Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
Results 2,301 to 2,349 of 2349
    mtbr member
    Mud shovel and different pedals

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Are these set up so as you can run mechanical disc brakes?

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by LPRoad View Post
    Are these set up so as you can run mechanical disc brakes?
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Well my L.T.D. fat bike is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, (Monday).. GREAT..
    The bad news is I own my barbershop, which is where the box is being shipped to. I'm closed tomorrow !! CRAP
    I will try calling them in the early morning to see if I can pick it up at their location instead.
    Worse case scenario I'm hoping they will make another attempt to deliver it on Tuesday..
    Gettin' close now...

Thanks, Barber

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Switched a few things

Went tubeless with the mulefut wheels, added a 42t cog, 180mm ice tech rotors, and made some fenders. Really happy with how she rides now, went from 35.6 lbs to 33 lbs, 2.4 lbs of rotating weight is noticeable. Extra gearing gets me up some steep hills and more stopping power is awesome when coming back down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-bikepart1.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-bikepart2.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-bike7.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-bike9.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Took the gbemxx to the local bmx trail with my boxer penny  yes, I need a to get a helmet. Looking at getting a giro montaro now.
    https://youtu.be/fILC7UFCbOA
    https://youtu.be/wxGVah-ZH9o

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Picked up a set of Avid BB7 180mm breaks for my GBEM, the noname breaks on my sons bike are OK but he feels like they could be better so I decided to 'upgrade' my breaks and move the Novella's from by GBEM to his bike.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting them installed.

The issue I am having is I am not able to get the break calipers to adjust outboard enough.
    The rotor disk is rubbing on the outboard(actuating) side of the caliper and I cannot get it adjusted far enough out.

Are there thinner caliper mounting adjusters? (the part that mounts to the fork/frame and adjusts the position for 160 vs 180 rotors)
    Or am I going to have to take the mounts to a grinder and take some material off?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    When i went from 160 to 180 rotors with my shimanos, i had to get post mount adaptors. If they didnt come with them- Maybe something like this for your avids? Sram/Avid Disc Post Mount Spacer Set | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilSmrk View Post
    The issue I am having is I am not able to get the break calipers to adjust outboard enough.
    The rotor disk is rubbing on the outboard(actuating) side of the caliper and I cannot get it adjusted far enough out.

Are there thinner caliper mounting adjusters? (the part that mounts to the fork/frame and adjusts the position for 160 vs 180 rotors)
    Or am I going to have to take the mounts to a grinder and take some material off?
    The mounts are pretty much a universal size thickness wise, so there isn't much to do there. The brake calipers themselves should have plenty of adjustment room to slide out though. They are made with an ovalized bolt hole. Plus you can adjust the inside and outside pad positions on BB7 with the big red adjustment knobs on the brake arms.

I'd recommend reading the avid BB7 setup instructions again and following their instructions, especially concerning pre-adjustment of the pad knobs.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    These might also help - amazon.com - Birzman Clam Disc Brake Gap Tool

As it sounds like the rubbing you're describing is side to side (rotor to side of caliper)??? Maybe they're not properly centered??? Just throwing ideas out there.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks for the suggestions but the issue I was the disks were rubbing on the caliper body themselves.

I was unable to get the calipers centered on the disk.

I had watched the videos suggested before starting.

I ended up taking the mounting spacers and grinding down the side of them to move the calipers farther out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilSmrk View Post
    I ended up taking the mounting spacers and grinding down the side of them to move the calipers farther out.
    That's what I did too. Improvise, adapt and overcome.

mtbr member
    Possible upgrade time. Fat suspension
    Has anybody had any experience with the Whool or Pasak fat forks? I've seen a couple posts about the spring cartridge version with 28mm stanchions, but they seem to be the same as a suntour XCT. OK fork, but a little flexy under a clyde. There is a 32mm stanchion air cartridge version that I'm looking at. If you have one (or want to buy one and be a test dummy), speak up. Here's a link to one of them, but there are other sellers out there.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kalo...796974016.html
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N1JX29B

cross posted to a couple of the other non-lbs fatbike discussions.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Possible upgrade time. Fat suspension
    Has anybody had any experience with the Whool or Pasak fat forks? I've seen a couple posts about the spring cartridge version with 28mm stanchions, but they seem to be the same as a suntour XCT. OK fork, but a little flexy under a clyde. There is a 32mm stanchion air cartridge version that I'm looking at. If you have one (or want to buy one and be a test dummy), speak up. Here's a link to one of them, but there are other sellers out there.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kalo...796974016.html
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N1JX29B

cross posted to a couple of the other non-lbs fatbike discussions.
    The general consensus on these forks is,

You get what you pay for.

Most will say that there are reasons why a Bluto or Mastodon are so much more expensive and to spend anything less than that is a waste.

I am likely going to skip getting one of these cheaper forks and either live with the bike as it is or save up for a different bike that comes with a suspension.

The other thought was to save up for a Lefty fork sense it is easier to set up with the straight head tube.
    But this will likely be just as expensive to set up as getting a new bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Recently joined the BEM club as well.
    Wanted a daily driver for my local sandy trails.

Had a piles of parts laying from other bikes upgrades I tossed on it first thing.

Current condition.
    Shimano 2x10 xt drivetrain (might go 1x soon)
    TRP slate t4 hydraulic brakes (still 160mm need new bracket for the 180s)
    Answer pro taper 780mm bars
    raceface 45mm stem
    raceface chester petals

Have put about 30 miles on it this week so far and its going well.
    Its amazing how much better it rolls on loose surface than my trail bike.

Next it to decide if I want to do the gorilla tape tubeless conversion...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-bem.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Welcome! Gbem is looking great, enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Has anyone changed out the headset? Like an upgrade to cane creek? The only reason I’m even asking is when I tore the bike apart to have it painted those bearings did not look the highest quality but I do not know if I would even notice a difference

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jereemk View Post
    Has anyone changed out the headset? Like an upgrade to cane creek? The only reason I’m even asking is when I tore the bike apart to have it painted those bearings did not look the highest quality but I do not know if I would even notice a difference
    you should share the paint job, how did it come out? I was thinking about that myself. As far as the headset goes, I think you'd need to be a pretty great rider to tell the difference. I have 1500 miles of singletracks on mine and it is as tight and smooth as the day I bought it. I am not a Red Bull rampage star rider by any stretch, but my home trails are so rooty I feel like I am holding on to a jackhammer. I'm sure a better rider might feel the difference but for a middle-of-the-pack guy like me it is holding up pretty well. There are other upgrades that would be a higher priority for me. I am only upgrading what breaks and I'll eventually just upgrade the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPmtb View Post
    Took the gbemxx to the local bmx trail with my boxer penny  yes, I need a to get a helmet. Looking at getting a giro montaro now.
    https://youtu.be/fILC7UFCbOA
    https://youtu.be/wxGVah-ZH9o
    Make sure you keep the visor screws tight on that helmet or you will lose them. That's what happened to me. I ended up using a small metal screw.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    you should share the paint job, how did it come out? I was thinking about that myself. As far as the headset goes, I think you'd need to be a pretty great rider to tell the difference. I have 1500 miles of singletracks on mine and it is as tight and smooth as the day I bought it. I am not a Red Bull rampage star rider by any stretch, but my home trails are so rooty I feel like I am holding on to a jackhammer. I'm sure a better rider might feel the difference but for a middle-of-the-pack guy like me it is holding up pretty well. There are other upgrades that would be a higher priority for me. I am only upgrading what breaks and I'll eventually just upgrade the bike.
    I get it back this week. Ill send pics when i get it.

mtbr member
    Has anyone changed out the headset? Like an upgrade to cane creek?
    The stock bearings are OK, and with grease and proper adjustments, they'll last a long time. If you really want to upgrade, a simple upgrade is the FSA Hammer. Basically the same as stock though.

If you want to be adventurous, toss the caged bearings and go 100% loose. Just get some loose bearings from your LBS. Top cup is easy, bottom cup is a pain to assemble with loose bearings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-8daae17b-98f1-4715-a312-3b8032f7faba.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-e42bf70a-e4e2-4b42-9869-ff45557879a3.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-1a4bffad-71f1-44a8-82ff-980013d22875.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-2c248c9e-b22d-4b74-8f84-b4b01b636598.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-0af53c50-5006-4751-b200-6e38482e353b.jpg

Power coated. Very similar to waterloo blue

mtbr member
    Nice powder coat job.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    That looks great jereemk.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Looks great!

mtbr member
    Power coated. Very similar to waterloo blue
    ...or Park Tool blue. In all seriousness, it looks great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Looking for opinions on the 2018 GBM Comp:

Save Up to 60% Off Front Suspension Equipped Fat Bikes, BullsEye Monster COMP Fat Mountain Bikes

Seems like a great price with suspension fork which looks to be one of the more desirable upgrades to the Renegade. Thinking about going for an 18" (I'm 6'1'") as I'd rather go a little smaller on the Fatbike and gain more versatility for other riders in my family that are a little shorter.

I also plan on trail riding it with very little snow / sand, so like the idea of the front fork.

Anyone have one of these? Willing to share any likes/dislikes about it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Are you replacing a fat bike? First one?

The shock is obviously cool but these things ride super without one too.

I thought I’d buy one within a month of getting the bike and am perfectly happy still not having one. But I’m not saying that I’m obsessed with my crmo fork.

I am 6’2”. I bought the 20” and love it

mtbr member
    Are you replacing a fat bike? First one?

The shock is obviously cool but these things ride super without one too.

I thought I’d buy one within a month of getting the bike and am perfectly happy still not having one.
    I second this. I ride in the Midwest. It's good without the suspension fork

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I rode one without suspension in Puaula Ubin last weekend on up to double black diamond. I would agree a fork is not absolutely necessary, however, I want this to be a way to even out skill on slightly more difficult terrain between my son and I to help him progress.

Plus for a few extra $100 I get a bike that can serve as an entry level trail bike as well. This will be my first fat, but am highly suspicious it won’t be the last!
    Last edited by roughster; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Looking for opinions on the 2018 GBM Comp:

Save Up to 60% Off Front Suspension Equipped Fat Bikes, BullsEye Monster COMP Fat Mountain Bikes

Seems like a great price with suspension fork which looks to be one of the more desirable upgrades to the Renegade. Thinking about going for an 18" (I'm 6'1'") as I'd rather go a little smaller on the Fatbike and gain more versatility for other riders in my family that are a little shorter.

I also plan on trail riding it with very little snow / sand, so like the idea of the front fork.

Anyone have one of these? Willing to share any likes/dislikes about it?
    I have the bike with Renegade fork (fork/ frameset off of Amazon purchase)

Originally I was going to cannibalize the fork for a different frame, but was sufficiently impressed with the frame that I purchased a second one and built it up.

For all the historical bad rep that RST gets, it's actually a very nice fork and has performed flawlessly for me under all kinds of riding conditions. RSTs customer service is nonexistent, but if you can live with taking a chance on this fact, the forks on-line reputation has been generally very positive. If you are planning on riding anything other than groomed trails, it will save you a lot of bodily wear and tear. I probably wouldn't ride my fat bike as much during the non-snow months if I hadn't gone with front suspension.

Without looking at what you'd be getting on the BD build, I can't comment much further. I guess if I had to change one thing about it, it would be to make the head tube angle a little more slack. It feels a little steep for the riding that I'm doing, though it's easy enough to compensate by changing up my riding position.

I built up a 16" frame with a 1 X 10 (11-26) transmission. You'll be limited to 4" tires since it's got a 170 mm spaced rear.

I got the small frame as my dedicated 'girl friend' bike, but it's adequate for me at 6' 1" for anything other than long distance riding. It actually performs well for slightly more technical riding since the smaller frame is much more nimble than the large that I typically ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Okay, I just pulled the trigger on the 2018 GBEM Comp. It can always be a spare / loaner bike at that price. Took 3 extra days to get it from FedEx. Not sure how your local FedEx service is, but in Vacaville out of the Fairfield field office, it is atrocious. Assembled it last night and took it on its maiden voyage this morning. Here are my thoughts:

- At 6’1, I can easily “fit” on the 18” frame but it makes it a little twitchy. If I was buying it solely for my bike, I would go 20” for sure.

- Assembly was easy. Just watch the video on YouTube and it all comes together fast. Took about 30 mins end to end to assemble and another 15-20 adjusting brakes and for shifting.

- I dont have a low pressure gauge so had to eyeball / squeeze guess the tire pressure. A gauge will come in tomorrow so I’ll check and see how close I got to 10F/12R psi.

- Self steer is crazy on pavement. Like “hey look a squirrel” and a self attempt at a 90 degree turn. I rode a different fat bike 2 weeks ago without the issue, so probably the tires.

- I am used to wider bars than the stock on the GBEMC. I will definitely upgrade the bike to a wider set. They felt really narrow / “tight”.

- Dropper post upgrade is a must! All my other bikes have dropper posts. Riding this morning without one felt terrible!

- The brakes leave much to be desired. Even after tweaking and optimizing, they take a death grip to lock up the tires when up to speed. I rode some pretty steep sections this morning and they worked well enough, but if I didn’t know the trail I would have been a little sketched.

- The bike climbed a lot better than expected though it is quite a bit heavier than my Giant. I actually cleaned a climb this morning first go that I usually struggle on.

- This thing absolutely “floats” grass bumps/hummocks, cow post holes, roots, and other minor trail aberrations. Like crazy awesome so it is super easy to get speed and keep it. I actually launched a few spots on the trail that normally I don’t because I was carrying a ton of speed.

- I would say this bike is actually a pretty capable descender. The shock up front helps with hand vibration but the brakes requiring a death grip causes fatigue. With new brakes, this would be sweat!

Overall impressions:

- We’ll worth the cost. At less than $700, I have no buyer remorse. This bike will get a lot of use. On my maiden voyage I KOM’d 4 segments and got my 2nd best time on another. Of course these are private segments, but shows the bike certainly is not a hindrance when it comes to speed and time with a same rider / skill.

I am going to ride this bike exclusively over the next few weeks, go on vacation, then when I get back make the decision if it’s time for a full squish fatty for my main bike!

mtbr member
    Okay, I just pulled the trigger on the 2018 GBEM Comp. It can always be a spare / loaner bike at that price. Took 3 extra days to get it from FedEx. Not sure how your local FedEx service is, but in Vacaville out of the Fairfield field office, it is atrocious. Assembled it last night and took it on its maiden voyage this morning. Here are my thoughts:

- At 6’1, I can easily “fit” on the 18” frame but it makes it a little twitchy. If I was buying it solely for my bike, I would go 20” for sure.

- Assembly was easy. Just watch the video on YouTube and it all comes together fast. Took about 30 mins end to end to assemble and another 15-20 adjusting brakes and for shifting.

- I dont have a low pressure gauge so had to eyeball / squeeze guess the tire pressure. A gauge will come in tomorrow so I’ll check and see how close I got to 10F/12R psi.

- Self steer is crazy on pavement. Like “hey look a squirrel” and a self attempt at a 90 degree turn. I rode a different fat bike 2 weeks ago without the issue, so probably the tires.

- I am used to wider bars than the stock on the GBEMC. I will definitely upgrade the bike to a wider set. They felt really narrow / “tight”.

- Dropper post upgrade is a must! All my other bikes have dropper posts. Riding this morning without one felt terrible!

- The brakes leave much to be desired. Even after tweaking and optimizing, they take a death grip to lock up the tires when up to speed. I rode some pretty steep sections this morning and they worked well enough, but if I didn’t know the trail I would have been a little sketched.

- The bike climbed a lot better than expected though it is quite a bit heavier than my Giant. I actually cleaned a climb this morning first go that I usually struggle on.

- This thing absolutely “floats” grass bumps/hummocks, cow post holes, roots, and other minor trail aberrations. Like crazy awesome so it is super easy to get speed and keep it. I actually launched a few spots on the trail that normally I don’t because I was carrying a ton of speed.

- I would say this bike is actually a pretty capable descender. The shock up front helps with hand vibration but the brakes requiring a death grip causes fatigue. With new brakes, this would be sweat!

Overall impressions:

- We’ll worth the cost. At less than $700, I have no buyer remorse. This bike will get a lot of use. On my maiden voyage I KOM’d 4 segments and got my 2nd best time on another. Of course these are private segments, but shows the bike certainly is not a hindrance when it comes to speed and time with a same rider / skill.

I am going to ride this bike exclusively over the next few weeks, go on vacation, then when I get back make the decision if it’s time for a full squish fatty for my main bike!
    I went with the 4" Kenda Juggernaut Pros and the self steer is gone. I really like how those tires feel for the Midwest Singletracks I ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    I went with the 4" Kenda Juggernaut Pros and the self steer is gone. I really like how those tires feel for the Midwest Singletracks I ride.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into those. Here is the bike before the maiden voyage:

Gravity Bullseye Monster-new-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Go with a Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR and don't look back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
    Go with a Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR and don't look back.
    Yeah, they are on my shopping list, but damn they be expensive! Almost half the cost of the bike, lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Lol watch ebay. I just picked up a set for my wifes bike for $150 shipped.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
    Lol watch ebay. I just picked up a set for my wifes bike for $150 shipped.
    Sounds good I'll keep an eye out there. Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Here was the GBEMC this morning looking pretty before a nice DH section!

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_e9607.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Bit the bullet and ordered the Minions. My son rode the GBEMC for a local trail that took us almost 3 hours to finish. I watched him slide out a few times on the stock tires so decided the investment would be worth it.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_e9639.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Bit the bullet and ordered the Minions. My son rode the GBEMC for a local trail that took us almost 3 hours to finish. I watched him slide out a few times on the stock tires so decided the investment would be worth it.
    You wont be sorry. The minions rock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    My wifes Monster with 4" FBF/FBR EXO TR Minions and my Lurch with 4.8" EXO TR Minions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-32077618_1128358823973403_1457431387358363648_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Those look great! Looking forward to getting them on the rims!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Picked up a pair for $150 and installed them tonight (w/tubes). Took it out for the maiden voyage and it was fantastic. The self steer was gone which I was surprised as to how effective the Minons were at eliminating it. Didn’t think it would be that noticeable!

Definitely worth the investment!

Gravity Bullseye Monster-d5e3db75-0614-4ebe-8a98-066de5082351.jpg

mtbr member
    Stock tires on these bikes are good quality. But when you change them to HIGH quality and lighten the load on rotational mass and rolling resistance...That is what makes the bike. Maxxis are great tires. I am running JJ liteskins and lightened the load on rim strips and tubes. It's exactly like you said. Night and day on self steer, speed, and maximum control. Best advice for an upgrade is wheelset/tires. It's a game changer. BTW. Your bikes look awesome!!! Well done!

Picked up a pair for $150 and installed them tonight (w/tubes). Took it out for the maiden voyage and it was fantastic. The self steer was gone which I was surprised as to how effective the Minons were at eliminating it. Didn’t think it would be that noticeable!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5E3DB75-0614-4EBE-8A98-066DE5082351.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	1198426

Hooligan
    self steer is only a problem on the front, so I run a high quality tire on the front and pretty much anything on the rear. ive burned through a bunch of missions, snowshoes, and other vee tires on the back and they do pretty well in the summer. on the front, 45nrth Van Helga's have been my favorite.

Winter is a different story.
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    My son typically rides the GBEMC when we ride together, but when I ride solo, I always grab the GBEMC. If there was a full sus version of this bike at a decent price, and with better brakes, I'd be all over it. The GBEMC really is a great bike for sure at a really good value.

It's really too bad they (Bikes Direct) don't carry anything other than mid-fats in full sus. As it stands, I am looking at Salsa's Bucksaws for my son and I for our end all / be all bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Now order yourself some fatty strippers from fattystripper.com and get those mounted up tubeless and you will be even more surprised.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5E3DB75-0614-4EBE-8A98-066DE5082351.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	1198426

Hooligan
    My son typically rides the GBEMC when we ride together, but when I ride solo, I always grab the GBEMC. If there was a full sus version of this bike at a decent price, and with better brakes, I'd be all over it. The GBEMC really is a great bike for sure at a really good value.

It's really too bad they (Bikes Direct) don't carry anything other than mid-fats in full sus. As it stands, I am looking at Salsa's Bucksaws for my son and I for our end all / be all bikes.
    they tried a full sus fat a few years back, it was a total flop. even if they offered it now, I would have to advise against it.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324