Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Hooligan

Re: Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post

(of course Moab should be on almost everyone's bucket list)

the Oldbear Fred Peace
    Agreed. Moab is spectacular, and one of my favorite bike trips ever.
    Great post oldbear, Glad to hear everything is going well for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Marna: I am not that computer savy to repost It. I will keep on writing and posting here if you see something you can print it out and put it on your blog and yahoo. com page. It's kinda hard when they only thing this laptop does is act as a portal to the web.
    On the bike front we are going to order a Gravity Bullseye monster for my oldest son who has autism. He can ride a bike and deserves one of these for himself. We are ordering in March cuz we gotta save for it. It will be a green 16 inch. He's currently riding a walgoose beat and keeps wanting me to lower the seat on mine to ride it Then the next bike is for my wife next fall after her surgery to remove a tumor. Your Humble Obedient Servant, OldBear
    Thank you!
    Good Luck to your and your family.....we all look forward to seeing your family, all sitting on their Fatties....out on the trial!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    just wondering if any one tried a 100 mm on the front and a 80 on the back. i am waiting for my monster and am very worried about the 50 mm rims didnt see that till after order. want it for snow so any help would be great thanks so much

mtbr member

Gravity strikes again! JK

Marna: I just looked at your blog. It is really neat, When we lived off grid at a radio station in SE Missouri we had solar power and propane generators. We also kept goats. We rode Mountain bikes on some sweet Ozark hills down there and some old BMX/beach cruisers a neighbor gave us. So we know what it's like to live in the woods off grid.

I got some good news today from the Cardiologist. He told my that a recent ultrasound of my heart showed that it's function has improved 10%! All because of diet and a matte black Gravity Bullseye Monster! My weight drops steadily month by month, week by week and day by day. So anyone who has doubts I have physical proof!
    Peace OLDBEAR

mtbr member
    congrats oldbear. Keep it up

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster PRO Bluto Fork FatBike

This looks SWEET! SALE $1099.95 (List $2899)

Save Up to 60% Off Rockshox Bluto Fatbikes

Gravity Bullseye Monster-bullseye-monster-pro-blu-9.jpg

Frame: Tapered Head Tube, ALLOY 6061 FRAME, W/DISC MOUNT, TIG WELD, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, H2O bosses, T/T-35MM, S/T-31.8MM, D/T-44M, Rear Rack SeatStay Brazeons, 170mm symmetrical rear
    Fork: ROCKSHOX BLUTO W/THRU AXLE, ALLOY BLACK CROWN, BRACE AND BLADE
    Crankset: LASCO Aluminum 22T / 36T ALLOY BKx175MM
    Bottom Bracket: LASCO 100x1.37
    Pedals: VP BLACK PLASTIC BODY W/STEEL BLACK CAGE
    Front Derailleur: SRAM FD-X7 2x10 HIGH DIRECT MOUNT CL-DDM 34.9 CLAMP+ADP-DDM-100MM
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM RD-X7 SILVER CAGE
    Shifters: SRAM SL-X5 TRIGGER 20-SP BLACK
    Cassette/Freewheel: 11-36T-10 speed
    Chain: KMC X-10 STEEL NP/NP+CL-566R LINK
    Hubs: ALLOY BLACK W/ThruAxle 15mm front, 170mm rear (symmetrical)
    Spokes: 14G STEEL BLACK W/BRASS NIPPLE
    Rims: 26"x32H WEINMANN HL-80 WIDTH 80MM W/BIG HOLES, ALLOY BLACK
    Tires/Tubes: VEE RUBBER 26"x4.0 VEE 8 72TPI
    Brakes: DISC BRAKE W/F:180MM,R:160MM ROTOR
    Brake Levers: TEKTRO ML-520 ALLOY BLACK LEVER W/ALLOY BLACK CLAMP
    Headset: VP-A68E BLACK W/M-1D ALLOY BLACK CAP
    Handlebar: Aluminum W:700MMx9 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK
    Stem: ALLOY 6061 EXT:80MM(15"~17")/90MM(19")/100MM(21")x7 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK
    Tape/Grip: WTB BLACK/GRAY KRATON
    Saddle: WTB SPEED V SPORT SE, BLACK
    Seat Post: Micro Adjust 350MM, ALLOY BLACK aluminum
    Seat Post Clamp: ALLOY SEAT CLAMP
    Sizes: See pull down
    Colors: See pull down
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-bullseye-monster-pro-blu-6.jpg  

Current bikes: 2010 Raleigh Talus 29er with Ergon GP5 grips, Shimano PD-T420 Click'R pedals, Topeak Explorer 29" Disc MTX Rear Rack and Topeak DXP bag.

2013 Walmart Mongoose Beast blue

"Put The Fun Between Your Legs"
    "26" isn't Dead, it just got FAT"
    "I Dream On Two Wheels"
    "Be The Motor, You Are The Engine"

Hooligan

Well, bd came through with the warranty.
    This is exactly what I would have replaced it with. The 34t cog will be super useful with this much traction.
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member

Bluto on a Monster? and upgrades too?

WOW# now that bike is something to save for! when I get my taxes and va disability I can see one in gloss black coming my way! Nice components and sweet fork. Not that I need front suspension, but it will be nice to have for riding on rock gardens and tech sections in the Ozarks. Or should I get it in that electric blue? our '81 Honda Civic was that color and we will name the bike George. "And I will love him and pet him and make him my own." P$EACE the OLDBEAR

mtbr member
    Dawg: Nice to see your got your parts, are you going to break it in soon?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hi, I have been looking at this bike for beach riding - have an uninhabited 8 mile island nearby. Wonder how you think this bike would be on soft sand?

Also I have a gimp leg from an injury and have to step thru the frame. Could you give me the distance from ground to lowest point on top tube?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Depending on the size you want the 18" standover height is 29" and the 16" is 28". They don't make a "womens frame" in that style and the only wat to get that is custom or buy a beach cruiser.
    I have ridden My monster on some sand bars around here and the tires don't dig in like a 26 x 2.5 does. A bike with say 4" to 5" tires will carry you across or into sand buy the dig rate isn't deep enough to slow you down.The Monster comes stock with 4" tires and I weigh 259. My bike perform in sand and loose gravel excellently.
    On that line you might be able to squeeze into one of the Mango bikes a pair of 4" tires. that way it will ride easier over the path you choose. It all depends on your weight and riding style.
    In fact the BD folks stock a few mo0dels of fat bike beach cruisers with 3.5 Veerubber speedster tires that would most likely work for your beach rides.If you are interested in also riding off road on some sweet single track get a Gravity Bullseye Monster. .

Hooligan

While I was waiting for parts I thought I would test out the versatility of the narrow(er) rims, and I must say I like it.

These are some old 2.5s I had kicking around. The pictures don't really do any justice, but the wide rims give them a whole lot of volume and a nice square profile.
    Rides pretty nice. More like a burly skinny bike than a fat, but boy is it quick and responsive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks for the info. - I would step over as close to the nose of the saddle as possible since that is the lowest point- looks like that would be a couple of inches lower,

mtbr member
    I'm really considering the single speed version. This is a a second bike for me, a beater, I realize I might be punishing myself but I really dont want to fall into an upgrade trap. Not that the bike requires it but that I will be super tempted to. I could see it being a good training tool to have a ss and the fat tires will help put a smile on my face while my legs are burning. I realize it will probably be a pain in the butt in the snow with ss but the more i think about it the more I realize I'm not going to be doing climbing in the snow. I'm in SJ, snow is hit or miss here. If it snows I might hit up a local flatish trail or ride it around town for fun. I'm not commuting or trying to climb ski trails or anything

mtbr member
    Ive also convinced myself that the narrower rims are good for ss too as they are a little lighter. Id probably put some 3.7s on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My silver Bullseye Moster shipped and is to arrive Tue. Oh yeah.

mtbr member
    Pasquale: Congrats! Be sure to post pics of it. I have decided to save for a Monster with a bluto and give my matte black one to my son.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks! I will post pics.
    I almost changed the order to a Bluto one, but decided to stay with this. I can always get one with Bluto later and use this one for guests.

mtbr member
    you're welcome. I will probably also use the regular Monster for anyone who comes to visit. Thanks for thge Idea. I can raise or lower the saddle to accomodate people from 5'9" to 6'0'". I will probably order mine in April. It will be the gloss black one. I like black bikes my last four were black except for the dolo.
    I have encounter on little snag with my front wheel, it loosened up am was shifting back and forth when I braked. I readjusted the cones and iot seems to solved the problem. and after 550 miles that'sthe only little problem I have had.
    I am getting new tires in December for a Christmas present . I am going to get 45north huskerdu's.. they seem to be a godn choice for my winter riding. Until the next time Keep the rubber siode down! FRED

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Good report on the Monster! Sounds like it holds up well.

I just looked up that tire since you mentioned it and it does look like a good tread design. Probably good for all year too.

I like Silver, White or Black. So I prob will go gloss black too...once I sell my motorcycle. That may not be until the weather warms up again.

Thanks again Fred

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy69 View Post
    just wondering if any one tried a 100 mm on the front and a 80 on the back. i am waiting for my monster and am very worried about the 50 mm rims didnt see that till after order. want it for snow so any help would be great thanks so much
    Somebody early in the thread mentioned that they did 80mm, but haven't heard on the 100mm front.

For what it's worth, I just finally ordered a new wheelset with 80mm rims for myself. It's hard to beat $140 on Amazon. Check them out! Should be about on par with the quality of the stock hubs/rims but with extra width. I started kicking myself in the ass once we got snow on the ground for not having gone for wider rims in the first place. I'll report back later this week on how the new wheels fit, and Stumpy, I'll be sure to get you some numbers on the front fork clearance with 4" tires and the 80mm.

mtbr member
    What was the issue? Not enough float with the narrower rims? What tires are you using?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    What was the issue? Not enough float with the narrower rims? What tires are you using?
    Yeah, primarily float. My daily commute is about 4 miles of cross-country ski trail, so I definitely started to notice that I wasn't getting as much float as some others, especially once I rode with my buddy on his carbon 907 @ 100mm. I've also been having problems with tire seating - no matter how many times I reset them on the narrower rims the wheel rolled as if the rim wasn't true.

As far as tires go, I've got a 120tpi Nate in back and 120tpi Bontrager Hodag in front. Hoping that the Weinmann's will work for a tubeless setup also.

mtbr member
    so you had problems with the 3.8's seating? that is concerning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    so you had problems with the 3.8's seating? that is concerning.
    It was definitely more noticeable on the Missions, but who knows. Might even just be user error - wouldn't be the first time I managed to butcher an otherwise simple task . Got any tips for getting tires to seat nicely?

mtbr member
    Ha, sorrry, no not really. I claim to be an expert at nothing. I have put a tire on with noticeable kick before but I just took it off an did it again. I couldn't tell you what causes it or how to fix it.

I'm really on the edge with this bike. Its not really about this bike vs another fat bike though. Its more like spend $400 bucks on this as a fun 2nd bike that can be used for a few different things and ride some easier local trails or keep the $400 bucks for w/e else

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Got My Silver Monster.

Anyone Else Like the look of Silver like I do?

Gravity Bullseye Monster-dscf3871.jpg
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-dscf3873.jpg
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-dscf3877.jpg
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-dscf3876.jpg

And where I will take her...
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-dscf3854.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What does everyone think of taking a Monster, putting 80mm wheels on, new stem, new bars, and a new saddle? Better option than just buying a Moto FB4 Comp?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    BTW - this is a size 16in. I'm 5'8.5", My inseam measures 31.5". The standover height on this if you measure where you actually stand over it, in front of the seat, is 29". I could have possibly gone with 14" too for more clearance, but am happy with the 16".
    Last edited by Pasquale; 10-29-2014 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocklax View Post
    What does everyone think of taking a Monster, putting 80mm wheels on, new stem, new bars, and a new saddle? Better option than just buying a Moto FB4 Comp?
    not really/maybe? Take stem, bars, and saddle out of the equation. because those are really just fit things that you are likely to change on any bike. The question is going to be how much are you spending on the 80mm rims? the fb4 you are also getting 9 speed components, shimano over sram (which is a preference) and better brakes. They may not be the best brakes but the novella's suck.

Long story short if you were to upgrade the gravity to the fb4 specs it would be more expensive then just buying the fb4. If you are happy with the gravity specced the way it is and you can get 80mm wheels for less than 200 then sure, do it.

Also keep in mind the fb4 is offset

mtbr member
    Silver is looking sharp, especially with the red rim cut outs.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by porkloin View Post
    Got any tips for getting tires to seat nicely?
    I lay the wheel on its side and pump it up just enough for the tire to hold its shape, then i spin it and watch the bead to see where the low/high spots are on either side. if the tire pressure is low enough, you can push/pull on the sidewall and slide the bead so that it is even all the way around. then when you air it up, the beads pop in evenly. it's tedious and takes some practice, but it works.
    you could also try lubing up the beads with soapy water and airing them up to around 30 psi, just make sure there aren't any outstanding high spots before airing up or the bead might jump off the rim. ive never had that happen on a fat bike, but even with low volume tires, its loud enough to make your ears ring (and possibly merit a new set set of underpants)

mtbr member
    That's a good point. Something I do that I didn't think about when you asked that question is when I put a new tire on (tubed) I seat it and air it up much higher than i would ride it. Like 40 psi. Than I spin it slowly to check it, then I put all my weight on it and rotate it a few inches at a time and keep putting weight on it to make sure its not going to pinch flat while riding

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    just go mine and have to say i am impressed, self-steer is bad till u get on the dirt than it is great. Anyone thinking about drilling the holes bigger with a step drill?

mtbr member
    Does the self steer get better on pavement if you increase the psi?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    yes it does get better but if you drop it down you sure can tell lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Bullseye Monster Gear and tuning question.

Have two questions:

1) My bike has a two gear chainwheel, yet the front shifter is a three gear - is this normal or was I sent the wrong shifter?

2) My chain keeps jumping 2 to 3 times when shifting down from 4th to 3rd. I tried adjusting the "H" when in 1st to make it slightly out board and another time where it is directly inline with gear. It still jumps - meaning that it doesnt go to another gear comopletly but just starts to then comes back to 3rd. It only does this under stress when riding it, not when on work stand. All other shifting is great. Any suggestions on how to tune it to eliminate this?

Crankset: LASCO 22/32T 175MM ALLOY
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM RD-X4-A1
    Shifters: SRAM X4 TRIGGER

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy69 View Post

Stumpy, got my 80mm rims in yesterday and snapped a couple photos. The increase in surface area from the 3.8"/4.0" tires was pretty astounding. The tires look and feel quite a bit beefier on the wider rims. Took it out on the trails today into some deep snow and felt a little bit more floaty.

As far as the 100mm/80mm combo goes, I think it's possible. Here's my front fork with a Bontrager Hodag and an 80mm rim:
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_20141101_124639.jpg

As you can see, there's still quite a bit of clearance there, so I don't doubt that you would be able to bump up to a 100mm. Alternatively, you might be able to run a 4.5/4.8 tire on a 80mm rim.

In the rear, however, it's a totally different story. As akacoke said way earlier in the thread, 80mm with a 3.8 is just about the maximum for the rear. With mine I get chain rub on the tire in the double granny (lowest rear and lowest front), as you can see in this picture:

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_20141101_124626.jpg

I don't mind too much, since the next gear on the rear clears just fine, and I haven't ever used the double granny on this bike since I bought it. Your mileage might vary with other tires though, since the Nate has some pretty burly side knobs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasquale View Post
    Have two questions:

1) My bike has a two gear chainwheel, yet the front shifter is a three gear - is this normal or was I sent the wrong shifter?

2) My chain keeps jumping 2 to 3 times when shifting down from 4th to 3rd. I tried adjusting the "H" when in 1st to make it slightly out board and another time where it is directly inline with gear. It still jumps - meaning that it doesnt go to another gear comopletly but just starts to then comes back to 3rd. It only does this under stress when riding it, not when on work stand. All other shifting is great. Any suggestions on how to tune it to eliminate this?

Crankset: LASCO 22/32T 175MM ALLOY
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM RD-X4-A1
    Shifters: SRAM X4 TRIGGER

Thanks!
    1) My front shifter is the same - I assume everyone got a 3-gear click shifter despite only having two front rings.

2) Is your rear derailleur cable too tight? Also, you won't want to adjust the H or L screws for indexing. Those only limit the horizontal movement of the derailleur (to prevent over or undershifting past the gears themselves) Instead, set your cable tension at a reasonable tightness (probably less tight than you'll want to) then use the barrel adjuster on the handlebars to set the indexing. You're spot on as far as the check goes, just make sure it looks straight in line with the gears. Sheldon Brown's article on derailleur adjustment is pretty good, so I'd check that out.

Derailer Adjustment

Edit: Oh yeah, and make sure your derailleur hanger is tight - mine was loose when it came. That'd definitely result in some autoshifting behavior. And if you get stumped, take it to your LBS!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by porkloin View Post
    1) My front shifter is the same - I assume everyone got a 3-gear click shifter despite only having two front rings.

2) Is your rear derailleur cable too tight? Also, you won't want to adjust the H or L screws for indexing. Those only limit the horizontal movement of the derailleur (to prevent over or undershifting past the gears themselves) Instead, set your cable tension at a reasonable tightness (probably less tight than you'll want to) then use the barrel adjuster on the handlebars to set the indexing. You're spot on as far as the check goes, just make sure it looks straight in line with the gears. Sheldon Brown's article on derailleur adjustment is pretty good, so I'd check that out.

Derailer Adjustment

Edit: Oh yeah, and make sure your derailleur hanger is tight - mine was loose when it came. That'd definitely result in some autoshifting behavior. And if you get stumped, take it to your LBS!
    Thanks so much! I will give those things a try tomorrow and for now read that article.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks pork loin how do u like the new rims let us know how they hold up

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

my future love of my life

check it out just saw the new Gravity Quigley FS FatBikes full suspension
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-quigley_x9-6.jpg  

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by spicinit View Post
    check it out just saw the new Gravity Quigley FS FatBikes full suspension
    Yes, we know. If you want you can start a new thread about it, I know I am personally very interested, but let's keep this thread about the monster so that it doesn't end up like the massive bikes direct thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    dirtdawg,

Thanks for starting this thread and for the ongoing review of the Gravity Bullseye Monster. I was on the fence about getting this bike, but after reading your in-depth reviews and viewing all the awesome pictures, I ended up pulling the trigger and ordered one in silver last night.

Bikes Direct have already shipped and emailed me with a tracking number. Can't wait to get the bike and start riding.

Currently riding a Salsa Fargo but we're expecting snow pretty soon here in Minnesota. The Fargo will not do.

I will upload some pics once I have the bike assembled and ready.

Thanks again! Excellent thread! Ride Safe!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-fat-trail.jpgHey Tuareg - You'll like this bike and the silver looks great. Here is mine on trail...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasquale View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fat on trail.jpg 
Views:	1038 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	937325Hey Tuareg - You'll like this bike and the silver looks great. Here is mine on trail...
    Hi Pasquale! Yes, I saw pics of your silver monster on this post, and that is exactly why I went with the silver! Sweet looking bike!

Hoping I don't have to wait too long for mine to come in. I already got a tracking number from BD, but status shows ready for UPS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Should be quick - be sure to have someone sign for it since signature is required. I think I got mine in only 3 business days from when it shipped. I live in IL and it came from TX.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    [attach=config]937375[/att
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_20141102_162836.jpg  

mtbr member
    Did you paint the rims or are they upgrades?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Yeah I drilled them out bigger painted white and added orange duct tape I really like the white. I did find a set of the same rims already painted white with 3 in tires at bike island after I went through all the trouble. Go figure

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast