major brands utilize these partners and processes for multiple reasons which include but are not limited to quality control, logistics and production cost. The only partner manufacturer I was able to locate in the United States that actually manufactured their bikes locally was Zen Fabrication in Portland OR. They went out of business last year because they were unable to get an OEM to manufacture American made frames by the 100s at 7x the cost as it is to have them manufactured overseas. Which brings me to my next two points.

    Quality: Our manufacturing partner in Taiwan produces our bicycle frames using the same equipment, resources, technology, and standards as multiple bikes on the link above. Production quality and preproduction testing was the most important aspects of the manufacturing process for us at Growler Performance Bikes. Our manufacturing partner strictly abide by the standards issued by the ISO and there for limit the quality consistency and production issues that may arise. These mega factories have the resources and expertise to manufacture large quantity of bicycles with amazing precision.

    Cost: There are a couple of reasons why Growler Performance Bikes has the ability to offer such well spec’d bikes at such a competitive price point. First, like Flugelbinder stated, we don’t have all of the overhead that a company such as Trek or Giant has. Overhead has a tremendous effect on pricing. Secondly, we do produce our frames in Taiwan in large quantities which allow us to reduce production and shipping cost associated. Once the frames arrive at our warehouse they are assembled. This process includes other local companies that are well known for their expertise in things such as powder coating and wheel building. Lastly, we sell our products direct to consumer. Direct to consumer sales model saves the consumer on average of 39% on every bike as it doesn’t have to go through another company’s hands($$$). Consumers such as those using MTBR have become internet savvy over the years and are now more comfortable making large purchases of goods over the internet. Canyon in Europe has done an excellent job capturing the online bike sales market by selling quality bicycles at lower prices than its competitor. I know that if I could get a better product at a better price I would certainly consider the option.

    In closing, Growler Performance Bikes is as much an OEM as the 9zero7 you ride and all the major bike brands we consider manufacturers. Where we see success is in running a very slim operation avoiding the waste that major corporations accumulate over the years. Combine that with our direct to consumer sales model and Growler Performance Bikes has created amazingly well spec’d bikes at very competitive price points.

    I am going riding!

    Willo (Wheels) Glynn

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Is Growler using open frame designs or are these frames manufactured specifically for Growler and it's bikes?
    Hi Negotiator50,

    The quick answer to your question is yes and yes. To explain in more detail. All of our frames are based on an open source frame design that has already been developed and tested by our a partnering design firm. The frames will then be put through thorough field testing and changes will be made to each preproduction sample. Head tube angles, BB heights, ect. Once these items have been adjusted to fit our performance standards the bikes will be sent back for lab testing based on ISO standards and a set of prototypes will be developed specifically for Growler Performance Bikes. This process repeats itself until we achieve the performance design we were looking for out of our bikes. The process is very similar to building cars. Every car in a class has very similar design and functionality. What separates the products are the small tweaks the manufacturer adds or changes to enhance the performance of the products.

    Willo

  35. #35
    FB&H rider
    Reputation: PhdPepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    232
    Willo,
    Thanks for the detailed responses!
    I've learned some new stuff today!
    I've looked at the bikes you have and one question that you or others may be able to answer is what is the biggest/fattest tire you think will fit front/back. From the site I'm seeing 4" but often I've found folks able to squeeze in a little fatter.
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'


    2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    Willo,
    Thanks for the detailed responses!
    I've learned some new stuff today!
    I've looked at the bikes you have and one question that you or others may be able to answer is what is the biggest/fattest tire you think will fit front/back. From the site I'm seeing 4" but often I've found folks able to squeeze in a little fatter.
    The absolute fattest tire that will fit inside of the Growler Mr. Big Stuff is the Snow Shoe XXL (26x5.05") setup tubeless on a rigid frame. This is a very tight fit along the chain line but it will slide in and is functional. It is also the most ridicules thing you will ever see and it rocks! If you are looking for the Growler Mr. Big Stuff with the Rockshox Bluto then the largest we have tested that fit properly is the Surly Bud and Lou and it had about an inch of clearance inside of the Bluto. The Rockshox Bluto is what is limiting the tire size.

    If anyone has put anything larger inside of a Bluto please share.

    Willo

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flugelbinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowlerBikes View Post
    The absolute fattest tire that will fit inside of the Growler Mr. Big Stuff is the Snow Shoe XXL (26x5.05") setup tubeless on a rigid frame. This is a very tight fit along the chain line but it will slide in and is functional. It is also the most ridicules thing you will ever see and it rocks!...
    Willo
    Mmmmmm...

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flugelbinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    Willo,
    Thanks for the detailed responses!
    I've learned some new stuff today!...
    Absolutely!
    I've been following this thread with great attention; even as a rookie is easy to see a great deal when it's presented.
    When I first realized how inflated the market was (about two months ago, when all this started for me), particularly when it comes to fat bikes even in the used market, it was a big discouraging as I began to enjoy riding more and more and started to upgrade my recently bought (used) bicycle; the prohibited price point of a new offer is what sent me to the used market, because if you're going to upgrade anyway, one might as well start with the cheapest possible platform.
    That was my line of thought till I saw Willo's offers and realized that I could have done a better deal (and some of you know how happy I am/was? with the choice I had made) and gotten a much better bike for not much more...

  39. #39
    Gimme free stuff
    Reputation: tims5377's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    550
    Duuuuuuuuuuuude. Nice looking bikes! I'm disappointed that you aren't offering an XL this year. I would love to test it at the very least!

    My biggest question is WHY HAVEN'T I HEARD OF YOU??? I live in Rochester and am pretty familiar with the mtb scene. Market, market, market! I would 100% suport a local brand if I knew you existed! It seems like you have been at least in development for quite some time and should have been marketing all along!

    I joined your meetup. I'd love to try a L, although at 6'3" I am betting it will be a tight fit. Do a Tryon or West Bay demo day and I'll be there! I can try and get more people there too, send me a pm!

    Also, if you are looking for any design engineers, hit me up
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent (For Sale)
    Pugsley (For Sale)

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: IPA Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    342
    I appreciate the candid and informative responses...here are a few more questions:

    what is the q-factor on Mr. Big Stuff?

    also, I'm assuming the weight listing is with tubes and rigid fork, yes?
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    562
    Super impressed with Growler's responsiveness to this thread. Nice work with the transparency

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowlerBikes View Post
    Hi Jeffw-13

    Our website does have the geometry but in hindsight it does appear to be buried on the site and I will fix that very soon. I added the Geometry for the Growler Mr. Big Stuff fat bike below. If there is anything specific questions about the geometry that is not listed please let me know.

    Growler Mr. Big Stuff Geometry

    Size Medium 17.5”
    T/T Length 590mm
    Seat Tube 457mm
    Seat Tube Angle 74°
    Head Tube Angle 69°
    BB Drop 56mm
    Head Tube Length 120mm
    Fork Lenth 468mm
    Front Center 676.2mm
    Rear Center 460mm
    Material 6061 Hydroformed Aluminum
    Weight (Frame) 1910 Grames
    Wheelbase 1135.5mm
    This is not at all consistent with the chart on the Mr. Big Stuff page. Which is the real geometry?

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by yeroc40 View Post
    This is not at all consistent with the chart on the Mr. Big Stuff page. Which is the real geometry?

    Yeroc40,

    Thanks for catching this! The geometry under the Growler Mr. Big Stuff is the correct Geometry. The accidentally posted the geometry to the Growler Big Stout which was the original bike that was being offered and no longer exist. The Growler Big Stout was a 18" frame instead of a 17.5" frame design. I have reposted the correct geometry below. I apologize for the way it is formatted I could not get table to have a traditionally look on MTBR.

    Frame Size
    17.5" Medium

    Seat Tube (mm)
    445
    BB to Ground
    319
    Seat Tube Angle
    73
    Standover at BB
    748
    Top Tube
    575
    Chain Stay
    460
    Head Tube Angle
    69
    Head Tube Length
    120
    Wheelbase
    1117
    Effective Top Tube
    598.31

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    3
    Hello and thank you for your time Willo.

    I have reviewed your site...what is the pricing on the additional wheelset? Say buying the 27.5+ with the mr. big stuff?

    Thanks,
    Alex

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    I appreciate the candid and informative responses...here are a few more questions:

    what is the q-factor on Mr. Big Stuff?

    also, I'm assuming the weight listing is with tubes and rigid fork, yes?
    Great questions IPA Rider.

    The Growler Mr. Big Stuff has a Q-factor of 193mm when using the Raceface Turbine Cinch 1x Crankset.

    Raceface Website has great details in relation to their cranks
    http://www.raceface.com/media/Crank_...chainlines.pdf

    Every bike that is delivered to our customers will be delivered tubeless. We take care of setting up the bikes tubeless for a couple of reasons beyond the performance aspect. A) It is a pain in the ass to setup if you don't have much experience in doing so. B) It is just another cost to the consumer after they purchase a new bike that I could eliminate without increasing over cost of the bikes.

    We will add tubes back into the wheelsets if requested which has occurred.

    Willo

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by centoshred View Post
    Hello and thank you for your time Willo.

    I have reviewed your site...what is the pricing on the additional wheelset? Say buying the 27.5+ with the mr. big stuff?

    Thanks,
    Alex
    Hi Alex,

    Thanks for taking the time to visit the website and posting a comment here. Inside of the shop you can find more details about the optional wheelsets.

    Here is the link
    Growler Fat Bikes

    The interchangeable wheelsets is priced at $500 for the 11speed and $800 for the SRAM Eagle 12 speed.

    Each wheelset will include the following:
    • Sunringle Mulefute Wheel in 27.5+/29+/Fatty
    • Panaracer Fat B Nimble 27.5x3.5"/29x3"/26x4"
    • Magura 180/180 Rotors
    • SRAM 11speed/12speed cassette
    • Delived tubeless


    Willo

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: IPA Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    342
    Sorry not to get all the questions into one of these...but next up is:

    Frame weight?
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

  48. #48
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowlerBikes View Post
    Hi Jeffw-13

    Our website does have the geometry but in hindsight it does appear to be buried on the site and I will fix that very soon. I added the Geometry for the Growler Mr. Big Stuff fat bike below. If there is anything specific questions about the geometry that is not listed please let me know.

    Growler Mr. Big Stuff Geometry

    Size Medium 17.5”
    T/T Length 590mm
    Seat Tube 457mm
    Seat Tube Angle 74°
    Head Tube Angle 69°
    BB Drop 56mm
    Head Tube Length 120mm
    Fork Lenth 468mm
    Front Center 676.2mm
    Rear Center 460mm
    Material 6061 Hydroformed Aluminum
    Weight (Frame) 1910 Grames
    Wheelbase 1135.5mm
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    Sorry not to get all the questions into one of these...but next up is:

    Frame weight?
    1910 Grams.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    9
    If your ever in the Rochester NY or Western NY area try to make it out to one of our weekly group rides. There is always a spare demo bike out on the trail for anyone to take.[/QUOTE]


    Where are the weekly rides and time? I am 1 hour south of Rochester.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,963
    Great response from Willo, no defensiveness, great attitude, it will certainly sell those bikes.

    I gotta admit, I find it very silly that anyone would give grief to a company that sells production built bikes at rock bottom prices.

    If you don't get what Growler is doing, you have been living in a cave for the past twenty years.

    At this point in the parade, "open " source geometry for a hard tail is about as common as ketchup. Suspension designs are a different story, at least for now...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Growler Big Stout Fat Bikes
    By FattyBoy in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2016, 11:56 AM
  2. New steel Performance Bikes 2013 Charge Cooker SS
    By Natedogz in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-07-2013, 11:28 PM
  3. Performance Bikes $10 off $50 or more purchase
    By silentG in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 06:50 AM
  4. Balance Bikes: Performance vs. Strider
    By rabidchicken in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 08:47 AM
  5. Replies: 55
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 04:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •