mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Front tire options for snow free singletrack

I'm looking for a possible replacement for my stock Larry in front.My Mukluk has the tendency to slide out on tighter turns.I realize fat tires will not handle as well as 29er etc. but would like something with a little more grip. My back tire is an Endo which I have no problem with.I thought about either a Nate 120 tpi or a Husker Du.The problem with the HD is availability which I'm sure alot of you guys have experienced.
    Thoughts and experiences welcome.
    PS. Do you see HD availability improving,considering the growing demand?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just bought a Pugsley for southeastern singletrack and went with 27 tpi Nates front and back. Today was it's maiden voyage and I was amazed at the traction. I haven't ridden a Husker Du yet to compare but I don't think you would be disappointed with a Nate.

Perpetual n00b
    27tpi Nate front, reversed Larry on back. Fast as hell

Sandy Pants
    Feb 2011
    Love my Husker D s. Much more precise steering with much less feeling of steering "flop". They are especially much, much better with regard to the funky self-steering feel of the Larrys. I'm able to hold a line with considerably less wandering...big help when trying to stay in a narrow packed-snow trail. In snow they are much less prone to side-slip/washout, and when they do, it is much more gradual and controllable. All these improvements hold in non snow conditions. When I switched to Hu Dus, average speed on my usual 15 mi out & back has consistently been1/2-1 mph faster.
    - the Lipid Licker rides again -

mtbr member
    I just put Nates on my Pug front and rear...so far so good. We ride very slippery techy trails so traction is far more important than speed locally. I've never seen or tried an H Du.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Sandy Pants
    Feb 2011
    Haven't tried Nates, so can't give opinion. The Hu Dus have considerably better traction front and rear than my Endo rear, Larry front stock combo. I was able to stand and crank on same condition snow covered hills that the Endos required seated pedaling to avoid slipping. 30 mph down a snow covered gravel hill/road was not nearly the hair-raising adventure on Hu Dus that it was on the Endo/Larry combo. This is on a Muk II by the way. I haven't yet found the limit to the Hu Dus traction in non snow conditions, though I know it's there..there are always limits. Looking @ the larger knobs, I have to believe the Nates would hold on a bit longer than the Hu Dus. The Nates are also significantly heavier. Basically, pick what's most important to your uses and put the trade-offs where they matter least. Different strokes for different blokes.
    - the Lipid Licker rides again -

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i love nates, had them on bike all winter, must be the best fat tyre for winter condition in the UK, even when we get snow its normally wet, sloshy and of course we get quite muddy too

just swapped them for husker du's first ride on them tomorrow will see how they go

i think to only downside of the nates it their extra weight - if thats an issue to you

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think the Nate is the best mud tyre I've ever used. It is possible to rail fast twisty single track - in very muddy conditions - with absolute confidence traction is unbelievable. Very good in the dry too, though noticeably draggier than a Larry.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If your looking for a good all year tire set up go with a HD in the front and a Larry or Endo in the rear depending on conditions. I just did a TT here in Iowa on tight single track with the HD + Endo setup. No funky self steering and bike was fast.

mtbr member
    I've not tried the Nates, but I had my first ride on the HDs tonight. OMG!!! Coupled with taking off the Alfine for 2x9, the 9zero7 now feels like a rocket ship. I also managed to clean two loose, gravelly climbs which I usually need to be at my very, very best for (I'm currently nowhere near). Absolute enjoyment. I currently have about 20psi in each end. I'm not getting the uncontrolled rebound that I feel with the Larry when pumped up but it's still absorbing all the trail chatter.

I'm getting up early tomorrow and heading out again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've got a HuDu in the rear on my Muk 3, and a BFL up front. This worked really well for me in snow conditions, but now that the U.P. has turned into Arizona, I'm gonna change things up for muddy/dry singletrack. Up front, I'll first try a Nate that I have laying around and see how that goes. I'm also intrigued with going with BFLs front and rear, but that would seem more like a nice beach-riding combo than one that would handle trails well. We'll see.

addicted to chunk
    I haven't used a nate, but I love my HD's. I'd say it's worth the hassle of trying to find a set.
    They do not wash out like a larry in the front. I'd be willing to bet you get about 80% traction of the nate, but will roll so much better.

The HD's are so good, I wouldn't sell mine for twice what I paid for em. seriously!
    Riding.....