Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Awesome pictures! Very cool to see these bikes being built.
    Congrats.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Great looking nicely equipped bikes at a fair price an hour away from me. I really don't need another FB but Growler does have my interest. Just wondering if there are any design/geometry/handling comprises made in a frame designed to accommodate all the offered wheel sizes. Happy Thanksgiving!

tm3
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sounds like bang for the buck and I like the custom color options.

Are there any online reviews anywhere?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi tm3!

We do not have any perfessional reviews of our bikes. To be honest I am hesitant to do so as many of the reviewers wanted to be paid for the reviews. It's hard to get honest good and bad reviews of a product when we are paying them big bucks. I have reach out to anyone who has spent a fare amount of time in the saddle on our demo bikes and asked them to jump on here to offer their honest opinions of our bike. Hopefully as customers bikes arrrive they will give their unsolicited opinions. I would rather my customers know what they are really buying then read a bunch of fluff in magazine.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi guys,

New to the threads here. I met Wheels about 6 weeks ago through a group meet up at Dryer road park. My first thought after showing up and seeing these bikes was more or less indifferent. I was riding a Kona Wo that I'd had for about a year and thought was just fine. I showed up to ride the next week and decided that, after watching some of the guys riding these bikes tear up the trails and me struggling to keep up, that I wanted to try one out. Th next week I took out the 27.5+ and couldn't believe how well it climbed compared to my fatty, which I thought did a great job on the hills. What really hooked my interest was how fresh I felt after a 2 hour ride. My Kona was a rigid, which I didn't realize left me feeling shot after a ride of the same time and on the same trails, had me thinking maybe this would be a better choice of bike for me.
    I was sold on the 27.5+ frame after riding in absolute crap conditions for about 3 hours in Harriet Holister park in Canandaigua one night. In really wet/nasty conditions, the Mudwasp felt really secure, comfortable, and some how ready to keep riding after almost three hours. This ride is what prompted me to decide to sell my Kona and commit to a 27.5+. My experience is that these are well-thought out bikes. Solid components, small company mindset, and for the price, you couldn't build a bike on your own. I'll get mine this week and can't wait to get back on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Andy!

Thanks for jumping on and giving your feedback on the bike. Andy's bikenis the Jolly Rancher green bike in the above photos.

As everyone receives their bikes please jump on the forum and give your honest feedback on the bike, shipping, customer service and any other aspect of purchasing and owning a Growler Bike that you believe others would like to hear about.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hi everyone, I don't own a Growler Performance Fat Bike, but Wheels let me test one out for a few days, so I can provide some thoughts / feedback...

Being a factory direct bike, you get a lot for your money. The frame is hydroformed aluminum with internal cable routing. Itís produced by Kinesis manufacturing in Taiwan, and for those that donít know, Kinesis is an experienced frame manufacturer in the bike industry. They produce, or have produced, frames for mainstream bike companies like GT, Jamis, Raleigh, Kona, Felt, and Diamondback, to name a few. As a result, Growler is confident enough to offer a 5 year guarantee on their frames. The model I tested (Mr. Big Stuff) came with a Rock Shox Bluto fork, SunRingle Mulefut 80sl tubeless wheels, Magura MT5 dual piston brakes, Race Face Turbine crank & chainring, SRAM GX1 11 speed shifter and derailleur, Surly Bud & Lou 4.8 tires, FSA Carbon 750mm handlebar, carbon seatpost, WTB Volt saddle, and a SRAM 10-42 cassette. This winter setup weighed in at 32 pounds on my scale, but with a rigid fork and different tires it would be easy to get into the sub 30 pound range, which is more than respectable for this price range.

On the trail this bike was fun to ride. The geometry was great, putting the rider into a neutral position that was good for both climbing and descending. Shifting was spot on in every gear, and the chainguide was a nice touch. I found it to be quite maneuverable despite the big knobby 4.8 tires, and can imagine that with different tires and a dropper post this bike would be a blast in every season. That said, this bike is compatible with both 27.5+ and 29+ wheelsets, so in addition to fun, itís also versatile.

If you can get over the fact that this is not a "name brand" bike, and that the paint job might not be the most durable, what you get is a quality frame with many customizable options for a terrific price! And, as many of you can tell from his posts, Wheels is a solid guy that will bend over backward to answer your questions honestly and will go out of his way to give you a positive buying experience.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowlerBikes View Post
    Hi tm3!

We do not have any perfessional reviews of our bikes. To be honest I am hesitant to do so as many of the reviewers wanted to be paid for the reviews. It's hard to get honest good and bad reviews of a product when we are paying them big bucks. I have reach out to anyone who has spent a fare amount of time in the saddle on our demo bikes and asked them to jump on here to offer their honest opinions of our bike. Hopefully as customers bikes arrrive they will give their unsolicited opinions. I would rather my customers know what they are really buying then read a bunch of fluff in magazine.

Wheels!
    The customization of these bikes is great, and thanks for answering all the questions, Wheels! I'm curious if the frames have been tweaked at all from that of the Motobecane Sturgis/Nighttrain? I know you mentioned a process of making adjustments, but they look the same, and the geo appears the same. I've been riding that frame for a while, and the quality fit and finish is great, and really been digging it in all conditions over the past year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi dayooper,

Thanks for the input. That is a good catch that I haven't seen yet. I am not sure who manufacturers the Motobecane although they do look similar. It is possible that they are using a similar open source frame design as us with their own modifications to distinguish themselves from others. There appears to be a slight difference between the geometries in particular the head tube angle. We use the same head tube angle as the Mukluk which is 69į. We also have a couple of other items that I don't believe the Motobecane has which might be based on our customization of our open source frame. We have the chain guard, extra points to secure the brake cables, and the biggest is the Pannier mounts on the down tube. You don't see them in our photos but on the production bike they are there. I might order one of their frames just to see what they have going on.

Our build kit is much different as well. We include the carbon bars and seat post, make the wheels fully tubeless, and finally the ridiculously overpowered Magura MT5 Brakes. We also offer the full paint customization to go along with it.

With that being said I ran across a guy last year in a 24hr race that was running a Night Train and he raved about it. This guy had a few modification to it but it was a beautiful bike.

Thanks for the input once again.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks very much Wheels! I didn't notice the HT angle difference. Yeah, you've got some nice builds, and love the custom paint. I think what you're doing is great...keep up the good work, and good luck to you!

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Hey everyone, after about a month of brainstorming and no less that 48 emails back and forth between Wheels and myself. We have finally finished my design and I pulled the money trigger this morning to get it started. Wheels has been the most patient person to deal with my constant flip flopping of ideas. Do not hesitate to work with him on whatever you want. He bends over backwards for you and cares more about making the perfect build then he does just selling a bike. I am totally stoked for this build and if it looks like any of the other builds he has going on it will be amazing. Now I just have to be patient, that will be the hardest part for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Alright, So I finally got out on the new Mr. Big Stuff/Mudwasp today....

Couldn't be happier. I felt faster on the descents and climbs. Fresher after 2 hours than I usually do, and (a little) upset that I had to leave to take my daughter to meet Santa.
    In all honesty, this was as refreshing of a ride as I could've hoped for. The bike maneuvered really sharply, it felt almost effortless at times with the climbing, and was just a lot of fun to ride. Please, if you're considering a new fat bike, give Growler a chance. Wheels builds a hell of a bike at a great price.

Andy

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Was out at Dryer park in Victor, NY Saturday for a Global Fat Bike day ride. Growler was there and offered up a fat bike for me to ride. So I rode it for the duration of about 2+ hours and traveled about 9 miles. I am not a fan of jumping on an unknown bike and riding for any amount of time but I will have to say I was very impressed. The bike is lightweight, handles extremely well and is very well balanced. Couldn't be more impressed with the Growler guys also. They offered up demos throughout the day and answered questions. It sounds like they are willing to take the time to be sure their customers get a bike setup exactly how they want it. I am not just saying that because they provided free beer and hot dogs at the event. If you haven't checked them out yet, I would highly recommend it! Nice work Wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Which bike did you take out?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Good Question. I was trying to recall but sorry I can't. Wheels should be able to let you know. It was a white size medium with rigid fork. They swapped out some skinny tires and put fat on there for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    You had the mudwasp. That frame is interchangeable with the fat tires. That's what got but with the bluto fork. Mine was the green one on display.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by WoEpiscopo View Post
    Which bike did you take out?
    Hi Everyone,

JMunger took the Growler Mr. Big Stuff. It was setup originally as a Mudwap(27.5+). With the quick swap of the wheelsets he was off and running on a fatty.

How was your Growler Mr. Big Stuff Saturday?

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Good to know. Thanks WoEpiscopo. One thing I failed to mention is that we had 8 guys from the Oneida area in our group. Everyone was very impressed. Looking forward to seeing Growler out towards Oneida in January.

mtbr member

Bout to pull the trigger on a MB Sturgis Bullet ... convince me otherwise?

Howdy GrowlerBikes / Wheels!

I'm really stoked (er, bummed) that I happened upon this thread. I OP'd a thread just yesterday about my re-entry into the MTB fray. Once I get over my commitment level, I think I'm going to get something ordered (soon).

The last MTB I owned was a Rockhopper (18 years ago) from a buddy of mine. He paid in excess of $1K for and I got for "a song and dance." That bike was stolen about 10 years ago and I've been too busy being a good little tax-paying citizen to replace it. Well, my boys are old enough now to tear-up some trails and we're going to tear it up with manpower rather than horsepower (I grew up riding dirt bikes too.)

Anyway, I had settled my 'top of the wallet' choices down to the Framed MN 3.0 (w/Bluto) and the BD, Motobecane Sturgis Bullet (w/Bluto). I sure have learned a lot in the last couple of months concerning the incredible variances in component quality of these bikes. Certainly the Mr. Big Stuff (w/Bluto) is worth very penny you ask...but takes me $400 out of my self-assigned "comfort zone."

That being said, based on the clear upgrades on the MBS (over the Bullet)...again, your price seems quite competitive. And with that long-winded intro ...I have some questions ferya.

The one thing that has concerned me about the mail-order bikes is the oft-repeated comment that purchasers typically feel it necessary to tear-down much of the bike for re-lubing, setting of correct torque-spec, etc.
    • Can you comment on your delivery quality?
    • Can I expect to receive the bike, install the front wheel/tire, adjust the seat height...and hit the trails?
    • Since you assemble the bikes here (and they haven't just arrived in a box from an Asian freighter) ...I assume the assembly quality is much higher?

Since I had capped myself at $1500, reaching out to $1900 is tough (but doable & justified if I'm ready to commit to being a regular rider). Then I see that I have to absorb another $150 in shipping costs. Ouch.

• Why so high?
    • From date of order, what is the average delivery time?

I might as well be considered "a newb." I've ridden something on two wheels my whole life; however, it has been quite a while since I donned a leg-powered roller. While I would never expect you (GrowlerBikes) to tell me "No" ...perhaps this question is for other members of the forum

....is the MBS "too much bike" for me to dive back into riding MTB?

How long as Growler Bikes been around? I don't see anything on the website about how long you've been in business.

I appreciate any and all candid answers. Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by grimacetimus View Post
    Howdy GrowlerBikes / Wheels!

I'm really stoked (er, bummed) that I happened upon this thread. I OP'd a thread just yesterday about my re-entry into the MTB fray. Once I get over my commitment level, I think I'm going to get something ordered (soon).

The last MTB I owned was a Rockhopper (18 years ago) from a buddy of mine. He paid in excess of $1K for and I got for "a song and dance." That bike was stolen about 10 years ago and I've been too busy being a good little tax-paying citizen to replace it. Well, my boys are old enough now to tear-up some trails and we're going to tear it up with manpower rather than horsepower (I grew up riding dirt bikes too.)

Anyway, I had settled my 'top of the wallet' choices down to the Framed MN 3.0 (w/Bluto) and the BD, Motobecane Sturgis Bullet (w/Bluto). I sure have learned a lot in the last couple of months concerning the incredible variances in component quality of these bikes. Certainly the Mr. Big Stuff (w/Bluto) is worth very penny you ask...but takes me $400 out of my self-assigned "comfort zone."

That being said, based on the clear upgrades on the MBS (over the Bullet)...again, your price seems quite competitive. And with that long-winded intro ...I have some questions ferya.

The one thing that has concerned me about the mail-order bikes is the oft-repeated comment that purchasers typically feel it necessary to tear-down much of the bike for re-lubing, setting of correct torque-spec, etc.
    • Can you comment on your delivery quality?
    • Can I expect to receive the bike, install the front wheel/tire, adjust the seat height...and hit the trails?
    • Since you assemble the bikes here (and they haven't just arrived in a box from an Asian freighter) ...I assume the assembly quality is much higher?

Since I had capped myself at $1500, reaching out to $1900 is tough (but doable & justified if I'm ready to commit to being a regular rider). Then I see that I have to absorb another $150 in shipping costs. Ouch.

• Why so high?
    • From date of order, what is the average delivery time?

I might as well be considered "a newb." I've ridden something on two wheels my whole life; however, it has been quite a while since I donned a leg-powered roller. While I would never expect you (GrowlerBikes) to tell me "No" ...perhaps this question is for other members of the forum

....is the MBS "too much bike" for me to dive back into riding MTB?

How long as Growler Bikes been around? I don't see anything on the website about how long you've been in business.

I appreciate any and all candid answers. Thank you in advance.
    Hi Grimacetimus!

I will start at the top and answer the questions in order but in reality this is just one solid answer.

Shipping Quality: We use FedEx for all of our deliveries. We quote 5 days for shipping but usually arrives within 4 days of notification unless it is traveling to Alaska or outside of the United States. You will be given the tracking number so that you can follow along with your shipment and you will be notified if there are any delays via FedEx.

Bike assembly upon delivery: This was an important aspect for us. We had a special box designed so that we can deliver our bikes completely built and needing no adjustments. When you receive your bike you will pull the bike out of the box, attach the front tire with thru axle, insert seat, and off you ride. Nothing more is needed. The handlebars and stem are completely assembled and torqued to manufacturers specs.

Assembled in Farmington NY: You are absolutely correct. Our bikes are built from scratch to each customers specific request. That includes the hand built wheels. Once our customers decide on the custom powder coat and label colors the bicycles head to the paint shop and wheels off to the wheels builder. Once paint has been completed the bicycles will head over to the warehouse where the bicycle will be assembled and tuned by hand and to manufacturer specs. The benefit is that the bike will be delivered ready to ride right out of the box.

Shipping: Our cost of shipping is $150 because of the way we deliver the bicycle. Our box is huge and allows us to ship the bike completely assembled and tuned ready to ride. This eliminates the need for our customers to either build up and tune the bike themselves or worst pay someone else to do so.

Shipping Time: We estimate 10 business days to custom build your brand new Growler Performance Fat Bike from ground up. Shipping is estimated at 5 days. Times will usually be a day or two faster.

We launched Growler Performance Fat Bikes this year. As with any company it will take time to get the word out but as you will see there has been good feed back about not only working with us but our bike quality and performance. I always encouraged anyone who has purchased a Growler Performance Fat Bike to join the forum and give their honest opinion of their interactions with Growler. I strive to make this experience as personal as I possibly can. 90% of the time when you decide to purchase a Growler Mr. Big Stuff you will be in contact with me. I will work with you on your personal color concepts and logo designs. Throughout the process I always send photos of the bike after paint, during the build and prior to shipping. I want you to have the opportunity to watch your bike being created. Also if there is something that you would like to have changed we can make that happen on the fly.

As to how much of a bike a person needs is really up to what the rider's end goals are. The idea to the Growler bikes are that we have already made the upgrades that many riders do after they buy their bikes. Our bikes will be delivered tubeless so that you don't have to pay to have it done afterwards. We have also already upgraded your handlebars and seat post to carbon fiber and put the most powerful 4 piston hydraulic brakes we could find on the bike. The color is custom done for each customer so you will basically have a one off bike with high quality components at a reasonable price. Then we back all this up with a 5 year manufactures warranty on the frame.

Hopefully this answered all of your questions. Please feel free to post again or you can email me directly at info@growlerbikes.com. I hope to hear from you soon.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Growler,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I've got some ponderin' to do on this. Ultimately, it might boil down to how much I can get my boys into the sport. I've just bought them some "better-than-wallyworld" bikes ...but still went pretty cheap since they are certainly more flaky than I about their hobbies (if that can be imagined). If they jump on their new bikes X-mas day and I have to peel them off to come play video games (LOL ...not likely...but if they ride a significant amount of time, it will be telling), I'll probably order something for myself the week after X-mas.

There was one question I forgot to ask ...and it is probably more of a generic question. I see there are wildly varying opinions about going 1x10 or 2x10 (or x11). I notice that your MBS is a 1x. I understand some of the justification for the 1x (for snow / mud reasons) ...but most of the bikes I had settled in on prior to discovering the Growler MBS are all 2x10s.

Can anyone shed more light on which would be best for me? I will have a mix of desert riding, single-tracks and some higher-elevation two-tracks. I live in Arizona so the riding opportunities are many and varied. While I might grin playing in some mud, I'm not likely to play in the snow too much (but who knows...if I can keep my desert-rat kids warm enough, we might ride in the snow.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Grimacetimus,

To get the kids involved in the sport it is always a good idea to find them a league to join or someone to coach them like the guys we have here locally called "Singletrack Academy" They teach the kids how to properly ride and in turn the kids enjoy the activity much more. I also like to go out to the races or pathetically actually race. My favorite is a 24hr race that we do locally. It is fun to have family and friends camped out sharing the sport that you love.

As for the buying "better than wallyfworld" bikes. That was a smart idea until you know for sure how much interest they will have. The good news is that even if they don't jump on the trail with you every week they will still get a lot of use out of the better quality bike just tooling around the neighborhood with their friends. Also take a look at your local Meetup groups. I bet you will find guys just like yourself who just need a riding partner. I have met many great people just by joining the local fat bike Meetup.

I run across the 1x vs 2x debate a lot. There are many benefits to using a 1x. First, you will lose about a pound of weight off of the bike. Personally this isn't as big of an issue as people make weight out to be but your bike will be lighter. If you are trying to make a fat bike lighter the most important aspect is the rotational weight of the wheels. Going tubeless has a huge effect on performance. Your bike will feel more lively. Move the wheels to carbon fiber and the bike turns into something completely different. We have been testing the carbon wheels and oh boy to they make a difference. Even more so then moving to a carbon frame. Secondly, you have less mechanical issues that may arise by removing the 2x and would reduce maintenance cost overall.

Your decision comes down to two basic questions you have to ask yourself.

1) Does the terrain I ride force me to use my smallest gear currently for many of my climbs? If it does then you have two choices. you could go 2x or you can adjust your front chainring from the standard 32t to a 30t or even a 28t. We set up bikes this way often. This would make the bike easier to push on a steep climb. The negative effect of a smaller chainring would be that your top end speed would be reduced. I have only found this to be an issue on the road going down hill.

2) Is my conditioning strong enough to use a standard 1x11? This goes hand in hand with question number 1. You can modify the gearing relatively easily and we can set up the gearing to your liking before we send you the bike. Conditioning is an interesting animal. I find that most riders will adapt to the setup they have. If you use a 2x you will most likely always use the available gearing and the same would go for a 1x. If you chose 1x then you would adapt to the gear range that you have available.

Lastly, you stated that you are wanting to get back into mountain biking. One of the most underrated things that I have noticed is how much more stable a fat bike or even a plus bike is compared to the traditional 29ers. Although 29ers will always be more nimble that is not always a good thing for a new rider. Nimble can often feel loose. The wider tires give a smoother more controlled platform. I find fatty riders rolling over obstacles easier as the tires spread over the trail and eat up rock gardens and roots. You will notice that you will slip a lot less. The same thing goes for climbing. A fat bike allows you to move your position over the handlebars farther while you are standing without losing traction. Add in more braking power as well. Especially when your using the Magura MT5 4 piston brakes with 180/180 rotors and the larger contact pad of the fatty tires and you have some serious stopping power. Lastly it is just a blast to see the fat ol tire out in front while you are crushing the trail.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with their opinions as well. I try to give my personal experiences and not the company sales line but that does come out here and there.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Grimacetimus,

My Kona Wo was a 2x10 XT drivetrain. I liked how it climbed and how well it cruised. But sometimes I felt short on some of the really steep/long climbs or like I couldn't keep up on some of the faster trails (might have also been because I was riding 5"x4" tires all summer long too), but looking back, I was moving slower than a lot of the guys I was riding with.
    Going with the SRAM GX drivetrain, climbs are just a little bit easier than they were before, and having the quick access to whatever gear I want/need is really helpful. Most new bikes, especially higher-end set-ups are coming out with well well-designed 1x drivetrains, and that's what Wheels has on the growlers. It's a comfortable set up and really offers a lot of range that you can't get out of of a 2x set up. That and your clearance for obstacles increases with only one chainring. These are my two cents, I'm still new to the 1x set up but I love it already.

Andy

mtbr member
    Loving all the feedback on here folks ... thank you very much.

Wheels ...

1) I live in the Arizona Desert (Phoenix metro area). Truth is my riding is bound to be quite diverse. When I have both boys with me, we'll probably stay on the flats quite a bit with maybe just some rolling dry lake bed type stuff. When I venture out with my older boy, or perhaps by myself, I plan on some more challenging (but far from pro-level) rides. Could be a fair bit of climbing. The Usery Pass trail I want to tackle has 1500' of elevation change I believe ...thru thick desert landscape.

2) I am decidedly out-of-shape. Part of my motivation is losing some weight / reconditioning. I'm a 45-year-old that is no less than 40# over my ideal weight. I'd like to lose even more than that, but 40# is the goal. So, I might need a more "granny" gearing in the beginning than 6mo - a year from now.

WoEpiscopo ...thank you very much for the that. If I don't go with the Growler for some reason (which would be to spend less) ... it'll be tough to find a bike that isn't 2x9 or 2x10.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Grimacetimu,

With that answer I think you know what your needs are. A 2x would be the right starting point for your capabilities. We do offer the SRAM GX 2x11 setup at no additional charge. The Raceface Turbine Cinch crankset that we offer can be easily converted back to a 1x by a LBS or you if you have the correct tools in under 15 minutes if you decide later that you no longer need the 2x. All you would need to purchase at that time is the appropriate chainring which run $40-$50. If you choose us or another bike company I think you know what you need to fit your riding style and physical condition. Getting the right equipment is half the challenge.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Grimacetimu,

With that answer I think you know what your needs are. A 2x would be the right starting point for your capabilities. We do offer the SRAM GX 2x11 setup at no additional charge. The Raceface Turbine Cinch crankset that we offer can be easily converted back to a 1x by a LBS or you if you have the correct tools in under 15 minutes if you decide later that you no longer need the 2x. All you would need to purchase at that time is the appropriate chainring which run $40-$50. If you choose us or another bike company I think you know what you need to fit your riding style and physical condition. Getting the right equipment is half the challenge.

Wheels!
    Thanks Wheels ... I've some thunkin' to do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hey one last thing to consider is this:

My first mountain bike was a 29er from Bikes direct. Not a bad starter bike, but after about 6 months, I found myself wanting to upgrade components like shifters, tires, grips, etc. I then bought my Kona and thought I was set. Wrong. I again found myself not just wanting upgrades, but doing upgrades. I replaced my entire rear drive train, tires (plus a tubeless setup), brakes, and a few other things. I spent almost as much on the bike and upgrades as my Growler cost. Keep that in mind, as you ride, you'll find yourself wanting some nicer stuff eventually. And though you might save up-front, you'll more than likely end up spending as much if not even more eventually on better components. That's what I've learned in my time riding thee past few years.

tm3
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks Wheels ... I've some thunkin' to do.
    IMO, since you are saying that you are >40 y.o., 40# overweight, and out of shape, one of the most important considerations for you is to get a bike with low enough gearing. If you blow your knees pushing too high of a gear you are not going to be happy. I'd shoot for a granny gear (lowest low gear) below 20 inches. Then after you get your new bike you want to be careful in setting the seat position correctly, especially the height.

I understand setting a budget. I will add however that buying higher quality components is actually cheaper in the long run, and the satisfaction of having and using higher end stuff can be a motivator for getting out on the trail and putting in the miles.

Good luck with your pick -- you are going to have a lot of fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Just wanted to let everyone know working with Willo is awesome. He is very responsive to questions and is dedicated to providing outstanding customer service. I knew from his first email reply to me, I would be purchasing my fat bike from him. Now I just have to choose a color...

FB&H rider
    Grimace,
    I agree - there are quite a few significant upgrades on the Growler bikes over BH/Framed - if you price them all out you be well over 2$ once you upgrade those bikes... I too am a recent entry/returner to MTB stuff and spent $1500 on a Trek - great bike IMO and well worth it. I think the extra $400-$600 on a Growler will likely be well worth it.
    I plan to grow from 2X to 1X on my next purchase but the 2X was a good place to start for someone who hadn't stood over pedals for 20 years....
    Good luck!

(and yeah, IMO, DEFINITELY go for Growler over the similar Framed/BD bikes)
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    After three days on my new Growler I have to say I am thoroughly impressed with Willo and his bikes!
    The whole process was super easy with fantastic communication; any question or concern and he was there right away to help out.
    I will let the components and ability to get a custom paint job speak for themselves; the rides have been awesome with a bunch of little girl giggles along the snowy trails here in CO.
    The bike is fast, nimble, and a heck of a lot more fun than a few other fatties I have taken for a spin.
    Job well done Willo; I cannot wait to see what Growler becomes!

mtbr member
    Well...

...I'm gonna do it! Just sent my email to Willo declaring my intent to get a new Growler Mr. Big Stuff (with Bluto). It's been a "long, windy trail" getting to this decision point and I am stoked, stoked, stoked. It's the holidays and I'm laying this on him right before the jingle-jingle, but maybe I can be trailbound no later than mid-Jan. C'mon 2017!!! Let's get my arse in shape and put on some (s)miles!

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Grim,

Very cool and congrats, although the hard part is now here, the waiting. And I even have a longer wait as I am overseas and won't be back till June, ugh it's killing me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by op71 View Post
    Grim,

Very cool and congrats, although the hard part is now here, the waiting. And I even have a longer wait as I am overseas and won't be back till June, ugh it's killing me.
    op71,

I just ordered your Ammo Box panniers and your bike headed to the paint shop for the custom OD green and yellow logos. I will send you some pics when it is completed. Until then be safe over there.

Wheels!

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    I think I just pee'd a little

mtbr member
    op71,

I just ordered your Ammo Box panniers and your bike headed to the paint shop for the custom OD green and yellow logos. I will send you some pics when it is completed. Until then be safe over there.

Wheels!
    Now I have GOT to see that when it's finished!!! Sounds fugawesome!

I think I just pee'd a little

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I've gotta say, after researching bikes for the last couple months due to being on disability for a surgery(I've got the time lol), I'm really interested in these Growler Performance bikes. I have a problem buying things, usually cars, that I'll buy and then continue to modify till I eventually either get sick of when I'm done or regret spending all the money on. With these bikes its literally buy it and ride it. I don't have to go tubeless or replace all the boat anchor parts. These are at the end of my pricepoint, but I really wont have to do anything to it. For the same money I could buy an Alaskan Alloy with a similar build, but with lesser wheels being the biggest difference. May pull the trigger on one of these in the new year

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman39 View Post
    I've gotta say, after researching bikes for the last couple months due to being on disability for a surgery(I've got the time lol), I'm really interested in these Growler Performance bikes. I have a problem buying things, usually cars, that I'll buy and then continue to modify till I eventually either get sick of when I'm done or regret spending all the money on. With these bikes its literally buy it and ride it. I don't have to go tubeless or replace all the boat anchor parts. These are at the end of my pricepoint, but I really wont have to do anything to it. For the same money I could buy an Alaskan Alloy with a similar build, but with lesser wheels being the biggest difference. May pull the trigger on one of these in the new year
    Iceman39,

I compared the Alaskan alloy to the Growler very extensively. You're right, the pricing is similar, but the Growler comes with the carbon bars, carbon seat tube, and decidedly better wheelset (that comes tubeless). I think the Framed came in at ~$1900 shipped, but the upgrades are worth $130-$170, so the price point is very similar. Throw in some other bonuses...

1. Custom colors*
    2. Front wheel install and ride. Getting a 80-90% bike didn't worry me, but when I took stock of my current "To-do" list, the 99.5% install almost became a deal-maker for me. So now, it can just hang on the workstand for 2-week tune & pre-ride inspections.
    3. Willo (Weye-low)-What a cool dude. I can honestly say that I've never made a purchase quite like this one. Great experience and made a friend in the process. **

* From my understanding, the color pallete on his website isn't exhaustive either (could be some small upcharge for non-standard color...don't know.)

** I come from a family that ran Mom & Pop boat and motorcycle businesses for 60+ years in a small city (pop. 50K). We all wrenched and we all sold. Willo's dedication to detail and getting you the bike you need/want is exactly the way we handled customer's in our small town. It's something we've all probably experienced, but it was really cool to get that in an online purchase. Back at "Lee's Motorcycles" and "Lee's Capitol Boat Sales" ...like Willo, we built a community of enthusiasts and it was beer:30 everyday at closing (which was usually the busiest time of the day for obvious reasons The only thing then really missing from my experience with Growler / Willo is the beer (but I reckon that day will eventually come.)

Everyone have a happy & safe holidays.

(Remember ...we have bikes & things like Uber/Lyft. Keep it safe out there compadres!)

mtbr member
    Hey Willo,

Great to see a local company doing well, I know well how challenging running a small business is ...especially in NY Good luck to you guys !
    That being said, I was wondering if you'd answer a couple questions for me ?

1. What is the rigid for offering for the fatbike ? I didn't see it on the website...my bad if I missed it.

2. Any plans to offer a carbon version of the Mr. Big Stuff in the future ?

I went with the Framed Minnesota option a couple years ago....it's a great bike but probably not something I care to spend a lot to upgrade- so as things wear out I'll be looking to replace it ( one more season maybe )

Merry Christmas everyone !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nyxcracer View Post
    Hey Willo,

Great to see a local company doing well, I know well how challenging running a small business is ...especially in NY Good luck to you guys !
    That being said, I was wondering if you'd answer a couple questions for me ?

1. What is the rigid for offering for the fatbike ? I didn't see it on the website...my bad if I missed it.

2. Any plans to offer a carbon version of the Mr. Big Stuff in the future ?

I went with the Framed Minnesota option a couple years ago....it's a great bike but probably not something I care to spend a lot to upgrade- so as things wear out I'll be looking to replace it ( one more season maybe )

Merry Christmas everyone !
    nyxcracer,

1. All of Willo's Growlers are offered as rigid-fork bikes. The Bluto is a $300 upgrade (pretty generous since they're hard to find new for less than $500).

2. Growler Bikes has the E'Ville (that is carbon) but I think it's a 27.5+ FS bike.

Can't wait to get my new Mr. Big Stuff!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi nyxcracer & Iceman39!

Sorry I didn't respond as fast as grimacetimus. Usually the forum alerts me when there are new post. For some reason it only alerted me when Grimacetimus responded the second time. Grimacetimus is the Growler community at its best. Thank you Grimacetimus for filling in for me buddy when I wasn't checking in on the forum. I promise when I get out to AZ I am taking you out for a beer or two.

Grimacetimus and I have had many conversations over the past two weeks and he is exactly correct in everything he stated.

Iceman - Grimacetimus responded to your post better then I could ever have because he had the opportunity to build his bike from your perspective. An interesting thing that might apply to you coming back from surgery and getting back on the bike after a hiatus would be exactly what we ordered for Grimacetimus. In his setup we gave him the largest gearing ratio possible. We set him up with the SRAM GX 2x11 running a 22/34 up front and a 11-42 in the rear. Depending on your terrain and usage this may be a very helpful way to get back in the saddle without over straining your abilities. And just as I suggested to Grimacetimus as you get stronger the Raceface Turbine Cinch crankset that we use is very easy to convert to a 1x11 if you ever want to. Also since you have some extra time on your hands I would recommend checking out the color lab on our website. Growler Fat Bikes. If you have a concept in your mind shot me an email and I will toss it into our programing and send your a couple drawings.

nyxcracer - Once again Grimacetimus crushed it on the answers.
    1) We offer three fork options on our website.
    -Growler Mr. Big Stuff with the Growler Aluminum fork for $1600. 29lbs
    -The Growler Mr. Big Stuff with a Wren Carbon Fork is $1900. 28lbs
    -The Growler Mr. Big Stuff with a Rockshox Bluto 100mm suspension fork is $1900. 30lbs

2) We are prototyping a new Carbon Fiber Fat Bike frame that will be available in next years lineup. It will run the exact same build options as the Growler Mr. Big Stuff.

If you have any questions please feel free to post them here or you can email me at info@growlerbikes.com

Thanks again grimacetimus for all the help!

mtbr member
    Thanks again grimacetimus for all the help!
    You're welcome ...and forgive me for butting-in.

I see folks talkin' about Growler Bikes and I'm just like...

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-squirrel-imgur.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks Grimacetimus and Wheels for your replies. You've given me better first hand information than I could have hoped to find elsewhere. Buying a Growler feels like a no brainer to me simply because I couldn't build something better for the price in my opinion. And this bike will show up at my door essentially ready to ride!

I had wrist surgery for a torn ligament in my wrist. Work with my hands for 20 years with no big injuries and then I got into Spartan Races. I figure I'll be safer on two wheels. Been more of a runner in recent years, and really looking forward to pedaling more.

Wheels, I've already been checking out the color lab, which is just awesome. After this holiday craziness is over I'll be sending you an email with some ideas.

Everyone have a great Holiday

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Do It!!!!!

FB&H rider
    I'm still a Growler lurker since the Growler is my first choice for my next fattie - but I haven't even bought one yet!
    Still, just noticed Wheels added this page to the Growler Bikes & Brews page: Growler Fat Bikes - folks are posting some cool pics of their bikes there.
    Of course if you're reading this here feel free to post your Growler pics in this thread or over at the fatbike pic of the day thread(s).

Happy New Years all!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    I'm still a Growler lurker since the Growler is my first choice for my next fattie - but I haven't even bought one yet!
    Still, just noticed Wheels added this page to the Growler Bikes & Brews page: Growler Fat Bikes - folks are posting some cool pics of their bikes there.
    Of course if you're reading this here feel free to post your Growler pics in this thread or over at the fatbike pic of the day thread(s).

Happy New Years all!
    I must have looked at those pics 20x in the last week.

Can't wait to get mine ...hoping by the end of next week! Until then...

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 374
Size:  160.4 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hey one last thing to consider is this:

My first mountain bike was a 29er from Bikes direct. Not a bad starter bike, but after about 6 months, I found myself wanting to upgrade components like shifters, tires, grips, etc. I then bought my Kona and thought I was set. Wrong. I again found myself not just wanting upgrades, but doing upgrades. I replaced my entire rear drive train, tires (plus a tubeless setup), brakes, and a few other things. I spent almost as much on the bike and upgrades as my Growler cost. Keep that in mind, as you ride, you'll find yourself wanting some nicer stuff eventually. And though you might save up-front, you'll more than likely end up spending as much if not even more eventually on better components. That's what I've learned in my time riding thee past few years.
    WoEpiscopo;
    If you don't mind me asking, how are the 3.5" tires for the mudwasp? nimble? Also your thoughts on the 69 degree HA?

Looking to buy a plus bike for summer riding.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    SpartyinWI,

I know you are looking for WoEpiscopo's opinion but I would like to toss out some thoughts. We have two bikes that use plus tires. The Mudwasp which uses a 3.5" and the E'Ville which uses the 3.0". If we could have put the 3.5" on the E'Ville we would have. The 3.5" Fat B Nimble roll equally fast and have very similar tread patterns. What I like about the 3.5" is that it gives you just a little more traction on the climbs yet really flies down the trail. It also has a slightly larger volume which is nice when the terrain gets brutal. I don't race very often but when I do I use the mud wasp setup because of how fast it really is. The other cool part is that if you every wanted to you could swap out for the 29+ for really technical rides or fatties for nasty late fall through early spring rides. I am not sure where you are from but I will take a stab at WI based on your user name.

As for the 69į headtube angle. When you combine this bike with the overall geometry the headtube angle fits very nicely. At 27lbs the bike feels very responsive and nimble through the trails.

Once again I know you were looking for WoEpiscopo's opinion but I thought I would still comment.

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks Wheels,

I wanted to also say that this bike with the 3.5" Fat B-Nimble tires climbed as well as any bike I've ever tried. I had my Kona set up really well for drawn-out climbs and even with the summer wheels on, I have the Mudwasp out on rainy-leaf covered trails for 2+ hours and had fewer slips than with my Kona. But set up now as a true fatty with a serious climinb tire in back, the only reason I dont make a climb is usually due to rider error/stupidity/laziness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks guys.

mtbr member

Christmas ain't over yet!

So Willo sent me my teaser pics. Here's my frame.

(I named "her" ..... "Phatallica" and Willo threw the name on her top tube for me.)

The waiting is quite difficult...but I'm keepin' it together.

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-image1.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-image2.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    (Slow clap) Welcome to the family!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Looking good, grimacetimus! Like the name too!!

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Grim,

I love the name and your color choice. Wheels is great for adding these little personal touches to the bikes. I am still a week away from my teaser pics. So good to see these things coming together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    This is what I love the most about the Growler community. Grim is stoked about his new bike and everyone rushes in to drool right along side him. I am always amazed how awesome you guys are. Thanks for letting me be apart of this amazing ride and I hope that these new bikes lead you all on adventures that you never thought you would experience and make new friends that you never new you had.

Wheels!

FB&H rider
    DANG awesome Grimace!
    Can't wait for the ride reports!

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Thanks everyone

(Slow clap) Welcome to the family!
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn11 View Post
    Looking good, grimacetimus! Like the name too!!
    I love the name and your color choice. Wheels is great for adding these little personal touches to the bikes. I am still a week away from my teaser pics. So good to see these things coming together.
    DANG awesome Grimace!
    Can't wait for the ride reports!
    Thanks guys! Definitely looking forward to the maiden voyage and beyond.

Of my household of 6, my wife will be the only one without a bike (all four chitlins have bikes). We had a discussion about that last night and she's now thinking she wants a fattie too. I've never seen her ride a bike, so I asked her ..."When's the last time you rode a bike?" ...."When I was 9 years-old." (~26 years ago)

Wha? Wha? What?!

She grew-up with 5 other siblings in a military family and as her family bounced around from base-to-base, it became increasingly difficult for her family to keep & transport bikes for 6 kids. So...I'm not sure what I'll be getting her. I'm going to have her ride my boy's new $500-ish Haro MTB first. Then maaaaaaaybe let her try my Growler MBS (if she doesn't crash the Haro ). From there we'll decide what to get her. If she decides to get "super-serial" like me, there could be another MBS on order before summertime hits!!!

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Well they say once you learn you never forget. I guess you will test that theory out.

mtbr member
    Well they say once you learn you never forget. I guess you will test that theory out.
    "It's just like riding a bike..."

With a 26-year gap, a near doubling of weight (she weighs ~130# today) and a much bigger bike with freewheel and cantilever brakes ......it should be interesting!

Maybe I should have her ride my smaller boy's Haro BMX first.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Finally getting around to posting some pics of my new Growler. All I can say is extremely happy with the bike and the whole process. In addition to designing the paint/logo color scheme, "Wheels" let me add some upgrades I wanted, including a blue crankset (w/ smaller 30T chainring), blue rim strips and an XO rear derailleur. I threw on my Bud and Lou for the snow, happy to say both tires have gobs of clearance on this frame. Very happy so far, time to ride the hell out of it!

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-20170107_162813.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-20170107_162821.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-20170107_162849.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Potsy12 View Post
    Finally getting around to posting some pics of my new Growler. All I can say is extremely happy with the bike and the whole process. In addition to designing the paint/logo color scheme, "Wheels" let me add some upgrades I wanted, including a blue crankset (w/ smaller 30T chainring), blue rim strips and an XO rear derailleur. I threw on my Bud and Lou for the snow, happy to say both tires have gobs of clearance on this frame. Very happy so far, time to ride the hell out of it!
    Fine lookin' whip Potsy! T-minus four days until mine hits the doorstep and I simply cannot wait. I couldn't agree with you more about the process. Wheels was awesome with everything with my bike, including the personal touches.

Can't recommend Growler Bikes enough.

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have been lurking / following this thread since the very first post. I am really psyched with what I have been reading. Hopefully, later this year I can work with Wheels on getting a new Fat Bike! I have loved my Framed Minnesota that I have had for the past 3 years, but I might have an upgrade in the future. I am following the Growler Facebook page too. Please keep posting pictures and reviews!

FB&H rider
    MPE - I've been lurking since the kickstarter days Like you I'll be designing one soon
    Potsy! Love the new wheels :P

Grimace, agree with 'titrating' the wife up to the Mr Big Stuff heh. (BTW, careful... now we know the wife's age AND weight.... oops). I've been in & around the military for a couple and perhaps the frequent moves are why I hadn't been on a bike for a long time either, but a fatbike is just what the Dr ordered!

As you know, my personal plan is to get a Growler in a couple months and my daughter will get my 'old' fattie.

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Hey Guys, Its great to be a part of this and I have almost bitten off all my fingernails waiting for my first teaser shot to show up in my inbox. Its funny how all our stories just sort of line up with each other. Potsy I too like your ride and look forward to seeing it get dirty. My wife is also looking at joining me for rides and the kids are always ready to tag along. I am upgrading from a Boris X7 to the MBS, the Boris will be going to my 13 year old. Pepper, I appreciate what you said about the military and moving around, I am currently in the Democratic Republic of Congo and other than pictures I won't be able to see my MBS in person till June. Wheels has promised to take good care of it for me in the meantime. But it will be going with me to Bishkek Kyrgyzstan with me so I can hit those incredible mountains in style. But it is possible to bring these around and trust me when I say the Congolese people are not used to seeing a fat bike.

Keep the pics coming guys of what you create, I love the fact that almost everyone one of these bikes will be different and personal to the owner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MPE View Post
    I have been lurking / following this thread since the very first post. I am really psyched with what I have been reading. Hopefully, later this year I can work with Wheels on getting a new Fat Bike! I have loved my Framed Minnesota that I have had for the past 3 years, but I might have an upgrade in the future. I am following the Growler Facebook page too. Please keep posting pictures and reviews!
    MPE ... I should have my new Growler MBS in less than three days (I'm not counting the hours or anything. )

I plan on a series of video reviews and will post them here. Sure to be an egregious amount of pics too.

Grimace, agree with 'titrating' the wife up to the Mr Big Stuff heh. (BTW, careful... now we know the wife's age AND weight.... oops). I've been in & around the military for a couple and perhaps the frequent moves are why I hadn't been on a bike for a long time either, but a fatbike is just what the Dr ordered!

As you know, my personal plan is to get a Growler in a couple months and my daughter will get my 'old' fattie.
    LOL - I'm no genius, and I'm no dummy ...but I had to lookup "titrating" with a huge 12 year-old grin on my face.

If my wife was sensitive about her weight or her age ...believe me, I would have thought twice about the "too much information." She's about as cool as they come ...not sure how I got so damn lucky.

We've talked about it a lot and I started looking at something more "entry." I found a 2013 Salsa Beargrease (Aluminum) that was spec'd out pretty nice; was tubeless; had brakes upgrade; and carbon bars/seatpost. The guy wanted $1400 which was just way too much based on my research. The bike was fairly clean, with normal chainstay marks ...but the drivetrain looked like it had never been cleaned. I offered him $900, we bounced a few emails back and forth and he came down to $1200. My high-side for the bike was definitely $900. So...no deal on that one.

The more wifey & I talked, the more we decided to put a $750 cap on it, let her get her feet wet, and if she really likes riding, there'll definitely be another Growler in the family stable. I've honed-in on a Framed 3.0 XWT (rigid fork). I'm going to work pretty hard at getting her to ride ...get good on the Framed and then have her ride my Growler MBS a few times. I expect the 3.0 to be my oldest boy's by her birthday.

Less than three days now!!!

~65 hours, 20 minutes left

mtbr member
    So ... I have been refreshing my browser every 10-12 hours to see where my new Growler MBS is at in it's journey to it's new loving home. I just refreshed it a few minutes ago and my scheduled delivery day bumped from Wed 1/11 to Thu 1/12 .....

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-giphy.jpg

FB&H rider
    Hang in there! You'll live!
    The national weather crisis wasn't put there just to foil you!
    Snowing here too, one of my coworkers just called to say she was stuck in the snow.
    Makes me want to play hooky and get out there on my fattie!

mtbr member
    Hang in there! You'll live!
    The national weather crisis wasn't put there just to foil you!
    Snowing here too, one of my coworkers just called to say she was stuck in the snow.
    Makes me want to play hooky and get out there on my fattie!
    So true...I was just being comically dramatic. I've been riding this roller coaster since late October (researching bikes, visiting LBS's, researching some more, ad infinitum). What's one more day? Technically, the seeds of Phattie lust were sown more than 6 years ago when the Surly and Salsa offerings expanded and started getting really cool. Definitely, I can wait one more day. (Lord help me that the weather holds and Thursday is actually "the day").
    2017 Growler MBS Bluto - His
    2017 Framed 3.0 XWT Rigid - Hers

"Don't Hurt People and Don't Take Their Stuff" - Kibbe

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

The Growler Community!

op71, If you think you love all he conversation just imagine how humbled I am to have a personal relationship with each and every one of you guys. Although I have never met most of you I surprisingly know a lot about your lives just as you know a lot about my life. The Growler community was an unintentional but so very welcomed aspect of this company.

grimacetimus - 2 more days and you will be rocking that new bike. I can't wait to see all the photos and videos. I especially want to see some photos when you and your buddy start the race in a few months. I love that you actually went all in and committed to the challenge.

PhdPepper - We are just starting your masterpiece. You too will soon be rocking your new Growler!

Lastly, I have a little teaser for everyone. I have intentionally not released to much information about this new fat bike because I know that the questions and emails will begin to fly but here is a photo of a new Carbon Fiber Fat Bike that we will be launching very soon. I don't have a price and can't release the specs just yet but I promise it will follow the same ideals as the Mr. Big Stuff. Great build kits on a great frame at a great price point. I will have more information to release in a few weeks.

Don't mind the photo location. It is sitting on the island in my kitchen. I called it table art. My wife told me to get it out of her kitchen. Haha!

Wheels!
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-image1-5.jpg

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Wheels that is one sweet looking frame Sir. I am excited for you and look forward to seeing this come to life. You business concept and personal investment into the life of all of us is what makes Growler stand out from the rest in my book.

FB&H rider
    SWEET frame indeed!
    Love those curves.

OP71, be safe out there brother.

mtbr member
    Cool, when it's a go I'll take a road trip to western NY for a demo. Looking forward to meeting you guys!

mtbr member
    Diggity, diggity...

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Diggity, diggity...

Congrats brother. Now stop stalling and rip that box open.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Why are you online and not out riding!!! Congrats!
    Can't wait to see it and hear your impressions!

mtbr member
    Well ... I am technically working from home today. But I have taken it out of the box and have everything connected. I'll do some pre-ride on it and have some more pics/video to offer a little later this evening.

Here it is comin' out of the shipping container (and evidence of how much weight I do need to lose)...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nice video!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Well ... I am technically working from home today. But I have taken it out of the box and have everything connected. I'll do some pre-ride on it and have some more pics/video to offer a little later this evening.

Here it is comin' out of the shipping container (and evidence of how much weight I do need to lose)...

Thank you for making this video. I have personally never experience the unpacking of one our bikes after it was shipped across the country. I think after seeing this video I can can improve this process and I will spend some time adjusting how the bikes are packed. Although the bikes arrive completely assembled and that is a huge advantage I don't want to burden the customer with how difficult it was to remove the wrapping.

Anyone have any thoughts on this process?

Once again thanks for the video!

Wheels!

mtbr member
    Thank you for making this video. I have personally never experience the unpacking of one our bikes after it was shipped across the country. I think after seeing this video I can can improve this process and I will spend some time adjusting how the bikes are packed. Although the bikes arrive completely assembled and that is a huge advantage I don't want to burden the customer with how difficult it was to remove the wrapping.

Anyone have any thoughts on this process?

Once again thanks for the video!

Wheels!
    Wheels,

I really didn't have any complaints. As I stated on the video, I thought it was packed very well & thoroughly. Perhaps some preformed foam or structured cardboard is in the future of shipping development, but again...I'm quite satisfied with how Phatallica arrived and unpacked.

I got 9# in the front and 10# in the back ...I've had her out and around the neighborhood and even played around slamming thru a little dry, river-rocked, run-off majigger I have in my front yard. The phattie + bluto just soakin' that stuff up like nuthin.'

With my 230# ...I did pump-up the Bluto to 130#. Seems a little stiff now, but I'll play with it.

mtbr member
    I'll try to get some better pics...Hope these help a little...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Grim, she looks sweet as hell. I'm going to be following your experience so you can iron out all the details for me before I get mine. Enjoy!!!

FB&H rider

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just want to offer my support for Growler Performance Bikes. Last weekend, I held a fat bike group ride/demo in Genesee County, NY. Willo agreed to demo some of his fat bikes. Although it was very cold (about 10 degrees, with a biting wind chill), we had nearly 50 people show up, and Willo braved the elements and stood outside the pavilion while people demo'd his bikes. After speaking with a few of the riders, they all commented that the Growler bikes were very lightweight, handled quite well in the snow, and offered enough gearing to climb even the toughest hills in the park. If I was in the market for a new fat bike, Growler would be on the top of my list. Thanks Wheels!

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-growler-3.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-growler-2.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-growler-1.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-growler-4.jpg
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. ~Christopher Morley

FB&H rider
    Hey Bodie!
    We're you guys riding the stock tires, or were there upgrades on the bikes? I've been on babegazi 4.7s this winter, and while they're not considered the best, they handle the snow pretty well. I'm wondering if the stock nimbles handle the snow OK as well, or if you feel the need for an upgrade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Most people were riding with the stock tires on the demo bikes. Keep in mind, the snow was only 4" deep. Personally, I'd save the Nimbles for the summer months and go with a more aggressive tire with better float for the winter. You can't go wrong with Bud/Lou or Bud/Nate.
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. ~Christopher Morley

FB&H rider
    Sounds good; am working on a build with Willo and was thinking of putting on bigger tires but it will be after winter season when I get the bike. I guess I might just try the stock tires for the spring summer fall, and then look into getting some bigger ones next season.

Also, need to see more pictures from grimace

mtbr member
    Also, need to see more pictures from grimace
    So, I just don't have any really cool spots to take any pictures yet. I'll take some in the desert when I go riding on Sunday. In the meantime, here's another really terrible video ferya...

FB&H rider
    Some OUTSTANDING 360 on the bike!
    That headtube work..... mmmm. Love the welds. Just outstanding.

Really amazing. Folks looking at bikes - obviously the most important things are fit (e.g., stack and reach: Fat Bike Stack and Reach ? rideFATbikes.ca), and components.
    There are a bunch of really nice bikes out there in the range of the Growler MBS like RSD Mayor, the BD bikes, Framed, and so on... you can definitely find the right bike for you.

Personally I'm glad I've been lurking as long as I have since i learn a lot from the posts in this forum about things like brakes and (cold) temps, q-factors, chainstay length and so on. I went back and looked at the specs on the Growler after reading the article above, and was pretty happy with what I saw for me, but it's nice to think about what different bikes have to offer.
    Right now just on value alone the Growler is really tough to beat. The component list at the price point is outstanding, and for a direct customer model obviously Growler is amazing. Willo definitely is doing a great job, and with the customization available like we've seen on these pages, it's just amazing. Sure, you can go into a local shop or find someone to add custom paint, but again at this price point it's hard to find something so unique and 'you' unless you can afford a full custom build. Good price + customization + good customer service = win.
    My only little bit of sadness is that with the current model Growler can't help but get bigger. Willo will definitely do his best, but he'll have to work on bringing other great teammates in to keep it up because otherwise he'll get too big for this model. (we've even discussed this in pm).
    Keep it up Willo!
    Hope you can find good guys (maybe a few vets) to help you grow and still be Growler!

mtbr member
    I gotta say, I can't get over this bike. The amateur videos that I shot, just don't do this bike justice. I've just been out in my garage going over every inch of the bike. From the caliper mount on the rear triangle to the welds on the cut-outs for the internal cable-routing, I am excessively impressed with the quality of this frame. Without a doubt a superior quality piece of work.

Couple the frame with the top-notch components, custom paint, personalized touches ... there's no way you can touch this bike at the price-point.

I had this little let-down moment on Wednesday ...the day I was supposed to get the bike. Some buyer's remorse crept in while I had to wait the additional day for the bike. Wow...is that so gone, in a big, big way. I really can't wait to hit the trails ...and good luck keepin' me off 'em!

mtbr member

First "real ride" ...

Well, I got Phatallica out for her first real test today and had a really awesome time. The Growler MBS performed flawlessly and I'm really loving the GX drivetrain.

My buddy has a 29'er (x2.1") and there were definitely some soft spots where his pizza-cutters had nuthin' on the sweet-rolling PanaRacers.

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-img_20170115_094848826_hdr%5B1%5D.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-img_20170115_094903211%5B1%5D.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-img_20170115_100540246%5B1%5D.jpgGrowler Performance Fat Bikes-img_20170115_101033228%5B1%5D.jpg
    Growler Performance Fat Bikes-img_20170115_100529795%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Took a video of a downhill section too. It was really bumpy ...I used YouTube's image stabilization to clean it up a bit. Guess it's time to move the action cam to my helmet. On the bars ...not so good.

Pastafarian
    Have a Mr. Bigstuff on order. I'll be doing a full YouTube review of the bike and purchase experience once I get it. My first ride on it may just end up being a race on a groomed ski resort course.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Steel City Dual Sport - Motos and bikes

FB&H rider
    Congrats Tavis!
    Make sure to give us the link - I'll check it out. Good luck on the race!

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Test rode the Mr. Big Stuff recently and loved it, got my wheels turning and can't wait to get my own.

Growler Performance Fat Bikes-15965416_10154828882570502_2177388611192316202_n.jpg

Actually, getting my own hopefully by the end of the week.

Pastafarian
    Got my Growler fatty yesterday. It'll be a little while before I get my video done, but here are a few pics from setting it up last night.

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    That looks sick. Can't wait for in action coverage. Enjoy my friend.

FB&H rider
    NICE Tavis! Looks straight solid.

Willo and I are finally working on my build. The initial color sample looks SICK!

Showed them to my wife today, she likes the color a lot.
    Says, 'how are we going to pay for this?"
    I say, "with my commissioning bonus"
    She looks worried..... (thinking of finishing off some debt/bills, shipping the truck overseas... etc) "can we do that?"
    "YESSSSS... (/sly look) besides, you know what I'm getting with next years' bonus right?"
    (she looks at me. I look at her left ring finger. She looks at me. Tears in her eyes)
    "OK"

(It will be our 20-year anniversary in just over a year)

WINNING!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Pepper's idea of diplomacy??
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

FB&H rider
    Whatever works!

Pastafarian
    You got off easy...I think I am remodeling the kitchen :/.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast