Thread: Groove 200

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Groove 200

Guys,

I can't find a lot of techo stuff on the WB Groove 200's. I'm try-ing to find out if the 29'er set is simply a 26'er set with a spacer in them or a completely different animal.

Anyone know?

Cheers,
    Al.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm View Post
    Guys,

I can't find a lot of techo stuff on the WB Groove 200's. I'm try-ing to find out if the 29'er set is simply a 26'er set with a spacer in them or a completely different animal.

Anyone know?

Cheers,
    Al.
    You don't need to internally limit the travel to use a 29" or fat wheel/tire combo.

In other words, they work with big/tall wheels right out of the box--no mods necessary.

Probably the most maintenance free damper on the market today, too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    so will this fork work with a fat tire?

mtbr member
    Just checked the owners manual. No more info there either. Looks like it needs disassembly every 30-40 hours for servicing, so I'm not a suitable prospect for ownership - my idea of maintenance is oiling the chain whenever I can't remember when I last did it...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    just did a little reading and it says you can't have a neck over 5 1/2" so i'm out

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Well guys, that's 3 against and 1, sorry Boys, but Mikesee and I are gonna wind up at the front of the pack....... I just bought 2 new Groove 200 forks

I'll report in when they're fitted. TBH, the purchase may be a bit premature as 1 set is for the Longtail I'm building and it's still in pieces at the LBS waiting to get bits brazed on!!!

Al

mtbr member
    Well guys, that's 3 against and 1, sorry Boys, but Mikesee and I are gonna wind up at the front of the pack....... I just bought 2 new Groove 200 forks...
    I love it when someone else does the testing on the expensive bits.

Let us know the clearances when you get them. There's not much choice in bouncy fat forks at the moment.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

This place needs an enema
    My maintenance "schedule" for suspension products is to ride them til they begin to fail (that can manifest itself in many different ways) then take appropriate action.

I rode my Groove 200 for two seasons of (mostly) lift-served DH and never did a single thing to it. My main DH riding partner is on his third season and he does less "maintenance" than I do.

There may be a more maintenance free fork on the market, but I've never heard of it. Just a bonus that these can be modded to get anywhere from ~140 to 200mm of travel, as well as fit fatties on reasonable rims.

WB also had a crown/axle set that would allow a 120mm spaced hub to be used with the Groove 180/200--thus giving an extra 10mm of clearance 'tween the pipes. I had two of these, but have since sold them off. I'm sure a call to WB could get you a line on another...

MC

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

WB also had a crown/axle set that would allow a 120mm spaced hub to be used with the Groove 180/200--thus giving an extra 10mm of clearance 'tween the pipes. I had two of these, but have since sold them off. I'm sure a call to WB could get you a line on another...

MC
    We might have some 120mm spaced crowns. If anyone is interested, call us.

Edit: We have three sets. There is 4.5" of room between the legs with this setup. Your choice of a Groove 200 or a Groove 180 (180 can easily be spaced down in travel if desired).
    Last edited by NoahColorado; 03-19-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    We might have some 120mm spaced crowns. If anyone is interested, call us.

Edit: We have three sets. There is 4.5" of room between the legs with this setup. Your choice of a Groove 200 or a Groove 180 (180 can easily be spaced down in travel if desired).
    Are you going to make any more of the wider crowns in the future?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Guys, Sounds like we've all been trained at the same maintenance school......

Re the wider crown; would have been nice but I have mine now. (well, they're on the way)

Velo, I'll let you know how it works out, via a thread on here.

Al

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I email'd them the other day, they said w/ a 65mm rim & reg. fat bike tire (Endo, Larry, etc.) there was approx. 5mm left to split for clearance. They didn't tell me about the wider crowns so I'm assuming that's w/ the standard issue. 2.5mm between the tube & tire is not enough for me. Especially for the investment. Unless they're going to make the wider crowns available to the public, a used Mav or MCS's Lefty set-up look like the best choices for now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sounds like the wider crowns are available to the public- see post #9.

There's also the Risse Trixxxy:

Risse Racing - Downhill Mountain Bike Forks

I have no experience with them, but they are similar, dimension-wise, to the Groove.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Are you going to make any more of the wider crowns in the future?
    Well if I were a betting man I'd guess we've had these three sets of crowns for quite awhile, so until we don't have any left - I don't think we'll be making more.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    Sounds like the wider crowns are available to the public- see post #9.

There's also the Risse Trixxxy:

Risse Racing - Downhill Mountain Bike Forks

I have no experience with them, but they are similar, dimension-wise, to the Groove.
    Only 3 sets though (of the wider crowns). I was wondering if they planned on producing them as a regular option. Sounds like they had a few made up for a special purpose and have a few left over. They certainly didn't mention them in they're email.

The German Answer "Wide Flame" may very well make it to this side of the pond someday as well. The model used on the Sandman is a wider-than-stock Flame too, if I'm understanding what I've read right... and currently only available on the Sandman. It's an interesting fork. I thought I read somewhere that the version for fat bikes was symmetrical- air & oil in both sides... kind of cool- if one side failed, the other side might get you home. Might help flex wise compared to the Mav too.

Just hoping some susp. co. gets something going that fit's the fat stuff. I'd like to see a traditional (non-inverted) fork for 135mm spacing w/ reg. drop outs (would have to have a big 'ol brace too)... might be useful w/ 29ers too. Would also have more clearance at the DT than inverted and lighter than the double crown ops.

Edit: Oops, missed your answer there N. Colorado G.C. Thanks for the reply. Looks like the Groove might be more fork than needed for allot of fat bike uses anyhow.

-Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey NoahColarado, Did you get my PM?
    Al.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The German Answer "Wide Flame" may very well make it to this side of the pond someday as well. The model used on the Sandman is a wider-than-stock Flame too, if I'm understanding what I've read right... and currently only available on the Sandman. It's an interesting fork. I thought I read somewhere that the version for fat bikes was symmetrical- air & oil in both sides... kind of cool- if one side failed, the other side might get you home. Might help flex wise compared to the Mav too.
    Sandman might sell you one, if you inquire- I'm not sure if they're keeping all of the available forks for their complete builds or if they will sell them separately. You are correct that they are a special wider-than-stock model. As I recall they do use a low-pressure air spring in each leg.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Only 3 sets though (of the wider crowns). I was wondering if they planned on producing them as a regular option. Sounds like they had a few made up for a special purpose and have a few left over. They certainly didn't mention them in they're email.
    We produced 120mm spaced forks when that seemed like the direction the DH market was going, only later did we change the spacing to 110mm. So the crowns we have left over were from the DH 2.0/3.0 days, before we called that line of the forks the "Groove". We have a 10mm spacer you can install on the axle for 110mm hubs in this application, you have to dish your wheel accordingly.

We weren't trying to deceive anyone, not are these "special" parts, they're simply leftover, NOS.

Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    We run a Groove 200 on a Sandman Outback tandem. It's downtuned to something like 130 mm travel. Works like a charm, zilch problems paired to a 70mm rim and 3.8 tire. A 4.8 BFL on the same rim fits "just".
    But I'd never put it on a solo bike not meant for downhill... it's huge and a heavy bugger...

not FAT free
    here is what can be done :
    2002 Turner RFX
    7 " travel front & rear
    80mm rims
    50 lbs
    my best bike ever
    it's not finished yet, some cosmetics needs to be done and paint ... black paint !
    bike was built April 2011 and i rode it 85 % of my mtb time and I just couldn't decide when to take it apart and finish project, i like this ride a lot !
    i know i'm going to hear ... who need 7" travel and 50 lbs !!! ...but its hard to believe how well it handles all obstacles, log overs, and rock gardens and JUMPS until You try it
    BTW it's 3 X 9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Groove 200-turner-rfx-big-foot-091.jpg  

Groove 200-turner-rfx-big-foot-113.jpg  

Groove 200-2011-las-0080.jpg  

Groove 200-2012-mtb-0055.jpg  

Groove 200-2012-mtb-0064.jpg  

Groove 200-2012-mtb-0114.jpg  

Groove 200-2012-mtb-0093.jpg  

Groove 200-2012-mtb-0091.jpg  

Groove 200-2012-mtb-0135.jpg  

Groove 200-2012-mtb-0129.jpg  

Last edited by RFX big foot; 03-23-2012 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    That's some next level stuff right there, fat DH!

I got to get moving on this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

More info required....

Guys,

Anyone know if the Groove 200 steerer tube is a press fit or threaded fit?

And I can't seem to get into the parts section on the WB site to purchase some hubs for it.
    Can someone else have a peek to see if they can get in? TIA

Al

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Guys,

Anyone know if the Groove 200 steerer tube is a press fit or threaded fit?

And I can't seem to get into the parts section on the WB site to purchase some hubs for it.
    Can someone else have a peek to see if they can get in? TIA

Al
    It's a press fit in the lower T and a clamp fit in the upper T

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    caminoloco,

Thanks Mate.

Al