mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Florida Chubby Chaser!

Haven't posted in a while, but I'm on the site pretty much every other day. I was recently on CL and found a Surly Pugsley Necromancer for about $1500. It was bought in 2012 and according to the owner is mint with no wear or scratches. The only problem is that the guy lives about 5 hours away from me and I have almost no experience with fatties. I have been looking to buy a fat bike for a while to take to the beach and ride through my local trails when its wet out, but I'm not sure if the 5 hour trip to pick it up would be justified lol. Any advise would be greatly appreciated for this miami newbie to the chubby chasing world.

Btw I mostly ride XC on my Cannondale Carbon Flash 29er weighing in at a hefty 19lbs and want the surly to mess around with when I wanna just go out for a change of pace. Thanks in advance!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    That's $400 off. Not a bad deal, not great. If it's that long of a drive, demand many pictures of said mint-ness. If he's cool he'll understand.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

turtles make me hot
    I guess I'd drive all that way if there was something cool to see or do on the way back with the bike. Is it near any trails you don't normally get to ride?
    Have a country fried steak at Cracker Barrel and a raspberry iced tea and ride that fatty.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Lol yeah NYrr496, you have a good point there! Can't enough cracker barrel, kinda gives me a break from all the cuban food I eat every day lol. But like I said I really don't know much about fat bikes and really don't know how much I should be paying for the Pugs. I've been browsing through the threads and all that, but I couldn't seem to find anything on like a price guide or whatever. The more I read and the more pictures I see though, the more stoked I get about the possibility of being a "chubby chaser" in the near future lol

turtles make me hot
    Like Drew Diller said, It's a pretty good price... Bring cash and see if you can get it for 100 or 200 less.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Good luck trying to get him down in price. You may be able to get him to come down hundred or two if he needs the cash. But if he's patient he might be able to sell it for 1600. Which fatties becoming more well known and popular, it will be a while before the market is saturated enough for prices even on older fatties to come down. I agree 1500 is a great price for that bike. Even if you can get him to drive toward you an hour in would save you two. It would be fitting that it takes an adventure to get an adventure bike.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Where were you guys when I was trying to sell my pugs? 2103 necro frame, salsa enabler fork, RD/Bud front, LM /Nate rear. 3x9 slx, brooks saddle, bb7's.

Best offer I got from local Craigslist was $975!!!!

So, I kept it and built a new rear wheel (RD / Alfine 8), and I am happy happy happy!

That said, $1500 is not a deal. Walgoose is quickly driving used prices down.
    I gear my bikes the way I like my women, small up front and big out back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by efuss View Post
    Where were you guys when I was trying to sell my pugs? 2103 necro frame, salsa enabler fork, RD/Bud front, LM /Nate rear. 3x9 slx, brooks saddle, bb7's.

Best offer I got from local Craigslist was $975!!!!

So, I kept it and built a new rear wheel (RD / Alfine 8), and I am happy happy happy!

That said, $1500 is not a deal. Walgoose Bikes Direct Fatbikes might start driving used prices down.
    Fixed it. I don't see a Walgoose being in the same league as a Surly or anything else with gears.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    @69tr6r,
    Good correction, I was really surprised that the pugs didn't seem to hold any value.
    I gear my bikes the way I like my women, small up front and big out back.