Flying Sasquatch

Framed Pub Hub hubs

So my Novatech rear is making noises already (kind of expected) so I'm probably looking at a new rear hub. From what I read the consensus is that the DT Swiss is the best option when considering reliability, maintenance, and strength. But the hub itself is $200+.
    And I saw that I can get a complete wheel from Framed with their PubHub hub on it for less than the DT Swiss hub by itself. Or even a complete front and rear wheel set with tires for the cost of a rear DT Swiss wheel.
    So my question is how durable are the Pub Hubs? The couple threads I did find on here seems to have favorable reviews, but I thought I'd ask for more people's opinions.

How much better would a DT Swiss Big Ride on a hand laced Mulefut be compared to a Framed Pro-X factory wheel? Would it be worth 2.5x the money?

mtbr member
    I've been running a Pub Hub Rear Hub since December of 2014. I own a Framed Alaskan Alloy and Framed Alaskan Carbon. The Alloy has 190mm rear spacing and the Carbon has 197mm rear spacing. The hub can easily be converted between either 190 or 197mm end caps.

I've been told that my Pub Hub is a pre-production model, and I've been told that that production version are a bit quieter. I've got about 1200 miles of winter riding on the Pub Hub and it's been rock solid and haven't had a single issue.

I also love the sound of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dDFMZiNhYU

I heard that Framed encountered issues with a couple of hub earlier this year due to a manufacturing issue, but I've been informed that the issue has been resolved. So you shouldn't have any issues.

Framed has a great warranty and they stand behind the product they sell.

For the price of a rear wheel with the Pub Hub, I'm currently debating ordering a second rear wheel so that I don't have to convert my current rear hub depending on which bike I want to ride.

The only downfall is that the actual stock rim isn't as nice as Mulefut hoops, but if you can live with that, the actual hub has been great.
    Current bikes:
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2015 Framed Alaskan Alloy
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Also I have a set of Novatec hubs on my 29+ wheelset that I run on my Alaskan Alloy and they snap, crack and pop all the time.

Framed Pub Hub hubs-1888734_10156353177165416_1497555861163109535_n.jpg

Here's the freehub design of the Pub Hubs. They have a wicked engagement.
    Framed Pub Hub hubs-12670239_10156503516105416_8519508126167152745_n.jpg
    Current bikes:
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

Flying Sasquatch
    Would you consider these hubs "Clydesdale approved"?

Flying Sasquatch
    So I've been running this rear wheel for a while now, and I love the hub. The rim though, not that impressed with it. I literally can't get a tire to sear properly without taking 30 minutes of messing around, soapy water, and lots of curse words. I wish I could just buy the hub by itself.

Flying Sasquatch
    Update: 4 of the 6 pawls tore out of the freehub after about 12 rides. I guess its not clyde approved..
    As you can see from the post above, I was pretty happy until it blew up.

mtbr member
    My hub broke on my 1st snow ride. Thankfully, the-House was quick to warranty me a new one. I'm 255lbs and average 12-16 miles a week and the bike was 9months old.

Back in NH
    Jan 2005
    Well here is my experience.
    Started with the Quanta hubs on my 3.0
    11 months and Ladder Rack failed destroying pawls and FH body
    Replaced by framed with updated Quanta Hub. 5 weeks sheared off pawls.
    Framed was great and facilitated an upgrade to the Pub Hubs just in time for snow.
    Riding primarily clean dry groomed snow. Inner FH bearing has not lasted more than five weeks of riding 4 times a week. Had to replace three times this winter season. Inner bearing is failing catastrophically leaving shrapnel and balls floating in the FH. Seems fine and smooth until it explodes and allows the FH to wobble on the outer bearing causing shifting to go to hell. I have been able to catch it early before any real damage to the pawls occurs. Have delegated this bike to snow only.

220lbs. Experienced rider. Bearings are not being contaminated by mud/water etc. Clean conditions in our region during winter. Running quick release 190. Definitely some flex and movement leading to the bearing explosion. Perhaps a through axle would provide some added support to the inner axle??

Engagement is awesome but dependability has not been a strength for me.

mtbr member
    I just completed my third winter on my original Pub Hubs. I've got just over 2700miles on them and I haven't had any issues as of yet. Having said that, I'm only 150lbs but I've put them through some pretty harsh and cold conditions and they haven't missed a beat.
    Current bikes:
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by chode View Post
    My hub broke on my 1st snow ride. Thankfully, the-House was quick to warranty me a new one. I'm 255lbs and average 12-16 miles a week and the bike was 9months old.
    edit: ^^^is this possibly due to low temperature and wrong lube? If the grease stiffens up the ratchet pawls will not engage properly. That is a sucky end to a fatbike hub IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WesternMD View Post
    Well here is my experience.
    Started with the Quanta hubs on my 3.0
    11 months and Ladder Rack failed destroying pawls and FH body
    Replaced by framed with updated Quanta Hub. 5 weeks sheared off pawls.
    Framed was great and facilitated an upgrade to the Pub Hubs just in time for snow.
    Riding primarily clean dry groomed snow. Inner FH bearing has not lasted more than five weeks of riding 4 times a week. Had to replace three times this winter season. Inner bearing is failing catastrophically leaving shrapnel and balls floating in the FH. Seems fine and smooth until it explodes and allows the FH to wobble on the outer bearing causing shifting to go to hell. I have been able to catch it early before any real damage to the pawls occurs. Have delegated this bike to snow only.

220lbs. Experienced rider. Bearings are not being contaminated by mud/water etc. Clean conditions in our region during winter. Running quick release 190. Definitely some flex and movement leading to the bearing explosion. Perhaps a through axle would provide some added support to the inner axle??

Engagement is awesome but dependability has not been a strength for me.
    I can't believe I was just going to post a question about the Pub Hubs and presto! here are my answers!

I had wondered if anyone took one apart because mine engage really well and feel great. But I too am leery of such low-priced components (I have gotten what I've paid for in the past, both on the + side and the - side).

So, for my first answer (since I have not disassembled mine), the construction looks really good and strong.
    My 2nd question was how long they've lasted. Apparently, not so good for you big guys (sorry to hear).

BUT, that brought up another question: What year are your hubs? I just bought mine. I'm dreaming that they are somehow better than "older" ones. Of course, I weigh ~190# and I spin much more than I mash, but I have attacked some very steep climbs and the rear felt rock solid. I mean, first impression so far is stellar.

Thanks!

-F

PS - I really appreciate you guys following up on your initial posts. Very useful info! Thank you!
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Flying Sasquatch
    I bought mine in October of 2016

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    I bought mine in October of 2016
    Dang. Got mine around Christmas. Prob'ly very much the same.

Thanks,
    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Back in NH
    Jan 2005
    Pub Hubs came shortly after the second Quanta failed on Global Fat Bike Day 2015. So mid-December 2015.

They look very well made. However I think the flaw is in the length of the axle/hub width. Everything rides on one axle with spacers to keep things in place. It is all sandwiched from the ends. This leaves the hub assembly with two rigid sections. One being the hub body/bearings and the second being the freehub body and the two closely spaced bearings. This focuses the flex movement to the junction between the two. Marks are clearly seen on the FH assembly where it is flexing and allowing the areas between the pawls to contact the ladder rack during the flex from landing/bumps/and driveline torque. Perhaps a stiffer axle assembly would help? Perhaps built in machined spacers on the axle would limit the flex/movement? I am seeing the same bearing destroyed each time. The tubular spacer that separates the two bearings within the FH is showing some deformation and mushrooming on the ends occurring during axle flex.

The great news is that the engagement/pawls have been great and had only needed a couple of springs replaced.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    My Alaskan came with Pub Hubs in Nov '16, shelled out the FH within 30 miles. I weigh 170 and have never wrecked a hub.
    That said, a friend towed me down the gravel road back to the trailhead (Thanks, Eddie!) and The House were easy with a warranty against the difference for an upgrade to the Big Ride carbons. I'm a little soured on the Pub Hubs, but I hope this thread recedes into the past.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    interesting thread.

i have a carbon marquette with pubhubs. i havent experience any problems on mine. i probably have around 500-600 miles on them. they dont see any kind of moisture. im 195lbs sans gear.

Guzzi, ive ridden lebannon hills all the way through many many times. been to battle creek as well. i think both of those trails offer about as much climbing as youre gonna get for around here. ive not have any problems. i generally stay in the middle of the 10-42 cassette and use the bail out gear for about 1-2 places on the trail. even on the log pile on the hill on the last black at leb, im usually in the 3rd cog down from the 42t.

im strongly debating the pub carbon wheelset. i cant bring myself to grab a set with the dt350s with 18 poe, not even at 54 poe do they hold a candle to the pubhub's poe. i really need it for this bike because the bb is so low.

i wonder if its just asking too much from the pubhubs when used on fatbikes.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I figure if they work, they work, and if they're going to fail it won't take long.
    The ratchet system on the DT's is a 100% engagement, whether 18, 36, or 54 teeth. No pawl system touches that.
    That said, I went with SRAM 900 on my Spec Fuse when I built wheels. Well-priced cartridge hub with the same pawl system as the XO. One circuit of Leb so far, and up and over the logs with (relative) ease.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    i understand the engagement system on the dt hubs. theyre strong reliable, no denying that. however, at 18 poe, thats a lot of dead space.

the marquette's bb is exactly 300mm from the ground, measured fromt the bb centerline. i have to replace my pedals because ive torn out numerous pins getting used to the low bb. ive even caught a pedal when pedaling around a corner. it took a while to get used to it coming from a trek frame where i had more bb height. going over the rock gardens at leb takes a concerted ratcheting effort from the cranks. the poe is an issue for me.

upgrading the dt hub is deff possible but its too much for what you get imo. plus, even at 54 poe, you still get 6.6 degrees of engagement vs 3 with the puhubs. i need that finer engagement because a. i suck at riding and need a crutch to help me ratchet through tech sections and b. i need the engagement to keep from destroying pedals and crank arms.

lastly, good job on the last hill/log climb. im about a 50/50 on the first time through each time on that log pile. you really need some decent speed up the hill and i have to keep my pedals level when going over or i get stuck on a pedal. i do it again if i mess up.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Oh, THAT log pile. I've never had the steam to hit it, didn't even have a chance to try before work on Monday. I'll try tomorrow.
    I did dig a pedal on the option- trying to push the lean and forgot myself.
    The 18t- if strong- is too loose, I swap a 54 between wheels on the Alaskan.
    I went with the 900's for price, weight, and lack of complaints. If you see a Fuse with carbon wheels and a Ritchey bar, give a yell!

Ben.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    edit: ^^^is this possibly due to low temperature and wrong lube? If the grease stiffens up the ratchet pawls will not engage properly. That is a sucky end to a fatbike hub IMO.

I can't believe I was just going to post a question about the Pub Hubs and presto! here are my answers!

I had wondered if anyone took one apart because mine engage really well and feel great. But I too am leery of such low-priced components (I have gotten what I've paid for in the past, both on the + side and the - side).

So, for my first answer (since I have not disassembled mine), the construction looks really good and strong.
    My 2nd question was how long they've lasted. Apparently, not so good for you big guys (sorry to hear).

BUT, that brought up another question: What year are your hubs? I just bought mine. I'm dreaming that they are somehow better than "older" ones. Of course, I weigh ~190# and I spin much more than I mash, but I have attacked some very steep climbs and the rear felt rock solid. I mean, first impression so far is stellar.

Thanks!

-F

PS - I really appreciate you guys following up on your initial posts. Very useful info! Thank you!
    I'm sorry for responding so late. I just broke my rear hub on this mornings ride and almost in the exact location. Thankfully, I picked up a 2nd rear wheel (same type) so all is good until I explore a different options. The only thing that is unique this go around was that my shop swapped out my derailer from an X5 to a G4 SRAM last week ,but shifting was butter smooth so I don't think that's the cause. Personally, I think my fat ass (255lbs) is the culprit.