mtbr member

Front suspension for the Moonlander (4.8 tyres on 100mm rims)

I start a new front suspension thread, because I cannot find an existing one.

Most threads here discussing German A Flame, Maverick SC32 or Carver Trans Fat. They are great forks, but they don't accept really fat tyres such as Bud&Lou on ClownShoes rims.

Is lefty the one option currently available for these setups?
    Please, sorry for my English. It's not my native language.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yep. It was a difficult birthing for the fork-of-many-names, so I don't know why they didn't future-proof it to take 4.8's. Realistically, a Mendon-ized Lefty fork will out-perform the universal fatty fork and can be moved from bike to bike.

mtbr member
    Yes Lefty is the only answer at the moment.
    Front suspension for the Moonlander (4.8 tyres on 100mm rims)-image.jpg

mtbr member
    I wonder how hard it would be to weld the lower part of the moonlander for to a Headshock???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidboarder2k4 View Post
    I wonder how hard it would be to weld the lower part of the moonlander for to a Headshock???
    Walt did a Headshok fork. Maybe the idea could be transferred to a fatty?!?!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Don't ya have to use a 29er Lefty? Due to the size OD of the wheels with the tires? Or am I wrong.
    Climbing Builds Character

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by vack View Post
    Don't ya have to use a 29er Lefty? Due to the size OD of the wheels with the tires? Or am I wrong.
    There are only Leftys. To make one a "29er" version, you limit the travel with a longer spacer and tune the spring and damper. To make one a "fatty" version, you limit the travel and replace the clamps with longer ones - which means you can't convert the fancy bonded or unit forged ones.

My Lefty started life as a 26er - 140 Max. It was converted to 1 1/8" steer tube, then limited to 110mm travel and installed on a series of 29ers, and now sports fatclamps and lives on.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    There are only Leftys. To make one a "29er" version, you limit the travel with a longer spacer and tune the spring and damper. To make one a "fatty" version, you limit the travel and replace the clamps with longer ones - which means you can't convert the fancy bonded or unit forged ones.

My Lefty started life as a 26er - 140 Max. It was converted to 1 1/8" steer tube, then limited to 110mm travel and installed on a series of 29ers, and now sports fatclamps and lives on.
    Oh I See!! Excellent....maybe I'll start looking for an old Lefty Max.

One more question....where can you get a 135mm Lefty Hub? Does someone make those? I have a Moonlander....or.....wait.....I think I answered my own question....hrmm, maybe....

So because, you're no longer using the Moonlander Front Fork you don't need a 135mm Front hub? And can use a regular Lefty Hub and Lace it up to the Clown Shoes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That is correct. You must use a lefty hub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here's a friend of mine (on the last Global Fat Bike Day) riding his Moonie/Lefty/Bud/Lou/Clown Shoe...

S1300054

mtbr member
    Two additional questions:
    1. What is the average price of the fat-lefty project?
    2. Where do you guys find reasonable priced Leftys (especially MAX editions)?
    Please, sorry for my English. It's not my native language.

mtbr member
    Mikesee has one...it's soft-tail too...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    I'm sure you have a perfectly good reason for wanting front suspension and a 100mm rim with a bud - but in general the kind of surfaces that require a 100mm/4.8" combo would not require (and in fact would be hindered by) front suspension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    One drawback with the Lefty's is the inability to use a front rack. Not overly important for most but maybe an issue for some.

For me it's an issue, I'd love an Upside down fork that takes a 4.8 on a 100mm rim. That way I could have the best of both worlds, my panniers, in which I mainly carry water (10L or 10 Kg) with on the front, would be sprung weight and my wrists wouldn't cop a hammering from the corrugations (washboards).

BTW, they would, preferably, have the ability to be locked out.

Al
    It seemed like a good idea!...... at the time......

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by vack View Post
    One more question....where can you get a 135mm Lefty Hub? Does someone make those? I have a Moonlander....or.....wait.....I think I answered my own question....hrmm, maybe....

So because, you're no longer using the Moonlander Front Fork you don't need a 135mm Front hub? And can use a regular Lefty Hub and Lace it up to the Clown Shoes?
    There is only the Lefty hub (available from several vendors - Cdale, P321, I9....) But you lace it offset. Pugs & Moonie come with red offset build adapters. Lefty hubs have to have an axle-equivalent adapter to be built up. I tried building my Lefty hub with the Cdale adapter+Pugs adapter stacked, and it worked okay but did not have enough offset to clear the Lefty. Trying to stack the Cdale adapter with a Moonie adapter (56mm!) was too much - hard to keep it square, so I just manually offset it in the stand. The tire would still rub on the trail, so I finally put together a proper build adapter:
    A Project 321 Lefty hub adapter, with a longer threaded rod and a 56mm spacer.

Here's the wheel in the stand

It's cross laced, but that's a finicky thing. Lacing offset to the rim using only one row of holes works fine.

Where to get a Lefty? Anywhere on the used market (Ebay, Craigslist, Pinkbike, ......) - but patience is required to get what you want at the price you want.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    The old lefty Max alloy forks can be converted to a PBR damper which gives a lockout and an air spring for easier tuning. The A-C (extended length) can also be set a bit shorter with the PBR damper for custom fitment if desired.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Wow that's a Funky Lace...But Cool! Thanks! If I can find me a Lefty for a good price I might give that a go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The upcoming ...... will take a true 5.0 (ie bigger than Bud) on a 100mm rim.
    I'm sure the details and sneak pics will leak on Bike Rumor well before ...... shows it to me and other industry folks, though. Funny how that works.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    The old lefty Max alloy forks can be converted to a PBR damper which gives a lockout and an air spring for easier tuning. The A-C (extended length) can also be set a bit shorter with the PBR damper for custom fitment if desired.
    Another benefit. It also drops 1/2 # from the fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    The upcoming ...... will take a true 5.0 (ie bigger than Bud) on a 100mm rim.
    I'm sure the details and sneak pics will leak on Bike Rumor well before ...... shows it to me and other industry folks, though. Funny how that works.
    on a 135 hub or wider?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yxan View Post
    on a 135 hub or wider?
    135mm if I remember the presentation correctly
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

Human Test Subject
    Do you remember if it was front or rear spaced? Hopefully front so people can use adapters on their rear spaced hubs. Can't go the other way without extreme pain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Do you remember if it was front or rear spaced? Hopefully front so people can use adapters on their rear spaced hubs. Can't go the other way without extreme pain.
    I'm thinking rear spaced 135 forks are dead by now or at least will be on any future not yet released product.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    They didn't specify front or rear, but I can't imagine anyone launching a rear specific setup now.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    I'm sure you have a perfectly good reason for wanting front suspension and a 100mm rim with a bud - but in general the kind of surfaces that require a 100mm/4.8" combo would not require (and in fact would be hindered by) front suspension.
    Only time I think I would really want a bit of suspension on my 100mm rimmed fattie would be when our trails get tracked out by hikers in deep snow. Where we ride some of the lower trails will get pretty heavy foot traffic creating some pretty deep holes and seriously bumpy trails once the snow freezes over. It feels like your riding a boulder field at times. Then when you ride up to the higher elevation trails where less hikers travel you need the big tire and rim combo to even ride which at times is impossible until a few riders have tracked it out.
    The LPG