Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Hooligan

Re: Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Polished Fuji View Post
    Great thread and a good looking FB,

I'm thinking about buying a Gravity 2014 Bullseye Monster, Will it fit someone who is 6'5" ?
    A large or xl would. Its not a one size fits all like the dolo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post
    Great thread....I would buy one if they had the small size...
    You can still order one, but waiting sucks. I waited more than 2 months for mine.
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Hooligan
    So im thinking about getting a pair of the green on one floaters. I need a more aggressive tire for winter and the floater fits the bill. I like the way it looks with black tires, but green could be fun. Do you think it will be too monochromatic?

mtbr member
    I wish there was a good fat bike tire comparo review someplace...I have looked but I have not seen a good tires for riding rocks like we have in jerzy.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post
    I wish there was a good fat bike tire comparo review someplace...I have looked but I have not seen a good tires for riding rocks like we have in jerzy.
    honestly, i have been rocking the wal-mart fat tires because they are so thick, and they have been standing up to all sorts of rocks and broken glass. they are not perfect, the tread pattern sucks and they are insanely heavy, but they are doing what i want them to.

EDIT - I should mention that this forum is full of information, and you can find a lot of information on any of the existing fat options simply by searching it. it may take some sifting and a lot of reading, but the info is out there. i agree that we should consolidate the information and put together a single thread about what tires are good for what conditions.
    Last edited by dirtdawg21892; 08-05-2014 at 08:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    A large or xl would. Its not a one size fits all like the dolo.
    Ok Great, I just did some digging and...

14" fits most 5'4" to 5'7"
    16" fits most 5'7" to 5'10"
    18" fits most 5'10" to 6' 1"
    20" fits most 6'1" to 6'4"
    22" fits most 6'4" to 6'7"

"fits most"
    is a key word here LoL !!

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Polished Fuji View Post
    Ok Great, I just did some digging and...

14" fits most 5'4" to 5'7"
    16" fits most 5'7" to 5'10"
    18" fits most 5'10" to 6' 1"
    20" fits most 6'1" to 6'4"
    22" fits most 6'4" to 6'7"

"fits most"
    is a key word here LoL !!
    the "most" part is because people have different proportions. for example, i'm 5'6" but i have short legs and a longer torso, so i fit well on either a small or medium depending on the reach and stand-over height.
    I think that reach is the most important measurement on a frame, because it can only be adjusted by swapping the stem or bars to get your hands where you want them. the conventional bb to seat collar measurement that manufacturers usually give for a frame size is not as important, because you can simply raise or lower the seat to optimize the distance from bb to seat.
    i'm rambling now, sorry.
    my advice if you have a bike that you are comfortable on is to see how the frame measurements line up with the spec for the the fat bike you're looking at.

Hooligan

Still thinking about the green floaters. This is a quick Photoshop that nicole did to help me see what the bike would look like.

And the blue one is supposed to be her pug with white ones.

mtbr member
    my advice if you have a bike that you are comfortable on is to see how the frame measurements line up with the spec for the the fat bike you're looking at.
    Yeap, I was thinking the same thing, THX.

Hooligan
    this is tough. i want to get a more aggressive set of tires for winter anyway. the floaters fit the bill, but i really wanted a set of nates. just for some background info: the original plan was that the girl would get a set of the white floaters for her pug, and then i would buy the nates from her, offsetting the cost. she gets her white tires, i get my aggressive tires, we're both happy.
    unfortunately, on one has changed their shipping policy and no longer offers free shipping on the 2 tires. the shipping charge is almost as expensive as a tire, and the new limit is 100gbp (about 4 tires). in order to not pay a ton on shipping, she has been trying to convince me to go in on the deal with her and get a set for myself. i'm still trying to figure out what i want to do. any input?

Hooligan
    i ended up ordering the greenies. i will post pics and try to straighten out the front rim when they come in.

mtbr member
    end up getting some Knards...tubless....nice....tough sidewalls for rocks.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Way to go now I want one lol I've owned a Gravity 29'er that I regret selling. I'm new to this fat bike world so I'm leary of ordering one online before a test fit. I'm 5'10" so any input would help. I see the matte black is only available in 20", probably too big for me. My current MTB is 18.5 and that's kinda the ball busting limit.

Hooligan
    at 5'10" you're probably still safely in 18" territory. if youre after matte black you could check the availability on the borises, i havent looked lately, but they arent much more expensive and they may have some in stock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    at 5'10" you're probably still safely in 18" territory. if youre after matte black you could check the availability on the borises, i havent looked lately, but they arent much more expensive and they may have some in stock.
    Boris bikes aren't in stock yet, shipping anytime between now and month end though - they seem like they are just as good a deal as the Gravity when upgrades are considered - bikes direct told me last week that new gravity bikes aren't expected until at least the end of september (if sooner I probably would've went with one myself!).

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

You pretty satisfied? I mean do you feel the urge to upgrade to the bigger brands?

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
    Boris bikes aren't in stock yet, shipping anytime between now and month end though - they seem like they are just as good a deal as the Gravity when upgrades are considered - bikes direct told me last week that new gravity bikes aren't expected until at least the end of september (if sooner I probably would've went with one myself!).
    Well poop! I thought I was the only one that bought off that site lol

Hooligan
    Yeah, i'm totally satisfied. i don't really care what brand's stickers are on the side of my frame (they all came from the same Taiwanese factory anyway). i'm just looking for something thats ridable, functional, and will hold together.
    so far this bike has been great, the fun per dollar value has been through the roof.
    on a bike like this, i consider the drivetrain to be consumable parts, and figure it won't last long in the brutal winter conditions regardless of if it's x4 or xo, so i just went for the lowest level that i could. the old 8 speed stuff is totally functional and sinfully cheap, so its a perfect match for a beater bike like this.
    if i had to do it again, i might try to get a bike that can clear the massive 4.8's like the lurch or the night train, but those are significantly more expensive and right now i can't afford them (and still make my tuition payment).

so in short, yes. for the price i am 100% satisfied. i feel like i got more than what i payed for.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Swapped out the bars and stem, what a difference! This is how I like to run most of my bikes.

Wider and shorter

Blue stem even matches the head badge a little bit.

Its perfect now. Nothing left to do but ride the wheels off of it!
    That stem is sweet!!

Hooligan
    haha thanks! i like it. it's a take off from a dirt jump bike.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

haha thanks! i like it. it's a take off from a dirt jump bike.
    Care to share the brand? I can't read that font lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tonygeo View Post
    Care to share the brand? I can't read that font lol
    FUNN

Funn Mountain Bike Components

Hooligan

Green floaters came in!

Shipped really fast. First impression is that this is an awesome tire for the money. 2 of them for $115, 120 tpi folding bead, ride really nicely. Lots of grip.

Nicole really likes hers too. She is the reason I got them, but now I'm glad that I did.

As you can imagine, They got a lot of attention. We got at least a doesen comments, ranging from "wow, nice bike" to "d@mn! That $hit's fresh!"
    These things take attention whoring to a whole new level. I wouldn't recommend them unless youre willing to have the "what's a fatbikes and where do you get them and what do they cost and what they are for and..." conversation over and over. Because suddenly EVERYONE wants to know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Those are cool
    Hey, what happen to the sixty something dude w/ the heart problem? [Bear]. He was going to buy a Gravity on the 1st. Hope he's still with us

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Attention brings crooks!! Those are some slick tires though!

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Those are cool
    Hey, what happen to the sixty something dude w/ the heart problem? [Bear]. He was going to buy a Gravity on the 1st. Hope he's still with us
    Yeah, you're right. Haven't heard anything from him for a while. I hope he got his bike and has been too busy riding it to post about it on the internet.

Hooligan

Put over 100 miles on the bike this weekend.

An abandoned building that has been converted into a skate park

Checking up on the local dirt jumps

Visiting a rope swing to cool off

Road over a car

The bike is still holding up well, but the hub has started making a click in noise when I really torque on it mashing up hills and stuff. Not sure what's out there for 170mm hubs, but I might want to start looking...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am really liking those tires. The On One Floater in colors I may have to get some...
    I see in the pics though you went back to the Missions, any reason other than using up the cheap tires first? The cheapskate in me wants to order the pink On Ones while they are still dirt cheap - but not quite sure I am manly enough to pull them off, LOL.

I may have to get a Gravity Monster for my son for Xmas - he is bugging me for one since I ordered a Sturgis Bullet for myself. :-) He is only 9 though so have to be a cheap fat bike for now because he is growing like a weed.

Cheers and awesome pics!

NeedGod.com
    Your hubs might need to be repacked. I've heard several people say they needed to repack the hubs on these BD bikes. Not enough grease applied at the factory.
    Nathan

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    I am really liking those tires. The On One Floater in colors I may have to get some...
    I see in the pics though you went back to the Missions, any reason other than using up the cheap tires first? The cheapskate in me wants to order the pink On Ones while they are still dirt cheap - but not quite sure I am manly enough to pull them off, LOL.

I may have to get a Gravity Monster for my son for Xmas - he is bugging me for one since I ordered a Sturgis Bullet for myself. :-) He is only 9 though so have to be a cheap fat bike for now because he is growing like a weed.

Cheers and awesome pics!
    Yeah, i am saving my floaters for the snow when i will really need the aggressive tires for the traction. the missions and wal-mart beast tires have more than enough grip for dirt and summer riding. they roll much better too.
    a small monster would be probably be perfect for your situation. depending on how big your kid is you may want to get a shorter stem and possibly trim the seatpost to get it low enough in the frame (i know i had to on the medium). if he outgrows it a few years down the line, you could probably flip it and make back most of your money.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    Your hubs might need to be repacked. I've heard several people say they needed to repack the hubs on these BD bikes. Not enough grease applied at the factory.
    i will tear them down and grease them up. i meant to do that before riding, but i was too excited to get it together and take it for a ride. i haven't really given the thing a break since i got it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yeah, i am saving my floaters for the snow when i will really need the aggressive tires for the traction. the missions and wal-mart beast tires have more than enough grip for dirt and summer riding. they roll much better too.
    a small monster would be probably be perfect for your situation. depending on how big your kid is you may want to get a shorter stem and possibly trim the seatpost to get it low enough in the frame (i know i had to on the medium). if he outgrows it a few years down the line, you could probably flip it and make back most of your money.
    Looks like I will be buying/trading an XS 2013 Pugsley for my son. :-) Spoiled kid.

He got to try out a Pugs that belongs to a friend's wife - and she is pregnant and wants to sell it... Fit him great and for $800 I think I am going to pull the trigger. He also needs some work done on his Jeep that I can do so partial barter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I might order this bike. It's available in all sizes in black (which will suit me better than green). I'm 6,0 with shoes on, so I wonder how accurate their chart is. Claims that an 18-inch is for me. I wear a 36/32 pants size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It is not actually in stock right now, won't be until October.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

From last week. I almost ordered it thinking it was in stock but vacation money was more important.

I LIKE BIKES

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Wait, so it's listed as in stock and then you're told it's out of stock?

Last night I checked and it listed that the green was only available in 22 inch but showed black was available in all sizes. I didn't go to checkout because I'm still on the fence about a lot of bikes. Yet, I assumed that since those sizes were available in the drop down menus that they were in stock.

What am I supposed to think if their website isn't updated regularly?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The ones showing as still available are the only ones you can still order. All of the first release (FB4) of the BD fat bikes sold before they ever shipped a single one. The green ones are already sold except the XL ones. They are not in stock but they are only making a certain number. Not just a BD thing. Salsa Bucksaws are now already sold out but they have not shipped a single one... I tried to order one but can't now. :-(

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yep, you're right. I just went back to the site and chose my size and sent it to Checkout. Sure enough, I got a message saying it wasn't available.

That stinks.

Oh well. They need to keep in mind that there are impulsive people like myself who will chase a different shiny object if I have to wait too long.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairmont View Post
    Wait, so it's listed as in stock and then you're told it's out of stock?

Last night I checked and it listed that the green was only available in 22 inch but showed black was available in all sizes. I didn't go to checkout because I'm still on the fence about a lot of bikes. Yet, I assumed that since those sizes were available in the drop down menus that they were in stock.

For some reason that bike in particular, and in black, is not updated properly - you are correct, they don't have them but do list them as available. If you add to cart, enter your shipping zip code and click checkout, you'll be taken to a page that says they are currently out of stock.

Their site is run at a very basic level, most of their inventory listings do seem to be updated correctly, however this is certainly an exception. That is what you get buying direct at near wholesale pricing - their email address is still @aol.com, so don't expect perfection here!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The drop downs aren't always upto date however when you check out (long before payment details) it has accurate inventory levels. Since I used a non American CC I called, about 2 minutes start to finish, bike ordered. It took exactly the 7 days.

I got & built up mine last week. It's my third Motobecane replacing the Gravity 29er SS for winter commuting; the other is a TI 29er X9. Only rode it the once before doing a major front & rear deralieur tune, and lubing the cable lines, was out of town since.

Mine came matt black, like it for stealth, installed with red wheel tape and came with yellow also.

It rides great. Swapping the pedals out for Wellsgo flats. Might put a CF bar on there for temperature management, shorter stem. Tyre pressure is a big variable. Sounds like I'll be doing the hubs too!

Gravity Bullseye Monster-gravmon1.jpg

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Gosh it's terrible seeing these things still out of stock lol

I LIKE BIKES

Hooligan
    waiting sucks, but i think its worth it. it was for me anyway. i'm really glad that i waited, because when the bike does finally arrive, its that much more rewarding. if you order now you guys will still get them in time for winter when you really need it. im glad i got in early and got to ride it all summer too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've been on the fence for three weeks about what I'll get. I bounce back and forth between 29er and fat bike, and I keep reminding myself that a fat bike really isn't the right bike for me, but those photos are so enticing. Why are fat wheels so attractive?!

I'll most likely end up with a 29er, and I'm finally starting to find some luck with CL in my area.

I have the patience of a cat.

Hooligan
    I've been on the fence for three weeks about what I'll get. I bounce back and forth between 29er and fat bike, and I keep reminding myself that a fat bike really isn't the right bike for me, but those photos are so enticing. Why are fat wheels so attractive?!

I'll most likely end up with a 29er, and I'm finally starting to find some luck with CL in my area.

I have the patience of a cat.
    why compromise? just build up a second 29" wheelset for your fatbike and have both.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    the stock 50mm rim, 80mm and 100mm rim made the tire size change pretty dramatic. ill post some pictures when i get around
    Hey coke, are you ever gona get around to it? im interested in seeing how the bike would look rolling 80mm rims. im gona keep riding the 50's until i cant anymore, but thinking about upgrading if i taco or something (not uncommon for me).

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Dirtdawg: Your thread helped me make up my mind. I would have ordered the std Bullseye but I fell that with my weight and size, 288lbs, 6' 1" and 32" inseam, and our trails here I need a wider tire 4.0 on the monster compared to 3.8 on the bullseye. would be better suited to the dirt and gravel we encounter. So I ordered an 18" monster. I just gave my son my Mongoose Dolomite and I really enjoyed using it for everything.
    Hey OldBear, youve been awful quiet for the past couple weeks. everything ok? did your bike ever come in?

mtbr member
    Noob here... looked at this bike online then found this thread. Would this be a decent fat bike for the street and light off road... for I hate to say it, fat dude? I am just trying to get some exercise, eat better, and hopefully lose some weight. I just tried to buy the matte black and like everyone else, its not available.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by tequilasunset View Post
    Noob here... looked at this bike online then found this thread. Would this be a decent fat bike for the street and light off road... for I hate to say it, fat dude? I am just trying to get some exercise, eat better, and hopefully lose some weight. I just tried to buy the matte black and like everyone else, its not available.
    Yeah man, I dont see why not. Theres nothing about it that's weak or wouldn't hold up to you riding it around. I would say go for it.

Hooligan

Awye

mtbr member
    I am now wondering if the Dolo would work just as well for half the price. I'm so new to all of this I'm not sure I can appreciate all the little nuances. I want to be able to mount this on the back of my Vanagon when I camp and I don't think 15lbs diff in weight will be a big deal for me.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast