Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    addicted to chunk

Full Squish Fat Bike....where are they?....

So unless you make your own (which is awesome from the guys that have done it....very impressive!) options are limited to....the Carver Ti frame?
    That trans-fat frame looks awesome, but the Ti puts it into a price range that makes it hard to get for many riders.

I have been patiently waiting for the Salsa FS frame to be available, but who knows when, if ever, that will happen. I've bugged them many times over e-mail & it is always the same reply....prototype only for now....

Come on!
    We need an affordable aluminum FS frame.

My brain is doing weird things now, contemplating how I can make one myself, but when you don't have the equipment or knowledge to do the metal fab yourself, it is unlikely.

I would hate to dish out $3K for a ti fully, only to have an aluminum version come out a few months later...would be my luck haha.

What the big guys need to do, is offer a "fat" bolt-on rear triangle option for popular frames like the fuel, enduro, mojo, tallboy etc.
    That would be sweet!

enough of my ramblings for now.

Oh I know, someone will come in & say "You don't need suspension with the fat tires".....
    No....nobody even *needs* a fat bike. But we want them...they are fun....& so is suspension.

Riding.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Oh I know, someone will come in & say "You don't need suspension with the fat tires".....
    No....nobody even *needs* a fat bike. But we want them...they are fun....& so is suspension.

Welcome to the Lefty club! It's a HUGE improvement over fully rigid, but I'm with you... I want full squish now too.

mtbr member
    Salsa has said that as soon as there is an affordable production fatbike fork they'll build a FS fatty. That seems pretty darn reasonable.

You need to bug the fork manufacturers for a fat fork. That's what's holding up the show.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Salsa has said that as soon as there is an affordable production fatbike fork they'll build a FS fatty. That seems pretty darn reasonable.

You need to bug the fork manufacturers for a fat fork. That's what's holding up the show.
    working on exactly that.
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    working on exactly that.
    +1 - whichever of the main suspension companies comes to market first with a fat fork they will sell a bunch since people are hungry for them. Hopefully they are also Krampus compatible.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

addicted to chunk
    Yes, good point. But there are many lefties out there now, and lots of guys happily running mavericks etc.

Would be nice to see a fat Fox f120 though for about $500. Was hoping the sandman fork would be more cost effective than it turned out to be.

My point is if Salsa made a small batch of the frames they already spent the cash to design, they would likely have no issues selling them.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Would be nice to see a fat Fox f120 though for about $500. Was hoping the sandman fork would be more cost effective than it turned out to be.
    Keep dreaming. Most regular Fox forks are around $900!

mtbr member
    I'm with ya on the full suss fat deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Keep dreaming. Most regular Fox forks are around $900!
    +1 - I was just going to say the same thing.

A $1000 Fox fat fork would be great...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

addicted to chunk
    Lol maybe i am dreaming I'm talking standard 120rl, not talas or terralogic or anything fancy-pants.

Either way, i won't be switching from the lefty any time soon, Stiff and light, i love it.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Not being a 1 legged suss type i'm awaiting the release of the magical single crown 2 legged unit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I wonder how many people would be willing to buy a conversion rear triangle if produced, and which frame would be the most desired to have a fat tire conversion commercially available.
    There has to be plenty of fab shops that can do a small production run of bolt on rear triangle kits.

what frame would people be most interested in? All-Mountain or XC/trail? VPP/DW link or Horst link? Giant, Specialized, Trek, Titus or what else?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    I wonder how many people would be willing to buy a conversion rear triangle if produced, and which frame would be the most desired to have a fat tire conversion commercially available.
    There has to be plenty of fab shops that can do a small production run of bolt on rear triangle kits.

what frame would people be most interested in? All-Mountain or XC/trail? VPP/DW link or Horst link? Giant, Specialized, Trek, Titus or what else?
    xc/trail for me wiith a DW link which is what my current 26er has, yep i've looked at it as a conversion numerous times.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I would think there would be too many geometry compromises if converting a 26er. I would only go for a 29er, or maybe a long travel 26er, with reduced travel to try and keep the BB hieght, head angle, and standover clearance from getting pushed around too much.

You can keep some of those things the same when changing wheel diameters, but it is impossible to keep them all the same, at least not without changing the travel. If you change the travel, then the other measurements won't be applicable anymore anyways. It would be easiest to just start with a 29er, since it has the same diameter as most 3.8-4.0 fat bikes.

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Not being a 1 legged suss type i'm awaiting the release of the magical single crown 2 legged unit.
    There is the sandman fork....
    Riding.....

addicted to chunk
    I would think there would be too many geometry compromises if converting a 26er. I would only go for a 29er, or maybe a long travel 26er, with reduced travel to try and keep the BB hieght, head angle, and standover clearance from getting pushed around too much.

You can keep some of those things the same when changing wheel diameters, but it is impossible to keep them all the same, at least not without changing the travel. If you change the travel, then the other measurements won't be applicable anymore anyways. It would be easiest to just start with a 29er, since it has the same diameter as most 3.8-4.0 fat bikes.
    Yup starting with a 29er probably smarter.....but in my case i have a fuel frame sitting around....been measuring and thinking.....i may try to get a quote if i can find someone local willing to try....only needs stretched and widened 1". How hard could that be???
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    The Mav USD forks had a reputation for being a noodle that doesn't make me keen on an USD. I also wouldn't buy a fork my LBS wouldn't stock parts for and be able to service which means - RS/Fox or another brand popular in North America.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

not FAT free

29 require less work than 26, it need to be just widen , my Turner sultan is made that way
    only thing i didn't like was if riding low psi cranks were closer to ground
    so to fix that i set my fork to 5.5 travel and rear shock was custom made for the bike and is .25" longer
    all that did not change geometry but set bike higher - problem solved

mtbr member
    yes indeed and on my list.

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The Mav USD forks had a reputation for being a noodle that doesn't make me keen on an USD. I also wouldn't buy a fork my LBS wouldn't stock parts for and be able to service which means - RS/Fox or another brand popular in North America.
    Saying all USD forks are noodles is like saying a corvette drives like a pinto because they both have 4 wheels & a motor....

Based on the pics from the sandman guys launching the bikes, I'm guessing they're a bit more stiff than the ol' Mav's.

You have a good point about service & parts though. I like working on my own stuff including forks, I'm sure you can get rebuild parts from Sandman.
    Riding.....

Human Test Subject
    the trans fats are available now per the carver site. i know we have some rich folk on here with nothing better to spend their money on. so buy it and post pics to entertain the rest of us, please.

mtbr member
    Lot's of prior discussionon this topic.

as to modifying existing stuff:

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/fat...0f785112_o.jpg

A photo of a modified Turner FATTY

mtbr member
    In case anyone (or everyone, or just me) missed it, this was posted on the Fatback facebook page a month or so ago:

How many of you would be interested in purchasing this fork if we bring them in? Price is $999. 135mm front hub with 15mm thru axle required, which we are working on at the moment. If there's enough interest, we will take deposits for a late summer delivery.
    Full Squish Fat Bike....where are they?....-906812_334813206640591_857401323_o.jpg

Looks like the exact same fork Sandman uses and was also posted as a pic from a trade show with the manufacturers logo. At least you have a price and possible source now if interested.

I spy'd this on Tumblr today. From searching the googles... looks like it is a Nicolai UFO DS

Maybe this has been posted already since it is from March 15. I love everything about this bike.

Edit: I just did a search AFTER I already posted this Looks like it was posted already in March... but here it is for those who haven't seen it.

mtbr member

Full Squish Fat Bike....where are they?....

I wonder if they just haven't gotten round to putting the chain on yet, or if it doesn't actually work, like, at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast