Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tequilasunset View Post
    I am now wondering if the Dolo would work just as well for half the price. I'm so new to all of this I'm not sure I can appreciate all the little nuances. I want to be able to mount this on the back of my Vanagon when I camp and I don't think 15lbs diff in weight will be a big deal for me.
    from what i have read the dolo has a heavy wheelset that many replace. rolling weight can be a lot more work than overall weight, and upgrading the tires and tubes will bring you close to the cost of the gravity. you also have the benefit of having more gear range which will be very helpful when the hills roll around.

mtbr member
    Thx... good to know Pxpaulx

Hooligan
    I am now wondering if the Dolo would work just as well for half the price. I'm so new to all of this I'm not sure I can appreciate all the little nuances. I want to be able to mount this on the back of my Vanagon when I camp and I don't think 15lbs diff in weight will be a big deal for me.
    there is a big dolomite thread on here, you can read up on it and decide for yourself if you think that the bike will work for you. i know i almost did, but personally i'm glad that i waited for the gravity. the information is all here, it really comes down to what you want out of the bike. if you think that the mongoose will serve the purpose that you want it to, then go for it. in the end the only thing that matters is that you're happy with whatever bike you end up with. it doesn't matter what strangers on the internet think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Dolomite benefits are the cost and the really wide rims. downfall is the weight, non-sealed bottom bracket, heavy tires, and cheap metal. If you start replacing parts on the dolo right off the bat (new seatpost, handlebar, tires, and freewheel) you're pretty much at the price of the bullseye and it still won't be as reliable. If you get the dolo, ride it as it is and replace stuff as it breaks (most under warranty). Also, the dolo only comes in one size.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Dolomite benefits are the cost and the really wide rims. downfall is the weight, non-sealed bottom bracket, heavy tires, and cheap metal. If you start replacing parts on the dolo right off the bat (new seatpost, handlebar, tires, and freewheel) you're pretty much at the price of the bullseye and it still won't be as reliable. If you get the dolo, ride it as it is and replace stuff as it breaks (most under warranty). Also, the dolo only comes in one size.
    i didn't like that it doesn't follow any standards for bb or have a place to mount a FD. the freewheel rear hub makes it hard to upgrade/replace parts. that's just me though, i think that for just riding around it would be fine, but i wanted a bike that i could ride seriously and upgrade as i inevitably break things.
    honestly, i think that it would be fine for what tequilasunset wants to do with it. not having to wait months to get it is nice too.
    (keep in mind that i have never ridden one and don't actually know what i'm talking about)
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    i didn't like that it doesn't follow any standards for bb or have a place to mount a FD. the freewheel rear hub makes it hard to upgrade/replace parts. that's just me though, i think that for just riding around it would be fine, but i wanted a bike that i could ride seriously and upgrade as i inevitably break things.
    honestly, i think that it would be fine for what tequilasunset wants to do with it. not having to wait months to get it is nice too.
    (keep in mind that i have never ridden one and don't actually know what i'm talking about)

Gotta love the honesty!

Hooligan
    Gotta love the honesty!
    haha! yeah, honesty is big for me. i wish that people would stop trying to present their (often uninformed) opinions as fact. it's a huge pet peeve of mine, so i just wanted to put it out in the open that my speculations are based off of what i have read and heard from other people, and not my own first hand experience. i would hate to give you (or anybody else) false information.
    I CAN tell you for sure that the bullseye monster is a lot of bike for $500 and a great platform to build off of, but it sounds like you don't need that, and might be equally happy on the cheaper bike. i'm always in favor of getting what i want for the least possible cost.
    i'm happy to answer any questions about the BD bike, but like i said before, you should make up your own mind based on your personal preferences rather than just what people on an internet forum tell you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The deal breaker for me is the 47lb weight stock for the Dolomite. I was going to get one for my son to ride this winter but the weight scared me off so I got him a used Pugsley. :-)
    He wants a Boris X5 though so I may sell it (I can get and paid more for it than the X5)...

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    The deal breaker for me is the 47lb weight stock for the Dolomite. I was going to get one for my son to ride this winter but the weight scared me off so I got him a used Pugsley. :-)
    He wants a Boris X5 though so I may sell it (I can get and paid more for it than the X5)...
    what a little brat!

J/K, what a lucky kid. my dad never bought me a fat bike.

Hooligan

Re: Gravity Bullseye Monster

Still taking everything I can dish out.

And tonight I got a chance to put on the lock ons I got for it.

The color matches pretty well. I like it. Combined with the green tires it will be pretty neat looking.

I think if I do end up needing a new hub at some point, a set of the blue hopes would go really well with the stem and head badge.
    Last edited by dirtdawg21892; 08-30-2014 at 07:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Did re-packing work?

And nice grips. I'm at barely 20KM so far, been too busy & out of town, and TBH riding the other bikes.

i will tear them down and grease them up. i meant to do that before riding, but i was too excited to get it together and take it for a ride. i haven't really given the thing a break since i got it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    what a little brat!

J/K, what a lucky kid. my dad never bought me a fat bike.
    LOL! I suppose I shouldn't tell you about the Salsa Horsethief 1 I am building him for Christmas either then? He already has a built Soma Groove hard tail so he needs a fat bike and a full squish bike for the bike Trifecta, right? ;-)

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    LOL! I suppose I shouldn't tell you about the Salsa Horsethief 1 I am building him for Christmas either then? He already has a built Soma Groove hard tail so he needs a fat bike and a full squish bike for the bike Trifecta, right? ;-)
    Can I join your family?

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by dinkeldorf View Post
    Did re-packing work?

And nice grips. I'm at barely 20KM so far, been too busy & out of town, and TBH riding the other bikes.
    I haven tried it yet. I think the clicking might be coming from the pedals. Its my second set of the stockers, and needless to say the bearings are beyond shot. I ordered a set of flats from nashbar, but they are backordered and taking forever to get here.

Hooligan
    Well, the clicking isnt the pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Any word on stock? It's September, after all. I went to the black 18 inch and it said sold out when I attempted checkout. But 20-inch seemed in stock (I didn't buy, but was checking).

My worry is that I click to pay and then it says it's out of stock after taking payment.

Is 20-inch good for a 6,0 man with 32 inseam?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Uh oh. Crank / Cogs? Arthritis?

Well, the clicking isnt the pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    @Fairmont - BD seem to keep their inventory tied to their payment processor; you can't pay for an item not in stock. So the drop downs on the webpage are a bit slow, when you check out is when it trues up inventory. A lot of smaller webtailers do that, avoids dynamic content (that minute inventory) until truly needed.

I'm 6'-0" & 34" IS. FWIW I got the 20" Grav Bull Mon; The stem is quite long, lots of seat post to play with, and lots of saddle rail.

For comparison I also ride a 19" 'beacne HT 29er; a 56CM roadbike; 19" Kona FS Kona 29er. I recently decommissioned a 'becane 21" Gravity G29 SS 29er.

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairmont View Post
    My worry is that I click to pay and then it says it's out of stock after taking payment.

Is 20-inch good for a 6,0 man with 32 inseam?
    The Quiver: Argon 18 Krypton | Kona Hei Hei 29er fs| Motobecane Fly TI 29er ht| Gravity Bullseye Monster Fatty ht

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your problem dirtdawg. Check the bolts on e chainrings. and the front wheel to see if the QR needs tightning. Mine clicked a little and then I noticed that thje wheel moved a bit and I re adjusted the QR and the clicking stopped. I haven't made any additions to the bike except for a waterbottle cage and lights. Got close to 75 miles on the monster and I really enjoy it. I am looking for a rear rack and a better trailer to haul more stuff in. The little one I have hardly holds more than three of four bags of groceries. Peace and love and a cold one

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your problem dirtdawg. Check the bolts on e chainrings. and the front wheel to see if the QR needs tightning. Mine clicked a little and then I noticed that thje wheel moved a bit and I re adjusted the QR and the clicking stopped. I haven't made any additions to the bike except for a waterbottle cage and lights. Got close to 75 miles on the monster and I really enjoy it. I am looking for a rear rack and a better trailer to haul more stuff in. The little one I have hardly holds more than three of four bags of groceries. Peace and love and a cold one
    Glad to hear you're enjoying the new bike! I have always wanted a BOB trailer or something similar for hauling tools and doing trail work. i think i would be able to make one, the most difficult part looks like where it mounts to the bike. they probably wouldnt be the best option for groceries, but the narrow profile would fit nicely down the singletrack that i like to ride.

thanks to both of you for the suggestions, the QR's should be tight. i have the wheels off fairly often, but snugging it up a little bit shouldnt hurt. i will check the chainring bolts, as they could be clicking under pressure too. and as for arthritis.... i hope not, as i'm only 22.
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkeldorf View Post
    Uh oh. Crank / Cogs? Arthritis?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a matte black Bullseye Monster! Super excited. I was really torn between this and the Lurch, but I think the price on the Gravity was perfect. I rode through all of last winter in Fairbanks, AK on a mountain bike with studs, so I'm excited to see what kind of opportunities the fatbike will open up.

On a related note, has anybody found a compatible rear rack solution for this bike? I know that it doesn't have lower braze-ons for attaching a rack, but I'm wondering if some of the skewer-style racks would fit. I've got two nice panniers I'd hate to have to shelve for the winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by porkloin View Post
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a matte black Bullseye Monster! Super excited. I was really torn between this and the Lurch, but I think the price on the Gravity was perfect. I rode through all of last winter in Fairbanks, AK on a mountain bike with studs, so I'm excited to see what kind of opportunities the fatbike will open up.

On a related note, has anybody found a compatible rear rack solution for this bike? I know that it doesn't have lower braze-ons for attaching a rack, but I'm wondering if some of the skewer-style racks would fit. I've got two nice panniers I'd hate to have to shelve for the winter.
    You could use a rear rack and P clamps should work to attach to frame. You would just need to find right size P clamp and nuts/bolts. Find them at any hardware store and some even have rubber cushion like below (or use cut piece of old inner tube).
    Current bikes: 2010 Raleigh Talus 29er with Ergon GP5 grips, Shimano PD-T420 Click'R pedals, Topeak Explorer 29" Disc MTX Rear Rack and Topeak DXP bag.

2013 Walmart Mongoose Beast blue

"Put The Fun Between Your Legs"
    "26" isn't Dead, it just got FAT"
    "I Dream On Two Wheels"
    "Be The Motor, You Are The Engine"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So, I'm converting to a 1x8 on my Gravity Bullseye (non-monster). I removed the front derailleur and now there's a gap between the bottom bracket lip (on the drive side) and the shell. Should I back off the non-drive side cup or maybe ad a spacer to fill that gap?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

5 - 10 CM of snow yesterday. Guess who did some detours on the ride home?

Crazy Cowtown weather. Rode into work in torrential rain. This turned to puking snow by the after noon. So some detours were in order. Fun fun, didn't even notice I need to re-do front DR. New Wellgo pedals (thanks Amazon!) worked well. Will shorten stem but probably after a CF bar (from experience, around -20C a metal bar bites). Wooohoooo!
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-grabumon-snow.jpg
    The Quiver: Argon 18 Krypton | Kona Hei Hei 29er fs| Motobecane Fly TI 29er ht| Gravity Bullseye Monster Fatty ht

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Only joking on the arthritis! I swapped pedals out almost straight away, they're the same as my old recently retired but for spare parts Gravity G29 SS winter beater.

thanks to both of you for the suggestions, the QR's should be tight. i have the wheels off fairly often, but snugging it up a little bit shouldnt hurt. i will check the chainring bolts, as they could be clicking under pressure too. and as for arthritis.... i hope not, as i'm only 22.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Got my bike in today! Didn't waste any time getting it out on the trails.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-cphvesw.jpg

So far the bike seems great. Granted, I don't have any previous fatbike time in. Assembly was quick and easy - BD had greased everything properly before assembly, so it went real quick.

One other note for potential buyers: this bike does have lower braze-ons to receive a rear rack. Looking at photos on the BD website I couldn't ever tell if it did, since they usually protrude from the rear stays somewhat. I went with the advice above and used a Bontrager disc-brake compatible rack and threw it on with some p-clips. The bike does have upper braze-ons, but I couldn't get the rods to reach them. P-clips work just as well.

I'm thinking of replacing the missions with On-One Floaters, since I'm in Fairbanks, Alaska and the majority of my riding will be on snow. Opinions?

mtbr member
    Got my bike in today! Didn't waste any time getting it out on the trails.
    that's one helluva trail you got there. Is that ice slush?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    that's one helluva trail you got there. Is that ice slush?
    It's the ski trail system at our university. Most of the trails stay nice and dry through the summer and fall, but others (like this one) get real boggy. It's a mixture of the melting spongy active layer of permafrost and the summer rain flooding lowland spots that make it all puddly like this. Made for a really fun ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hit up some more out of season winter trails today for my second day on the bike:

Gravity Bullseye Monster-g8zqshg.jpg

Gravity Bullseye Monster-i3ydusz.jpg

Gravity Bullseye Monster-nskzzzo.jpg

The ground's all full of tussocks and super uneven and the brush is a little out of control, but it really makes me realize just how much more terrain a bike like this opens up.

mtbr member

Wink I'm Back!

Dirtdawag, Did you ever figure out what was clicking? I had a problem with the rear derailuer skipping and just adjusted it and it went away. As far as my protracted absence I had heart surgery in august and I was off my bike for a few days, they replaced my battery in my pacemaker, and I got to ride two days after the surgery. I found out that the Monster rides real well over technical sections. We rode a trail in an adjoining town that has loists of technical stuff, (root, rocks and rock gardens. Nothing rattled loose and the Mission tires were ok. I might try 45nrth's huskerdus on it. Any one try those tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Looks awesome Porkloin!

Hooligan

I'm thinking of replacing the missions with On-One Floaters, since I'm in Fairbanks, Alaska and the majority of my riding will be on snow. Opinions?
    Ive got a pair and like them a lot. If you really want max snow traction then I still have to reccomend the nates, (somebody hurry up and make a competitive tire so I can stop recommending overpriced surly stuff!) but the floaters are still a big step up from the missions, and for the price totally unbeatable.

Hooligan

Dirtdawag, Did you ever figure out what was clicking? I had a problem with the rear derailuer skipping and just adjusted it and it went away. As far as my protracted absence I had heart surgery in august and I was off my bike for a few days, they replaced my battery in my pacemaker, and I got to ride two days after the surgery. I found out that the Monster rides real well over technical sections. We rode a trail in an adjoining town that has loists of technical stuff, (root, rocks and rock gardens. Nothing rattled loose and the Mission tires were ok. I might try 45nrth's huskerdus on it. Any one try those tires?
    Glad to hear that everything went well amd youre back on the bike.
    As for the hub, I havent gotten a chance to do anything about it. School started back up and ive been super busy. It doesn't really make the scary pop in noise anymore, but im going to crack it open anyway. After almost 800 miles The bb is ticking and the chain is totally shot, so it will be spending some time in the shop soon anyway.

mtbr member

School daze.

dirtdawg. I hope that School goes well. I have put close to 200 miles on mine now and I hope to tack on a few more before the winter hits us hard. (subzero wind chills and ice on the ground) I am seriously considering having a second set of wheels built with studded tires. We usually get snow several times each winter and sometimes it hangs around for a week. The I44 corridor thru central Missouri seems to be a conduit for winter weather. The only problem I have had was adjusting the brakes. They seem a little harder to adjust than on the Trek single speed. But I finally dialed them in. Originally I had to tighten the screws on the calipers. nut that was it . I rode it right out of the box.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    As I'm researching more about wheel upgrades, I'm beginning to wonder if I should just pick up new rims as well as tires. Anybody have any experience with other rims on this bike? I know early on in the thread akacoke was saying 80mm was the biggest he could go with 4" tires. I'm curious to hear about how wider rims would effect performance on loose conditions. My understanding is that fat tires have a different "profile" depending on how wide the rims are. I've been keeping my eyes on craigslist and have seen a couple of full wheelsets come and go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    What are you hoping to get out of studded tyres? I used a set on a 26er a few years back in Southern Alberta & they were never quite right for me. I found they were good on hard pack, but sucked on hard ice, roots, rocks, curbs & roads. Is it hardback you're mitigating or the nasty melt freeze stuff?

It could have been all me but I used to get a false sense of security on hard pack & lose it once the studs hard surfaces.

SO then I rode the last two winters with just a 29er OK, and the Fatty hopefully will be better again.

Good luck!

I am seriously considering having a second set of wheels built with studded tires.

Hooligan

As I'm researching more about wheel upgrades, I'm beginning to wonder if I should just pick up new rims as well as tires. Anybody have any experience with other rims on this bike? I know early on in the thread akacoke was saying 80mm was the biggest he could go with 4" tires. I'm curious to hear about how wider rims would effect performance on loose conditions. My understanding is that fat tires have a different "profile" depending on how wide the rims are. I've been keeping my eyes on craigslist and have seen a couple of full wheelsets come and go.
    Ive been looking into wheels/hubs too. Considering a sarma hub, the 170 is only $180 shipped and has 120 poe.

mtbr member

need info on racks.

I was just wondering if anybody has mounted a rack on the rear of their monster? And if so what one works best?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have had my monster for about 3 months now and have put about 500 miles on it. I love this thing.

I am six one with a 32 inseam, bought the 20, wish I had bought the 18. I have been riding alot of rocks at the beach and the 20 feels big. The 18 probably would have been a betyer choice.

when I recieved the bike the front fork was bent, tweaked during shipping. BD customer service was awesome and took care of it immediately. I replaced the cassette and chain at 400 miles, it was skipping bad and was shot, (salt water fun, but not good for bikes). I too swapped the bars and stem and put on a set of rock bros flats.

I have a set of 80s on the way and will post pics when they arrive. Like others I replace as it breaks, or as I get bored. Good news is that most of the changes are from boredom, this is a well built bike for the cash. I am so glad I bought this bike and not the dolo. Love the beast for playing, love to ride yhe monster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I was just wondering if anybody has mounted a rack on the rear of their monster? And if so what one works best?
    Oldbear, as far as I know you can fit any disc-brake compatible rack onto this bike. I used this Bontrager one which I already had lying around. See the second photo on the site for the disc-brake specific version. I wasn't quite sure it was gonna span the rear stays exactly at first, but with a little stretching I made it fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    As winter is rapidly approaching I've been talking to some folks around town here in Fairbanks to get a feel for what kind of maintainence I should be doing during the winter. I figured I'd leave this link here, an article written by the creator of the snowcat rim (first fat bike rim) who lives here in town. If you're riding in extreme temps you might look at winterizing your freehub and save yourself some wear and tear.

Winterizing Your Freehub

mtbr member
    I still have not pulled the trigger (no job still and money going into my Vanagon instead)

Now that I see the flat black is available I am so tempted, but I keep seeing how you guys keep pouring money into the bikes (that kind of worries me) I have a Vanagon I can and am doing that with

One question, I have a knee that has been an issue for a while, and I would like to think this will help it more than hurt it (strengthen the muscles around it and tighten it up) Opinions on this from experience?

Hooligan
    ...I keep seeing how you guys keep pouring money into the bikes (that kind of worries me)
    I can only speak for myself, but the only money that I have poured into mine are either optional upgrades or routine maintenance that I would have to do on any bike that sees this kind of mileage.
    as I stated in the very first post, I think that this bike is totally rideable right out of the box, and if you don't want to upgrade it, you don't have to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I still have not pulled the trigger (no job still and money going into my Vanagon instead)

Now that I see the flat black is available I am so tempted, but I keep seeing how you guys keep pouring money into the bikes (that kind of worries me) I have a Vanagon I can and am doing that with

One question, I have a knee that has been an issue for a while, and I would like to think this will help it more than hurt it (strengthen the muscles around it and tighten it up) Opinions on this from experience?
    I would say that the amount of money you'll dump into the bike depends on what you want to do with it. Honestly, now that I'm looking at wheelset upgrades I almost think I would have been better off going with the Lurch since I'll be about at the cost of that bike when all is said and done, but with that said I'm happy I have this bike. But the only reason I really want to upgrade the rims and tires is for better performance on snow, since I'll be riding this as a daily commuter on cross country ski trails for ~4 months of the year. For me the extra cash to make the bike really float is worth it. If you're not planning on taking the bike into super extreme conditions then I don't think you'll have to put money into it. I could get by completely fine throughout the winter with the bike set up as it comes stock, but I want to make my winter ride as floaty as possible

mtbr member
    Welp... I done pulled the trigger on the flat black, which will go well on the bike rack of my flat white vanagon (need to get a rack) 2x as much as the Fat Wally but a lot lighter, and better from what everyone has said.

Thanks all for your input!
    Last edited by tequilasunset; 09-22-2014 at 10:50 PM.

mtbr member
    It's shipped!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Congrats on the new fatty. Heck and the vanagon flat! Depends on the knee issue ( I've had a few my self! ). Start slow, build up, take it easy listen to cues for bikefit & strain. Work out what fit / cadence / watts is optimal for you. It's easy with new ride to hop on & hammer but with injuries, start slow to go speed up. YMMV. And enjoy.

mtbr member
    How do you guys feel this stacks up against the Boris x5? it looks like the rims are smaller on this gravity? Any regrets?

mtbr member
    curious about this too. This was the main reason I went with the dolo. Superwide rims with a superwide tire. Otherwise it seemed like it was just a litle bit bigger tire than on my 29er..

mtbr member
    From their site
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-fat-tires.jpg  

mtbr member
    I am happy with the overall capabilities of my Monster and how it performs off road. I might swap out the tires for a lighter one and swap out the pedals too as the parts wear out. I have close to 300 miles on mine and have no complaints about how she handles except for the fact that my front brake occasionally squeaks. LOL And 5the tires are going to last me most of the winter depending how much snow and ice we have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    How do you guys feel this stacks up against the Boris x5? it looks like the rims are smaller on this gravity? Any regrets?
    I'm hoping to upgrade the rims eventually. I honestly just wasn't sure how much of a difference the 50mm vs. 80mm would be. For the time being I'm just going to roll with the 50's and see how they do. Tires profile seems plenty fat compared to my hardtail. Granted, when I run into the bike shop and see the Surlys and Salsas I get a tad envious of the ~5", but really I don't see the rim size being a major buzzkill or anything. If I could go back I might consider getting the Boris instead, but I'm happy with what I've got.

Just took mine out grouse hunting last night - I keep finding new uses for this beast.

mtbr member

What a drag!

You never know how much you miss riding until health sidelines you, even for a short time. I had a mini stroke, TIA, and can't ride until Saturday. Meanwhile I am getting ready to order a pair of wellgo pedals and maybe lighter tires and tubes to put on later this fall. My Wife keeps telling me how soon I can ride but it seems like an eternity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-20140925_164827.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-20140925_164744.jpg

Here are pictures of two four inch tires one on my gravity a 50 mm the other on my beast which is a 100mm. The difference is big. My 80s came in yesterday as soon as I get the hubs and laced I will post pictures of them.

I ride on the beach and am looking forward to the snow, hence the reason I am upgrading the size of my rims. With that said, my gravity is my primary bike and the 50s make it very fast on the street. They aren't bad on the sand, I like them on trails, I was just looking for more flotation this winter. I also came across a deal that was way too good to pass up. I would not worry about what others spend on their bikes, and would echo the above posts, I feel like I got way more than what I paid for.

mtbr member
    Well I did not read very carefully... I am in pre-order status and bikes are not shipping until mid-end of Oct

So with that I changed my order because I had been looking at the Boris X7, and now I am waiting on my Burnt Orange Boris

mtbr member

Enjoy your ride.

Tequilasunset: I hope you enjoy your ride. i am still looking for a rear rack for the Bullseye Monster. I want to get one so I can get rid of the back pack I now use to transport items from the store an use grocery paniers.

Hooligan

Took a trip up to millstone in Barre vt this weekend. The fatbike stuck to the big steep rocks like glue

It was a perfect fall day, the leaves are starting to turn, and its nice and cool

Locomotion

The New trail is a lot of fun, its called the angry gnome and has a ton of bridges like these.

top of a big climb

Overall the fat bike was great on the steep rocky tech stuff that makes up about Half of millstone, the other side is a lot of roots and winding trails thay left me wishing I had a lighter suspend bike. Normally I dont mind pushing the fat around, but it was a Long day. Lots of fun!

mtbr member

I have roots in Barre!

My roots go back a long way in this country and My Great Grandfather worked in the Barre granite quarries. Dirtdawg, your pictures make me want to visit New England again. I am riding daily on my monster on the local trails and it hand les great. I have set my PSI at 8psi front and 12 rear. It is the optimum for me on both pavement and dirt. I hope that all is well with everyone on the thread as we head into a new month of fat adventures. Peace

mtbr member
    Welp, pulled the trigger on this. Was looking at a cheap fat bike to work on over the winter, and this seemed to fit the bill a little better than a Walgoose. Now we'll see when the heck this thing ships....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnmusic View Post
    Welp, pulled the trigger on this. Was looking at a cheap fat bike to work on over the winter, and this seemed to fit the bill a little better than a Walgoose. Now we'll see when the heck this thing ships....

Mid to end of Oct, congrats

mtbr member
    The waiting game begins!!!

Hooligan
    My roots go back a long way in this country and My Great Grandfather worked in the Barre granite quarries. Dirtdawg, your pictures make me want to visit New England again. I am riding daily on my monster on the local trails and it hand les great. I have set my PSI at 8psi front and 12 rear. It is the optimum for me on both pavement and dirt. I hope that all is well with everyone on the thread as we head into a new month of fat adventures. Peace
    Thanks OldBear! All is well over here. School is keeping me really busy, but I have been getting out for bigger destination rides on the weekends. I'm trying to enjoy fall as much as i can before the leaves come down and it gets cold.
    Next weekend is a big MTB ride that i do every year, i'm planning to take the monster. It's 30 miles of the most brutal and technical trails in the area, and the fat bike will make that an even bigger challenge. should be a great time, i'm really excited!

mtbr member
    Someone calm my mind here, as I'm getting buyers remorse after not seeing a lot of reviews up about this bike. Any issues with frame strength? Any issues at all so far? I have like 3 weeks to fret about this now.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnmusic View Post
    Someone calm my mind here, as I'm getting buyers remorse after not seeing a lot of reviews up about this bike. Any issues with frame strength? Any issues at all so far? I have like 3 weeks to fret about this now.
    None whatsoever.
    I can almost guarantee that i ride it harder than you will, and it has held up wonderfully. it's seen 800 miles worth of drops, jumps, and really rough terrain and I have nothing bad to say about it. Hands down the best $$ to fun ratio i have ever had on any bike, period.
    Sorry if that doesn't make the wait easier, but i can safely say that it's the best $500 I have ever spent.

mtbr member
    Eh, that helps. Not so much for me anyway, as much as for my GF. We're splitting a 2014 Pug right now, but splitting a fat bike isn't that fun.

Agreed on the riding harder part, although I'm more worried about the brutal Midwest winter we're supposedly in for.

mtbr member
    Woodnmusic: I own a Gravity Bullseye Monster. I tip the scales at the Doctors office at 269lbss. I ride my fatty over some trails locally and it has not failed me yet. There is no noticeable flex in the frame and the wheels seem pretty durable. I have almost 400 miles on mine and the tires still have the little 'spikes on the side nobs. By the way when I started cycling again in July I weighed in at 308. That's a 39 pound loss. My Doctors is happy, my Wife is happy and I am happy and getting fit.
    So get your fat bike and enjoy. PEACE. Oldbear52

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Woodnmusic: it's incredible bang for the buck, probably the best there is right now. Relax, it's all good. I got into this wanting to try a fat bike without spending the big coin. Turns out I got a great bike & will be spending lots of time in winter riding out side!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Milstone is a blast, we just moved to the area this past year, spent every other day on the trails with my 26'' ironhorse.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_3864.jpg

the granite is sweet, hope to hit up the angry gnome you posted pics of before the season ends

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_3866.jpg

Really wanna try a fat bike this winter but I was looking between this and the Dolomite. It seems either way you have to expect $150-$200 in upgrades for either bikes because of bars/tires$$$/shifters/gearing on the dolo. Also looks like lots of people have drilled their wheels for weight savings. This tread makes this bike sound nice though.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by momikey View Post
    Really wanna try a fat bike this winter but I was looking between this and the Dolomite. It seems either way you have to expect $150-$200 in upgrades for either bikes because of bars/tires$$$/shifters/gearing on the dolo. Also looks like lots of people have drilled their wheels for weight savings. This tread makes this bike sound nice though.

I have to disagree, I put a lot of miles on the bike before upgrading anything, and to this day the only upgrades have been preference. Personally I think it's totally ridable right out of the box (unlike the dolo). I like wide bars and a short stem, so I swapped on a set that i had kicking around. in this case it didnt cost me anything, but even if i went out and got a high dollar fat bike, i would be making the same changes because they dont sell a fatbike that is set up to my preferences.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I get what your saying, I guess with any of these fat bikes you need a separate set of tires, for snow as compared to trail riding, is that right? I still see people adding rapid shift/rear cassette with bigger short gears/and a cup BB for only about $50, and with having a whole fleet of 26'' bikes for the summer Im trying to justify buying one of each (Gravity) for me and the lady to buy for just a winter bike be around $1000.

mtbr member
    I Have to Agree wholehearttedly with dirtdawg on this. The monster is a good bike right out of the box. You really don't need to change a lot of expensive components unless you want too. I only plan to replace my pedals right now. Maybe the tires come spring. But the other parts will only be replaced when they wear out or break. My drive train will suffice until It no longer functions likewise the wheelset. Really the Gravity Bullseye Monster is a great value for the price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So is this bike just a 29er version of the bike in this thread:
    Save Up to 60% Off 29Plus, 27Plus Fat Bikes, Mountain Save Up to 60% Off New Bikes

I don't know much about fat bikes.

Hooligan

Well, I Survived the big Kahana in the pouring rain on the fat bike, however the bike didn't fare so well...
    In a nutshell, the drive train exploded. Not pictured is the 32t sprocket, which also folded so that it can't hold a chain anymore. Since it has a bash, I know it isn't because I hit it on rocks. This is just a matter of the gears folding under the torque required in the big ride.
    The 22t and other 7 gears on the cassette still worked fine, so I managed to finish the ride without any more issues. Despite the equipment failures (which I'm emailing bd about) it was an awesome ride
    slippery skinnys

Glouster is often referred to as little moab

mtbr member
    found this on angry gnome

The Angry Gnome - YouTube
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

Hooligan
    Not even 24 hours later and bd is sending warranty parts my way. I can't say enough good things about them.

mtbr member
    Not even 24 hours later and bd is sending warranty parts my way. I can't say enough good things about them.
    That's awesome! How many miles would you say you've got on your Monster now?

Biding my time debating between the Monster and X5.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Just ordered a Bullseye Monster in 16" in Silver.

Can someone tell me if these come with presta or schrader valves?
    Also want to order Wellgo replacement pedals, do I get the 9/16" or a diff size?

New to fat bikes and new to this forum and new to MTB. Glad to be here.

Thanks

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Pasquale View Post
    Just ordered a Bullseye Monster in 16" in Silver.

Can someone tell me if these come with presta or schrader valves?
    Also want to order Wellgo replacement pedals, do I get the 9/16" or a diff size?

New to fat bikes and new to this forum and new to MTB. Glad to be here.

Thanks
    Comes with Schrader tubes. And yes standard 9/16 pedals.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by aClockworkJake View Post
    That's awesome! How many miles would you say you've got on your Monster now?

Biding my time debating between the Monster and X5.
    Im coming up on 900 miles.

Hooligan

Apparently bikes direct found my thread!

mtbr member
    Pasquale: welcome to the world of fat biking! I am sure you'll enjoys it! Are you sure you ordered a Monster in silver? when you get your bike, post some pics of it. By the way the pedals are 9/16. I haven't been on here for a while and I think it's neat to see some new blood. I took my Monster on a 40 mile trip on a rails to trails site called the Katy Trail state Park. It is an old railway right of way that runs from around St. Charles Mo. to Sedalia Mo. You can make a family vacation out of riding it. It is around 250 miles long and cuts through the center of the state. It is flat so climbs aren't an issue and there is camping sites, Both private and state along it. We rode west on it from Columbia Mo0. twenty miles and turned around. The Monster performed great and now it's closer to 500 miles on it since July.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks Dirtdog and oldbear.

Yes - they now are offering Bullseye Monster in silver along with the green and matte black.

I'll have to keep Katy Trails in mind if I visit MO. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Oldbear - you reminded me of the Katy Trail I used to run along in Uptown Dallas when there on work trips! I never knew but thanks to wiki now and your post it's origins. Sounds awesome.

I took my Monster on a 40 mile trip on a rails to trails site called the Katy Trail state Park. It is an old railway right of way that runs from around St. Charles Mo. to Sedalia Mo. You can make a family vacation out of riding it. It is around 250 miles long and cuts through the center of the state. It is flat so climbs aren't an issue and there is camping sites,

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    Fatty exploring a newly constructed lake. This place is a hidden gem begging for new trails. The Monster is still riding strong since June. I have ridden it everywhere including a 52 mile journey of mixed trails, highway, back roads, and gravel roads to 3 beautiful lakes around the area. I absolutely love this bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-bono-14.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input guys, but I decided to cancel my BD order for a Bullseye Monster. Just too many questions with no answers is the main reason. Other things I had time to consider were (in no particular order) the good standing relationship I have with my LBS and their crew, the reliability+R&D behind the current Pugsley that I own, and the type of trail riding I do.

I remember seeing a bent rim earlier in this thread, as well as chunking Vee tires, and some other things that I personally don't think you should be dealing with in the first few months of owning a bike. I'm not knocking the Bullseye Monster by any means, but it's not really my cup of tea.

Even though I'm picking up a Pug Ops today, definitely keep posting about this bike. I'm interested in seeing how it wears over time. It may just be the next Motobecane (generally, the most accepted of BD fat bikes).

Thanks guys! Enjoy the fats!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    [QUOTE=dirtdawg21892;11339516]After 200 miles of abuse, the bike is still holding up from the most part.

I am so glad that the bike came with a bash, I have been thankful for it almost every time I ride it.

I like that bash guard! Just checked the other fat bikes on BD and looks like this is the only model with that feature. Thanks posting a picture of it because the description on specs only describes it as a chain cover. Bash guard better describes it. I've had chain covers made of plastic.
    Last edited by Pasquale; 10-12-2014 at 05:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Dawg did you ever post up a weight on this bike? I'm actually eyeing the Deadeye version. Also curious how you feel about the rims being 50mm? I know they aren't the lightest or strongest rims out there but curious if the owners of this bike wish they had wider rims?

mtbr member
    LOVE THIS THREAD! I did not see it before today....last night, we ordered my GREEN Gravity Bullseye Monster. You guys have me chomping at the bit for it to arrive.

I am 57 y/o and overweight with lung issues. Can't help it/Can't stop the feeling, I want a Fatty to ride on Snow! (I used to be a Sled Dog Racer) I have been researching the Fatties for a while now. I have ridden the Dolomite, around Walmart, yes, really, and higher dollar Fatties on test rides at and around Bike Shops. I really shopped to find the best Fatty for me and my situation (we ride Mt Bikes 25 - 42 miles per week) I am pretty sure that the Green Bike coming my way.....IS IT!

mtbr member

Excellent Choice!

Marna: You have made an excellent choice! I own one in matte black and have nearly 500 miles on it. I too am overweight, 262 lbs on a 6'1" med frame. Since I returned to cycling I have lost 46 pounds. Also My heart has become more functional. I am a congestive heart failure patient with diabetes type 2 and arthritis in my arms and knees. But cycling has helped with conditions too. So when you ride, ride for the pure enjoyment of it. You'll discover that the scenery is prettier and that you'll discover things you have never seen before. Old Bear52

mtbr member
    Thank you Old Bear 52,
    My husband and I Used to ride bicycles over 1000 miles per year, but had not in about 16 years. Our "good" and touring bikes are in storage in WI, we are in NW SD. So, this Spring, we bought Genesis 29" Bikes and have been riding almost every single day. I ride the Stationary Bike when it rains here.
    Exercise and riding my bicycle has sure made me healthier again too!
    THANKS FOR YOUR POST!
    I can not wait for my Green Monster to arrive!

mtbr member

BD customer comments.

Dirt Dawg: I was just looking at the BD site. I saw your comment on the Monster, and your post on it. ( I reread It for the second time), If you look above yours you'll see a comment by OB. It's me! I think it's funny that I never noticed it before. I like how BD pays attention to what we say. I am one of three fat bikers in this town that ride daily and the other two ride BD Gravity Bullseye Monsters. We meet once in a while out on the Lion's Club Trail Seems some MTN bikers around here like to poke fun of those on fat bikes until they get passed in loose gravel/sand. lol I guess they've never ridden one yet. PEACE. Oldbear

mtbr member

Have Monster, will travel.

I just spent three hours with a good friend from Kuwait who is graduating in December, He is getting a bullseye monster in silver after he got to ride mine around a lake near his apartment. Then he tells me that in November he is giving us his car, a 2004 Crown Victoria. He doesn't want to ship it home and wants us to have it because he doesn't want to ship it home. He says near his home theres lots of beach and sand dune riding he wants to do and his current Mtn bike just won't cut it.
    And so this brings me to the point of this post. Oldbear and his wife, Sue are going to take some trips that we haven't been able to do for about 15 years. First is Sedona in early April. We want to spend a week there and soak up some desert sun and warm our bones from the Midwest winter. Of course the Monster will be going with to get some sand and redrock dust on it. Next in May, we plan on attending the Dirt Fest in Pennsylvania. I hope that registration open soon so we can reserve a houseboat for my wife, son and I. I am personally looking forward to riding some of the excellent trails around the area and attending the bike expo and some skills clinics. then for the last week in September and first week ion October we plan on heading west again to out personal mtn biking Mecca, Moab #

Utah. It's almost 20 years since we have been there and we want to look fir a house or manufactured home to but so we can 'retire"' out there. If not in Moab proper maybe out in the area near Lasalle.
    Plus if the VA gets it act together and gives me my disability, I hope to own a Gravity full suspension fat bike.
    Soooo if you attend the Dirt Fest, and see a
    gray bearded old fart on a well used black Gravity Bullseye Monster wearing a florescent green shirt and plaid baggies.
    It's most likely me!
    (of course Moab should be on almost everyone's bucket list)

the Oldbear Fred Peace

mtbr member
    Is dirt fest at ray's town lake? If so those trails are great and you will love it. I've never been to the event but did a camping trip there last year.

mtbr member
    hankscopio: That's the one! The last time I was in Pa. was 1981at Gettysburg, for a Civil war reenactment.

mtbr member
    Obviously tons of good trails in PA but Raystown is really nice if you are into flow and not looking for really steep technical trails (which there are plenty of nearby if you are into that) Ray's town was machine cut so its pretty smooth and while it out in the mountains there isn't a ton of climbing. Oldbear how do you feel about the rims on your gravity? Do you wish they were wider?

mtbr member
    I haven't really given the rim situation much thought. But Yes I wouldn't mind an 80mm rim that would work with the tires and hubs without too much hassle.

mtbr member
    I just spent three hours with a good friend from Kuwait who is graduating in December, He is getting a bullseye monster in silver after he got to ride mine around a lake near his apartment. Then he tells me that in November he is giving us his car, a 2004 Crown Victoria. He doesn't want to ship it home and wants us to have it because he doesn't want to ship it home. He says near his home theres lots of beach and sand dune riding he wants to do and his current Mtn bike just won't cut it.
    And so this brings me to the point of this post. Oldbear and his wife, Sue are going to take some trips that we haven't been able to do for about 15 years. First is Sedona in early April. We want to spend a week there and soak up some desert sun and warm our bones from the Midwest winter. Of course the Monster will be going with to get some sand and redrock dust on it. Next in May, we plan on attending the Dirt Fest in Pennsylvania. I hope that registration open soon so we can reserve a houseboat for my wife, son and I. I am personally looking forward to riding some of the excellent trails around the area and attending the bike expo and some skills clinics. then for the last week in September and first week ion October we plan on heading west again to out personal mtn biking Mecca, Moab #

Utah. It's almost 20 years since we have been there and we want to look fir a house or manufactured home to but so we can 'retire"' out there. If not in Moab proper maybe out in the area near Lasalle.
    Plus if the VA gets it act together and gives me my disability, I hope to own a Gravity full suspension fat bike.
    Soooo if you attend the Dirt Fest, and see a
    gray bearded old fart on a well used black Gravity Bullseye Monster wearing a florescent green shirt and plaid baggies.
    It's most likely me!
    (of course Moab should be on almost everyone's bucket list)

the Oldbear Fred Peace
    VERY KOOOOOL! AND GOOD FOR YOU!

I wanted to ask you if I could repost your first post to me about your health and how you have improved it with riding a bike on my Bicycle Blog at Does My Butt Look Big In The Saddle - Front Page as well as send it in a post to a Yahoo List I host with the same name?

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    Dawg did you ever post up a weight on this bike? I'm actually eyeing the Deadeye version. Also curious how you feel about the rims being 50mm? I know they aren't the lightest or strongest rims out there but curious if the owners of this bike wish they had wider rims?
    I never got a chance to weigh it, and now that it's been modded it wont be a super accurate number. many others have it now though, somebody must have weighed it when it came out of the box. i'm gona stand behind my previous estimate of 34-35lbs, but if sombody has a real number, speak up!
    and on the wider rims note: i really like the way it handles on the trails with the slightly narrower profile. it makes the tires taller and offeres a bit more protection for the rims. that being said, i have been looking into building a second wheelset with 80mm rims for the winter, because i want more engagement and as much float as i can get.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. Actually considering the ss version also. Or kicking out a few more bucks for the fb4 comp

mtbr member
    Marna: I am not that computer savy to repost It. I will keep on writing and posting here if you see something you can print it out and put it on your blog and yahoo. com page. It's kinda hard when they only thing this laptop does is act as a portal to the web.
    On the bike front we are going to order a Gravity Bullseye monster for my oldest son who has autism. He can ride a bike and deserves one of these for himself. We are ordering in March cuz we gotta save for it. It will be a green 16 inch. He's currently riding a walgoose beat and keeps wanting me to lower the seat on mine to ride it Then the next bike is for my wife next fall after her surgery to remove a tumor. Your Humble Obedient Servant, OldBear

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast