Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Foes Mutz

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just take a mirror with you and look at your face after the test, your smile will be as big as the wheels size

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Pidassle View Post
    i have a test ride scheduled for tomorrow. my hope is that the bike will bring fat tire benefits to a trail/am/enduro platform. i am looking for the fat tire version of a go anywhere do anything bike. for those who have real world experience, is there anything that i should pay attention to on the ride?
    Just be sure to keep an open mind. I've come to find setup to be a pretty significant factor.

Mine can go from "good" to freakin' awesome with pressure changes alone. The nice thing as little changes can go a long way to making behave exactly how you want it to.

I've been riding mine about 13-14 hours a week since I built it and have made quite a few incremental changes here and there and now that it's working well and I've adapted my $8000, 18 speed internal gearbox, Nicolai Helius TB 29'er wunder-bike just sits in the garage. I suppose I'm keeping it to use when my shock needs servicing.

Enjoy it; and it's only money, they'll print more

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the encouragement and thanks to Likin Bikin for allowing me to test ride their demo. overall i really liked it, the bike is certainly a major upgrade over my hardtail fat bike. that said i was not blown away and feel that i would have a hard time keeping up the my normal riding group on the mutz. to be fair the cock pit felt cramped, i would have felt better with a longer stem. another factor was the demo loop was not very technical so the bike did not have a real chance to shine.

it is better for me to purchase a new bike at year end, so i plan on building up a summer wheelset for my current bike with the expectation that i will be getting a mutz at some point in the future.

thanks again for your input, i will keep an eye on this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bring a multitool and use it to adjust the cockpit, seat, etc, don't be shy. Pay attention to sizing, it rides big, so if you're between sizes you have to think about how youll use it.

Read up on adjusting the CC Inline, the factory setting is neutral, with slow speed rebound a bit to the negative (cushier).

Also bring a fork pump so you can mess with pressures,I run a lot less psi on the CC than on an RS.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Pidassle View Post
    i have a test ride scheduled for tomorrow. my hope is that the bike will bring fat tire benefits to a trail/am/enduro platform. i am looking for the fat tire version of a go anywhere do anything bike. for those who have real world experience, is there anything that i should pay attention to on the ride?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My Mutz

Medium frame w/Bluto fork
    Mix of XX1/XO1 w/twist shifters (28 T chainring)
    BB-7/FR-5 brakes w/180 rotors
    Hope hubs & DT Swiss BR 710 rims / Bontrager Hodag 26X3.8 tires
    Gravity Dropper seatpost
    Easton Haven 35 stem & carbon bars
    Cane Creek 40 headset

A bit over 34 pounds (Heavy Crank Bros platform pedals)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foes Mutz-mutz8.jpg  

Foes Mutz-mutz9.jpg  

Foes Mutz-mutz10.jpg  

Foes Mutz-mutz11.jpg  

Foes Mutz-mutz12.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Paid Spam: Mutz frame set + Bluto

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Foes Mutz-kimg1049_resized.jpg
    Foes Mutz-img_20150715_211640_resized.jpg
    Foes Mutz-kimg1050%7E2.jpg

#1 Medium in Red, 650 3.25"
    #2 Large in Green, 26 x 4.8

No pics yet from my new build (Large Red), we rode Xanadu yesterday, it was fun

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Change that seat post. Doesn't match the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    How tight of a fit are the 4.8s on the green Mutz? Thx

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    What rims are those from the 650+ / 3.25 tires?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CRWLN View Post
    How tight of a fit are the 4.8s on the green Mutz? Thx
    Bulldozer 4.8's, kinda tight IMHO, but I was just the builder. There was a 1/4+ to the stays and bridges, 1/8" to the chain. I think if the rider gets going fast in the largest cog he could break his chain on the tire. I spaced the cranks over as far as reasonable and trued the rim a bit toward the non drive side.

Personally, on a bike of this caliber, I'd run 26 x 4" with studs in the winter. An FS fatty is not about floatation, it's about going fast, traction, jumping, climbing. If you want mega float, get a CF hardtail and run the fattest tires you can get.

What rims are those from the 650+ / 3.25 tires?
    WTB Scrapers i45 with Vee Rubber Trax Fatty 3.25

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
    Here is my Mutz with the Trixxy fork. As you can see, it has taken me 7 years to figure out how to post pictures on here. Lol.

This is super hot. I love triple clamp forks. Haven't ever ridden one on an MTB tho. I guess these are heavier than the Bluto?

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Muuuuuuuutz !!!!!

Just finished mine

This week i'll go test it in Nice countryside; Then next week i'll bring my Mutz just near the French/Italian Alps

I' m so happy !!!!!!!

Foes Mutz-mutz-7.jpgFoes Mutz-mutz-5.jpgFoes Mutz-mutz-4.jpgFoes Mutz-mutz-8.jpgFoes Mutz-mutz-9.jpg

Steve, from Nice, France

the fat kid
    Has anyone seen a mutz setup 650b+ with a fox 34 150mm fork? I'm considering it for a dedicated mini fat, but probably can get away with doing that to a shaver.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just an stupid question: the factory set up is 5" rear travel or 5.5"?
    Mine came with the shock in the lower hole. I think that this is shorter travel. I am going to try an insane Manitou dorado 29" fork and Vanhelga combo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That triple clamp Risse Trixxy may look cool, but good luck getting one!

After eight weeks and numerous promises, I'm giving up on Risse.

Since they have stopped answering the phone, I'll have VISA sort it out.

Next?

Gawd help me if the Bluto is the best we can get. ..

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I answer my self: lower position 5". Upper position 5.5"

the fat kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Gawd help me if the Bluto is the best we can get. ..
    This is why I'm really interested in it for a dedicated 275+ xc shredder....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I did "finally" get ahold of Risse, so the fork should ship this week, fingers crossed!

I'd like to have two of these forks, but the delay, the weight, the old tech, I would prefer to have a Pike or something similar if only someone would produce it.

I've had biker buddies tell me it's not profitable, but with the number of Blutos being sold on fat bikes and the lack of alternatives to the Bluto, wouldn't it make sense to offer a higher end fork on a higher end bike?

Putting a Bluto on a Mutz is like putting a Reba on a Troy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    In 1 week I would have mounted the Manitou Dorado 29" on my Mutz. It looks crazy, but I just see one negative point: weight:2900gr
    You can choose the travel just limiting it while pressuring, and the Hodag and Vanhelga tires have enough clearance.
    But sure we all pray for a pike or 36 fox for Fatty use.

mtbr member

Where to purchase frame

This will be the next fatbike frame I will buildup this fall. Can anyone recommend the best place to purchase this frame from.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    This will be the next fatbike frame I will buildup this fall. Can anyone recommend the best place to purchase this frame from.
    Timberline Cycles in Colorado Springs sells quite a few Mutz frames. I think they sell more frames out of state than they do locally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRWLN View Post
    Timberline Cycles in Colorado Springs sells quite a few Mutz frames. I think they sell more frames out of state than they do locally.
    Thanks for the response. Bought a frame from them last Saturday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the response. Bought a frame from them last Saturday.
    No pics, then it didn't happen

What fork are you getting?

I have a fork on order from Risse, it's a Trixxy, spacers for a 15mm TA, I'm going to run it on the fat tandem first, then see about running it on the Mutz. I had lost hope that it was being built, but I finally spoke to someone last Friday and the only hold up is the spacers. Of course, I was told it would ship last week... no news is no news

I don't really hate the Bluto, it's taken some time to get it working well with the CCinline, but it does work okay. I'm not a little guy and I feel like the small bump compliance could be a whole lot better, as well I'd take a little more stiffness.

Bluto 120mm: Two tokens and 65psi is the sweet spot for me (200#), using 90-95% of travel, small hits are okay, still struggle with sticky stanchions...

CCinline: I think the factory Mutz CCinline settings are durn close for me. At 100psi I get about 25-30% sag, which keeps me at 90-95% travel usage. I added two clicks of HSR one or two clicks of LSR so the back end was more supple without compromising climbing. So far this seems to work on big hits (my big hits are likely smaller than your big hits, YMMV), but I may add a click for HSC if I start bottoming out on jumps; so far it's worked fine.

I am now running Specialized Purgatory 650 x 3", so much better than the Vee Rubber Trax Fatty, more traction, less autosteer, very neutral feeling tired, pretty much point and shoot. It was a little "weepy" the first week of riding, but after a long ride the other day it has very few squirt marks. The Purg has a much more square profile than the TF, the outside knobs actually grip and it's a fast tire.

Great bike, my favorite bike of all time!!

mtbr member
    It should arrrive this Friday. I will post pics for the non-believers. Working on my build part list. I have a lot of fatbike parts laying around I might use. I will be using the "NEW" Bluto. I have the "OLD" Bluto on my El Gordo and it is fine.

I will be lacing up the DT Swiss rims to I9 hubs. I already have the hubs from a previous bulid that I did not use (My wifes fatbike).

The tire will depend on what fits. I have most of them laying around so I will see what fits best Vs what ride quality suits me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Manitou Dorado on:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foes Mutz-dorado.jpg  

Foes Mutz-dorado6.jpg  

Foes Mutz-dorado5.jpg  

Foes Mutz-dorado11.jpg  

Foes Mutz-img_2669-1.jpg  

Foes Mutz-fullsizerender-4.jpg  

Foes Mutz-fullsizerender-5.jpg  

Foes Mutz-img_2671.jpg  

Foes Mutz-img_2670.jpg  

Foes Mutz-dorado9.jpg  

Foes Mutz-sdim1263.jpg  

Foes Mutz-sdim1271.jpg  

Foes Mutz-sdim1264.jpg  

Last edited by pplucena; 08-26-2015 at 06:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Big fork, what's the travel? Is it a 135mm spacing?

I'm still waiting for my Risse Trixy, it's closing in on three months...

I'll be calling them tomorrow, again, I'll wager a week or two of getting voice mail until I get a live person who will tell me it's shiiping on Monday...

I would not recommend Risse at this point, not sure what's up with them but they are clearly having problems.

I was going to call Visa last week and reverse the charge, but I finally got through to a live person who said it would ship Friday; note that this is thr fourth time I have been told this same thing.

If there was a better option for a 150 axle, that's not a Bluto, I'd buy it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    It is a Manitou Dorado 29" Down Hill fork. Axle is 20mmx110mm. Travel 175 mm but you can adjust it just shortening the fork while pressuring the chamber. The bike has change completely. It will stay there, even if a Pike or something similar for FAT is developed next years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just filed a complaint with VISA against Risse Racing for failure to deliver the Trixxy fork as promised.

Two months, four promises of delivery, numerous attempts to contact Risse by phone and email, and I never received a single contact explaining the delay.

So sad, the fork had promise, now I'm back to square one, looking at swapping out hubs to the boost standard

Caveat emptor

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Sorry about that, you seemed to have drank their coolaid for a bit, you almost had me convinced to get one...

I have been watching Eurobike like mad, hoping Rockshox or Fox would come to the table with one... hell even Marz, Magura, someone.... but nothing...

Though I am really interested in the Mutz, I am gaining interest in the 27.5+ and would love to see a Mutz like bike with the 148 rear and ready to accept a 3.25 tire...

mtbr member
    Foes Mutz-image.jpg
    It should arrrive this Friday. I will post pics for the non-believers. Working on my build part list. I have a lot of fatbike parts laying around I might use. I will be using the "NEW" Bluto. I have the "OLD" Bluto on my El Gordo and it is fine.

I will be lacing up the DT Swiss rims to I9 hubs. I already have the hubs from a previous bulid that I did not use (My wifes fatbike).

The tire will depend on what fits. I have most of them laying around so I will see what fits best Vs what ride quality suits me.
    The frame arrived today. Now I need to get together my parts build list.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Foes Mutz 4 inch Vee Mission & 2.8 inch Trailblazer

Foes Mutz-img_20150726_082350_edit.jpgFoes Mutz-img_20150726_090223_edit.jpgFoes Mutz-img_20150814_121253.jpgFoes Mutz-img_20150814_121425.jpgFoes Mutz-img_20150814_152721.jpg

Build:
    Foes Mutz Medium
    Chris King Headset
    RockShox Bluto 120mm
    RaceFace Next 35 20mm Rise Handlebar trimmed to 740mm
    RaceFace Atlas 35 50mm stem
    XTR M9000 with SRAM Rotor 180mm front/160mm rear
    XTR Di2 - Battery hidden in seat tube
    Nextie 90mm with Vee Mission 4
    and Nextie 50mm with WTB Trailblazer 2.8
    Hope Fatsno
    ODI Rogue
    KS LEV Integra Dropper
    WTB Pure V
    RaceFace Next SL 32t & BB

2 bikes for the price of 1

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That is what I am considering, using I9 with Whiskey rim and Stans Hugo 52 27.5. But not until the 140mm travel fat Pike is announced, hopefully at Interbike next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Foes Mutz-dsc_0235.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timppa H View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0235.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	1014932
    ^^^ Nice!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Do you have some insider info or is this just you dreaming?

I'd snap one up in a blink!

Quote Originally Posted by JCHKeys View Post
    That is what I am considering, using I9 with Whiskey rim and Stans Hugo 52 27.5. But not until the 140mm travel fat Pike is announced, hopefully at Interbike next week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If I didn't ride in the snow, I'd stay with 3" tires, but I'm all about one bike and swapping wheels... currently riding Purgatorys, great tread, no issues with casing wear or flatting.

The Foes Alpine Plus just came out, I think it's 27.5+, the pics I saw showed WTB Trailboss 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by JCHKeys View Post
    Sorry about that, you seemed to have drank their coolaid for a bit, you almost had me convinced to get one...

I have been watching Eurobike like mad, hoping Rockshox or Fox would come to the table with one... hell even Marz, Magura, someone.... but nothing...

Though I am really interested in the Mutz, I am gaining interest in the 27.5+ and would love to see a Mutz like bike with the 148 rear and ready to accept a 3.25 tire...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Here you got:

Foes Mutz-imgl2059-750x500.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Just ordered my Mutz frame today from Free-Ride, so need to get started on gathering parts.
    Anyone know if clearance OK for Clown Shoes with say 4.8" tyre? I'm probably not going to go that wide, but would like to know what the limit is.

the fat kid
    I have the Barbegazi 26◊4.7″ tire on an 80mm rim. I'm NOT a fan of huge wide rims. I think you need to have some contour to the tire instead of it looking like a quad/4wheeler. If that doesnt fit, maybe Foes could secretly not-so-secretly popping some 197mm rear triangles out O:-)
    I ride faster than I should.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's not helping...

Quote Originally Posted by pplucena View Post
    Here you got:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGL2059-750x500.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	1016510

mtbr member
    What's the largest tire you can fit on the Mutz?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for that gearhead. I'm currently riding a Fatboy with 4.6" tyres on 90mm rims and like the feel, so didn't wan't to go too much narrower.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bulldozer, it was tight to the stays and the chain.

Why would you want a super fat tire on an FS dat bike?

Trust me, a typical 4" tire with some good knobbies is what the Mutz was designed to run. You go too big and the bouncing will defeat the suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    What's the largest tire you can fit on the Mutz?

mtbr member

Trust me, a typical 4" tire with some good knobbies is what the Mutz was designed to run. You go too big and the bouncing will defeat the suspension.
    Because I have a set of almost new 5" Dillinger studs for riding on ice and in deep snow. I use to have a ti-Mukluk.

I have a set of 4" Van Helgas for summer already too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

I don't have access to a full suss Fat yet, but my experience of riding fat front suspension hasn't led me to conclude that a 5" tyre bounces significantly more than a 4" tyre and so defeats the suspension. Perhaps I'm just a clumsy and insensitive rider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Anybody recommend a good crank for the Mutz? I'm not looking to break the bank, but don't want to skimp either. Does the frame take a threaded or push-fit BB?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Because I have a set of almost new 5" Dillinger studs for riding on ice and in deep snow. I use to have a ti-Mukluk.

I have a set of 4" Van Helgas for summer already too.
    Having been using vanhelga's on my mutz with great satisfaction this summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brownmruk View Post
    Anybody recommend a good crank for the Mutz? I'm not looking to break the bank, but don't want to skimp either. Does the frame take a threaded or push-fit BB?
    It uses BSA fornthe BB. I use a RaceFace Turbine Cinch which I had moved over from my previous bike. Am using a BSA30 bottombracket from ROTOR.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast