Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Size small. All stock but the reflectors and bottle cage weren't installed

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Weight for a small, no reflectors or bottle cage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    As soon as I figure out posting pictures with the app...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ACoolName View Post

Weight for a small, no reflectors or bottle cage.
    My large (regular?) weighs 37.8 with reflectors and a rack on the back.

mtbr member
    Sorry I've missed this thread lately. I'm not getting email notifications when new post go up, hmm...

Anyway, I've been riding mine to work and still learning my balance to wheelie better and better. Rocker is pretty dang awesome still. Lot's of stares and compliments everywhere I go!
    All you have to do when you fall is to get back up

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by demonbydesign View Post
    Anyway, I've been riding mine to work and still learning my balance to wheelie better and better. Rocker is pretty dang awesome still. Lot's of stares and compliments everywhere I go!
    Yep, everyone stares! Most other riders smile and wave (in my experience).

How far is work for you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Gypsy View Post
    Yep, everyone stares! Most other riders smile and wave (in my experience).

How far is work for you?
    Not too far at all. Less than 10 miles round trip.

Today I was trying to get my wheelies to go longer. I suck but I'm not giving up that's fo' sho' bro'! lol

Oh, and this morning I sold my other mountain bike. SE Stout. Got $230 for it which I was asking $250 on Craigslist. I'm already on the look out for a cheaper mountain bike that has gears and a lockout front fork. I'm looking for used or new.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Perhaps I'm about to stick my foot in my mouth (a common occurrence) but I have a question...

How often do y'all oil the chain on your Rockers, and what type of oil do you use?

Wet? Dry?

Ddz
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    How do you guys post pictures? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Dry (wax) is the only way to go. "Squirt" is the best we've used here in Florida. Has been the shop lube for 5 years now. We had used White Lightning (regular type) before that.

Lube about every 100 miles, or anytime you get it wet (rain, rivers, washing, etc...). If you use too much, it's not a big deal. The extra will just chunk off and won't become slimy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    We had the annual Fat Tire Festival this weekend. Demo trailers from Norco, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Trek, and lots of other industry brands came out. My shop owner took my Rocker out there to put with our display tent. It got lots of attention and he talked to people about it all day. They were surprised @ the price!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Dry (wax) is the only way to go. "Squirt" is the best we've used here in Florida. Has been the shop lube for 5 years now. We had used White Lightning (regular type) before that.

Lube about every 100 miles, or anytime you get it wet (rain, rivers, washing, etc...). If you use too much, it's not a big deal. The extra will just chunk off and won't become slimy.
    Second the notion for squirt wax.

Works great for me in San Diego.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Thank you Sir, Amazon has it available so I will order some.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Second the notion for squirt wax.

Works great for me in San Diego.
    Thanks. San Diego is too far for me to ride, but I'll order some Squirt anyway!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks. San Diego is too far for me to ride, but I'll order some Squirt anyway!
    Haha yeah. Location is important though. I don't see a ton of water, so I can't comment on how it does in a wet environment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

My bottle of Squirt arrived two days ago. Thank you for the suggestion Sir!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Does anyone know where the serial number is located on the Rocker? My insurance company wants it.

I found a 9 digit number on the bottom of the frame; is that it?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    White sticker with a bar code, bottom of the down tube, a few inches above the bottom bracket. Giant has switched to those instead of engraved bottom brackets.

mtbr member
    We had the annual Fat Tire Festival this weekend. Demo trailers from Norco, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Trek, and lots of other industry brands came out. My shop owner took my Rocker out there to put with our display tent. It got lots of attention and he talked to people about it all day. They were surprised @ the price!
    I'd seriously like to know what your shop owner has to say about using the Rocker on rooty, slightly rocky, not to technical but technical trails with some minor jumps like I experience here in South Jersey, in terms of if the bike is it built strong enough in the right places along the frame and fork? I would assume it is as I've had mine out on the trails and it seemed pretty darn dialed in for what I'm riding here in SNJ.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I played with it for about 2 hours on the rhythm/skills section of the trailhrlead. There are mini rock gardens, log crossings, skinnys, and small jumps. I did many runs on each of them. Got up to maybe 2 feet of air over the jumps. Only thing I had to do was readjust the headset a little. I'm 240lbs and not always the most gentle/graceful!

Wheels would be the only slight concern/upgrade I'd start saving for. Switch to a cassette hub in the process.

mtbr member
    I played with it for about 2 hours on the rhythm/skills section of the trailhrlead. There are mini rock gardens, log crossings, skinnys, and small jumps. I did many runs on each of them. Got up to maybe 2 feet of air over the jumps. Only thing I had to do was readjust the headset a little. I'm 240lbs and not always the most gentle/graceful!

Wheels would be the only slight concern/upgrade I'd start saving for. Switch to a cassette hub in the process.
    That's sweet! Good to hear it's taking your abuse. I guess one of my concerns is that strength of the split top tube, other than the rims obviously.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on another 29er for serious trail use and keep my Rocker as my commuter/wheelie/fun bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Split top tubes have been around for many years and come back in cycles (lame pun intended). Not a lack of strength, usually just a little unnecessary weight compared to a traditional top tube. It may make for an easier/cheaper frame if the two top tubes continue into the seat stays.

I believe the brand "OnOne" fatty runs split top tubes also, just without the flared cup holder section. (May have seen that earlier in this thread?) The cage mount connecting them should eliminate any potential weakening due to the curves. Many frames are designed with intentional flex zones for comfort, so even if it does flex some, it shouldn't hurt anything and may possibly smooth the ride a little bit.
    Last edited by ACoolName; 03-30-2016 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Significant bracing on this one.

mtbr member
    Split top tubes have been around for many years and come back in cycles (lame pun intended). Not a lack of strength, usually just a little unnecessary weight compared to a traditional top tube. It may make for an easier/cheaper frame if the two top tubes continue into the seat stays.

I believe the brand "OnOne" fatty runs split top tubes also, just without the flared cup holder section. (May have seen that earlier in this thread?) The cage mount connecting them should eliminate any potential weakening due to the curves. Many frames are designed with intentional flex zones for comfort, so even if it does flex some, it shouldn't hurt anything and may possibly smooth the ride a little bit.

Significant bracing on this one.
    Your a wealthy of knowledge and comfort lol

Butt seriously, thanks! Ya know my reason for asking about this (apparently non-issue) is because Momentum/Giant states this bike is not intended for off road use does it not? I'm not home to look at mine for any sticker that says that...?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    White sticker with a bar code, bottom of the down tube, a few inches above the bottom bracket. Giant has switched to those instead of engraved bottom brackets.
    Thanks. Ironically my Rocker has both the white sticker AND a number engraved on the bottom bracket. I'll look at them soon to see if they match.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by demonbydesign View Post
    Your a wealthy of knowledge and comfort lol

Butt seriously, thanks! Ya know my reason for asking about this (apparently non-issue) is because Momentum/Giant states this bike is not intended for off road use does it not? I'm not home to look at mine for any sticker that says that...?
    My Rocker has the aforementioned sticker just aft of the cup holder on the starboard tube (2 inches behind the cup holder on the right side tube).

As stated previously I suspect that is their way of (hopefully) avoiding liability if you break your head. The Rocker is not a "serious" off road bike.

I weigh 190 so weight is not as much of a concern as age (I'm 60).

As I mentioned a while back if I go bouncing down a trail it probably means I fell off!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks. Ironically my Rocker has both the white sticker AND a number engraved on the bottom bracket. I'll look at them soon to see if they match.
    If they dont match, go with what the sticker says. That sticker always matches the serial number on the box the bike shipped in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    If they dont match, go with what the sticker says. That sticker always matches the serial number on the box the bike shipped in.
    Ok, the white sticker says "ISO xxxx-x" (the x's represent numbers).

Could that be the serial number? It seems too short in my humble opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Has nobody posted anything for 3 weeks or am I not receiving emails from the board?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It's not you. Traffic has been slow. I'd like to hope it's because everyone is too busy riding to spend time behind the keyboard. Unfortunately for me personally it's because I've had my hair on fire at the office all week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher2011 View Post
    It's not you. Traffic has been slow. I'd like to hope it's because everyone is too busy riding to spend time behind the keyboard. Unfortunately for me personally it's because I've had my hair on fire at the office all week.
    I was hoping it wasn't me. I take a shower every Saturday whether I need it or not!

We've been riding more now that the weather is warming up, but I still look forward to posts on the board in the evening.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Did you have to get longer cables in order to install those bars?

What bars are they?

Looks good but I'll probably stick with the stock handlebars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm liking the BMX bars; must be very comfortable to cruise along with.
    Totem KDS-D fatbike, Brompton M2L-X Ti, 6kg Dahon Dove, 1998 GT Forte Ti road bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    500 mile review of this bike... My son has it for commuting at college. Great bike FOR THAT. He takes it when home on real trails occasionally. Bike seems very nimble and the seemingly poor tires perform decently. However brakes suck. Hugely suck IMO. They will be next to be upgraded (soon). Pedals were swapped out for low profile pinned aluminum. Frame seems solidly built although quite flexy surprisingly. I'll continue to document as while it's not his primary trail bike he often takes it when I go as it evens the playing field a little. All in all a good buy considering price and name that backs it up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I agree. Brakes did improve with some longer bedding in, but never had the feel of even the bottom shelf shimano hydraulics. Definitely not a performance parts package. I had plans of upgrading most everything component wise, plus wheels and then using it as a real trail bike, but the cost pushed past the cost of another fat bike I found a deal on. Picked it up instead. The Rocker is the loaner now.

It's still a great buy and a great bike...if you plan to use it mostly as intended.

I will say that I miss the oversized aluminum tubing. My new fatty is a Charge Cooker Maxi. Chromoly tubing with old school diameters. Looks tiny with the fat tires!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Fwiw swapped brakes and rotors with BB5s, put on some ergo grips, and this bike isn't half bad. Not hard core by any means but maneuverable, comfortable (for smaller guys) and so far reliable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Rocker vs Gravity Bullseye Monster?

Hey everybody - I'm thinking about getting a fat bike and am trying to decide between a Rocker or the 2017 Gravity Bullseye Monster.

They are roughly the same price, and I'm planning on using the bike mostly for the beach in northern CA for running my dogs, but also probably for some light trail use and possibly in the snow once and while.

I greatly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks - Matt

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by langcow View Post
    Rocker vs Gravity Bullseye Monster?

Hey everybody - I'm thinking about getting a fat bike and am trying to decide between a Rocker or the 2017 Gravity Bullseye Monster.

They are roughly the same price, and I'm planning on using the bike mostly for the beach in northern CA for running my dogs, but also probably for some light trail use and possibly in the snow once and while.

I greatly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks - Matt
    I'm probably the least experienced rider here, but as nobody else has replied...

You are exactly where I was a year ago, and I went with the Rocker.

My reason for going with the Rocker was because I have a local bike shop that supports them.

After a year I'm still very happy with my decision. The Rocker meets my needs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Cool - thanks for the info. I think that's some pretty good advise. Have you tried yours on sand at all?

mtbr member

beach bike

I'm planning on using the bike mostly for the beach
    My (East coast) beach experience is that wider tires on wide rims are better on sand. The Gravity has 80mm rims, and a bike with 100mm rims is more likely to work with 4.5+ tires. For not much more, I'm happy with a Mongoose Argus (often discounted @ Amazon and Nashbar) as beach bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Cool - thanks for the info. I think that's some pretty good advise. Have you tried yours on sand at all?
    I've been threatening to ride my Rocker on the beach here in Oriental (it's about 100 yards long). I have yet to do so.

All of my riding has been on paved roads with a few hops over curbs, etc.

Sorry I can not afford you a better answer Sir.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Tire Pressure Gauge

My Joe's Racing 0-30 lbs. tire pressure gauge arrived today.

Several people suggested that I just lower the pressure until the tires felt squishy, but I'm a network engineer by trade and a perfectionist by nature.

In any case when I checked the air pressure in my tires I was genuinely surprised.

I lowered the pressure in the tires months ago to where I could "squeeze" the tires by hand, but not very much. I had it in mind that the tires probably had 18-20 pounds of air in them.

Much to my surprise BOTH tires only have 8 pounds of air in them!

In my humble opinion this gauge was a good investment. I was convinced that I could lower the pressure a lot more. Now I know that lowering the pressure much more may have caused me to damage a wheel or three.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Picked one up at a lbs in north los angeles last week for $500. Wanted khaki but they only had the green camo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Congratulations on your purchase Sir!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Got one in the summer

Hey everyone!

I got a iRide Rocker this summer and I love this bike but its starting to get cold out and snows about to fall, have any of you upgraded your tire setup? If so what did you upgrade to? And those of you who didn't upgrade your tires, how do the stock tires hold up in the snow?

Also Psi.....what numbers should I be looking at before I hit the snow? Sorry for the noob questions.

Thanks everyone

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I put schwalbe jumbo Jim 4.8 tires, with a couple important changes. First I replaced the front rim with a 100mm rim, but re-used the original spokes and rim. The front tire and wheel fit great, except I have to remove the front caliper when installing the wheel, and reinstall the caliper after the wheel is seated. The clearance between the tire and fork is ample.

The rear tire did not fit without rubbing. The sidewalls are clear of the frame, but the outside knobs rubbed. Combined with the flexing of the frame, I ended up trimming the outside knobs down to about 2mm. The chain also rubbed the tire sidewall. I swapped the position of the front chain ring and the black guard, such that the chain ring is now on the outside. Now I have no rubbing.

The bike looks sweet! I can't comment on snow performance, but I'm sure you can look up jumbo Jim reviews.
    Last edited by berniempb99; 01-07-2017 at 01:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Has anyone set the stock rims up tubeless?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    That was going to be my next question. I would really like to know if anyone has swapped over to tubeless.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by berniempb99 View Post
    I put schwalbe jumbo Jim 4.8 tires, with a couple important changes. First I replaced the front rim with a 100mm rim, but re-used the original spokes and rim. The front tire and wheel fit great, except I have to remove the front caliper when installing the wheel, and reinstall the caliper after the wheel is seated. The clearance between the tire and fork is ample.

The rear tire did not fit without rubbing. The sidewalls are clear of the frame, but the outside knobs rubbed. Combined with the flexing of the frame, I ended up trimming the outside knobs down to about 2mm. The chain also rubbed the tire sidewall. I swapped the position of the front chain ring and the black guard, such that the chain ring is now on the outside. Now I have no rubbing.

The bike looks sweet! I can't comment on snow performance, but I'm sure you can look up jumbo Jim reviews.
    Awesome work! You got a pic of the setup?

I've seen 4.8" for sale but I didn't know if they would fit the back let alone the front. I've been looking at some 4.5" as well.

Now I have seen some Jumbo Jim at 4.0" which I wouldn't mind buying. How do they handle on the trails?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I ordered a set of Jaggernauts today. 4.0 for the front and 4.5 for the rear. $123.00 total with free installation!

Will post some pics in a week or so when the tires are mounted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Update on the jumbo Jim 4.8 tires: After 3 weeks of being inflated to about 15-20 psi (I ride street pulling a trailer with kids), the back tire outer knobs rub the frame. I will trim them down more, but would recommend to others that a 4.8 is slightly too large for the rear.

The front 100mm rim and tire combo still fits, admittedly clearance is small.

All in all, the bike still looks amazing!Giant Fatty For 0-img_0138.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_0132.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_0133.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_0134.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_0135.jpgGiant Fatty For 0-img_0136.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbyw View Post
    The 45north Flowbeast and Dundebeast 4.0 x 4.6 do fit the Rocker.
    I ordered the Jaggernauts, and I don't go back on my word.

If the Jaggernauts do not work out these will be my next choice Sir!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Does anyone have experience with the Flowbeist/Dunderbeist on the Rocker?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Took the Rocker to Beaufort today and had the Jaggernauts mounted.

It looks and rides like a different bicycle. The taller rear tire changed the "gearing" naturally. I need to ride it a while to see if I need a smaller chainring.

Can anyone tell me if I can go to a narrow-wide chainring and still use the bash ring?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Update on the jumbo Jim 4.8 tires: After 3 weeks of being inflated to about 15-20 psi (I ride street pulling a trailer with kids), the back tire outer knobs rub the frame. I will trim them down more, but would recommend to others that a 4.8 is slightly too large for the rear.
    Bernie? I suspect we're the only two people following this thread now. Very disappointing as I used to look forward to learning from others.

As stated previously I had a Juggernaut 4.5 mounted on the rear of my Rocker and a 4.0 mounted on the front. We'll see how it goes...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The jugs were my other choice! Let me know how they work, I may put them on my wife's bike. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    The jugs were my other choice! Let me know how they work, I may put them on my wife's bike. Thanks!
    I sure will. After having the 4.0 mounted on the front I realized that the 4.5 would probably fit up there. On the other hand most of my riding is on the street and a tire that is too aggressive might not be a good thing on the front. So I'm happy with what I have (for now).

I really would like to try the Flowbeist/Dunderbeist combination but don't know if they will work with the stock rims.

mtbr member

narrow-wide chainring + bash ring

Can anyone tell me if I can go to a narrow-wide chainring and still use the bash ring?
    Narrow-wide chainrings change neither centerline nor width of chain;
    bash ring clearance should be unchanged

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by blekenbleu View Post
    Narrow-wide chainrings change neither centerline nor width of chain;
    bash ring clearance should be unchanged
    Thank you! That will be the next upgrade to Rocky.

mtbr member
    That will be the next upgrade
    Meanwhile, I use an Acco binder clip to gather loose trouser cuff
    outside of right ankle

mtbr member

Juggernaut 4.5 in front

the 4.5 would probably fit up there
    According to berniempb99, it should Giant Fatty For $590
    .. but on a 50mm rim, 4.5 would be too curved to provide more grip or flotation than 4.0. Meanwhile, a 100mm rim and 4.5 tire would compromise Rocker's easy wheelies, light weight and nimble handling for cruising.

I tried and failed to find your 100 yd beach on Google Maps.
    In sand, I always find that a larger front tire (on suitable rim) than rear
    improves handling balance, whether on rigid fat or full suspension or hardtail mtb.
    At the same time, other than tread roar and flywheel momentum, larger front tires are problematic on harder surfaces mainly because more tire pressure fiddling is wanted to minimize self-steer, rolling resistance and pedal bob. 6-8psi in 4.5 Juggernaut Pro with tube worked for me..

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by blekenbleu View Post
    According to berniempb99, it should Giant Fatty For $590
    .. but on a 50mm rim, 4.5 would be too curved to provide more grip or flotation than 4.0. Meanwhile, a 100mm rim and 4.5 tire would compromise Rocker's easy wheelies, light weight and nimble handling for cruising...
    Thank you for your input! As noted above I already had the Juggernaut 4.0 mounted on the front and the 4.5 mounted on the rear. Hopefully by the end of summer I can give a good report on the tires.

My wife & I ride with another couple down here. My friend's wife mentioned a while back that when we ride together she always thinks there is a car coming up behind her.

When I had the Juggernauts mounted I rode around Beaufort for a while. I looked back twice thinking there was a truck coming up behind me; the second time I looked back I realized it was the rear tire I was hearing!

I realize the more aggressive tires may compromise the cruising ability of my Rocker, but at our age we don't ride fast. I don't do wheelies and I just want to try a fatbike with aggressive tires.

Will let you know how it goes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Took Rocky out for a spin around the village this afternoon. First time since having the Juggernauts mounted.

We were less than a block from home when a lady commented on my tires. No matter where we went people commented on the tires!

We did not go off-road so I can not give a report on that. I will say that on the road the tires are very noisy, and the front tire has a bit of self-steer. Have to pay attention to that in the future.

The Juggernauts definitely changed the gear ratio, and I will be emailing my LBS to order a 32T NW chainring as soon as I finish this post.

Seems like I was in second gear most of the ride. Sometimes I needed to go one gear lower, but first gear on Rocky is WAY too low. A new chainring should take care of that and allow me to ride in 3rd & 2nd gear and avoid punching into 1st gear.

The final verdict is that I love my fatbike! I'm running 12 pounds of air in the rear and 10 in the front. The bike was very comfortable although I may try less air to see how it rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hey I just got one of these! Cool bike. Works better than I expected. I'll post again once I've tested it more

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hey I just got one of these! Cool bike. Works better than I expected. I'll post again once I've tested it more
    Congratulations on your purchase!

Mine works great, but I'm not a hard core rider.

I look forward to reading of your exploits and what you think of your Rocker after you have ridden it a while. You got a great bike in my humble opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What's the hub spacing on the Rocker?

I bought one of these, sold it for the Momentum Rocker King with the 4.8 tires but I did not get on with the 4.8 tires, 4.0 was the sweet spot, and the rims were too wide so ended up selling that and getting one of these Hi-Bike Monster fatbike

but geo on that is just wrong for me.

The Rocker was the best, and I'm considering swapping that dabomb bike with the Rocker (I sold it to a friend) and I guess I'll just change the hubs so I can put in a cassette and not be stuck on the freewheel.

Jones bars on the Rocker is great.

Also anyone know if there are different BB standards for fat bikes? What's the length I need to swap out the Rocker's crankset?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123