Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Foes Mutz

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Nice - where did you get the green Bluto?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brownmruk View Post
    Nice - where did you get the green Bluto?
    Ebay

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Finally finished.

Finished building yesterday but only managed a 30 minute test run in the woods, in the dark without lights. Felt awesome though.
    Managed to get some torque settings from Free-Ride in case anyone else needs them:
    Swing link bolts: 12 ft lb
    Mech hanger 5-7 ft lb
    Main pivot 20 ft lb

Does anyone know the recommended torque for the rear axle?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foes Mutz-p1100184small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    ^^^^Really liking the Ground Controls on your Mutz. I had a Fatboy before diving into a Mutz, so I know the GCs work well. How's your clearance with them?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I've got 4 or 5mm each side at the chainstays. Was out in the snow/slush/mud today and didn't have any issues with pickup. They seem to be exactly the same width on these rims (82mm) as they are on my Fatboy rims (92mm).

I put the Ground Controls on because I had two lying around in my garage and hadn't really made up my mind what else to try. I haven't ridden any other fat tyres, but have poked at plenty and the GCs seem to have relatively thick/stiff sidewalls which I like.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Subjective opinions wanted....

If you had to get a fork for a Mutz right now, would you choose the Wren 160mm or the Fatlab 150mm ? Since neither have a real review yet, I was hoping that people would comment on the merits of the fork components of each.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nevermind, FATLAB isn't selling their forks separately in the US. I guess it the Wren, or the Wren....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Has anyone tried the Wren and is it at all different than the dozen or so guys who have packaged it as their own? They apologize for their website but leave all the typos in there. Doesn't inspire confidence in the product IMHO... I hope it's the solution though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I have a 100mm lulu fork on an 11 9 simus

That's the fatlab

It's a plush fork
    I've enjoyed it
    Last edited by blidner; 11-24-2015 at 04:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    I have a 100mm lulu fork on an 11 9 simus

That's the fatlab

It's a plush fork
    I've enjoyed it

Folks could try contacting lance at 11 9 fatbikes to see if he is carrying the 150 version
    cool, you have one of those too?? nother topic: Have you had snow and if so how have the new 45Nrth tires worked out? I presume too you got your rear hub issue worked out? Are they as we thought, just kinda floating on there so it was a matter of pushing it back in while compressing the pawls?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yeah I have a simus as well. I like having a second bike so friends can ride

But 2 turned into 3

I hub snapped back into place but I did have my lbs clean it out and the grease it.

No snow to date but I have been very happy the beast tires regardless

The vh will soon find their way into the simus

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JCHKeys View Post

If you had to get a fork for a Mutz right now, would you choose the Wren 160mm or the Fatlab 150mm ? Since neither have a real review yet, I was hoping that people would comment on the merits of the fork components of each.
    Fat Lab and Wren are the same Fork, Wren bought the rights to the FOMN, then updated the fork from 34mm to 36mm stanchions, added keyways to resist twist, and made it dual air.

There's a suspension thread on the fat bike forum where the details were posted; I copied an email from Wren with all the tech info.

The fork can be reduced in 10mm increments, I believe they are 160mm forks, spec'd by Foes for 150mm.

I have one on order, just waiting for them to land in mid December. I'll try 150mm first, since that's what Foes think is the best, then consider dropping to 140mm if the HTA is overly slack; not that a half degree is that much...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Basically I am waiting for your initial take on that fork to know if I should pull the trigger on one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    what he says.... Thanks Ben...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm ever so hopeful that the Wren will work out, having Foes pick this fork for the Mutz is a good sign.

I think they arrive in mid December, so after a long wait we may get our wish... all I want for Christmas is a big travel fat bike fork!

I can wait two weeks, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

Heading over to pick up the spokes for my 26" wheels, should have them spinning this weekend, more snow is expected, in the meantime it's taking multiple runs on my "skinny three inch tires" to pack the snow.

mtbr member
    Has anyone had problems with the Cane Creek Inline on their Mutz in cold weather?

My Inline stuck down today at 15-20 F. Now it wont rebound.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Has anyone had problems with the Cane Creek Inline on their Mutz in cold weather?

My Inline stuck down today at 15-20 F. Now it wont rebound.
    No problems at temps in the teens, worked flawlessly, certainly better than my Bluto

Did it improve once it warmed up in your house/garage?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Finally got my new fat wheels done:

Onyx Racing Hubs (black), Marge Large lite (Bronze), sealed up with gorilla tape/duct tape (pink flamingos) and Surly toobs (too lazy to get them TL last night), On One Floaters (Burly).

Also changed out the mechanical brakes (Spykes) for a set of Guides.

Still waiting on the fork, should be here before the first!

Gonna ride tonight if I can get the trails in shape...

Foes Mutz-20151206_225920_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I finally got the OK to spend the money on a new Mutz from the treasury department. But need alittle wisdom from other Mutz owners....

Can the Maxxis Minion Tires (FBF and FBR) fit on the Mutz if mounted on some 65mm Marge Lite Rims?

mtbr member
    Foes Mutz-m1.jpg
    Foes Mutz-m2.jpg
    XL
    Panaracer Fat B Nimbles on Fatlab 55s + Hope Fatsnos
    Sram GX 1400 cranks 30T.
    XT 42T 11 speed cassete
    XT shifter +rear d +brakes
    Renthall 50mm stem
    Enve HDH bar
    Lev Integra Dropper
    MRP AMG V2 bash/guide
    Fox Float DPS EVOL
    120 Bluto RCT3
    Fun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foes Mutz-m3.jpg  

mtbr member

Water bottle cage option for Mutz

So far, so good with the SKS Anywhere Cage mounted on the top tube.
    Didn't want to ride with a hydro pack for short rides, so this is my first shot at an on bike hydration option.
    Cage retails for $20 or less.
    Solid fit on top tube.
    Looks like you can swap the SKS cage for the cage of your choice using the supplied mounts if you want something more secure.
    Supplied cage doesn't appear to be too secure, but I haven't dropped a bottle yet. If I do, I'll swap to my preferred Lezyne cage which has never dropped a bottle.
    Also, the Speedsleev under the seat works great with a dropper post and holds the following:
    26x2.8 tube, 2 160z Co2 cartridges, inflator head, KMC 1x11 link, multi tool, tire lever.
    Foes Mutz-img_1231.jpg
    Foes Mutz-img_1232.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My Wren fork has shipped, I should have the Mutz built up by the end of the month. I have gotten everything except for tires. I am having trouble finding VanHelgas.... any other tire recommendations? Anyone run the Kenda Juggernauts with success?

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi JCHKeys,

Let us know what you think about the Wren when you'll have ridden it with your Mutz please.....i've got a Bluto in front of my Mutz. Very happy with the frame, not the same feeling about this fork

Thanks,

Steve from France.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I will put posting installation pics, and ride updates. Go over to the fat bikes thread, and there are write-ups about the wren already.

Fat bike supsension fork options 2015/16?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I had a Bluto for the last year. I use my bike for all mountain and the Bluto is a pile of sh... Aside the flex due to the small stanchion, the air chamber leaks in the lowers. Ok it's XC fork so I won't complain about the flex. But When we ( we is 5 person with mutz and Blutos) have to stop during the ride to put more air in the fork and release the pressure built up in the lower by sliding a zip tie between the stanchion and the seal. We had to change the air springs under warranty and some for a fork just out of the box, they keep leaking. Now we all got the wren for our mutz. I got mine in December 9 it was my birthday. The best present ever, I just love it. It balances the bike and is more plush. No problem at all with it on the trail.
    On the 160mm the lateral flex as been solved by a keyed stanchion and it works just fine.
    We have some in stock a the shop, we have also some Mutz demo with the wren on it. If you want more info about that contact this guy: Xavier@crazybearbikes.com

Check this out. Wren VS Bluto
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4BI1urEIc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foes Mutz-12360084_973183099418476_7954400420811221467_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

I would absolutely go with the Wren. I've tested the Fox 27.5+ with 150mm of travel and the Wren definitely has superior performance. The Fox will limit you to a 4" tire as well. Go to Youtube and type in Wren vs. Bluto and see for yourself. Bluto's are just not enough fork for the Mutz.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    They are the same fork. The Wren is 160mm but they put a stop bumper in it which makes it 150mm. You can only buy a Wren in the US as they have exclusive rights here. The fork on a Mutz in phenom. As good as a Mutz is it is a ton better with a Wren 150mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have tested a Wren and a Fox. Wren is way better on a Mutz in my opinion. You can go to Youtube and type in Wren vs Bluto. On my site there are some other vids of the Wren performing against other bikes and forks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've had a Bluto on my Mutz and found it very limiting not to mention we all have problems with the Bluto. I got a Wren 150mm travel and have ridden and tested it extensively. I also tried a Fox. The Wren is a wow the Fox OK and the Bluto sh....The Wren is definitely best and will allow for any size tire. The Fox will not and you have to get a Boost Hub wheel. Wren changes the Mutz geometry for the better. You can go to Youtube and type in Wren vs Bluto and see for yourself. Also on my site are other videos showing the Wren vs other bikes and forks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You will like the extra slackness. The Wren makes everything the Mutz does do it better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yes

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Shuttle Service - CrazyBearBikes.com has a new Mutz ready to go.

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks JCHKeys, pstosky and Crazy Bear....
    I'll mail Xavier soon. Not the moment to buy new fork, but the wren will take place of my Bluto in front few month for sure....

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    And yes, that's exactly the same for me : the air might pass through the seals when the bluto flex...the Wren will certainly give the Mutz "better" geometry and a better feeling in the front of my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Foes Mutz

Quote Originally Posted by pstoski View Post
    I've had a Bluto on my Mutz and found it very limiting not to mention we all have problems with the Bluto. I got a Wren 150mm travel and have ridden and tested it extensively. I also tried a Fox. The Wren is a wow the Fox OK and the Bluto sh....The Wren is definitely best and will allow for any size tire. The Fox will not and you have to get a Boost Hub wheel. Wren changes the Mutz geometry for the better. You can go to Youtube and type in Wren vs Bluto and see for yourself. Also on my site are other videos showing the Wren vs other bikes and forks.
    If you're running 4.0inch tires and are ok with a boost hub - curious what you prefer about the wren vs the fox? I've only ever heard amazing things about the new fox. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by a63vette View Post
    If you're running 4.0inch tires and are ok with a boost hub - curious what you prefer about the wren vs the fox? I've only ever heard amazing things about the new fox. Thanks
    The Fox feels less stable. Not sure if it is because of the narrower hub spacing or not? Although I haven't run tires that are much bigger than 4" I don't like the idea that I can't using the Fox. The extra cost of a different hub and wheel makes it a very expensive setup that doesn't feel nearly as good riding it as the Wren. When I put a Wren 150mm on it had serious WOW. The Fox felt good but there was no wow. Was it better than the Bluto? For sure. I have both forks and the Wren is the one that stays on the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have no experience with the Fox +, I'm sure it's a good fork; at least the reviews have been positive. The Wren is a beastly fork, think DH fork but in a single crown. It goes where you point it, there is no flex, there's no stiction, there's no air leakage (so far), and it is a perfect match to the Mutz.

The Wren is still a new fork, both in design (as revised) and in production, so it has not been a fault free roll out. One user had issues with stanchion/seal/keyway tolerance (loose fork) and there have been a couple users (me included) who have found the fork to be overdamped.

For Wren's part, they are very receptive to feedback and they are working with users to improve the fork function, which may include changes to the damper. If a Wren user has problems, simply contact Russ at Wren and he'll work with you to fix the issue(s).

The more ride time I get on the Wren, the better it seems to feel; faster rebound and less damp. If the resistance (read as slow return) improves and I can get the damper adjuster to function, then it'll be a good fork.

In terms of set up, this is a 150mm fork (not a 160mm), there are clips that can be swapped around to reduce travel. It was explained to me that reducing travel also reduced fork length (A to C), but there is a question as to how the clips lead to this change. I have this question into Russ now, just waiting on a response.

I like the 150mm fork on the Mutz, but I'm not sure it's the ideal fork length for me, nor do I feel the HTA is where I want to be. I think 140mm would be better and possibly using an Anglset to tweak the HTA might be worthwhile, it all depends on how the bike will be used. It's already a long wheelbase due to the longish CS, so laying the front end out makes for a very long bike.

So, if you're looking to get a Mutz, definitely get the Wren fork option, you won't regret it. If you have a Mutz now and you're running a Bluto, you can always wait, but I don't see how anyone can stand to ride a Bluto on an FS fatty, but then that's just me

Foes Mutz-20160120_142506_resized_1.jpgFoes Mutz-20160105_224736_resized.jpgFoes Mutz-20160120_132229_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead313 View Post
    I have the Barbegazi 264.7″ tire on an 80mm rim. I'm NOT a fan of huge wide rims. I think you need to have some contour to the tire instead of it looking like a quad/4wheeler. If that doesnt fit, maybe Foes could secretly not-so-secretly popping some 197mm rear triangles out O:-)

How wide are the Barbegazis on an 80mm rim?
    Last edited by BlackSheep01; 01-23-2016 at 09:07 AM.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Nurse Ben where did you buy your Mutz? I have been emailing Timberline Cycles about buying from them. I have said I wanted to swap the Bluto for a Wren 150.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    If you happen to live in the New England area look at likin bikin
    That's where my Mutz came from

And it's cool to buy a Mutz from Mutz

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I've seen their site, and it would be cool to buy one from him. I live in Northern Utah though so Timberline in Colorado would be cheaper shipping charges for me.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by boardguru View Post
    I've seen their site, and it would be cool to buy one from him. I live in Northern Utah though so Timberline in Colorado would be cheaper shipping charges for me.
    Foes would be about the same shipping and might save some time having it shipped from CA to CO to you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Is anyone else out there running the CCDB Air CS on their Mutz? Any hints/tips on the setup? I was planning to go ahead and set it up with no volume spacers and with the neutral tune from CC, adjusting from there. But if someone else has any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Help!!

Well we bit of an exaggeration

The hope up blew out and hope sent a replacement driver. Screwed on the cassette and put the wheel back on. The cassette is not spinning properly when the rear thru axle is tightened, causing the wheel to engage backwards

How tight to folks keep their back axle and what is going on here

mtbr member
    Foes Mutz-img_1265.jpg
    Foes Mutz-img_1266.jpg

Great bike.
    One of the best bikes I've ridden in 30 years of MTB.
    Love it in on the climbs, descents and in the corners.
    Float EVOL is killer.
    Way better than any iteration of CCDBA I've ridden.
    Just need fatbike front suspension performance to catch up to rear shock performance.
    Been giving the 4.0 Jumbo Jim a workout as a front tire.
    Great tire in sand and loose soil.
    So far so good with knob life on rocks and cornering. Wearing better than any other Schwalbe tire I've had. Not a Schwalbe fan by any means,

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Has anybody try the 27,5 3.8" hodag. It would be a beast if there is enough room in the rear of the mutz for this tire!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My buddy became a retailer so we could get me a Mutz. He got three frames (M, L, L), I built a med to start, sold the frame and built a lrg, then I built the other lrg for a customer.

I'm nog sure in the ordering process, it might be that they're waiting on Wren forks to avoid pairing with Blutos.

For sure, do not get a Bluto, either wait on a Wren or get a Fox boost.

Quote Originally Posted by boardguru View Post
    Nurse Ben where did you buy your Mutz? I have been emailing Timberline Cycles about buying from them. I have said I wanted to swap the Bluto for a Wren 150.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You should try the Mutz Dorado Combo:
    Foes Mutz-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pplucena View Post
    Has anybody try the 27,5 3.8" hodag. It would be a beast if there is enough room in the rear of the mutz for this tire!
    +1 - anybody?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What's the travel/A-C for your Dorado?

I believe the Wren 150mm travel is 570 A-C. I feel a little choppered out, so I'm considering a reduction to 130mm; 140mm would be better but it's not an option yet.

I'm really liking the Wren, it is way burly, only a pound heavier than a Bluto. Very responsive, good damping, and no stichion.
    Quote Originally Posted by pplucena View Post
    You should try the Mutz Dorado Combo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	1051161

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Love catching air on this thing....

Foes Mutz-img_0371.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Love catching air on this thing....

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	311.3 KB 
ID:	1055226
    How's the Wren treating you?

I've been out pounding the rock, getting air, doing more tech stuff, have since dropped the pressure to 50 psi; I'm 200#, running one turn of rebound, the ride is very plush and there's no stiction. The Wren is so burly, I just plow through things; whether I mean to or not!

I had considered dropping the A-C/travel to 140 or even 130, but I can't see any reason for reducing it now. Even though the HTA is ~ 65.5, I don't think it's too slack, the handling at speed is great, climbing is very good. If I had one complaint it's total chasis length and managing tight turns. I'd take a shorter chainstay, though I wonder how much that would compromise climbing.

The thing about the Wren that I like most is that it doesn't bob when I climb out of the seat and the lockout really does lock the fork.

I am back to running 27+, so unless we get a bunch more snow, this is Spring!

Last ride of the season on 4" tires:

Foes Mutz-20160304_124415_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I just ordered up a set of the Easton arc plus to build up for Mutz

Hoping it all comes in by tomorrow and my lbs can lace up on Saturday for a ride Sunday

Hoping I can the little more speed I am covetting with the lower rolling resistance

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The fork has been great. It definitely has a break in period as each ride it gets smoother and smoother, but I may take the advice of the tuning thread and may do a disassembly and re-lube it up.

I am sticking with the 4.0 fork right now, maybe convert to tubeless. I am really enjoying the excess of traction in the mid that we are experiencing. The slack HTA is great at speed but slow technical stuff results in a core and arm workout. The best was at the top of a climb on Sunday I got the normal 'wow, a fatbike, aren't those really slow' as the hardtailers take off down a rooty descent, my riding friends gave me the nod and I took off after them and gave them the courteous 'on your left' as I passed them on roots, pinned. That felt so good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    For those running a b plus setup 3.0 tires, what psi do you run?

Had a setup up Easton arc built up with nobby nic 3.0
    Looking forward to trying sunday
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I am done with the Cane Creek Inline. I'm on my 3rd one in 3 months and now its doing the same thing. It packs up and bottoms out. Then when I get off the bike it wont fully extend. I called Cane Creek and they said they have had a ton returned off of the Mutz and they don't know why.

Has anyone else had problems with their CC Inline?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I am done with the Cane Creek Inline. I'm on my 3rd one in 3 months and now its doing the same thing. It packs up and bottoms out. Then when I get off the bike it wont fully extend. I called Cane Creek and they said they have had a ton returned off of the Mutz and they don't know why.

Oh no, My Mutz just shipped with the same shock. Should I be worried?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

When I talked with my shop and Foes, at my weight, they told me the inline wasn't the best choice and I went with a CCDB Air CS... its been a great shock so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I've had no problems
    Medium frame
    200 pounds dressed

Love the fork

Sorry to hear about your experience

mtbr member
    When I talked with my shop and Foes, at my weight, they told me the inline wasn't the best choice and I went with a CCDB Air CS... its been a great shock so far.
    I upgraded to the CCDB air CS. I should have it in a week. I have the CS on my DH bike and have had no problems. The Inline is just hit or miss. I have one on my daughters bike and she hasn't had any problems.

Like I said, I'm on my 3rd Inline in 3 months. I've given up trying. I absolutely love the shock when its working.

mtbr member
    Fox FLOAT EVOL DPS is the ticket on the Mutz for me.
    I've run CCDBA's on other bikes and I am familiar with all iterations of CCDBAs-inline, climbs switch etc.
    FOX FLOAT EVOL is a great match for the Mutz.
    Absolutely one of the best frame + shock combos I've ridden in 30+ years of mtb.
    Yes, prior FLOATS and RPs get slammed for one reason or other, but the EVOL DPS is the best FLOAT variant I have ever ridden.
    YMMV, but the the CCDBA Inline is completely underwhelming in reliability and performance isn't ahead of other shock options.

alias chicken

Quick release Rear

I have seen on photos, there Mutz with a DT Swiss QR.

Does anyone know if the are available?
    On the website of DT Swiss I find nothing ...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    So the Mutz used to use a 12x177 1.5TP axle, the same one that the Salsa Beargrease uses. DT swiss made an axle for that application. The mutz now uses a 1.75TP axle, and I have not found a DT Swiss in that size.

Quote Originally Posted by matt45 View Post
    I have seen on photos, there Mutz with a DT Swiss QR.

Does anyone know if the are available?
    On the website of DT Swiss I find nothing ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Nope, mine works fine, running nearly stock settings with just a little less rebound at the high end.

I can't see how the platform would cause problems with a shock, perhaps a bad batch?

I have one of the early ones.

I'm 200#

Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough, but for me a shock/fork just needs to help me maintain traction and absorb teh hits, all without packing down. I rarely have fork dislike unless the fork has excessive flex, stiction, or break down issues. The Bluto had all three in spades.

I find the CC Inline to be a nice riding shock, it does everything I want it to do, perhaps it's a bit damp, but I could adjust that out if it was a big enough issue. I'm more likely to mess with my fork than my shock, I suppose that's laziness or maybe I just don't care enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just rode Mutz for the first time as a 650plus

Easton arc 45 rims with 3.0 nobby nics

I've been riding the beist tires on whiskeys since November and prior to that vanhelgas on whiskeys. I've always loved the bike and have become technically better on the Rocky rooty stuff in New England. As such I became faster. But I've never felt fast

I rode tonight, and night is always tricky for me in general, but the ride was awesome. The bike felt more alive and far more aggressive in terms of acceleration and cornering. With that said, I need to adjust some of my lines.

I've read a lot of posts about the b plus tires so finally pulled the trigger in time for spring

And then a snowstorm is set for Sunday!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I know,right. My Mutz is supposed to be delivered on Monday, I hope it is not delayed. Blidner where do you ride? I am also in New England, transplant from CA, new to riding in this area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    You get your Mutz from likin bikin?

Ride 90 percent of the time in wompatuck in Hingham

Close to where I live
    Great reading there

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I got the Mutz from Timberline in CO, great guys. Never been Wompatuck. I am near Worcester and have my kids with me most of the time. I want to check out Vietnam though it is fairly close to me. Sounds like a fun area to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I've heard it's lots of rocks and drops

A rode with a guy in needham town forest who rides it

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    That is what I heard too. Probably to much for my kids.

Elitest thrill junkie

Mis-alignment would probably do it, causing drag and probably eating at the seal between the positive and negative chambers, add to that the frame-stiffness of Foes, which wouldn't have much "give". Really, if it's 3 shocks, doing the same thing, only with this frame, that's got to be it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

alias chicken
    Foes has different dropout!
    For RS, Shimano,... One sure still fits?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foes Mutz-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Mis-alignment would probably do it, causing drag and probably eating at the seal between the positive and negative chambers, add to that the frame-stiffness of Foes, which wouldn't have much "give". Really, if it's 3 shocks, doing the same thing, only with this frame, that's got to be it.
    The first shock stuck down before the bike was even ridden. The 2nd shock made it 2 rides. The 3rd shock made it 2 months.

We let all the air out and cycled it through the stroke and its smooth as butter. The shock goes in perfectly. There is no misalignment that we can tell.

Eric at Cane Creek said that they have had more Inlines come back from the Mutz than any other frame. The Specialized Enduro and Ibis HD are the other 2 bikes eating them... according to Cane Creek. They can not figure out why.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 11053 View Post
    Fox FLOAT EVOL DPS is the ticket on the Mutz for me.
    I've run CCDBA's on other bikes and I am familiar with all iterations of CCDBAs-inline, climbs switch etc.
    FOX FLOAT EVOL is a great match for the Mutz.
    Absolutely one of the best frame + shock combos I've ridden in 30+ years of mtb.
    Yes, prior FLOATS and RPs get slammed for one reason or other, but the EVOL DPS is the best FLOAT variant I have ever ridden.
    YMMV, but the the CCDBA Inline is completely underwhelming in reliability and performance isn't ahead of other shock options.
    I totally agree! I tried the Mutz With CC DB air w/CS and extra volume can, until it just broke Down in the coldest days a couple of months ago, actually my friend With same bike and shock got also a brake Down on his CC DB the same week. I got to try the Fox FLOAT EVOL DPS and I do not turn back. I have got back the CC DB from full service and it can not come Close to the Fox FLOAT EVOL DPS. The Fox sits much higher in the stroke when climbing, and I can tell you that I need the shock to bee good With my weight at 250lbs+. I can run the Fox FLOAT EVOL DPS in open mode all day long, when just getting exhausted after a few climbs with the CC DB even with climb switch on. I have tried to tune the CC with more compression in low speed, but I am just ending up with to much air pressure, and the shock is not so plush any more. The Fox is just so plush, and if you need to run miles at the ski track or the road, you cannot get a better lock out than the Fox got (it is a mechanical lockout).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The first shock stuck down before the bike was even ridden. The 2nd shock made it 2 rides. The 3rd shock made it 2 months.

We let all the air out and cycled it through the stroke and its smooth as butter. The shock goes in perfectly. There is no misalignment that we can tell.

Eric at Cane Creek said that they have had more Inlines come back from the Mutz than any other frame. The Specialized Enduro and Ibis HD are the other 2 bikes eating them... according to Cane Creek. They can not figure out why.
    Like Jayem said, it does sound like a frame issue. If the Float goes down, you might want to look into that.

I like my CCI, no issues in cold, works great. I suppose I'd also like the Float, but it's not worth dropping a bunch of coin to replace something that works. Now if we were talking about a Bluto, yeah, it'd be gone.

I remember when the CCI came out and it was all the rage, yawn, new bling is just so much prettier

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Like Jayem said, it does sound like a frame issue. If the Float goes down, you might want to look into that.

I like my CCI, no issues in cold, works great. I suppose I'd also like the Float, but it's not worth dropping a bunch of coin to replace something that works. Now if we were talking about a Bluto, yeah, it'd be gone.

I remember when the CCI came out and it was all the rage, yawn, new bling is just so much prettier
    The first shock on the bike didn't even make it one ride. I built the bike, rode it out in the street, and bounced on it. It stuck 1/2 way down and stayed. The second Inline made it two rides and did the same thing. The third shock made it a couple hundred miles in 2 months and did the same thing. I called Cane Creek and they told me they are having a ton of the Inlines come back from Mutz owners. That doesn't sound like a issue with my frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    250+ lbs here love my fox rear shock - only have about 2 hours on it Foes Mutz-imageuploadedbytapatalk1458652989.713488.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    250+ lbs here love my fox rear shock - only have about 2 hours on it Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458652989.713488.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	406.7 KB 
ID:	1058617
    I am 250+ and I can confirm you did the right Choice for rear shock. You will love it. Put it in open and choose platform 3, and you can ride all day long

mtbr member
    Anyone running a CCDB Air? What air pressures and settings are you running?
    Cane Creek let me pay to upgrade from my Inline.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone running a CCDB Air? What air pressures and settings are you running?
    Cane Creek let me pay to upgrade from my Inline.

I needed to have 150psi to get it to work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I sent you a message with more detail, but at 245lbs loaded up, I run 180psi. Use the lounge for a mid tune and play from there. Do the step by step instructions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    So I got my wife a mutz yesterday, since I was tired of her stealing mine all the time. Hers is set up with an Inline, 1x10 X9, Hope brakes, and a Bluto. Coming off a Wren on my mutz, I forgot how awful the Bluto was. Since it was used, I think it was not in the best shape.

Since it is a RL, do you think its smarter getting it serviced and having the RCT3 damper installed, or just buy a new Bluto with RCT3?

And to get on the fat for soapbox again, I wish a 140mm Fat Pike was made, I would much rather put that on there for her.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    JCHKeys, if you are mechanically inclined the Bluto is very easy to rebuild yourself. I picked up an RCT3 damper off Amazon for $110 and a full rebuild kit was another $25 or so. Takes about an hour. No need to buy a brand new one unless the inner legs are scratched up.
    As bad as the Bluto is compared to other forks I've had I can still haul ass on my Mutz, I can only imagine how good it would be with a better fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tvan View Post
    JCHKeys, if you are mechanically inclined the Bluto is very easy to rebuild yourself. I picked up an RCT3 damper off Amazon for $110 and a full rebuild kit was another $25 or so. Takes about an hour. No need to buy a brand new one unless the inner legs are scratched up.
    As bad as the Bluto is compared to other forks I've had I can still haul ass on my Mutz, I can only imagine how good it would be with a better fork.
    A lot of uncertainty that I am finding the right kit, do you happen to have the part numbers of the rebuild kit and RCT3 damper kit. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So I got my wife a mutz yesterday, since I was tired of her stealing mine all the time. Hers is set up with an Inline, 1x10 X9, Hope brakes, and a Bluto. Coming off a Wren on my mutz, I forgot how awful the Bluto was. Since it was used, I think it was not in the best shape.

Since it is a RL, do you think its smarter getting it serviced and having the RCT3 damper installed, or just buy a new Bluto with RCT3?

And to get on the fat for soapbox again, I wish a 140mm Fat Pike was made, I would much rather put that on there for her.
    Okay, I give, why did you buy a Bluto?

Ya know crappy forks don't get better with age, they just get crappier

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi fellow Mutz owners. I received my Mutz last week and am building a set of 27.5+ wheels for it. Wheels are Nextie jungle foxes with Onyx hubs. What do you all recommend for a plus tire? I am in MA so mixed terrain with lots a roots. I also plan to go to a couple bike parks this summer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarecrow View Post
    Hi fellow Mutz owners. I received my Mutz last week and am building a set of 27.5+ wheels for it. Wheels are Nextie jungle foxes with Onyx hubs. What do you all recommend for a plus tire? I am in MA so mixed terrain with lots a roots. I also plan to go to a couple bike parks this summer.
    Durable, heavy, TL ready: WTB Trail Boss 3.0
    Less durable, less heavy, kinda TL ready: Specialized Purgatory

What fork and shock did you pick?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I got the wren fork and cane creek inline shock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Way cool looking rig

I'm running the 3.0 nobby nics here in Boston and enjoying them

They do pick up a lot of mud however

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Durable, heavy, TL ready: WTB Trail Boss 3.0
    Less durable, less heavy, kinda TL ready: Specialized Purgatory

What fork and shock did you pick?
    I was looking at the Pugatory, can't beat the price. You say kinda TL. Did you install them TL? How difficult was it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    Way cool looking rig

I'm running the 3.0 nobby nics here in Boston and enjoying them

They do pick up a lot of mud however
    Thx Blidner, I am really happy with how it turned out. Now I need to get on the trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I was able to get part numbers from Rockshox website. I believe the damper was the same as the Reba. If I can find the bags they came in I will post numbers here later

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Does anybody know if it's possible to run a zero stack headset on the Mutz. This would allow a longer travel fork like the Wren 150mm to fit without raising the front end too much. I am still considering trying a 27plus rear and 29plus front and the zero stack would be key in keeping the geometry correct especially if I run a longer travel fork as well.

***to answer my own question, after speaking with Mike at Timberline, I decided to give the 27/29 plus setup a try. It might be a few weeks before I can get all the parts needed but it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for and I can still run 4" tires in winter.
    Mutz cannot utilize zero stack headset and Mike recommended using an offset headset to correct head tube angle if and when I go with a longer travel fork. I will most likely get a Fox 34 Plus fork since it can fit both 29plus and most 4" tires on 65mm rims. Planning on running Dually rims and 3"Dirt Wizard tires front and rear.
    Last edited by tvan; 03-31-2016 at 01:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Foes Mutz-imageuploadedbytapatalk1459703308.054161.jpg

Love it.

alias chicken
    Mutz Magura MT7 "Raceline" in the forest
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foes Mutz-foto-03.04.16-12-13-02.jpg  

Foes Mutz-foto-03.04.16-12-36-31.jpg  

Last edited by matt45; 04-03-2016 at 11:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tvan View Post
    Does anybody know if it's possible to run a zero stack headset on the Mutz. This would allow a longer travel fork like the Wren 150mm to fit without raising the front end too much. I am still considering trying a 27plus rear and 29plus front and the zero stack would be key in keeping the geometry correct especially if I run a longer travel fork as well.

***to answer my own question, after speaking with Mike at Timberline, I decided to give the 27/29 plus setup a try. It might be a few weeks before I can get all the parts needed but it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for and I can still run 4" tires in winter.
    Mutz cannot utilize zero stack headset and Mike recommended using an offset headset to correct head tube angle if and when I go with a longer travel fork. I will most likely get a Fox 34 Plus fork since it can fit both 29plus and most 4" tires on 65mm rims. Planning on running Dually rims and 3"Dirt Wizard tires front and rear.
    Get an Angleset, you can reduce by 1/2 to 1 degree.

29+ works on the front end, I tried it. You could also reduce travel on the front end to drop height, of course who wants to reduce travel

The Wren 150 will clear 29+ Dirt Wizard with 1/2" to spare, no travel reduction necessary.

Don't get Duallys, they are low quality and poorly finished. For the same money you can get the Scrapers, I have two sets, they work well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459703308.054161.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	349.7 KB 
ID:	1061519

Love it.
    Cool looking bike!

I love all the color combos folks are running, makes me jealous, all I have is boring red

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was looking at the Pugatory, can't beat the price. You say kinda TL. Did you install them TL? How difficult was it?
    I ran them TL only, they set up easy, but they burped a fair bit in the beginning, then sealed fine. They had quite a bit of sidewall seepage, though the casing took a fair beating over the summer and did fine.

For the weight, price, and function, the Purgs are good tires. I still have my set, send me a PM if you want them.

I went to the Trail Boss 3.0 to get more durability; of course the cost is more weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I got the wren fork and cane creek inline shock.
    Where's your dropper?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Where's your dropper?
    Soon I think. I have never used one and am trying to decide if it is worth the investment. I am planning to hit a couple bike parks this summer so I need to decide. First need to finish my wheels. Hoping to build this weekend.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast