mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Grip Studs, what tires are ya runnin ?

I got my Grip studs in (Thanks Drew!) but have found the Devist8er's knobbies to be too shallow withut building up an inner layer on the inside of the tire. So, those that have done this, what tires are ya doin it to ? I am runnin Marge Lites, so "Bud or Lou" probably wont really help me out as an answer..... but probably inspire some minor jealousy...

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    You try em out on the outer knobs yet? It is a pretty square looking tire, and they *just* fit in those knobs. I haven't finished my pair yet.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i went with nates but im in Anchorage,Alaska im in the process of filling the center with more studs it 36 and raining the last couple of days. i bought 300 and only used 80 for the front and 80 for the rear both on the outers only there totally awsome, oh there on 27 tpi tires. i can hear myself a mile away

mtbr member
    Nates are perfect knobbie height for it id say!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Anyone stud the 120tpi Nates? They are what I have in the pipeline, but I'm curious if they take as well as the 27tpi versions.

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    Anyone stud the 120tpi Nates? They are what I have in the pipeline, but I'm curious if they take as well as the 27tpi versions.
    The 120's will work just fine with the grip studs. I have 125 in my front Larry and 86 in my rear Nate and they worked great for the bike race I did on Sat. Grips studs will work in Escalators, Dillingers as replacement studs, Bud, Lou, Nate, Larry and also the BFL. All of these tires have deep enough tread to take on the grip stud. The origin 8 tire will only take the studs on the outside edges, not in the center tread.
    RICOH for LIFE

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Has anyone tried studding a Knard yet ?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Portly Throckmorton View Post
    Having taken a cursory glance at but one of those tires so far up close, my gut reaction is that the knobs were too shallow.

Looks like a fast summer tire though.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by Portly Throckmorton View Post
    There is not enough meat in the tread to take a grip stud for the Knard to work.
    RICOH for LIFE