Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I ordered a set of Jaggernauts today. 4.0 for the front and 4.5 for the rear. $123.00 total with free installation!

Will post some pics in a week or so when the tires are mounted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Update on the jumbo Jim 4.8 tires: After 3 weeks of being inflated to about 15-20 psi (I ride street pulling a trailer with kids), the back tire outer knobs rub the frame. I will trim them down more, but would recommend to others that a 4.8 is slightly too large for the rear.

The front 100mm rim and tire combo still fits, admittedly clearance is small.

All in all, the bike still looks amazing!Giant Fatty For 0-img_0138.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_0132.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_0133.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_0134.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_0135.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_0136.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbyw View Post
    The 45north Flowbeast and Dundebeast 4.0 x 4.6 do fit the Rocker.
    I ordered the Jaggernauts, and I don't go back on my word.

If the Jaggernauts do not work out these will be my next choice Sir!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Does anyone have experience with the Flowbeist/Dunderbeist on the Rocker?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Took the Rocker to Beaufort today and had the Jaggernauts mounted.

It looks and rides like a different bicycle. The taller rear tire changed the "gearing" naturally. I need to ride it a while to see if I need a smaller chainring.

Can anyone tell me if I can go to a narrow-wide chainring and still use the bash ring?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by berniempb99 View Post
    Update on the jumbo Jim 4.8 tires: After 3 weeks of being inflated to about 15-20 psi (I ride street pulling a trailer with kids), the back tire outer knobs rub the frame. I will trim them down more, but would recommend to others that a 4.8 is slightly too large for the rear.
    Bernie? I suspect we're the only two people following this thread now. Very disappointing as I used to look forward to learning from others.

As stated previously I had a Juggernaut 4.5 mounted on the rear of my Rocker and a 4.0 mounted on the front. We'll see how it goes...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The jugs were my other choice! Let me know how they work, I may put them on my wife's bike. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by berniempb99 View Post
    The jugs were my other choice! Let me know how they work, I may put them on my wife's bike. Thanks!
    I sure will. After having the 4.0 mounted on the front I realized that the 4.5 would probably fit up there. On the other hand most of my riding is on the street and a tire that is too aggressive might not be a good thing on the front. So I'm happy with what I have (for now).

I really would like to try the Flowbeist/Dunderbeist combination but don't know if they will work with the stock rims.

mtbr member

narrow-wide chainring + bash ring

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gypsy View Post
    Can anyone tell me if I can go to a narrow-wide chainring and still use the bash ring?
    Narrow-wide chainrings change neither centerline nor width of chain;
    bash ring clearance should be unchanged

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by blekenbleu View Post
    Narrow-wide chainrings change neither centerline nor width of chain;
    bash ring clearance should be unchanged
    Thank you! That will be the next upgrade to Rocky.

mtbr member
    That will be the next upgrade
    Meanwhile, I use an Acco binder clip to gather loose trouser cuff
    outside of right ankle

mtbr member

Juggernaut 4.5 in front

the 4.5 would probably fit up there
    According to berniempb99, it should Giant Fatty For $590
    .. but on a 50mm rim, 4.5 would be too curved to provide more grip or flotation than 4.0. Meanwhile, a 100mm rim and 4.5 tire would compromise Rocker's easy wheelies, light weight and nimble handling for cruising.

I tried and failed to find your 100 yd beach on Google Maps.
    In sand, I always find that a larger front tire (on suitable rim) than rear
    improves handling balance, whether on rigid fat or full suspension or hardtail mtb.
    At the same time, other than tread roar and flywheel momentum, larger front tires are problematic on harder surfaces mainly because more tire pressure fiddling is wanted to minimize self-steer, rolling resistance and pedal bob. 6-8psi in 4.5 Juggernaut Pro with tube worked for me..

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by blekenbleu View Post
    According to berniempb99, it should Giant Fatty For $590
    .. but on a 50mm rim, 4.5 would be too curved to provide more grip or flotation than 4.0. Meanwhile, a 100mm rim and 4.5 tire would compromise Rocker's easy wheelies, light weight and nimble handling for cruising...
    Thank you for your input! As noted above I already had the Juggernaut 4.0 mounted on the front and the 4.5 mounted on the rear. Hopefully by the end of summer I can give a good report on the tires.

My wife & I ride with another couple down here. My friend's wife mentioned a while back that when we ride together she always thinks there is a car coming up behind her.

When I had the Juggernauts mounted I rode around Beaufort for a while. I looked back twice thinking there was a truck coming up behind me; the second time I looked back I realized it was the rear tire I was hearing!

I realize the more aggressive tires may compromise the cruising ability of my Rocker, but at our age we don't ride fast. I don't do wheelies and I just want to try a fatbike with aggressive tires.

Will let you know how it goes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Took Rocky out for a spin around the village this afternoon. First time since having the Juggernauts mounted.

We were less than a block from home when a lady commented on my tires. No matter where we went people commented on the tires!

We did not go off-road so I can not give a report on that. I will say that on the road the tires are very noisy, and the front tire has a bit of self-steer. Have to pay attention to that in the future.

The Juggernauts definitely changed the gear ratio, and I will be emailing my LBS to order a 32T NW chainring as soon as I finish this post.

Seems like I was in second gear most of the ride. Sometimes I needed to go one gear lower, but first gear on Rocky is WAY too low. A new chainring should take care of that and allow me to ride in 3rd & 2nd gear and avoid punching into 1st gear.

The final verdict is that I love my fatbike! I'm running 12 pounds of air in the rear and 10 in the front. The bike was very comfortable although I may try less air to see how it rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hey I just got one of these! Cool bike. Works better than I expected. I'll post again once I've tested it more

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by langcow View Post
    Hey I just got one of these! Cool bike. Works better than I expected. I'll post again once I've tested it more
    Congratulations on your purchase!

Mine works great, but I'm not a hard core rider.

I look forward to reading of your exploits and what you think of your Rocker after you have ridden it a while. You got a great bike in my humble opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What's the hub spacing on the Rocker?

I bought one of these, sold it for the Momentum Rocker King with the 4.8 tires but I did not get on with the 4.8 tires, 4.0 was the sweet spot, and the rims were too wide so ended up selling that and getting one of these Hi-Bike Monster fatbike

but geo on that is just wrong for me.

The Rocker was the best, and I'm considering swapping that dabomb bike with the Rocker (I sold it to a friend) and I guess I'll just change the hubs so I can put in a cassette and not be stuck on the freewheel.

Jones bars on the Rocker is great.

Also anyone know if there are different BB standards for fat bikes? What's the length I need to swap out the Rocker's crankset?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456