Lol!!

Pepper, Good stuff!

Travis is on the hook...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Test rode the Mr. Big Stuff recently and loved it, got my wheels turning and can't wait to get my own.

Attachment 1118711

Actually, getting my own hopefully by the end of the week.
    DD getting fat

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    DD getting fat
    Have been fat for a bit over a year, my current ride is a Framed Minn 2.0 and currently waiting on my Growler to be built.

Pastafarian
    Got in my first ride on the Growler. It almost didn't happen, I noticed the derailleur hanger was a little tweaked on the Friday night before the race and failed at straightening it. Willo saved my butt by overnighting me a new hanger. BIG thanks to Willo for making a special trip to FedEx (after it sounded like he had just got home too). I was about ready to give up and admit defeat but he made sure I was ready to ride by Sunday.

The bike did great. With the conditions we had I was really glad that I opted for the Bud/Lou combo and the Bluto.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Looks like you had a great time, Tavis! I enjoyed the video too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Tavis!

I am glad I was able to help get you up and running. Those conditions looked brutal. You know they were when even the bud and lou were struggling to keep you upright. Looks like the bike was running good. You can hear that rear cassette spinning away on those downhills. Thanks for posting the video and pics!

Wheels!

FB&H rider
    Good stuff Tavis!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Looked fun, thanks for posting.

Pastafarian
    The Growler with Bud/Lou goes great in the mud too .

mtbr member
    Good looking bikes. A little longer chainstay but love the color options. Great pricing too. This might be a good way to get the SRAM eagle 1x12 on a bike.

mtbr member
    Phatallica (my Growler MBS) in her Sonoran element. My 40K race is in 29 days and I covered about 2/3rds of the course today. I'm whopped but feel pretty good. I think I got this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    2017 Growler MBS Bluto - His
    2017 Framed 3.0 XWT Rigid - Hers

"Don't Hurt People and Don't Take Their Stuff" - Kibbe

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    What beautiful scenery. It is amazing the places our bikes will takes us. Great Pics!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Lookin good Grimace! Looks like the adventures await...
    Doctor recommended...

Pastafarian
    Awesome. Looks like a great place to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grimacetimus View Post
    Phatallica (my Growler MBS) in her Sonoran element. My 40K race is in 29 days and I covered about 2/3rds of the course today. I'm whopped but feel pretty good. I think I got this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    That is a beautiful bike. Looks trail ready. What is the headtube angle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaSalsa View Post
    Hey SalsaSalsa!...I think Willo (owner of Growler Bikes) will likely chime-in with the specifics; however, I'm pretty sure it's 69-deg.

I will absolutely agree with you on it being trail ready. On my ride today, the most fun I had was our descent. It was about 20 minutes of 20+mph downhill and about 70% of the trail down was littered with rocks (kinda like the ones my bike is leaning against in the last two pictures. My Growler MBS just soaked that stuff up (and I noticed near the bottom of the trail that I was just one-click off of lockout on the Bluto!...forgetful me).

Anyway, I was very impressed with the handling all the way down...it was incredible. My buddy was the one GoPro'ing today, I left mine in the truck. I'll see what kinda footage he's got ....his GoPro should have picked-up a lot of my backside ....He's riding a 29'er and I just smoked him all day long on the descents (and admittedly he chewed me up a bit on the ascents).

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks Grimacetimus for jumping in for me! You are ablsolutly correct. The headtube angle is 69° on the Growler Mr. Big Stuff.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowlerBikes View Post
    Thanks Grimacetimus for jumping in for me! You are ablsolutly correct. The headtube angle is 69° on the Growler Mr. Big Stuff.

Wheels!
    That's a little slacker then my Blackborow, nice. I am loving that fat bikes are getting set up for trails. At 43 I am okay going a little slower up to make th technical easier and the downhill safer and who doesn't want to go faster.

mtbr member
    That's a little slacker then my Blackborow, nice. I am loving that fat bikes are getting set up for trails. At 43 I am okay going a little slower up to make th technical easier and the downhill safer and who doesn't want to go faster.
    Salsa...just a little more of my back-story...

I've been riding something on two-wheels since I was 3 years old ...a 50/50 mixture of dirt-bikes (motorcycles) and BMX & Mountain bikes. I preface with that, because I do have some learned/ingrained riding skills.

That being said, I have been away from the leg-powered game for quite a while (10+ years)...and have been throwing around a 900# bagger on the highways instead. I still have fun doing that, but it just doesn't offer me the same kind of health benefits or full familial time I like. Anyway, I have been incredibly surprised with my Growler MBS. It has been very nimble and a joy to ride thru all kinds of terrain here in the desert southwest. (I admittedly only have about 50 hard miles on it, but those miles have been over sandy washes, loose gravel, hard-pack & the uber-rocky downhills I mentioned.)

We're about the same age (I'm 45), and I tip the scales at 230# ...trying to get down to 180. And the Growler MBS is taking everything I can throw at it. I forgot to mention that I had a few opportunities to catch some air yesterday too. Nothing crazy, just probably 18-24" drops from a stair-step in the trail. Still fun as all get out!

The last thing I'll say is never once did I feel out of control. With the Magura brakes on this baby, they were always there for me to get me out of any trouble I saw coming. Can't believe how much fun I had yesterday. Could ramble on for hours....

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Grimace, while I was in Az a few weeks ago, the opportunity to ride some damn nice terrain was amazing. Glad to see you threw your hat in the ring with the Growler. It looks great. It seems that Growler and RSD have done a nice job of making a fatbike that is not just a repurposed commuter. Good stuff, Growler Bikes!!
    You keep hitting the dirt and riding it wide open throttle and you'll make your goal! Just do yourself a favor and work your way up to it tho.
    How is the clearance of the pedals?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    You keep hitting the dirt and riding it wide open throttle and you'll make your goal! Just do yourself a favor and work your way up to it tho.

How is the clearance of the pedals?
    Banshee...no doubt about it, I'm riding at my comfort level. Especially being on trails for the first time, I don't like to work-up to much speed unless I can see well ahead. One of the first lessons I learned about riding on two wheels was avoiding "riding over your head." I've taken my fair share of spills ...and I don't think my current 45 year-old bag of bones would like me too much if I started that up again. There's also a pretty significant difference in technique between the petro-powered and leg-powered .....the throttle has saved me many, many times ....so I ride quite a bit differently on MTB/my Growler.

I have had a couple of pedal strikes; however, it wasn't for lack of clearance as much as it was poor technique on my part, going up gnarly ascents with big rocks...no boulders...in the trail. As far as descents go, I level my pedals on the straights and drop the outside pedal on turns. I have yet to have any kind of pedal strike in those situations.

For comparative purposes....my small-frame Growler MBS has about 6" of ground clearance to the pedal, at bottom of stroke ....and it's close to 12" from the ground to the bottom-bracket.

(EDIT: Actually, it's closer to 12.5" from the BB to the ground.)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Grimace, sounds like they hit it with the Growler! I can't remember the last time I had a pedal strike, but they have been far and few between. My 907 was plain and simply a manufacturing plant for pedalstrikes.
    The long trail in you pic looks like a flowy rail trail. You should be able to wind it up some and get a feel for acceleration and speed. Basically, what you have is much like what I have, a mountain bike that can wear Ronald McDonald's shoes! I just cannot get enough of riding the fat. I think you're just as hooked. Props, my friend, props...
    Doctor recommended...

Mine was delivered today, rigid Mr. Big Stuff; can't wait to ride it.

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-16780298_10154928723345502_1204047987_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16780298_10154928723345502_1204047987_n.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	1121717
    That's a fine looking ride 😀 !!!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sweet! I love the red touches with the headtube decal and chain ring.

Welcome to the Growler Family!

Pastafarian
    Congratulations!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Steel City Dual Sport - Motos and bikes

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Dirt Devil. That looks straight sweet dressed in all black, and I will agree with Grim that the little red sets it off nice. Now go get it dirty.

FB&H rider
    Sweet DD!
    Let us know how the first rides go... each pic makes me want mine more heh.
    BTW, I like that little stand you've got - what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    I like that little stand you've got - what is it?
    Actually don't know who makes it or what's called, got 2 when a friend closed his bike shop several years ago.

FB&H rider
    Thanks DD.

One of the strengths of this product is that the (still) small business model allows Willo to customize your order.

I've looked at a bunch of tires all of which he will throw on the bike at your request. The stock tires (Fat B Nimble) are an all-around tire that likely will work for many, while I've seen others putting on Bud n Lou, Van Helgas, and so on. JJs would be great for summer, but I wanted an option for all-season use and also that didn't break my budget (anything by 45 North). I wanted t go a little wider and as a stocky guy was a little nervous about the sidewalls on the Nimbles.

Bottom line is put what you want on there. I think I'll go with https://fat-bike.com/2017/02/mid-ter...ene-wazia-4-6/ minus the studs. Should be good for fun mountain riding - not going to be racing any time soon and still work well for summer and winter (since I probably won't be seeing any of the really deep stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    Thanks DD.

One of the strengths of this product is that the (still) small business model allows Willo to customize your order.

I've looked at a bunch of tires all of which he will throw on the bike at your request. The stock tires (Fat B Nimble) are an all-around tire that likely will work for many, while I've seen others putting on Bud n Lou, Van Helgas, and so on. JJs would be great for summer, but I wanted an option for all-season use and also that didn't break my budget (anything by 45 North). I wanted t go a little wider and as a stocky guy was a little nervous about the sidewalls on the Nimbles.

Bottom line is put what you want on there. I think I'll go with https://fat-bike.com/2017/02/mid-ter...ene-wazia-4-6/ minus the studs. Should be good for fun mountain riding - not going to be racing any time soon and still work well for summer and winter (since I probably won't be seeing any of the really deep stuff).
    Already have a Bud but missing the Lou so my plan is to use the Fat B's in the mean time (while saving $$$ for the Lou) and use them as my other than winter tires. Some of my biking buddies ride Fat B's all winter and are happy with them so no worries for now.

My issue now is to find a rideable trail around here, we have been pounded with snow and all trails near me are not groomed and tomorrow a thaw starts, good times in central new york.

Not the best conditions for the maiden ride but had fun and can truly say that the MBS is a lot better (and lighter) than the Minnesota 2 that I was riding. Still need to make some minor adjustments but the ride was great, need to get used to the 1x11 gearing coming from a 2x9.

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-mbs.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Growler Performance Fat Bikes-16796940_10154940619980502_8652889597434513079_o.jpg  

Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 02-20-2017 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Not the best conditions for the maiden ride but had fun and can truly say that the MBS is a lot better (and lighter) than the Minnesota 2 that I was riding. Still need to make some minor adjustments but the ride was great, need to get used to the 1x11 gearing coming from a 2x9.
    Looks like a kick Devil! It rained on me all weekend here in AZ and I have some serious cabin fever. Gotta get out and ride my MBS today!

Wheels set me up 2x11 until I can get a few pounds of my abdominal fat tire. I've got a 22/32 set of front rings and I've had to use the 22T/42T combo plenty of times. But my strength and stamina is growing a bit with each ride. I'm hoping to be down 40# and down to 1x11 (probably a 28T or 30T single-ring) by my birthday...about 8 months away.

Happy riding!

Pastafarian
    Has anyone done a dropper post yet on a MBS?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TavisB View Post
    Has anyone done a dropper post yet on a MBS?
    Tavis ...I've sure looked at them a lot. More trying to figure-out if it is something I need. I think I've reached a conclusion where the price just doesn't justify it for the very rare occasion that I might use it. Of course, with the current MBS frame, I think you have to go with an external cable, which a couple of vendors don't even offer, based on my research.

If you decide to get one, let us know how it goes!

mtbr member
    *** Growler Race Report ***

Well folks ...this fat man has some more work to do.

The first thing I want to mention is how awesome, agile and easy to ride my Growler MBS is. I've had my MBS for exactly two months now. My very first ride was a pretty easy 6-mile jaunt in the desert. Ho-leeee cow was I a mess after that first ride. I haven't been able to ride as much as I'd have liked; however, I managed to get in about 75 miles prior to today's race (Cactus Cup - FT40 ...a 40K/26-mile race). We even went out multiple times in the last 3 weeks and rode different parts of today's course. Unfortunately, there was a pretty critical section that we neglected to ride that would have likely forced a change to our training regimen.

Three miles into the full course, we encountered a rocky climb up ....well, I'll call it a cliff .....but it was about a 400' climb through a series of (all uphill) ridge-runners & switchbacks littered with grapefruit-to-pumpkin size boulders in the trail.

Making that climb took so much out of me (and my riding partner). On the backside downhill section, my buddy took a spill and in the process his rear wheel came off (Spesh 29'er). We were sidelined for a little over 15 minutes while we dealt with a bent derailleur hanger (the mount point...hanger was actually fine), brake pads that didn't want to open back-up ....finally we got the wheel back on and everything checked-out (thank goodness I had some tools). So, we pushed on.

Around mile 6, we starting being trailed by the "clean-up pace-setter". He patiently trailed us ....when we stopped at a checkpoint, my buddy noted that we had averaged just 3.9 MPH with our "surprise" cliff climb and the crash repairs delay. We were arguably looking at exceeding the maximum time allowed by the race organizers. We attempted to pick-up the pace but "the cliff" really took it out of us...and we faced far more ascending than descending ahead. At the half-way mark, we had "improved" to a 4.3 mph average.

Anyway, it had become clear that we were not going to make it thru the course in the 5-hour time limit. We exited the course & picked-up an all-downhill return trail.

I really think we could have finished the course .....with a lunch-break and a nap!

I had a blast and learned a lot about how much further I have to go. In the two months since getting my MBS, I've only managed to drop about 12 pounds ....but at that rate, if I keep at it, I should easily be a full 60-70 pounds lighter for next year's event.

In spite of my first race being a DNF ...I couldn't be happier with my experience thus far. Getting back on a bike ...choosing the fat tire geometry ....and selecting Growler Bikes has been an incredible adventure that's just getting started!

I am mildly disappointed that I could not finish today; however, I learned so much about my Growler, my technique and competitive MTB racing, that I don't think I'd change a thing. Liposuction. Maybe lipsuction. ....just kidding, of course. I'm getting rid of the extra parts of Grimace the old-fashioned way.

Rubber side down! Everyone have a great weekend!

Some pics .....

Gettin' ready .... Growler representation ...check
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-img_20170310_191326123.jpg

mtbr member
    Driving to the event ....beautiful sunrise ....check
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-sunrise.jpg

Getting ready to ride ....pressure, function .....check
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-img_20170311_072650118_hdr.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Grimace, the important thing is that you took away from it a great experience in general. Getting in shape is an investment of time, persistence and more time. You already have the largest contributing factor down, passion for the sport! That passion will take you there and get you feeling the best you have in years. But, it takes time to work up to that kind of exertion and you'll get there.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Grimace, the important thing is that you took away from it a great experience in general. Getting in shape is an investment of time, persistence and more time. You already have the largest contributing factor down, passion for the sport! That passion will take you there and get you feeling the best you have in years. But, it takes time to work up to that kind of exertion and you'll get there.
    Banshee ... Thanks! Couldn't have said it better myself. My stamina is 5x what it was just 2 months ago ...but I definitely have a way to go. Lookin' forward to the trip. Phatallica and I are in it for the long haul.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    These look pretty nice. Any plans for a full suspension fat bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkz View Post
    These look pretty nice. Any plans for a full suspension fat bike?
    Hi Blinkz!

We have several bikes in testing currently. The next two bikes that will most likely launch will be a carbon fatty and an aluminum full suspension 27.5/29. We haven't released any details just yet but you should see something before DirtFest. At least 1 of those bikes will launch at that festival.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Very cool, I'll keep watching.
    Do you currently offer custom colors on your carbon frames or only the ones that can be powder coated?

Hi Blinkz!

We have several bikes in testing currently. The next two bikes that will most likely launch will be a carbon fatty and an aluminum full suspension 27.5/29. We haven't released any details just yet but you should see something before DirtFest. At least 1 of those bikes will launch at that festival.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkz View Post
    Very cool, I'll keep watching.
    Do you currently offer custom colors on your carbon frames or only the ones that can be powder coated?
    One of the most attractive aspects of Growler is that we customize our bikes at this price point. With the exception of a few limited edition versions that will be launching soon you will be able to full customize the carbon bikes just like the current lineup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    When will the carbon frames hit the market?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmaguy View Post
    When will the carbon frames hit the market?
    Hi Plasmaguy!

We will be launching the 2 position dropout Nitro Stout Carbon Fat Bike no later than May 17th. It will go on display for the first time at our booth at DirtRag's DirtFest May 17-21. We will be releasing more details of this bike soon. If you want to get a sneak peak at the Nitro Stout follow on social media the pro downhill racer Amanda Batty. She is working on a sick fat bike video using a limited edition Nitro Stout as we speak. We also repost all of her stuff on our social media as well.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    [QUOTE=Cody01;13080804]
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmaguy View Post
    Hello Cody,

My Tapatalk account uses my given name. I'm Plasmaguy from my home PC. Sorry for my lack of proof reading. Let's blame it on a late breakfast too. I was using Tapatalk and honestly didn't see my title mash

No problem. I know how the mobile devices can do that.
    Great.

I'll be watching.

Hi Plasmaguy!

We will be launching the 2 position dropout Nitro Stout Carbon Fat Bike no later than May 17th. It will go on display for the first time at our booth at DirtRag's DirtFest May 17-21. We will be releasing more details of this bike soon. If you want to get a sneak peak at the Nitro Stout follow on social media the pro downhill racer Amanda Batty. She is working on a sick fat bike video using a limited edition Nitro Stout as we speak. We also repost all of her stuff on our social media as well.

Wheels!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Nice. Is the eville considered a limited edition/ still available even?

One of the most attractive aspects of Growler is that we customize our bikes at this price point. With the exception of a few limited edition versions that will be launching soon you will be able to full customize the carbon bikes just like the current lineup.

FB&H rider
    Can't wait to see the Nitro!
    *side note: how's my Growler coming Willo? :P

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    PhdPepper!

Just waiting for the word. USPS has the logistics to get it to your base in Germany. I hope all is well and you and the boys and girls over seas are staying safe.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Haven't posted in a while but I figured I'd chime in on my rig.
    I borrowed a demo bike for my brother who's interested now in getting into biking but the demo from Wheels had the 29+ wheelset. So I swapped the fatty tires for the 29er tires and mingia does it rip. I had a rigid fork set up for the winter so I decided to put the bluto back on with these wheels and it was as comfortable as I could have possibly wanted it to be. The setup climbed and cornered well and was fast as hell on the downhills I encountered. I've ridden mine as a fatty and as a 29+ rig so far so if you have any questions, let me know. I'l be glad to share with you.

FB&H rider

At very long last....

I actually have an invoice and Willo is starting the build for my Mr Big Stuff!!!

I guess good things come to those who wait because Growler got some new colors in their palette and I decided to go with a slightly different color scheme: Growler Performance Fat Bikes-devin-marsh-chrome-maroon-logos.png

I'm staying rigid for now as I don't typically run too much rough stuff, with some 4.6 Terrene Wazias.

39+ emails back and forth with Willo, and I can say no company is quite like his. He's found a way to ship APO (military), which no other company in the US has been willing to do. As always, the gear set is so much bang for the buck, the custom colors are fantastic:

I CAN'T WAIT!

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Doctor Doctor, give me the news, I got a bad taste of loving that bike. Absolutely sweet looking design you have there my friend. Willo is the best at this and I have my own set of 40+ emails to prove his dedication. I love that he can ship to APO and think that is so important as you and I are not the only ones out in the world and drooling over some Growler bike action. Very happy for you and can't wait to see the finished pictures. Willo has been teasing me and not showing me mine as he finishes it up, but that is only because I asked him to keep in under wraps till it was finished completely. Dang him for actually listening to me!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Doctah!
    How'd you have him set it up? Are you going fat right now or did you opt for a + set up for the summer months?

Welcome to the Growler family, sweet ride btw.

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-17457536_10155075361215502_356682777112564914_n.jpg

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by op71 View Post
    Doctor Doctor, give me the news, I got a bad taste of loving that bike. Absolutely sweet looking design you have there my friend. Willo is the best at this and I have my own set of 40+ emails to prove his dedication. I love that he can ship to APO and think that is so important as you and I are not the only ones out in the world and drooling over some Growler bike action. Very happy for you and can't wait to see the finished pictures. Willo has been teasing me and not showing me mine as he finishes it up, but that is only because I asked him to keep in under wraps till it was finished completely. Dang him for actually listening to me!!!
    Hee hee, that dastardly Willo! I'm grateful that he's making this work including a custom box and (possibly) eating any extra postage. He's da man!

Quote Originally Posted by WoEpiscopo View Post
    Doctah!
    How'd you have him set it up? Are you going fat right now or did you opt for a + set up for the summer months?
    I'm fat all the way for now, baby!
    Frankly, once I have my truck and can travel to find more flow-type trails is when I'll think more about plus.... but for now if anything all I'd do is switch out the 4.6s for 4.0 JJs or something similar.... I have a whole file of German trails I want to try eventually

Welcome to the Growler family, sweet ride btw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17457536_10155075361215502_356682777112564914_n.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	403.1 KB 
ID:	1130487
    Thank you sir... and yours too fo sho.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Dude sweet. Get used to the fatties. They're a blast. I just put the 29er+ tires on mine and I cannot believe how fast and agile it is. With a bluto no less looking forward to seeing the German trails on the growler site

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm a newbie FTB fan.
    How many guys run their fat tires year round? versus the 29er+ conversion for warm weather.

Thanks,

Tom

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I ran fat all year last year. I borrowed a set of 29+ tires from wheels and cannot believe how much I like them. I'm going to order a set from him for mine. It's worth it in my opinion to have both sets.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi Everyone!

I love that this community is growing by the minute. DiRt DeViL had a great idea to start a Growler Performance Bike Owners Only Facebook page. It will be a closed group to owners only. I am hoping with this Facebook page we can share ideas, discuss future products and maybe do a couple special Growler only events/Weekend trips. I just created the page tonight so it will look rather blank. I am sure that it will explode soon enough. Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/ProudToOwnAGrowler/ or search ProudToOwnAGrowler

Please continue to share here on MTBR as well. There are a lot of soon to be Growler Family that still have lots of questions about Growler and there is no better people to answer those questions then the Growler Family. The busier this company becomes the less hours in a day I feel like I have.

The Growler Family has become invaluable and Growler wouldn't be where it is today without them. Just ask anyone who has joined the family and they can attest that Growler is more than great bikes. We really are a community of great people. I want to make sure that we can keep it that way for as long as this company is kicking.

Thanks for everything the Growler community has contributed!

Wheels!
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-growler-bikes-brews-facebook-logo.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]1130649[/ATTACH

mtbr member
    I have to say reading this thread I wish I would have stumbled upon it one-week earlier! I just ordered a new Surly but I can promise you I will be adding a Growler to my already large collection of Bikes!

I have been very impressed with the feedback and conversation in this thread. You guys seem like an amazing company to do business with! I look forward to working with you in the future and excited to see what your 2017 lineup brings.

Keep up the good work!

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Canonshooter!

Growler or not. Welcome to the Family! The only requirement is that you have a passion for bikes. Surly makes some great stuff.

mtbr member
    Passion is definitely not a problem here! Thanks for the welcome!

The correct link to the Growler Performance Bikes Owner Brewhouse facebook group is here, the previous link is to a "Like" page that will no longer be used.

Join the group, upload some pics and let's get the conversation started.

Just a quick note to thank Wheels, broke the hanger of my MBS on Monday night and have one pending delivery today. Messaged him while at the trail parking lot and the next day the part was being shipped overnight.

He just made fun about how I broke the part which in retrospect was pretty stupid, glad to be part of the Growler family.

Pastafarian
    So what did you do? I admitted my stupid hanger breaking mistake lol.

So what did you do? I admitted my stupid hanger breaking mistake lol.
    Ha ha ha, saw that coming, here's the scoop.

Son and I had planned an after work ride, had my bike on the hitch rack. Get to the parking lot, remove the bungee cords and raise the top tube holder, the bike sits there perfectly fine. Get my gear on, my son arrives, takes his bike out and we hear a bang. Looked around and noticed my bike on the grass, no biggie I thought. When we're ready to go heard something was hitting the spokes and that's when I realize that the hanger is bent. Tried to gently pull it away from the spokes and the thing just broke. I just wanted the earth to swallow me, was so angry at myself for doing something that I've never done before and will never do again.

Luckily have Wheels as a FB friend so immediately messaged him, he sent me one yesterday and was just told that is home waiting for me so life is good. Now I need to figure out how to leave work so I can get a ride tonight

Pastafarian
    I can't leave well enough alone. Threw on a 26 tooth oval chainring. Was happy that the included chain guide works with an oval.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I posted in the other thread started.. is the E'ville available?

FB&H rider
    DD, yep, an easy mistake - glad it was also easily fixed!

TavisB, cool addition - will be great in the deep stuff!

I can't leave well enough alone. Threw on a 26 tooth oval chainring. Was happy that the included chain guide works with an oval.
    How you like the oval? I'm on a 28t round and sometimes feel that I need more ring but not putting back the 32t.

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    I have a 30T coming on mine

Pastafarian
    How you like the oval? I'm on a 28t round and sometimes feel that I need more ring but not putting back the 32t.
    I really like it. Seems about perfect now. Still goes as fast as I need it to, I just use the whole cassette now .

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I read something on page 1 about a carbon frame. Does this exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Whec716 View Post
    I read something on page 1 about a carbon frame. Does this exist?
    Wheels can talk in more detail but there's a Growler carbon prototype aka "Nitro Stout" being ridden by Amanda Batty.

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-17547096_1339832876059924_4139093571224570734_o.jpg

Don't know if any specs about it have been released or when it will be available.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    You will see the Nitro Stout debut at the Good Nature Brewing Grand Opening in 2 weeks and then again at DirtFest in a month. We should have a demo bike available at DirtFest at our bike park booth. The best part is when you get a pro rider on the bike and they love it you know you have a winning recipe.

Also congrats to Dr Phd. His bike is finished and heading to Germany. Introducing Sir Fatsalot!

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-img_4843.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Growler Performance Fat Bikes-img_4844.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    The Nitro Stout Carbon will be launching in May! More details to follow.

If you follow pro rider Amanda Batty she has some pics and video of the prototype on her social media. . It is a ridiculous build that we sent her and she is loving every bit of it.

FB&H rider
    Can't wait for Sir Fatsalot to get here!
    I'll put in a couple more pics from Willo on the build, and then in a week or two the real deal.
    *grin*
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-img_4839.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-img_4840.jpg

Thanks Wheels!

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Dr. That is sooo good looking, make sure you have sunglasses on while riding. Very happy for you and interested to see how well the bike arrives to you. Let me know how you like the Terrene tires, I have 4.8 JJ's coming on mine. I love seeing all these custom one off bikes. Just need to see them dirty now.

Doctor, that ride is sweet!!!!!!!!!!

Pastafarian
    I forgot that I did a timelapse of the unboxing and assembly. Found it on my GoPro memory card this morning. Oops. Better late than never?

FB&H rider
    Sweet Tavis!!
    I'm a little slow getting my MBS assembled (since I've never done it before); will have a friend over this week to put the finishing touches on... I should have some photos etc of the unboxing and assembly up this week

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nice to meet you yesterday Dirt Devil It was also nice to see your son racing on that red Growler

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Nice to meet you yesterday Dirt Devil It was also nice to see your son racing on that red Growler
    That wasn't me, must be Rob Baker aka Devil Dog from the Chenango Composite team, his son is racing a red B+ and he rides a Marines themed MBS.

Pastafarian
    Even though it's warming up, I'm still getting in some rides on the MBS. The Bud/Lou combo stick like crazy in mud. Really happy with my tire choice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That wasn't me, must be Rob Baker aka Devil Dog from the Chenango Composite team, his son is racing a red B+ and he rides a Marines themed MBS.
    Haha, oops. You're right You and I have already met. You upstate Devils are confusing

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    TavisB! Killer video! Thanks for post this one and the unboxing. I know a couple of guys that swear by the bud and Lou year round. The great is incredible on those tires. What app or program are you using at ours the heart rate and speed on the screen? Lastly for the guy who fell over. I loved the dismount. 10/10!

Pastafarian
    TavisB! Killer video! Thanks for post this one and the unboxing. I know a couple of guys that swear by the bud and Lou year round. The great is incredible on those tires. What app or program are you using at ours the heart rate and speed on the screen? Lastly for the guy who fell over. I loved the dismount. 10/10!
    Thanks! I ran the MBS again this weekend at Raystown and those tires are like velcro.

I imported my HR and GPS data into Garmin Virb Edit along with the GoPro footage. It does a decent job of syncing everything up even though I didn't use a Virb.

FB&H rider
    Here is Sir Fatsalot on the ground in Germany!
    I'll post a little more in Fatbikes n Health, but loving the bike so far, despite some setup adventures.
    The bike feels very nimble and shifts like butter!
    Here's a few in the sequence of unboxing up to my first ride.
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-img_2355.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-img_2356.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-img_2373.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-img_2407.jpg

Pastafarian
    Congrats!

Saw your pics on the brewhouse, looks great and please post some dirty pics.

FB&H rider
    Saw your pics on the brewhouse, looks great and please post some dirty pics.
    Heh patience good sir, the creeks are runnin... will have some soon. I do want to ensure my brakes won't fail me at a critical moment first, but dirt will happen!

mtbr member
    I just wanted to chime in and say I met Willo and his bikes at Dirt Fest this past weekend and he's a hell of a nice guy! My buddy and I rode up to his booth near the end of the day on Thursday, right when most companies were packing up. He got us on bikes within minutes and sent us out. I couldn't get one of my SPD pedals off, and I was worried about using my hard-soled shoes on his plastic demo flat pedals, so he ran to his truck to offer me a pair of his own shoes to wear! Who does that?!? No one else, that's who! I ended up borrowing a big pedal wrench from another booth and used my own pedals after all, but that was an awesome gesture.

My buddy was on a Mr Big Stuff, and I believe he sent me out on a Nitro Stout? It was red, carbon, and had an insane build package on it! That was my first ride on a fat bike and I think I'm hooked. It was weird feeling, but a lot of fun. When I'm ready to expand the fleet, I'll definitely be picking up something with a Growler logo on it.

Pastafarian
    Nice. I decided I needed a fatty after demoing one at last year's dirt fest.

Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    I believe he sent me out on a Nitro Stout? It was red, carbon, and had an insane build package on it!
    You are a lucky man, you are one of the few that has test ridden the carbon Growler proto code name Nitro Stout. How was it?

mtbr member
    It's a hell of a machine! It's a little hard for me to give a true review of the bike itself
    because it felt so awkward compared to anything I've ever ridden before. It was my first fat bike ride, so everything felt a little "off". The wider bottom bracket and pedal position felt weird the whole time, and it was an odd feeling how the bike wanted to stay upright at speed, since it's basically two big heavy gyroscopes rolling down the trail! The build quality was perfection - the frame was beautiful, smooth layup and excellent paint work. I'm an custom auto painter, so of course that's what I look at! For as big of a footprint as a fat bike has, the thing was nimble and light feeling on the trail once I got used to the added weight of the tires. I was easily able to pre-jump and nose bonk some of the rollers, and generally carve it around like it was a lot smaller than it actually is. I know most people don't ride fat bikes for their playful nature, more for the rollover effect, but even treating it like that, it didn't really care. It definitely got me interested in fat bikes, that's for sure.

FB&H rider
    Some day man, some day!
    I'm so enjoying my MBS ride but that stout just sounds (and looks) so amazing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Check out this Facebook live post from yesterday it will make you smile. So often the bike industry is all about the bikes and technology and total ignores the most important factor.

https://www.facebook.com/GrowlerBike...3033508406527/

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    The Nitro Stout is live! I will be creating a new thread for it very soon. We already sold out of all the original stock this weekend at DirtFest except for 1 small frame. We have new stock on its way but because it's carbon there will be limited stock at first. Reach out to me at info@growlerbikes.com if you would like more information or want to place your order for a Nitro Stout.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    The carbon Nitro Stout was released this weekend at DirtFest. We sold out of all the frames except for 1 small. I will be creating a new thread tonight and you will see ordering information on the website tomorrow. New frames will be here in a few weeks but I have a feeling they will be sold out before they arrive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Check out this Facebook live post from yesterday it will make you smile. So often the bike industry is all about the bikes and technology and total ignores the most important factor.

https://www.facebook.com/GrowlerBike...3033508406527/
    Great story, know the family.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast