Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wildskycomet View Post
    I didn't think the fatboy had wider stays. Thought they were 170 hubs? Ordered 3 for 190 hub thinking that would help make difference. Is fatboy rim 90 0r 100? Is that what allows Lou? 3's are 80's, no? Does that make a difference w/tire and clearance?
    The Fatboys I saw at my LBS seemed to have pretty wide chainstays. The shop employee told me that they would fit up to 5” wide tires. Any extra clearance would be appreciated running 4.8” tires on these super fat bikes, especially accounting for wheel flex.
    Also, I would think the wider the rim, the less the tire will bulge. I too was wondering if a wider rim would help with tire rub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    So what would you run in back to get similar grip, but no rub.
    For snow riding I don’t think there is an equivalent tire to the Lou for grip and propulsion. It is amazing!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I didn't think the fatboy had wider stays. Thought they were 170 hubs? Ordered 3 for 190 hub thinking that would help make difference. Is fatboy rim 90 0r 100? Is that what allows Lou? 3's are 80's, no? Does that make a difference w/tire and clearance?
    Fatboy is a 190mm hub with a 90mm rim. The narrower 80mm rim would make the tire slightly taller, but not sure if that would be enough to cause rubbing. The Lou is a big volume tire and larger than the Dillinger 5 in terms of casing size and width. If the Lou is a tight fit, the D5 may fit, but I'd want to try at a dealer before I spent $250 on a tire.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindsai View Post
    I have the 20” size frame.
    What size frame do you normally ride? I usually ride a 19 or 20, but based on the ETT of these frames I should be on a 22.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    What size frame do you normally ride? I usually ride a 19 or 20, but based on the ETT of these frames I should be on a 22.
    I normally ride an XL frame on my Santa Cruz bikes. I am 6’ 2” with long arms so I like a long top tube, paired with a short stem. However, the stand over height on the 22” wouldn’t work for me since I only have a 32” inseam. Unless you have very long legs, a 22” bike will not have enough clearance for the boys, especially in deeper snow. To get the right reach, I used a “longer” 60mm stem and put the seat pretty far back on the rails. The smaller bike feels surprisingly nimble but I would trade that for a longer top tube any day.

horseman
    Sep 2005
    yah think? To revisit... Lou could work w/side knob shaving? Or, "we" have to start considering best tire for "blank" condition for each bike? Yeah, Lou's are best for snow, but not for 3's? (still haven't received mine yet... tracking # not working, so all speculative at best)

horseman
    Sep 2005
    If rim width has that effect (narrower is taller) wouldn't that work better for 3? Sacrifice spread/squat width (few mm's) to fit in frame w/out rub?

horseman
    Sep 2005
    nates?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    yah think? To revisit... Lou could work w/side knob shaving? Or, "we" have to start considering best tire for "blank" condition for each bike? Yeah, Lou's are best for snow, but not for 3's? (still haven't received mine yet... tracking # not working, so all speculative at best)
    I wish there was a better answer than sanding down the side knobs on the Lou or running a smaller tire like the Nate. For what’s it worth, I didn’t have to do that much sanding to make it work but YMMV. My worry is bending the rim and having to walk my bike out of the woods since the clearance is so tight. Like I said, I don’t know if a wider, 90mm or 100mm rim would help with the tire shape. I will try to post a picture of the stay clearances tonight so others can speculate.

I bought this bike to specifically run a Bud and Lou so I am pretty disappointed that Framed drop the ball with this design flaw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I wish there was a better answer than sanding down the side knobs on the Lou or running a smaller tire like the Nate. For what’s it worth, I didn’t have to do that much sanding to make it work but YMMV. My worry is bending the rim and having to walk my bike out of the woods since the clearance is so tight. Like I said, I don’t know if a wider, 90mm or 100mm rim would help with the tire shape. I will try to post a picture of the stay clearances tonight so others can speculate.

I bought this bike to specifically run a Bud and Lou so I am pretty disappointed that Framed drop the ball with this design flaw.
    Other potential downside is that over time your Lou tire will likely stretch slightly making it a few mm bigger, which could cause clearance issues all over again.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Other potential downside is that over time your Lou tire will likely stretch slightly making it a few mm bigger, which could cause clearance issues all over again.
    Dang, I didn't know that. This might be an ongoing source of frustration. Good thing I have lots of sand paper... *bangs head*

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Here is a pic of the tire clearance with the Lou. The red arrows mark where it rubbed the chainstay.
    Framed Minnesota 3.0 with Bluto Fork & Rigid Fork-lou-3.0.jpg

mtbr member
    Wonder if a snowshoe 4.7 or nate is the best option from here
    2014 Singular Gryphon
    2013 C-Dale F29 Alloy 2, CAAD10 105
    2005 Jamis Dakar XC Expert
    2014 Framed Minn. 3.0 Bluto

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    with mud, snow, ice build up.. I would say sell the Lou and buy a Nate...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    Wonder if a snowshoe 4.7 or nate is the best option from here
    I also like the looks for the Specialized Ground Control 4.6". They are pretty beefy and would probably make good snow tires.

mtbr member
    I also like the looks for the Specialized Ground Control 4.6". They are pretty beefy and would probably make good snow tires.
    My buddy is picking up his 2015 Fatboy today and will hit snow soon. I'll keep you posted.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    My drive side crank pedal broke out of the crank arm threads about 4 miles into my first ride. Maybe I should have had it professionally installed, LOL. It felt like they just snapped on a small climb. I instantly felt the pedal alignment being off. Doesn't look like Framed/The-house is going to be of any help on this issue. The crank does appear to be the lowest spec and overweight part on the bike. Suggestions for fixing it? New crank or threaded insert?Race face Turbine or SRAM X5? Will the external bearing BB of these aftermarket cranks fit?

horseman
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rcracer2 View Post
    My drive side crank pedal broke out of the crank arm threads about 4 miles into my first ride. Maybe I should have had it professionally installed, LOL. It felt like they just snapped on a small climb. I instantly felt the pedal alignment being off. Doesn't look like Framed/The-house is going to be of any help on this issue. The crank does appear to be the lowest spec and overweight part on the bike. Suggestions for fixing it? New crank or threaded insert?Race face Turbine or SRAM X5? Will the external bearing BB of these aftermarket cranks fit?
    still waiting... not very inspiring. Poor threads? Bad pedal?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    still waiting... not very inspiring. Poor threads? Bad pedal?
    I would say bad threads but the material doesn't look to be that great, which is why the upgrade is likely for me to get the higher grade 6061, 6066 or 7075 material.

I just wanted to post here so others can take note to be aware in case it is a bigger quality issue, and to make sure they have their pedals professionally installed.

horseman
    Sep 2005
    Capt OCD here... all this conjecture to keep anxiety at bey while I wait still... living vicariously thru all of you... Remember I said they were shipping bike 11/24? Tracking number not working? Someone at House just said, "oh sorry, didn't get put on truck". Wicked pissed!!! Ignore the rant... hoping for no quality issues... not planning on ordering a Bud (tho that was a reason that bike was selected... take a good expensive tire and sand it down?)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    where did you order your 3.0 from?
    got it from the-house.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was quite excited to make it back home from work after UPS delivered the bike. Soon after getting home I started unpacking and putting it together.

First impression, not so good, I expected higher quality parts. I know, its a $1000 bike and the part are mostly all listed but I guess I'm used to much higher end stuff.

The good

Looks great, I like the finish of the frame
    Low price

The bad

Brakes are junk at least comparing to my XT They just do not work well at all, you have to really press on the levers to stop quick. Very little stopping power. Lots of noise but need to brake them in I guess. I tried aligning the calipers to minimize noise when the wheel turns but can't get it right. I think the rotors are not straight. Need more time on that but for sure I will get at least SLX brakes.

Rims, the front rim is not very well joined where cut. I expected not to even see the connection. The wheels need truing as the are quite off.

Shifting is not the greatest. I need to adjust the cable tension as the chain jumps over some chain rings. I'm used to my XT/XTR setup and this feels very low end. Not sure if I will be doing any upgrades at least for now.

Crank / BB - again low end stuff

Pedals - they added free set which was very nice of them, I like the look but a little thick comparing to my 11mm platforms. The spinning is very bad on them.

Seat, its ok based on short riding but will be changing to another one I have around.

Reflectors - what? why did they put that stuff on?

Overall I like the bike and need to spend some time on it before I can say anything about handling but I expected the parts to feel a bit higher end but then again its not a $6k bike

Framed Minnesota 3.0 with Bluto Fork & Rigid Fork-20141202_181404_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Update on the rear tire: I went ahead a bought a Ground Control tire for the rear and I am really happy with it. It has plenty of clearance and great traction. I will save the Lou for deeper snow conditions.

I too had shifting troubles initially with the stock X7 drivetrain, even after making sure everything was adjusted properly. Strangely, after I got a few rides in it works pretty well now. The brakes work fine but I made sure to do a proper burn-in before I took it on the trail for the first time. Still, I would still greatly prefer SLX components to the X7.

horseman
    Sep 2005
    Still waiting... "Forgot" to put on truck after charging me. Sent it this week and tracking finally, but after saying bikes just in(?!). So much for World Fat Day! Supposed to arrive Tuesday. Sounds like they're shipping w/32's in rear. Was hoping w/36 might not have to consider mods like wolfs tooth or chainrings. Sounds like they're saying TS. We can change specs(?!). Note new ones on site now. Different than 9/4 when ordered

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Still waiting... "Forgot" to put on truck after charging me. Sent it this week and tracking finally, but after saying bikes just in(?!). So much for World Fat Day! Supposed to arrive Tuesday. Sounds like they're shipping w/32's in rear. Was hoping w/36 might not have to consider mods like wolfs tooth or chainrings. Sounds like they're saying TS. We can change specs(?!). Note new ones on site now. Different than 9/4 when ordered
    Crap. This is supposed to be my kid's holiday present. We stayed away from the 2.0 with 9 speed harwdware specifically because of the 11-36 capability. A cassette is still cheaper than half of the drivetrain, but this is getting annoying. My kid just doesn't have the legs to ride a fat bike in the winter without gears.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks for confirming that, I thought it was supposed to be a 36t.

mtbr member
    Any confirmation on widest tire on rear?
    2014 Singular Gryphon

mtbr member
    I managed to fit a Shimano XT to the front. The mounting post seems to be not quite correct, and I ended up having to space the rotor out from the hub with a single set of washers to get everything to align correctly.

Are there any potential problems with doing this?
    Aussie in Chicagoland (what's all this white stuff?)

horseman
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rcracer2 View Post
    Thanks for confirming that, I thought it was supposed to be a 36t.
    specs of "early" models on page 1 of this thread

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoB View Post
    I managed to fit a Shimano XT to the front. The mounting post seems to be not quite correct, and I ended up having to space the rotor out from the hub with a single set of washers to get everything to align correctly.

Are there any potential problems with doing this?
    I don't see why, as long as it aligns ok then you should be fine. My XT brake set and rotors are on the way. I could test with my XT set from my other bike but I will wait

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Re: Framed Minnesota 3.0 with Bluto Fork & Rigid Fork

Can't wait to try it out tonight! Just in time for tomorrow.

djrez4
    Here is a pic of the tire clearance with the Lou. The red arrows mark where it rubbed the chainstay.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lou with 3.0.jpg 
Views:	1111 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	943376
    Is that square taper?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by djrez4 View Post
    Is that square taper?
    Yes it is.

The amount of flex coming from the crank arms is unnerving since I am a clyde. Does anyone know of a better, stiffer crankset that will work with the 3.0?

mtbr member
    I was talking with a tech about switching out the cranks last week and he suggested the FSA COMET
    FSA Comet Fat Bike 100mm - BB Standard - FSA

horseman
    Sep 2005
    BFD... Another person gets their new bike... Mr Whiner Cranky Pants got his 3 finally. Tracking was working but said delivered(?!), as I stood in driveway knowing ups hadn't been by yet (I'm on regular route, so they wave to me on tractor on way by). Moments later they pulled in. Way better looking than photos! Really should trim off a lot of that cable housing length, but couldn't wait to get in snow w/lights. Hadn't thought I'd need to cut down Bluto, so not on yet. Previous questions re:shock involved bearing races. No one mentioned trimming steerer tube to length. Will take it to shop buddies v basement workshop. Comes w/32 rear. That'll have to change for this girlie man. What're folks changing chainrings to? Forgot way earlier posts. 22/36? Comes 28/38. Maybe just try a 24 to start?

mtbr member
    Much to my irritation, my steer tube was cut at the factory. I'm 6'3" and wish I had a taller handlebar set up
    2014 Singular Gryphon

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    I was talking with a tech about switching out the cranks last week and he suggested the FSA COMET
    FSA Comet Fat Bike 100mm - BB Standard - FSA
    I thought with the new 190mm rear hub, we need more of a 120mm BB?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Also, hello.

First fatbike. Future upgrades are a 1x10, new brakes, and a couple new forks.

So far having a blast on this thing:

Back in NH
    Jan 2005
    Picking up my 3.0 today. Been riding a 2.0 demo for a while and have really enjoyed the new Framed 4.0 tires at low pressure. I am a little concerned about giving up snow float and traction with the narrow tread width on the H-Billie tires?? 2.0 was set up with a 22/32/38 up front and an 11-34 in rear. Stock is way to high in any amount of snow with hills. My 3.0 has a 22/32 up front and an 11-36 in rear now.

Thoughts on the tires?

Most importantly: What did you do to get off the white logo???

looks great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternMD View Post
    Picking up my 3.0 today. Been riding a 2.0 demo for a while and have really enjoyed the new Framed 4.0 tires at low pressure. I am a little concerned about giving up snow float and traction with the narrow tread width on the H-Billie tires?? 2.0 was set up with a 22/32/38 up front and an 11-34 in rear. Stock is way to high in any amount of snow with hills. My 3.0 has a 22/32 up front and an 11-36 in rear now.

Thoughts on the tires?

Most importantly: What did you do to get off the white logo???

looks great.
    I think the H-Billies are wider then the Framed tires. Sidewall says they are 4.25.

I have about 20 miles on her so far, and I am still experimenting with tire pressure. I find the 10psi in front eliminates the self steer, and 7-8psi in the rear give me all the traction I need. I have been riding the same trail as I do in the summer, and was able to clear everything, so I am happy! I'm pretty happy with the tires. But we haven't had hardpack deep snow here yet. We are getting a snow storm now, so this weekend I can test more!

As far as the Branding... I just used black matte vinyl. It blends perfectly to the matte frame. Can't even tell the vinyl is on there. I kinda thought the "Framed" graphics felt a little dated (I'm a designer by trade)...
    Beargrease
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    RSD Sergeant
    RSD Catalyst dirt road bike
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

Back in NH
    Jan 2005
    Thanks
    Tires are about the same casing volume but the tread is a full 100mm on the Framed tires and only 86mm wide on the H-Billies. I have been running low pressure and using the entire tread width in the snow.

I was planning on the using vinyl as well and considered making traditional "panels" with gloss black to cover it up or even just coloring over the white with a charcoal grey automotive paint pen to make it much more subtle.

I was hoping that you had found the guts to try acetone or ammonia to remove just the white without damaging the black paint. It is all under the clear on the gloss frames.

mtbr member
    32T? WTF?!? That's false advertising. I still have a catalog that says 36T

Back in NH
    Jan 2005
    yup. After all the waiting and delays you still don't get what you ordered....

mtbr member
    I have a 16" 3.0XL on order from a shop. I'm going to kindly request that they honor the catalog specs. and switch out the freewheel for a 36T one. If it comes with a 32T. If they won't I may have to bag Framed all together and go with the Fatboy I've been eying.

Back in NH
    Jan 2005
    I ordered through my LBS as well and they gladly swapped out the rings and cassette for me as an even trade. I try to support my local LBS and they have stepped up to support me on this bike. We had discussed the chainrings prior to ordering but the cassette was unplanned. We are also working on how to swap my son's Mini-Sota over to a 22/32 if it ever arrives.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    I thought with the new 190mm rear hub, we need more of a 120mm BB?
    It appears that Framed designed the 3.0 to use the standard 100mm BB. I like the looks of the FSA Comet crankset that ADKMTNBIKER mentioned. Also the SRAM X.5 GXP crankset got good reviews for stiffness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just got a Motobecane Boris X9 Bluto. I'd like to trade the Bluto (brand new take off) for a Framed Alaskan carbon fork. It looks to be one of the only 150mm hub spaced carbon forks. Send me a message if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The Framed Alaskan's use a 100mm suspension corrected Bluto...your Motobecane came with a 120mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That is true. However, someone may still be interested because the 20mm (.78") changes the geometry how they prefer, or because it can be easily reduced. The bluto's are all the same fork, just different spacers and tokens for different travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    have the Framed MInnesota 3.0 bikes that have already arrived, come with a Type 2 RD?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast