Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445 LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,200 of 2210
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016

GBEM RST Renegade Clearance Problem Solved

So, I have an RST Renegade on my GBEM with a 1 1/8 straight head tube with no clearance problems.The Renegade does not hit the downtube. The way I solved the problem was changing the bottom cup on the headset. I bought the origin8 pro 1 1/8 threadless headset off of Amazon for about $30. The bottom cup of the headset is significantly bigger on the origin8 than the stock bottom cup. I didn't bother changing the top cup, because there is no need to. Anyway, I thought I would give it a try. I'm using the crown race that came with the origin8 headset. I didn't have to buy one of the extended crown races off of eBay. The stock one works fine. Here are some pictures of the fork on the bike showing clearance in both directions. Love the fork. Works way better than the cheap Chinese fork discussed above.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-20170106_233329.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-20170106_233304.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-20170106_233245.jpg  

Last edited by littlereddog; 01-07-2017 at 07:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Can the GBM go tubeless on the stock rims?

mtbr member
    Recently, we moved to southern Alabama about 030 miles from the gulf. We had to move because at my age cold winters are no longer tolerated well by mama bear and myself. We left mid Missouri and we need the warmer weather. I took along both of my fat-bikes and we plan to ride the beaches. I found a road close by the house that is sand and gravel. The Pro handles it excellently. Ryback my old GBEM has,the stock pro pedals, while I bought some nice welgo pedals on the pro.
    Until later
    Oldbear and Clan
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pack66 View Post
    Some have tried it without too much success.
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've done it with one layer of gorilla tape, but it needs another layer or two. It stayed sealed for over a week and then went flat in the middle of a ride. I didn't have a tube with me at the time and had to walk 2.5 miles back to my car in snow and cold temps. Make sure you use at least two layers right at the bead seat. The bead needs to fit tightly against the bead hook otherwise you could burp all the air out of the tire. Also, use a tube to seat both beads and then break the seal on one side, take the tube out, put the tubeless valve stem in as well as 2 or 3 scoops of Stan's (or other tubeless sealant). Truckerco cream is another good one. Remove valve core. Air up with a compressor. Shake the sealant around and you should be good. Lots of good videos about DIY tubeless out there. I used Kenda Juggernauts (4.5" folding 60tpi version). YMMV.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You can look up the split Q-tube method. Some have had good success with that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of the GBM as my next purchase after the Dolo. I just want to make sure that whatever I purchase, I can go tubeless right away. The Dolo's stock rims can't, they have no bead seat or way to catch the bead. It's just a straight rim wall.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of the GBM as my next purchase after the Dolo. I just want to make sure that whatever I purchase, I can go tubeless right away. The Dolo's stock rims can't, they have no bead seat or way to catch the bead. It's just a straight rim wall.
    You can't go wrong with a GBEM. My original has 3000 miles on it.
    We call him ryback after the wrestler. I got him in 2014 and now ride his big bright a GBEM Pro. named blue. I just got him before Christmas as a present. (With permission from my wife, mama bear)
    I hope you pull the trigger soon. The Mongoose is not in the same class as a GBEM. About the only suggestion I'd make as far as any changes I'd recommend would be different tires. I put lots of miles on the stock missions, but a friend, Gomez of Fat-Bike.consent me a pair of good tires. My pro now has them they are a Vee x l 4.8" on the front and a Vee hbillie 4.25 in the rear. A bigger ride on the rear might possie but to keep from chain rub I would go only to 4.25"
    Until Later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Oldbear...completely agree that the GBM is miles above the Dolo. Having said that, the Mongoose Argus is not a Dolomite. Completely different animal in my opinion and worth considering. It's not a Walmart bike and has a pretty nice components list. If you haven't seen or read about them, they're worth looking at.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Go with the 4 inch tires, I took my 4.8 minion off the back and replaced it with a minion 4.0...much better. There's no clearance with the 4.8".

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I currently have FBNs on my Dolo with qtubes. They worked great until both tubes flatted. I wasn't able to go tubeless stock, so instead of throwing good money after bad, I'm looking to upgrade.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I currently have FBNs on my Dolo with qtubes. They worked great until both tubes flatted. I wasn't able to go tubeless stock, so instead of throwing good money after bad, I'm looking to upgrade.
    Somehow using balloons for tubes tends to do that!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Pack 66:
    I didn't mean to make it seem that some mongeese are bad. I just wanted to point out that there are bikes that are availible for us out there. The GBEM pro for example, is quite a bit for under under grand. Mine has a bluto in the front and SRAM components of the x-7 group. The brakes are avid bb5's.and it comes with 80mm rims stock. BE says with this package it is valued somewhere north of $2000. Not bad at all. Plus at this price point you can upgrade.
    Olbdar

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Oh no offense taken Old Bear.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Ok fat is buzzin tonight!

mtbr member
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 731
Size:  56.2 KB Wife bought one for me for Christmas, putting it to good use. I don't have a different bike fat to compare it to but it is fun and well built

mtbr member
    Oh no offense taken Old Bear.
    Thanks pack66.
    I started on a dolo. Made some minor mods. Then when I discovered BE and my original GBEM, I had to order one. The original was quickly my main bike. I then bought a GBEM single speed and then i bought my first pro. Unfortunately it was stolen along with my single speed and three other bikes. I wasc left with just my GBEM. But after nearly 3000 relatively trouble free miles, I bought another GBEM Pro. So pack take it from me a fat bike is the wayto go.
    Odbear

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by littlereddog View Post
    I was the same way. That's why I found the 4.7 Vee Snowshoe a year ago. It is only on the bike now because I wore the stock tires down in the sand and now they don't have any traction for the snow. When it is time to replace again, I'll go with 4 inchers. The floatation difference is minimal and only makes a difference in a very limited set of circumstances. You are not going to be riding in deep powder on either and you can ride packed groomed snow the same on both. So, you are looking at a narrow temperature range and snow depth range where the big wide tires makes any difference at all (in my opinion, but ymmv). But, with the big wide tires, you will always have high rolling resistance, no matter the conditions.

By the way, for sand the 4 inchers are great.
    Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    New GBM owner here (well, it's due to arrive next Tues). After reading this post :
    I need a replacement Novatec cassette body
    I'm wondering how widespread this issue is?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    i currently have a mongoose vinson does anyone know if the rst renegade will work with 100mm rims?

mtbr member
    Yes, check the Vinson thread, I have posted recent pictures with my GBM also. I'm running 100mm rims on my renegade with the revamped cream snowshoe 4.5. You could even run a 2XL with some little wear because when I mounted the 2XL it was just 3mm to fit the renegade.

mtbr member
    Somebody who wants a RST renegade suspension fork and a tapered frame jump in to this please. I just got the 16", sorry guys. IF you have the normal GBM you can just swap everything from your bike to the new frame. You just need a thru axle front hub. Best deal in fat bike history.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I'm boss and I know it

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anyone serviced the stock hubs?

I've got a few hundred miles on mine and am assuming they came under-greased just like every other part of the bike.

mtbr member
    My motobecane hubs came in OK, but you always want to check the hubs on an online bike. I've had other BD bikes come in with no grease and overtightened bearings. Only takes 30 minutes, and worth it to make sure the pre-load is good.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    [QUOTE=watts888;13009223]My motobecane hubs came in OK, but you always want to check the hubs on an online bike. I've had other BD bikes come in with no grease and overtightened bearings. Only takes 30 minutes, and worth it to make sure the pre

Thanks for the tip. I'll add this to my build list.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    My motobecane hubs came in OK, but you always want to check the hubs on an online bike. I've had other BD bikes come in with no grease and overtightened bearings. Only takes 30 minutes, and worth it to make sure the pre-load is good.
    Serviced the hubs the other night. Took me more like 30 mins per wheel as this was a DIY first for me.

Hub service and a full wheel build are the only two DIY projects I hadn't previously undertaken on a bike. Crossed hub service off that list.

The bearings and grease looked fine and the bearing preload was fine. Didn't hurt to service them though for my own piece of mind.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hi guys!

First of all, this is my first post in this forum, but it is certainly not my first time here. I bought a BEM a year ago, actually yesterday was my 1 year assembly anniversary. This thread was a HUGE factor in my decision to purchase the bike, and everything has proven true.

I have made a handful of upgrades to my bike: Longer handlebar, shorter stem, new grips, saddle, pedals, tires, a set of Avid BB7s... Im sure I am missing something.

The reasoning for my post, and I am sure its been discussed but I am having a hard time finding it due to sheer volume of posts is the following: I want to convert it to a 1x drivetrain (probably a 10 speed) and want to be sure that I end up with the right parts for the job.
    Can someone who has done the work, or knows the answer lend a hand with providing some help about what items I will need to do the job? Thanks in advance, you guys are great, I've learned a lot from you all already.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeGab82 View Post
    Hi guys!

First of all, this is my first post in this forum, but it is certainly not my first time here. I bought a BEM a year ago, actually yesterday was my 1 year assembly anniversary. This thread was a HUGE factor in my decision to purchase the bike, and everything has proven true.

I have made a handful of upgrades to my bike: Longer handlebar, shorter stem, new grips, saddle, pedals, tires, a set of Avid BB7s... Im sure I am missing something.

The reasoning for my post, and I am sure its been discussed but I am having a hard time finding it due to sheer volume of posts is the following: I want to convert it to a 1x drivetrain (probably a 10 speed) and want to be sure that I end up with the right parts for the job.
    Can someone who has done the work, or knows the answer lend a hand with providing some help about what items I will need to do the job? Thanks in advance, you guys are great, I've learned a lot from you all already.
    What tires did you get? I'm thinking about it but concerned about chain clearance. What upgrade did you think was greatest bang for your buck?

mtbr member
    What level of components are you looking for? $ or $$$$?
    What gear range do you want in back? not a lot of climing or will you need a second job as a billy goat?

In basics at the low end, get a narrow wide chainring in 104B configuration (knockoff narrow wide for about $25), a 10-speed shifter ($10), derailure ($30), chain ($20) and cassette (varies with what you want). Plus new cable and housing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    What tires did you get? I'm thinking about it but concerned about chain clearance. What upgrade did you think was greatest bang for your buck?
    I actually bought two pairs, only because I found a great deal on some tires that more suited my needs. I first got some Kenda Juggernaut Sports and then found a pair of Framed Minnesota 26x4.0s that I'll wanted. Both are great tires, but the Minnesotas are gonna stay on it. The Kendas are for sale now, I'd youre interested

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thanks watts. Given that it's a budget bike, I want to keep the parts on the budget side too, but in the same breath, since I am taking the time to upgrade I would like it to be decent parts that will last.

mtbr member

Bullseye Monster PRO

This is my bullseye monster pro after my Renegade + tapered frame combo for $300. Wheelset $250, everything else pulled from the old parts box. This 16' frame is designed to fit suspension forks, even the Bluto. It feels and rides different than my other fat bikes. I'm loving the look so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_0302.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_0303.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_0307.jpg  

I'm boss and I know it

mtbr member
    Given that it's a budget bike, I want to keep the parts on the budget side too, but in the same breath, since I am taking the time to upgrade I would like it to be decent parts that will last.

Shifter: Basic 10 speed good shimano shifter.
    Shimano SL-M670 Shifter > Components | Jenson USA

Derailure: cheap non-clutch version of slightly more expensive clutched version. I'd go clutch.
    Shimano RD-M610 Rear Derailleur > Components | Jenson USA
    Shimano SLX M675 10 SPD Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Derailleurs | Jenson USA

Bashguard: cause you're removing the largest outer ring to go 1x. Either a bashring or shorter bolts (SRAM has some good ones on amazon for about %7)
    MRP S4 Bash Ring > Components | Jenson USA

Chainring: narrow wide. Either cheap and acceptable quality or high quality
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GRWP6E4...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Race Face Single Narrow Wide Chainring > Components > Drivetrain > Chainrings | Jenson USA

Chain: yea. it's a chain.
    SRAM PC-1051 10 Speed Chain > Components > Drivetrain > Chains | Jenson USA

Cassette: Cheap narrow range or the wide range. If you get the Shimano derailure, you need to use a longer B-screw or limit yourself to the 40T cassette
    Shimano HG81 SLX 10 Speed Cassette > Components > Drivetrain > Cassettes & Cogs | Jenson USA
    Sunrace MX3 10 Speed Cassette > Components > Drivetrain > Cassettes & Cogs | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Watts, you are AWESOME! I know it sounds silly, but Im a bit of a drivetrain noob. This was exactly what i needed. Thank you SO MUCH

Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Shifter: Basic 10 speed good shimano shifter.
    Shimano SL-M670 Shifter > Components | Jenson USA

Derailure: cheap non-clutch version of slightly more expensive clutched version. I'd go clutch.
    Shimano RD-M610 Rear Derailleur > Components | Jenson USA
    Shimano SLX M675 10 SPD Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Derailleurs | Jenson USA

Bashguard: cause you're removing the largest outer ring to go 1x. Either a bashring or shorter bolts (SRAM has some good ones on amazon for about %7)
    MRP S4 Bash Ring > Components | Jenson USA

Chainring: narrow wide. Either cheap and acceptable quality or high quality
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GRWP6E4...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Race Face Single Narrow Wide Chainring > Components > Drivetrain > Chainrings | Jenson USA

Chain: yea. it's a chain.
    SRAM PC-1051 10 Speed Chain > Components > Drivetrain > Chains | Jenson USA

Cassette: Cheap narrow range or the wide range. If you get the Shimano derailure, you need to use a longer B-screw or limit yourself to the 40T cassette
    Shimano HG81 SLX 10 Speed Cassette > Components > Drivetrain > Cassettes & Cogs | Jenson USA
    Sunrace MX3 10 Speed Cassette > Components > Drivetrain > Cassettes & Cogs | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    I actually bought two pairs, only because I found a great deal on some tires that more suited my needs. I first got some Kenda Juggernaut Sports and then found a pair of Framed Minnesota 26x4.0s that I'll wanted. Both are great tires, but the Minnesotas are gonna stay on it. The Kendas are for sale now, I'd youre interested
    Did those tires have noticeably less rolling resistance that the Vee Missions? or was it other traits?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    Did those tires have noticeably less rolling resistance that the Vee Missions? or was it other traits?

Yes, they gained a much easier ride, as well as better traction and did tons to relieve the insane self steer I was getting with the missions. It rides like a completely different bike with different rubber.

mtbr member
    I know it sounds silly, but Im a bit of a drivetrain noob. This was exactly what i needed.
    No problem. If you really want the 11-42 wide range cassette (which I have on my 29er, and it's awesome) easiest to go with a SRAM GX derailure and shifter. costs a little more, but worth it for guaranteed compatability with the big cassettes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    About time I posted a report on my new GBM.
    Bike arrived well packed. No scratches or damaged paint. The paint quality is much better than expected (burnt orange). Very glossy with only a few very minor flaws. In parts box were an extra hanger and a pair of yellow rim strips.
    First item was to have the spoke tension and trueness checked at my LBS just to be sure.
    Next item: upgraded tires to Vanhelgas with Surly tubes. Bare wheel weights (no rotors/skewers):
    F: 1532
    R: 1698
    Redid all cable housings. They were either too long or poorly routed.
    Replaced stem with 90mm. Might try a 100 later.
    Out of the box the bike (18") weighed 37.8 lbs. (bathroom scale method).
    After tire change/stem weight is now 36 lbs.
    Had my first ride (snow) yesterday. Bike worked great! Grip with the Vanhelgas inspired confidence on this first outing. Overall I couldn't be happier with this bike.
    Last edited by cjbigcog; 02-07-2017 at 10:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Somebody who wants a RST renegade suspension fork and a tapered frame jump in to this please. I just got the 16", sorry guys. IF you have the normal GBM you can just swap everything from your bike to the new frame. You just need a thru axle front hub. Best deal in fat bike history.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's a great deal. I paid $375.00 just for the Renegade fork a month ago.

mtbr member
    That was my post btw 😀😀😊

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

suspension fork

bd site says this bike comes with a 44mm headtube or downtube. does it have 44mm tube? I looked thru the forum to see if anyone had tried using the cane creek headset which allows use of tapered fork even tho this is a straight steerer tube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    never mind. bd clarified what i had mistaken for head tube measurement

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valleyredraider View Post
    never mind. bd clarified what i had mistaken for head tube measurement
    And? what did they say? And what version of the BEM is this? They're getting a couple different frames now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    well I got mixed answers. but last one was that when their spec says d/t 44mm, that refers to the downtube and not the headtube. I had gotten confused about his when I saw some of their bikes listed with cane creek vp-a42e headset which I had understood was designed for a 44mm headtube. and thus able to use a tapered fork despite the bike coming with a straight steerer fork. while I am still a little confused I admit due to lack of knowledge I assume the only bikes they sell that will accept a tapered fork have a tapered head tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Head tube on mine measures (approx.) 41.4 mm outside dia.

mtbr member
    I need to improve my chain line on my Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro build. Bikes Direct doesn't show the size of the bottom bracket spindle. I bought a Vp 167 square taper bb and the chain line is horrible. The VP bb with the 137 spindle is too small and will hit chainstay. Anyone knows where to get a replacement?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Anybody know how the newer Bullseye 27.5/29 PLUS size bikes compare to the Monster? They have similar geometry but it looks like the plus bikes are longer in both the top tube and chainstays, and the head tube angle is one degree sharper on the plus bikes. Supposedly the longer stays are to fit the larger tires but people here have fit 29x3" into the Monster frame.. it's weird that all the different Bullseye models have different geometry when they all seem to fit the same wheels

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ Rides View Post
    Anybody know how the newer Bullseye 27.5/29 PLUS size bikes compare to the Monster? They have similar geometry but it looks like the plus bikes are longer in both the top tube and chainstays, and the head tube angle is one degree sharper on the plus bikes. Supposedly the longer stays are to fit the larger tires but people here have fit 29x3" into the Monster frame.. it's weird that all the different Bullseye models have different geometry when they all seem to fit the same wheels
    New Gravity 27.5/29 + bikes?

I am pretty sure the 27.5+ frame is specific for 27.5+ wheels, based on the bottom bracket height (i.e. they didn't just slap some plus wheels on a fat frame). It is supposed to fit 26x4-ish? as well, though (135/170 dropouts). As far as 29+ I have no idea.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis_fx35 View Post
    I bought a Vp 167 square taper bb and the chain line is horrible. The VP bb with the 137 spindle is too small and will hit chainstay. Anyone knows where to get a replacement?
    Check with your LBS. They should be abled to order these pretty easy in a 151mm range. I looked it up once, and it seemed them did 5mm intervals between the 167 and 137 lengths. It's a common VP part, it's just an issue of there are any in inventory out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    New Gravity 27.5/29 + bikes?

I am pretty sure the 27.5+ frame is specific for 27.5+ wheels, based on the bottom bracket height (i.e. they didn't just slap some plus wheels on a fat frame). It is supposed to fit 26x4-ish? as well, though (135/170 dropouts). As far as 29+ I have no idea.

-F
    Yea, that would make sense, but if you look at the geometry charts for the monster vs the plus bikes, you can see the Monster and the 27.5 plus bike are supposed to be designed for a wheel with an outside tire diameter of 740mm

I guess for the 29+ geometry the BB would be lower than on the Monster since the frame is designed for slightly larger diameter tires