Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    bigger than you.
    yep.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Harold again.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Ummm, didn't they have some breakage issues recently?

Just messing with you

No, I think you're good, it's pretty clear this was a fail.
    Haha---every manufacturer gets the occasional frame that breaks. That's when it's good CS for a company to step up and take care of the customer. I do agree that the Quigley Debacle is in recall territory. But I bet a recall is not done until someone gets hurt.

Loser
    An official recall is serious business that requires you register the problem with the Department of Consumer Protection (I think that's the department), then you have to do all kinds of paperwork and record keeping. I remember when Magicshine had their battery problem. I recall a post by the guy running the company kind of saying he wished he never made it official - ultimately that killed the company. I think the number of Quigley's out there probably numbers in the 100s at most, so it's probably not a huge recall.

I believe a recall also provides the manufacturer some protection as well - i.e. we officially declared it a recall therefore if you use it and get hurt, it's on you not us.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I don't understand why you guys are so excited about this......

If they are so fantastic, they should have designed the frame properly in the first place and tested it before selling to the public.
    I still think that they should let me test the prototypes to make sure they are structurally sound. if there's a weak spot, I'll find it. (as this thread demonstrates)
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    It seems like the injury potential is really high with the construction of these bikes. I do hope BD resolves this issues for those who've already purchased the bike as well as future production models.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So BD just quietly quit selling this bike and said nothing publicly about the breakages? How about man the fock up, address the issue publicly, build it better and keep people happy. Overall I'm happy with my X9 after having to replace hubs and such but their business model is still a joke. I remember sending them an email asking them if and when they would be doing a full suspension fat bike. 1st email was ignored, 2nd email was replied with "we have plans at this time for anything like that". One week later it hit their FB page and site. WTF, thanks for lying to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Wow. I have a BD MB fattie that is great, but the handling on this FS model is just plain BAD!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    So BD just quietly quit selling this bike and said nothing publicly about the breakages? How about man the fock up, address the issue publicly, build it better and keep people happy. Overall I'm happy with my X9 after having to replace hubs and such but their business model is still a joke. I remember sending them an email asking them if and when they would be doing a full suspension fat bike. 1st email was ignored, 2nd email was replied with "we have plans at this time for anything like that". One week later it hit their FB page and site. WTF, thanks for lying to me.
    They should have said something, I agree.
    As far as your email goes, I think that's pretty common with bike companies. Probably it works in their best interest to give you a little info, but it's not a requirement for them to tell you things before anyone else knows just because you emailed.
    Also. I think it's likely whoever answered your email didn't know anything and just assumed.
    Regardless, they should probably address the Quigley issue.

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Wow. I have a BD MB fattie that is great, but the handling on this FS model is just plain BAD!
    Do you mean the "handling" is bad on the trail? Or do you mean the way BD is "handling" the frame problem by stating they sold out of them (quicker than expected was their words) when actually they stop sending Quigley out due to frame failure?
    Personally, I really liked the bike out on the trail. I have also had very good correspondence via email with BD with them answering all of my questions and always in a timely fashion. As for now, I am patiently waiting to preorder the next batch of Quigleys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well, both actually, but that is not what I meant in that statement.

1) I think the way that BD is sweeping frame failure problem under the rug and quietly pulling it from sales is bad business at the least. At worst, it may border on negligence and likely deserving of a total recall of the bike. If someone got injured, they might have a legitimate case against BD. I hope that doesn't happen, but who knows how many are out in circulation. We know not everyone wastes time on these forums and may not be aware of the problems shown here.

2) I called out the generally poor design and specifically the suspension pivot placement from the very beginning. Their photos showed a pivot design that could have come from the '90s. The reviews only confirmed the poor pedaling performance and brake jack that I predicted in the original thread. Some claimed that it would be fine since it "looked like the Santa Cruz" single pivot. But they ignored the glaring differences in the designs and the bad performance was proven once people rode the bike.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Well, both actually, but that is not what I meant in that statement.

1) I think the way that BD is sweeping frame failure problem under the rug and quietly pulling it from sales is bad business at the least. At worst, it may border on negligence and likely deserving of a total recall of the bike. If someone got injured, they might have a legitimate case against BD. I hope that doesn't happen, but who knows how many are out in circulation. We know not everyone wastes time on these forums and may not be aware of the problems shown here.

2) I called out the generally poor design and specifically the suspension pivot placement from the very beginning. Their photos showed a pivot design that could have come from the '90s. The reviews only confirmed the poor pedaling performance and brake jack that I predicted in the original thread. Some claimed that it would be fine since it "looked like the Santa Cruz" single pivot. But they ignored the glaring differences in the designs and the bad performance was proven once people rode the bike.
    I was pretty happy with it.
    I got to ride a neat bike for a couple days and then get a full refund. i also thought that the shortcomings in the suspension design were totally acceptable for the price/build spec.
    i still think that the frame is fine for the way most people will use it. (cruising the beach and light duty dirt)
    just my opinion. i like bikes direct and will continue to buy from them.
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    CONTRARY TO SOME THAT DIDNT EVEN BY A QUIGLEY; I think BD has handled the Quigley frame issue quite well! I only know of 4 Quigleys sold and yes each broke. With in a few days of the 3rd one breaking (mine) BD stopped selling them! I understand each owner was at the very least offered a full refund and some may have been offered more. As for the 'serious injury comment' these are not catastrophic failures! Hell I put another 8 miles on mine after I noticed the crack. So let's try and keep this in proportion to the relitive severity of the situation. But yea I guess if you don't pay attention on how your bike acts, sounds, and it feels while riding it to sense a change, it could be cause for more damage! Ie; if you had a blow out while driving down the highway and elect not to stop driving, does it become Chevy's fault for any damages that occurred?
    In my case there were no questions ask about 'how, when or why'! I was promptly offered 3 very reasonable options.
    I chose to receive a Boris from BD and wait for an updated swingarm/frame when it becomes available. I have already received the Boris frame and I'm building it up with components as I gather them.
    I did NOT transfer parts from my Quigley, instead I took my swingarm to the local weld shop and they add a gusset to spread the force out. It's not perfect and will need to be repowder coated, but my Quigley rides again!

Seems to me those on here that actually owned a Quigley are satisfied as to how DB handled their situation. I assume each of us would liked to not have had any issues with our bikes, but not every idea is a great one, and life goes on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-to-Doo View Post
    CONTRARY TO SOME THAT DIDNT EVEN BY A QUIGLEY;
    I missed the requirement of needing to purchase something to have an opinion and post here about it. You and others have provided more than enough information to make and assessment of the situation.

I think BD has handled the Quigley frame issue quite well! I only know of 4 Quigleys sold and yes each broke. With in a few days of the 3rd one breaking (mine) BD stopped selling them! I understand each owner was at the very least offered a full refund and some may have been offered more.
    100% failure rate (based on this thread at least), not a good thing and part of the reason I think BD is being so "agreeable". BD is doing the minimum to keep themselves from having angry customers. Yes, a full refund is in order and they gave a few additional options to pacify the situation. Not really something extraordinary IMHO.

As for the 'serious injury comment' these are not catastrophic failures! Hell I put another 8 miles on mine after I noticed the crack. So let's try and keep this in proportion to the relitive severity of the situation.
    There may not have been a severe problem yet, but do we know how many are out there and how people will use them? I was just pointing out the possibility that it could happen. If it did, that could present a problem for BD if they don't address it with a recall.

They knowingly have a faulty product based on the very timely feedback from those here. We don't have evidence that they have done anything to remove those from circulation for anyone other than those that got the failure and contacted BD themselves. Maybe they have and we haven't hear it since nearly everyone who bought one on here broke it and contacted them?

But yea I guess if you don't pay attention on how your bike acts, sounds, and it feels while riding it to sense a change, it could be cause for more damage! Ie; if you had a blow out while driving down the highway and elect not to stop driving, does it become Chevy's fault for any damages that occurred?
    You're assuming that everyone has some practical knowledge about bikes. But there is no requirement to own one and I have seen way to many people who don't know anything about the bikes they ride (that includes some that cost several thousand dollars) and wouldn't know to listen or look for a failure.

Not to mention why they would even have to in the first place. They are buying a product that shouldn't break with minimal, moderate use as evidenced here. A small crack at a weld location is a very different signal of a problem than a flat tire that is far more visible and evident in the function of a car.

Seems to me those on here that actually owned a Quigley are satisfied as to how DB handled their situation. I assume each of us would liked to not have had any issues with our bikes, but not every idea is a great one, and life goes on!
    I actually own one of the first MB Fatties and had some issues with it. BD handled that very well and I even spoke with the owner during the process. That was good customer service meeting the depth of the issue.

However, that was a very minor issue compared to a frame failure in every product we have seen. Not knowing all the details from inside their company, it seems very lax the way they are dealing with this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I wasn't implying that one had to purchase a Quigley to have an opinion. I was clearly implying that I was treated with beyond reasonable options and timely handling of this matter by BD!
    On the other hand has anyone ever had to deal with insurance! Our 41' 5th wheel toyhauler's frame failed last Sunday and my truck STILL sits under it unable to move either waiting on insurance adjuster to gather info and make a decision on what to do! They kept tell me I need to take it to get estimates for repairs! They couldn't get the idea that the fifth wheel's hitch box collapsed and there's almost 3000 pounds sitting on my bed rails! We have $140k worth of Truck and RV sitting in my driveway un-moveable! That IMO is not acceptable!

So again to keep this into perspective the DB Quigley issue is small potatoes!

Hooligan
    I took my swingarm to the local weld shop and they add a gusset to spread the force out. It's not perfect and will need to be repowder coated, but my Quigley rides again!
    I would look into getting it re-heat treated too, unlike steel aluminum does funny things when its welded.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just a quick update on my repaired Quigley. 250 miles after the repair the Quigley still rides! No issues to report. I have made some changes:

Changed out the stock Quigley componints to the Boris frame, getting the Boris set up for winter riding. Found a crank set cheap off local trade site. Stil looking for a deal on fat forks, suspended or not.
    I have installed each of these components. The Quigley feels like a different bike now!

Hope Pro2 Evo Fatsno hubs
    Marge lites rims
    Tubeless FatBNimble tires
    Xpedo Spry peddles
    Upgraded the 180mm rotors
    Raceface 30T single gear
    Sram 1090 Gear cassette
    Raceface Next bars
    Ergon GP2 grips
    Lighter wallet

I stopped adding up the weight savings at 8 pounds, because I know the first digit in the Quigley's trail weight is now a 2 and it will never be ridable if it could ever get to a 1 there! I'm good with a mid/upper 20 lbs full suspension Fat tire bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Awesome to hear!!!!

Now I just need to see one of these thrown on bikeisland and I will get the swing arm re-enforced.

since 4/10/2009
    Just a quick update on my repaired Quigley. 250 miles after the repair the Quigley still rides! No issues to report. I have made some changes:

Changed out the stock Quigley componints to the Boris frame, getting the Boris set up for winter riding. Found a crank set cheap off local trade site. Stil looking for a deal on fat forks, suspended or not.
    I have installed each of these components. The Quigley feels like a different bike now!

Hope Pro2 Evo Fatsno hubs
    Marge lites rims
    Tubeless FatBNimble tires
    Xpedo Spry peddles
    Upgraded the 180mm rotors
    Raceface 30T single gear
    Sram 1090 Gear cassette
    Raceface Next bars
    Ergon GP2 grips
    Lighter wallet

I stopped adding up the weight savings at 8 pounds, because I know the first digit in the Quigley's trail weight is now a 2 and it will never be ridable if it could ever get to a 1 there! I'm good with a mid/upper 20 lbs full suspension Fat tire bike!
    mid/upper 20's? you're full of $hit. change that 2 to a 3 and you might be onto something with the build you have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Harold that was kind of harsh!
    Not sure if you struggle with simple math or your just completely clueless!
    Not that I need to but I'll try and break it down so you can follow along.
    Hmmm, my Quigley weighed 38 pounds when I got it. When I was building up my BORIS I decided to spend some money on decent lighter parts and put the new parts on the Quigley and the stock Quigley parts on the Boris. So far I have replaced the hubs, wheels, tires, tubeless, removed one shifter w/cable & one chainring and changed out the other front chain ring, rear cassette, peddles, seat post and and bars.

I don't care how long you've been here or how many posts you have if you don't think a guy can spend some money and drop 9 pounds exchanging middle of the road components, it is you sir that is clueless or a dumba$$. (Your choice, pick only one and let me know!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Dropping 9 lbs with that build list I'll accept.
    "Mid/Upper 20's", final weight, I will not. I'd be overjoyed if that was the case, as the Bucksaw build I've been assembling is 29-30 on paper with several lighter bits. Hoping to squeak in under 30 once all the misc bits are hung.

since 4/10/2009
    Hmmm, my Quigley weighed 38 pounds when I got it. When I was building up my BORIS I decided to spend some money on decent lighter parts and put the new parts on the Quigley and the stock Quigley parts on the Boris. So far I have replaced the hubs, wheels, tires, tubeless, removed one shifter w/cable & one chainring and changed out the other front chain ring, rear cassette, peddles, seat post and and bars.

I don't care how long you've been here or how many posts you have if you don't think a guy can spend some money and drop 9 pounds exchanging middle of the road components, it is you sir that is clueless or a dumba$$. (Your choice, pick only one and let me know!)
    Post a pic with the bike on a good scale and I will eat my words.

I get that you cut a good bit of weight, especially with the wheel swap. But I don't believe for a second that you have that bike below 30lbs. My Bucksaw build is a hair lighter (I have some carbon Nexties on mine and lighter cranks, but otherwise is similar) and it's just above 30lbs. The absolute lightest FS fatbikes I've seen posted are in the upper 20's, and they're a lot more aggressively lightened than mine. I'd buy 31-32lbs for your bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    mid/upper 20's? you're full of $hit. change that 2 to a 3 and you might be onto something with the build you have.
    No Harold now your changing your story. I said upper/mid 20's and you clearly stated I need to change the 2 to a 3. Therefore you were saying I'm full of shit and you feel my bike weighs upper/mid 30's!

If you get a pic, look for the finger it'll be aimed directly at you!

since 4/10/2009
    No Harold now your changing your story. I said upper/mid 20's and you clearly stated I need to change the 2 to a 3. Therefore you were saying I'm full of shit and you feel my bike weighs upper/mid 30's!

If you get a pic, look for the finger it'll be aimed directly at you!
    you really want to win the biggest wang contest that nobody else is playing, don't you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    you really want to win the biggest wang contest that nobody else is playing, don't you?
    No, not at all dude! You made a brash statement and I called you on it! Get over it and move on to go hate on some else's post or something!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Good lord why get all upset of how much someone says they got their bike to weight.

We should be jealous he has a working FS Fatbike for under $1500.

since 4/10/2009
    No, not at all dude! You made a brash statement and I called you on it! Get over it and move on to go hate on some else's post or something!
    Surprise! I'm brash at times. Get over it. I called you out on your excessive optimism. Though the tone doesn't come across in text well, my original post was conceived with a chuckle. Go have fun riding your bike. I'm grumpy because my state has become the 6th Great Lake in the past month and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by KenPsz View Post
    Good lord why get all upset of how much someone says they got their bike to weight.

We should be jealous he has a working FS Fatbike for under $1500.
    Who's upset over anything on a forum? I'm not.

You could argue it wound up as more expensive than that, even though a bunch of parts were moved from another bike, with the frame repair followed by the upgrades. He didn't say how much his wallet was lightened, but considering what he put on there, it's not cheap stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Harold

1) You are correct your tone did not come across

2) You are correct he might be over the $1500 but he is less than a bucksaw (although that is a better bike).

mtbr member
    It's like we can't get along. Yep, it's a forum.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Harold is right on, there is no way that build on that frame is under 30#.

The build is lighter on my Mutz and I weigh in a 34#.

To lose 4# I'd have to change everything possible over to carbon, lose the dropper, and go with FBN's, and it would still be a close call to get under 30#. The problem with this build is FBN's are like riding egg shells (fragile) and losing a dropper to keep down weight is just plain lame on an FS.

Harold reacted strongly because the poster is FOS. That sort of exuberant post could lead less knowledgeable readers to think the BD FS frame fiasco is resolved AND that they can get a very light FS fatty for cheap.

I'm more surprised that the rest of readers didn't jump on this claim faster!

If I was looking for an FS fatty on the cheap, I'd buy a Foes or BS frame set and do a budget build.

That^^^would be a good bet.

Your Best Friend
    I too would like to see a picture of the bike on a scale. If you're going to make a claim, you need to be ready to back it up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I doubt we will see a pic of sub 30 lbs. The bike is just too heavy. It very well could be 33ish but I doubt any less. Either way I hope BD gets their act together and starts rolling out a better version soon. I have no need or love for local shops. The ones here act like smug pricks. If you walk in to look around they assume you are about to shoplift and follow you like a shadow and then act like you don't know anything about bikes. My Boris X9 has probably more miles than all the Fatboy's they have sold combined.

beer thief
    No, not at all dude! I made a brash statement and you called me on it!
    Hahahaha, "mid/upper 20s"?! You're a funny guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    can you post a picture of the repair?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, shop guys can have attitudes, but it's no different with paddle shops or ski/board shops, it's part of the 'tude that goes along being a shop person. It's tough when folks stereotype, there are "good guys" out there if you take the time.

If you can get comfy with a shop, it's to your advantage and to the owners advantage, but it kinda depends on what you have for shops. I hang with a one guy shop who was new in town when I got to Wenatchee, he's been good to me so I help him out.

If everyone spent half their purchase dollars in brick and mortar shops, maybe things would be different...kinda like it was "back in the day".

Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    I doubt we will see a pic of sub 30 lbs. The bike is just too heavy. It very well could be 33ish but I doubt any less. Either way I hope BD gets their act together and starts rolling out a better version soon. I have no need or love for local shops. The ones here act like smug pricks. If you walk in to look around they assume you are about to shoplift and follow you like a shadow and then act like you don't know anything about bikes. My Boris X9 has probably more miles than all the Fatboy's they have sold combined.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I too would like to see a picture of the bike on a scale. If you're going to make a claim, you need to be ready to back it up.

Where were all of you when I casually called out finalgear on the carbon trailbike thread and got flamed for it?

Your Best Friend
    Sleeping?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    For what it's worth I'm 51 yrs old. I got back into biking to get in shape.
    I honestly didn't realize that there are some that would get offended by the mention of weight. After doing a bit of searching, I kind of laughed because most here use grams to weigh items. I use my bathroom scales! Sorry if that's not good enough for some of you, but that what I used! Im not buying some special calibrated scale for some internet cry babies that have nothing better to do then insult someone that is happy with their choice of fat tired bike they have made. As for a providing a pic, yea that's about on the same lines! I'm not going to buy some fancy camera just to have a few people pick apart the picture because something they don't like!
    I use my bath room scales to weigh things and based on what they showed me I have taken more than 8 pounds off my bike. If anyone doesn't like what I've said, oh well! I don't weigh things in grams, I don't have the means to nor does it mean that much to me to!
    Now, I am sorry I even mentioned weigh because I truly didn't mean to offend those that may or may not have spent more than twice what I have of on a bike that weighs as much as mine more or less! Believe it or not I didn't post anything that I didn't think was true!
    I've lost 40 pounds since I got my Quigley and I'm pretty happy about that too!
    Oh wait! That's using the same bathroom scales too, so maybe I've actually gained that much based on of some the rude comments here!
    Enjoy your bikes, I am!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just am interested what the repair looks like, so chill dude.

I like the fact you got the bike up and running again but forget my request for information that other people could benefit from.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I couldn't care less about weight but would like to see a picture of the repair if you could get one. Only because I was interested in the Quigley when it was available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    It's like misquoting a price. If someone posted a bike price with a couple hundred dollar variance you'd be ticked. Costs a lot of money to get bike weight down

so how much does the bike weight on your bath scale right now? Not the weight saved from parts replaced on the bike but the actual bike weight.

Weight it like you would a baby. Get on with and without the bike and subtract the difference.
    This.

If you weighed parts swapped on a scale with +/- 1/2lb visible reading (who knows what the actual tolerance is) it could be off a bunch due to rounding alone for each component checked. Not a great method if you have a low precision device.

A full bike weight as described above is going to be as accurate as possible without a precision scale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    That's great and all that you have doing well fitness wise. The reason people called you on the weight thing is basically because it takes about a $6,000 bike to be full suspension and mid 20's. Making a statement like that was sure to get some attention. Now that you have been called on it, move on and try to be more accurate on stuff like that down the road. Glad the bike is working out for ya.

since 4/10/2009
    For what it's worth I'm 51 yrs old. I got back into biking to get in shape.
    I honestly didn't realize that there are some that would get offended by the mention of weight. After doing a bit of searching, I kind of laughed because most here use grams to weigh items. I use my bathroom scales! Sorry if that's not good enough for some of you, but that what I used! Im not buying some special calibrated scale for some internet cry babies that have nothing better to do then insult someone that is happy with their choice of fat tired bike they have made. As for a providing a pic, yea that's about on the same lines! I'm not going to buy some fancy camera just to have a few people pick apart the picture because something they don't like!
    I use my bath room scales to weigh things and based on what they showed me I have taken more than 8 pounds off my bike. If anyone doesn't like what I've said, oh well! I don't weigh things in grams, I don't have the means to nor does it mean that much to me to!
    Now, I am sorry I even mentioned weigh because I truly didn't mean to offend those that may or may not have spent more than twice what I have of on a bike that weighs as much as mine more or less! Believe it or not I didn't post anything that I didn't think was true!
    I've lost 40 pounds since I got my Quigley and I'm pretty happy about that too!
    Oh wait! That's using the same bathroom scales too, so maybe I've actually gained that much based on of some the rude comments here!
    Enjoy your bikes, I am!
    Dude, chill.

I use a cheap fish scale. For whole bike weights, it's great. Does okay for bigger things like frames and wheels. It's absolute garbage for anything that weighs less than a pound. That's just not within the scale's optimal weight range.

I have a 0.1 g scale, also. I don't use it for bike parts. I bought it when I needed to weigh down for a DIY sleeping bag I made years ago. Sometimes I use it for homebrewing. It has an UPPER limit for weight. Anything more than 500g won't register. Which means a lot of bike parts. But anything less than 0.1g also doesn't effectively register on the scale.

Your bathroom scale is the same way. It works okay for whole person weights. Not so great for less than that. Most bathroom scales aren't that accurate to begin with. That's why people are saying to weigh yourself without the bike, and then to weigh yourself with the bike, then subtract the weight of yourself. That should register within the effective range of the scale, unless you've got a scale with a low upper limit and you're already close to that. Which isn't uncommon. If you have a scale with a 300lb limit, you're 250, and you+bike puts you close to the upper limit, you'll lose accuracy then, also.

Also...most bike shops have scales, and will weigh things if you ask nicely.

You're too sensitive about posts here. People post BS all the time. People get called on it all the time. Some BS gets missed and it confuses or misleads people. Nobody got offended except for you. Nothing was personal. Your statement was outlandish. This website, by its very nature, is techy. It's full of technical people. Anyone who is loosey goosey or outlandish with numbers or facts is going to get called out for it.

This communication medium is also heavily reliant on pictures and videos. I'm sure you must have missed that. You are also making yourself look pretty silly by calling a digital camera "some fancy camera". You could have just said that you don't own a digital camera without getting huffy about it. Retro grouch much?

aka bOb
    My BS meter was going crazy this morning, boy have I been missing out on some entertaining reading.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Doesn't go too far enough
    Aug 2013
    Retro grouch much?
    That's an outlandish statement, and an insult to retro grouches.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'd just like to guess that the new design will also end up breaking under any kind of real hard trail use. The wider standard puts a lot more stress on the frame, and requires a really well thought out design along side good quality materials.

I think the BD bikes price point reflects the lower standard in materials and welds. Again its to be expected and I don't think anyone buying a BD FS is fooling themselves. It's more about cush on regular trail use then any real heavy DH abuse. Its great for people who suffer from some kind of joint/back/neck pain related to the rattle on a hardtail.

I don't own any FS bikes anymore since I'm mainly a masochistic hardtail kind of guy, but a FS bike with super wide hubs isn't something I'd skimp on. People who really use and abuse all the travel in a FS bike, are usually already quite proficiency down hill and invested in mountain biking. So dropping $1500-2500 on a frameset alone is usually quite reasonable for how invested they are in the sport.

Cheap FS bikes were always a really weird option in my opinion. If you ride hard enough to really need a FS bike, then you probably known you'll easily break a cheap alternative. It's like telling an avid race car driver that the sport logo on your Toyota corolla means its a sports car and can be abused in the same manner as his purpose built machine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by l3eaudacious View Post
    I'd just like to guess that the new design will also end up breaking under any kind of real hard trail use. The wider standard puts a lot more stress on the frame, and requires a really well thought out design along side good quality materials.

I think the BD bikes price point reflects the lower standard in materials and welds. Again its to be expected and I don't think anyone buying a BD FS is fooling themselves. It's more about cush on regular trail use then any real heavy DH abuse. Its great for people who suffer from some kind of joint/back/neck pain related to the rattle on a hardtail.

I don't own any FS bikes anymore since I'm mainly a masochistic hardtail kind of guy, but a FS bike with super wide hubs isn't something I'd skimp on. People who really use and abuse all the travel in a FS bike, are usually already quite proficiency down hill and invested in mountain biking. So dropping $1500-2500 on a frameset alone is usually quite reasonable for how invested they are in the sport.

Cheap FS bikes were always a really weird option in my opinion. If you ride hard enough to really need a FS bike, then you probably known you'll easily break a cheap alternative. It's like telling an avid race car driver that the sport logo on your Toyota corolla means its a sports car and can be abused in the same manner as his purpose built machine.

yeah I will disagree with you on your perceptions of people that own FS bikes. I have NEVER paid more than 2K for a whole bike (new btw) and have yet to break one. But I know what bike designs and styles work for my weight.

People buy FS because it is better, they perform better and are more comfortable. But this notion of $1500 for just a frame LOL!!!!! You sound like that article that from the angry single speeder back in June.

People like me just want a FS Fat Bike at the same price points you can by a decent FS 26, 27.5 or 29er; that magic $1000 to $2000 area.

Your Best Friend
    Hate to burst your bubble but it's nearly impossible to buy a "decent " FS bike in any wheel size for a price between $1000 and $2000. I wouldn't touch a new FS bike for less than $2500 and even that is bare minimum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hate to burst your bubble but it's nearly impossible to buy a "decent " FS bike in any wheel size for a price between $1000 and $2000. I wouldn't touch a new FS bike for less than $2500 and even that is bare minimum.

The your idea of a "decent" FS bike and mine are totally different then. My Giant Anthem says different that I got that for $1300. My bother-in-laws 9K bike did nothing better than my "cheap" bike did.

Buy what you can afford and enjoy, if you "enjoy" the bone jarring ride of a hardtail all the power to you. But for me hardtails SUCK and 2K is the limit on a toy (sorry a bike).

For the 20+ years, I have been mtbing, the bike industry has peddled than 2500 nonsense, with the price point they wanted to be around 3K. Still has not happened. But please buy those 3K bikes then 2 years from now I will buy it for $1000 to 1500 and laugh all the way to the bank.

Your Best Friend
    You said "new btw". Just keeping you honest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You said "new btw". Just keeping you honest.

Yeah mine Giant Anthem was NEW when I bought it (2014 Model). Oh and my nephew has a even nicer Giant Trance (all fox shock setup) that his dad picked up for $1900. So there goes your chance to win the internet fight.

I generally don't buy new since it is a total waste of money. I will let the suckers spend 3K then I will buy used after they go chasing the next shiny thing the bike industry wants to sell them for 3K.

But that does not change the fact you can buy NEW, under 2K, "decent" FS bike. You personally (Silentfoe) just would not agree what I consider "decent" is.

Your Best Friend
    True. We never will agree. I tell everyone who asks that they are wasting their money on a FS bike that retails for less than $2500. You're much better off getting a similarly priced hardtail. Also, there wasn't a single 2014 Anthem for as cheap as you claim. You may have gotten a bro deal on it but that still negates your point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    True. We never will agree. I tell everyone who asks that they are wasting their money on a FS bike that retails for less than $2500. You're much better off getting a similarly priced hardtail. Also, there wasn't a single 2014 Anthem for as cheap as you claim. You may have gotten a bro deal on it but that still negates your point.
    Yeah I will never agree with people like you that have this bike snob attitude around Hardtails and what makes up a "decent" FS bike.

I have the bike and know what I paid so that does not negate my point because I have the proof, same with the Trance. So looks like you are loosing points there.

Why are you even in a thread about a BikesDirect bike anyway if you are this biased on cost?

Seems you are a better fit for discussions around Ti and high end bikes, instead of playing with those below you in the bike world.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KenPsz View Post
    Yeah I will never agree with people like you that have this bike snob attitude around Hardtails and what makes up a "decent" FS bike.

I have the bike and know what I paid so that does not negate my point because I have the proof, same with the Trance. So looks like you are loosing points there.

Why are you even in a thread about a BikesDirect bike anyway if you are this biased on cost?

Seems you are a better fit for discussions around Ti and high end bikes, instead of playing with those below you in the bike world.
    You're the one being a tool, dude. You're the one getting personal over a minor disagreement.

It's a nonnegotiable fact that all else being equal, a FS bike for the same components costs more than a hardtail because you're adding MORE components and R&D. This is the way it works. Sure, you can buy FS bikes in the price range between $1,000 and $2,000. But they have lower end components than a similarly priced hardtail. You can buy sub $1,000 FS bikes, for that matter.

People who are very passionate about bikes tend to have preferences. If they've been riding for a long time, those preferences can be pretty strong. Silentfoe was stating his preferences. He has a minimum component standard he is willing to ride. So do I. Mine is probably different than his. It's not snobbery, on either of our parts. Any thread with people who ride budget bikes inevitably devolves into name-calling and defensiveness. Give it up, will you? That act is getting tired.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You're the one being a tool, dude. You're the one getting personal over a minor disagreement.

It's a nonnegotiable fact that all else being equal, a FS bike for the same components costs more than a hardtail because you're adding MORE components and R&D. This is the way it works. Sure, you can buy FS bikes in the price range between $1,000 and $2,000. But they have lower end components than a similarly priced hardtail. You can buy sub $1,000 FS bikes, for that matter.

People who are very passionate about bikes tend to have preferences. If they've been riding for a long time, those preferences can be pretty strong. Silentfoe was stating his preferences. He has a minimum component standard he is willing to ride. So do I. Mine is probably different than his. It's not snobbery, on either of our parts. Any thread with people who ride budget bikes inevitably devolves into name-calling and defensiveness. Give it up, will you? That act is getting tired.
    Yeah because I am the one with a attitude about what the people should be buying because they are not paying enough. Or making blanket statements that a new decent FS bike of ANY SIZE can't be had for under $2000.

I have seen the same silly rants for 20 years about the $2500 price point with the same silly reasoning. The market shows that reasoning is not just reasonable. Components are disposable, ride them break them and get new ones.

Picky people pissed off and ran off the ONE GUY that has keep a Quigly running, so there goes that useful information.

But hey what do I know I am a rude tool.

LOL!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Its hard for me to respect anything KenPsz says, since apparently hardtails suck, and bikes are just a "toy". You're comments read like that of a 13 year old child.

Laugh to the bank all you want. I'll be smiling on the trail shredding,and enjoying life on my "expensive" hardtail. While you sit at the trailhead begrudging other people they're foolishly expensive bikes, then get on your hardcore FS bike to ride the local XC trails.

Hell a proper DH fork alone is $800-$1000. Have you even ever watched the lunatics at your local DH trails? They need FS bikes, and they aren't riding $1000 FS bikes.

beer thief
    This train has gone totally off the track. How about getting back on topic? Mr. Back-to-doo, how much do you actually have invested in upgrades and repairs to your Quig? And did you get that scale working?

mtbr member
    bravo. second that motion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It's baaaack... but is it really better :P
    Full Suspension FatBikes Save Up to 60% Off Rockshox Bluto Fatbikes

"IMPORTANT: READ THIS PRIOR TO ORDERING
    New Quigley with Improved Sniper Frame. Reinforced and Special HeatTreatment."

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Glad to see they revised it but I'm holding out for a plus bike to save a few pounds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Does the rear suspension have a lockout feature?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I wonder what they did to say "Reinforced/ Super HeatTreated"

Wonder who the " sold thousands of Gravity Fatbikes" went to that are still working.

Well hopefully this time it is a keeper.

aka bOb
    18.7" chainstays with a 70.5 deg head angle just screams fun

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    18.7" chainstays with a 70.5 deg head angle just screams fun
    You forgot to include "not".

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Did salsa also sniper heat treat the countless bucksaw frames that broke?

http://imgur.com/0YsyJou

Or can all frames be broken depending on abuse level?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureRider View Post

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Yes, Salsa heat treated that carbon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yes, Salsa heat treated that carbon.
    That knots carbon.

since 4/10/2009
    That knots carbon.
    I own one. That part of the frame is carbon. I also have several hundred miles on mine without a squeak. As do quite a few folks on mtbr. Which is hardly even close to the failure rate of the OG Quigley.

That pic shows the only Bucksaw I'm aware of that has broken.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I own one. That part of the frame is carbon. I also have several hundred miles on mine without a squeak. As do quite a few folks on mtbr. Which is hardly even close to the failure rate of the OG Quigley.

That pic shows the only Bucksaw I'm aware of that has broken.
    Carbon is bad choice then.

since 4/10/2009
    Carbon is bad choice then.
    Yes. Because one bike out of hundreds cracked. And aluminum is worse because every quigley purchased cracked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yes. Because one bike out of hundreds cracked. And aluminum is worse because every quigley purchased cracked.
    Yes because all cracked bucksaws are reported to mtbr lol. If one bucksaw cracked, probably a lot of bucksaws cracked from mild riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    What the hell's going on in here? I just clicked in because I wanted to see a bike named Quigley.

since 4/10/2009
    Yes because all cracked bucksaws are reported to mtbr lol. If one bucksaw cracked, probably a lot of bucksaws cracked from mild riding.
    You're a moron, really.

Every material fails from time to time. Consistency tells us there is a bad design or shoddy manufacturing involved.

Carbon works fine on bikes if you're willing to pay for it. Poorly made carbon parts will break frequently. Well made carbon parts will break rarely. Same goes for any material. If it's made well, it will hold up. If not, then it won't.

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    According to Bikesdirect Facebook page, they are claiming that they sold out of all Quigleys and that only a fraction of the ones sold had problems. I call Bullsh!t. When my Quig frame failed, I had exchanged several emails with BD. Upon inquiring about purchasing another one for parts, I was told "as of now we have stopped sending them out until the factory sends updated versions with BD". This was after I noticed that their website listed them as all sold out when just 1 day earlier, there were Orange and Grape sodas in different sizes still available. I was also told that the Quigley was going to be redesigned, however, the picture on BD's website appears to be the exact same bike. I was seriously considering ordering another one until reading BD's claim on their Facebook page. I can't bring myself to trust them nor do I want to be another guinea pig test rider for the new Quig. The bike was seriously fun for all of 4 rides. BD did respond quickly to all of my emails and they refunded me promptly for the bike. Also, I am now very curious about Bikesdirect announcement for a 27.5+ full sussy coming soon.
    Last edited by dmars3571; 08-25-2015 at 04:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

That picture has been around for a while, there is one other I could find on the internet, the source of these pictures would not respond to me and others that tried to reach them. So there in a good chance they are fake.
    I saw the pictures before i bought my bs but didn't take them to serious, most people will tell their story if they had a problem.

mtbr member
    They didn't reply so someone must have photo shopped a crack there just because they hate salsa? For the record I have a BD fatbike and think the Quigley is a joke.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by dmars3571 View Post
    .... I was also told that the Quigley was going to be redesigned, however, the picture on BD's website appears to be the exact same bike...
    It is unfortunate that they did not take this opportunity to fix a couple of obvious problem spots, like the high pivot location and rear triangle that is barely a triangle. I found it funny that they quoted various MTBR folks who were apparently not raving about the Quig. They should have quoted the Dirt Dawg about what a pogo stick it was.

Hooligan
    I agree. looks like they just gusseted the problem area (and gave it *special* heat treatment).
    actually fixing anything that i critiqued would have involved a much bigger overhaul. this way they can use the existing front triangle. hopefully this band-aid will do the trick and fix the durability problem, but its still very much the same bike.
    I really do wish that they would start implementing the (now public) FSR linkage and make something worth riding.

aka bOb
    What do you mean, you just can't throw a couple of pivot points and a shock on a frame and call it awesome? There is actually more to it than that ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I wouldn't buy a 4k bucksaw though with the crack issues. Imagine how many upset owners of the bucksaw with cracks after spending 4500 after taxes and mtb gear? Rather get a 1400 Quigley that is made more durable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Would be interesting if the "fixes" are the same ones discussed on this thread.

mtbr member
    What do you mean, you just can't throw a couple of pivot points and a shock on a frame and call it awesome? There is actually more to it than that ?
    I'm very surprised we haven't seen any FS fatbikes from giant, trek, cannondale, specialized. These guys sure have the money for R&D and the demand Seems to be there. Salsa, turner, and foes jumped into the market early and that's it. Fatbikes aren't exactly new anymore. Wonder why? Maybe they're all going for the B+ instead?

mtbr member
    I still haven't even heard of any fatbikes from Giant, at all. I don't even think they have a "+" bike.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I wouldn't buy a 4k bucksaw though with the crack issues. Imagine how many upset owners of the bucksaw with cracks after spending 4500 after taxes and mtb gear? Rather get a 1400 Quigley that is made more durable.
    Unless you have something useful to add, please move along to more useful avocations, preferably not here.

Continue trolling, and you'll be getting the attention you so obviously desire, but probably not of the type you wanted.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Unless you have something useful to add, please move along to more useful avocations, preferably not here.

Continue trolling, and you'll be getting the attention you so obviously desire, but probably not of the type you wanted.....
    Not trolling it is logic. Would you buy a 4000 dollar bike that has been shown to crack or a quigsley for 1400 which has been treated for increased durability?

aka bOb
    Simple the Bucksaw. For one Salsa will stand behind it. Second the bs doesn't ride like a pogo stick piece of crap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Not trolling it is logic. Would you buy a 4000 dollar bike that has been shown to crack or a quigsley for 1400 which has been treated for increased durability?
    I have a lot more than $ 4,000 in my bucksaw and am glad I bough it, great bike . To each their own. I don’t think your statement is true about bucksaws known to crack, as I said earlier there are a couple of pictures out there, one I can find a thread on and Salsa made good on it. The other the guy would not respond on it so who know what happen there. Out of all the sawbucks out there and no more info on failures I would not call that a design flaw. Unless you have some secret info that is not readily available by a google search.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thing is I doubt there are that many bucksaws being bought / sold...not many people are willing to pay 4k for a bicycle. I think that is pretty evident. So if there is two that cracked who knows what this suggests. Wouldn't doubt many that do buy the bike are so afraid of scratching it they don't even take it out for its intended purpose....they probably ride it up and down the street or stare at it in their living room

Doesn't go too far enough
    Aug 2013
    What do you mean, you just can't throw a couple of pivot points and a shock on a frame and call it awesome?
    Isn't that what they did?

aka bOb
    Thing is I doubt there are that many bucksaws being bought / sold...not many people are willing to pay 4k for a bicycle. I think that is pretty evident. So if there is two that cracked who knows what this suggests. Wouldn't doubt many that do buy the bike are so afraid of scratching it they don't even take it out for its intended purpose....they probably ride it up and down the street or stare at it in their living room
    This along with many statements proves you know absolutely nothing about the cycling industry. My only regret is I have but only one red chicklet to give.

The rectocranial inversion is strong on this one.....

Keep it up. Why let the world think you are clueless when you can open your mouth and remove all doubt?

Folks want to talk bikes, cheap, or otherwise. You're simply here to throw troll muck. Move along, or at least find something useful to say that doesn't involve bagging on how much folks choose to spend on their ride, last chance.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    The rectocranial inversion is strong on this one.....

Keep it up. Why let the world think you are clueless when you can open your mouth and remove all doubt?

Folks want to talk bikes, cheap, or otherwise. You're simply here to throw troll muck. Move along, or at least find something useful to say that doesn't involve bagging on how much folks choose to spend on their ride, last chance.
    I'm not sure how stating "not many people are buying 4k+ fat bikes" is bagging on people? Trust me, not many people are buying 4k+ fat bikes. I go in the bike shop over here regularly...see the same fat bikes regularly for the past few months. They are not being sold. I'm speaking from experience. Dealer told me himself, they just don't sell. If he tells me they don't sell, is he bagging on people's buying choice? No he is simply stating what he knows from his experience being a bicycle dealer.

As for the other statements, also based on experience. I browse craigslist like many others and see high end mountain bikes barely used, no nicks, or scratches in flawless condition. There is something to say about it. Maybe the more expensive the bike is, the less chance it is being put to the abuse that the Gravity Quigley has been put through? 4k+ bikes are probably targeting older males that aren't as rough with their stuff. A Quigley will probably be more affordable to the hardcore younger guys in their early teens to mid-twenties who will really put it through some extreme tests.

Just saying, it's not a far off possibility.

since 4/10/2009
    Moron. More red chicklets for you.

I have personally encountered a few Bucksaws in the wild not ridden by me. I know of at least five that were sold in my area. A couple of the ones I know are $6,000-$7,000 builds (including mine). They have been ridden hard. One I encountered was in Georgia. It was a red carbon Bucksaw, so easily a $7,000 build.

Yeah some people sell lightly used high end bikes. So what? People buy cheap bikes they never use also.

since 4/10/2009
    It's made more durable, huh? Pray tell, how so, if so many Quigleys fell apart that sales had to be stopped so the bike design could be fixed (and I'm doubtful that it was actually fixed)?

I'm curious how many thousands of miles the Bucksaw owners on this forum have ridden their bikes without any frame failures?

Loser
    I have 800 miles of technical riding on my Bucksaw, none of it in my living room. I've had no issues at all - I'm still surprised at how quiet it is. I rode with two people who had brand new (first and second rides) Yetis, the rattling and banging coming off those bikes was crazy.

Are they selling thousands of Bucksaws? Probably not, it is a boutique bike, but I see them out on the trail every now and then. It is certainly NOT a flimsy or under designed bike. In this day of the internet if someone buys a $4000 bike and it fails, it will get posted. I haven't seen anything other than those two pictures and I have never heard the real story behind the broken seatstay picture.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    It's made more durable, huh? Pray tell, how so, if so many Quigleys fell apart that sales had to be stopped so the bike design could be fixed (and I'm doubtful that it was actually fixed)?

I'm curious how many thousands of miles the Bucksaw owners on this forum have ridden their bikes without any frame failures?
    Does not matter how many thousands of miles a bucksaw rider on this forum has gone without cracking a frame. If a quigley rider had gone 3 thousand miles without cracking anything would it matter? No.

As I stated we don't know how many cracked bucksaws are out there kiddo. Every bucksaw rider doesn't go to this wonderful forum to talk with great personalities like yourself to report bucksaw frame issues. The probability is high that there are quite a few more bucksaws out there that have cracked, have paint issues and other deficiencies. Thats just logical thinking. Maybe mtbr is your hang out apparently but mtbr isn't where the rest of the 99.9% of mountain bikers out in the world go to express their concerns about a cracked frame.

And if you have the income to spend 4500 on a bicycle its highly probable unless you are retired, that you do not have the time to go on a forum like this. You tell your assistant to take it to the bike shop, salsa sends you out a new bucksaw frame, then have your secretary pick it up after the board of directors meeting ..and make sure she delivers it promptly so you can try the new bike rack you just installed on your good old trusty 2011 Veyron.

I do believe the Quigley had issues, but just because a bucksaw is around 2k just for the frame doesn't mean it doesn't have cracking issues either. There really is no way to even disprove that the bucksaw is more crack prone than the Quigley...because both are known to crack. You can't use an mtbr thread with such a small sample population base and use that as proof. A kid would, but adults need more facts, and I doubt salsa is willing to share that info on how many cracked frames it had to replace.

mtbr member
    Just stop man...we get it.

Loser
    must resist the urge...

Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    Sunnyday returns
    My thoughts exactly.

Same argument as climate deniers.

"The northeast had a really cold winter, therefore, there's no global warming".......

If I don't have the $ to spend on a bike that costs X, nobody does. If my bike shop doesn't sell expensive bikes, no bike shop does.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Loser
    I must be missing the boat on the secretary thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I must be missing the boat on the secretary thing.
    Freakin 1%er.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast