addicted to chunk

Found the limits of the Hudu's yesterday!

I normally ride mostly dirt. Our winters are usually frozen but not huge amounts of snow.
    I pretty much ride zero mud.

Yesterday was the 9th annual Brown County Breakdown here in Indiana. We've had months of great dry weather. Dusty trails, ride every day almost if you wanted to.

Yesterday it rained...all day....

We started our ride early and got through the park before the rain started too badly. Then we spent the better part of the day out in the Yellowwood forest. Mis of hiking, horse, doubletrack trails that are only available for the event.

Mud everywhere. Slick slimy mud. I dropped pressure a bit which helped, but the Hudu's just didn't have the bite I needed.

One of the local bike shops that were providing support at one of the sags had a Pugs with Nates....I was really wishing I had a set for the conditions. Or of course if my frame could fit the bud/lou, that would have been ideal.

We ended up calling it quits after 77 miles. We had planned for 100 (like I did last year) but the mud just slowed us down too much.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    How sticky was the mud?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    How sticky was the mud?
    Luckily not very. The stuff that got on the bike easily fell off throughout the ride, couple times & wipes it off with a stick but really not needed.

Mostly just sloppy/soupy/slick.

Clearance was no issues, just needed more/deeper lugs on the tires.

Today I will be re-greasing everything that has a bearing in it, & putting on some new shifter housings/cables. Found the limits of the Hudu's yesterday!-img_20130929_105951_216.jpg

Kinda felt like a kid again rompin' through the mud all day.

....reminds me....I really need to go deal with the bag of wet muddy riding clothes downstairs....
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Even worse if the mud is sticky, you're better off walking than to try peddling with 40lbs of mud caked to your wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What did you drop your pressure a bit to?

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    What did you drop your pressure a bit to?
    I'm normally around 9 - 10psi for trail riding. I don't use a gauge anymore but probably down to about 6 - 7 for the mud. Couldn't go too low there were still lots of rocks & roots & log hops around .
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Happened to me earlier this year in a fatbike race when the temps warmed up and the trail got muddy. I had a ball of mud form between the rear HuDu and the seat tube. Stopped me cold. I had to grab a stick and dig that mud ball out to get going again. Hu Du's and mud don't mix. Mud puddles in dryer conditions are OK, but clay-based mud forget it. I carry and extra Larry in the car since. I use the Husker Du's all year round, but do not typically ride when things get that muddy.

addicted to chunk
    I don't ride in mud either usually.

Just finished going through the bike. New shifter cables and housings, serviced both hubs (pretty clean inside), bottom bracket bearings are toast. Serviced the lefty, clean inside as well luckily. Headset is iffy, regreased and better than before. Chain and cassette probably life reduced. Rear hanger bent. And a busted pedal! Damn!
    Riding.....

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post

....reminds me....I really need to go deal with the bag of wet muddy riding clothes downstairs....
    Eeww.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06