Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Flucod

Giant Fatty For $590

Anyone seen these yet? I know the parts are cheap but what a price to get started! Way to go Giant!

iRide ROCKER White/Orange - Momentum Bikes | United States

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Interesting. Walmart must be putting a dent in the "brand name" bike companies sales with their low priced fat bikes. If you can't beat them, join them.

This also means that fat bikes are gaining market share.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I like the look of this one. Brown tires, check. They hit a home run for me.

iRide ROCKER Black/Green - Momentum Bikes | United States

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Interestingly we have the other models in stock at our shop and the quality of the bikes exceeded our expectations for a bike at this price, especially the frames. Can't figure out why Giant does not put their name on them, the have a small Giant logo and the base of the downtube.
    I'm guessing that they don't care. Years back, and maybe it's true today too, but they built frames for Trek and Specialized

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Cup holder in the top tube? You've just won over a huge percentage of the casual, couple times a year, bike riding public.
    My mini van's got 12 and bike 1!!!

mtbr member
    I'll consider it a Giant when it says 'Giant' on the tubeset. Judging by the tires, I'd say these are destined for cruiser duty.

Not trying to be elitist, but I wouldn't put a logo on a fatty until I've built one worthy of going up against the Fatboys and Farleys of the world. This ain't it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    I'll consider it a Giant when it says 'Giant' on the tubeset. Judging by the tires, I'd say these are destined for cruiser duty.

Not trying to be elitist, but I wouldn't put a logo on a fatty until I've built one worthy of going up against the Fatboys and Farleys of the world. This ain't it.

That might be why they've branded it as such. Giant makes frames for a lot of different companies. Only a small percentage of the frames are actually branded "Giant"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That 7 speed freewheel is going to make awesome sounds when exposed to beach sand.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    I'll consider it a Giant when it says 'Giant' on the tube set….
    Giant seems to be setting up different "brands" for their various types of bike.
    Last year they changed the names on their women's models to Liv.

Rocking on a Rocky
    The best part is the gearing 38x14.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

since 4/10/2009
    definitely a cruiser.

I would rather have a Felt fat cruiser. The Speedway is a cool bike.

Fat Bike - Felt Bicycles

Desert of the real
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    The best part is the gearing 38x14.
    That really goes with the cup holder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    have a place in town here that has two of these in stock, 26" and 300c

ima go test ride the camo/black one this weekend, and see how much better it is than my $300 ironhorse...

mtbr member
    I heard about this over the weekend and was pretty excited to check these out. I thought they might make a perfect less-expensive alternative to a base model Minnesota for my girlfriend.

Unfortunately, well.. Meh.. bme107 is right, this isn't aimed at our demographic IMO. Even overlooking the ridiculous built in cupholder, the thing will need a couple hundred bucks worth of tires right out of the gate to even begin to be useful in the snow. At that point the Minnesota is around the same price for a much better ride out of the box.

My 2c.
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // '17 Cannondale Scalpel-Si
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    cool colors, but only 2 sizes, and I'm 5 inches taller than the top end of the recommended range for the bigger size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Giant Fatty For 0-11855905_977372868949625_940030364216988772_n.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-_dsc3630.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-_dsc3637.jpgI've got a Rocker 3, just took delivery a few days ago.

The brand Momentum is targeted at the China market, it is made in China instead of Taiwan and the welds does reflect the price, it's not as nice as other aluminum bikes Giant makes.

Well, it is really cheap! and the mechanical disc brakes was upgraded to Shimano hydraulic ones as soon as I received the bike.

It is a fun bike to ride on the road, haven't had a chance to ride it on gravel or dirt yet. Weighs about 15kg.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It looks like you were able to remove the cupholder?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Na, just took off the bottle holder's bracket. The tab is still there.

mtbr member
    Looks nice, interested how it rides rougher terrain!

mtbr member
    Hi all,

I was looking into getting a bike in the $500 - 700 range and am curious how this compares to say, the Motobecane Boris X7, is the gearing on this going to be a struggle climbing steeper slopes?

I spotted one of these at the lbs and am anxious to pull the trigger - this is definitely not a walmart bike, it is relatively light and the components are nice imo. The fork in particular looks sturdier as well. The thing that I would want to change is the tire to a chunkier tread pattern -

Giant Fatty For 0-unnamed-1-.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-unnamed-2-.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-unnamed.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I would never trust a bike on trails that changes the top tube design to include a cup holder.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Giant Fatty For $590

I purchased one two weeks ago, and absolutely love it. I don't do any hardcore trails, but I do use it as a mountain bike. The top tube is designed as a split top tube similar to the On-One Fatty, and there is a gusset that doubles as the bracket for the bottle cage. There is nothing to worry about with this frame design. I removed the cage from the top tube and never gave it a second thought. The fork is hydroformed aluminum and has a tapered steerer--unheard of at this price point. It also has sealed hubs-- another unheard of at this price point. The gearing was too high for my liking, but my LBS installed a 32 tooth Race Face narrow wide chainring for $25 at the time of purchase. I haven't ever felt the need for lower gearing with that setup. The wheels and tires are junk, but I found some Marge Lites on eBay for $170 that I am having laced on the stock hubs. I also got some 45 NRTH Husker Du's, but I figure a tire swap on almost any bike I purchase due to personal preference. The running gear is all entry level, but I plan on using everything until it fails and then I will upgrade. IMHO, at $590 you can't go wrong. It's a quality frame worth close to the price alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    That 7 speed freewheel is going to make awesome sounds when exposed to beach sand.
    Hard to believe it's a freewheel not a cassette.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdhusker View Post
    I purchased one two weeks ago, and absolutely love it. I don't do any hardcore trails, but I do use it as a mountain bike. The top tube is designed as a split top tube similar to the On-One Fatty, and there is a gusset that doubles as the bracket for the bottle cage. There is nothing to worry about with this frame design. I removed the cage from the top tube and never gave it a second thought. The fork is hydroformed aluminum and has a tapered steerer--unheard of at this price point. It also has sealed hubs-- another unheard of at this price point. The gearing was too high for my liking, but my LBS installed a 32 tooth Race Face narrow wide chainring for $25 at the time of purchase. I haven't ever felt the need for lower gearing with that setup. The wheels and tires are junk, but I found some Marge Lites on eBay for $170 that I am having laced on the stock hubs. I also got some 45 NRTH Husker Du's, but I figure a tire swap on almost any bike I purchase due to personal preference. The running gear is all entry level, but I plan on using everything until it fails and then I will upgrade. IMHO, at $590 you can't go wrong. It's a quality frame worth close to the price alone.

That's a joke, righf?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    That's a joke, righf?
    No joking about it. Where else are you going to find an aluminum framed, 33 pound fat bike with support from your local bike shop for $590? Sure it has some cheap stuff on it, but enjoy riding the bike until that stuff fails. I'm an old fat guy that rides with his family, I don't jump, do trials, or take massive drops--I'm what 75% or more of the biking community is. People are looking for a fat bike to ride in inclement weather and on trails that are either too rocky or too soft for a normal mountain bike. I have less than a $1000 bucks in a fat bike that fits the bill and works perfectly for me and would suit a lot of other riders as well.

Giant Fatty For 0-img_0862.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nnnudibranch View Post
    Hi all,

I was looking into getting a bike in the $500 - 700 range and am curious how this compares to say, the Motobecane Boris X7, is the gearing on this going to be a struggle climbing steeper slopes?

I spotted one of these at the lbs and am anxious to pull the trigger - this is definitely not a walmart bike, it is relatively light and the components are nice imo. The fork in particular looks sturdier as well. The thing that I would want to change is the tire to a chunkier tread pattern -
    I have not seen one of these, but the Boris X7 or X5 are better bikes than this one, IMO. Better gearing, for one thing, better components. Reviews of the Boris are very good. The Boris X5 is basically the KHS 1000. Except for the tires, I liked the KHS 1000 a lot in a parking lot test ride. Between the iRide Rocker, Mongoose Vinson and the Boris X5 ($599), I'd definitely take the Boris. People do like the Vinson (can be about $520 on sale) but they are usually poorly assembled in places like Sports Authority and hard to judge. The one I looked at seemed like junk because of this. Buyer say otherwise. Many feel it is a bargain and do upgrades.

I think the Boris is around 36 lbs, from owners. There are of course better bikes than it around, but from what I have found it is the cheapest for a "decent" bike. By "decent" I mean you can ride it as is in pretty tough conditions without breaking something or wearing something out quickly. One exception to that is the tires on the Boris - I would definitely replace those. The X5 comes with a no-name Chinese tire, and the X7 with Vee Missions. From what I have read, On-One Floaters are a decent tire at a relatively low price. I think the Boris would be my choice for a budget fat bike. I am leaning towards a 29+ for my area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I can hold a beer in the frame, that's worth at least a few points

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoafInTX View Post
    I have not seen one of these, but the Boris X7 or X5 are better bikes than this one, IMO. Better gearing, for one thing, better components. Reviews of the Boris are very good. The Boris X5 is basically the KHS 1000. Except for the tires, I liked the KHS 1000 a lot in a parking lot test ride. Between the iRide Rocker, Mongoose Vinson and the Boris X5 ($599), I'd definitely take the Boris. People do like the Vinson (can be about $520 on sale) but they are usually poorly assembled in places like Sports Authority and hard to judge. The one I looked at seemed like junk because of this. Buyer say otherwise. Many feel it is a bargain and do upgrades.

I think the Boris is around 36 lbs, from owners. There are of course better bikes than it around, but from what I have found it is the cheapest for a "decent" bike. By "decent" I mean you can ride it as is in pretty tough conditions without breaking something or wearing something out quickly. One exception to that is the tires on the Boris - I would definitely replace those. The X5 comes with a no-name Chinese tire, and the X7 with Vee Missions. From what I have read, On-One Floaters are a decent tire at a relatively low price. I think the Boris would be my choice for a budget fat bike. I am leaning towards a 29+ for my area.
    Feeling pressured, I ended up ordering the X7 as BikesDirect claims "prices will go up 4th quarter b/c shipping costs". I have a bit of buyer's remorse as the momentum looks really cool but this post helps with that.

The main reason I went with the Boris was that the Momentum is around $600+ after tax and from the look of the tire tread I know I'd have to throw additional money right away and that would put me in the same price tag as the X7 (ships free, no sales tax). I would definitely consider one of these Momentum's for a ride-along friend or the girlfriend. Thanks for the advice guys!

@BigDHusker - I'm surprised you could fit those super fat tires on there! Does the chain rub at all?

CS2
    mtbr member
    Just stopped in to Century Cycles and took a look in person. For $600 that is one heck of a nice bike. I can almost buy 3 for what 1 Pugsley cost.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    @BigDHusker - I'm surprised you could fit those super fat tires on there! Does the chain rub at all?
    With the single front chainring, you could easily run a 5" tire on the rear with no interference with the chain. The frame has plenty of clearance as well, but the fork is limited and would only be able to fit a tire slightly larger than my Husker Du.

I have ridden about 50 miles with my setup and absolutely love this bike. My wife has one of the Gravity Fatbikes from BD, and that is what convinced me to get rid of my Raleigh Talus 8.0 and go fat. This Momentum handles great, and my wife feels it rides superior to her bike with Panaracer Fat B Nimbles. I also feel it has better geometry than the Gravity. Plus, I spent $80 at my LBS getting the Gravity all dialed in and greased correctly.

I still feel this is the best value out there because of the support of a LBS that comes with it.

mtbr member
    With the single front chainring, you could easily run a 5" tire on the rear with no interference with the chain. The frame has plenty of clearance as well, but the fork is limited and would only be able to fit a tire slightly larger than my Husker Du.

I have ridden about 50 miles with my setup and absolutely love this bike. My wife has one of the Gravity Fatbikes from BD, and that is what convinced me to get rid of my Raleigh Talus 8.0 and go fat. This Momentum handles great, and my wife feels it rides superior to her bike with Panaracer Fat B Nimbles. I also feel it has better geometry than the Gravity. Plus, I spent $80 at my LBS getting the Gravity all dialed in and greased correctly.

I still feel this is the best value out there because of the support of a LBS that comes with it.

Despite having bought the Boris (yet to get a chance to ride, came in yesterday!), your experience with this bike makes me still want to get this for my girlfriend or convince my dad to get himself this one, thanks for sharing this info!

mtbr member
    My LBS just got a few of these in. It's a lot less shitty than I thought it would be for the price. Not something I'd want to get gnarly on, but not a bad bike at all for anyone that just wants to cruise the beach or do some packed doubletrack stuff in the snow. Might end up getting my girlfriend one after all.

Having said that, the cupholder is still stupid.
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // '17 Cannondale Scalpel-Si
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The cupholder is stupid--that's the only thing I hate on the bike.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Hard to believe it's a freewheel not a cassette.
    I was wrong. Stopped at the LBS today. First thing they said was it had a freewheel. Still for $600 it is a well made bike.

CS2
    mtbr member
    The cupholder is stupid--that's the only thing I hate on the bike.

It's held on with 2 screws.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Makes me hungry for donuts.

Hi all,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg 
Views:	1770 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	1024011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	1024012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	3670 
Size:	210.4 KB 
ID:	1024013

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    It's held on with 2 screws.
    I removed the cage the second I got the bike home, but you really can't do much with the cupholder sized hole between the twin top tubes. Even without the cage in there I get comments like "what is that, a cupholder?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I removed the cage the second I got the bike home, but you really can't do much with the cupholder sized hole between the twin top tubes.
    Cover it with a gas tank style top tube bag?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I wonder how much for just the fork...

CS2
    mtbr member
    I removed the cage the second I got the bike home, but you really can't do much with the cupholder sized hole between the twin top tubes. Even without the cage in there I get comments like "what is that, a cupholder?
    LOL, the space doesn't leave too much to the imagination.

mtbr member
    My story? I just put a deposit on this version...

iRide ROCKER Khaki/Army Green - Momentum Bikes | United States

It should arrive by the end of next week. Size "R" which fits me with just enough toe-front tire clearance. I'm 5'10" and of medium build. I can't wait!

I plan on keeping my SE Stout for the harder riding stuff. The Rocker? One of only TWO bikes I've ever rode with which I can do freakin' wheelies with! lol

Curious about the other? It's the Fatboy. Can't do wheelies with BMX bikes, Dirt jump bikes, any other mountain bikes I've ever tried except Fatboy and Rocker.

"Your serious dude?!? "

I love it! I'm 49 and refuse to grow old inside! This will be my big play bike I can cruise the boardwalk and neighborhood with. For the money it's gonna be a blast! I love the looks too.

I will post pics once I get it.

*Note to self, take beer out of cup holder before entertaining wheelie
    Last edited by demonbydesign; 12-05-2015 at 12:19 PM.
    All you have to do when you fall is to get back up

mtbr member
    nm carry on
    Last edited by demonbydesign; 12-05-2015 at 02:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by demonbydesign View Post
    nm carry on
    https://youtu.be/8Mqz2XjIAB8

Found this cruise vid from some guys who bought one each from same bike shop I'm getting mine from. Although I'm now re-thinking about changing my color to the Black/Green combo vs the Khaki/Army Green. hmm

mtbr member
    I took purchase of one yesterday. Very happy to have it! As mentioned before, I'm not planning to ride it on any hardcore trail systems at this point with the current components. I bought it to ride around town and take on some groomed trails for now.

I lie. I might give it a bit of a go on something a bit more rough just to see what it's capable of

Just riding it shortly around neighborhood did elicited a handful of positive responses from people on the street and more than enough head turning stares from motorists. Especially when I pop a wheelie with it!

I'll get some pics up later, and a better assessment of the ride after I take it out on a trail.

turtles make me hot
    The shop we frequent has one of these on the floor. My son thinks the cup holder is genius. I'd buy it for my wife as a cruiser.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    LOL! I'm already getting a kick out of how the cup holder is a point of conversation. For me it's actually a well fleshed out idea for what is a cruiser purposed fattie. On the flip side, I'm sure to get a kick out of any snobbish reactions to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Call me a pessimist. I'm king cheap when I am able to be or when I think it makes sense. About a week ago I picked up my first fat bike, a 2015 SE F@E. 190mm thru axle symmetrical rear end, tapered HT, 100mm BB, cartridge bearing hubs, 100mm rims, 9-spd with a triple in the front, decent low-kid kit. Price $599 from Nashbar with their 25% sale and free shipping. Now THAT is a deal. This Giant bike is obviously targeting a different crowd though.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I tested the SE F@E on 2 separate occasions. I found it to be heavy and sluggish feeling compared to my Rocker. Especially compared to the Fatboy and Farley's! But, it is a good price and bottom line is, yes, targeted as a true mountain entry level bike compared to the targeted demographic Rocker crowd.

Oh and btw, my actual trail bike I ride is a 2011 SE Stout full rigid SS. I'm a fan of SE products.

It's a DEAL when you get what you pay for, for the purpose it's built for. I'd dare say the Giant is a better deal as a fat cruiser/light trail than the F@E is as a true mountain bike.
    Last edited by demonbydesign; 12-10-2015 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Giant Fatty For 0-img_0286.jpg

Merry Christmas to me

More pics to come...

mtbr member
    I wheelie like this bike LOL!

mtbr member
    These bikes are hideous.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    i love haters

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Ok, I'm in! Ordered a Rocker yesterday but expect it to be a week or two as my LBS is notorious for limp-dragging in bike orders by the ones.

mtbr member
    Congrats! It should be worth your wait.

So, which color scheme did you decide on? I had a hard time deciding between the Khaki/Army Green and the Green/Black/brown tire one.

Also, after riding around the streets today I really appreciate the gearing it has. It's a blast and I was able to really haul ass on it. I didn't find any situation where I wanted anything other gearing wise.

Again, congrats man!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Ok fellas, change of plans. Dealer owner heard me talking to employees about changing out front chainring to a 30 or 32 because my age and physical conditions. So, he pops open the computer and shows me the Pugsley, which I already know all about, and offers me a killer deal! So, a Pugsley is in order. Now I'm even more stoked!!!

mtbr member
    Hey man I'm glad your getting what you enjoy. Surley's are highly regarded fatties, congrats!

Ok. So today I took my Giant on one of my favorite local trails here in South Jersey. See link below...

Cere's Park Mountain Bike Trail in Mantua/pitman, New Jersey || SINGLETRACKS.COM

Without getting to long winded about my first time out on my fat bike (any fat bike), I'll highlight some key experiences I had.

Gearing of the bike was actually nearly perfect for this trail system. Much more enjoyable than my SE Stout SS for sure.

The handling prowess was more than I expected. Very very nimble and on par with my Stout.

I was overall much faster on the Giant than my Stout, especially on level ground situations.

Now, I didn't measure tire pressure but I did let air out of both once on the trail to give it some squish over roots. I definitely will experiment with even lower pressure next time as it was not close to the minimum allowed I'm sure.

The brakes worked great. The shifting was on demand and glitch free too.

Ok, now to some areas where it can improve. First, the stock tires definitely have minimum tread for this type of riding and I found myself having to stab my foot down on sharp turns on moist leafy ground, and muddy spots (when turning in fast on curves).

Straight-a-ways were fine of course and flowing singletrack was fine also.

Also, fat tires grip! Even these. They like to pull you up in the turns and require a different slower approach than my Stout does. Literally a learning curve!

I truly was more than impressed today. I'm more than thrilled knowing I can enjoy this on real mountain bike style trails. An added bonus on a bike I purchased to just cruise around on.

Then,once I got back to the parking lot....it happened. I got a couple guys who ride full suspension Trek's start asking me about my bike. Something I was warned that would happen when owning a fattie lol

I told them what my riding impressions were and they both were floored at the value you get for $590. I let them both ride it a little bit too. They genuinely were impressed. They even thought the bottle holder was cool as well as the split top tube aesthetic.

By the way, I had my bike weighed at the shop where I bought it. It weighed in a dead even 35lbs. Only 3lbs heavier than the $1600 Specialized Fatboy SE I was going to purchase. Should be easy to get in the low 30's with wheel/tire improvements.

Enjoy some bike porn

Giant Fatty For 0-img_2731.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_2730.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_2726.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_2729.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_2728.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_2727.jpg

mtbr member
    Can anyone help? I am interested in finding out all I can about what tires would fit my stock rims which would give better grip than the stock tires. The link below has the specifications of the bike, thank you in advance for any help.

Also, if it can be determined how much wider could I fit front and back? I realize at least the front is more limited.

And...does anyone have a guess if a Bluto fork would work? Would it change geometry?

Thank you.

iRide ROCKER White/Orange - Momentum Bikes | United States

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I don't see a link. Would like to read the specs though!

mtbr member
    Sure it is. Look again

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Sure it is. Look again
    The specs don't indicate hub size or rim width (I'd assume 80mm), but ultimately you'll want to measure what width will fit on front and back up where the tire will cross (they may differ). It doesn't look like there's a lot of room there in the image...is that tire a true 4"? You can certainly get more grippy, but probably not much more width. If the current tire is 4, then you should be able to fit pretty much any other 4" tire, plus some that are labeled wider but are actually 4" or less on an 80mm rim (like the Vee snowshoe 4.5 or 4.7). Tires do stretch a bit, so don't cut it too terribly close.

For the Bluto you need a tapered head tube (1.5" to 1-1/8"); it's unclear, but I'd doubt it has one. You could drop your fork to verify. Yes, it would likely change your geometry a bit, probably adding a bit of standover height (how much obviously depends how tall your existing fork is).

Good luck...that bike looks like great bang for the buck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Giant Fatty For $590

The headset is tapered and the downtube is clearanced, both items that are needed to accept a Bluto. The rims are terrible, the front is a 50 mm and the rear is a 100 mm. I put Marge Lites on my Rocker with 45NRTH Husker Du's. I also swapped out the chainring with a 32 tooth Race Face narrow/wide. The front fork and hub are a standard 110mm unit instead of the 135mm fat bike standard and that limits the front tire size to a 4" or just slightly larger. The rear has plenty of clearance for 5" tires.

The mods I did to my Rocker completely transformed it from stock. It is a very versatile, nimble bike that is just as home on the trails as it is on the bike path. I love and wouldn't trade it for anything other than a Farley or one of Surly's fat bikes.

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Giant Fatty For $590

In the Asian and Canadian markets, there are Rocker models that come with an RST suspension fork, so the Bluto is a easy swap and the Frame's geometry is corrected for an 80mm travel fork. You'd need a new front hub compatible with a Bluto however.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, good info and just what I was looking for. Also happy to see the Bluto will work out perfect if I go that route in the future. I can see me going with better gripping tires by next spring and personally I think the current width is fine since I'm no planning to ride in the extremes anyway. I want more grip on the outer edges for sure though! lol

Bighusker, I tried Farley's but not a Surley fat bike. Personally, I found the Farley's I did test out to be kind of unstable compared to the Specialized Fatboy's I sampled. But each person is different of course. Heck, look at the idiots that have come on this thread and bashed the Rocker without really riding one first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks. Somehow I was expecting a link to some more detailed specs.

mtbr member
    C-Gypsy, are you looking at these bikes for yourself?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    C-Gypsy, are you looking at these bikes for yourself?
    The best answer would be that I am looking for a fat bike. I know nothing about them and have been reading this forum almost daily for over a month.

This bike is within my price range, as is the Boris X5 and the Gravity Bullseye Monster.

I turned 60 last week and have decided to purchase a new fat bike to (hopefully) give me the incentive to ride.

95% of my riding will be on mostly flat roads. I know I don't need a fat bike for that. But there's a difference between needing and wanting and I want one! haha.

I found a bike shop about 40 miles (and a short ferry ride) away that has one of these and is expecting another one in the next few days.

I am hoping to go over on Friday to look at them and take a test ride.

I should add that I do not have a garage. I do not have a shop with bike parts sitting around. Whatever I buy will be sitting under the steps to our condo, so it will be exposed to the weather.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wagonguy1989 View Post
    have a place in town here that has two of these in stock, 26" and 300c

ima go test ride the camo/black one this weekend, and see how much better it is than my $300 ironhorse...
    Ok, I'm a newb. What is the difference between 26" and 300c?

mtbr member
    My initial reason to try fat bikes was simply the same as you. I wanted one because they looked cool. I wanted not needed as you.

I will say, I tried Specialized Fatboy's, Trek Farley's, SE F@E, Framed Wolftrax, and Scott Big Ed.

Out of those the only one that came close to the Giant Rocker to me was the Specialized Fatboy, but was $1000 more. And as I got real honest with myself over all this, realized that I wanted it to ride around the boardwalk areas here in South Jersey as well as to fool around on and learn wheelies and manuals, MAYBE be able to take it on a trail once in awhile (which now I found out is definitely a GO with the Giant Rocker!) And as other posters here have demonstrated, it can be upgraded over time IF you decided to.

The one negative you may find with the Giant is the size. It only comes in small or what is termed Regular. I'm 5'10" and medium build, and it works beautifully. Did you see me on the video doing a short wheelie to get an idea of my size in relation to yourself? Also, I'd be more comfortable leaving a $590 bike under the steps than a $1600 bike!

I honestly think you might be able to find a Mongoose for even less money to do what you want as a simple cruiser bike than the Giant...except you won't have the cool ass cup holder in the top tube!

I not only have no regrets on picking the Rocker over the Fatboy, I'm REALLY glad I did! Tomorrow I'm looking forward to hopping on it and headed out to do a small grocery run and scenic tour around town. I'll get some pics hopefully!

I hope you get whatever feels best to you and damn the naysayers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I first saw a fat bike at the Tackle Box in Atlantic Beach, NC a few years ago. It was a Tommy Sea (or something like that). I couldn't (and still can't) justify buying one, but it is what it is.

I am 5'9" with a medium-chubby build. Hopefully riding again will take care of the chubby part, eh?

The tires should not be an issue for me as most of my riding will be done on streets and country roads.

Initially I looked at the Mongoose and the Malus, but they are steel and I am concerned about rust.

My current ride is an old Trek Navigator 400 that has been living under our stairs for 5 years and has not rusted. Hopefully the Rocker would be the same.

As far as naysayers, I'm 60 years old. I've learned to pursue what fits my life and not be concerned about others' opinions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Gypsy View Post
    I first saw a fat bike at the Tackle Box in Atlantic Beach, NC a few years ago. It was a Tommy Sea (or something like that). I couldn't (and still can't) justify buying one, but it is what it is.

I am 5'9" with a medium-chubby build. Hopefully riding again will take care of the chubby part, eh?

The tires should not be an issue for me as most of my riding will be done on streets and country roads.

Initially I looked at the Mongoose and the Malus, but they are steel and I am concerned about rust.

My current ride is an old Trek Navigator 400 that has been living under our stairs for 5 years and has not rusted. Hopefully the Rocker would be the same.

As far as naysayers, I'm 60 years old. I've learned to pursue what fits my life and not be concerned about others' opinions.
    Haha. You have no idea how happy you are that you didn't get the tommisea!

(The man and the brand are notorious around here)

mtbr member

I ended up buying a Boris X7 and am really happy with it, but I wouldn't recommend it vs. other bike styles if all you plan to ride on are roads. Now that it is winter and I can't really hit the forest preserves after hours when I get home from work and it is dark. I've tried to take a few rides on plain road and sidewalk and it is just not as fun as conquering unpaved trail and crunching over snow, in comparison. I guess the only time this bike felt useful outside of unpaved was when there was plenty of fresh snow on the roads that other bikes wouldn't be able to handle. The tire width itself causes the bike to "climb" in whatever direction a crooked stretch of sidewalk is facing, and the momentum of the spinning heavy tires is -slightly- harder to control and lean on turns.

Rust-wise you would probably find a better material frame in a more common bike style for the same price, if you don't plan on maintaining a fatty. I don't speak to this point from experience with rust on a fat bike yet, thankfully.

mtbr member
    I ended up buying a Boris X7 and am really happy with it, but I wouldn't recommend it vs. other bike styles if all you plan to ride on are roads. Now that it is winter and I can't really hit the forest preserves after hours when I get home from work and it is dark. I've tried to take a few rides on plain road and sidewalk and it is just not as fun as conquering unpaved trail and crunching over snow, in comparison. I guess the only time this bike felt useful outside of unpaved was when there was plenty of fresh snow on the roads that other bikes wouldn't be able to handle. The tire width itself causes the bike to "climb" in whatever direction a crooked stretch of sidewalk is facing, and the momentum of the spinning heavy tires is -slightly- harder to control and lean on turns. .
    This is a great point because I've found the Giant's Rocker tires low tread profile to be really really fast on pavement. On the trail...well I've documented my first experience somewhere above within this thread.

I don't think for the money there is much not to like with particular regard to C-Gypsy's riding intentions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'm finally home! Left yesterday morning to take my father back to PA, then drove back to NC today. Sheesh!

Thank you nnnudibranch for your thoughts. I really don't see myself bashing too many trails, and I live on the east coast of NC so snow is rare and usually doesn't last past lunchtime. As I posted previously we live in a condo. I have no garage to store a bike in.

My Trek mountain bike has sat outside for 5 years with very little rust (handlebars and chain). I am hoping the Rocker can handle rain as well as my Trek has. I really can't wax the chain, but they're inexpensive to replace.

I appreciate your input as well demonbydesign. And I believe you are correct. The tires should be fine since the most difficult terrain I anticipate will be somebody's lawn!

What pressure(s) do you run in your tires? Are you still riding the stock tires or have you upgraded, because if you've upgraded the pressures you run won't do me much good! LOL

Perhaps some day I'll find a real trail around here...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Haha. You have no idea how happy you are that you didn't get the tommisea!

(The man and the brand are notorious around here)
    Thank you Sir! Didn't know that.

mtbr member
    Glad to be of any help and/or inspiration!

Air pressure, I'm not sure exactly BUT run it up high for best quickness around town while leaving a touch of squish...or enough so that most bumps and such are not causing you to bounce. Enough to where your tire is more like a shock absorber.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Ok, I finally manned up and told the dealer I will take the Rocker. Dang, now I'm happy and apprehensive at the same time!

Thanks to everyone who helped me make the decision. I know $600.00 isn't a lot of money, but it's enough to make me stop and think.

I have a plethora of questions, but for now I would just like to know if I decide to upgrade the tires will I have to upgrade the wheels? Will 45 NRTH Husker Du's fit the stock wheels?

I concede I'm only dreaming... I will never need tires like that. On the other hand...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Glad to be of any help and/or inspiration!

Air pressure, I'm not sure exactly BUT run it up high for best quickness around town while leaving a touch of squish...or enough so that most bumps and such are not causing you to bounce. Enough to where your tire is more like a shock absorber.
    Ok, so when I sit on the bike should the tires squish down a bit? What is the maximum and minimum pressures? Does the manual mention tire pressure?

turtles make me hot
    You need to find the pressure that works for your weight. I guess they should squish a little but you don't want the rim to hit stuff. Start with 10 psi and try dropping one pound and then another.
    I bet HuskerDus fit.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    You need to find the pressure that works for your weight. I guess they should squish a little but you don't want the rim to hit stuff. Start with 10 psi and try dropping one pound and then another.
    I bet HuskerDus fit.
    Thank you! I weigh 195 (read 200). I should probably start with 12 pounds as I don't want to damage the wheels. With the rims being different widths will the pressure be the same in both tires?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thank you! I weigh 195 (read 200). I should probably start with 12 pounds as I don't want to damage the wheels. With the rims being different widths will the pressure be the same in both tires?
    Higher in rear as there's more weight there.

Husker dus, I think, wear down notoriously soon. They'll be wasted on you if you're not riding on trails.

I would rise the crap out of the stock tires then see what you want.

Also, I would think about getting a bike cover or something to protect from the elements. It will make a difference.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm not the type to precisely measure my tire pressure. I simply go with what feels good per each ride/trails I'm doing that particular day.

Remember, the stock tires on the Rocker are not at all a great trail tire. They will be MUCH faster though on the street and light trails than Husker's. And for maximum speed of course you want the air pressure up high. Like I mentioned before Gypsy, find a balance of plush and firm to where your not bouncing the wheels off the ground over objects, but getting it to feel like it compressed over say a good sized rock or small curbs and such. Feel it out and go from there and you can measure that specific pressure if you want for future reference.

Post up any actual measurements too! That would be kind of helpful to some folks I'd imagine.

When do you suspect to get your Rocker?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Yeah, I'm not the type to precisely measure my tire pressure. I simply go with what feels good per each ride/trails I'm doing that particular day.

Remember, the stock tires on the Rocker are not at all a great trail tire. They will be MUCH faster though on the street and light trails than Husker's. And for maximum speed of course you want the air pressure up high. Like I mentioned before Gypsy, find a balance of plush and firm to where your not bouncing the wheels off the ground over objects, but getting it to feel like it compressed over say a good sized rock or small curbs and such. Feel it out and go from there and you can measure that specific pressure if you want for future reference.

Post up any actual measurements too! That would be kind of helpful to some folks I'd imagine.

I appreciate your thoughts & advice. I do not intend to change tires until the original tires wear out unless I find local trails to ride. I was just curious what other tires will fit without changing wheels.

I found out today via email that the lbs also sells Surly's and Salsa's, so I suspect he will have an idea of how much air I should start out with.

As of now I am hoping to pick the bike up on December 26th or 28th.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    What is everyone's opinion of the Axiom Flatliner bike rack?

My Rocker will be used for errands around the village and I need a rack or a basket. I'm not Mary Poppins & I'll be damned if I'll use a basket!

Has anyone tried the Axiom?

Other than adding a rack I plan to ride the bike as it comes from the factory.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    demonbydesign.. glad you are having fun riding your bike.. that's all that matters.. now stop posting and go out for a ride..(i keeed)..

turtles make me hot
    When you wear out the stock tires, take a look at Surly's 3.8 Knard. Fantastic tire.

My son currently has HuskerDus on his 907 and while they're ok, we're going to replace them with Knards.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thank you NYrr496. I will keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

We are planning to take the 11:00 ferry from Minnesott Beach tomorrow (12/26/15). We should arrive at the lbs around 12:00 if I don't get lost!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Update --

This was one of those days when if something could go wrong it did... It was almost 1:30 by the time my wife & I arrived at the lbs.

He had both the khaki/army green model and the black/green version. It only took me about 3 minutes to decide on the khaki/army green model.

I had previously asked the dealer to install an Axiom flatliner rack which he did, but in doing so he was unable to install the factory kickstand. So the bike is still at the lbs. He is going to order a different kickstand on Monday and hopefully I will be able to pick up the bike the end of next week.

I took the Rocker on a short ride and was impressed although it bounced more than I thought it should. Perhaps I need to lower the air pressure a bit. What is a good pressure gauge for such low pressures?

I was curious about the warranty and the dealer told me that all Giant bikes have a lifetime warranty on the frame & forks.

He also said if I need the cables adjusted in 3 or 6 months that he will do so for free.

How cool is that?

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Awesome that the bike fits you and is comfortable! As for me, I suggest you simply experiment with the air pressure. It's normal for all fat bikes to bounce with such large tires with a lot of air in them so it's not just the Giant.

Most bike shops should do the adjustments after a bit of riding so your LBS is doing the right thing, which is an assurance.

I'm so happy for people like yourself who work hard to enjoy simple things like bike rides and your enthusiasm for your new bike is so cool

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My other bike is a Trek Navigator 400 with front suspension and a suspension seat post.

I was surprised at how "rough" the Rocker rode on back streets. But as you said it is probably just too much air in the tires.

I'm buying the bike so we'll eventually figure this out!

mtbr member
    I'm sure you will find the air pressure is set up high right now. Have the bike shop put it to it's lowest recommend pressure and go from there. If at it's lowest the bike feels to "rough" then maybe you should negotiate for another bike? You need to be happy and not have regrets IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'm still waiting for the lbs to call. He had to order a different kickstand and will call when it arrives.

I emailed him earlier this evening asking him to install the narrow wide 32T chainring.

To be honest I won't need that chainring for my style of riding, but my wife rides so slow that sometimes I wonder what keeps her from falling over!

Speaking of my wife she has been laughing at me. I just turned 60 and I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas morning!

I thank everyone on the forum for helping me make a decision. I'm one of those people who always get cold feet, then wonders if I made the right choice.

I'll take some pics when I get the bike, but it won't be exciting bike porn like others post. It will probably be my bike sitting at the tiki bar!
    Last edited by C-Gypsy; 12-29-2015 at 06:20 PM.

mtbr member
    I just bought a Mongoose Vinson. Should arrive in a week or so. I can return it so if it's as good as the Rocker was (mine was stolen of course) then I'll most likely grab another Rocker. The Mongoose is nearly $140 less...even though overall because the Rocker was stolen I'm in the hole for a grand! Damn it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Congratulations! Keep us posted on the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The Husker Du's will fit on the stock rims no problem as any 26 x 4 tire should fit. My wife has the Panaracer Fat-B-Nimbles on her bike, and the tread is very similar to the Husker Du and they are far less expensive. The performance between the two is equal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'm planning to go back to the lbs on Saturday. I spoke with the owner today and I plan on bringing my bike home with me!

Of course today was 79 degrees and beautiful. Saturday & Sunday are to be cold and rainy.

mtbr member
    Sweet! I'm almost as excited as you for your reactions once you ride it for a day or two.

Of course, the weather...Murphy's Law.

mtbr member
    I hate the guy(s) who stole my Rocker! To hell with their new year!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

split top tube qestion

does it cause any problems with knees hitting it (it's already wide and then comes the bottle holder thing)? Any tall riders? Out of saddle, up hill etc?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucyfek View Post
    does it cause any problems with knees hitting it (it's already wide and then comes the bottle holder thing)? Any tall riders? Out of saddle, up hill etc?
    Not in the slightest for me. 5'10" no problems. But if I catch the thief who stole mine he will definitely have problems with his knees getting hit!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast