Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    well i love this bike but i am going to have to sell it, some unexpected bills came up, i will miss the fatty, it will be a while before i can a ford another
    Last edited by stormscrambler; 12-10-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Hooligan

Re: Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by stormscrambler View Post
    well i love this bike but i am going to have to sell it, some unexpected bills came up, i will miss the fatty, it will be a while before i can a ford another
    Im sorry to hear that. You can't like, sell a kidney or something instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    i wish but they both make stones so no one wants that, i am going to 86 the dirt jumper first and keep the fatty though

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Haven't been on here a while, been too busy riding the bike 20KM a day through this snowy winter! Let's just say the commute has become a fun thing now!

Two things: better 1/2 now wants one (yeah) but this will be a drive down to Montana as BD don't ship directly to Canada.

Not so good: I too have been getting the skipping issue but had put that down to to non-optimal tuning / lube so will check tonight. It's dark on the morning & night rides so maintenance is a weekend / day light thing. So thanks for detailing this!
    The Quiver: Argon 18 Krypton | Kona Hei Hei 29er fs| Motobecane Fly TI 29er ht| Gravity Bullseye Monster Fatty ht

mtbr member
    I haven't been here for awhile because I was recovering from a stroke.
    I was released Wednesday from rehab therapy and was told I could ride anytime I want. So Thanksgiving day I rode for the first time in over three weeks .
    During my 'time off', I put my Monster in the shop for routine maintainence and had the rear casette replaced. It was doing the skipped gear thing and although it really didn't bother me I want my fatty to have a full range of gears.
    Any way yesterday, Friday I finally got to ride the Lion's Club trail for about a hour or so. i had put on new tires just before all this happened (Huskerdu's) and believe me they are really nice! I rode at a moderate pace and those tires hooked up on the leaf covered trail!
    the original tires and tubes went on my handicapped son's bike. ( a walgoose beast)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hey Oldbear, glad you are doing well enough to ride again! Also, thanks for the report on those tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Has anyone hung our Bullseye Monster on a scale? Curious as how it compares in weight to the Lurch (20" Lurch w/o pedals is 38.14lbs on Lurch Lounge)

If anyone does weigh theirs, please also mention what size it is.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasquale View Post
    Has anyone hung our Bullseye Monster on a scale? Curious as how it compares in weight to the Lurch (20" Lurch w/o pedals is 38.14lbs on Lurch Lounge)

If anyone does weigh theirs, please also mention what size it is.

Thanks!
    Ok me, I just threw my 16" Bullseye Monster on a doctor's scale and it comes up as 35.25 lbs and that's with Wellgo LU-B18 BMX Aluminum pedals.

Hooligan

Sorry I haven't reported anything for a while, the semester is in full swing and calculus has been keeping me super busy. We had a white Thanksgiving here in New England and 1200 miles later the bike finally got to see snow for the first time.
    Fatty flotilla.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm really impressed with this bike. Even without nice tires, this thing was kicking ass in the snow and I stayed in the front of the pack for most of the day. The gravity was not holding me back, and proved that it can float and ride snow as well as any of the other bikes. (mostly blizzard's and fat boys, with a muk and a pug)

looking sharp with some white floaters, these tires really bring the bike to life.

watch out for falling trees, the storm left several trails unpassable.
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Hooligan

Happy holidays!

mtbr member

The Monsterm on the Berryman!

Dirtdawg: Neat pictures. I even liked the ornaments hanging on your seat!

I finally got to ride for distance on the Berryman Trail yesterday, The trail is leaf covered and was fairly slick from our recent rains. The New tires, some Huskerdu's hooked up real well during the ride. Our crew consisted of my daughter, middle son, our friend Tom and yours truly. all of us rtode fat bikes and all were Gravity products. Three Monsters and a SS Deadeye Monster. The SS is my early Christmas gift from my wife. We rode ten mile out and ten miles back. My had brought down his Walgoose Dolo and when he saw the SS he wanted to ride it. So we switched off and on and I must say i LOVE THESE BIKES I was really impressed by the tires. Not once Didf they fail me or lose traction on the climbs and not once ddid they wash out on the downhills.

Once we returned home we had a bike cleaning party. We discussed our plans for rides the rest of this month. We are going to ride the KATY Trail next weekend and then the weekend before Christmas we are going to ride ar Binder Lake park up near Jefferson City. To round out the month New Years Day we are going to ride the complete length of the Berryman. My son has a nice van and he is going to bring it down so we can ride point to point.

We are all going to buy new pedals at the turn of the year. Miner are starting to show signs of wear and I am looking for some decent platforms to use. Can anyone recommend any?
    PEACE Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    Hey all,

Thanks to you guys, I have a black Gravity Bullseye Monster scheduled for delivery on Wednesday. I bought my wife a Dolomite as an early Xmas gift, and decided to get myself a fatty, too. Lots of research later, including time here, I pulled the trigger on the Monster.

We tried the Dolomite on the beach today and it was fun. I've hit that same beach many times in the past on my old Treks (7000 and 950) and my Jamis, and the difference the 4.0s make is cool. Three of us tried the bike on the beach and all came back smiling.

I'll be doing some mods over time (I'll put on OnOne Floaters and give my Missions to my wife), and I'll post photos when the Monster hits the trails and beach.

Thanks again, all. Your posts have been truly helpful.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post

We are all going to buy new pedals at the turn of the year. Miner are starting to show signs of wear and I am looking for some decent platforms to use. Can anyone recommend any?
    PEACE Oldbear (aka Fred)
    I got a really nice set from nashbar for like $40, I like them a lot.
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/mProduc...0053_549650_-1

There are even cheaper ones on Amazon but I don't have any firsthand experience with those.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Dirtdawg, great job on the no non-sense write-ups. You're really putting this bike thru the wringer. I don't own a fatbike yet but def like the snow/sand capabilities. Two questions if you can:
    1. In performance, what's your foresight on pros vs cons of adding a Bluto fork besides the extra weight and squish?
    2. What's your take on the bikes handling with a slightly steeper headangle compared to your girlfriends fatbike?

I'd appreciate your input.
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Just got done with my second ride on this. Much better then the first ride. Before I went on my first ride I pumped the tired to what I thought was 10psi. The bike was so hard to handle and I began to wonder if I made a mistake buying it. It felt like the tires were steering against each other. I checked the pressure when I got home and they were at 5psi. Park tool pump was off. Second ride today at actual 10psi was awesome. Very happy with the purchase. I bought it used (3 weeks old) locally. Has a new shims I cassette and specialized lock on grips.

mtbr member
    Anyone got one with a bluto yet? Is the frame different?
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    The frame has to be somewhat different because it has a tapered head tube.

I also have those pedals dirtdawg recommends from nashbar. You can catch them onsale from nashbar with one of their 20% off sales get them shipped for right at or under $40. They are really nice, solid pedals. Nice large platform but a relatively narrow profile and dont weigh a ton. Not going to compare to 100+ dollar set of Spanks but they compare very well to other pedals in the 60-70 dollar range

directionless white male
    Mar 2008
    I went with the single speed. I also went with a small. I'm on the cusp sizewize and bike shops usually put me on a medium which can feel a little big. The small is giving me a little more maneuverability, but I didn't consider crank length would be shorter. (it's been a while since I bought complete.)

What tire pressure are you all running?

For the geargrinders, what ratios do you use most often? Mine came 32/22 and I've riden 32/19 on my 29 for five years and I figured I'd be setting this up that way too but I like the feel of the 22 and I'm sure I will like the ratio even more on snow.

And has anyone flatted out yet? I'm trying to imagine what finding the puncture on these tubes is going to look like. What's a good spare tube?
    Disclaimer: I ride really slow.

mtbr member
    Get a q tubes 2.7 ultralight tube.
    2014 Singular Gryphon
    2013 C-Dale F29 Alloy 2, CAAD10 105
    2005 Jamis Dakar XC Expert
    2014 Framed Minn. 3.0 Bluto

mtbr member
    I was wondering if the 120mm fork bluto changed the frame angles. thats why I was asking about the frame.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Great thread guys....thanks for starting it Dirtdawg. I ordered the black Gravity Bullseye Monster yesterday and got the shipping email today. I am excited but half expect to get a bent fork and damaged derailer. I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully BD has improved the packaging to prevent damage.

I'll post first impressions to this thread. I'm in Western North Carolina with plenty of trails and forest service roads. I forgot to add....I'm an old dude like Old Bear and some of the others here. 57 years old.

Thanks again.

PS....just got my shipping info.....it will be here Monday...that's three business days! It lists the shipping weight as 30 pounds!!! That can't be right can it?

mtbr member
    Ordered mine last Friday. It arrived here (NY) Wednesday. Only thing that keeps it from being perfect is a small dent in the left fork -- not worth making a stink about. I already installed the Ergon GP-5-L grips with integral bar ends. Got some other stuff on order (pedals, fenders, stuff like that).

I told my boss today that I am leaving work early tomorrow to ride the bike for the first time. I'm stoked. I'll be riding with my wife (got her a Dolomite for early Xmas gift). Hopefully, we'll end up at the beach so I can do a sand run.

BTW, it is a 20", and I'm 6', 260. 'Nad clearance is less than I'd like for a singletrack, but I don't expect this bike to see hardcore trails on Long Island.

I'll report on my impressions, and mods as they happen.

mtbr member
    Hi Everyone! I went for a total of 18 miles today. fourteen at Binder Lake up near Jefferson City and four more on a local trail near home.

I helped two new friends put their Monsters together today. I love spinning wrenches on new bikes and there's that rubber smell right out of the box that I crave. Tom came along and swapped out their tires for some Husker du's and put on the new pedals, some VP platforms.

I also received word from a good friend offering my wife, son and I a double wide home in Moab for free. He knows about our situation and has offered to let us live there. He'd like us to move in May but I talked him into letting us move in in October. My wife and I are going to talk about it and give him an answer by January 15th.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Can anyone tell me the axle to crown lenght on the fork? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    Sorry I haven't reported anything for a while, the semester is in full swing and calculus has been keeping me super busy. We had a white Thanksgiving here in New England and 1200 miles later the bike finally got to see snow for the first time.
    Fatty flotilla.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm really impressed with this bike. Even without nice tires, this thing was kicking ass in the snow and I stayed in the front of the pack for most of the day. The gravity was not holding me back, and proved that it can float and ride snow as well as any of the other bikes. (mostly blizzard's and fat boys, with a muk and a pug)

looking sharp with some white floaters, these tires really bring the bike to life.

watch out for falling trees, the storm left several trails unpassable.
    Great Review! Thanks!

I am loving my Gravity Bullseye Monster, I have over 120 miles on it now. Everyone that tries it falls in LOVE with it.

And Holligan, I love the Christmas Decor on your bike!

mtbr member
    Name:  MarnaNewPogies 2014-11-22.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  64.3 KBLet me see if I can upload a photo of the Pogies I made to match my Gravity.

And a Photo of my New Bell Helmet.Name:  MarnasNewHelmet 2014-12-06.jpg
Views: 1854
Size:  85.8 KB

I am loving this bicycle, LOVING it!Name:  MarnaDeronRiverside 2014-12-05.jpg
Views: 1789
Size:  114.1 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I own a Airborne Goblin 29er that is an XC bike. Airborne is an established internet bike company (like BD), so I am familiar with online bike companies and doing my own maintenance. I've done everything I can to make the Goblin more fun... 60mm stem, flat pedals, longer bar, maxis ardents, but 29er wheels just don't feel right on pump tracks or parks for me. I understand that an XC bike is not meant to be agile or used at a bike park. Also, the Goblin is a very nice bike for XC and climbing up long hills.

Anyways, I've been looking for an affordable 26 inch bike for the local pump tracks, dirt jump park, etc... Do the fatbikes belong on the pump tracks or should I just look for a DJ bike / bmx bike?

I'm no pro or anything... I just want to have some fun. I'm not looking to start hitting 5-6ft jumps... I just want to be able to cruise around the pump track, get some air on the jumps and enjoy the feel of a smaller bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Here's my Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro. Cheapest fatbike available with Bluto. 16" frame. Complete stock bike weighs in at 37.5 pounds with pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-uploadfromtaptalk1418538617429.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I last posted. annnnnd was just going to catch up on what's been going on with a lot of you guys.

tmo8853: You relly have a lot of choices when it comes to BD fatbikes. I would say, after 1200 miles on mine, The Monster is holding up really well. I do a lot of off road stuff and have tried to ride trails that are technical. I have even tried to do small jumps with it without any damage to it. By the way Gravity makes a nice singlespeed, the Deadeye Monster that would probably fit your needs for a pump track bike. (I own one of these too,)

Marna: Love those pogies! When is your husband going to go fat? lol you look thinner too!

mercury168: That bike is sweet! I am getting one in March. same color as yours! I am a sucker for black bikes. How does it handle? How is the Bluto?

dirtdawg: How does the mOnster handle in the snow? I read your post and loved the pics.

I am going to be moving to our retirement city, Moab Utah in October. A good friend told us he has a older double wide 4 bedroom home that he wants to give us to live in. We wanted to move back to the desert for the past ten years and we had set a tentative date of September 2017, but, now our dreams are coming to pass early. We will be able to have people come out in March of next year.

UNTIL NEXT TIME..........PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The Monster Pro handles like a monster truck. It doesn't feel quick, but it lets you plow through everything. I love the Bluto. I wouldn't go Fat without it!

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Well my Gravity Monster arrived this afternoon.

I opened the box and carefully scrutinized the forks and deralleur.....no damage. WooHoo!

Everything appeared to be carefully packaged and wrapped with copious amounts of foam sheeting. After emptying the box I did find a few "crumbs" in the bottom of the box. I have no idea where they belong so it's no biggie.

There was a scratched area on one of the tubes but I'm willing to accept that.

I had it assembled in about 45 minutes. Brakes are adjusted and stop the bike well. I'm still playing with handlebar and seat height.

This bike will be used primarily to facilitate my photography hobby as well as getting me to some isolated trout streams.

Lastly.....I put it on the scale....36 lbs. (20-inch frame). I am a 33-inch inseam and have about an inch 'nad clearance.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

I took a second look....the small bits are off the sacrificial spacer that is clipped into the fork to prevent damage. I guess it did it's job. The cap...I have no clue where it might go.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by TMO8853 View Post
    I own a Airborne Goblin 29er that is an XC bike. Airborne is an established internet bike company (like BD), so I am familiar with online bike companies and doing my own maintenance. I've done everything I can to make the Goblin more fun... 60mm stem, flat pedals, longer bar, maxis ardents, but 29er wheels just don't feel right on pump tracks or parks for me. I understand that an XC bike is not meant to be agile or used at a bike park. Also, the Goblin is a very nice bike for XC and climbing up long hills.

Anyways, I've been looking for an affordable 26 inch bike for the local pump tracks, dirt jump park, etc... Do the fatbikes belong on the pump tracks or should I just look for a DJ bike / bmx bike?

I'm no pro or anything... I just want to have some fun. I'm not looking to start hitting 5-6ft jumps... I just want to be able to cruise around the pump track, get some air on the jumps and enjoy the feel of a smaller bike.
    if you just want a pump track bike then get a pump track bike. you can find used DJ and BMX bikes for way cheaper than these fatbikes anyway. the fat tires are too soft and squirrely when youre pumping hard and in the berms. the outer diameter of the tires is about 29" anyway, so youre not really at any advantage there either. on a pumptrack, i look for low standover and a short wheelbase. i ride a 20" bmx on the pump tracks and dirt jumps and i love it.
    the beauty of a fat bike is that it can go anywhere, but if youre just gona ride the pump track i think you would be much happier on a bike built for it.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post

dirtdawg: How does the mOnster handle in the snow? I read your post and loved the pics.
    It handles great in the snow! on par with the pugs and muks ive ridden (that cost 3x as much).

also, I love Moab. thats where my profile picture was taken. i would love to take a fat bike on slickrock, it would probably stick like glue to that sandstone. Seems like a great place to retire, I will have to come visit you

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I just ordered my 14" matte black Gravity Bullseye Monster today! As I've read in the thread...carefully inspect the derailleurs, fork, and consider repacking the bearings. Anything else?

This will be my first non-road bike, so I'm pretty psyched. Up until now, I've trained through the Winter (upstate NY) on my rollers/trainer, so I'm excited to get outside and ride all year-round!

mtbr member
    The more I ride this bike, the more I like it. When you're leaving work early to go ride a bike, I think that's a good sign.

I took it on the beach for the first time today. Wow. It just motors along.

The bike now has a front mud guard, rear rack/bag, handlebar bag (it handles much better without that, though), and the Ergon grips with bar ends.

I'm eager to put more miles on it, but the days are too short right now (and there's the whole two jobs thing).

There are some photos on my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/bob.muller.99Gravity Bullseye Monster-20141216-heckscher.jpg
    Bob Muller
    Trek Farley 5
    Gravity Bullseye Monster
    Trek CrossRip Elite
    Jamis Exile
    Trek 1500

mtbr member
    dirtdawg: You will be welcomed with open arms. We are excited about the move.

I am glad that everyone is enjoying their fatties. I will get to ride in snow for the first time this season this weekend. I know a lot of people complain about snow and 2" seems to shut down everything in this state. I come from the Chicago suburbs and we only gotm out of school due to snow when the sn ow hit 6"+.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

I'm excited and having a blast on the Monster. I did notice on occasion that the chain would slip in one of the lower gears when under load. Upon closer look I noticed some of the sprocket teeth were irregular in shape. I'm a total noob to this and attributed it to an out-of-tune situation. Anyhow...I'm wondering if this is just a cheap gear cassette or possibly a flawed part. Can you all take a quick look and let me know if this is messed up before I contact Bikes Direct?

Rear sprocket

Front sprocket

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Survivor

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Okay....thanks....I checked the link....but are the irregular teeth on the sprockets normal?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Rear cassette is junk contact bikes direct and they will send a new shimano replacement. They are awesome at service I had the same prob

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Thank you! That's kinda what I thought.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Any other Monster owners have these substandard sprockets? Seems to be a quality control issue to me. It makes me wonder what other inferior parts are on the bike.

Still....I'll be happy with the purchase if BD makes good on the parts. I sent the email last night w/photos.

Meanwhile.....the bike is parked.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Just go buy a shimano cassette for $15! That's what I did. If they send you a replacement then you have a spare.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Look like ramped cogs to me. They're shaped that way to help the chain on and off while shifting.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Thanks for your feedback. That makes sense. I just looked at some Shimano cassettes and they have the same irregular pattern.

mtbr member

Moab

DIRTDAWG: i have to post here because for some reasonj I can't send you a message Of course I was serious. We could put you up for as long as you'd like.
    On another note, I have shingles. been off the bike for a week. Once the itching stops and the rash goes away I will be back at it strong. I just can't wait.
    Moving to Moab will be great for Sue and I. when we lived up in Price we didn't get sniffles and colds as much because of the dry air and clean air. Right now although they say it's a minor symptom of the shingles, my nose runs like a faucet. I have to take Benadryl anbd I get so sleepy. But once I move I won't be taking it.
    Georgia drifter: I had some problems with my stock casette but BD replaced it for free. It skipped in the mid range, and replacment took care of it.
    Well everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Pedalin' New Year.

Until later---------PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

Hooligan

Thanks OldBear! I look forward to it
    I'm sorry to hear that you have shingles, I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you are back on the bike soon.

In other news, the green fairy strikes again, this time with some sweet flat pedals
    Attachment 949006

They go pretty nicely with the paint on the bike.
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-uploadfromtaptalk1419227289371.jpg

Can't wait to go scatch them up, my Nice things never seem to stay that way.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I bought my girlfriend one of these for Christmas (gave it to here early).. Foe the money it looks great! I had to do some derailleur adjustments and the brakes need to bed in, but it rides pretty nice..

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Just got mine yesterday!

Just got mine yesterday! 2 rides in and totally loving it. Very impressed with the bike (the price point is insane!). This is near the Flying Dog Trail near Park City, Utah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_0080.jpg  

Hooligan

Ermahgerd grrrn!

Gravity Bullseye Monster-uploadfromtaptalk1419400594113.jpg

Still a work in progress, but I'm pretty stoaked about the footprint that the 80mm rims provide. Yet to come: green cable housings, different grips, and a brand new drivetrain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-uploadfromtaptalk1419400662535.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Ermahgerd grrrn!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419400594113.jpg 
Views:	1385 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	949619

Still a work in progress, but I'm pretty stoaked about the footprint that the 80mm rims provide. Yet to come: green cable housings, different grips, and a brand new drivetrain.
    Looks great! How much clearance is there in the back between the tire and the chain?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    After reading all these posts on the Bullseye and doing a ton of research I am so stoked to get my 2015 Gravity Bullseye Monster. Should be here on Friday. You all were extremely helpful to a newbie rider as far as all the tech talk. I am 5'8" 155 so I went with a 16, I think it was the right call after testing a 17. Have a ton of trails in CT that my golden retriever and I cannot wait to hit.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Merry Christmas everyone. I too am thankful for all the guidance....especially this thread. Larry from BD sent me an email with tracking number...replacement cassette is on the way. Add another vote for a happy Bikes Direct customer.

I had a great ride this past Saturday. No snow up high but fun nonetheless!

mtbr member

Loving it more and more

Gravity Bullseye Monster-20141225_114759-1_resized.jpg

Took another ride on the Monster today. The only problem I am having is that 6th gear skips and slips (I have ordered a Shimano cassette). Everything else is perfect. The brakes are setting in, the seat is comfortable...

I took it on the really soft sand at Jones Beach the other day, with 11-12psi, and it did okay unless I turned (I had the pressures up for paved trails and the boardwalk).

So far, this $500 bike was a steal. Thanks again for all the info that helped me decide to get this bike. Merry Christmas, all.
    Bob Muller
    Trek Farley 5
    Gravity Bullseye Monster
    Trek CrossRip Elite
    Jamis Exile
    Trek 1500

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mercury168 View Post
    Here's my Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro. Cheapest fatbike available with Bluto. 16" frame. Complete stock bike weighs in at 37.5 pounds with pedals.
    Any updates? How do you like it after you've had it a few days. I have a lady friend interested in this but in a 14". More pictures would be awesome cause it looks a 100% better than that photochopped picture BD has up for this model.
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Ermahgerd grrrn!

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419400594113.jpg 
Views:	1385 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	949619

What wheels did u get and what brand are the pedals. I want some

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy69 View Post
    What wheels did u get and what brand are the pedals. I want some
    The wheels were a cyber Monday deal throug bikes direct, they called them boris wheels and gave no details. and the pedals are wellgos, I got them as a christmas present.

EDIT: here is a link to the wheels: Save Up to 60% Off FatBike, MTB, Road, Lifestyle Bicycle Bike Wheels for Bicycles, Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, Hybrid, Comfort and More Save Up to 60% Off New Bikes they are the second ones down on the left
    Last edited by dirtdawg21892; 12-30-2014 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Dirtdawg, I have been following this thread and the Dolo thread for a while. I decided on the Dolo myself, but with those 80mm wheels it looks like you have a whole new bike!

I like it, keep up the good work!

mtbr member
    The Monster continues to prove itself to be a great all-around bike.

There was some slippage in first gear on hard climbs today, but the new Shimano cassette is already on the way. Hopefully, that will cure the only complaint I have about the bike.

I just wish we'd get some snow...

Gravity Bullseye Monster-photo-5-.jpg
    Bob Muller
    Trek Farley 5
    Gravity Bullseye Monster
    Trek CrossRip Elite
    Jamis Exile
    Trek 1500

mtbr member
    Got mine for Christmas! Fork was a little bent out of the box,not bad. Straightened it in the vice. Came with the back wheel installed wrong, had to readjust the bearings. Did a full tune up x4 actually shifts on par with the slx on my full squish. Hit all gears out of the box but the limit screws were not adjusted at all (open on both sides). Switched the pedals to wellgo flats. And an old shorter post and saddle that I like. Have some bb7s on my old hard tail, thinking about trading but will see when these bed in. I ordered hussefelt stem and bars the ones that came on it are terrible! I'm wider than the bars on it now. So far it rides great! Really all the changes are typical fit things that I expected. Running tires at 9 front and back seems perfect. I'll post some pictured when the bars and green raceface grips come in!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    New to fat bikes and have been following this thread for a bit. I see this bike comes with 50mm wide rims. Also saw someone mention that 80mm would be better. Why is that?

I'm looking at this bike for primarily riding in the snow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Gravity Bullseye Monster

I love riding my monster, but just wondering how this bike actually compares to say Fatboy, Pugsley, or any other middle to high end bike. Does anyone have experience with these other models? I'm starting to wonder if I need to upgrade already. Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    New to fat bikes and have been following this thread for a bit. I see this bike comes with 50mm wide rims. Also saw someone mention that 80mm would be better. Why is that?

I'm looking at this bike for primarily riding in the snow.

Wider rim= larger footbprint with the same size tire. Smaller Rim= more choices of tires (you can even run some DH tires on the 50mm rim). This is great in the summer!

You can run big tires on the smaller rim, it just may not have as much control as if it were on the larger ones. (relying more on the rubber for lateral forces).

Honestly, unless you are riding in deep powder and VERY picky the stock rims and tires on this bike are fine. I would say this setup would work for 99% of people if they didnt spend their days on here reading how much better things could be for another few hundred dollars. (the fun to money ratio just doesnt make sense).

I rode mine on the VASA in northern MI last week in the snow with stock wheels and tires at 9PSI and it was a blast. The Missions were fine and I didnt feel like I was lagging behind the group because of equipment (I was lagging behind the group because those jerks are fast.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNicholls62 View Post
    Wider rim= larger footbprint with the same size tire. Smaller Rim= more choices of tires (you can even run some DH tires on the 50mm rim). This is great in the summer!

You can run big tires on the smaller rim, it just may not have as much control as if it were on the larger ones. (relying more on the rubber for lateral forces).

Honestly, unless you are riding in deep powder and VERY picky the stock rims and tires on this bike are fine. I would say this setup would work for 99% of people if they didnt spend their days on here reading how much better things could be for another few hundred dollars. (the fun to money ratio just doesnt make sense).

I rode mine on the VASA in northern MI last week in the snow with stock wheels and tires at 9PSI and it was a blast. The Missions were fine and I didnt feel like I was lagging behind the group because of equipment (I was lagging behind the group because those jerks are fast.)
    Thanks. That makes sense now.

mtbr member
    Dirtdawg: Did you shorten your chain out of the box? I have a ton of chain slap. It sure seems like the spring in the X4 is strong enough to keep it tensioned.

Hooligan

Dirtdawg: Did you shorten your chain out of the box? I have a ton of chain slap. It sure seems like the spring in the X4 is strong enough to keep it tensioned.

No, however I did wrap the chainstay with an old inner tube after the first ride. I was getting some serious chain slap, but its fairly normal for me so I wrap the stay on all my bikes.

Hooligan

As I come up on the 6 month mark since receiving my bike, I have 1500 miles on it and still love it. I went and took it on a beach for the first time on Saturday. 10 miles of sugar sand did in the old cassette, but it was far overdue anyway.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1419876261830.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  36.5 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1419876317290.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  49.8 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1419876354417.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  28.2 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1419876395498.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  31.8 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1419876425886.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  33.2 KB
    It was a lot of fun, and I'm sure that I will log more beach miles in the future.

We road in the woods that day too.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1419876632921.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  59.9 KB

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam. I currently have a Trek 3 series bike with 19.5" frame that fits me real well. So would I go 18" or 20" frame with the Gravity Bike?

DirtDawg...What 80mm rims did you install on your bike?

With the possibility of riding this bike more in snow than anything else I was looking at the 45NRTH Vanhelga tires, but they only fit on 65-102mm rims. Unless someone knows of similar tire that would fit on the 50mm rims that come with the Gravity.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by twentyniner29 View Post
    I love riding my monster, but just wondering how this bike actually compares to say Fatboy, Pugsley, or any other middle to high end bike. Does anyone have experience with these other models? I'm starting to wonder if I need to upgrade already. Thanks in advance
    ive ridden most of them, and in my opinion it holds its own very nicely. on page 1 of this thread i compared it to the pug.

Hooligan
    I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam. I currently have a Trek 3 series bike with 19.5" frame that fits me real well. So would I go 18" or 20" frame with the Gravity Bike?

DirtDawg...What 80mm rims did you install on your bike?

With the possibility of riding this bike more in snow than anything else I was looking at the 45NRTH Vanhelga tires, but they only fit on 65-102mm rims. Unless someone knows of similar tire that would fit on the 50mm rims that come with the Gravity.
    the rims are DHL80's, they come stock on most of the BD bikes.
    And i wouldnt worry about the 45NRTH tires not fitting on the 50mm rims, it will be fine. i like the way the Vanhelgas look, nice and aggressive. should handle real well in the snow but ive never ridden them. However i do have experience with the Nates and can assure you that they do real well in the snow.
    People forget that at the end of the day, it comes down to rider ability more than anything else. obviously a good set of tires helps, but they will not magically make the bike unstoppable.

*EDIT* i would go for the medium 18". youre only slightly bigger than me and i cant imagine comfortably riding anything bigger than the 18.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'0 34" inseam and the 20" fits me nicely. I could probably even go down to 18. For comparison, my Jamis 26er is a 19.5. I would definitely not go bigger than the 18, prj71.
    Bob Muller
    Trek Farley 5
    Gravity Bullseye Monster
    Trek CrossRip Elite
    Jamis Exile
    Trek 1500

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbird99 View Post
    I'm 6'0 34" inseam and the 20" fits me nicely. I could probably even go down to 18. For comparison, my Jamis 26er is a 19.5. I would definitely not go bigger than the 18, prj71.
    +1... Im 6'0" 32" inseam. Got the 18" its perfect. 20 would be too big for me. Good news is you can easily and cheaply sway out the stem to longer or shorter to help with the fit.

I really dont see a reason why those tires wouldnt fit the 50mm rims... maybe they just started at 65 because its more popular?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    5'7", 31" inseam and got the 16". Fits perfect. I would not want any bigger.

mtbr member
    I haven't written for awhile, but, here goes. I run Husker Du's on my 50mm rims with no problem. As far as size goes, I am 6' 11" and ride an 18".
    Dirtdawg: Love the picks pf the greenj machine! And the beach ones too.

Georgia drifter: Keep on Riding and posting!

As far as comparing fat bikes, my monster rides just as good as a Trek Farley. It is the only one I have test ridden so far. I am hoping to test ride a few others in Sedona at the Mountain Bike Fest.

Until tomorrow-------------PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbird99 View Post
    There was some slippage in first gear on hard climbs today, but the new Shimano cassette is already on the way. Hopefully, that will cure the only complaint I have about the bike.

Name:	photo (5).jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	950842
    Depending on how many miles you have on the chain, I would replace that too. Mine was junk after like 500 miles. No sense running a new cassette with an old chain, the skipping will only get worse.

mtbr member
    Depending on how many miles you have on the chain, I would replace that too. Mine was junk after like 500 miles. No sense running a new cassette with an old chain, the skipping will only get worse.
    Thanks, Dawg. I have less than 80 miles on it, and only maybe 18 that have been at all abusive. If I change the cassette and there are any issues, I'll get on the chain right away. Thanks again.
    Bob Muller
    Trek Farley 5
    Gravity Bullseye Monster
    Trek CrossRip Elite
    Jamis Exile
    Trek 1500

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just finished putting mine together.
    Wheelset came in from BD in TWO delivery days!
    Had to call and have them "hold for pickup", as we were still in MI for the holidays.

I was GIVEN this frame!!! (will send Mike a carbon seat/storage for his training bike)

Tried to take pics of the upgrades, (parts bin) and purchased stuff. Camera phone battery is turning off the phone when I take shots. (new phone time)

Replaced;
    stem....Nashbar 90mm 106g's
    bars.....Easton EC70's 45 bucks at Bluesky (bought 4 sets for stock at that price!)
    levers...TRP carbon
    seat......Sella Italia SLR
    post....old USE Alien carbon from a road bike frame in the shed (barely long enough)
    grips Spec. clamp-on (added 1 g each over stock but I cut them off)

180mm front rotor (TRP)
    TRP 160 rear
    135/170 wheelset from BD with "free" rubber (120tpi folding)
    Almost pulled a new set of Spykes out but will try the cheapo brakes/shifters.

The weight reduced from the parts swap was 1lb 9oz.

I would not have tried a fat bike if my good friend hadn't bought the 2 bikes.
    This will make a great winter/snow bike and my wife wants to take it to the dunes in SW CO, (in the spring).

Now if a customer wants a fat bike. I can recommend they go for it!

Only went for a short ride tonight. Threw on gloves/hat and just tried it.
    The brakes do feel really weak? The snow is deep and hardpack mix.

Will try to break them in before using any new parts.

Also bought 26x3.5 tubes for spares,
    digital gauge,
    Blackburn HV pump,
    cage.

Will work on carbon tool boxes and fenders.

WHAT A BLAST!
    JM

mtbr member
    Dirtdawg... I've been wanting to get a fat bike for awhile. Long winters in Central Canada get pretty boring. After researching and checking the LBS the gravity bullseye ranks on par as a build with the Norco 6. 3 which costs almost $1200 Cdn.
    So after reading your posts I decided to order the monster. Have to drive to ND to pick it up but its still saving me $500. Doing the basic upgrades, wide bars short stem and better pedals.
    Thanks for the detailed build and test post. Always helps me make a decision when I hear a real riders opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hey! New member here.

SO I just got one of these from Bike Island w/o a fork/crown race for a good deal. I emailed BD to ask about the stock fork measurements and they don't know (?!?!). Could anybody measure at least their axle-to-crown with the stock fork? I'd be forever grateful! I'm thinking of a Moonlander/Pugsley fork but I just want to be sure it'll work right. Then again, it's not like there are a lot of options for budget aftermarket forks...

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by bermboy View Post
    Dirtdawg... I've been wanting to get a fat bike for awhile. Long winters in Central Canada get pretty boring. After researching and checking the LBS the gravity bullseye ranks on par as a build with the Norco 6. 3 which costs almost $1200 Cdn.
    So after reading your posts I decided to order the monster. Have to drive to ND to pick it up but its still saving me $500. Doing the basic upgrades, wide bars short stem and better pedals.
    Thanks for the detailed build and test post. Always helps me make a decision when I hear a real riders opinion.
    No problem! I'm glad that I could help.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by rycolos View Post
    Hey! New member here.

SO I just got one of these from Bike Island w/o a fork/crown race for a good deal. I emailed BD to ask about the stock fork measurements and they don't know (?!?!). Could anybody measure at least their axle-to-crown with the stock fork? I'd be forever grateful! I'm thinking of a Moonlander/Pugsley fork but I just want to be sure it'll work right. Then again, it's not like there are a lot of options for budget aftermarket forks...
    I will measure the fork tonight, but my guess is that any normal (non-suspension corrected) fork will work fine without significantly changing the geometry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I will measure the fork tonight, but my guess is that any normal (non-suspension corrected) fork will work fine without significantly changing the geometry.
    That'd be awesome! And yeah, I'm really not expecting too many issues. I'm really only looking at the Pug/ML fork and the Salsa Enabler. After that, they are all just too expensive to throw on a sub $500 bike. I'll basically just go with whatever is closer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rycolos View Post
    Hey! New member here.

Looks like 450mm (didn't pull the wheel) Guessing at 45-48 offset.
    465-485m should be fine. The HT angle "looks" steeper than the 71 degree (claimed)

JM

mtbr member
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-image.jpgWidened the wingspan today! What an improvement!
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-image.jpg
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Oops that last photo is before...

I think it's funny that the stock bars and stem come with a sticker on them that say not for downhill or rough off-road use... The hussefelts sure are! Still waiting on my green raceface grips to come in... I'll be done for a while.

Another note.... The crank arms looks like they come from the same casting as my older raceface ride cranks (2007) from my hard tail... They are identical except the bottom bracket type. raceface does outsource their lower line stuff...

mtbr member
    Has anyone determined if a 29+ tire will fit on the Bullseye Monster?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Monster shots

Only measured the weight of the Easton bar. No downhill or big hit riding for me.

Happy Holidays!

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMagic View Post
    Looks like 450mm (didn't pull the wheel) Guessing at 45-48 offset.
    465-485m should be fine. The HT angle "looks" steeper than the 71 degree (claimed)

JM
    My measurement agree, im getting 445mm. Anything in that ballpark should be fine.

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Oops that last photo is before...

I think it's funny that the stock bars and stem come with a sticker on them that say not for downhill or rough off-road use... The hussefelts sure are! Still waiting on my green raceface grips to come in... I'll be done for a while.

Another note.... The crank arms looks like they come from the same casting as my older raceface ride cranks (2007) from my hard tail... They are identical except the bottom bracket type. raceface does outsource their lower line stuff...
    Careful or your bike is gona end up exactly like mine... Awesome.

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Monster shots

Only measured the weight of the Easton bar. No downhill or big hit riding for me.

Happy Holidays!
    Hmm, looks like the bike changed a lot. Really digging that color, are 80mm rims and v8's standard equipment now?

mtbr member
    Monster shots

Happy Holidays!
    I really like that darker green your bike came in.

mtbr member
    Careful or your bike is gona end up exactly like mine... Awesome.
    Sometimes there is just a right way of doing things...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm very interested in buying a Bullseye but am worried about tire width. I will be riding in snow 99% of the time and think the first thing I would upgrade on the bike would be to bigger/wider tires. How wide of tires can the Bullseye handle? The bike comes with Vee 4.0 tires and a Bluto for and am thinking of buying Bud/Lou tires. Would those tires fit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hmm, looks like the bike changed a lot. Really digging that color, are 80mm rims and v8's standard equipment now?
    Got a free frame from a friend with only the original 650b+ rear wheel.
    Ordered the wheelset from BD because I could not find listed weights on the better sets available. And wanted 26x4's.

Changed the front rotor size to 180, (TRP rotor),
    rear is still 160

JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I would bet the 4.5's will fit this frame.
    There is 1/2" on either side at the rear.
    A little less at the front.
    With the 170 rear hub, you might have to ditch the granny?

JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Marna_Kazmaier View Post
    I really like that darker green your bike came in.
    It's funny. When my buddy said it was "green". The green hater in me was preparing an excuse NOT to take a "free frame offer"?

When he pulled it from the box, I was quite pleased with the shade.
    The brighter one above doesn't bother me either.

JM

mtbr member
    It's funny. When my buddy said it was "green". The green hater in me was preparing an excuse NOT to take a "free frame offer"?

When he pulled it from the box, I was quite pleased with the shade.
    The brighter one above doesn't bother me either.

JM
    Where did he acquire the frame?
    I bike with tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks for the measurements, guys.

One more question: I'm a bit confused about this rear disc hub/front disc hub stuff on surly forks. If I get a surly fork that is meant for a rear disc hub, will this pose a problem with the Gravity front wheel?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cardnation View Post
    Where did he acquire the frame?
    He, like so many others, bought the orange, slightly higher spec model with 26x4's.
    After weighing the front wheel ( a whopping TEN lbs!). He ordered the second Gravity Monster for the 650b+'s.

His other frame is the Motobecane with the 135 offset rear. He built up an offset wheel with the 650b Dually rim.

Now his Moto frame has both wheels that fit.

He looked into a return from BD. 20% re-stocking fee PLUS that huge box they use is another 229.00 to ship!!!???

So, for a 500 dollar bike, he would have netted 180 bucks.
    He is the kind of guy that has way more than 10 bikes and would let someone borrow one for any length of time.

He is one of my sponsored riders.
    He kept the 650b+ wheels and gave me the frame. Tried to just pay a "fair market price" for it. If he would have bought a second wheelset (hindsight?), it would have cost him closer to 349 for the offset rear.

I am sending him a seat w/tunnel and fender to compensate. Was gonna swap that seat anyway. But it would be a 475.00 (retail) value. My cost time and materials would be closer to 200.00.

Everybody (especially me) is happy with how it worked out.

Funny thing is, He doesn't mind the weight (when riding in snow) of the heavy tires.
    Now he has both options for winter training and has been riding 12-15 miles per/day since he got the Moto. in Nov.

JM

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast