Thread: Gluing tires?

slow:biker
    Dec 2009

Gluing tires?

Do fatbike tires need to be glued in the winter? I ask b/c I haven't seen any discussion of it on this thread. I always glued my tires to my SnowCat rims and soon will be riding a Necromancer and wonder if this is still necessary.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by eastman115 View Post
    Do fatbike tires need to be glued in the winter? I ask b/c I haven't seen any discussion of it on this thread. I always glued my tires to my SnowCat rims and soon will be riding a Necromancer and wonder if this is still necessary.
    Based on my experience, I'd say no. I'm running the same basic tire/wheel combo as your Necromancer, and I've even been running tubeless down below 5psi reliably. I have cornered fast and hard too without problem. In all honesty, I too, thought I'd be gluing at least one of the beads on, but it hasn't been necessary.

mtbr member
    No don't glue them. If you run reasonable tire pressures you will be fine. I run UMA90's with BFL's and run them down to 6psi without any issues. Some rims have better bead locks than others. The UMA's are sealed up well.

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the replies. My concern was the tire/tube rotation that I have experienced in the past that then leads to the valve stem shearing off and a flat tire. So this doesn't happen with big fat wheels in the cold?

mtbr member
    Not in my experience.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This can happen. It probably depends on the rim. I've had it happen on original Large Marges, which was a surprise because it seemed like the bead seat was pretty tight. I've also had it happen on Fat Shebas which was not such a surprise because the bead seat is like non existent. Once one side was glued it stopped happening.
    Latitude 61

No, that's not phonetic
    We just sheared our first valve stem. The stupidly loose fitting BFLs spun on Barny's rear Uma. That said, we were running extremely low pressures, and 1 extra psi may have prevented it. I would say gluing should not be necessary unless you have a setup which is really out of whack (e.g. folding BFLs).
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The easiest thing to do is ride it without glueing. If you see the valve stem starting to slant more and more then you need to glue. If not then not. In my experience the slip doesn't happen all at once but does give some warning.

There is a thread about tubes moving without the tire slipping. I'm not sure what you would do about that besides going tubeless.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I don't have any experience with gluing tires personally, but I noticed on the Sustina 100 Web Site under Equipment Info they state the following;

"Glue your tires to your rims with tubular tire glue or 3M Fast Tak all the way around one side. The unglued side is for fixing flats. The most common bike problems we see in the Susitna 100 are flats due to tire creep, racks and panniers damaged by rough trails and crashes, and broken chains."