Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Foes Mutz

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    I ran dunder flow last year on whiskeys - no issues

Probably should have just stuck with it - but drank the plus cool aid

Thanks for the feedback
    Yeaahh I forgot, I used them on my 90mm without any issue. It is the same casing as the Dillinger 5.......it will probably also be good in summer use also.....

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    ... just read this whole thread. i want a mutz now in the worst way

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    now that the fatbike bubble has burst, when can i get a Mutz cheap?!?

mtbr member
    Didn't have a winter that required dunder/powderflow. Been using vanhelga's since i got he bike (1y+).

Sent from my SM-T905 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ah, you must be talkin about those other fatbikeS.

The Mutz is still in a league of it's own... and worth way more than its admission price!

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    anyone else have love for the Mutz?!?

they look awesome. i hope to build mine soon. i am loving the green...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I still ride mine and love it... riding and traveling too much to be online writing about it...

mtbr member
    I love mine too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foes Mutz-img_1307.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    I love mine too.
    Love my mutz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    the mutz looks awesome. after the ride i had last night, i really need some squish... i gotta get my mits on one and make sure i like it before i plunk $3k down on a frame...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I thought you had plenty of built in squish? Need a motor to get it up the hills?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Jekyl View Post
    the mutz looks awesome. after the ride i had last night, i really need some squish... i gotta get my mits on one and make sure i like it before i plunk $3k down on a frame...
    Its ridiculously fun. I absolutely love mine. I don't ride my carbon Intense Tracer much anymore.

Get one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Jekyl View Post
    anyone else have love for the Mutz?!?

they look awesome. i hope to build mine soon. i am loving the green...
    That's gonna look so good with a big black Wren fork on it

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Man, I'm so jealous of these sweet bikes.
    I reckon this is the pinnacle of mountain bikes, but so hard to justify the cost when I can buy a small motorcycle instead.
    Sigh, someday.
    Oh well, I shall live vicariously through you guys.
    Totem KDS-D fatbike, Brompton M2L-X Ti, 6kg Dahon Dove, 1998 GT Forte Ti road bike

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi,

More than a year i ride mine, i absolutely like it a lot much more than other previous bikes i've owned

Just put a CCDB instead of the initial DBInline with wich i've had a lot of problems......

The only complain is the bluto.
    I'll certainly put a wren in the front, hope it'll have less flex/better damping than the rock shox and that will match the rear end of the bike.....

This is my only bike, my do-it-all bike, i ride it during all 4 seasons. A beast that can climb anything if you've got the leg then bomb downhill or take technical decents with ease and lot of comfort.

Love my Foes Mutz

Steve, from France

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pit View Post
    Hi,

More than a year i ride mine, i absolutely like it a lot much more than other previous bikes i've owned

Just put a CCDB instead of the initial DBInline with wich i've had a lot of problems......

The only complain is the bluto.
    I'll certainly put a wren in the front, hope it'll have less flex/better damping than the rock shox and that will match the rear end of the bike.....

This is my only bike, my do-it-all bike, i ride it during all 4 seasons. A beast that can climb anything if you've got the leg then bomb downhill or take technical decents with ease and lot of comfort.

Love my Foes Mutz

Steve, from France
    You won’t regret getting a wren fork, I ran a Bluto for a couple of weeks when I first got my mutz. I felt the Bluto was the weak link on my bike, the rear suspension would handle pretty much anything I could dish out. I am around 230, old and don’t do the big jumps, but do a lot of aggressive trail riding rocks and roots. After putting a wren fork on my mutz I feel this bike just gets better the harder you push it. I have the fox shock on the rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttakata73 View Post
    Man, I'm so jealous of these sweet bikes.
    I reckon this is the pinnacle of mountain bikes, but so hard to justify the cost when I can buy a small motorcycle instead.
    Sigh, someday.
    Oh well, I shall live vicariously through you guys.
    My brother rides motorcycles.

I tell him how far I've ridden some days, how many vertical feet of climbing, and he just looks at me in awe.

It's worth the work.

Get a fatbike!
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Ok here's my little FSFB story in short.

I've made the big jump 2 weeks ago and ordered a Foes Mutz.

After riding my Scott Big Ed this summer I saw the real potential of fatbikes. I didn't even use my Bronson that much since I was having more fun on the fatbike. Previously, I had only used the fatbike in snow in winter and must say that fatbikes are highly underestimated for summer trail riding. However, after a summer of riding the fatbike, I realized that the Big Ed was taking a beating from my aggressive trail riding. I was regularly bottoming out the 100mm Bluto (even at proper psi) and felt the rear wheel wasn't gonna last much longer. So I decided that maybe a full sus fatty might be better suited for me.

So... a lot of folks are probably gonna think I'm crazy for doing this but I sold my Bronson and Big Ed to fund the Mutz purchase! Therefore, I will go from 2 bikes to a single beast. I honestly think I made the right choice since the Bronson just gathered dust in the garage this summer.

After reading this thread I also picked the Wren 150mm instead of the flexy Bluto (which I felt on the Big Ed as well). Also, a pleasant surprise as Foes didn't have any Cane Creek shocks left and they asked if I would prefer a DVO Topaz 150mm instead! Would I?! :P

And so, as winter is fast approaching, I'm now worried about the cold weather reliability of those suspensions. Does anyone have any input on those, particularly the Topaz since it's gonna be the one doing most of the work with pedalling and all. Btw I live in Quebec where the winters are pretty harsh although I don't particularly fancy riding in temps lower than -15C.

Thanks

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    You won’t regret getting a wren fork, I ran a Bluto for a couple of weeks when I first got my mutz. I felt the Bluto was the weak link on my bike, the rear suspension would handle pretty much anything I could dish out. I am around 230, old and don’t do the big jumps, but do a lot of aggressive trail riding rocks and roots. After putting a wren fork on my mutz I feel this bike just gets better the harder you push it. I have the fox shock on the rear.
    It seems that the 150 mm travel Wren was produced to fit the Mutz first.....that's what Xavier Lassalle from Crazy Bear Bikes said to me a few weeks ago.....

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    found this pic in another thread, my the raw finish looks so utilitarian. awesome...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It seems that the 150 mm travel Wren was produced to fit the Mutz first.....that's what Xavier Lassalle from Crazy Bear Bikes said to me a few weeks ago.....
    Agreed, like a glove. I am glad I ran the bluto for a little while it made me not doubt me purchase.

mtbr member
    I got in some snow. This was taken about 8 miles back in at 6500 ft. 17 mile ride on the Mutz yesterday and two KOMs on some DH sections. The Muts is faster than my AM bike... when no pedaling is involved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foes Mutz-sb.jpg  

Foes Mutz-sb3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Have been using my Mutz with 27.5 50mm rims with 3" tires from Schwalbe all summer and autumn. Also put on a DHX2 coil shock. Together with the Wren 150mm fork it is so good. Did a couple of drop and jumps today and what a plush bike. I have had some other FS and it cannot compare. And then you can just switch over to 26" wheels with 4.6"/4.8" tires when the snow comes. I would have loved to tried 27.5" with 3.8" tires from Maxxis, the Minions, before getting the widest fat bike tires on for the deep snow.

Chris Bling
    Quick question guys, is the 71 degree seat tube angle listed the actual STA or the effective?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have a Wren 150mm fork up front and measured my STA at 70 degrees.

mtbr member
    Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum and I will start with this thread as I'm currently building my Mutz. Actually I'm almost finished, just waiting to get the XX1 Derailleur, which is the last part missing. Once done I will post some pictures from beautiful Switzerland
    OK and I also have some questions:
    1) is anyone out there with an Eagle group on his Mutz?
    2) has anyone fitted Maxxis Minion's on his Mutz? Do they actually fit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    In the Foes forum there is a tire fitment thread, maybe some pictures in there.

When my tires wear out I plan to put on a set of Minions 4.0.

mtbr member
    Ive run 5" Dillingers on mine. Van Helgas and 4.0 Minions work just fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I have 4.8 Minions for summer and Dillinger 5s for winter. Both have chain clearance issues on the "granny" gear (large cog). Chain lightly rubs on the side knobs of the rear tires when climbing on the large cog. It doesn't really bother me but it's not ideal. Btw all advice are welcome, but I really don't wanna buy another crank and bb has already 1 spacer on the drive side and I doubt a 2nd spacer is recommended.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgeracer View Post
    I have 4.8 Minions for summer and Dillinger 5s for winter. Both have chain clearance issues on the "granny" gear (large cog). Chain lightly rubs on the side knobs of the rear tires when climbing on the large cog. It doesn't really bother me but it's not ideal. Btw all advice are welcome, but I really don't wanna buy another crank and bb has already 1 spacer on the drive side and I doubt a 2nd spacer is recommended.
    Flip the chainring or buy an offset wolftooth model.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Flip the chainring or buy an offset wolftooth model.
    I should have added... I run the wolftooth chainring with no problems with 5" Dillingers. I think the wolftooth is 4mm more offset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    What's that wolf tooth chainring model called? Or could someone post a pic? Thx

mtbr member
    What's that wolf tooth chainring model called? Or could someone post a pic? Thx
    I think all Wolftooth chainrings are 6mm offset for sram

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've just ordered a Wren in 150mm....can't wait to put her in front of my Mutz

Steve, from France

mtbr member
    Hey thanks for all your replies! Somehow the notification does not work for me, so I never knew there were any...

Anyhow, here are some pictures of my Mutz.

Foes Mutz-img_4341.jpgFoes Mutz-img_4342.jpgFoes Mutz-img_4344.jpg
    Foes Mutz-img_4343.jpg

Currently I'm running the 4.0 Schwalbe Jumbo Jim's I still had lying around and I might stay with 4.0 width for the clearances sake. Minions will be the next ones I fit. The 4.0 are more expensive than the 4.8. It's a strange world...

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice !!!

mtbr member
    That's baller.
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    Here is what I have done to add clearance for a Lou mounted on a Marge Lite fitted into a Carver ti O'beast. Running a 1 x 11 with shimano XT cassette. I placed a 9spd spacer on the freehub then mounted the Cassette without the 11T first cog. I used a 12T lockring to snug the cassette down. So far every thing is staying tight.

Foes Mutz-20161031_165242.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    We are using 4.4 Schwalbe JJ rear on the Mutz. They are studded with 250-300 Best Grip studs. They are light and rolling better then every other tires we have tested.

The other tire we have tested is the minions 27.5 x 3.8 on 50mm rims. Also with studs. That's a tire that can take rocks and hits, when the snow are melted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by calzonical View Post
    Here is what I have done to add clearance for a Lou mounted on a Marge Lite fitted into a Carver ti O'beast. Running a 1 x 11 with shimano XT cassette. I placed a 9spd spacer on the freehub then mounted the Cassette without the 11T first cog. I used a 12T lockring to snug the cassette down. So far every thing is staying tight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161031_165242.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	1112905

Brilliant. Well dun sir!!

alias chicken
    Last edited by matt45; 01-12-2017 at 12:34 AM.

alias chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfourch View Post
    Hey thanks for all your replies! Somehow the notification does not work for me, so I never knew there were any...

Anyhow, here are some pictures of my Mutz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4341.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	1112788

Currently I'm running the 4.0 Schwalbe Jumbo Jim's I still had lying around and I might stay with 4.0 width for the clearances sake. Minions will be the next ones I fit. The 4.0 are more expensive than the 4.8. It's a strange world...
    Salü
    Ich habe letzten Sommer die JJ 4" gefahren. Für Strasse und leichtes Gelände in Ordnung. Für richtig grobes Gelände haben die zu wenig Profil/Gripp und dünne Seitenwände...
    Hab mir nun für nächsten Sommer die Minion in 4" organisiert. Bin gespannt was die taugen! :-)
    Für den Winter hab ich die Colossus in 4.8", passen hinten knapp in den Rahmen...
    Grüsse aus der Innerschweiz!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt45 View Post
    Salü
    Ich habe letzten Sommer die JJ 4" gefahren. Für Strasse und leichtes Gelände in Ordnung. Für richtig grobes Gelände haben die zu wenig Profil/Gripp und dünne Seitenwände...
    Hab mir nun für nächsten Sommer die Minion in 4" organisiert. Bin gespannt was die taugen! :-)
    Für den Winter hab ich die Colossus in 4.8", passen hinten knapp in den Rahmen...
    Grüsse aus der Innerschweiz!
    Ja, diese Meinung teile ich. Ich bin letztes Jahr in Davos den Morning Flow Ride mit den JJ 4.8 gefahren... absoluter Fehlentscheid, der zu einer ausgekugelten Schulter geführt hat
    Den Dillinger 4" mit Spikes fahre ich auf meinem haibike Sduro
    Die JJ werde ich beim Mutz auch mit den Minions ersetzen.
    Fährst du die Colossus mit der Fox Gabel?

Sorry for going German on this Post

alias chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfourch View Post
    Ja, diese Meinung teile ich. Ich bin letztes Jahr in Davos den Morning Flow Ride mit den JJ 4.8 gefahren... absoluter Fehlentscheid, der zu einer ausgekugelten Schulter geführt hat
    Den Dillinger 4" mit Spikes fahre ich auf meinem haibike Sduro
    Die JJ werde ich beim Mutz auch mit den Minions ersetzen.
    Fährst du die Colossus mit der Fox Gabel?

Sorry for going German on this Post
    Im Winter hab ich ne Bluto mit Colossus 4.8 und im Sommer ne Fox 34 boost mit Minion 4". In die Fox passen max. 4" Pneu.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I like it! A lot of nice bikes. Dan Mutz just finished mine. New HampshireFoes Mutz-img_0384.jpg

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

A Mutz in Corsica Island

Still loving mine

Top quality frame

Fantastic bike (for me......)

I'm still waiting for my Wren........

Foes Mutz-mutz-bastia.jpg

Steve, from France

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by a63vette View Post
    +1 - anybody?
    Just mounted these on some Hugo 52mm rims and they fit perfectly.
    [URL=https://www.juststopandthink.com/david-nassar-religion-the-movie-religion-video/[/URL]

just a man
    Has anyone found a QR rear thru-axle with the right thread pitch and thread depth for a 2016 Mutz frame? I am emailing back and forth with Foes and this seems to be a difficult question for them to field so far. I'd like to not have to carry a tool to be able to remove the rear wheel if possible....
    [URL=https://www.juststopandthink.com/david-nassar-religion-the-movie-religion-video/[/URL]

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I have a DT Swiss 12X177mm. Works perfectly.

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a DT Swiss 12X177mm. Works perfectly.
    +1

just a man
    Oh good thx. Do you have a link to the exact one you bought? I know there are different thread pitches on these skewers.

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X View Post
    Oh good thx. Do you have a link to the exact one you bought? I know there are different thread pitches on these skewers.
    Mine came with the frame when i ordered it......

just a man
    Mine came with the frame when i ordered it......
    Couple questions:
    1)What year is your frame
    2)What is the length on the threads?

Thanks much. I'm going back and forth with Foes sales dept and they don't seem to be real confident that one exists for my 2016 frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X View Post
    Couple questions:
    1)What year is your frame
    2)What is the length on the threads?

Thanks much. I'm going back and forth with Foes sales dept and they don't seem to be real confident that one exists for my 2016 frame.
    Just checked, you can get them on Amazon.com. Just search DT Swiss skewer 12X177

just a man
    Just checked, you can get them on Amazon.com. Just search DT Swiss skewer 12X177
    Thx. I ordered one on eBay. The key was finding the right pitch (1.5) and thread length (15mm).

just a man

Good job! THIS did the trick

Foes Mutz-screen-shot-2017-03-20-9.41.49-am.jpg

Success!

mtbr member
    I got a 29er wheelset and Minions for my longer rides. The VanHelgas are a bit much for my 50-60 mile rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foes Mutz-img_6785%5B1%5D.jpg  

Foes Mutz-img_6793%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I'm needing to sell my Mutz, Please tell your friends
    Foes Mutz kit bike - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you guys saw on Facebook a new Mutz is on the way.... it looks like there will be a long travel and a short travel version.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I looked for more info, all I saw was a mention of 150mm travel.

I liked my Mutz, but it needs some tweaks before I'd buy another:

Shorter chainstays, 425-430
    Steeper seat tube angle, 75-76
    Head tube that's compatible with internal angleset
    Clearance for 29+ and 26 x 4.8

These are minor tweaks other than the chainstays, which might not work without a rework of the yoke.

Changing head tubes is easy, the larger head tube is already in use by the Mixxer.

Seat tube angle might require a bent tube, probably need to lengthen the top tube.

mtbr member
    Can anyone please confirm (Picture if possible) that a 27.5 x3.8 Maxxis or Hodag's will fit in the rear on 45 mm rims?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Can anyone please confirm (Picture if possible) that a 27.5 x3.8 Maxxis or Hodag's will fit in the rear on 45 mm rims?
    It'll fit, probably 3/8-1/2" spacing, not ideal for mud I ran a 29 x 3 Dirt Wizard which just cleared with a big 1/8" to spare.

The Minion 27.5 x 3.8 is the same diameter as a Minion 26 x 4.8 which is a good inch shorter than a Minion 29 x 3.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JCHKeys View Post
    If you guys saw on Facebook a new Mutz is on the way.... it looks like there will be a long travel and a short travel version.
    Weird... Why the exclusive short travel version? Correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that the Mutz already has a short travel option by switching eyelet on the rear shock linkage and switching/adjusting front fork. Anyway I love my Mutz in 150mm with the Wren and Topaz shock. Wouldn't change anything. I need that 150 for the more aggressive summer riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Maybe the poster doesn't know the Mutz has two travel settings?

I prefer longer travel too, esp since I already have a hardtail fatty.

alias chicken

Mutz can fly!!

Road Gap in Finale Ligure
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foes Mutz-foto-14.05.17-14-22-51.jpg  

Foes Mutz-foto-14.05.17-15-01-49.jpg  

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    New mutz? Details? Same geo as before?

mtbr member
    I need to order a front derailer for the Mutz. I was looking at GX. Which one do I need to order?

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi,

High direct mount, top pull.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt45 View Post
    Road Gap in Finale Ligure
    Yeah man nice!!

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Tons of traction with a Mutz......

This was in a forest near Cahors, center of France. Hard and technical climb, nice terrain for a tractor like the Mutz...... but.......did something like this ever happen to someone ?

It's a Garbaruk Xtender 42-50 teeth.......I've just sent it back to my distributor in France.....

Foes Mutz-garbaruk-cassette-1.jpg

Foes Mutz-garbaruk-cassette-2.jpg

Foes Mutz-garbaruk-cassette-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Just built this Mutz up. Anyone else have a DVO Topaz shock on theirs?

Elitest thrill junkie
    This was in a forest near Cahors, center of France. Hard and technical climb, nice terrain for a tractor like the Mutz...... but.......did something like this ever happen to someone ?

It's a Garbaruk Xtender 42-50 teeth.......I've just sent it back to my distributor in France.....
    Probably not, that's a brand new product that's not widely used yet. Wonder if the fatbike drivetrain is at an angle that's outside of the spec, but it's also likely to not have the same level of R&D of SRAM or Shimano, so it's taking a chance IMO. I feel like I'm taking a chance with my Hope cassette too, but so far so good.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Probably not, that's a brand new product that's not widely used yet. Wonder if the fatbike drivetrain is at an angle that's outside of the spec, but it's also likely to not have the same level of R&D of SRAM or Shimano, so it's taking a chance IMO. I feel like I'm taking a chance with my Hope cassette too, but so far so good.
    I agree, that's a "young" company.....or i wasn't lucky on this climb .....perhaps the warranty service will send me a new one.....

I hope your hope cassette will work better than mine Jayem

Cheers

Steve

mtbr member
    Just curious. What are some average build weights?

mtbr member
    Mine came in at 32.5 with 27.5 x 3 tires and 34# with the 26 x 4.0s. That's with a Fox 34, Reverb Dropper and very heavy saddle.

All fat, all the time.
    Hah, awesome decals

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    Mine came in at 32.5 with 27.5 x 3 tires and 34# with the 26 x 4.0s. That's with a Fox 34, Reverb Dropper and very heavy saddle.
    How do you like it with the plus tires? I've had mine like that since new haven't tried anything else yet. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a63vette View Post
    How do you like it with the plus tires? I've had mine like that since new haven't tried anything else yet. Thanks

One of the reasons I'll always have a fat full squish is because of the versatility. I love the bike with the 27.5+ set up. Definitely can corner and climb faster.
    The fat set up is just plain fun. Nothing better when you just want to smile and goof around on a local loop. Fat holds an edge in comfort for strait line bombing roots and rocks. When my hands, elbows and shoulders hurt, I run full fat.
    I've tried the "big" fat tires and prefer the 3.8-4.0 for everything but loose snow. For that I'll break out the Farley.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks - appreciate the insight

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Really late answer, but Minions 3.8" will clear with good mud clearance on the Foes Mutz.

mtbr member
    What's your favorite tire on the Mutz? I've been riding the Van Helgas and really like them, but I wanna try something different... maybe a smaller and lighter 4.0.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    What's your favorite tire on the Mutz? I've been riding the Van Helgas and really like them, but I wanna try something different... maybe a smaller and lighter 4.0.
    My favourite fat tyre is depending on surface. Snow and Ice I use spiked Jumb Jim 4" or 4.4" rear and 4.8 or 4.4" front. Wet surface on roots and rocks I like Minions. I have only tried 4.8/26" and 3.8"/27.5". Would love to try Minions 4"/26"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Something in a 27.5 3"

I really like the WTB Trail Boss 3.0 when I was riding a Mutz, it never let me down.

I'm riding the Purgatory Grid now on a Fatillac, what a great tire, the Grid version fixes all the woes of the lighter weight Purgatory.

Seriously, you need some 27.5 rims to run the b fat tires like the Hodag and Minion.

In a 26 x 4" tire, the height to width ratio are limiting factors that can't be overcome by tread design.

Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Something in a 27.5 3"

I really like the WTB Trail Boss 3.0 when I was riding a Mutz, it never let me down.

I'm riding the Purgatory Grid now on a Fatillac, what a great tire, the Grid version fixes all the woes of the lighter weight Purgatory.

Seriously, you need some 27.5 rims to run the b fat tires like the Hodag and Minion.

In a 26 x 4" tire, the height to width ratio are limiting factors that can't be overcome by tread design.
    26 x 4" Maxxis Minion tire is actually lighter than the 27.5x 3.8" tire. I am not sure about the tire height limitation since I have never tried the 4", but I am running the 3.8" on a Nextie carbon rim with 45mm internal width. I am going to try the 4" on a Nextie with 85mm internal width so it is not quite right to compare.

Both the Purgatory Grid/Gripton (I own two myself, but have not used it much) and the WTB are incredible heavy tires in their size. I will buy a Trail Boss to see how it will ride though.

The best plus tire by far, is the Vee Tyre Crown Gem 3" with Synthesis walls. Weighs little, and the rubber compound and the knobs pattern (similar to Schwalbe N.Nic) are top notch. It is durable in tough terrain, but I have worned out almost 2 of them these season due to high milage. Low rolling resistant with lower center knobs, but grippy side knobs, and the soft rubber compound grips on wet surface.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Heavy tires are heavy for good reason, they are more robust, they take more abuse, and they tend to ride better when well designed.

I went through the whole light tire route, the result is poor performance and flats.

Take for example a Jumbo Jim, which is a great tire for it's weight, but it's not a heavy hitter when it comes to traction and performance.

I'd much rather ride a Minion or a Purgatory and pay the price for weight, then be spinning out or washing out as I ride, or worse yet, replacing failed tires.

There's no magic in tires, weight is just one factor to consider when choosing a tire.

The Purgatory Grid is twice the tire when compared to a Trail Boss, but only because it is better constructed. If the Trail Boss were updated to the same casing and compound as the Purgatory Grid, then they'd be on equal footing.

By memory, I believe the Trail Boss 3.0 is heavier (1100gm( than the Purgatory Grid (975gm).

Also keep in mind that we're riding fat full suspension bikes, so weight means a lot less... in other words, if I wanted a light full suspension fat bike, I certainly would not be riding a Mutz or a Fatillac!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish2010 View Post
    26 x 4" Maxxis Minion tire is actually lighter than the 27.5x 3.8" tire. I am not sure about the tire height limitation since I have never tried the 4", but I am running the 3.8" on a Nextie carbon rim with 45mm internal width. I am going to try the 4" on a Nextie with 85mm internal width so it is not quite right to compare.

Both the Purgatory Grid/Gripton (I own two myself, but have not used it much) and the WTB are incredible heavy tires in their size. I will buy a Trail Boss to see how it will ride though.

The best plus tire by far, is the Vee Tyre Crown Gem 3" with Synthesis walls. Weighs little, and the rubber compound and the knobs pattern (similar to Schwalbe N.Nic) are top notch. It is durable in tough terrain, but I have worned out almost 2 of them these season due to high milage. Low rolling resistant with lower center knobs, but grippy side knobs, and the soft rubber compound grips on wet surface.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yes and no, weight and performance does not only mean durability. It depends on more than weight. Side walls especially.

Purgatory Gripton is actually 1280 grams and Trail Boss in soft compound/ High Grip is 1470 grams. Minions in 3" is approx 1000grams?

I will not ever buy dry surface tires any more, they are designed for totally different climate than mine. It is not only scary but dangerous to use tires with 62 or harder compound where I am living.

Yes I rode the Nobby Nic a lot last year, and yes it was taking a lot of hits and it punctured alot. This year I have used the Vee Crown Gem with synthesis side walls (that I think does it really durable) and they rides better and have taken only on hit that I think was a spike shaped stone or something. Both tires are a bit under 1000 grams in 3".

I tried Maxxis in start of season and I like it (just one hit) and I have ridden minion 29er up front and I love it. Not as good rubber compound as Schwalbe and Vee tire.

Starting to test Purgatory now, and it seems good. Not sure about the Gripton compound yet, it is really soft and needs a bit more air pressure.

I use Schwalbe procore on all of my front wheels/tire combo. You can go lower in air pressure and still have a stiffer tire feel. It just holds the tire on the rim much better.
    On the rear I use Huck Norris rim protection, and this have saved me a lot of times when hitting hard in rock beds and on roots in high speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Heavy tires are heavy for good reason, they are more robust, they take more abuse, and they tend to ride better when well designed.

I went through the whole light tire route, the result is poor performance and flats.

Take for example a Jumbo Jim, which is a great tire for it's weight, but it's not a heavy hitter when it comes to traction and performance.

I'd much rather ride a Minion or a Purgatory and pay the price for weight, then be spinning out or washing out as I ride, or worse yet, replacing failed tires.

There's no magic in tires, weight is just one factor to consider when choosing a tire.

The Purgatory Grid is twice the tire when compared to a Trail Boss, but only because it is better constructed. If the Trail Boss were updated to the same casing and compound as the Purgatory Grid, then they'd be on equal footing.

By memory, I believe the Trail Boss 3.0 is heavier (1100gm( than the Purgatory Grid (975gm).

Also keep in mind that we're riding fat full suspension bikes, so weight means a lot less... in other words, if I wanted a light full suspension fat bike, I certainly would not be riding a Mutz or a Fatillac!

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried a 27.5 x3.0 Wrathchild?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456