mtbr member
    Jan 2013

First XC 13 hour race on the Muk!

Well I did it, raced the mukluk in the local 13 hour race. Took the first lap on my el mar because it was a typical land rush start and the first lap was also about 2.5 miles longer than the rest. Decided I would try the second lap on the Muk, after about an hour and a half rest as I was racing on a 3 man team. Jumped on the muk and less than a mile into my second lap decided that the number plate was staying on for the rest of the race. The ride was so much fun, yeah I got passed a few times, ok a lot, but when they passed me they always had something cool to say about the bike. And when I passed someone I loved the look they gave me! All in all I never felt too fatigued from riding the fattie, my legs gave up on my last night lap but I think that was just a lack of training miles. The muk, all stock performed beautifully, not one problem at all. I did notice a few of the dreaded pedal/crank strikes but I think that was mostly the terrain. The nates had gobs of traction and even in the technical sections with rocks and roots I never slipped once. If anyone is thinking of riding there fattie in a non snow//winter race all I can say is do it!! It is a ton of fun!

Oh and drevil I never could catch up to you in that unitard, you were way too fast in that thing!! I think we pitted just down the trail from you.

E.P.

First XC 13 hour race on the Muk!-dsc_1628.jpgFirst XC 13 hour race on the Muk!-dsc_1448.jpgFirst XC 13 hour race on the Muk!-dsc_1617.jpg
    2013 Mukluk 3
    2012 El Mariachi
    2012 Specialized Carve comp (work bike)
    2005 Banshee Chaparral
    2008 Felt F4C (roadie)

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Ahh, so that was you a couple of sites down. Cool, yeah, I agree the fat bike was a good one for this course because of the rooty sections and cowhoof pockmarks. My wife also used her green 907 on her last lap, and had a good time on that lap. How many other fatties did you see out there? I can only recall another green Mukluk.

Trying to Impress the Ladies by bundokbiker, on Flickr

Next time I'll make sure to say hi. Cheers,
    rickyd
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Fat & Single
    Good work ! Sounds awesome !

I have a 24h team race in 3 weeks and im fatbiking it, got a quick 110km race in 2 weeks but 29er for that. Cant wait.

I did the same 24h race the year before and the comments when you passed someone and they seen the big fat tyres rolling past them was priceless.... even moreso - what were the people who said nothing thinking ???
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member

First XC 13 hour race on the Muk!

I haven't raced mine on dirt yet, but I know I will. I haven't been able to put the fatty down yet. My 29er sits with new parts, new tires, clean and ready...but it sits.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Sol, were you riding a drop bar mtb?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I saw two other full fats, a green muk and a red fatback. One of the guys across from us in the pits was on a half fat. I think it's time to convert the el mar to an SS just to keep it relevant in my bike rotation. I can't imagine what people thought when they heard the nates on the hardpack behind them!
    2013 Mukluk 3
    2012 El Mariachi
    2005 Banshee Chaparral
    2008 Felt F4C (roadie)

Levi Early
    my orange muk is going to be racing the sea otter xc this weekend! I love how the bike trail rides, it has become my primary bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was thinking about trying to race my Mukluk at the end of this month, but over the weekend I rode part of the course and while the bike is up to it, my body wasn't. My legs are too used to my 20 pound CX bike apparently. Another race in the same place in August though so I'm going to try to get myself in better shape for that and represent the fat bike crowd (and by crowd I mean probably just me).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I was the guy on the red Fatback. I did solo and managed to finish 21st (out of 65). I gave up after my 1st night lap. My hands were getting numb and I did not want to wreck.

First XC 13 hour race on the Muk!-2sankow.jpg

First XC 13 hour race on the Muk!-2rei1b7.jpg

First XC 13 hour race on the Muk!-bg8bm.jpg

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by redline814 View Post
    I was the guy on the red Fatback. I did solo and managed to finish 21st (out of 65). I gave up after my 1st night lap. My hands were getting numb and I did not want to wreck.
    Nice work. I, on the other hand, only managed 4 laps. I wore crappy gloves on my first two laps that made my hands blister pretty badly in the middle of my palms. By the time I was finishing my fourth lap, I could barely hold the bars.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Raced my Muk in our local 12hr race last fall. 9 laps and 97 miles later, I was... sore, but it was a blast!
    END-TOMBED 2012 - YouTube (only crash of the day at 2:00- nothing major other than this fall set off a massive round of cramping)

mtbr member
    awesome job! I'm doing a few distance races on my fat bike this year. First one is on Saturday. Can't wait.
    Congrats again!
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by redline814 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2sankow.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	791129

Name:	2rei1b7.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	791134

Name:	bg8bm.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	791136
    Awesome job, I was lined up next to you at the start, you instantly made me regret not riding the muk on the first lap! Do you have the carver carbon fork on your fatback? I am thinking solo might be an option next year. I think the the night laps on the muk were the most fun!
    2013 Mukluk 3
    2012 El Mariachi
    2005 Banshee Chaparral
    2008 Felt F4C (roadie)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-Yukon View Post
    Awesome job, I was lined up next to you at the start, you instantly made me regret not riding the muk on the first lap! Do you have the carver carbon fork on your fatback? I am thinking solo might be an option next year. I think the the night laps on the muk were the most fun!
    Thanks. Yes, the fork is the Carver. I ended up receiving one of the ones that was all black...not carbon finish.

You should have ridden the muk!