Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    150 is not enough. I wish I would have ordered 300. The 150 gives you more confidence to ride on ice, but you can't lean over when turning on ice. more is better. load em up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks, i will have 250 in 2 days any pics with suggested pattern?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    Thanks, i will have 250 in 2 days any pics with suggested pattern?
    PM'd you

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    wadedro 2 bad we are not neighbors, i would pay u a Bud, thanks for the big help. I wont race but at 59 i try to play safe to play more decades

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er View Post
    Do the Grip Studs add much rolling resistance or affect handling on pavement?
    I don't notice a lot of added rolling resistance but boy are they are LOUD on the road. When I'm riding around town, people walking have turned around just to see where the noise is coming from.

As for handling on pavement I feel like tight fast cornering would be bad for the studs but I've avoided that scenario so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by wadedro View Post
    150 is not enough. I wish I would have ordered 300. The 150 gives you more confidence to ride on ice, but you can't lean over when turning on ice. more is better. load em up!
    I got 300 and put almost 200 in the Bud and about 80 in the Lou. The rest are spares or in my boots.

Seems to work great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Ok I'm so glad this thread is been going! Been studying the subject for a while and had few scary experiences at speed making me realized that I definitely need studs! haha.

Looking at all the patterns here and R&Deeing the optimum pattern I've come to this while I'm waiting for Purolator to drop my 200 Grip Studs & Manual tool...so stoked!

Grip Studs in Bud and Lou-img_1386.jpg

Grip Studs in Bud and Lou-img_1385.jpg

So the count is Bud (80 studs) & Lou (76 studs) so I still have 44studs left for tweaks or spare...

Oh! Packaged is here while I write this line! Let's do this!

to be continued...
    2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Good job! nice pics

Quote Originally Posted by dhbasher View Post
    Ok I'm so glad this thread is been going! Been studying the subject for a while and had few scary experiences at speed making me realized that I definitely need studs! haha.

Looking at all the patterns here and R&Deeing the optimum pattern I've come to this while I'm waiting for Purolator to drop my 200 Grip Studs & Manual tool...so stoked!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1386.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	1120212

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1385.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	1120213

So the count is Bud (80 studs) & Lou (76 studs) so I still have 44studs left for tweaks or spare...

Oh! Packaged is here while I write this line! Let's do this!

to be continued...
    Some put about 5 per boot. Please report on your experience with details, your weight, style(focus on speed?) i like my ground control but i bought Bud/Lou and 250 gripstuds + manual tool. I am a beginer (a few months) fat and mountain(hardtail) but 55 years of pedaling around. I was thinking of starting with 60/40 front/back and going to 120/80 if i feel the need but your pattern is totaly different. Thanks

mtbr member
    My Bud studded with number 3000B and number 1000 studs

Northern NJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi Kaleidopete, is there any reason why you have a lou in front instead of a bud? thanks

mtbr member
    I don't notice much difference in either and I have two bikes that use Bud & Lou so altogether I have two Buds & two Lou's and that is what I had laying around when my studs came in. I also mix my Snowshoe tire 2XL with a Dillinger 5 or a Bud.
    Guess I just ain't fussy, or ride too slow to notice a difference.
    Northern NJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Grip Studs in Bud and Lou

Got my Bud studded (80 studs).

Now for the Lou I was advised differently by the guy I've bought the studs from...studs to much on the outside are mostly useless.

So he suggest that pattern but that would put the count to around 140studs, don't have enough.

And I remember skidding the rear on off-camber icy climbs so I feel like I would still need few studs more on the outside but not in the "useless" zone for rear.

So my new pattern could be more like this...will stud the Lou this afternoon so still thinking for the best pattern... blue dot (80 studs) for traction and maybe the green dot (40 studs) for off-camber traction... around 120 studs total.

For a full report, we're having snow mixed with rain at 4deg right now and it's going to go back down to -15 tonight so I'll probably have the best testing ground in the coming days!

For the required speed at what I want the studs to help is using my Fatbike the same way I use my Enduro bike no matter the conditions! Coming from 15yrs of downhill bike...
    Dropper post, wide bar, bluto taking hits, standing and pedalling as fast as possible going down and climbing whatever comes my way!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
    2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Quote Originally Posted by kaleidopete View Post
    My Bud studded with number 3000B and number 1000 studs

Interesting pattern, something I could do with what I have left.

But the main idea I was told is that you can use studs anywhere except in the center knobs...

Last edited by dhbasher; 02-08-2017 at 02:10 PM.
    2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    I have about 80 gripstuds in a Bud, and had to move some from the smaller knobs after they started to wear out the sides of the knobs, especially the edge knobs. I like to play on the course granite rocks, and try to stay neutral on rocks, but I think glancing or sliding off sideways quickly wears out side knobs with studs in them. No problem with the big rectangle knobs, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbasher View Post
    Interesting pattern, something I could do with what I have left.

But the main idea I was told is that you can use studs anywhere except in the center knobs...

I just did the center row this week and I like it, especially riding glare Ice on the lakes. I only waisted about 38 studs by doing this if all goes bad
    Northern NJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

So my pattern for the Lou gives me more studs then expected but I feel their going to be needed specially on hard off-camber climbs...(118studs) it's actually more than my 80 studs in the Bud but we'll see. I could add perhaps 40 studs in the Bud but I'm having a hard time finding a symmetrical pattern...
    Much easier on the Lou.

Last edited by dhbasher; 02-12-2017 at 04:31 AM.
    2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

More studs! Update!

So, I had a chance to test my 80 (Bud)/118 (Lou) pattern.

I manage to get in 2nd & 3rd place on Strava riding my local fatbike trails!

The guy in front has a full carbon Trek with Lauf fork with a racing background...he has, at least, 5lbs lighter bike with 4" racing tires...

But I still had two scary understeer on front & one side skid going up a tight icy switchback so...

I've bought another 100 studs to get me a 120(Bud)/156 (Lou) setup.

It looks like this:

Bud has an arrow kind of pattern for a symmetrical cornering grip.

Grip Studs in Bud and Lou-img_1571.jpg

Lou, I just add the studs missing on my alternate mid-outside knobs pattern so I get the same grip left or right.

Grip Studs in Bud and Lou-img_1570.jpg
    Last edited by dhbasher; 03-01-2017 at 08:58 AM.
    2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

rth009
    May 2010
    For a rear tire, it seems to me you'd want a row of studs in the center. I havent done any studies or comparisons, but that's the way I set mine up, the thought being that usually when you need traction on the rear, you are pedaling and the tire is not leaned over and the studs in the center will grip. And even when the tire is leaned over, the center studs would remain in contact with the ice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    For a rear tire, it seems to me you'd want a row of studs in the center. I havent done any studies or comparisons, but that's the way I set mine up, the thought being that usually when you need traction on the rear, you are pedaling and the tire is not leaned over and the studs in the center will grip. And even when the tire is leaned over, the center studs would remain in contact with the ice.
    Yes, I was advice to use the small blocs in the mid center instead but I felt I was skidding climbing icy off camber section or tight switch backs.
    In those case, I have to lean the bike a bit and tend to loose traction if icy.
    Perhaps I'll have to had some in those blocs if I feel the need but for now I had absolutely no skidding climbing straight with what I have.
    The big paddle knobs are the key for traction on the Lou IMHO.
    2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123