Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Got my Trek Farley built, now I need some weight loss suggestions.

I couldn't get the complete bike, sold out immediately. So I got the frame and robbed all the parts off of my Mukluk. I must say the handling is greatly improved with the Trek frame. Stiffer and more solid feeling and I can toss it around like my Superfly Single Speed. The frame and fork are exactly 1lb lighter than the Mukluk. But I'm still at 28lb. I saw the other thread with a 24lb build geared and I'm running single speed, so I know I have lots of room for improvement. The biggest areas I see are wheels and crank.

I've been reading post for a few days but I'm not coming up with a clear conclusion.

Wheel suggestions? I'm willing to try the skinnier rims. No sand or snow in my regular riding area. I'm just using this as a trail bike.

Crank? I've seen e13 and race face names tossed around...

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got my Trek Farley built, now I need some weight loss suggestions.-image.jpg  

Got my Trek Farley built, now I need some weight loss suggestions.-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    WTF with the pics? My originals were right side up till I downloaded them. Then I flipped my originals and tried again. Same thing!

mtbr member
    Did you take them with your phone camera? Mine come up inverted if I upload from my "camera" folder. But if I use a crop & paste app, then save them unchanged to my "camera" folder on my iPad, they come up fine.
    Just a thought....
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Bikes always weight more when they're upside down.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ok. I think I followed you instructions...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got my Trek Farley built, now I need some weight loss suggestions.-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I hate technology sometimes!

Nuts
    I think a new Marge Lite wheelset with lighter hubs/spokes would be your best bet for loosing weight, it might save you 2-2.5 lbs but that's just a guess without pounding the numbers.
    And I love beer!!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Loose lips sink ships!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Guys you all screwed up an ample opportunity for an Australia joke.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Elitest thrill junkie
    MTBR sometimes flips pictures and doesn't let you rotate them. You submit them right-side-up and for some reason it thinks a different way is up. This was happening to me a few months back a lot.

As far as where to save weight, the guy with the 24lb has a 130g Selle Italia SLR I think. You should have carbon bars around 160g most likely. No more than a 160mm rear brake and maybe look into some of the new carbon rotors out there. Stem is usually a crappy place to save weight, but since you don't have a lot of other places to go, that *might* be one.

Much better bang for the buck:

Carver Carbon fork.

Eggbeaters.

Tubeless.

And of course it looks like the guy with that 24lb bike has skinny rims and the tires seem more like 3.8s...

Point is, to get pretty light you make reasonable upgrades and spend a reasonable amount of money and time to do so. To get stupid light, you have to spend a stupid amount of money.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If your going to ride more trail than soft & loose, go w/ the Marge lite's or even some 50's. And consider a Ft. susp. fork. The Farley (reportedly) has a 190mm A to C, same as my custom built for the Maverick. Short chainstay's, little steeper HT, tighter clearance... possibly not best for snow & sand, but a ripper on trails, snowy trails, sandy trails, jeep trails... I think the Trek's gonna be a trail rippin' fat bike because of it's geo let alone optional weight savings.

FILE0037

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    [QUOTE=ward;10762121]If your going to ride more trail than soft & loose, go w/ the Marge lite's or even some 50's. And consider a Ft. susp. fork. The Farley (reportedly) has a 190mm A to C, same as my custom built for the Maverick. Short chainstay's, little steeper HT, tighter clearance... possibly not best for snow & sand, but a ripper on trails, snowy trails, sandy trails, jeep trails... I think the Trek's gonna be a trail rippin' fat bike because of it's geo let alone optional weight savings.

I think from memory because the Farley is based on the Superfly which alone has awesome singletrail presence. Mine is being built as a single track weapon and also the ability for sand riding, I am no pro on the trails but I plan to use my Farley fattie to have some spirited fun and soak up some decent enduro rides.
    Last edited by hardly_stuntworthy; 01-05-2014 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I thought of it, but then I realised he's inflating his tyres with helium.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Alright down under, were getting them the right way up for once.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got my Trek Farley built, now I need some weight loss suggestions.-image2.jpg  

Got my Trek Farley built, now I need some weight loss suggestions.-image1.jpg  

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ive always wanted to go to Australia! Hahaa. Thanks for the picture fix.

Ive already got bontager xxx carbon bar, x light stem, super light road saddle and the seat post is pretty light. XT brakes. So I should be more specific with my question.

What's the lightest wheel set i can build? Skinny rims are fine.

What's the lightest crank that will fit?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My 24# Farley has a RaceXLite post, WCS stem, Answer carbon bars, RaceFace turbine crank and a Selle San Marco Magma saddle - all of which some pretty lightweight stuff. Also the Northpaw rims are quite easy on the scale.

Remember every 110grams you take off is a 1/4 pound.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't go any smaller rim than a Marge Lite... otherwise you will limit your tire selection (I can get 4.8" tires on Marges). Mate those rims to lightweight hubs like 616 or Hope. If running tubes, move to Q-Tubes Super Light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I doubt you're gonna get 4.8" tires in a Farley. Ditto on the Qtubes as a good place to save weight.

Quote Originally Posted by 3speed View Post
    Remember every 110grams you take off is a 1/4 pound.
    I lost 110 grams in the toilet this morning. My moonlander should probably be faster after work. I dunno though... I have a big lunch planned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3speed View Post
    I doubt you're gonna get 4.8" tires in a Farley.
    I guess I should have read up on the Farley... I'm a bit surprised they didn't design it to fit both fat (4") & big fat (5"). Or at the very least, a big fat front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Keeping it to 3.8" clearence allows for a little shorter chain stays. Guessing they're aiming at a faster, quicker, more trail oriented purpose with the Farley.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ditto on the Marge Lites!
    I've been doing some wheel builds for a local shop and found the Marge Lites - built up with 130/190 Borealis Hubs / DT Swiss 2.0/1.8 Double Butted weigh in at about 2300g. I've also built some for a real weight weenie - used DT 2.0/1.5 triple butted and it shaved about 140 grams. I've actually ridden the Yampa with those wheels and the bike is narrow-bike fast!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

I'm shooting for 23lbs by the end of the month. I will keep you posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marty-mj
    Dakar 650b Pro Full Squish & Trek Farley Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

One suggestion that I will make is spend all of your money on a lightweight set of wheels. Rotating wait is much harder to get moving and keep moving.

i9 hubs with Marge light rims with an uber light cassette. Convert to tubeless using Gorilla Clear Repair tape, 4 cups of Stan's and a set of light weight tires that match your riding conditions.

Marty-mj
    Dakar 650b Pro Full Squish & Trek Farley Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Lock-on grips weigh something like 90-120 g. I'd swap them to foam or silicon grips For example Lizard Skins DSP grips are quite light (mine weighed 25 g with end plugs) and feel quite comfortable:

Name:  1382697506182-1s97zlrcef9nv-500-70.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  19.4 KB

ESI silicon grips and Rithchey's foam grips are also nice IMO, although they are not exactly lightweight (≈50 g).

I would even say that in this case the lighter option, i.e. foam/silicon grips would be both more comfortable and secure than lock-on grips (as lock-on mechanism can break if the grip suddenly twists).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast