Professional Crastinator

Great FATbike Ride Today!

Yes, I am using this forum as my own personal blog.

Weather went from 70F last weekend to 6" of new snow and 19F this morning. It was a beautiful, sunny day today so I had to get outside. I couldn't see doing this ride NOT on a fatbike.

Outside of some great riding, I got some nice rural views:
    Great FATbike Ride Today!-100_0391.jpg

One local waterfall and some nice views of the ravine:
    Great FATbike Ride Today!-100_0395.jpg

Great FATbike Ride Today!-100_0396.jpg

Great FATbike Ride Today!-100_0397.jpg

But then there was the riding! The snow made it all different, and for some reason I was positively floating over everything. The snow had already begun to thaw yesterday with the sun, so there were sheets of ice in all the traffic areas. I almost spun right off my bike... but I didn't. I ended up backwards on the trail, but still upright.

One section was flooded and had me riding in the moving water rather than challenge the sheet ice. Well, the flowing water became narrower and deeper to the point that I had to opt for the shallows and the sheet ice. The ice was breaking as I plowed ahead, and I weighted my front wheel to keep it from climbing on top. The water was deeper than the tops of my boots and my pedals were just lapping the surface so I really didn't want to stop. The ice finally became thick enough that I couldn't break it any more and my front tire rode up on it. Without tire studs I had no control and started sliding but I had made enough progress that I got to the shallows and found a high spot to put my foot down before the bike went out from under me. I regrouped and cleared maybe 10 yds. of ice to reach dry land without soaking my socks.

A few other spots had me following frozen footprints. It was weird because there is a rhythm to pedaling and maneuvering, but the rhythm of the frozen footprints under tire didn't match anything I was doing. It almost sounded like my bike was broken. It was quite distracting.

The best part of today was that I was clearing double logs that I often miss in the dry days of Summer. This one is almost the best one. The best one was more crooked and had crazy spacing, but I cleaned it even as my rear tire slid along the log.
    Notice on this one that the front tire goes out to the right, THEN I make the move over the log. There's very little momentum there. Lots of body English, and NO dabs. I was so proud I went back for this pic.
    Great FATbike Ride Today!-100_0399.jpg

This one is a mental challenge. It looks narrow, even though it's plenty wide enough for a fat tire and then some. But if you throw a bunch of snow on it, it looks even narrower! I aimed at the high side and rode it easily today, but I have trouble with it even without snow; probably because under the snow is just a pile of 4" rocks.
    Great FATbike Ride Today!-100_0398.jpg

So def. a great day on the bike. 3-1/2 hrs. of therapy!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Nice write up! Pics of the bike too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfisher11 View Post
    Nice write up! Pics of the bike too?
    No pics of bikes itt. only cool writeups of cool rides and fat tire tracks allowed.

Professional Crastinator
    I have a few pics of it.
    Great FATbike Ride Today!-100_0448.jpg
    This one is from late in the day once last year. It has a rigid Carver fork on it now. In that pic, the angle of the rear derailleur reminds me that the trail to get to this point is full of tricky logs, narrow edges along the lake, and wash-outs - mostly just for fishermen, not bikes.

The only downside on this recent ride is that to connect all the offroad required riding a lot of icy paths and some pavement. With Bud & Lou at maybe 5psi or less, I could feel them dragging. But when it came time to challenge a snowy climb, or cling to an off-camber descent they did the job and I was happy to have them!

-F

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Please stop.

This site is exclusively for the angst filled ramblings about which BSO to purchase, and who has the rock bottom price on it.

Nice shots, looks like a spectacular day to get out in the woods.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Great read, thanks for the follow up response with tire type and psi. I did miss the bar width though!

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    Great read, thanks for the follow up response with tire type and psi. I did miss the bar width though!
    0.00043496 mi.

-F