Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ouch....

gorilla tape fail....

So my rear wheel started losing air last week.... No big deal, been about a year since I taped it up....
    Pulled it all apart, cleaned the rim, re taped, fresh sealant.
    Within 30 mins it's leaking out the rim holes...
    Wtf?
    Two layers of tape.....

About the same time I'm messing with rear, the front starts to leak out of the rim holes too....

By this time I'm done with it, no time for a bike ride, grrrr....

Went to lbs, grabbed a couple 24"-2.75 tubes with removable core, split tube it is.

Held air perfectly last night and no issues today riding 30 miles...
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My experience with Gorilla Tape is it needs a few days under pressure from a tube before it fully adheres to the rim. If liquid gets under it before then, the tape slips around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    split toob seems like the way for us anti-fiddlefvckers to go.

jisch as been kind with info sharing.

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think the rim needs to be really REALLY clean before you apply tape. I always drench mine in simple green...then take isopropyl alcohol and wipe it down real good. Let the iso flash off, then apply tape.

But, I am split tube now, and won't ever go back...EVARRRRR!!!!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Yep, it just works.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Tried the Gorilla tape, had similar results. Then, i figured out that rim strip for Clown Shoes, just might work to keep Marge Lites airtight. Yep, it works swell, no tape needed.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

ouch....
    Is going to try that, no lbs had that rim strip in stock....

Only thing that bothers me, when you let the air out, the beads pop off easily with the split tube....
    With the tape, even after all air is out, you really have to force the bead off....
    Dunno, maybe after its been on for a while it'll permanently seal better?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Tried the Gorilla tape, had similar results. Then, i figured out that rim strip for Clown Shoes, just might work to keep Marge Lites airtight. Yep, it works swell, no tape needed.
    Riding.....

mtbr member

gorilla tape fail....

Who has the best tutorial on this method?

I LIKE BIKES

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What's a split tube?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    split toob seems like the way for us anti-fiddlefvckers to go.
    Except it's a one shot deal and you have to toss the tube when you change tires. (Unless someone has come up with a method to reuse or tape a split-tube setup???)

Loser
    The split tube in my front wheel has been used in 3 different rims with three different tires over the last 9 months or so. It's got two holes in it, but it's still holding air - I tried to make sure the holes were above the rim, I guess it worked.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If you don't trim it too closely, you can reuse them, I have, numerous times. Just need a little extra care is all, no more time spent than all that taping, overnight tube pressurizing, etc.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    If you don't trim it too closely, you can reuse them, I have, numerous times. Just need a little extra care is all, no more time spent than all that taping, overnight tube pressurizing, etc.....
    Interesting.. I'd guess around a 1/4" extra on the edges? Might be worth a shot, but as Shark mentioned it's reealllly nice having that bead seal, just for ease of working on the tire.

mtbr member

gorilla tape fail....

I've been split tube for two years on a MLr. I run 5 lbs of air with no problem. I let the air out to add Stan's with the injector and the bead stays seated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Is going to try that, no lbs had that rim strip in stock....

Only thing that bothers me, when you let the air out, the beads pop off easily with the split tube....
    With the tape, even after all air is out, you really have to force the bead off....
    Dunno, maybe after its been on for a while it'll permanently seal better?
    I had to special order mine, it was worth the wait. The bead doesn't unseat easily and it can be reused. I have 1400 miles and 2 sets of tires on mine since February.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    I run gorilla tape without any issues. But it takes proper prep. I use brake cleaner first then ISO alcohol. Never had a seal issue so far and I mount and add sealant right away.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

ouch....
    Yup I cleaned the rim as well....who knows, maybe my roll of tape it defective....

I'll be curious if I let the pressure out after a while, if the beads stay-put.
    When I removed the core to inject sealant, they fell off after first install. With the tape, there was always the "pop", then you could let pressure out right away and they stuck.

Have 2 good rides on them so far with split tube, no leaks, no burps, no problems.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've been using the Clown Shoe strip method on Marge Lites for nearly a year and no problems at all.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Yup I cleaned the rim as well....who knows, maybe my roll of tape it defective....
    With Gorilla tape, you don't know what you'll get.

There's so many reports across a wide range of applications where Gorilla tape works for one instance, and fails for the other in the identical environment with the identical materials (same batch/source) and identical prep (in some cases, literally 20' apart). It looks like there are far too many reports for this to be an occasional bad roll/batch.

Unlike the majority of quality tapes, "Gorilla" won't publish data for tensile strength nor for adhesion. Independent tests have tensile strength varying from 40 to 58 lbs. per inch, and adhesion between 45 to 80 oz. per inch. In an area where an engineer will decide between a tape with 48 oz. adhesion vs. one with 52 oz. adhesion, 45 to 80 is a huge variance. Is this a QA problem, different standards in different factories/countries, or does it suffers degradation due to varying conditions or age (be it in transit, storage, retail shelf or once in the consumers' hands)?

The anecdotal evidence for Gorilla Tape seems to be:
    • higher heat, higher rate of failure,
      (both when heated, and once cooled back down)
    • if you've got a fail using Gorilla Tape, if your surface prep is good, look to trying a different roll of Gorilla tape from a different source
    • or go for a different tape. Tapes that publish their results and the tape performs to spec.

Given the variety of tapes with published specs, there has to be a better choice.
    And some will publish their adhesion to Al, not just to steel.

Loser
    I agree with that - I tried two different rolls of Gorilla tape on my Specialized Fatboy rims, I cleaned the rims with soapy water, then alcohol. I tried Gorilla tape three times with those two rolls and it failed every time. When I pulled it apart, the tape came off the rim with ease, it did not adhere well at all, never mind being air tight. Before the last attempt I lightly sanded the rims with 400 grit sandpaper and it still did nothing, the tape peeled off really easily - even off the rim strip! Perhaps two bad rolls of tape? I don't know.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member

gorilla tape fail....

What is the aversion to the ghetto(split tube) method? I've had my ML'r set up this way for 2 years and run pressures as low as 3 psi. With the Stan's injector it's easy to top off the sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    What is the aversion to the ghetto(split tube) method?...
    I don't think there's an aversion to one way over another, just that different methods & materials will resonate more with one person than another.

ogarajef@luther.edu
    Use Tyvek tape for house wraps. It weighs nothing and works, been using for years. It is designed to be water and weather resistant. Gorilla tape is heavy and the adhesive is thick and gooey, which lets stans in. I have used gorilla tape in the past and it works, if you put enough layers on. I only run 1 layer of the Tyvek and it is money.

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-s...seam-tape.html
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 1strongone1 View Post
    Use Tyvek tape for house wraps. It weighs nothing and works, been using for years. It is designed to be water and weather resistant. ... I only run 1 layer of the Tyvek and it is money.
    Interesting.
    - Thickness: 3.0 mil: polypropylene film 1.4 mil, acrylic adhesive backing 1.6 mil.
    - Steel peel adhesion 40 oz/inch, so at 2.82" wide that's 112 oz per inch of length.
    - Will withstand temperature extremes from -40F to 220F
    - Tensile strength is only 27 lbs/inch, so possibly not the greatest for handling rim cutouts on it's own.

1strongone1, did your experience with this include rim cutouts?

Showing as available in only 2.82" wide. Shame, as it would be nice to lay sealing tape in one strip for a 100mm rim.

As the house wrap is supposed to be wind proof & water proof, but allow some water vapor through, they give a rating for the Tyvek Tape.
    Moisture Vapor Transmission Rate: (MVTR @ 100F and 90% Relative Humidity), 0.3 g/100 in/24 hr
    But as it's worked for 1strongone1, I assume we don't have to worry about what that means...

The leading edge tapes and similar are available in 8, 12 and 18 mil: polyurethane film with acrylic adhesive, 2", 3", 4" and 6".

Laramie, Wyoming
    I read these threads and wonder why people have issues with Gorilla tape. I've set up a lot of wheels for myself and others, and ridden a lot of miles on them. Some ideas; I always run the tape to the outside of the rim and trim, I pull the tape as tight as humanly possible, and any seams overlap at least an inch. If done this way, the tape doesn't even have to adhere to the rim.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast