Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Grip Studs in Bud and Lou

I have been on the fence about studs in my bike tires for a long time. They are an expensive experiment that I was not sure I needed or even wanted until I crashed hard the other night. The 45nrth Dillinger is another option but is expensive, sold out and not moonlander wide. The Dillinger has 240 studs per tire.

The grip studs are an obscene $1 per stud. I only purchased 100 studs and wondered if I was a complete fool. The studs weighed 65 grams per 100 count and have a carbide core. If they stay in the tire should wear before they do.

I put 60 studs in the front tire and 40 studs in the rear. They seem to need a lot of tread depth and am not sure I would feel comfortable putting them in my somewhat worn husker du's or old endomorphs. New Bud and Lou's had plenty of rubber.

The studs go in very quickly and are not frustrating to deal with at all with the exception of being afraid I would drop and lose the expensive little guys.

I test rode them last night at 17F, front tire at 7lbs, rear tire at 8lbs of air pressure. I am about 250lbs. I rode flat smooth ice, overflow like uneven ice, dirt, gravel, asphalt, concrete, rock garden, grass and snow. They worked great and did much more to prevent slipping than I expected. I will not be ice racing on them but will also not hesitate to ride any ice. I found myself eagerly looking for ice to ride. I can hear them tapping on the bare pavement. None came out or loosened during my first test of varied surfaces.

Bud and Lou just became a little more studly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grip Studs in Bud and Lou-grip-2.jpg  

Grip Studs in Bud and Lou-grip-3.jpg  

Grip Studs in Bud and Lou-grip-5.jpg  

Grip Studs in Bud and Lou-grip-6.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Nicely done, do you install them buy hand or use a drill with the tool?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phat-mike View Post
    Nicely done, do you install them buy hand or use a drill with the tool?
    I used the "4000" tool. It is a hand screw driver with the tip in the pic to fit the studs. I think a power tool would be more work and give less control. They go in with just a few twists. I bet I could put in a new set of 100 in a half hour to an hour and pull them all out in 10 minutes. Super easy by hand.

mtbr member
    Love grip studs and those are perfect tires to add some studs too

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If the studs were 1/2 that price I'd grab 400 in an instant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gecho View Post
    If the studs were 1/2 that price I'd grab 400 in an instant.
    we did a group buy with them last year here on the forum, You might want to try and see the interest levels on doing another. They are really cool to work with.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yxan View Post
    we did a group buy with them last year here on the forum, You might want to try and see the interest levels on doing another. They are really cool to work with.
    I'm in this year. If someone wants to get that going - indeed, start a new thread. I felt like a tool because I contacted them about the possibility of such an arrangement and then never got involved in the buy because it didn't snow...
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by yxan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I'm in this year. If someone wants to get that going - indeed, start a new thread. I felt like a tool because I contacted them about the possibility of such an arrangement and then never got involved in the buy because it didn't snow...
    How much did the price come down?

Even at 50% off, the husker Du's at 240 studs per tire would be $120 per tire? I think I'd just opt for the Dillinger....

I can do 240 4-40 x 1/4" set screws for $25 per tire at 40 grams. May not be asphalt friendly, but.....$?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EPcycles View Post
    How much did the price come down?

Even at 50% off, the husker Du's at 240 studs per tire would be $120 per tire? I think I'd just opt for the Dillinger....

I can do 240 4-40 x 1/4" set screws for $25 per tire at 40 grams. May not be asphalt friendly, but.....$?
    25% off.

Totally understand if you don't already have tires you're looking at to stud.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    25% off.

Totally understand if you don't already have tires you're looking at to stud.
    Cripes, I wish they weren't so expensive. This is supposed to be an economy option.

mtbr member
    Depending on conditions where you ride you'll want to install a lot more studs. I think Yxan and myself are running around 100-150 per tire and I still want more at times.
    The LPG

oh crap...
    I'm planning on putting these in my Bud and Lou as well...ordered 200 off the group buy. Anyone have any thoughts or concerns about running them tubeless with these? They don't get anywhere close to going through, do they? Thought I'd just try running them about once a year when conditions are perfect around here - which could only be a couple weeks each winter.

I have Nokian Extreme 294's for my 29er which are perfect for glare ice, but I'd like to explore some creeks and cross some small lakes with my Moonlander!

Thanks!
    Grow some food for yourself.

mtbr member
    You should be fine with a Bud and Lou. Last season I used them on a BFL and a Nate. The Nate was simple and never had any penetrate through the casing. The BFL was another story. The knobs are so shallow that I must have screwed about 30 through the casing. They were constantly making holes in my tubes. I tried to back them out but they seemed to keep screwing back in somehow. Eventually I lined the tire with Gorilla tape just to prevent flats. If Grip Studding a shallow knob tire be really careful. If studding a Nate, Bud and Lou you shouldn't need to worry so much.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Longer term review of my grip stud experiment. 60 front 40 rear continues to work great. I am not bombing any luge runs but also don't hesitate to hit ice while going fast . I think the grip studs may sit up a bit more than the 45nrth ones allowing fewer to do a competent job. Not to say it is as good as the 240 in a Dillinger of course but I have no desire to add more. The only limitation I have found was when I had to drop my pressure to 5lb front 7lb rear on some choppy glare ice. As someone else also noted the studs work much better with a little higher air pressure.

oh crap...
    Good to hear, Jardbe. I've got 200 to put in my Bud and Lou when I get back home tomorrow. We have conditions on most of the trail I've been riding that I think will warrant the studs and put a smile on my face. Creeks, lakes, and ponds will be frozen again too, so I should be able to do some new exploration I've been thinking about. Will report back here when I get a ride in - will probably do 100/100 or 120/80 front/rear depending on how the pattern lays out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Do Husker Du's have enough tread depth to run these without penetrating the casing?

oh crap...

Success!

I'll put some pictures up soon..but this is what I ended up doing: I put 3 studs in each of my Lake boots and then evenly completed a symmetrical pattern with the rest of my 194 studs between Bud and Lou. I put them in by hand with 12psi in tires set up tubeless on Clownshoes. They went in easily, and it took me about three sessions to finish it after the baby went to sleep.

Went out today on the Des Moines river, up creeks that run into it, and on the lake at Lacey-Keosauqua State Park. I've got lots of experience on Nokian Extreme 294's on my 29er - and even with less studs, I think these stick better. They make exploring frozen water ways so much fun - opening up so much more to explore. Sand, ice, tons of rocks - this makes for a very technical ride. Can't wait until tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I put grip studs in a 27 tpi Nate and a Bud. I found the Bud to be much more challenging due to the softer rubber. I have my doubts whether the studs could be removed and installed again on the Bud.

Nice traction on the icy packed snow today. When I tested it on a rink earlier in the week I found there are definitely limits to the front end traction in tight cornering.

I put 2 studs in each of my Lake boots which really helped when putting a foot down on ice. They got in the way of my shoe covers so I took them out. I might punch a few holes in the shoe covers and reinstall the studs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm participating in an ice race tomorrow so I did some more traction testing on a rink. Excellent front end traction at 4 psi. At 3 psi the tire starts to accordion under braking on firmer surfaces so I probably won't go much lower than 4.

I test rode the track today which isn't anywhere near as slick as a rink. I had enough grip from the studded Nate in the rear to easily get the front tire off the ground. It should be a fun afternoon, not fast, but fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I got my Lou ready for the winter, deciding to start with 76 studs. Last year I had 148 in a Nate which might have been overkill since I could do wheelies on an icy path.

Grip Studs in Bud and Lou-bimg_0920.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I found a thread for a Grip Studs group buy from last year but I can't find one for this year. Anyone has seen one?

Also, for the ones that studded their Buds and Lous last year, what happened when you took them off? Did the knobs held OK with those holes in them or did they deteriorate? One more question, were you able to use the same holes this year to re-stud the tire? If so, are the studs still gripping well to the tire?

Thanks!

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pssaenz View Post
    I found a thread for a Grip Studs group buy from last year but I can't find one for this year. Anyone has seen one?

Also, for the ones that studded their Buds and Lous last year, what happened when you took them off? Did the knobs held OK with those holes in them or did they deteriorate? One more question, were you able to use the same holes this year to re-stud the tire? If so, are the studs still gripping well to the tire?

Thanks!
    I recently studded my Bud and Lou. I have no intention of removing the studs. These will be my winter tires and I'll throw the Floaters back on for the rest of the year. I think it would be a major PITA to try and remove and re-install the studs.
    Grip Studs in Bud and Lou-img_20131128_113446_326.jpg
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member

Re: Grip Studs in Bud and Lou

Quote Originally Posted by pssaenz View Post

Thanks!
    Pssaenz the studs did no damage to the tire when I took them out last summer. If you look at my original pics you should be able to see that I put them in a slot in the stud so I didn't even make a totally new hole. They came out super fast and went back in great. I don't think I lost any studs last year. These studs stick up much higher and feel more sharp and aggressive than the pre studded tires I have felt. They work great and I have no want for more than my 60 front 40 rear setup.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    dvn and Jaredbe, thank you for your responses.

60 & 40 per tire seem very low when compared with the 402 studs in my Schwalbe Ice Spikers 29ers, and the 332 that I had in my Nokian Freddie Revenz. I guess the much bigger contact patch on the Bud & Lou helps with traction even in the ice.

I might start with 60 & 40 and another 100 later, if I feel I need to. These things are very expensive!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So how much did everyone save by buying in bulk in the group buy? I want some studs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast