Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member

Christmas ain't over yet!

So Willo sent me my teaser pics. Here's my frame.

(I named "her" ..... "Phatallica" and Willo threw the name on her top tube for me.)

The waiting is quite difficult...but I'm keepin' it together.

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-image1.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-image2.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    (Slow clap) Welcome to the family!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Looking good, grimacetimus! Like the name too!!

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Grim,

I love the name and your color choice. Wheels is great for adding these little personal touches to the bikes. I am still a week away from my teaser pics. So good to see these things coming together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    This is what I love the most about the Growler community. Grim is stoked about his new bike and everyone rushes in to drool right along side him. I am always amazed how awesome you guys are. Thanks for letting me be apart of this amazing ride and I hope that these new bikes lead you all on adventures that you never thought you would experience and make new friends that you never new you had.

Wheels!

FB&H rider
    DANG awesome Grimace!
    Can't wait for the ride reports!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by WoEpiscopo View Post
    (Slow clap) Welcome to the family!
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn11 View Post
    Looking good, grimacetimus! Like the name too!!
    Quote Originally Posted by op71 View Post
    I love the name and your color choice. Wheels is great for adding these little personal touches to the bikes. I am still a week away from my teaser pics. So good to see these things coming together.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    DANG awesome Grimace!
    Can't wait for the ride reports!
    Thanks guys! Definitely looking forward to the maiden voyage and beyond.

Of my household of 6, my wife will be the only one without a bike (all four chitlins have bikes). We had a discussion about that last night and she's now thinking she wants a fattie too. I've never seen her ride a bike, so I asked her ..."When's the last time you rode a bike?" ...."When I was 9 years-old." (~26 years ago)

Wha? Wha? What?!

She grew-up with 5 other siblings in a military family and as her family bounced around from base-to-base, it became increasingly difficult for her family to keep & transport bikes for 6 kids. So...I'm not sure what I'll be getting her. I'm going to have her ride my boy's new $500-ish Haro MTB first. Then maaaaaaaybe let her try my Growler MBS (if she doesn't crash the Haro ). From there we'll decide what to get her. If she decides to get "super-serial" like me, there could be another MBS on order before summertime hits!!!

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Well they say once you learn you never forget. I guess you will test that theory out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by op71 View Post
    Well they say once you learn you never forget. I guess you will test that theory out.
    "It's just like riding a bike..."

With a 26-year gap, a near doubling of weight (she weighs ~130# today) and a much bigger bike with freewheel and cantilever brakes ......it should be interesting!

Maybe I should have her ride my smaller boy's Haro BMX first.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Finally getting around to posting some pics of my new Growler. All I can say is extremely happy with the bike and the whole process. In addition to designing the paint/logo color scheme, "Wheels" let me add some upgrades I wanted, including a blue crankset (w/ smaller 30T chainring), blue rim strips and an XO rear derailleur. I threw on my Bud and Lou for the snow, happy to say both tires have gobs of clearance on this frame. Very happy so far, time to ride the hell out of it!

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-20170107_162813.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-20170107_162821.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-20170107_162849.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Potsy12 View Post
    Finally getting around to posting some pics of my new Growler. All I can say is extremely happy with the bike and the whole process. In addition to designing the paint/logo color scheme, "Wheels" let me add some upgrades I wanted, including a blue crankset (w/ smaller 30T chainring), blue rim strips and an XO rear derailleur. I threw on my Bud and Lou for the snow, happy to say both tires have gobs of clearance on this frame. Very happy so far, time to ride the hell out of it!
    Fine lookin' whip Potsy! T-minus four days until mine hits the doorstep and I simply cannot wait. I couldn't agree with you more about the process. Wheels was awesome with everything with my bike, including the personal touches.

Can't recommend Growler Bikes enough.

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have been lurking / following this thread since the very first post. I am really psyched with what I have been reading. Hopefully, later this year I can work with Wheels on getting a new Fat Bike! I have loved my Framed Minnesota that I have had for the past 3 years, but I might have an upgrade in the future. I am following the Growler Facebook page too. Please keep posting pictures and reviews!

FB&H rider
    MPE - I've been lurking since the kickstarter days Like you I'll be designing one soon
    Potsy! Love the new wheels :P

Grimace, agree with 'titrating' the wife up to the Mr Big Stuff heh. (BTW, careful... now we know the wife's age AND weight.... oops). I've been in & around the military for a couple and perhaps the frequent moves are why I hadn't been on a bike for a long time either, but a fatbike is just what the Dr ordered!

As you know, my personal plan is to get a Growler in a couple months and my daughter will get my 'old' fattie.

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Hey Guys, Its great to be a part of this and I have almost bitten off all my fingernails waiting for my first teaser shot to show up in my inbox. Its funny how all our stories just sort of line up with each other. Potsy I too like your ride and look forward to seeing it get dirty. My wife is also looking at joining me for rides and the kids are always ready to tag along. I am upgrading from a Boris X7 to the MBS, the Boris will be going to my 13 year old. Pepper, I appreciate what you said about the military and moving around, I am currently in the Democratic Republic of Congo and other than pictures I won't be able to see my MBS in person till June. Wheels has promised to take good care of it for me in the meantime. But it will be going with me to Bishkek Kyrgyzstan with me so I can hit those incredible mountains in style. But it is possible to bring these around and trust me when I say the Congolese people are not used to seeing a fat bike.

Keep the pics coming guys of what you create, I love the fact that almost everyone one of these bikes will be different and personal to the owner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MPE View Post
    I have been lurking / following this thread since the very first post. I am really psyched with what I have been reading. Hopefully, later this year I can work with Wheels on getting a new Fat Bike! I have loved my Framed Minnesota that I have had for the past 3 years, but I might have an upgrade in the future. I am following the Growler Facebook page too. Please keep posting pictures and reviews!
    MPE ... I should have my new Growler MBS in less than three days (I'm not counting the hours or anything. )

I plan on a series of video reviews and will post them here. Sure to be an egregious amount of pics too.

Grimace, agree with 'titrating' the wife up to the Mr Big Stuff heh. (BTW, careful... now we know the wife's age AND weight.... oops). I've been in & around the military for a couple and perhaps the frequent moves are why I hadn't been on a bike for a long time either, but a fatbike is just what the Dr ordered!

As you know, my personal plan is to get a Growler in a couple months and my daughter will get my 'old' fattie.
    LOL - I'm no genius, and I'm no dummy ...but I had to lookup "titrating" with a huge 12 year-old grin on my face.

If my wife was sensitive about her weight or her age ...believe me, I would have thought twice about the "too much information." She's about as cool as they come ...not sure how I got so damn lucky.

We've talked about it a lot and I started looking at something more "entry." I found a 2013 Salsa Beargrease (Aluminum) that was spec'd out pretty nice; was tubeless; had brakes upgrade; and carbon bars/seatpost. The guy wanted $1400 which was just way too much based on my research. The bike was fairly clean, with normal chainstay marks ...but the drivetrain looked like it had never been cleaned. I offered him $900, we bounced a few emails back and forth and he came down to $1200. My high-side for the bike was definitely $900. So...no deal on that one.

The more wifey & I talked, the more we decided to put a $750 cap on it, let her get her feet wet, and if she really likes riding, there'll definitely be another Growler in the family stable. I've honed-in on a Framed 3.0 XWT (rigid fork). I'm going to work pretty hard at getting her to ride ...get good on the Framed and then have her ride my Growler MBS a few times. I expect the 3.0 to be my oldest boy's by her birthday.

Less than three days now!!!

~65 hours, 20 minutes left

mtbr member
    So ... I have been refreshing my browser every 10-12 hours to see where my new Growler MBS is at in it's journey to it's new loving home. I just refreshed it a few minutes ago and my scheduled delivery day bumped from Wed 1/11 to Thu 1/12 .....

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-giphy.jpg

FB&H rider
    Hang in there! You'll live!
    The national weather crisis wasn't put there just to foil you!
    Snowing here too, one of my coworkers just called to say she was stuck in the snow.
    Makes me want to play hooky and get out there on my fattie!

mtbr member
    Hang in there! You'll live!
    The national weather crisis wasn't put there just to foil you!
    Snowing here too, one of my coworkers just called to say she was stuck in the snow.
    Makes me want to play hooky and get out there on my fattie!
    So true...I was just being comically dramatic. I've been riding this roller coaster since late October (researching bikes, visiting LBS's, researching some more, ad infinitum). What's one more day? Technically, the seeds of Phattie lust were sown more than 6 years ago when the Surly and Salsa offerings expanded and started getting really cool. Definitely, I can wait one more day. (Lord help me that the weather holds and Thursday is actually "the day").
    2017 Growler MBS Bluto - His
    2017 Framed 3.0 XWT Rigid - Hers

"Don't Hurt People and Don't Take Their Stuff" - Kibbe

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

The Growler Community!

op71, If you think you love all he conversation just imagine how humbled I am to have a personal relationship with each and every one of you guys. Although I have never met most of you I surprisingly know a lot about your lives just as you know a lot about my life. The Growler community was an unintentional but so very welcomed aspect of this company.

grimacetimus - 2 more days and you will be rocking that new bike. I can't wait to see all the photos and videos. I especially want to see some photos when you and your buddy start the race in a few months. I love that you actually went all in and committed to the challenge.

PhdPepper - We are just starting your masterpiece. You too will soon be rocking your new Growler!

Lastly, I have a little teaser for everyone. I have intentionally not released to much information about this new fat bike because I know that the questions and emails will begin to fly but here is a photo of a new Carbon Fiber Fat Bike that we will be launching very soon. I don't have a price and can't release the specs just yet but I promise it will follow the same ideals as the Mr. Big Stuff. Great build kits on a great frame at a great price point. I will have more information to release in a few weeks.

Don't mind the photo location. It is sitting on the island in my kitchen. I called it table art. My wife told me to get it out of her kitchen. Haha!

Wheels!
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-image1-5.jpg

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Wheels that is one sweet looking frame Sir. I am excited for you and look forward to seeing this come to life. You business concept and personal investment into the life of all of us is what makes Growler stand out from the rest in my book.

FB&H rider
    SWEET frame indeed!
    Love those curves.

OP71, be safe out there brother.

mtbr member
    Cool, when it's a go I'll take a road trip to western NY for a demo. Looking forward to meeting you guys!

mtbr member
    Diggity, diggity...

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by grimacetimus View Post
    Diggity, diggity...

Congrats brother. Now stop stalling and rip that box open.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Why are you online and not out riding!!! Congrats!
    Can't wait to see it and hear your impressions!

mtbr member
    Well ... I am technically working from home today. But I have taken it out of the box and have everything connected. I'll do some pre-ride on it and have some more pics/video to offer a little later this evening.

Here it is comin' out of the shipping container (and evidence of how much weight I do need to lose)...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nice video!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by grimacetimus View Post
    Well ... I am technically working from home today. But I have taken it out of the box and have everything connected. I'll do some pre-ride on it and have some more pics/video to offer a little later this evening.

Here it is comin' out of the shipping container (and evidence of how much weight I do need to lose)...

Thank you for making this video. I have personally never experience the unpacking of one our bikes after it was shipped across the country. I think after seeing this video I can can improve this process and I will spend some time adjusting how the bikes are packed. Although the bikes arrive completely assembled and that is a huge advantage I don't want to burden the customer with how difficult it was to remove the wrapping.

Anyone have any thoughts on this process?

Once again thanks for the video!

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowlerBikes View Post
    Thank you for making this video. I have personally never experience the unpacking of one our bikes after it was shipped across the country. I think after seeing this video I can can improve this process and I will spend some time adjusting how the bikes are packed. Although the bikes arrive completely assembled and that is a huge advantage I don't want to burden the customer with how difficult it was to remove the wrapping.

Anyone have any thoughts on this process?

Once again thanks for the video!

Wheels!
    Wheels,

I really didn't have any complaints. As I stated on the video, I thought it was packed very well & thoroughly. Perhaps some preformed foam or structured cardboard is in the future of shipping development, but again...I'm quite satisfied with how Phatallica arrived and unpacked.

I got 9# in the front and 10# in the back ...I've had her out and around the neighborhood and even played around slamming thru a little dry, river-rocked, run-off majigger I have in my front yard. The phattie + bluto just soakin' that stuff up like nuthin.'

With my 230# ...I did pump-up the Bluto to 130#. Seems a little stiff now, but I'll play with it.

mtbr member
    I'll try to get some better pics...Hope these help a little...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Grim, she looks sweet as hell. I'm going to be following your experience so you can iron out all the details for me before I get mine. Enjoy!!!

FB&H rider

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just want to offer my support for Growler Performance Bikes. Last weekend, I held a fat bike group ride/demo in Genesee County, NY. Willo agreed to demo some of his fat bikes. Although it was very cold (about 10 degrees, with a biting wind chill), we had nearly 50 people show up, and Willo braved the elements and stood outside the pavilion while people demo'd his bikes. After speaking with a few of the riders, they all commented that the Growler bikes were very lightweight, handled quite well in the snow, and offered enough gearing to climb even the toughest hills in the park. If I was in the market for a new fat bike, Growler would be on the top of my list. Thanks Wheels!

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-growler-3.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-growler-2.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-growler-1.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-growler-4.jpg
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. ~Christopher Morley

FB&H rider
    Hey Bodie!
    We're you guys riding the stock tires, or were there upgrades on the bikes? I've been on babegazi 4.7s this winter, and while they're not considered the best, they handle the snow pretty well. I'm wondering if the stock nimbles handle the snow OK as well, or if you feel the need for an upgrade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Most people were riding with the stock tires on the demo bikes. Keep in mind, the snow was only 4" deep. Personally, I'd save the Nimbles for the summer months and go with a more aggressive tire with better float for the winter. You can't go wrong with Bud/Lou or Bud/Nate.
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. ~Christopher Morley

FB&H rider
    Sounds good; am working on a build with Willo and was thinking of putting on bigger tires but it will be after winter season when I get the bike. I guess I might just try the stock tires for the spring summer fall, and then look into getting some bigger ones next season.

Also, need to see more pictures from grimace

mtbr member
    Also, need to see more pictures from grimace
    So, I just don't have any really cool spots to take any pictures yet. I'll take some in the desert when I go riding on Sunday. In the meantime, here's another really terrible video ferya...

FB&H rider
    Some OUTSTANDING 360 on the bike!
    That headtube work..... mmmm. Love the welds. Just outstanding.

Really amazing. Folks looking at bikes - obviously the most important things are fit (e.g., stack and reach: Fat Bike Stack and Reach ? rideFATbikes.ca), and components.
    There are a bunch of really nice bikes out there in the range of the Growler MBS like RSD Mayor, the BD bikes, Framed, and so on... you can definitely find the right bike for you.

Personally I'm glad I've been lurking as long as I have since i learn a lot from the posts in this forum about things like brakes and (cold) temps, q-factors, chainstay length and so on. I went back and looked at the specs on the Growler after reading the article above, and was pretty happy with what I saw for me, but it's nice to think about what different bikes have to offer.
    Right now just on value alone the Growler is really tough to beat. The component list at the price point is outstanding, and for a direct customer model obviously Growler is amazing. Willo definitely is doing a great job, and with the customization available like we've seen on these pages, it's just amazing. Sure, you can go into a local shop or find someone to add custom paint, but again at this price point it's hard to find something so unique and 'you' unless you can afford a full custom build. Good price + customization + good customer service = win.
    My only little bit of sadness is that with the current model Growler can't help but get bigger. Willo will definitely do his best, but he'll have to work on bringing other great teammates in to keep it up because otherwise he'll get too big for this model. (we've even discussed this in pm).
    Keep it up Willo!
    Hope you can find good guys (maybe a few vets) to help you grow and still be Growler!

mtbr member
    I gotta say, I can't get over this bike. The amateur videos that I shot, just don't do this bike justice. I've just been out in my garage going over every inch of the bike. From the caliper mount on the rear triangle to the welds on the cut-outs for the internal cable-routing, I am excessively impressed with the quality of this frame. Without a doubt a superior quality piece of work.

Couple the frame with the top-notch components, custom paint, personalized touches ... there's no way you can touch this bike at the price-point.

I had this little let-down moment on Wednesday ...the day I was supposed to get the bike. Some buyer's remorse crept in while I had to wait the additional day for the bike. Wow...is that so gone, in a big, big way. I really can't wait to hit the trails ...and good luck keepin' me off 'em!

mtbr member

First "real ride" ...

Well, I got Phatallica out for her first real test today and had a really awesome time. The Growler MBS performed flawlessly and I'm really loving the GX drivetrain.

My buddy has a 29'er (x2.1") and there were definitely some soft spots where his pizza-cutters had nuthin' on the sweet-rolling PanaRacers.

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-img_20170115_094848826_hdr%5B1%5D.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-img_20170115_094903211%5B1%5D.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-img_20170115_100540246%5B1%5D.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-img_20170115_101033228%5B1%5D.jpg
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-img_20170115_100529795%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Took a video of a downhill section too. It was really bumpy ...I used YouTube's image stabilization to clean it up a bit. Guess it's time to move the action cam to my helmet. On the bars ...not so good.

Pastafarian
    Have a Mr. Bigstuff on order. I'll be doing a full YouTube review of the bike and purchase experience once I get it. My first ride on it may just end up being a race on a groomed ski resort course.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Steel City Dual Sport - Motos and bikes

FB&H rider
    Congrats Tavis!
    Make sure to give us the link - I'll check it out. Good luck on the race!

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Test rode the Mr. Big Stuff recently and loved it, got my wheels turning and can't wait to get my own.

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-15965416_10154828882570502_2177388611192316202_n.jpg

Actually, getting my own hopefully by the end of the week.

Pastafarian
    Got my Growler fatty yesterday. It'll be a little while before I get my video done, but here are a few pics from setting it up last night.

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    That looks sick. Can't wait for in action coverage. Enjoy my friend.

FB&H rider
    NICE Tavis! Looks straight solid.

Willo and I are finally working on my build. The initial color sample looks SICK!

Showed them to my wife today, she likes the color a lot.
    Says, 'how are we going to pay for this?"
    I say, "with my commissioning bonus"
    She looks worried..... (thinking of finishing off some debt/bills, shipping the truck overseas... etc) "can we do that?"
    "YESSSSS... (/sly look) besides, you know what I'm getting with next years' bonus right?"
    (she looks at me. I look at her left ring finger. She looks at me. Tears in her eyes)
    "OK"

(It will be our 20-year anniversary in just over a year)

WINNING!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Pepper's idea of diplomacy??
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

FB&H rider
    Whatever works!

Pastafarian
    You got off easy...I think I am remodeling the kitchen :/.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast