Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Stop being such a tool guy. Nobody is forcing you to buy a $4,000 bike. The first run on this bike was a complete abortion and clearly needed to go back to the drawing board for a complete change, but they instead threw an extra weld on there and come up with some BS calling it "Sniper treated". I know some of most talented welders in the country and they don't terms like that. To me sniper treated would be filling the piece of crap full of bullet holes like it needs. I don't have $4,000 for a bike myself, hell I even ride a Motobecane Boris but they at least stole its design from something else that was holding up. The Quigley is about the equivalent of a Santa Cruz and a Mongoose Dolomite creating a 2nd trimester miscarriage.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    This along with many statements proves you know absolutely nothing about the cycling industry. My only regret is I have but only one red chicklet to give.

There are a lot of people willing to buy $4000 bikes, my LBS hands down sells more $4000+ bikes than $400 bikes and would prefer to, as their margins are better. My 1st fatbike was a $1600 bike from a very popular fatbike manufacturer... In 9 months and 1200 miles of xc riding, I cracked the frame, bent the fork, bent the seat post, replaced the bars, stem, grips and seat, broke the rear brake and had numerous issues with the drivetrain. I have about $3600 in my current bike and so far, in 19 months of riding and 4000 miles, I've replaced a few chains, a rear sprocket and a set of brake pads. $4000 for a FS fattie? Sounds like a deal!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    To me sniper treated would be filling the piece of crap full of bullet holes like it needs. I don't have $4,000 for a bike myself, hell I even ride a Motobecane Boris but they at least stole its design from something else that was holding up. The Quigley is about the equivalent of a Santa Cruz and a Mongoose Dolomite creating a 2nd trimester miscarriage.
    BAhahahahhahahahha!!!!!!!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Soooo... from what you're all saying I should /totally/ buy a Quigley?

:-P

Professional Crastinator
    I have little interest in owning a FS fatbike, but I am interested in how products get developed and marketed.

This thread has prompted some thought outside of that topic:

A fallacy is an incorrect argument in logic and rhetoric which undermines an argument's logical validity or more generally an argument's logical soundness.

So thanks for that. I feel I've learned something today.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Hooligan
    That's it, I'm out. I'm not wasting any more time reading this thread.
    starting now.

wait... Now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

no batteries required
    Quality entertainment this is..

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I owned a BD Lurch, it was a decent bike for a decent price, I added some stuff, rode it all year, and for the most part it served it's purpose until I sold it to a buddy, where it continues to function and has yet to fail.

To replace the Lurch, I'm one of those guys who spent $4000 on a fat bike, actually closer to $6500 but who's counting

I ride the shite outta my Mutz, it is the best bike I have ever ridden. I believe this is the case because Brent Foes has been designing and building bike frames for decades, so he knows what works and he knows material strengths AND weaknesses.

If BD had chosen a successful design to copy, it is quite possible they could have made a killing; I might have bought one, but instead, they made a mess.

If you buy junk, you get junk. I'm not Sanford or his son, I want my bike to work, I want my bike to last, and I want my bike to ride well. Fortunately I have a good job and my children are mostly grown.

BTW, did you all realize that this thread has gotten a little of track?

mtbr member
    That's because there is nothing Quigley related to talk about, they all broke and now nobody wants one. This thread is dead until someone buys a sniper heat treated frame and breaks it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I have little interest in owning a FS fatbike, but I am interested in how products get developed and marketed.
    I don't believe you. You gotta try one if you get the chance, they are waaaay fun.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    This thread is dead until someone buys a sniper heat treated frame and breaks it.
    Anybody got one, and a .50 cal? 1000 yards with a scope, shot with a GoPro in HD slo mo, that could be a good way to put the final nail in this thread!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I owned a BD Lurch, it was a decent bike for a decent price, I added some stuff, rode it all year, and for the most part it served it's purpose until I sold it to a buddy, where it continues to function and has yet to fail.

To replace the Lurch, I'm one of those guys who spent $4000 on a fat bike, actually closer to $6500 but who's counting

I ride the shite outta my Mutz, it is the best bike I have ever ridden. I believe this is the case because Brent Foes has been designing and building bike frames for decades, so he knows what works and he knows material strengths AND weaknesses.

If BD had chosen a successful design to copy, it is quite possible they could have made a killing; I might have bought one, but instead, they made a mess.

If you buy junk, you get junk. I'm not Sanford or his son, I want my bike to work, I want my bike to last, and I want my bike to ride well. Fortunately I have a good job and my children are mostly grown.

BTW, did you all realize that this thread has gotten a little of track?
    In before it gets nuked.
    BD just collaborated with Rottefella NTN and made ski boot clipless pedals. Look for the CoLab B.DirectxRotty QuigleyNTN. I was also hoping for some good van pictures.
    ptarmigan hardcore

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I don't believe you. You gotta try one if you get the chance, they are waaaay fun.
    I was trying to appear as an objective observer. Oh well. Cover blown.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

bigger than you.
    thank you, Craig.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't know about these bikes, but I sincerely believe that everybody should take a statistics class at some point in their lives. Listening to those arguments makes my blood boil.

mtbr member
    Wow... what a train wreck this thread turned into.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Well after rereading all the posts from back where I posted about my personal experience with the Quigley. It just surprises me there are some that are very vocal but I assume have never thrown a leg over a Quigley nor would they actually buy a Quigley because of either brand or price.
    Now I fully understand this not being a bike for everyone! I personally haven't the test driven nor checked out any model of say, the Toyota Prius. I'm not in the market for one, they can't fill my needs as a vehicle that I would need at this time. Now if that were under 144" in overall length I could entertain the idea of having one to haul around inside our 5th wheel toy hauler. But since they don't, I see no reason to waste my time or someone else's time getting online to read even a single thread in any forum regarding said Prius and spewing my opinions about their vehicle! And telling anyone who will listen that they should of bought a 1 ton dually because it fit my needs better that this said Prius! Go figure, that makes no sense to me! This thread is polluted with some that have nothing but bad things to say about something they haven't had personal experience of. Its more than that, some wouldn't of owned a Quigley even if had become an amazing ride! Sad part is, I'm not questioning that they may be knowledgeable about fat tired bikes in general, but why continually beat this thread down because this bike might not be the best bike for them? A guy doesn't see many, if any, self acclaimed Cadillac owners going and beating down on Chevy owners that bought something that clearly fits their needs. I know I didn't!
    Maybe others could let this thread have similar courtesy, or maybe not!

All this being said. I now have 3 fat tire frames (2 full suspended) provided by BD from my original $1500 investment (+100 to fix my first Quigley) Each is a different color!
    Like it or not, Bikes-direct stood behind their product and treated me right! (Over whelmingly so! IMO) Not sure how anyone can dispute this! Therefore why all the negativism from those that aren't directly involved?
    Nope, I don't own a $4000+ fat tired suspension bike, but I DO own 2 full suspension fat tired bikes and almost complete hard tail fat tired bike for WELL under $4000! Hell a lot closer to $2500 than $4000 but I guess someone who may have nothing better to do will try to correct me on that statement too!

bigger than you.
    Quality > Quantity

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Quality > Quantity

Yep, and that directly depends on how they are being used.
    One wouldn't take a $250 1974 Ski-doo Elan and race the Iron Dog (look it up)
    I wouldn't let my 3 yr old granddaughter ride a $15k 2015 Pro RMK800!
    But the granddaughter will make a few rides on the Elan this winter.
    So, as with anything buy what is fit for YOUR purpose.
    I don't need top of the line full suspension fat tire bike, and I didn't buy one nor did I pay for one.
    Last edited by Back-to-Doo; 11-07-2015 at 04:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    your post with all characters besides the bang stripped
    This could be the most accurate post in the whole thread!
    🤗

But I've never heard of an exclamation point (or exclamation mark) referred to as a bang, so maybe it is not after all. I'm just not sure on this one.

:cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    from etymology - Why is the exclamation mark called a "bang"? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

also the sound a first run quigley frame makes at one point or another. Keep your insurance up to date BA/SD/BtD
    Haha! Looks like that does make your post accurate. (no bang needed here)

FWIW: I've not used any other username than this one on any forums since about 2009, so only this one on here. Not that I have to explain myself, but after two such post implying something different, I'm like WTH is wrong with these people?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-to-Doo View Post
    Haha! Looks like that does make your post accurate. (no bang needed here)

FWIW: I've not used any other username than this one on any forums since about 2009, so only this one on here. Not that I have to explain myself, but after two such post implying something different, I'm like WTH is wrong with these people?
    There was some guy on here who would make crazy posts on old threads to dredge them up until he got banned. He'd wait a couple months then make a new screen name and start again.

The fact that they thought you were him is something I can't help you with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ok cool. Thanks for the intel, but sorry to disappoint some.
    Maybe more Jr. detective work is needed on their part before jumping to conclusions.

It's not like I really dug up an old thread, I am one of the original members of this thread that bought a Quigley. But, I'm the only one of them that elected to keep my bike and wait for an updated replacement. Glad I did too, and maybe others would have liked to if they could have, not sure.
    Maybe I wrongfully assumed some may want to hear a follow up about getting a new frame. But if this thread is going to continue with some member's attitude towards lower cost bikes available and how much they are 'junk' I'll just collect my things and move on.

*Edited wasn't needed here*

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks man.
    Feel free to shoot me down when/if I ever say a factory Quigley would be better overall bike than other brand's F/S fat bike costing more than twice as much.
    I have no illusions that the Quigley could win any type of Shootout when comparing directly with most of the other full suspension fat tire bike out there. (I only say most here because I'll assume there are brands I've never heard of.)
    Finally, I don't understand the bashing on BD, because I'm pretty sure each of us got the option we chose regarding the Quigley failures. Yes, I assume none of us Quigley owners are happy that this has happened, most all the complaining has come from non owners jumping on the bandwagon and getting their kicks in. This thread is clearly about the Quigley, if there are those that are not generally interested in it why are those types even following this thread? Seem they just want to hover around like a gang and beat on the kid that's different or weaker!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    In before it gets nuked.
    BD just collaborated with Rottefella NTN and made ski boot clipless pedals. Look for the CoLab B.DirectxRotty QuigleyNTN. I was also hoping for some good van pictures.
    Seriously, if it weren't for all the time and money I spent on therapy, I might think this was an NTN flashback

Van pics? I'll try to remember

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Feel free to discuss your bike all you want! Really no one will care that you do.

It's the whole psuedo-smug, "we cheap bike owners got one over on the fancy bike owners" bit that makes you seem exactly like the folks in question. You don't see "fancy bike" owners starting threads about how much better their bikes are than cheaper ones, they just start a thread and chat about their bike.

Talk about your bike, feel free to share whatever. There's so many threads with BD bikes that fly below the radar for exactly this reason.

Start making it about how much more *whatever* you or your bike is, than fancier bikes, and folks will be sure to try to educate you.

Apologies for thinking you were someone you weren't, but the attitude is way to familiar to not think what I thunk.....
    Let's be real though, this happens in both directions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Finally, I don't understand the bashing on BD, because I'm pretty sure each of us got the option we chose regarding the Quigley failures. Yes, I assume none of us Quigley owners are happy that this has happened, most all the complaining has come from non owners jumping on the bandwagon and getting their kicks in.

Fixed it for you. If you feel the need to quote me please grab the complete thought so my quote doesn't get twisted into something that wasn't implied.

When the Quigley sunshine pumpers quit it with the "everyting is wonderful" posts the beatings will stop. Pretty sure they did until you dredged this back up.
    I assumed I was the only one that received the actual updated replacement frame not a pic clipped off the internet. Guess an opinion based solely on a pic that may or may not be accurate is the considered fact around here! TOO FUNNY.

mtbr member
    I love how BD changed the name from Quigley to "Sniper". The images and descriptions are the exact same though.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I hadn't seen that. Trying to get away from their awesome 1st attempt at FS Fat?

(i.e. Google search escape) Too funny.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Dodge Promaster, Turbo Diesel, FWD, 118" WB low roof (shortest), 65" inside height, 73" inside width, ~90" inside cargo length, ~52" inside cargo width between wheel wells, 5k tow, 4k cargo load, 1k roof load.

I'm averaging 25mpg mix of city and hwy. It comfortably cruises at 75mph.

I'm building a fold down dinette over the wheel wells, one bench on either side 48" wide, removable fold flat table between the benches.

Up front, on the driver side I'm installing a cabinet with a low voltage fridge, then I'm building in some "airplane styled" storage along the top edge of the side walls down both side. Also installing a diesel heater that draws from the main tank and vents out the bottom of the van; I might tap into the exhaust.

It's so much nicer than my Sprinter, handles better, rides better, looks better

Gravity Quigley: Full suspension fat bike-20150915_191411_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    subscribed
    Mikee Likes It!
    @gordosbicycleclub

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    if there are those that are not generally interested in it why are those types even following this thread? Seem they just want to hover around like a gang and beat on the kid that's different or weaker!
    INTERNET, in a nutshell - nailed it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Has anyone seen one of these with the beefed up swingarm? Any reports of cracking on the Sniper vas opposed to the Quigley?

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008

I assumed I was the only one that received the actual updated replacement frame not a pic clipped off the internet.
    Hey Back-to-Doo, will you please post a picture of the updated replacement frame? I wish BD would update the Sniper pic on their website.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

new sniper pics PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by dmars3571 View Post
    Hey Back-to-Doo, will you please post a picture of the updated replacement frame? I wish BD would update the Sniper pic on their website.

PLEASE backadoo, my sniper rides in a month and I would love to see if they actually did anything to solve the problem. alternatively if you can send a pic of the repair, or a detailed description that would be awesome so we can at least get that done. Thanks a bunch for all you have added. Did your more teeth rings take out the bob?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Any updates on this bike?

bigger than you.
    Don't worry, i'm sure they're still junk...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Don't worry, i'm sure they're still junk...
    Might be the case but curious how the "redesign" is working.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I am happy with mine: there is a small reinforcement plate added to the swingarm which is all the change that I could see. It still has a crappy high pivot design that will bob if you aren't completely smooth or if you stand on the pedals. Still I am very happy so far, its a huge improvement over my hardtail in terms of ride quality.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenPsz View Post
    Any updates on this bike?
    not on MTBR. new heat treatment QC and reinforced weld. I'd try it if I were looking for a full suspension fatty, but know that the bike frame might need replaced.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Was searching single pivot fatbikes and came across this. I know it's old news, but has anyone else tried using this design for a fat FS?
    The old Heckler and a number of copies had/ still have quite a following even given their limitations. In general the design seems to fare better with a 1x set up where the pivot is more in line with the top chainline. Avoids the mega stink- bobbbing of a granny gear. Also enables the rear triangle to be a bit bigger and presumably stiffer.
    Those that rode them seemed to enjoy the ride in the big ring. Surely the project could still have some life in it with a better located pivot (though that might create tire seatstay clearance issues), a beefier/ better triangulated swing arm, and set up as a 1x drivetrain.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234