65mm rim, Floater tire
    Fox 34 27.5+-f341.jpg
    Name:  f342.jpg
Views: 3339
Size:  13.7 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    WHA???

Help me out here and forgive the stupid question. Is this a new fork? How wide is a "Floater" tire?

aka bOb
    Thanks, hadn't seen the frontal pic Looks like 65mm rims with floaters? I believe this could be a good viable option.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    WHA???

Help me out here and forgive the stupid question. Is this a new fork? How wide is a "Floater" tire?
    27.5 plus fork new a few months ago with 110mm hub spacing and the Floater is a true 4" tire I believe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    WHA???

It's a new fork for 27.5+ wheels and tires, boost spacing. Looks like it'll fit a 4.0 on a 65mm rim without trouble.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks guys.

All fat, all the time.
    Looks like the 27.5+ is taking off nicely.

This place needs an enema
    Details.

That ^ link is no longer valid for this (now discontinued) fork.
    Last edited by mikesee; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:43 PM.

All fat, all the time.
    That 15mm bolt on thru axle is pretty cool too.

mtbr member
    Fox, just make a Fatty Fork already!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    This page has some more details: Explore 34 Bike Forks | FOX
    It states that max tire size is 3.25". Fox's marketing (and website) is confusing. I haven't been able to find what the difference is (if any) between what they were calling the Float 34 and the "Factory" forks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Come on FOX just a few more cm's in the hips would bring all the boys to your yard!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Likin bikin is showing a fork, maybe it's this one, running whiskey 9 with vanhelgas

140mm on travel

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...53146116813091

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    So close, yet so far.

mtbr member
    This fork has the wheels turning in my head. What about setting up the front end of a fat bike like the Surly Wednesday with the Fox 34+ fork and 27.5 x 3 tire on a 45mm rim up front? Pair it with a 26 x 3.8 or 4.0 out back on a 65mm rim.

With this combo you could get the majority of float from the back and more precise steering up front... It may even work better than 26x3.8 on packed snow.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    This fork has the wheels turning in my head. What about setting up the front end of a fat bike like the Surly Wednesday with the Fox 34+ fork and 27.5 x 3 tire on a 45mm rim up front? Pair it with a 26 x 3.8 or 4.0 out back on a 65mm rim.

With this combo you could get the majority of float from the back and more precise steering up front... It may even work better than 26x3.8 on packed snow.

nuff said!!

Is dang happy!
    I wonder if the 2016 Rockshox Pike 27.5+ can pull that off?
    The Bluto is just too noodley! 2017 is a long time to wait for a Fat Pike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post

nuff said!!
    I was thinking one of the larger 27.5+ tires like the Bridger...but yeah, nuff said.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

This is why I put a 2015 Lefty on my Pugsley. It will be great as a "firm snow" bike. It is wide enough to run a B+ tire up front and whatever I want for the rear. Love the idea of a Wednesday and the Fox fork.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The fact it will fit a 4" tire on a 65mm rim is sweet - I'd pick one up if I could make my I9 135/142 front hub work with the new boost front standard. Just got it laced up to a LB carbon rim. Maybe someone out there could make some adapters. Without having done any measurements, I'm doubting that it would work without at least some re-dishing of the wheel. I also wonder if the Manitou + forks would have similar clearance?

mtbr member

That's almost what I have with a Marzocchi Bomber, custom arch, 50mm rim and 3.8 Nates, front and rear (rear is on 65mm rim). And yes, it rocks!

This new Fox fork would make it that much better, more travel, lighter wheel and tire and probably stiffer front end.

I wonder if the same can be done with a Fox 34 29er fork. I know the 27.5+ conversion guys are doing it, just not sure of the max rim/tire width combo. Would also like to know the A-C differences of these 2 setups.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgVT View Post
    I also wonder if the Manitou + forks would have similar clearance?
    Fox claims 3.25" tire clearance for 27.5+.
    Manitou claims 3.4" tire clearance for 27.5+.

Both have 34mm stanchions. Manitou is a bit cheaper with potentially better clearance.

I can't find any tire clearance claims for any Rockshox forks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Does anyone have dimensions for all the plus forks, i.e axle to bridge and leg to leg width at the narrowest (at the seals).

I need to fit a tandem and a bike that share wheels 26 x 4, 27.5+, 29+. It looks like the Float 34 plus would fit, still a little close, but a floater on a 65mm rim is what I have.

What's the widest "theoretical" width for a fork running a boost hub spacing?

I'm getting tired of waiting for a fat fork, I'm really tired of riding a Bluto, and I'm not willing (yet) to shell out the effort and cash to ride a DH boat anchor fork.

I no longer believe we're going to get a burly fat fork. Simply put, plus forks appear to fit typical 4" tires, so a fat suspension fork is only necessary for 4"+ tires and those folks are not the ones clamoring for a suspension fork.

As to the Wren, it's a relatively unknown fork (unless it's the same form as the fork of many names), it's questionable whether it'll be available with a significant travel (>120mm), and without having ridden one I am loath to throw $900 at one when I can buy a Float 34 27.5+ fork at the same price.

So, is this the best we're gonna get for "crossover" segment?

mtbr member
    A quote from the FB page about the fork on the Mutz "1.5T 51mm Rake AM (not kidding)"

Is this good or bad?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    The distance between the legs of this fork is 4.3" which allows the use of a 26/4" wheel/tire combination. I also suspect that for 27.5", the max tire width is a lot more than the 'recommended' 3.25"... 3.5" will definitely fit and I suspect 3.8" might too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    And here is the picture of my setup (80mm rim, Fox 27.5+, Bontrager Hodag 26/3.8"):

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    if only the 36 could do this...

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.