Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I am happy with the overall capabilities of my Monster and how it performs off road. I might swap out the tires for a lighter one and swap out the pedals too as the parts wear out. I have close to 300 miles on mine and have no complaints about how she handles except for the fact that my front brake occasionally squeaks. LOL And 5the tires are going to last me most of the winter depending how much snow and ice we have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    How do you guys feel this stacks up against the Boris x5? it looks like the rims are smaller on this gravity? Any regrets?
    I'm hoping to upgrade the rims eventually. I honestly just wasn't sure how much of a difference the 50mm vs. 80mm would be. For the time being I'm just going to roll with the 50's and see how they do. Tires profile seems plenty fat compared to my hardtail. Granted, when I run into the bike shop and see the Surlys and Salsas I get a tad envious of the ~5", but really I don't see the rim size being a major buzzkill or anything. If I could go back I might consider getting the Boris instead, but I'm happy with what I've got.

Just took mine out grouse hunting last night - I keep finding new uses for this beast.

mtbr member

What a drag!

You never know how much you miss riding until health sidelines you, even for a short time. I had a mini stroke, TIA, and can't ride until Saturday. Meanwhile I am getting ready to order a pair of wellgo pedals and maybe lighter tires and tubes to put on later this fall. My Wife keeps telling me how soon I can ride but it seems like an eternity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-20140925_164827.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-20140925_164744.jpg

Here are pictures of two four inch tires one on my gravity a 50 mm the other on my beast which is a 100mm. The difference is big. My 80s came in yesterday as soon as I get the hubs and laced I will post pictures of them.

I ride on the beach and am looking forward to the snow, hence the reason I am upgrading the size of my rims. With that said, my gravity is my primary bike and the 50s make it very fast on the street. They aren't bad on the sand, I like them on trails, I was just looking for more flotation this winter. I also came across a deal that was way too good to pass up. I would not worry about what others spend on their bikes, and would echo the above posts, I feel like I got way more than what I paid for.

mtbr member
    Well I did not read very carefully... I am in pre-order status and bikes are not shipping until mid-end of Oct

So with that I changed my order because I had been looking at the Boris X7, and now I am waiting on my Burnt Orange Boris

mtbr member

Enjoy your ride.

Tequilasunset: I hope you enjoy your ride. i am still looking for a rear rack for the Bullseye Monster. I want to get one so I can get rid of the back pack I now use to transport items from the store an use grocery paniers.

Hooligan

Re: Gravity Bullseye Monster

Took a trip up to millstone in Barre vt this weekend. The fatbike stuck to the big steep rocks like glue

It was a perfect fall day, the leaves are starting to turn, and its nice and cool

Locomotion

The New trail is a lot of fun, its called the angry gnome and has a ton of bridges like these.

top of a big climb

Overall the fat bike was great on the steep rocky tech stuff that makes up about Half of millstone, the other side is a lot of roots and winding trails thay left me wishing I had a lighter suspend bike. Normally I dont mind pushing the fat around, but it was a Long day. Lots of fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member

I have roots in Barre!

My roots go back a long way in this country and My Great Grandfather worked in the Barre granite quarries. Dirtdawg, your pictures make me want to visit New England again. I am riding daily on my monster on the local trails and it hand les great. I have set my PSI at 8psi front and 12 rear. It is the optimum for me on both pavement and dirt. I hope that all is well with everyone on the thread as we head into a new month of fat adventures. Peace

mtbr member
    Welp, pulled the trigger on this. Was looking at a cheap fat bike to work on over the winter, and this seemed to fit the bill a little better than a Walgoose. Now we'll see when the heck this thing ships....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnmusic View Post
    Welp, pulled the trigger on this. Was looking at a cheap fat bike to work on over the winter, and this seemed to fit the bill a little better than a Walgoose. Now we'll see when the heck this thing ships....

Mid to end of Oct, congrats

mtbr member
    The waiting game begins!!!

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    My roots go back a long way in this country and My Great Grandfather worked in the Barre granite quarries. Dirtdawg, your pictures make me want to visit New England again. I am riding daily on my monster on the local trails and it hand les great. I have set my PSI at 8psi front and 12 rear. It is the optimum for me on both pavement and dirt. I hope that all is well with everyone on the thread as we head into a new month of fat adventures. Peace
    Thanks OldBear! All is well over here. School is keeping me really busy, but I have been getting out for bigger destination rides on the weekends. I'm trying to enjoy fall as much as i can before the leaves come down and it gets cold.
    Next weekend is a big MTB ride that i do every year, i'm planning to take the monster. It's 30 miles of the most brutal and technical trails in the area, and the fat bike will make that an even bigger challenge. should be a great time, i'm really excited!
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Someone calm my mind here, as I'm getting buyers remorse after not seeing a lot of reviews up about this bike. Any issues with frame strength? Any issues at all so far? I have like 3 weeks to fret about this now.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnmusic View Post
    Someone calm my mind here, as I'm getting buyers remorse after not seeing a lot of reviews up about this bike. Any issues with frame strength? Any issues at all so far? I have like 3 weeks to fret about this now.
    None whatsoever.
    I can almost guarantee that i ride it harder than you will, and it has held up wonderfully. it's seen 800 miles worth of drops, jumps, and really rough terrain and I have nothing bad to say about it. Hands down the best $$ to fun ratio i have ever had on any bike, period.
    Sorry if that doesn't make the wait easier, but i can safely say that it's the best $500 I have ever spent.

mtbr member
    Eh, that helps. Not so much for me anyway, as much as for my GF. We're splitting a 2014 Pug right now, but splitting a fat bike isn't that fun.

Agreed on the riding harder part, although I'm more worried about the brutal Midwest winter we're supposedly in for.

mtbr member
    Woodnmusic: I own a Gravity Bullseye Monster. I tip the scales at the Doctors office at 269lbss. I ride my fatty over some trails locally and it has not failed me yet. There is no noticeable flex in the frame and the wheels seem pretty durable. I have almost 400 miles on mine and the tires still have the little 'spikes on the side nobs. By the way when I started cycling again in July I weighed in at 308. That's a 39 pound loss. My Doctors is happy, my Wife is happy and I am happy and getting fit.
    So get your fat bike and enjoy. PEACE. Oldbear52

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Woodnmusic: it's incredible bang for the buck, probably the best there is right now. Relax, it's all good. I got into this wanting to try a fat bike without spending the big coin. Turns out I got a great bike & will be spending lots of time in winter riding out side!
    The Quiver: Argon 18 Krypton | Kona Hei Hei 29er fs| Motobecane Fly TI 29er ht| Gravity Bullseye Monster Fatty ht

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Milstone is a blast, we just moved to the area this past year, spent every other day on the trails with my 26'' ironhorse.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_3864.jpg

the granite is sweet, hope to hit up the angry gnome you posted pics of before the season ends

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_3866.jpg

Really wanna try a fat bike this winter but I was looking between this and the Dolomite. It seems either way you have to expect $150-$200 in upgrades for either bikes because of bars/tires$$$/shifters/gearing on the dolo. Also looks like lots of people have drilled their wheels for weight savings. This tread makes this bike sound nice though.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by momikey View Post
    Really wanna try a fat bike this winter but I was looking between this and the Dolomite. It seems either way you have to expect $150-$200 in upgrades for either bikes because of bars/tires$$$/shifters/gearing on the dolo. Also looks like lots of people have drilled their wheels for weight savings. This tread makes this bike sound nice though.

I have to disagree, I put a lot of miles on the bike before upgrading anything, and to this day the only upgrades have been preference. Personally I think it's totally ridable right out of the box (unlike the dolo). I like wide bars and a short stem, so I swapped on a set that i had kicking around. in this case it didnt cost me anything, but even if i went out and got a high dollar fat bike, i would be making the same changes because they dont sell a fatbike that is set up to my preferences.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I get what your saying, I guess with any of these fat bikes you need a separate set of tires, for snow as compared to trail riding, is that right? I still see people adding rapid shift/rear cassette with bigger short gears/and a cup BB for only about $50, and with having a whole fleet of 26'' bikes for the summer Im trying to justify buying one of each (Gravity) for me and the lady to buy for just a winter bike be around $1000.

mtbr member
    I Have to Agree wholehearttedly with dirtdawg on this. The monster is a good bike right out of the box. You really don't need to change a lot of expensive components unless you want too. I only plan to replace my pedals right now. Maybe the tires come spring. But the other parts will only be replaced when they wear out or break. My drive train will suffice until It no longer functions likewise the wheelset. Really the Gravity Bullseye Monster is a great value for the price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So is this bike just a 29er version of the bike in this thread:
    Save Up to 60% Off 29Plus, 27Plus Fat Bikes, Mountain Save Up to 60% Off New Bikes

I don't know much about fat bikes.

Hooligan

Well, I Survived the big Kahana in the pouring rain on the fat bike, however the bike didn't fare so well...
    In a nutshell, the drive train exploded. Not pictured is the 32t sprocket, which also folded so that it can't hold a chain anymore. Since it has a bash, I know it isn't because I hit it on rocks. This is just a matter of the gears folding under the torque required in the big ride.
    The 22t and other 7 gears on the cassette still worked fine, so I managed to finish the ride without any more issues. Despite the equipment failures (which I'm emailing bd about) it was an awesome ride
    slippery skinnys

Glouster is often referred to as little moab

mtbr member
    found this on angry gnome

The Angry Gnome - YouTube
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

Hooligan
    Not even 24 hours later and bd is sending warranty parts my way. I can't say enough good things about them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    Not even 24 hours later and bd is sending warranty parts my way. I can't say enough good things about them.
    That's awesome! How many miles would you say you've got on your Monster now?

Biding my time debating between the Monster and X5.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Just ordered a Bullseye Monster in 16" in Silver.

Can someone tell me if these come with presta or schrader valves?
    Also want to order Wellgo replacement pedals, do I get the 9/16" or a diff size?

New to fat bikes and new to this forum and new to MTB. Glad to be here.

Thanks

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Pasquale View Post
    Just ordered a Bullseye Monster in 16" in Silver.

Can someone tell me if these come with presta or schrader valves?
    Also want to order Wellgo replacement pedals, do I get the 9/16" or a diff size?

New to fat bikes and new to this forum and new to MTB. Glad to be here.

Thanks
    Comes with Schrader tubes. And yes standard 9/16 pedals.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by aClockworkJake View Post
    That's awesome! How many miles would you say you've got on your Monster now?

Biding my time debating between the Monster and X5.
    Im coming up on 900 miles.

Hooligan

Apparently bikes direct found my thread!

mtbr member
    Pasquale: welcome to the world of fat biking! I am sure you'll enjoys it! Are you sure you ordered a Monster in silver? when you get your bike, post some pics of it. By the way the pedals are 9/16. I haven't been on here for a while and I think it's neat to see some new blood. I took my Monster on a 40 mile trip on a rails to trails site called the Katy Trail state Park. It is an old railway right of way that runs from around St. Charles Mo. to Sedalia Mo. You can make a family vacation out of riding it. It is around 250 miles long and cuts through the center of the state. It is flat so climbs aren't an issue and there is camping sites, Both private and state along it. We rode west on it from Columbia Mo0. twenty miles and turned around. The Monster performed great and now it's closer to 500 miles on it since July.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks Dirtdog and oldbear.

Yes - they now are offering Bullseye Monster in silver along with the green and matte black.

I'll have to keep Katy Trails in mind if I visit MO. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Oldbear - you reminded me of the Katy Trail I used to run along in Uptown Dallas when there on work trips! I never knew but thanks to wiki now and your post it's origins. Sounds awesome.

I took my Monster on a 40 mile trip on a rails to trails site called the Katy Trail state Park. It is an old railway right of way that runs from around St. Charles Mo. to Sedalia Mo. You can make a family vacation out of riding it. It is around 250 miles long and cuts through the center of the state. It is flat so climbs aren't an issue and there is camping sites,
    The Quiver: Argon 18 Krypton | Kona Hei Hei 29er fs| Motobecane Fly TI 29er ht| Gravity Bullseye Monster Fatty ht

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    Fatty exploring a newly constructed lake. This place is a hidden gem begging for new trails. The Monster is still riding strong since June. I have ridden it everywhere including a 52 mile journey of mixed trails, highway, back roads, and gravel roads to 3 beautiful lakes around the area. I absolutely love this bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-bono-14.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input guys, but I decided to cancel my BD order for a Bullseye Monster. Just too many questions with no answers is the main reason. Other things I had time to consider were (in no particular order) the good standing relationship I have with my LBS and their crew, the reliability+R&D behind the current Pugsley that I own, and the type of trail riding I do.

I remember seeing a bent rim earlier in this thread, as well as chunking Vee tires, and some other things that I personally don't think you should be dealing with in the first few months of owning a bike. I'm not knocking the Bullseye Monster by any means, but it's not really my cup of tea.

Even though I'm picking up a Pug Ops today, definitely keep posting about this bike. I'm interested in seeing how it wears over time. It may just be the next Motobecane (generally, the most accepted of BD fat bikes).

Thanks guys! Enjoy the fats!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    [QUOTE=dirtdawg21892;11339516]After 200 miles of abuse, the bike is still holding up from the most part.

I am so glad that the bike came with a bash, I have been thankful for it almost every time I ride it.

I like that bash guard! Just checked the other fat bikes on BD and looks like this is the only model with that feature. Thanks posting a picture of it because the description on specs only describes it as a chain cover. Bash guard better describes it. I've had chain covers made of plastic.
    Last edited by Pasquale; 10-12-2014 at 05:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Dawg did you ever post up a weight on this bike? I'm actually eyeing the Deadeye version. Also curious how you feel about the rims being 50mm? I know they aren't the lightest or strongest rims out there but curious if the owners of this bike wish they had wider rims?

mtbr member
    LOVE THIS THREAD! I did not see it before today....last night, we ordered my GREEN Gravity Bullseye Monster. You guys have me chomping at the bit for it to arrive.

I am 57 y/o and overweight with lung issues. Can't help it/Can't stop the feeling, I want a Fatty to ride on Snow! (I used to be a Sled Dog Racer) I have been researching the Fatties for a while now. I have ridden the Dolomite, around Walmart, yes, really, and higher dollar Fatties on test rides at and around Bike Shops. I really shopped to find the best Fatty for me and my situation (we ride Mt Bikes 25 - 42 miles per week) I am pretty sure that the Green Bike coming my way.....IS IT!

mtbr member

Excellent Choice!

Marna: You have made an excellent choice! I own one in matte black and have nearly 500 miles on it. I too am overweight, 262 lbs on a 6'1" med frame. Since I returned to cycling I have lost 46 pounds. Also My heart has become more functional. I am a congestive heart failure patient with diabetes type 2 and arthritis in my arms and knees. But cycling has helped with conditions too. So when you ride, ride for the pure enjoyment of it. You'll discover that the scenery is prettier and that you'll discover things you have never seen before. Old Bear52

mtbr member
    Thank you Old Bear 52,
    My husband and I Used to ride bicycles over 1000 miles per year, but had not in about 16 years. Our "good" and touring bikes are in storage in WI, we are in NW SD. So, this Spring, we bought Genesis 29" Bikes and have been riding almost every single day. I ride the Stationary Bike when it rains here.
    Exercise and riding my bicycle has sure made me healthier again too!
    THANKS FOR YOUR POST!
    I can not wait for my Green Monster to arrive!

mtbr member

BD customer comments.

Dirt Dawg: I was just looking at the BD site. I saw your comment on the Monster, and your post on it. ( I reread It for the second time), If you look above yours you'll see a comment by OB. It's me! I think it's funny that I never noticed it before. I like how BD pays attention to what we say. I am one of three fat bikers in this town that ride daily and the other two ride BD Gravity Bullseye Monsters. We meet once in a while out on the Lion's Club Trail Seems some MTN bikers around here like to poke fun of those on fat bikes until they get passed in loose gravel/sand. lol I guess they've never ridden one yet. PEACE. Oldbear

mtbr member

Have Monster, will travel.

I just spent three hours with a good friend from Kuwait who is graduating in December, He is getting a bullseye monster in silver after he got to ride mine around a lake near his apartment. Then he tells me that in November he is giving us his car, a 2004 Crown Victoria. He doesn't want to ship it home and wants us to have it because he doesn't want to ship it home. He says near his home theres lots of beach and sand dune riding he wants to do and his current Mtn bike just won't cut it.
    And so this brings me to the point of this post. Oldbear and his wife, Sue are going to take some trips that we haven't been able to do for about 15 years. First is Sedona in early April. We want to spend a week there and soak up some desert sun and warm our bones from the Midwest winter. Of course the Monster will be going with to get some sand and redrock dust on it. Next in May, we plan on attending the Dirt Fest in Pennsylvania. I hope that registration open soon so we can reserve a houseboat for my wife, son and I. I am personally looking forward to riding some of the excellent trails around the area and attending the bike expo and some skills clinics. then for the last week in September and first week ion October we plan on heading west again to out personal mtn biking Mecca, Moab #

Utah. It's almost 20 years since we have been there and we want to look fir a house or manufactured home to but so we can 'retire"' out there. If not in Moab proper maybe out in the area near Lasalle.
    Plus if the VA gets it act together and gives me my disability, I hope to own a Gravity full suspension fat bike.
    Soooo if you attend the Dirt Fest, and see a
    gray bearded old fart on a well used black Gravity Bullseye Monster wearing a florescent green shirt and plaid baggies.
    It's most likely me!
    (of course Moab should be on almost everyone's bucket list)

the Oldbear Fred Peace

mtbr member
    Is dirt fest at ray's town lake? If so those trails are great and you will love it. I've never been to the event but did a camping trip there last year.

mtbr member
    hankscopio: That's the one! The last time I was in Pa. was 1981at Gettysburg, for a Civil war reenactment.

mtbr member
    Obviously tons of good trails in PA but Raystown is really nice if you are into flow and not looking for really steep technical trails (which there are plenty of nearby if you are into that) Ray's town was machine cut so its pretty smooth and while it out in the mountains there isn't a ton of climbing. Oldbear how do you feel about the rims on your gravity? Do you wish they were wider?

mtbr member
    I haven't really given the rim situation much thought. But Yes I wouldn't mind an 80mm rim that would work with the tires and hubs without too much hassle.

mtbr member
    I just spent three hours with a good friend from Kuwait who is graduating in December, He is getting a bullseye monster in silver after he got to ride mine around a lake near his apartment. Then he tells me that in November he is giving us his car, a 2004 Crown Victoria. He doesn't want to ship it home and wants us to have it because he doesn't want to ship it home. He says near his home theres lots of beach and sand dune riding he wants to do and his current Mtn bike just won't cut it.
    And so this brings me to the point of this post. Oldbear and his wife, Sue are going to take some trips that we haven't been able to do for about 15 years. First is Sedona in early April. We want to spend a week there and soak up some desert sun and warm our bones from the Midwest winter. Of course the Monster will be going with to get some sand and redrock dust on it. Next in May, we plan on attending the Dirt Fest in Pennsylvania. I hope that registration open soon so we can reserve a houseboat for my wife, son and I. I am personally looking forward to riding some of the excellent trails around the area and attending the bike expo and some skills clinics. then for the last week in September and first week ion October we plan on heading west again to out personal mtn biking Mecca, Moab #

Utah. It's almost 20 years since we have been there and we want to look fir a house or manufactured home to but so we can 'retire"' out there. If not in Moab proper maybe out in the area near Lasalle.
    Plus if the VA gets it act together and gives me my disability, I hope to own a Gravity full suspension fat bike.
    Soooo if you attend the Dirt Fest, and see a
    gray bearded old fart on a well used black Gravity Bullseye Monster wearing a florescent green shirt and plaid baggies.
    It's most likely me!
    (of course Moab should be on almost everyone's bucket list)

the Oldbear Fred Peace
    VERY KOOOOOL! AND GOOD FOR YOU!

I wanted to ask you if I could repost your first post to me about your health and how you have improved it with riding a bike on my Bicycle Blog at Does My Butt Look Big In The Saddle - Front Page as well as send it in a post to a Yahoo List I host with the same name?

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    Dawg did you ever post up a weight on this bike? I'm actually eyeing the Deadeye version. Also curious how you feel about the rims being 50mm? I know they aren't the lightest or strongest rims out there but curious if the owners of this bike wish they had wider rims?
    I never got a chance to weigh it, and now that it's been modded it wont be a super accurate number. many others have it now though, somebody must have weighed it when it came out of the box. i'm gona stand behind my previous estimate of 34-35lbs, but if sombody has a real number, speak up!
    and on the wider rims note: i really like the way it handles on the trails with the slightly narrower profile. it makes the tires taller and offeres a bit more protection for the rims. that being said, i have been looking into building a second wheelset with 80mm rims for the winter, because i want more engagement and as much float as i can get.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. Actually considering the ss version also. Or kicking out a few more bucks for the fb4 comp

mtbr member
    Marna: I am not that computer savy to repost It. I will keep on writing and posting here if you see something you can print it out and put it on your blog and yahoo. com page. It's kinda hard when they only thing this laptop does is act as a portal to the web.
    On the bike front we are going to order a Gravity Bullseye monster for my oldest son who has autism. He can ride a bike and deserves one of these for himself. We are ordering in March cuz we gotta save for it. It will be a green 16 inch. He's currently riding a walgoose beat and keeps wanting me to lower the seat on mine to ride it Then the next bike is for my wife next fall after her surgery to remove a tumor. Your Humble Obedient Servant, OldBear

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast