mtbr member
    Apr 2014

For a full suspension downhil fatty, is it worth getting double wall rims?

Will be going on a set of 5kg Monster Ts, but I'm not sure! I was looking at getting them from Robs'son - Fette Felgen für 'nen schmalen Taler - Robs'son Thanks (:

will rant for food
    Jan 2010

This is a topic outside of the norm. What tires are you going to use that you expect will stand up to the rigors of downhill abuse?

I admire your bravery.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post

This is a topic outside of the norm. What tires are you going to use that you expect will stand up to the rigors of downhill abuse?

I admire your bravery.
    Haha, thank you! I really wanted a full sus bike that needs no trails, will literally bomb down anything, so should be pretty fun! I was going to use Nates/Husker Dus. I'm not expectant on much really, so it won't be the end of the world if they don't work out but I definetely want to give them a go! The 27tpi Nates seem perfect, they have quite a thick casing too (:

aka bOb
    I know nothing about dh but the original Large Marge is probably the toughest rim out there.

since 4/10/2009
    Not sure what bike you're talking about downhilling with, but there's not really a "true" downhill fat bike out there, anyway. The most burly ones are at best, all-mountain-ish. The biggest hangup is going to be tire durability, really.

Plus, I don't know where you plan to ride this thing...but where I live, good luck with trying to go completely off-trail. The underbrush is too thick. And that's even if such a thing were permissible, which it is not on anything but private land.

beater

There is the 11nine Hemicyon on the horizon, at least:

https://www.11ninefatbikes.com/hemicyon-1.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The Devistators are up to downhill duty. A very strong tire that works well in the rocks.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post

Yup that looks like the best option, not including the one-off Santa Cruz V10 fatty

ebnash
    Last year at Sea Otter, a Borealis Echo won the hard tail class in Pro.

Don't be fooled or persuaded that Fatties can't get it done on downhill courses...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, fatbikes are the best for the Tour de France too. In fact, I won it last year on a fatbike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I know nothing about dh but the original Large Marge is probably the toughest rim out there.
    Thank you for actually answering my question! I was considering the Large Marge actually, it is double wall too, the thing I'm wondering is if it's worth the extra weight? Double wall or single wall?

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Yup that looks like the best option, not including the one-off Santa Cruz V10 fatty
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post

Thanks for the suggestions, but I was just going to create a new backend for an existing dh frame, a new Fat one is too far out of my budget!

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Not sure what bike you're talking about downhilling with, but there's not really a "true" downhill fat bike out there, anyway. The most burly ones are at best, all-mountain-ish. The biggest hangup is going to be tire durability, really.

Plus, I don't know where you plan to ride this thing...but where I live, good luck with trying to go completely off-trail.
    I never mentioned a bike! I'm getting a new back end made on an existing downhill frame, that's the plan! I'm not too concerned about tyre durability, the 27tpi Nates I have feel really thick.........

Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    The Devistators are up to downhill duty. A very strong tire that works well in the rocks.
    Someone else has suggested that exact same tyre to me too! I will see how I get one with Nate first.. I kind of need to build the wheel first though. Really looking for some guidance on rims!

Quote Originally Posted by ebnash View Post
    Last year at Sea Otter, a Borealis Echo won the hard tail class in Pro.

Don't be fooled or persuaded that Fatties can't get it done on downhill courses...
    Wow really? That's pretty shocking!

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

Big down hill speeds on those heavy Hoops,
    Full suspension, yeah I want one but still,,,

Ok so your fork and shock are tuned to damp and control the movement of the Fat wheel n tire combo..
    I suspect the suspension will see movement speeds far outside of Its design parameters....

Back to that big speed, the down hill part......

I wonder how much heat the shock and or fork can take, handle or dissipate if thats possible,, before It blows out and that heavy wheel and tire launches you 20 feet up....
    With luck you will go Into the crowd of spectators, soft bodies should limit the number of fractures you will face..
    But those tree's, those boulders,,I dunno bout that,,,,

The You Tube should be Epic :P
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

Elitest thrill junkie
    It'll be self-limiting anyway. At real high speeds, the wheels create so much gyroscopic motion you have to significantly slow down for turns, otherwise, you just shoot straight ahead off the cliff. I like my fatbike, but the faster it goes downhill in the dry, the more it sucks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member

It would be cool to find some brand new large marge wheels that were new. My pug had a non offset front rim wheel that I wish I had kept.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    It would be cool to find some brand new large marge wheels that were new. My pug had a non offset front rim wheel that I wish I had kept.
    I have a single Large Marge doublewall rim on the shelf still. New, unlaced, black.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Day 227. Still no relevant replies!

aka bOb
    There was a large Marge xc that was a little lighter due to inner wall deing drilled out or something like that. Anyhoo drillium could make them a little lighter without compramise.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    Day 227. Still no relevant replies!
    When I get a suggestion on an unusual topic I've brought up, and the suggestion isn't helpful... short story is that a snarky response is guaranteed to bring you, at best silence, and at worst, some sarcasm in return.

Thought you were OfficerFriendly, yes?

There's one guy on here with a long travel suss fat bike on here, and he "sends it". I'd look him up but suddenly I'm feeling unmotivated.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

not FAT free
    i have double wall rim ( mine is 80mm) on a front wheel and is 3 years old and is true as day one and it took a few hits
    rim is 1300grams so its heavy but it gave me peace of mind
    and i would recommend it for DH or FR
    as a rear use 65mm marge lite and after 2 years has only one small ding, i don't have rough downhill trails where i ride so maybe that's why but i'm not XC also
    if You plan to built dh fat bike and if You use single wall rim on rear i think suspension will keep it healthy, my bike is 7" travel and i think that is part of success

any pic of what You are working on ?
    cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    There was a large Marge xc that was a little lighter due to inner wall deing drilled out or something like that. Anyhoo drillium could make them a little lighter without compramise.
    I've never seen that, that sounds pretty good actually, can't find them anywhere though! Thank you for your reply though! (:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    When I get a suggestion on an unusual topic I've brought up, and the suggestion isn't helpful... short story is that a snarky response is guaranteed to bring you, at best silence, and at worst, some sarcasm in return.

Thought you were OfficerFriendly, yes?

There's one guy on here with a long travel suss fat bike on here, and he "sends it". I'd look him up but suddenly I'm feeling unmotivated.
    Ahh fair enough, I didn't mean it in a bad way at all, was just kind of frustrated. I apologise if I've offended anybody! (:

Quote Originally Posted by RFX big foot View Post
    i have double wall rim ( mine is 80mm) on a front wheel and is 3 years old and is true as day one and it took a few hits
    rim is 1300grams so its heavy but it gave me peace of mind
    and i would recommend it for DH or FR
    as a rear use 65mm marge lite and after 2 years has only one small ding, i don't have rough downhill trails where i ride so maybe that's why but i'm not XC also
    if You plan to built dh fat bike and if You use single wall rim on rear i think suspension will keep it healthy, my bike is 7" travel and i think that is part of success

any pic of what You are working on ?
    cheers
    Oh my god just the guy I was thinking of!!! You're pretty much my inspiration for all this, so thank you! For 3 years, wow, that's pretty great! Doesn't the super wide rim get a lot of rock hits or what not? And I would be honoured to show you what I'm working on haha! Marzochhi Monster Ts, forks aren't as good as yours, but they're what I've got , can't find the white brothers ones anywhere either! The great thing about them is that they're completely modular, I was going to widen the front to 150mm, get all new crowns fabricated, but since I don't have much money, and it just about fits a 4" as you can see from the pics, I was just going to leave as is for now, just trying to find a rim!

For a full suspension downhil fatty, is it worth getting double wall rims?-img_2514.jpgFor a full suspension downhil fatty, is it worth getting double wall rims?-img_2521.jpg
    For a full suspension downhil fatty, is it worth getting double wall rims?-img_2520.jpgFor a full suspension downhil fatty, is it worth getting double wall rims?-img_2523.jpg

Since I was going to run 4", unlike your beastly 5" I wanted to go 65mm to get a rounder profile for better cornering as opposed to 80mm which would look way better I've had a set of Marge Lites and they are absolutely crazy light! I'm very suprised you're running them, but glad to hear you've no problems! You've pretty much answered my question, so thank you very much! I'll go double wall then! I kinda wanna get matching rims too and for that peace of mind I'll get double wall on the rear too!! I haven't bought a frame yet, but I've found a few! The ones with modular back ends which bolt together look perfect, I'm eyeing up a Turner 5 spot which doesn't have much travel, but looks like a decent bike to start on! I can let you know how I get on if you like (: thanks again bud!

not FAT free
    in this s case just cut new arch for monster and reduce travel a bit and You should be fine with 65 mm rim and 4.0 tire
    I run 5" for snow only, van helga /nate for rest of days
    large marge would be just fine for You

turner 5 spot is not much of a downhill bike but still ok for good ride , look for frame with 135 mm rear spacing and biggest tire clearance
    best would be frame with sliding dropouts, which would be easy to make for big wheel

this frame can fit bluto in case if You want lighten up front and have dropouts i talked about
    For a full suspension downhil fatty, is it worth getting double wall rims?-knolly.jpg

cheers
    Last edited by RFX big foot; 02-15-2015 at 07:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    in this s case just cut new arch for monster and reduce travel a bit and You should be fine with 65 mm rim and 4.0 tire

turner 5 spot is not much of a downhill bike but still ok for good ride , look for frame with 135 mm rear spacing and biggest tire clearance
    best would be frame with sliding dropouts, which would be easy to make for big wheel

this frame can fit bluto in case if You want lighten up front
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knolly.jpg 
Views:	1223 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	964501

cheers
    That's what I was going to do! That's actually great to hear, hopefully 4" will be good and I won't want 5"

Yeah I know what you mean, I wanted to find something cheap to start off with, the rear triangle on it is all modular so should be much easier than a 1 piece triangle. I'm curious, why 135mm? Wouldn't 142 or 150mm be better? I was looking at an Iron Horse Sunday, 83mm bottom bracket, 1.5" steerer and 150mm rear end, only problem is rear end is one piece and I am very inexperienced in terms of things like this! The Knolly Delerium looks fantastic!

aka bOb
    One could easily do something like this in the garage if they one couldn't be found. That's if the extra strength of a double wall is warranted in the first place. If I remember right you are kind of a little dood aren't you?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Elitest thrill junkie

this frame can fit bluto in case if You want lighten up front and have dropouts i talked about

cheers
    You don't need to reduce the travel, in fact, you can't, because the cartridge is closed and not serviceable. What you can do, and what I did in the past, is buy some 3/4 couplers and some threaded rod, attach the couplers to the the foot-nuts and small sections of threaded rod to make an extension of the foot-nuts. This will buy you another 3/4, and since it's a Monster T, your bushing overlap will be ok.

The other problem is the arc, these barely cleared 3" tires, not 4", I think you need to re-evaluate the arch, it will be too low and probably contact the sides and top of the tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    One could easily do something like this in the garage if they one couldn't be found. That's if the extra strength of a double wall is warranted in the first place. If I remember right you are kind of a little dood aren't you?
    I am quite a little "dude" yes, I'm suprised you remembered! I'm 5"5 and about 45kg, so maybe it would be worth drilling the double walls out? I'm very inexperienced though and I really do not trust myself to do this haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    You don't need to reduce the travel, in fact, you can't, because the cartridge is closed and not serviceable. What you can do, and what I did in the past, is buy some 3/4 couplers and some threaded rod, attach the couplers to the the foot-nuts and small sections of threaded rod to make an extension of the foot-nuts. This will buy you another 3/4, and since it's a Monster T, your bushing overlap will be ok.

The other problem is the arc, these barely cleared 3" tires, not 4", I think you need to re-evaluate the arch, it will be too low and probably contact the sides and top of the tire.
    Wow, you've got quite a bit of knowledge on them, thanks for chiming in (: I'm really not quite sure what you mean though to be honest!!! And yeah, I totally agree about the Arc, I was going to remove it and get another machined up