mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Going FAT for the winter...

My LBS now has a down-payment on a new Pugsley for me to ride this winter. I don't seem to be able to leave well enough alone....

2013 Blue Pugsley
    Jeff-Jones loop handlebars
    Brooks Saddle (to swap with one I have when weather is bad)
    Surly Nice Rear Rack
    Ergon Grips
    45Nrth Heiruspec Pedals
    Plus a set of Wolvhammers to fix my cold-toe problem from last yean

Oh, yeah, and this:

Schmidt 135mm Dynohub

I already have B&M lights (on my Big Dummy, which I rarely ride at night), so that's a simple swap over.

Now I want to know why I can't stop wishing I had another $1000 free to add a Rohloff to the mix. I need help!!

mtbr member

Going FAT for the winter...

Enjoy. Sounds like a great build!

mtbr member
    You could always pop an alfine8 on there cheap as chips.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    2nd choice would probably be a Nuvinci N360... But, for now, I'll get the bike and ride it. Worry about upgrading the drivetrain down the road when I need to (through wear or freezing out).

mtbr member
    Can I add a note of caution?

You might think you're getting a fat bike "just for Winter" and that you can handle but it will get inside you. Come Spring you'll think "just one last ride" and before you know it Autumn will be here and you'll still be riding your fatty with a big smile on your face. It's addictive!

Don't say you weren't warned and remember "a Fat Bike is for life, not just for Christmas"
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drofluf View Post

Don't say you weren't warned and remember "a Fat Bike is for life, not just for Christmas"
    Ha! I went "fat" on the road some years ago, 32mm and larger, and will never go back to riding 23s or even 28s. I have no problem seeing how people could have a similar experience riding fat mtb tires.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    If you put a Selle Anatomica saddle on it with waterproof leather you get the comfort of a leather saddle with the lack of maintenance of a plastic saddle.

Selle Anatomica - We make the world's most comfortable leather bicycle saddle. Period.

I run both Brooks and SA saddles on my bike.

Enjoy the new Pugs!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I thought about trying a different saddle,but was thinking Rivet... I have one Brooks which I love, and my Dummy needs a better saddle eventually. May get a rivet and put that on the pugs down the line.

This will be the third bike in my stable; it is joining a Dummy with 2.3 Big Apples, and a crosscheck with 35mm Mondials. I don't know that I have anything "skinny".

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So... the bike comes with Nates, and I will be primarially snow commuting. last winter saw many rutted and un-shoveled sidewalks that my CC couldn't handle (hence this bike). Should I be considering Dillingers? I may start with the Nates and order the D's if I start having trouble... Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I rode my Pugsley home after some freezing rain late last fall. That was the most sketchy ride I've ever had, the fat tires just don't grip on ice. Once I got off the road an onto the MUP I just rode on the grass most of the way home. After another few more slippery rides, I switched back to my mountain bike for commuting until I put studs in my fat tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The bike is here! Unfortunately, we leave on vacation tomorrow so I'll be riding a rental Pugsley next week. That's going to be /hard/...
    Going FAT for the winter...-pugsley-2.jpg

Still need to add some bar-tape... the 710mm Jones bars are LONG.
    Going FAT for the winter...-pugsley-3.jpg

I have a B&M Toplite Line light for the rear, and I've run the wires... but I need to make an adapter plate to convert the Surly 1-hole mount into the Euro 2-hole mount for a rear light. It'll cost me about $2 in stock from the HW store and some drilling...
    Going FAT for the winter...-pugsley-4.jpg

The SON 135 hub ended up being built into an extra Holy Darryl rim. Unfortunately, the LBS Was out of rim tape in the Darryl size, so I'll be picking up the tape when I go back for the Wolvhammers in a couple weeks. They aren't in yet either.
    Going FAT for the winter...-pugsley.jpg

I also ended up making some pogies....
    Going FAT for the winter...-pugsley-5.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    The bike is here! Unfortunately, we leave on vacation tomorrow so I'll be riding a rental Pugsley next week. That's going to be /hard/...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pugsley-2.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	838376

Still need to add some bar-tape... the 710mm Jones bars are LONG.

Name:	Pugsley-3.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	838377

I have a B&M Toplite Line light for the rear, and I've run the wires... but I need to make an adapter plate to convert the Surly 1-hole mount into the Euro 2-hole mount for a rear light. It'll cost me about $2 in stock from the HW store and some drilling...

Name:	Pugsley-4.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	838378

The SON 135 hub ended up being built into an extra Holy Darryl rim. Unfortunately, the LBS Was out of rim tape in the Darryl size, so I'll be picking up the tape when I go back for the Wolvhammers in a couple weeks. They aren't in yet either.

Name:	Pugsley.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	838380

I also ended up making some pogies....

Name:	Pugsley-5.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	838379
    Looks great. I was wondering how pogies would fit the Jones Loop Bar? I emailed the Dogwood Design guys to see if theirs would fit the Jones Loop. They said that it would fit only the straight ends.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SuitGuy View Post
    Looks great. I was wondering how pogies would fit the Jones Loop Bar? I emailed the Dogwood Design guys to see if theirs would fit the Jones Loop. They said that it would fit only the straight ends.
    They fit just fine. I still need to add an inner loop to keep them on when my hands go in and out, but that's a minor adjustment. Of course, the fact that I cut out the pattern just for the loop bars helps a lot with the fit. I won't really know until the snow falls and I try them out for real, of course, but things look good so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just about everything is settled on the bike now... the only big thing missing is my dynamo front wheel, which I will be finishing in 2 weeks when I get a rim strip and a Dillinger for it. I really wish that I had the rim-strip for the wheel, because we were due snow today, and it was 30F out. Would have loved the pogies on my trip in this morning. But, alas, they won't fit on my drop bars. Maybe I'll need to make a second set for the cross-check eventually.

B&M IQ Cyo headlight, closeup of the coil of wire headed back towards the tail-light. I have a Luxos-B on my Cross-Check which I may move over to the Pugsley once I'm done riding the CC for the winter.
    Going FAT for the winter...-pugsley-2.jpg

Headshot, including completed Jogies
    Going FAT for the winter...-pugsley-3.jpg

I used a scrap of aluminum bar stock to make an adapter for my rear tail light..
    Going FAT for the winter...-pugsley-4.jpg

A detailed shot of the winterization features. Home-made Jogies (Jones Pogies), and a waxed-canvas saddle cover to help protect it from the elements.
    Going FAT for the winter...-pugsley.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    LOVE it! Nice job!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Buckets! Nice job on your Pug evandy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nates are awesome in the snow!
    dillingers would be nice for riding across ice, but largely unneeded.
    Just my $.02

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by drofluf View Post

You might think you're getting a fat bike "just for Winter" and that you can handle but it will get inside you. Come Spring you'll think "just one last ride" and before you know it Autumn will be here and you'll still be riding your fatty with a big smile on your face. It's addictive!

+1 My ht 29er saw so little use that I ended up putting road tires on it, using it as an urban commuter. When it got stolen a couple months ago, I hardly missed it.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 292beach View Post
    Nates are awesome in the snow!
    dillingers would be nice for riding across ice, but largely unneeded.
    If I were just on trails, I'd agree completely. As it is, I keep going back and forth... my normal commute is on (sometimes) shoveled sidewalks, (often) iced rutted sidewalks, paved bike paths, and the street. Last winter I did see a good amount of ice in some places, although most of it was probably rutted enough to give the Nates some traction. There is at least one spot that I had black-ice issues last year, though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The combination of snow and cold dry winters here make every day an ice day. The snow gets packed and polished by cars until it is a super slick glaze like someone ran a zamboni down the street. Its better after the sand trucks get out but still can be unpredictable, particularly mid-block.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Snow Tested!

Well, I got my first real-life test on the Pugs today. 40degrees and rain this morning, but below freezing and snow when I headed home. I couldn't get a good picture at work with the snow, but here's what was left when I got home. My saddle cover was actually covered with ice and snow that I couldn't clear off. It got melted by my seat-heater.
    Going FAT for the winter...-pugssnow-3.jpg

After having my new (HEAVY) U-lock stuck in my pannier to and from work, I had a brainstorm on the way home. A couple of straps of velcro, and it fits perfectly on the top of my Surly Nice rack. I'll buy some D rings to make the straps easier to manage, but there's one problem solved.
    Going FAT for the winter...-pugssnow-2.jpg

The Dyno-hub wheel worked just fine, even after a day being rained, iced, and snowed. Just as you would hope.
    Going FAT for the winter...-pugssnow.jpg

I don't think I hit any ice on the road on the way home, though you never know. The sound of the Dillinger/Nate rolling along at speed is unreal on the road. Once I hit the bike path and some grass/leaves, though, things were nearly dead silent.

The Pogies seemed to work well, although I probably need to tweak the pattern some more at some point. When on the bike long-term they are bent up a bit more than I originally acounted for, and the arm holes are a tad on the large side. I also need to make a little more room to hit some of the other positions on the Jones bars. Still, not too bad for a first revision, and I probably won't re-spin them until next year, unless I have some serious problems.

mtbr member
    You have a seat heater?!!!

Did you make it yourself?
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon marke View Post
    You have a seat heater?!!!

Did you make it yourself?
    I didn't make it myself, but I've been caring for it for over 30 years. It's really spiffy... completely waterproof, internally powered, and no extra wires or cables needed. What's more, it's truly universal fit.