Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,400 of 2411
    mtbr member
    Mud shovel and different pedals

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Are these set up so as you can run mechanical disc brakes?

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by LPRoad View Post
    Are these set up so as you can run mechanical disc brakes?
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Well my L.T.D. fat bike is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, (Monday).. GREAT..
    The bad news is I own my barbershop, which is where the box is being shipped to. I'm closed tomorrow !! CRAP
    I will try calling them in the early morning to see if I can pick it up at their location instead.
    Worse case scenario I'm hoping they will make another attempt to deliver it on Tuesday..
    Gettin' close now...

Thanks, Barber

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Switched a few things

Went tubeless with the mulefut wheels, added a 42t cog, 180mm ice tech rotors, and made some fenders. Really happy with how she rides now, went from 35.6 lbs to 33 lbs, 2.4 lbs of rotating weight is noticeable. Extra gearing gets me up some steep hills and more stopping power is awesome when coming back down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-bikepart1.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-bikepart2.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-bike7.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-bike9.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Took the gbemxx to the local bmx trail with my boxer penny  yes, I need a to get a helmet. Looking at getting a giro montaro now.
    https://youtu.be/fILC7UFCbOA
    https://youtu.be/wxGVah-ZH9o

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Picked up a set of Avid BB7 180mm breaks for my GBEM, the noname breaks on my sons bike are OK but he feels like they could be better so I decided to 'upgrade' my breaks and move the Novella's from by GBEM to his bike.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting them installed.

The issue I am having is I am not able to get the break calipers to adjust outboard enough.
    The rotor disk is rubbing on the outboard(actuating) side of the caliper and I cannot get it adjusted far enough out.

Are there thinner caliper mounting adjusters? (the part that mounts to the fork/frame and adjusts the position for 160 vs 180 rotors)
    Or am I going to have to take the mounts to a grinder and take some material off?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    When i went from 160 to 180 rotors with my shimanos, i had to get post mount adaptors. If they didnt come with them- Maybe something like this for your avids? Sram/Avid Disc Post Mount Spacer Set | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilSmrk View Post
    The issue I am having is I am not able to get the break calipers to adjust outboard enough.
    The rotor disk is rubbing on the outboard(actuating) side of the caliper and I cannot get it adjusted far enough out.

Are there thinner caliper mounting adjusters? (the part that mounts to the fork/frame and adjusts the position for 160 vs 180 rotors)
    Or am I going to have to take the mounts to a grinder and take some material off?
    The mounts are pretty much a universal size thickness wise, so there isn't much to do there. The brake calipers themselves should have plenty of adjustment room to slide out though. They are made with an ovalized bolt hole. Plus you can adjust the inside and outside pad positions on BB7 with the big red adjustment knobs on the brake arms.

I'd recommend reading the avid BB7 setup instructions again and following their instructions, especially concerning pre-adjustment of the pad knobs.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    These might also help - amazon.com - Birzman Clam Disc Brake Gap Tool

As it sounds like the rubbing you're describing is side to side (rotor to side of caliper)??? Maybe they're not properly centered??? Just throwing ideas out there.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks for the suggestions but the issue I was the disks were rubbing on the caliper body themselves.

I was unable to get the calipers centered on the disk.

I had watched the videos suggested before starting.

I ended up taking the mounting spacers and grinding down the side of them to move the calipers farther out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilSmrk View Post
    I ended up taking the mounting spacers and grinding down the side of them to move the calipers farther out.
    That's what I did too. Improvise, adapt and overcome.

mtbr member
    Possible upgrade time. Fat suspension
    Has anybody had any experience with the Whool or Pasak fat forks? I've seen a couple posts about the spring cartridge version with 28mm stanchions, but they seem to be the same as a suntour XCT. OK fork, but a little flexy under a clyde. There is a 32mm stanchion air cartridge version that I'm looking at. If you have one (or want to buy one and be a test dummy), speak up. Here's a link to one of them, but there are other sellers out there.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kalo...796974016.html
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N1JX29B

cross posted to a couple of the other non-lbs fatbike discussions.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Possible upgrade time. Fat suspension
    Has anybody had any experience with the Whool or Pasak fat forks? I've seen a couple posts about the spring cartridge version with 28mm stanchions, but they seem to be the same as a suntour XCT. OK fork, but a little flexy under a clyde. There is a 32mm stanchion air cartridge version that I'm looking at. If you have one (or want to buy one and be a test dummy), speak up. Here's a link to one of them, but there are other sellers out there.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kalo...796974016.html
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N1JX29B

cross posted to a couple of the other non-lbs fatbike discussions.
    The general consensus on these forks is,

You get what you pay for.

Most will say that there are reasons why a Bluto or Mastodon are so much more expensive and to spend anything less than that is a waste.

I am likely going to skip getting one of these cheaper forks and either live with the bike as it is or save up for a different bike that comes with a suspension.

The other thought was to save up for a Lefty fork sense it is easier to set up with the straight head tube.
    But this will likely be just as expensive to set up as getting a new bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Recently joined the BEM club as well.
    Wanted a daily driver for my local sandy trails.

Had a piles of parts laying from other bikes upgrades I tossed on it first thing.

Current condition.
    Shimano 2x10 xt drivetrain (might go 1x soon)
    TRP slate t4 hydraulic brakes (still 160mm need new bracket for the 180s)
    Answer pro taper 780mm bars
    raceface 45mm stem
    raceface chester petals

Have put about 30 miles on it this week so far and its going well.
    Its amazing how much better it rolls on loose surface than my trail bike.

Next it to decide if I want to do the gorilla tape tubeless conversion...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-bem.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Welcome! Gbem is looking great, enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Has anyone changed out the headset? Like an upgrade to cane creek? The only reason I’m even asking is when I tore the bike apart to have it painted those bearings did not look the highest quality but I do not know if I would even notice a difference

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jereemk View Post
    Has anyone changed out the headset? Like an upgrade to cane creek? The only reason I’m even asking is when I tore the bike apart to have it painted those bearings did not look the highest quality but I do not know if I would even notice a difference
    you should share the paint job, how did it come out? I was thinking about that myself. As far as the headset goes, I think you'd need to be a pretty great rider to tell the difference. I have 1500 miles of singletracks on mine and it is as tight and smooth as the day I bought it. I am not a Red Bull rampage star rider by any stretch, but my home trails are so rooty I feel like I am holding on to a jackhammer. I'm sure a better rider might feel the difference but for a middle-of-the-pack guy like me it is holding up pretty well. There are other upgrades that would be a higher priority for me. I am only upgrading what breaks and I'll eventually just upgrade the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPmtb View Post
    Took the gbemxx to the local bmx trail with my boxer penny  yes, I need a to get a helmet. Looking at getting a giro montaro now.
    https://youtu.be/fILC7UFCbOA
    https://youtu.be/wxGVah-ZH9o
    Make sure you keep the visor screws tight on that helmet or you will lose them. That's what happened to me. I ended up using a small metal screw.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    you should share the paint job, how did it come out? I was thinking about that myself. As far as the headset goes, I think you'd need to be a pretty great rider to tell the difference. I have 1500 miles of singletracks on mine and it is as tight and smooth as the day I bought it. I am not a Red Bull rampage star rider by any stretch, but my home trails are so rooty I feel like I am holding on to a jackhammer. I'm sure a better rider might feel the difference but for a middle-of-the-pack guy like me it is holding up pretty well. There are other upgrades that would be a higher priority for me. I am only upgrading what breaks and I'll eventually just upgrade the bike.
    I get it back this week. Ill send pics when i get it.

mtbr member
    Has anyone changed out the headset? Like an upgrade to cane creek?
    The stock bearings are OK, and with grease and proper adjustments, they'll last a long time. If you really want to upgrade, a simple upgrade is the FSA Hammer. Basically the same as stock though.

If you want to be adventurous, toss the caged bearings and go 100% loose. Just get some loose bearings from your LBS. Top cup is easy, bottom cup is a pain to assemble with loose bearings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-8daae17b-98f1-4715-a312-3b8032f7faba.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-e42bf70a-e4e2-4b42-9869-ff45557879a3.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-1a4bffad-71f1-44a8-82ff-980013d22875.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-2c248c9e-b22d-4b74-8f84-b4b01b636598.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-0af53c50-5006-4751-b200-6e38482e353b.jpg

Power coated. Very similar to waterloo blue

mtbr member
    Nice powder coat job.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    That looks great jereemk.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Looks great!

mtbr member
    Power coated. Very similar to waterloo blue
    ...or Park Tool blue. In all seriousness, it looks great.

mtbr member
    Looking for opinions on the 2018 GBM Comp:

Save Up to 60% Off Front Suspension Equipped Fat Bikes, BullsEye Monster COMP Fat Mountain Bikes

Seems like a great price with suspension fork which looks to be one of the more desirable upgrades to the Renegade. Thinking about going for an 18" (I'm 6'1'") as I'd rather go a little smaller on the Fatbike and gain more versatility for other riders in my family that are a little shorter.

I also plan on trail riding it with very little snow / sand, so like the idea of the front fork.

Anyone have one of these? Willing to share any likes/dislikes about it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Are you replacing a fat bike? First one?

The shock is obviously cool but these things ride super without one too.

I thought I’d buy one within a month of getting the bike and am perfectly happy still not having one. But I’m not saying that I’m obsessed with my crmo fork.

I am 6’2”. I bought the 20” and love it

mtbr member
    Are you replacing a fat bike? First one?

The shock is obviously cool but these things ride super without one too.

I thought I’d buy one within a month of getting the bike and am perfectly happy still not having one.
    I second this. I ride in the Midwest. It's good without the suspension fork

mtbr member
    I rode one without suspension in Puaula Ubin last weekend on up to double black diamond. I would agree a fork is not absolutely necessary, however, I want this to be a way to even out skill on slightly more difficult terrain between my son and I to help him progress.

Plus for a few extra $100 I get a bike that can serve as an entry level trail bike as well. This will be my first fat, but am highly suspicious it won’t be the last!
    Last edited by roughster; 04-24-2018 at 07:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Looking for opinions on the 2018 GBM Comp:

Save Up to 60% Off Front Suspension Equipped Fat Bikes, BullsEye Monster COMP Fat Mountain Bikes

Seems like a great price with suspension fork which looks to be one of the more desirable upgrades to the Renegade. Thinking about going for an 18" (I'm 6'1'") as I'd rather go a little smaller on the Fatbike and gain more versatility for other riders in my family that are a little shorter.

I also plan on trail riding it with very little snow / sand, so like the idea of the front fork.

Anyone have one of these? Willing to share any likes/dislikes about it?
    I have the bike with Renegade fork (fork/ frameset off of Amazon purchase)

Originally I was going to cannibalize the fork for a different frame, but was sufficiently impressed with the frame that I purchased a second one and built it up.

For all the historical bad rep that RST gets, it's actually a very nice fork and has performed flawlessly for me under all kinds of riding conditions. RSTs customer service is nonexistent, but if you can live with taking a chance on this fact, the forks on-line reputation has been generally very positive. If you are planning on riding anything other than groomed trails, it will save you a lot of bodily wear and tear. I probably wouldn't ride my fat bike as much during the non-snow months if I hadn't gone with front suspension.

Without looking at what you'd be getting on the BD build, I can't comment much further. I guess if I had to change one thing about it, it would be to make the head tube angle a little more slack. It feels a little steep for the riding that I'm doing, though it's easy enough to compensate by changing up my riding position.

I built up a 16" frame with a 1 X 10 (11-26) transmission. You'll be limited to 4" tires since it's got a 170 mm spaced rear.

I got the small frame as my dedicated 'girl friend' bike, but it's adequate for me at 6' 1" for anything other than long distance riding. It actually performs well for slightly more technical riding since the smaller frame is much more nimble than the large that I typically ride.

mtbr member
    Okay, I just pulled the trigger on the 2018 GBEM Comp. It can always be a spare / loaner bike at that price. Took 3 extra days to get it from FedEx. Not sure how your local FedEx service is, but in Vacaville out of the Fairfield field office, it is atrocious. Assembled it last night and took it on its maiden voyage this morning. Here are my thoughts:

- At 6’1, I can easily “fit” on the 18” frame but it makes it a little twitchy. If I was buying it solely for my bike, I would go 20” for sure.

- Assembly was easy. Just watch the video on YouTube and it all comes together fast. Took about 30 mins end to end to assemble and another 15-20 adjusting brakes and for shifting.

- I dont have a low pressure gauge so had to eyeball / squeeze guess the tire pressure. A gauge will come in tomorrow so I’ll check and see how close I got to 10F/12R psi.

- Self steer is crazy on pavement. Like “hey look a squirrel” and a self attempt at a 90 degree turn. I rode a different fat bike 2 weeks ago without the issue, so probably the tires.

- I am used to wider bars than the stock on the GBEMC. I will definitely upgrade the bike to a wider set. They felt really narrow / “tight”.

- Dropper post upgrade is a must! All my other bikes have dropper posts. Riding this morning without one felt terrible!

- The brakes leave much to be desired. Even after tweaking and optimizing, they take a death grip to lock up the tires when up to speed. I rode some pretty steep sections this morning and they worked well enough, but if I didn’t know the trail I would have been a little sketched.

- The bike climbed a lot better than expected though it is quite a bit heavier than my Giant. I actually cleaned a climb this morning first go that I usually struggle on.

- This thing absolutely “floats” grass bumps/hummocks, cow post holes, roots, and other minor trail aberrations. Like crazy awesome so it is super easy to get speed and keep it. I actually launched a few spots on the trail that normally I don’t because I was carrying a ton of speed.

- I would say this bike is actually a pretty capable descender. The shock up front helps with hand vibration but the brakes requiring a death grip causes fatigue. With new brakes, this would be sweat!

Overall impressions:

- We’ll worth the cost. At less than $700, I have no buyer remorse. This bike will get a lot of use. On my maiden voyage I KOM’d 4 segments and got my 2nd best time on another. Of course these are private segments, but shows the bike certainly is not a hindrance when it comes to speed and time with a same rider / skill.

I am going to ride this bike exclusively over the next few weeks, go on vacation, then when I get back make the decision if it’s time for a full squish fatty for my main bike!

mtbr member
    Okay, I just pulled the trigger on the 2018 GBEM Comp. It can always be a spare / loaner bike at that price. Took 3 extra days to get it from FedEx. Not sure how your local FedEx service is, but in Vacaville out of the Fairfield field office, it is atrocious. Assembled it last night and took it on its maiden voyage this morning. Here are my thoughts:

- At 6’1, I can easily “fit” on the 18” frame but it makes it a little twitchy. If I was buying it solely for my bike, I would go 20” for sure.

- Assembly was easy. Just watch the video on YouTube and it all comes together fast. Took about 30 mins end to end to assemble and another 15-20 adjusting brakes and for shifting.

- I dont have a low pressure gauge so had to eyeball / squeeze guess the tire pressure. A gauge will come in tomorrow so I’ll check and see how close I got to 10F/12R psi.

- Self steer is crazy on pavement. Like “hey look a squirrel” and a self attempt at a 90 degree turn. I rode a different fat bike 2 weeks ago without the issue, so probably the tires.

- I am used to wider bars than the stock on the GBEMC. I will definitely upgrade the bike to a wider set. They felt really narrow / “tight”.

- Dropper post upgrade is a must! All my other bikes have dropper posts. Riding this morning without one felt terrible!

- The brakes leave much to be desired. Even after tweaking and optimizing, they take a death grip to lock up the tires when up to speed. I rode some pretty steep sections this morning and they worked well enough, but if I didn’t know the trail I would have been a little sketched.

- The bike climbed a lot better than expected though it is quite a bit heavier than my Giant. I actually cleaned a climb this morning first go that I usually struggle on.

- This thing absolutely “floats” grass bumps/hummocks, cow post holes, roots, and other minor trail aberrations. Like crazy awesome so it is super easy to get speed and keep it. I actually launched a few spots on the trail that normally I don’t because I was carrying a ton of speed.

- I would say this bike is actually a pretty capable descender. The shock up front helps with hand vibration but the brakes requiring a death grip causes fatigue. With new brakes, this would be sweat!

Overall impressions:

- We’ll worth the cost. At less than $700, I have no buyer remorse. This bike will get a lot of use. On my maiden voyage I KOM’d 4 segments and got my 2nd best time on another. Of course these are private segments, but shows the bike certainly is not a hindrance when it comes to speed and time with a same rider / skill.

I am going to ride this bike exclusively over the next few weeks, go on vacation, then when I get back make the decision if it’s time for a full squish fatty for my main bike!
    I went with the 4" Kenda Juggernaut Pros and the self steer is gone. I really like how those tires feel for the Midwest Singletracks I ride.

mtbr member
    I went with the 4" Kenda Juggernaut Pros and the self steer is gone. I really like how those tires feel for the Midwest Singletracks I ride.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into those. Here is the bike before the maiden voyage:

Gravity Bullseye Monster-new-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Go with a Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR and don't look back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
    Go with a Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR and don't look back.
    Yeah, they are on my shopping list, but damn they be expensive! Almost half the cost of the bike, lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Lol watch ebay. I just picked up a set for my wifes bike for $150 shipped.

mtbr member
    Lol watch ebay. I just picked up a set for my wifes bike for $150 shipped.
    Sounds good I'll keep an eye out there. Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Here was the GBEMC this morning looking pretty before a nice DH section!

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_e9607.jpg

mtbr member
    Bit the bullet and ordered the Minions. My son rode the GBEMC for a local trail that took us almost 3 hours to finish. I watched him slide out a few times on the stock tires so decided the investment would be worth it.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_e9639.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Bit the bullet and ordered the Minions. My son rode the GBEMC for a local trail that took us almost 3 hours to finish. I watched him slide out a few times on the stock tires so decided the investment would be worth it.
    You wont be sorry. The minions rock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    My wifes Monster with 4" FBF/FBR EXO TR Minions and my Lurch with 4.8" EXO TR Minions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-32077618_1128358823973403_1457431387358363648_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Those look great! Looking forward to getting them on the rims!

mtbr member
    Picked up a pair for $150 and installed them tonight (w/tubes). Took it out for the maiden voyage and it was fantastic. The self steer was gone which I was surprised as to how effective the Minons were at eliminating it. Didn’t think it would be that noticeable!

Definitely worth the investment!

Gravity Bullseye Monster-d5e3db75-0614-4ebe-8a98-066de5082351.jpg

mtbr member
    Stock tires on these bikes are good quality. But when you change them to HIGH quality and lighten the load on rotational mass and rolling resistance...That is what makes the bike. Maxxis are great tires. I am running JJ liteskins and lightened the load on rim strips and tubes. It's exactly like you said. Night and day on self steer, speed, and maximum control. Best advice for an upgrade is wheelset/tires. It's a game changer. BTW. Your bikes look awesome!!! Well done!

Picked up a pair for $150 and installed them tonight (w/tubes). Took it out for the maiden voyage and it was fantastic. The self steer was gone which I was surprised as to how effective the Minons were at eliminating it. Didn’t think it would be that noticeable!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5E3DB75-0614-4EBE-8A98-066DE5082351.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	1198426

Hooligan
    self steer is only a problem on the front, so I run a high quality tire on the front and pretty much anything on the rear. ive burned through a bunch of missions, snowshoes, and other vee tires on the back and they do pretty well in the summer. on the front, 45nrth Van Helga's have been my favorite.

Winter is a different story.
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    My son typically rides the GBEMC when we ride together, but when I ride solo, I always grab the GBEMC. If there was a full sus version of this bike at a decent price, and with better brakes, I'd be all over it. The GBEMC really is a great bike for sure at a really good value.

It's really too bad they (Bikes Direct) don't carry anything other than mid-fats in full sus. As it stands, I am looking at Salsa's Bucksaws for my son and I for our end all / be all bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Now order yourself some fatty strippers from fattystripper.com and get those mounted up tubeless and you will be even more surprised.

Name:	D5E3DB75-0614-4EBE-8A98-066DE5082351.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	1198426

Hooligan
    My son typically rides the GBEMC when we ride together, but when I ride solo, I always grab the GBEMC. If there was a full sus version of this bike at a decent price, and with better brakes, I'd be all over it. The GBEMC really is a great bike for sure at a really good value.

It's really too bad they (Bikes Direct) don't carry anything other than mid-fats in full sus. As it stands, I am looking at Salsa's Bucksaws for my son and I for our end all / be all bikes.
    they tried a full sus fat a few years back, it was a total flop. even if they offered it now, I would have to advise against it.

mtbr member
    I think my GBM bottom bracket is toast. It lasted 1.5 years and about 1800 miles of mostly singletracks in temps from-5F to 100F. I'm a Clydesdale too. Still I am not sure if I should replace it with what is in there (Lasko square taper) or if there is another more durable option. I tightened the cups, but still when I wiggle the crank on one side and it moves the other. Is my assessment off the mark? Is there another option? I don't care much about weight as much as durability, because I frequently ride places far from home while traveling for work

mtbr member
    I think my GBM bottom bracket is toast. It lasted 1.5 years and about 1800 miles of mostly singletracks in temps from-5F to 100F. I'm a Clydesdale too. Still I am not sure if I should replace it with what is in there (Lasko square taper) or if there is another more durable option. I tightened the cups, but still when I wiggle the crank on one side and it moves the other. Is my assessment off the mark? Is there another option? I don't care much about weight as much as durability, because I frequently ride places far from home while traveling for work
    I'm using external cup bearings on my GBEM frames. The thread is the same.

Buying a new square taper BB is probably cheaper though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Horse View Post
    I'm using external cup bearings on my GBEM frames. The thread is the same.

Buying a new square taper BB is probably cheaper though.
    do external cup bearings last longer?

mtbr member
    do external cup bearings last longer?
    They're larger, so it's plausible that they may be more durable.

The square tapered BBs I've had seemed to always develop slop between the spindle and crank arm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Am I correct that the BB width is 100mm? Checking before buying. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Be careful, the cup measurement is 100 but mine had a 149.5 spindle (yes, 149.5 marked right on the housing). I bought a 145 based on the spec sheet and the crank got way too close to the front derailleur mount and there was chain rub on the tire. The only 100mm square taper bbs I could find were 137, 145 and 163. I wrote bikesdirect and they said they had a 151 they could sell me. Not sure where they got theirs, but I'm glad they had one. I'm not sure whether every GBM has that spacing or if the 163 would be ok.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks, TexMex.

mtbr member
    BTW on one of the other threads I saw the suggestion to use PTFE plumber's tape (the thin, non-adhesive stuff) on the taper and the crank never develops slop with the spindle. I started doing that and so far so good in spite of extreme temperature variation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I bought a GBEM about a month ago. I was impressed with it out of the box. For $700 I expected to see crappy welds and chunky components. I worked in a LBS for 11 years and have seen big name bikes come out of the box looking much worse. I completely disassembled the headset and crankset. There was some grease but not what I though was prudent. A little grease is a small price. I have about 300 miles on it. Last weekend I was riding on the C&O Canal towpath and encountered about 3 miles of thick, greasy mud. The bike had a lot of traction but those big tires threw sticky much everywhere. Since we were camping, I was not able to clean the bike up. The next day the bottom derailleur pulley locked up and pulled the derailleur into the wheel and broke it. Not Gravity's fault. I am very disappointed in SRAM's GX derailleur! They have sealed bearings, that apparently didn't seal well. I would love to replace it with shimano but the two are not compatible. I have never had a shimano pulley fail. Has anyone else had problems with their GX derailleurs?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I have a 2014 GBEM with some swapped out stuff but still using the SRAM x4 drive set. No problems and I've been riding it year round for about 4 years. Maybe situational?

I bent a steerer tube on this bike and Bikesdirect sent me a new fork. Reach out to them and tell them what happened, they'll probably help you out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingader View Post
    Has anyone else had problems with their GX derailleurs?
    I've had luck with mine so far. I'm led to believe this is a simple case of "stick in the derailure". Not necessarily a stick, but something beyond normal wear and tear. Freak accidents happen. Small chunk of something wedged between a pulley wheel and the derailure cage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My wifes Monster with 4" FBF/FBR EXO TR Minions and my Lurch with 4.8" EXO TR Minions.
    Looks like lake Hodges?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Looks like lake Hodges?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Yep. We try and get up there pretty often.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I ordered a new GX rear derailleur. Took the pulleys off, and they were well greased. I have a friend that commutes all winter in D.C. on SRAM components. He has not had any problems. We will see how long the new one lasts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Today I took my GBEM to a place called St. Mary's Lake, in southern MD. We call it the root loop. Lots of short climbs, tree roots everywhere, and small drop offs. The bike was an absolute blast to ride! I never would have thought that a 37 lb bike could climb so well. My last bike was a full-sus Trek, which was 12 lbs lighter. The GBEM is more fun! You may find a lighter and more expensive fat bike, but for less money you'll have the same grin.

mtbr member
    Do any of you guys know what the bare BEM frame weights? I managed to ovalize the bottom bracket shell on my steel fat bike, and I'm thinking of swapping all the parts onto this frame... https://www.amazon.com/Unbranded-Alu...fat+bike+frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    Do any of you guys know what the bare BEM frame weights? I managed to ovalize the bottom bracket shell on my steel fat bike, and I'm thinking of swapping all the parts onto this frame... https://www.amazon.com/Unbranded-Alu...fat+bike+frame
    Shipping weight says 20lbs. ... Its the LTD frame nothing on Bikes Direct states the weight but changing the frame size doesnt change the shipping weight on Amazon so I'm just guessing thats the weight for the 22" frame.

mtbr member
    Thanks, but the shipping weight doesn't tell much about the actual frame weight. I would think its in the 5-6 pound range. My steel frame is about 8, and the aluminum has to be lighter....

mtbr member
    My small frame is definitely light, 5- 6 pounds-ish sounds right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog1148 View Post
    Mud shovel and different pedals

Dude your bike is awesome! I almost got that color way but folded to late!

mtbr member
    Thanks

mtbr member

Cool kid Fork

Anyone know if this will fit my bike?
    DNM Suspension Technology
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-20180805_221156.jpg

I asked and its available in a straight tube.

What kind of upgrade forks are Y'all using?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onebluesummer View Post
    Anyone know if this will fit my bike?
    DNM Suspension Technology

Name:	20180805_221156.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	1211169

I asked and its available in a straight tube.

What kind of upgrade forks are Y'all using?
    That fork in the link has a 15mm through axle and the GBM has 9mm QR. They are different standards and you would end up needing a new wheel. Wheels are pretty pricey too. Unfortunately the GBM build has real limits to upgrades on the fork. There are only a few heavy options, some of which aren’t air. I opted to leave the factory rigid fork on.

I met a guy on the trail who bought a Luna Lander fork for his GBM, he loved it but it is another 1.5 pounds heavier than the one you found here. He also said it doesn’t work well in the extreme cold. Of course, he was smiling ear to ear riding it so maybe it is good enough to take the edge off.

I ride almost 100% rooty, chunky singletracks, so I would like a shock someday. I think the bike companies can buy parts so much cheaper that I am leaning towards the “buy once, cry once” philosophy and go for a whole bike. I am saving my shekels and just riding the crap out the GBM. I love the bike. I’m fixing what breaks with similar parts (aka inexpensive and still decent). I did spend money on wider bars and better pedals. I upgraded the tires when the Vee Mission Commands wore out.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

That fork in the link has a 15mm through axle and the GBM has 9mm QR. They are different standards and you would end up needing a new wheel. Wheels are pretty pricey too. Unfortunately the GBM build has real limits to upgrades on the fork. There are only a few heavy options, some of which aren’t air. I opted to leave the factory rigid fork on.

I met a guy on the trail who bought a Luna Lander fork for his GBM, he loved it but it is another 1.5 pounds heavier than the one you found here. He also said it doesn’t work well in the extreme cold. Of course, he was smiling ear to ear riding it so maybe it is good enough to take the edge off.

I ride almost 100% rooty, chunky singletracks, so I would like a shock someday. I think the bike companies can buy parts so much cheaper that I am leaning towards the “buy once, cry once” philosophy and go for a whole bike. I am saving my shekels and just riding the crap out the GBM. I love the bike. I’m fixing what breaks with similar parts (aka inexpensive and still decent). I did spend money on wider bars and better pedals. I upgraded the tires when the Vee Mission Commands wore out.
    ah thanks! Thats what I needed to know! Well for get that one.
    Looks like Ill have to get that Luna Lander fork then.

So far I'm totally happy, I love that I can just run over weeds and shrubs with this bike! My new seat helps a bit, I was also thinking of one of those suspension seat tubs, might not work with my back rack though. I out the gate but on some bb7's and love them! Also pedals and grips, didn't think I was gonna go matchie matchie but my LBS talked me into it lol.

What bars did you end up getting, I think I could use the room, and also want to get some handle bar ends that stick up too.

What bike do you think you'll end up getting after your GMB?

mtbr member
    I bought Wake Cycle handlebars off of Amazon but they snapped (thankfully wasn't hurt), so then I went to the LBS and bought what they had. Both were 740mm and needed the stem swapped as well (because the GBM stock bar is narrower at the stem). I don't know the bar brand.

mtbr member
    Question for the GBEM group here. If I am just going to use my fat bike to ride around on flat ground in the snow on the base I work at and as a summer cruiser to ride to the store or farmers market, is there any point in getting more than the standard or LTD versions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The tires are a bit better of a model and are wider ( grip and float), as well as a wider handlebar(more stablility). The tapered headtube does open up the door to more choices if you ever decide to go with suspension.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I was looking at those things and think the LTD or even the XX would be a better choice even if I don't plan on ever upgrading anything. Plans change!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have the xx, my first fat bike so far, and i love it. I hadn't planned on changing anything, but ya plans change lol, just look up a few posts!

mtbr member
    The tires are a bit better of a model and are wider ( grip and float), as well as a wider handlebar(more stablility). The tapered headtube does open up the door to more choices if you ever decide to go with suspension.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithe68 View Post
    Question for the GBEM group here. If I am just going to use my fat bike to ride around on flat ground in the snow on the base I work at and as a summer cruiser to ride to the store or farmers market, is there any point in getting more than the standard or LTD versions?
    I found the handlebars too narrow and the LTD comes with wider bars. The tapered head tube is nice too. But the GBM is suited to that type of riding as is. It’s nice to have options.

mtbr member
    ah thanks! Thats what I needed to know! Well for get that one.
    Looks like Ill have to get that Luna Lander fork then.

So far I'm totally happy, I love that I can just run over weeds and shrubs with this bike! My new seat helps a bit, I was also thinking of one of those suspension seat tubs, might not work with my back rack though. I out the gate but on some bb7's and love them! Also pedals and grips, didn't think I was gonna go matchie matchie but my LBS talked me into it lol.

What bars did you end up getting, I think I could use the room, and also want to get some handle bar ends that stick up too.

I purchased a Luna Lander fork for an inexpensive GEBM build I was doing for my kid and had a chance to use it extensively before I sent the bike off. I had a 135 mm wheel around that I wanted to put to use, so I made the purchase.

As much as Luna Cycles likes to hype it up as being comparable to the Bluto, it's nowhere near as nice as the Bluto comparable Renegade that I have on a different bike. Terrible stiction and it just isn't a very supple. It's probably ok for smoothing out mild riding conditions and dealing with chatter, but I can't see it working so great as a hard trail charger. Having said that, suspension isn't usually considered by most a must have for fat bikes in general and light duty riding in particular (just saying)

For $200 it's about what I'd expect for my money tho I'm not sure I'd buy another one. My personal opinion is that on a bike like the GBEM, the money would probably be better spent on something else to improve the bikes performance or possibly the eventual up-purchase of another bike.

mtbr member
    I don’t know. With three kids in college, I don’t take spending money lightly. To “maximize value”, I am trying to decide how much money I need to spend to get a big improvement on the bike and what additional features are important to me. To that end, I started to put together a spreadsheet with most of the brands available in the US, the MSRP, tires, frame materials, Rims, Brakes, Hubs and derailleurs etc. It has been a painful process because the manufacturers websites are not laid out to quickly gather data and often don’t share complete information. I will post it when I’m done.

mtbr member
    I have the xx, my first fat bike so far, and i love it. I hadn't planned on changing anything, but ya plans change lol, just look up a few posts!
    Thanks, I think I am going to order an xx tomorrow, I think I will be happier with it over the LTD or the standard bike.

I found the handlebars too narrow and the LTD comes with wider bars. The tapered head tube is nice too. But the GBM is suited to that type of riding as is. It’s nice to have options.
    Wider would be better among other things, like I said above, I am going to go with the XX. I like 1x setups, I have SRAM Force 1 1x11 on my gravel bike.

Now to decide between the 20" and 22" frames since I sit right in the middle of the 2 at 6'3".

mtbr member
    I didn't really "finish" the spreadsheet as much as I am done working on it for now.

I posted a link on the fat bike forum. Here is the linkback. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...bKU/edit#gid=0

mtbr member
    Just put my order in for a 22" XX, pretty excited, now the wait.

Too Drunk to Steer
    Aug 2018
    Been a long time lurker, read this who!e thread several times. Bought a Bullseye monster because of this thread a couple years ago but haven't got out on it much due to a couple knee injuries soon after the purchase.
    I've finally started to get the knees straightened out.
    Had my worst knee scoped a month and a half ago and have been back riding for the last four weeks. Started back with short rides on the farm, then progressed to the easy local rails to trails. Worked up to about 16 miles possible before enough swelling set in to make me call it quits. But I've been feeling better and stronger every time out and been adding a few different parts to the monster to make the bike fit me a little better.
    I'm tall, wide shouldered and (too) heavy right now, so some beefier flat pedals replaced the stockers, and a shorter angled stem and a Surly sunrise bar helped me get a little more upright and took the pressure off my hands the narrow stock bars were causing.
    Set up my xl monster a couple weeks ago for summer riding with a set of 26+ tires on the stock 50mms rims. WTB Ranger 26x3.0 tough/fast.
    Plan to order a 80mm wheelset to run winter with the 26x4's. I am really loving the 26+ set up, and actually knees have been well enough that i decided to try some cross country gravel and a little tight woods single track today.
    Big difference in elevation change from the 1% rails trails I've been riding. Lol
    Not being used to climbing made it a little tough on me, but the downhill payoff after made me look forward to tackling the next uphill section. Had to push a bit of the last uphill, but next time I'll get it!
    Anyway, thanks for all the info posted in this thread!

Too Drunk to Steer
    Aug 2018
    Oh yeah, want to grease my hubs.
    Can anyone tell me offhand what size cone wrench i need?
    Tried searching with no luck, and didn't have a chance to break out the calipers to measure the flats
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Horse View Post
    I purchased a Luna Lander fork
    I've been pondering a Rengade for a while now and now this is a new option for me to investigate, but I'm worried about performance in the cold with both. Anyone experience issues?

I feel the bike needs a shock for trail riding, when going downhill, bump and braking it feels like I could shake right over the handlebars!

mtbr member
    I have 3 Renegades, the thru axle is just better than quick release, but you have to purchase a thru axle hub if you go with the Renegade. The rebound adjuster gets a minimal oil leak with time just enough for dirt to stick to it and make it look dirty. I haven’t had any problems in the cold and I learned to service them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis_fx35 View Post
    I have 3 Renegades, the thru axle is just better than quick release, but you have to purchase a thru axle hub if you go with the Renegade
    Thats good information, I have QR currently, and I'm not sure i want to change wheels as well, at some point it would be cheaper to replace LOL

What temp do you ride down to? Anything less that 20F is too cold for this old guy

mtbr member
    I have 3 Renegades, the thru axle is just better than quick release, but you have to purchase a thru axle hub if you go with the Renegade. The rebound adjuster gets a minimal oil leak with time just enough for dirt to stick to it and make it look dirty. I haven’t had any problems in the cold and I learned to service them.
    As do I. I see you took advantage of that $275 frame/ fork package that was on Amazon.

mtbr member
    If you can do it inexpensively I'd say go for it. As happy as I've been with my Renegades, RST does not have the best reputation in terms of quality and service. I'm not sure I'd spend a lot of money on the product if comparably you could spend a little bit more and get a Bluto, or even better yet, a Mastadon.

I've used the fork in the teens and above (tho not extensively) and I haven't noticed any performance issues. I pull the fork, service everything and put a rigid fork on for winter riding. Mostly because of the road salt issue that we have around here and the fact that suspension isn't an absolute necessity IMO for riding on snow.

mtbr member
    Finally got an email from Bikesdirect, tracking shows delivery Thursday!

mtbr member
    If the bike frame has straight steerer headtube. The best option will be the RST renegade. If the frame has tapered headtube, then the Bluto or even a Mastodon would be my first choice.

mtbr member
    Put together this morning, took about 30 minutes to go through it all. Still need to get riding position the way I like it and I might flip the stem or find one with more rise. Need different pedals too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithe68 View Post
    Put together this morning, took about 30 minutes to go through it all. Still need to get riding position the way I like it and I might flip the stem or find one with more rise. Need different pedals too.

Looking sharp, have fun! Was thinking about flipping the stem on my son's as well and then putting on some wider bars.

mtbr member
    22” wow that looks even bigger. Is that size harder to throw around? I mean... the landings are my worries. I always will want the top tube to go down a little.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking at purchasing one of these as winter is approaching. I'm 5ft4in and the site states I probably need a 14in frame. Curious what others at my height have purchased and any feedback you may have.

Second questions I have is I have many parts lying around and would will change bar and stem immediately. Will stock rear hub support a 10spd casssette? I don't see why it wouldn't but wanted to double check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    Looking at purchasing one of these as winter is approaching. I'm 5ft4in and the site states I probably need a 14in frame. Curious what others at my height have purchased and any feedback you may have.

Second questions I have is I have many parts lying around and would will change bar and stem immediately. Will stock rear hub support a 10spd casssette? I don't see why it wouldn't but wanted to double check
    14" frame is the right size. I'm about 5'6" and it works for me. I have not installed a ten speed yet but I could

mtbr member
    22” wow that looks even bigger. Is that size harder to throw around? I mean... the landings are my worries. I always will want the top tube to go down a little.
    It is really big, I think I could have gone one size smaller and also been ok. I haven’t gotten to ride it much but I can handle it fine, wheelies really well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ok, I am a professional lurker since I created my profile back in 2012 and this is my first post.

I stumbled on this thread looking for reviews on the Gravity Bullseye Monster. I am only on page 6 but I will work my way through all 24 pages. I like the idea of an inexpensive bike to get me back into the hobby/lifestyle of biking regularly to get in shape and being outdoors.

My question is, I am 6' 4" with about about a 33" inseam. According to the BD page I should be ordering a 22" model, but I am seeing posts on here about people with a 33" inseam ordering a 20" or 18" model and being a perfect fit. I saw the stand over height for 20" is 31.401 inches and the 22" is 33.038 inches.

Since this is the first bike I will buy in about 30 years, I am wondering if I should reconsider sizing down from the 22" model. Thoughts from anyone? smithe68, you mentioned you are 6' 3", how well does the 22" fit you?

I see the 22" is out of stock in the color I would like, but they do have a 20" version. Will the 2" make a huge difference given my height and inseam?
    Last edited by Burizado; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:23 AM.