mtbr member
    Dec 2010

fog/frost on glasses

Hey all,
    My final Kryptonite for winter riding is still my glasses fogging/frosting up. I was out this morning in Chicago area (0 degrees....- 17F with wind chill) and the started fogging up and eventually frosted over. I had to turn back after only about 20 min out. No fun.

I've tried various things. The lens supposedly have Sports RX's anti-fog coating and I have also used the Anti-fogging agent they supplied with the glasses (applied yesterday). I've also used special wipes, sutff for diving masks...not if it has worked....

What do you guys use that has worked? I know the primary source of fogging is when I put the Balaklava over my mouth..but today , it was just too cold not to do that...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've been using this. Works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Jaws-Quick-Ant...asses+anti+fog

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    scuba stores have stuff too....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Are you putting your goggles over the balaclava seam? If so you are most likely funneling warm, moist air directly up into your goggles.

Make sure that your balaclava / goggle interface is not overlapping, they need to butted up against each other. this is critical.

Perhaps you should try a neoprene mask cut to match the shape of your goggles, so the butt-joint is clean, no exposed skin and no chimney effect allowing all your exhaled breath to foul your goggles. Also when you overlap, you can inadvertently create a small opening near your temples, which allows cold air / blown snow into the goggles. This is also a guaranteed fog culprit.

good luck

mtbr member
    When it gets this cold (high of 0 today in Minneapolis), it's tough. The anti-fog formulas will help, but probably only to a certain extent. I rode yesterday in similar temps and wound up stashing my glasses into a pocket 45 min's into the ride. If you wear a balaclava, I recommend that you cut out a hole for your mouth if the thing didn't come with one. That's the best thing you can do. Without that, glasses will fog up in almost no-time because the moisture goes straight up.

The other thing is to try to keep moving. It was only when I stopped to take a picture in a couple of instances that I was causing myself problems yesterday.
    There is a season, turn, turn, turn
    And a time for every wheel to turn through it

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are neoprene face masks with moldable tops that fit tight over the nose so air does not go up into your glasses. They also have an extra flap to further direct the exhaust air away from your face. I got mine at a snowmobile shop. They work way better than nothing. Not the most stylish looking though.

google: no fog mask, that should get you to several. I use the face mask only one not the full balaclava.
    Latitude 61

Jammin' Econo
    If you're exhaling into a balaclava or neck gaiter that's covering your mouth, you're going to produce condensation and some of that is going to travel up and out the only place it can, which is into your glasses. No way around that, that I know of, except a snorkel.

I either use a balaclava with a little larger opening that doesn't cover my mouth and just suck it up, or a neck gaiter in combination with one of those fleece ear warmer bands pulled down to cover my nose, but keep my mouth uncovered.
    "I've been mt biking for 25 years and I don't plan on ever getting a MOPED"
    - Mt Biker E

mtbr member
    I never was able to wear glasses during winter activities, whether cycling, skating, skiing or snowshoeing. My glasses always fog up at some point, and it's a huge irritant.

I read somewhere on the forums that some people use a product called "Cat Crap" on their lenses. No idea whether it works as advertised or not.

The only thing that has worked for me: contact lenses.

vmk
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I melted some heating wire on my prescription glasses frames that I use with skiing goggles (double layered). It's working pretty good, but they start to fog up too if used below -25degC + heavy riding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqTY-ukC93E

Now running it with about 5W continuous power, but working on adjustable power trough wireless remote that already controls my lights. I might try to add a little fans too that could be used when needed.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Today I tried wearing ski goggles over my prescription glasses for the first time. 8 degrees F, not much wind chill to speak of. I kept getting a little fogging on both the goggles and a glasses. I wasn't wearing a balaclava OT neck gaiter so not sure what was causing the fogging. Could it just have been from a poor seal of the goggles against my face?