Thread: Fox 34

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Fox 34

I had a Whiskey carbon 70mm rim built-up on a I-9 110 mm hub for my Fox 34 boost fork. It looks like there is plenty of clearance around the tire.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Awesome! I hope people post more pictures of this fork with fat tires! Keep this thread going.

mtbr member
    JJ 4.0" correct?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yes Jumbo Jim 4.0

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Likin Bikin, Mikesee and Walt have been posting pics and using this fork for years.
    It fits just about any 26x4, 27.5x3.8 and 29+ fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Fits and "fits well", that's what I question. Even Mikesee admits that it's tight.

For mud I like to have a 1/2 inch on all sides, those pics look closer to 1/4".

Fox makes a good fork, would love to see them redo the casting for 3-3.5" tires.

As it is we now have the Mastodon, which is also great fork for fat with room to spare, but it's kinda overkill width wise for 4" tires.

Seems like there's a market for a 4" minus fork...

mtbr member
    It would nice if RS made a fat pike.

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    It would nice if RS made a fat pike.
    I think they're feeling the pressure, especially with the Mastodon. I wouldn't be surprised if RS is going to be upping their fat game soon.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If I was RS, I'd make a long travel fork (120mm -150mm) that would work for 27.5 x 3.8 and 29+, these are the growth sizes; kill two birds with one stone. Make it a Pike and all they need is a new crown casting.

I've ran 5" tires with a suspension forks, it's mostly a winter gig so performance is generally poor unless it's spring time. Suspension and 5" tires is of questionable value, but since the Mastodon has that size covered in spades and the Bluto is serviceable, a fat minus fork would be killer esp if it was travel adjust.

Not holding my breath, got two Mastodons now.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    I think they're feeling the pressure, especially with the Mastodon. I wouldn't be surprised if RS is going to be upping their fat game soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Nice, I think anyone building a new boost fork should consider space for plus size tires. It's an extra chunk of market for what appears to be minimal cost other than the design phase.
    Having a choice of forks that can manage up to 4.0 trail fatty tires would be awesome. Budget level, quality XC or stout long travel.
    I wonder if Fox did it on purpose with the 34, or they stumbled on it by accident?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    I wonder if Fox did it on purpose with the 34, or they stumbled on it by accident?
    Ha, that's a question I've also asked myself. Would be interesting to know.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    If I was RS, I'd make a long travel fork (120mm -150mm) that would work for 27.5 x 3.8 and 29+, these are the growth sizes; kill two birds with one stone. Make it a Pike and all they need is a new crown casting.

I've ran 5" tires with a suspension forks, it's mostly a winter gig so performance is generally poor unless it's spring time. Suspension and 5" tires is of questionable value, but since the Mastodon has that size covered in spades and the Bluto is serviceable, a fat minus fork would be killer esp if it was travel adjust.
    Fully agreed.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

Living the thug life.
    I have been searching all over, can't find an example of a 27.5" fat on this fork except for Mike running it on a 50mm rim. I am specifically trying to find proof if it will work with an 80mm rim for a customer. I myself have been running a 26" fat with this fork for over a year.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri View Post
    I have been searching all over, can't find an example of a 27.5" fat on this fork except for Mike running it on a 50mm rim. I am specifically trying to find proof if it will work with an 80mm rim for a customer. I myself have been running a 26" fat with this fork for over a year.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
    I ran a 26 Hodag on a 65mm Nextie rim....had about 4mm's of clearance between the tire's sidewall bulge to next to the seals(narrowist part of the fork).
    When I went to a 27.5 50mm rim...it moved the bulge up and away from the tightest point on the fork and gave it a lot more clearance....about 10mm from memory.
    I no longer have the fork and couldn't find any photos. Maybe Mikesee will chime in( or email him)...I'm sure he's tried lots of wheels

This place needs an enema

Can anyone help? Thanks.

I never tried wider than a 65mm rim, and that was with the 27.5 Hodag which is known to be undersized. It had plenty of clearance to ride, but I wouldn't say lots of clearance for mud.

Living the thug life.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I never tried wider than a 65mm rim, and that was with the 27.5 Hodag which is known to be undersized. It had plenty of clearance to ride, but I wouldn't say lots of clearance for mud.
    In your professional opinion, same tire on an 80mm rim work? Based on my measurements it would. Customer has a Wampa carbon rim, wants an improved fork over the Bluto. Or is the Manitou option a much better option than the Bluto?
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    In your professional opinion, same tire on an 80mm rim work? Based on my measurements it would. Customer has a Wampa carbon rim, wants an improved fork over the Bluto. Or is the Manitou option a much better option than the Bluto?
    Flattery will get you everywhere....lol.
    Depending on the tire....I would be the Hodag would fit. The only place it was tight was by the seal casting....which is rarely an issue.
    BUT....the Mastodon works as good....and maybe better....than the Fox. The only drawback is it's a 3/4 lb heavier than the Fox....and there is a fitment issue on some frames ( compression knob hits).
    Pros are is it super smooth, stiff, adjustable and can fit any tire on the market right now.

This place needs an enema

It'd be too tight for my tastes.

Mastodon is better in every way than Bluto. Whole different league.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Between this thread and another similar one from 2015 (Fox 34 27.5+), I'm still only about 90% confident that my 27.5x3.8 Minion FBF on a 65mm rim will fit inside a Fox 34.

Is anyone able to confirm that? I like the confidence that "It fits just about any 26x4, 27.5x3.8 and 29+ fine. " Just wondering if someone can say for certain?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So I gotta weigh in here, not because I know something more than "the pro" (Mikesee) but because I am confused about why people insist on running wider rims then necessary for the fat minus tires (Hodag and Minion 3.8).

Seriously, if you're contemplating the Fox 34, then you are clearly not going to run "real" 4" tires, so why do you need a rim wider than 50mm?

If you run a 50mm rim, the Hodag and Minion 3.8 will fit fine.

Another benefit to runing a 50mm rim is reduced weight. I run a Duroc 50 with Minion 3.8 and it is the bomb!

[QUOTE=Thaumaturge;13325528]Between this thread and another similar one from 2015 ([url]http://forums.mtbr.com/fat

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    So I gotta weigh in here, not because I know something more than "the pro" (Mikesee) but because I am confused about why people insist on running wider rims then necessary for the fat minus tires (Hodag and Minion 3.8).

Seriously, if you're contemplating the Fox 34, then you are clearly not going to run "real" 4" tires, so why do you need a rim wider than 50mm?
    In my case, the Mulefut 65SL came stock on a complete build (RM Suzi Q -70). I don't have a lot to compare it to, having only briefly owned a 26x5” fat bike, but I love the way they roll and feel on the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Oops - I missed part of your post. Great to have confirmation that the 50mm rim will work. Thanks!

I could see some 50mm carbon rims being an upgrade down the road, but for right now a suspension fork is higher priority.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've got a set of new Duroc 50 x 27.5, misordered, NIB. PM if interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Okay, thinking about it myself, but what about a Mattoc? Is the clearance similar to the Fox, more or less? Mattoc can go to 160mm...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I guess you know about the 29+ Pike which has been on the market for over a year now, right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    I guess you know about the 29+ Pike which has been on the market for over a year now, right?
    And if you happen to know the maximum tire it will accommodate and on which rims, feel free to post it.
    Last edited by Thaumaturge; 09-12-2017 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    In a ideal world I would be able to see a couple pics of a Minion 3.8 or a Hodag 3.8 on a 50mm rim fit to all the forks that can realistically run that tire size in all conditions...

Does the Pike 29+ really fit a 3.8? Does not look like it.

The Fox Plus fits based on pics and valid reports.

Manitou?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Last edited by VitaliT; 09-25-2017 at 11:47 AM.