mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Framed Minnesota Makeover

Framed Minnesota Makeover-img_0707.jpg
    Although Iíve enjoyed my Framed Minnesota 3.0, after a couple of years I decided to make some upgrades.
    First, I went 1X (total cost $419). Because the bikeís wheels came with a Shimano free hub, I needed to buy a fat bike kit with a compatible cogset. Eagle doesnít make one, and I wanted to go Eagle, so I asked the good folks at Worldwide Cyclery and they suggested a package they sell that included a Sram GX Eagle 12-Speed Group w/ Shifter, Derailleur, Chain & SunRace 50t Cassette ($290). I also bought a RaceFace Aeffect Fatbike Crankset 30T 175mm w/BB on eBay ($129).
    Going 1X was well worth the effort and cost, and what I bolted on works beautifully. Lighter, cleaner looking, simpler, all the reasons you hear to go 1X I would second here.
    Next,
    I went tubeless ($423). To do this, I had to replace the framed wheels with Mulefats. The Framed wheels will not hold a tire without a tube. Framed told me this. So I bought a pair of Sun Mulefut 80 SL 26" Fat Bike Wheels ($360). I kept the Dee Bulldozer tires, still newish, so no reason not to use them. I also kept the Shimano free hub. The 78mm Sun Rim Tape, Valve Stems, Orange Sealant, and RIM STRIP SUN TUBELESS 26x60mm rounded out the job ($63).
    Youtube has a few videos on doing this using the materials I bought that fully explain how to pull it off. I immediately noticed the difference on my first ride. You can really feel an absence of rolling weight. Bike feels lighter, plan and simple, without the tubes.
    I also took some weight off the bike by replacing the aluminum fork with an Alaskan carbon fork from Framed.($200)
    So, $1042 to go 1x, tubeless, and lighten the bike. Worth it? Since I enjoyed doing it, the results have been palpable, and I only spent $1000 on the bike originally, I would say yes. I could have bought a comparable bike 2 years ago for $2000, but I didnít want to spend that much then to dip my toes into fatbiking.
    After 2 years of riding in the snow in the winter (Wyoming Rocky Mtns) and using it to pull my Wike golf cart on the course (thatís what the bracket on the stem is for), I wanted some upgrades. I use the bike often all year round; that justifies the expense for me. I wasnít going to drop over 2 grand on my first fat bike to and find I never rode it.
    Itís hardly the bike I started with, but I had a blast giving it a makeoveróa thousand dollar blast admittedly, but a blast nonetheless.
    Donít hesitate to study, prepare, and try some upgrades on your bike. Youíll learn a lot and notice the improvements, and that is satisfying.

Oh, I also added Canecreek bare end handles. These really help add variety for gripping when climbing up a canyon road on a snowmobile trail.
    Framed Minnesota Makeover-img_0709.jpg

turtles make me hot
    Nice work. Makes perfect sense what you did.

I'm waiting to wear out the 2x10 drivetrain on my fattie so I can make the leap to GX Eagle.
    I like turtles

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Sort of did the same with my 2.0, new paint, 1x10 (30x11-42), SLX brakes, X5 cranks, RF NW ring. Very few parts remain original and have been thinking on replacing the OE wheels with Mulefuts but the blue rims look so good that may keep them regardless of the weight and performance.

Gave it to my son to beat up and he's doing a good job.

Framed Minnesota Makeover-36550643_10156375355960502_7775726268623880192_o.jpg

Framed Minnesota Makeover-36479529_10156375353885502_4977769265298931712_n.jpg

Framed Minnesota Makeover-36579016_10156375353575502_6915430412130975744_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice. My son has a Framed Minnesota 2.2. Heís 6í 5Ē and 230 lbs and throws that thing around on the trails like it was the BMX bike he rode when he was a kid. It has been a durable frame for sure. He hits the jumps, drops, and rock gardens full-on, and even pulls my 4 year-old granddaughter on the blue-level trails riding behind on a tag-along...that frame just does great (looks like you do some pulling yourself). We did upgrade the front fork to a Bluto and switched out the mechanical brakes to a set of SRAM Level TLís. Only mishap has been a drive-train problem that was either a chain break that tore off the front derailleur or a front derailleur break that broke the chain. We struggled with upgrading the transmission at that time but I found a replacement front derailleur for cheap so just went that way so he could ride while he contemplates 1x11 vs 1x12. I was always skeptical of tubeless conversion, but I finally did convert the Mulefut 80/Hodags on my Farley EX8 to tubeless and like you noticed a profound night/day difference, especially riding the trails in the snow. The drive train on that EX8 is an 11 speed GX. It works great for me, but Iím old and donít have anywhere near the quadriceps I once had, so a GX Eagle is very intriguing to me.

Nice work though. Sounds like a very well thought-out set of upgrades.

Last edited by Cuyuna; 1 Week Ago at 07:12 AM.