Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    Well, my bullseye monster has stood up to 2000 fairly abusive miles and has been perfect.

As for suspended fatbikes, I made the mistake of riding a foes mutz yesterday. I never want to ride any of my bikes again.
    Oh noes. I've been eyeing that myself for a while too, it looks absolutely amazing. But the price!!! And glad to hear things have been sorted out by BD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmars3571 View Post
    I have not heard the news of a 2nd busted swingarm. Was the breakage similar to Dirtdawgs?

Sorry, I meant to say: 1st:, 2nd: as in a list, not in 2 busted swing arms.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    This is a real bummer. I've had a Quigley in my shopping cart for some time and have come oh-so-close to pulling the trigger.

I'm kind of glad I waited until this gets sorted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    Part of the problem with the response here is this is the first Quigley to get a review and it cracked. There are quite a few Bucksaws in the wild and only one failure that we are aware of. Now if the other Gravity bikes do not share the same fate then it is a fluke - right now the jury is still out on that one.
    True. I am a bit surprised as bd, nashbar, forte, etc frames tend to just be heavy and overbuilt. Lasting too long is usually the issue.
    It's also funny that this thread is currently 3 spots below the salsa mukluk fork recall thread.

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    And that was that. Unfortunately, this will be my last review on the Quigley. I loved it while it lasted and it was working so well until about the 50 mile mark. I don't know why, but I am so disappointed that it failed. Today was absolutely one of the most fun days I have had on a bike in a long time as I was just letting the Quigley eat everything up. I was grinning and laughing and whooping out loud. And now, I am just disgusted. Oh well, I will now be asking for the refund and possibly buying the Bucksaw. I just wonder if there is anything that could be done to the Quigs' swingarm. It is awfully peculiar that my crack is on the same weld as Dirtdawgs. I have been checking it after every ride and I am sure that if I had made one more ride, it would have broke exactly like his. This might sound stupid, but is there any chance that it could be rewelded?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Quigley: Full suspension fat bike-cracked-quigley.jpg  

Hooligan
    Just get them to send you a continiuous stream of swingarms.

Seriously though, I will be suprised if they are not all recalled. I was in the middle of trying to write an email sugesting that they let me keep the bike but now that I see its more than just a "Riley breaks sh!t all the time" problem, I think I'm going to discard it for a third time. It really is too bad, I had high hopes for this thing.
    Last edited by dirtdawg21892; 04-29-2015 at 07:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Man, that sucks! Sure is looking like a design flaw.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just curious, but what is BD saying specifically about this problem?

Are they blaming the welds, or are they actually admitting that it's a design problem?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Darn it, I just threw up a little in my mouth!
    My Quigley arrives tomorrow!

Did either of you guys bottom out your rear suspension? If so, how hard? Just trying to get an understanding of what I'm in for.

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    My rear suspension was set at 240psi (I think) or 20% sag. I never bottomed out and my ring indicator always showed I had a little more to give. I was actually thinking of putting a little lower psi to get all of the use out of the rear shock. No big drops and no big jumps, just aggressive XC type riding. Shinkers, I addressed the weld problem in my email to BD, I hope to hear back from them soon.

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    Oh, and unlike Dawg, I have never broken a frame until this one. I have a Gravity SS now retired, and a Gravity Bullseye Monster with around 1000 miles so I had some really big expectations for the Quigley.

mtbr member
    I guess this is what happens when a company like Bikes Direct does not have a proven design to copy.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-to-Doo View Post
    Darn it, I just threw up a little in my mouth!
    My Quigley arrives tomorrow!

Did either of you guys bottom out your rear suspension? If so, how hard? Just trying to get an understanding of what I'm in for.
    I used the full stroke on mine, never had any hard bottom outs or anything though
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    Something else I was thinking about, the Quig is spec'ed out extremely well for the dollar amount of the bike. I was just rough estimating buying a Bucksaw frame and building it out or buying it whole, but geez $4000 is whole lot of money right now. If I were to buy all the parts (ebay and online specials) that are on the Quigley, the costs exceeds the price of the bike! Its almost tempting to keep the bike and hope that a Chinese carbon full sus fat frame comes available soon or I convince the wife I need that Bucksaw frame. Humh, what to do?

mtbr member
    Get the foes mutz frame for $2500 and swap it over!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Bucksaw carbon frame $2699, alum frame $1899. I see you already inquired on the chinese fatty FS carbon frame. Anxious to see where that leads.

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    I got an email early this morning from BD offering me the full refund. No mention of the possible cause of failure, even with me mentioning the same breakage as Dirtdawgs and that I was afraid it was a possible welding error or design flaw. I also got an email from Peterxu stating the 19" mold for the full fatty carbon frame would not be available before July, so that could possibly be even longer and I would be another guinea pig for a new frame. So with that, I boxed up the Quigley and will put it on the UPS truck in the morning. Time to start saving for the Bucksaw and maybe I can have that before July. I already gave my Bullseye Monster to my wife, upgrading and fitting it to her liking, so I now I am fatbikeless for a while.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I guess I'll need to make sure not to discard the box!

Wonder how many they've actually sold so far.
    At this point we're at strike two. I think we have 2 of 2 that failed. (Just incase some aren't counting)

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    Get the foes mutz frame for $2500 and swap it over!
    Or there are Bucksaw frames that pop up for sale in the classified from time to time....there is one in there now.

mtbr member
    I know I'm saving my pennies for a Mutz....
    MacGyver is my spirit animal

-Until proven wrong, assume you are the weak link in any system-

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    Back-to-Doo, how's the Quigley working out for you? It's up to you to keep the ride reports coming now. A guy named Dean Magnusons made several videos on youtube of his Quig. https://youtu.be/8cYQ1S-XDdE I am still keeping my hopes up that BikesDirect will address the issue and make the bike better.

Hooligan
    I am still keeping my hopes up that BikesDirect will address the issue and make the bike better.
    That's what they told me they were planning when I last emailed them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    dmars, Thanks for the video link.

My Orange Quigley showed up last Friday, but I'm still out of town for work until late Wednesday. My first ride will be Thursday. Based on this thread I've ordered the Wolf tooth 42t and 30t chain ring to help eliminate bob. Also a RockShox kit to upgrade the Monarch R to the RL and a shim kit so I can tune the shock to my liking.

If I end up having similar issue as you guys I might look in on a swing arm exchange program if turn around is timely.

I do have a question for you guys, does the bike come with a pump(s) for the shocks and does it come with petals? (I have both already but I haven't seen anyone mention either)
    Last edited by Back-to-Doo; 05-05-2015 at 12:34 AM.

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    That's what they told me they were planning when I last emailed them.
    I noticed this morning that on BD's website, all Quigleys' are now listed as sold out. Yesterday, there were Orange 17's & 19's and Grape Soda 17's, 19's, & 21's. I think it is safe to assume they are correcting their issues. I also read the thread on Ratrod Bikes that Blown240 provided and that Quigley owner was told by BD: "I sent bikes direct an email and they said they are aware of the Quigley problem and their advice is to ride the bike hard and if it cracks they will repair, replace or refund me. They are having the factory check out their quality control and materials for flaws." It will be interesting to see what BD does with these bikes.

mtbr member
    awesome if they put them up on the bikeisland site as "busted frame" items. Buy a whole bike build kit for less than wholesale, then get an aftermarket frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    would be interesting to take a "broken frame" bike that has not been broken yet and get the swing arm re-heat treated to fix that weld area.

mtbr member
    ...Quigley owner was told by BD: "I sent bikes direct an email and they said they are aware of the Quigley problem and their advice is to ride the bike hard and if it cracks they will repair, replace or refund me. They are having the factory check out their quality control and materials for flaws."
    I wonder if they ran that one past their lawyers first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenPsz View Post
    would be interesting to take a "broken frame" bike that has not been broken yet and get the swing arm re-heat treated to fix that weld area.
    Are you sure that heat treatment is the only problem here? I'd weld on some gussets, and then heat treat- if the bike were worth the cost, risk, and trouble, and not returnable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    Are you sure that heat treatment is the only problem here? I'd weld on some gussets, and then heat treat- if the bike were worth the cost, risk, and trouble, and not returnable.
    That type of break is well known when roll cages fail, all because the welding process changes the structure of the metal around it because of the heat input. The weld is stronger than the base metal and the heat input changes the strength of the base metal around the weld.

You can get around these issues by the rod used and heat treating to "reset" the metal (base metal and weld) back to a good state.

now welding on gussets that adds another issues that if you did know the base metal etc... could be also dealt with.

I do wonder if the weld is back purged during the welding process.

mtbr member
    I just assumed that all aluminum bikes were heat treated after welding, but obviously they took some kind of shortcuts somewhere. That design just looks like a lot of leverage will be prying on those joints, whatever processes were used.
    I love fatbikes, but my back prefers full suspension. Anybody wanna trade a Walmart Beast, a Pugsley, and a Fatboy for their Foes Mutz or Bucksaw?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Fake bike company tries to make real bike, from scratch.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    dbl post

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Got a first ride in, initial impressions:
    Boxed up pretty good, box showed some damage but bike appeared fine in that area. Front brake disk was slightly bent. A few mins with a couple adjustable wrenches and it's barely noticeable. Bike was mostly pre-assembled the rest was minor. I only had to install these; seat post, petals, bars, front tire, F&R reflecters and air up tires. Then aligning and adjusting. I checked the pre-assembly bolts & screws and each was tight. Front and rear derailers and shifters were pre-adjusted very close. Set up form the factory was pretty close!
    Quality: At first appearance the paint and over finish look is nice. After setting bike up getting it ready to ride and taking a closer overall look. This thing looks AMAZING!

First quick ride: Adjusted the shocks to set sag and out I went. The bottom line; the Gravity Quigley is a very fun bike! Everything seems to work as designed. Spent a little bit of time adjusting rear shock on the trail. I'll go for another ride soon and update with a real ride impression.

mtbr member
    Let us know what you think! And please keep an eye on the rear triangle.

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    Keep those reports coming Back-to-doo. I really look forward to your reviews and hope the swingarm does better for you. I will say that Karla from BD has responded quickly to every one of my emails. She stated that BD is currently sold out of all Quigleys. I had asked if all the swingarms were produced in one run. She stated she was not sure what the answer for the swingarms is as of yet and that they are asking the factory for help and hope to have an answer/solution soon. After giving it some more thought, I really just don't want to pony up $4000 for a Bucksaw or Mutz. I asked if BD would be producing more Quigleys and Karla stated that they will be getting more, however, they have no idea of the ETA as of yet. They are working on a new design and then will have to be produced and shipped to the US from Asia So with that, I will be patiently waiting for the new Quigley to come out. What little bit of riding I got to do on the Quig has me really excited to try another redesigned version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    Let us know when you break the rear triangle.
    Fixed your post

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So after a 14 mile break down run the only noticeable thing I DON'T care for is the tires. I ordered a 26x4 Panaracer Fat B Nimble 120tpi.
    So this isn't a $4000 bike and doesn't need to be compared to one! I'm not sure but I want to name it Either BOB or Tank. It definitely has BOB and it is a little porky. Mine weighed in at the LBS at 39lbs. So first it's going on an anti-bob plan then off to an anti-tank plan.

I did break the chain while changing gears in a technical section while surprisingly enough the tires somehow had unexpected traction! Chain break tool and master link and I was back in business. Sad part was I had neither with me, it was a sweet 3 mile push! Haha!
    Last edited by Back-to-Doo; 05-07-2015 at 10:20 PM.

Hooligan
    how long does it usually take for BD to issue refunds?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    When I returned an FB4 for two bad forks in a row it took a few days after they received it, they said it has to be inspected first.

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    BD received my returned Quig on Tues May 5th and my refund was applied to my Paypal account on Thurs May 7th. I am leaving the money in that account for when BD produces the new and improved Quigley.

Hooligan
    I may use some of my refund to go get myself some guides. Those things are sweet. Now that I've had those my others feel inadequit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I may use some of my refund to go get myself some guides. Those things are sweet. Now that I've had those my others feel inadequit.
    I can support this. I can't tell the difference between the guide and the slx/ xt I've used. What more could I want?

Hooligan
    Well, the money magically reappeared in my PayPal account. I'm pretty disappointed that this one didn't work out, because it was a very fun bike for the short time it lasted.

Hooligan
    Attachment 988734
    Attachment 988735
    Gravity Quigley: Full suspension fat bike-uploadfromtaptalk1431755299416.jpg
    I really do miss it and can't wait for rev 2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Maybe you should buy an enduro bike because I don't think the Quigley was designed for such jumps?

mtbr member
    That's not much of a jump. If the Quigley can't handle stuff like that, it's a frame issue. Heck, 24" walmart bikes handle that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    That's not much of a jump. If the Quigley can't handle stuff like that, it's a frame issue. Heck, 24" walmart bikes handle that.
    ^LOL... seriously. I've done bench drops like that on my daughters pink Strider balance bike just for laughs while under the influence of a few IPA's at the last family BBQ with no injury to the bike or my grundle.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch R. View Post
    Maybe you should buy an enduro bike because I don't think the Quigley was designed for such jumps?
    You're right, Clearly it wasn't.
    Please direct me to the fat enduro bike for $1500 because yes, it's exactly what I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Well after 10 days and over 100 miles the Orange Quigley is still alive and doing well!

I do have to add a little air to the shock every other day to keep sag set where I like it. I'm getting used to the VEE 8 limits. Bob is tuned down some with a little more shock air pressure only slightly affecting ride quality. I've added a few things to make riding more enjoyable for me so I've added weight and riding weight is over 40lbs. But I'm no weight weenie! Right now I'm just riding to help to get more lean and more fit.
    On pavement the Quigley isn't as efficient as a l Mt. bike, on the trail even with the VEE 8's is more sure footed than a Mt. bike. Once pointed down hill ... The Quigley is all smiles and I'm reminded why I bought it! While its not as nimble as a lighter Mt bike it still builds confidence through most trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-to-Doo View Post
    Orange Quigley is still alive and doing well!
    So obviously the orange powder coat has more structural integrity...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast