mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Full suspension and 50mm rabbit hole,Knard 29x3.0???

Anyone found a 29er full suspension frame that will take a Knard tire in a 50mm rim yet?

if not, which one might be best to modify for it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I do not think there is one but I always thought the Banshee bikes (Prime) would be easier because they have the removable dropouts that could be extended if one has access to a machinist.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    have a 26" with 47mm rims and large tires, 2.4 ardent back, conti front.
    would think, with a 2.35 tire, and 50mm rabbit hole rim, be fun, especially for the winter.
    running 16psi rear, 14psi front, i'am ~200lbs+ (26er), at 27" it's a little short of the 650B. got the legs, tons of fun. like it more than my 29er.
    -Rob

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Anyone found a 29er full suspension frame that will take a Knard tire in a 50mm rim yet?

if not, which one might be best to modify for it?
    I've got one.
    But I had it made.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlikedog View Post
    I've got one.
    But I had it made.
    Is that the pivotless ti one I've seen on here once or twice?

What was the builder?

mtbr member
    I spoke to Walt at Waltworks about a 29+ FS frame with the Lefty Max in mind. He had some great suggestions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It seems like you should only need 3/8" of room on each side(and 3/4" in diameter) to grow from a 2.3" tire to a 3.0".

Are there no frames with that much room around the back tire?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Is that the pivotless ti one I've seen on here once or twice?

What was the builder?
    Yes.

Porter at XACD.
    If you need any input on it, I've learned a lot, and would be happy to discuss design issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It seems like you should only need 3/8" of room on each side(and 3/4" in diameter) to grow from a 2.3" tire to a 3.0".

Are there no frames with that much room around the back tire?
    Just about every bike I've ever had I've wished had more tire clearance. I've never really understood why they wouldn't maximize it, but it doesn't seem to be a design objective usually.

MTB B'dos
    Yes, the Prime would be a prime candidate for this because of the removable/changeable drop outs, but the better news is that it might fit without needing to do anything really I've got a 2.4" Ardent mounted on a Flow rim and it has gobs of clearance all around, the only question for me is if it'll clear the circumference or just rub. Plan on getting a Knard sometime down the road and build a RH front wheel for it to reside on for my rigid KM, when I do I'll see how it fits the rear of the Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by nolan17 View Post
    I do not think there is one but I always thought the Banshee bikes (Prime) would be easier because they have the removable dropouts that could be extended if one has access to a machinist.

-Nolan
    Full suspension and 50mm rabbit hole,Knard 29x3.0???-p1060821.jpg

Full suspension and 50mm rabbit hole,Knard 29x3.0???-p1060825.jpg
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlikedog View Post
    Just about every bike I've ever had I've wished had more tire clearance. I've never really understood why they wouldn't maximize it, but it doesn't seem to be a design objective usually.
    Yeah, I like some of the elevated chainstay designs purely for the fact that they eliminate the conflicts of tire clearance and chainstay overall effective length. then the tire only has to compete with the BB, chain and crankset for room down there.

I was looking at some of the slightly older Marin bikes with the elevated swingarm. They appear to have a nice wheel path and decent pedaling feedback characteristics, while getting the swingarm away from the cranks, allowing tire clearance to be less limited. I think that design would be great to convert to fatter tires, but it would require making a new swingarm, or widening the current one somehow.

They seem to be abandoning this for a more conventional VPP type setup, mainly to get the linkage mounts near the stronger intersections of tubes in the front triangle. the old elevated swingarm links mounted to the middle of the downtube, requiring a heavier frame. They also mention it their online hype that the older design was not compatible with 29er wheels, but I don't see how this was true. A few of the longer travel 26" ones looked like they had room for at least 27.5" tires as is, and maybe 29ers with less travel.