Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2220
    mtbr member
    Will do, thank you 😊

mtbr member
    I just overhauled my rear hub and the cones are damaged. Does anyone know what size cones should I get for a 9 ball bearing rear hub? I found a few on eBay but all have different sizes. Have anyone tried replacing the cones with shimano? The rear hub brand is Quando, it is written on the rubber seal by the disk brake mount.

mtbr member
    metric mountain bike cones are pretty universal. and the cost to get them at a bike shop is pretty cheap. I'd rather spend the extra $2 to make sure I get the right ones than guess. The axle diameter is easy, 10mm diameter x 1.0 thread pitch. Not all cones will have the same length though and spacers/washers may be needed.

Amazon has a $8 mountain bike axle 10x1.0 with spacers, cone nuts and lock nuts. It should give you all the parts you need to fix it up right.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    metric mountain bike cones are pretty universal. and the cost to get them at a bike shop is pretty cheap. I'd rather spend the extra $2 to make sure I get the right ones than guess. The axle diameter is easy, 10mm diameter x 1.0 thread pitch. Not all cones will have the same length though and spacers/washers may be needed.

Amazon has a $8 mountain bike axle 10x1.0 with spacers, cone nuts and lock nuts. It should give you all the parts you need to fix it up right.
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Which headset did you get? I thought I got the same origin 8 that you got but fork still hits frame. What size frame is your bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by littlereddog View Post
    So, I have an RST Renegade on my GBEM with a 1 1/8 straight head tube with no clearance problems.The Renegade does not hit the downtube. The way I solved the problem was changing the bottom cup on the headset. I bought the origin8 pro 1 1/8 threadless headset off of Amazon for about $30. The bottom cup of the headset is significantly bigger on the origin8 than the stock bottom cup. I didn't bother changing the top cup, because there is no need to. Anyway, I thought I would give it a try. I'm using the crown race that came with the origin8 headset. I didn't have to buy one of the extended crown races off of eBay. The stock one works fine. Here are some pictures of the fork on the bike showing clearance in both directions. Love the fork. Works way better than the cheap Chinese fork discussed above.
    Which headset did you get? I thought I got the same origin 8 pro thredless headset with the sealed bearings that you got but My RST Renegade still hits the downtube . What size frame is your bike?

Btw, How is your renegade working so far? My brother and I have the straight steerer Renegade and it is a good Suspension fork. My only complaint about this fork is that the lockout assembly under the compression knob is not tightened enough from factory. When it is very cold the lockout knob will seize and if you unlock the suspension the whole lockout knob plus the lower assembly will come loose and it will make you believe that the whole lockout assembly is not working. I overhauled the Renegade last weekend thanks to some OCR videos on YouTube. I decided to tighten the lockout assembly a bit more so it won't unscrew from the fork when the lockout knob seizes and turns the whole assembly insted of just the lockout knob. I also decided to remove the rebound hex key, The rebound adjuster is just a hex key with the blue knob. I don't want to loose the knob.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis_fx35 View Post
    Which headset did you get? I thought I got the same origin 8 pro thredless headset with the sealed bearings that you got but My RST Renegade still hits the downtube . What size frame is your bike?

Btw, How is your renegade working so far?
    This one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

22 inch.

Renegade is working awesome. I'm not having any of the issues you describe. That being said, I don't often lock it out and I don't use it in super cold weather.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by littlereddog View Post
    This one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

22 inch.

Renegade is working awesome. I'm not having any of the issues you describe. That being said, I don't often lock it out and I don't use it in super cold weather.
    Dude, that's the same headset I got. Did you use the whole headset with the crown race and everything? I don't know what happened, I installed the bigger cup on the bottom of the headtube and the smaller cup on top and both crown races the black one on the bottom of the steerer tube and the red one on top. The amazon link shows two sizes. 1-1/8 and 1".

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I only installed the bottom cup and the matching bearing. I used the crown race from the headset. I thought you ordered the extended crown race from ebay. Maybe it is because mine is a 22" frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Luna Suspension Fork

https://lunacycle.com/luna-lander-fat-suspension-fork/

Installed it and tried it out. Haven't done a full ride yet (hopefully tomorrow) but here is a preliminary ride report.

The crown is smaller than say the RST Renegade. It will be a close (but not impossible) fit with a 100 mm stock rim. I put 100mm rim on it and there is some clearance, but I doubt the rim with as 5 inch tire would fit very well. That's OK, I prefer my 50mm rims anyway. Because the crown is smaller, it will likely work with the older straight downtube bikes. It works with my Gravity Bullseye Monster, but keep in mind, I have the 22 inch GBM and a new bottom cup on the headset that provides a little more clearance. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if it will work stock on other GBMs of other sizes. There is a fair amount of clearance.

It feels a lot like the RST Renegade in both weight and quality. Maybe a little lighter than the Renegade. Seems to have pretty good shock absorption. Works way better than the cheap Chinese spring only fork (I have one of those as well). I'm a novice at best, when it comes to fork set-up and pickiness, I just need something to take the bumps out of the horse hoof prints in the ground, so I can't comment on precise rebound and dampening settings, but it will work for some bumpy trails.

I installed the remote lock-out. You need to loosen the set screw to get the cable in there. Also the cable sheath is pretty loose at both the fork end and button end. I added an endcap to each and it works fine now. You are going to have to remove your grip, shifter, and brake to install the button on the handlebar.

The steerer tube is shorter than the Renegade. But, it will fit on my 22 inch GBM with one medium sized spacer. So, it should fit almost any bike.

I don't have a star fangled nut tool, so I messed that up a little. You may want to have your LBS install that for you if you are particular.

It has a warning sticker saying not to use it for downhill and hard core riding. I think that's just the lawyers. It seems to be similar build quality to the Renegade. I can't see the internal seals and what not, but I can't imagine they would make it unsuitable for similar types of riding.

Seems to be a fair amount of oil coming out of the stanchions. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see how it looks after a couple of rides.

In conclusion, I traded my Renegade off of my GBM for this, and I suspect it will stay that way. My Vinson (my loaner bike) will get the Renegade.

Hopefully this will inspire a real expert to buy the fork and try it out with a better review than this one. But for me, it's a keeper.
    Last edited by littlereddog; 04-27-2017 at 09:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Pictures would be amazing. Some day 😁

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Luis_fx35 View Post
    Pictures would be amazing. Some day 
    OK, here you go. 50mm rim, 3 inch tire Gravity Bullseye Monster-20170505_224950.jpg 50mm rim 4 inch tireGravity Bullseye Monster-20170505_230954.jpg100mm rim, 5 inch tire (not inflated)Gravity Bullseye Monster-20170505_231415.jpgClearance to downtube on one sideGravity Bullseye Monster-20170505_231427.jpgclearance to downtube on other sideGravity Bullseye Monster-20170505_231444.jpglockout trigger and releaseGravity Bullseye Monster-20170505_231452.jpgNote that unlike the Renegade, you can only fully lock-out or have full suspension. No partial lock-outs.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pictures dude. Looks like a good air fork and quick release also. Lots of savings for all non-thru axle riders. Btw, I learned how to service the Renegades, applied new "slick honey" and fork fluid. Super smooth and silent rides after 6 months of ownership.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Tire rub??? where did this come from?

I have had my GBEM for about a year now and have had no problems with it that I can speak of.
    No major wrecks and I'm not particularly hard on it either.

After about a year of owning it I decided to treat myself a bit and just picked up a set of 4.0 Jumbo Jim light skins. and put them on tonight.

Installation went easier than I thought it would.
    Deflated the tires, pulled out the tire levers to unseat one side (almost didn't need it)
    Pulled out the tubes and then removed the tires from the rim.
    Inspected the rims and rim tape (back tires rim tape was a little off center but not bad)
    And put the new tires on in the reverse order.

I slowly inflated the tires making sure the rims were centered in the tires and there was no bulges in the sidewall.
    I went ahead and inflated them up to around 22psi (because my family was planning on going on a paved bike trail tomorrow morning and I figured why not get a little more efficiency from the higher psi)

Put the wheels back on the bike, and took it for a spin.

"What was that?" I thought as I put the pedal down a little.
    I was getting a slight tire rub on the chainstay.

I took the wheel off and re-seated it in the dropouts and took a closer look.

When not under load the knobs on the tire just barely clear the driveline chainstay. the stay on the other (break) side has plenty of clearance.
    When my butt is in the saddle coasting straight everything is ok.
    When swerving back and forth occasionally I hear the knobs rub.
    When putting the power down the knobs rub against the chainstay especially with my right foot.

I have never noticed a problem before now, the side knobs on the JumboJims are noticeably bigger than the Mission Commands so I may not have noticed the problem till now.

Any ideas?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    How much clearance is on the side opposing the rub? Perhaps rearranging spacers on the rear axle/hub or dishing the wheel would resolve your issue.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Re-dishing the wheel is probably an option, thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Another option/upgrade could be removing the front derailleur and front chainrings and upgrade to 1x10 or 1x9(very affordable today compared to 1x11) It will improve your tire clearance and chain retention. Without expending money on a new crankset, just get a narrow/wide chainring. I got a used sram XO 10 speed derailleur with clutch for $40 on eBay and a 10 speed sram x7 shifter for $20. One Up narrow-wide chainring from JensonUSA and a 10 speed chain for $20 on eBay also. Best investment on my GBM so far, the shifting precision is heavenly.

mtbr member
    Pictures after upgrades. My white GBM is waiting on a SLX 10 speed set up. The narrow-wide chainring is already installed. My GBM pro(black) which is 170mm spaced as well has a similar set up allredy installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-tire-clearance.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-tire-clearance-2.jpg  

I'm boss and I know it

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilSmrk View Post
    Re-dishing the wheel is probably an option, thanks for the suggestion.
    Was a thought cause it sounds like there is room to spare on the non rubbing side...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    First real ride with the Jumbo Jims.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-adobephotoshopexpress_b530cff6596149b8a0cce19b17f8b590.jpg  

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223