Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    will rant for food
    Jan 2010

Grip Studs group buy part II, winter 2012/2013

A year ago I asked Grip Studs if they do volume discount. yxan handled things like a boss. I emailed Grip Studs just now, and I don't expect them to answer because it's Friday night before Christmas next week, but assuming they are, who's in? We need an order of 1,000+, at which point price goes down 25%.

Grip Studs - Bicycle

So far people have put them in BFLs and Nates to good effect. The motivation for doing this is that tungsten carbide studs are - no offense, Grip Studs - absurdly expensive.

45NRTH Dillingers have arrived, but are in short supply. Additionally, if you want a 4.7" tire to be studded, this is one way.

I am interested because my studded Larry tires are *much* slower than I remembered, each stud sticking out more than necessary, and totally explains falling off the back of a group ride one time where I ended up on dry pavement at low pressure... oh my good god I thought I was in such terrible shape, and you know maybe I was, but that was just embarrassing. Worst bonk ever.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Pretty nice profit at a $1 a stud considering the wholesale price is 3.5 cents each:
    Tungsten carbide srew in studs for Auto,Truck,Forklift,Off-Road Vehicle,View tungsten carbide srew in studs,JinXin Product Details from Zhuzhou Jinxin Cemented Carbide Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

Though you do have to buy 5 million at a time, anyone willing to front a quarter million dollars + shipping, LOL.

Seriously, a 25% discount on the Grip Studs would still be a bit beyond my price range for the number I'd want to order.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gecho View Post
    Pretty nice profit at a $1 a stud considering the wholesale price is 3.5 cents each:
    Tungsten carbide srew in studs for Auto,Truck,Forklift,Off-Road Vehicle,View tungsten carbide srew in studs,JinXin Product Details from Zhuzhou Jinxin Cemented Carbide Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

Though you do have to buy 5 million at a time, anyone willing to front a quarter million dollars + shipping, LOL.

Seriously, a 25% discount on the Grip Studs would still be a bit beyond my price range for the number I'd want to order.
    Dude I love browsing Alibiba. More often than not, there's some condition that makes me NOPE the hell on out, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I found another supplier on Alibaba that has a 10kg minimum order. If they are indeed an identical product, given the reported weight of 65g per 100, that would be about 15000 studs. It would be a big cash outlay but the unit price before shipping and duty is around 6.6 cents each. Its intrigued me enough to request some further info, since the page is for a variety of different stud products.

cemented carbide threaded winter tire studs,View threaded ball stud,JinXin Product Details from Zhuzhou Jinxin Cemented Carbide Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

mtbr member
    I'm in for at least 100 plus the tool.
    Where am I? Again.

mtbr member
    I might be down for another 100 plus a tool. I love them! Just installed around 160 in a Nate Light last night. I haven't tried the 45north studded tire yet but was dissapointed when I saw it in person. The studs are tiny and barely protrude. I would love to do a side by side comparision with a Grip Stud tire. I can't imagine that they would work as well.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I like that Alibiba option. 15000 studs is basically 60 tires worth with some extras for replacements. I know at least 30 people locally who would want to stud out two tires each.

I'm running Dillingers now. The studs are tiny but do the trick. The tires tread is very open though and clears snow well, so it hooks up great in variable conditions. basically a great all around tire with some light studs

Sissys slip, studs grip!
    Hey guys,

Thanks for your interest in our fat bike studs again this season! Drew, I don't believe we've received an email from you, but it's probably because we had a big snow storm last Friday and power to our server was down for most of the day. Please hit us up again at info[at]gripstuds[dot]com and we'd be happy to provide whatever info you need!

Happy New Year!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I studded up a set of 27TPI Knards with 172 studs per tire - they are awesome. The studs are not going to pop out at all - and they protrude 3 or 4 times as far as the Dillenger studs. I couldn't be happier with this set up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah, I'd probably be interested in this. at least 100, probably 200, plus the tool.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    VanSyncro - 100
    lancelot - possibly 100
    zombinate - 100 to 200
    me - 200

That's 400 to 600 as it stands.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'll go in for 400 plus the installation tool.

I haven't heard back from the lower volume supplier on Alibaba. I have doubts what he's selling is the same thing as the specs listed match a different style product.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    That makes a 1,000 if everyone puts in their maximum - I'll sit on this a couple days, see if anyone else wants in.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gecho View Post
    I haven't heard back from the lower volume supplier on Alibaba. I have doubts what he's selling is the same thing as the specs listed match a different style product.
    Haha, yep.

Cost : customer service ratio is pretty linear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm interested in 100-200

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

I'm in......

I'm in, You can put me down for 200 + the install tool....

mtbr member
    I'm in for 300 plus 2 insertion tools.

If someone wants to give a try at the super-cheap ones (approx 10cents per) I'd be in for 2000 of those.

Thanks!

Drew, check out my MORC post #6 for how to stud a Larry. studding Larry or endorph?. I'm considering a hybrid technique for the Nate, with store-bought carbides near the center (not the very center, but rather the more meaty knob pairs on the next row), and then bigger homebrews on the sides. That will: 1) give good wear on pavement and gravel when the side studs are not touching. 2) put some serious metal into the ice when turning. 3) be cheaper than carbides everywhere.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Ok,

lancelot - zero or 100?
    zombinate - 100 or 200?
    hummbusa - 100 or 200? Do you need the install tool?

I was basically waiting for B.S. to respond, which he did. Last call!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Lets go 200 plus the tool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How much are they going to be per piece? Yes I want a couple of the install tools too.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    yxan, do you have any insight on what the per-piece total was for your group buy last year?

mtbr member
    I'll take 200 plus a tool.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Updating the list, formatted as...

N studs - N install tools - user name:

100 - 1 - VanSyncro
    ??? - ? - lancelot ... need to hear back from you buddy, yay or nay?
    400 - 1 - gecho
    200 - 1 - zombinate
    300 - 2 - B.S.
    200 - 1 - Portly Throckmorton
    ??? - ? - hummbusa ... 100 or 200, and how many tools?
    200 - 1 - thechad66
    200 - 1 - Drew Diller

Please let me know if I got anything wrong for you.

Nuts
    Any idea on price each yet?
    And I love beer!!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I did some estimating assuming Grip Studs is willing to do 25% off above 1,000 studs, and for an example case of 200 studs with one install tool, it was roughly 81 cents per stud after tax and ship.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast