mtbr member

First Rides..especially for us new to fat bikes

Had my first ride in the snow today. What a rush! Most of the snow went north of my area so only had about 2 inches and the plows had been through on the roads so there wasn't lots to ride through.

Biggest issue was that it spent most of the night raining so there were icy spots and I slid out a few times. I had to pick my way through the ice and watch for cars at the same time.

Muk is amazing in snow! Just go wherever with ease. I even went through my backyard as the shed door had blown open so I close it. My XO twist grips I got from a guy on CL are amazing and even with heavy gloves shifted with ease. Glad I didn't go with trigger shifters.

I need to upgrade my cheapie pedals. Plastic ones have no grip when wet.

Something warm to cover my head that fits under a helmet is another must. Anything girl friendly out there?

This bike rocks..at least until I get frustrated again..LOL.

Edited..forgot to mention all the people gawking or slowing down in their cars to check out the nut on a bike.
    Last edited by Bethany1; 12-20-2012 at 12:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Fedex is sayin' that my On-One Fatty will be delivered Saturday. So first ride will probably be Sunday! Never rode a fat bike before, either.

I'm like a 44 year old kid at Christmas!

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post

I need to upgrade my cheapie pedals. Plastic ones have no grip when wet.

Something warm to cover my head that fits under a helmet is another must. Anything girl friendly out there?
    Go clipless and get some good boots or convert a pair of nordic boots to cleats. For your head, I like this option, but I'm half roadie, so Campy stuff gets me all hot and bothered. There are lots of cheaper options out there. A nice mid-weight wool hoodie is also a life saver if you are out in the really cold. It's fun ain't it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    Fedex is sayin' that my On-One Fatty will be delivered Saturday. So first ride will probably be Sunday! Never rode a fat bike before, either.

I'm like a 44 year old kid at Christmas!
    Mine said it would get here today, until a few minutes ago, it switched to Estimated Delivery: N/A.

guess I can stop waiting outside on the front porch.

maybe tomorrow?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Mine said it would get here today, until a few minutes ago, it switched to Estimated Delivery: N/A.

guess I can stop waiting outside on the front porch.

maybe tomorrow?
    now clean up the drool and get that bib on for tomorrow.

Human Test Subject
    Pearl Izumi has a barrier headband that I wear into the 20s.* It's got a cut out in the back for ponytails if you have one. Helps me not overheat by not covering the top of my head too. It's great and I think I got it for $20 or so.

*I'm Minnesotan and we wear shorts in the snow, so you might need something more substantial.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The 45NRTH Greazy is super comfy and warm, covers ears really well and has a bill. Careful though, if you have a small head it might be a little too loose. Was going to get the wife one, but she tried mine on and it was just a bit too big.

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats, sounds like you had some fun.

Take a look-see at the Ibex Meru or Skimmer merino wool hats. Ibex Accessories Both fit underhelmet (if it's not already maxxed out), the Meru is a little thicker, may be too much depending on temps. A wool buff Buff®Sports | Wool Buff® | Tubular is great for neckwear; double it, and pull up over your nose for the downhills, down for the uphills to regulate your temp.

Don't recall what you have for pedals, but some pinned flats paired with sticky shoes like 5.10's work great for me. I use plastic (Fyxxation) ones on the fatty because I find them a bit warmer than the metal ones, but metal pins will be max grip. You won't slip off either of them if you brace (angle) your feet to keep in contact.

If you're playing in traffic, a bright jacket greatly improves your visibility/safety.

SS Rider
    smartwool makes some good options. I use mine under a helmet all the time they are thin and warm I like the longer one that you would typically consider folding up as I can pull it down farther in the back to cover more and the seam is not interfearing with a helmet.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Surprised Lincoln got that little snow. We were 8"+ up in Omaha. Rode tranquility last night during the storm and had a blast. Low pressure is key in the snow/ice. Also all the leaning we told you to do on dirt is not advisable in the snow. I forgot that and ended up dumping the bike a few times on the way to the trail. I use a normal stocking cap or a balaclava under my helmet depending on the weather.

Enjoy the ride!

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Keep the flats. More boot options, warmer feet. I have ridden Spec. flats for a few years. Good grip and snow shedding. Changed to a lighter flat this year, like the 45nrt...can't remember the brand. I'll check and post later.
    Glad you liked the snow. The conditions change quickly. Be ready to adapt as the temp changes and the daylight/darkness alters the riding conditions.
    Oh ya, learn to steer from your hips. Or learn to slide on yer bum....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I for one am stoked about jerseys( I don't care the team) and ugg boots...........cheap mind you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buconine View Post
    Surprised Lincoln got that little snow. We were 8"+ up in Omaha. Rode tranquility last night during the storm and had a blast. Low pressure is key in the snow/ice. Also all the leaning we told you to do on dirt is not advisable in the snow. I forgot that and ended up dumping the bike a few times on the way to the trail. I use a normal stocking cap or a balaclava under my helmet depending on the weather.

Enjoy the ride!
    Down south we were supposed to get that much but the storm hit Omaha. Was in Lincoln today and it was a mess driving around. Their snowplows are useless and leave more of a mess than actually cleaned up. Not sure how much Lincoln got but it was more than us.

Wonder if Nakedbabytoes made it out since she lives in Lincoln and it's her first snow as well.

Not ready for a full trip out until I get something for my head that goes under a helmet and not doing something like Tranquility until I get decent pedals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    On One Fatty unboxed yesterday. Very easy to ride in the forest, not fear of holes, bumps and slippery areas, even at night. The bike is very stable and the grip is phenomenal, inflated to 6 psi.

Today started the rain of the Flood ...
    French. In France .Near Paris. Yes, really.

mtbr member
    Um, I agree. 45nrth greazy cap is great, and smart wool has nice thin caps as well. I also love my 45nrth pedals (the less expensive ones) and I ride clipless on everything else...they stick like crazy.

mtbr member
    hbourj,

Awesome looking bike!

Dudette
    I'm so jealous! I'm visiting family in NC and word is the northeast is getting a few inches of snow. It makes me even more eager to throw my leg over one of these babies! It sounds like everyone has permagrin!!

mtbr member
    Most cycling specific headwear is pretty thin and should fit ok under a helmet, unless the helmet is pretty snug already. In that case just get a second helmet for winter riding to fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For colder temps, I tend to use a neck tube/balaclava combo designed for wearing under a snowboard helmet. The hat part is thin spandex which is sewn to a fleec neck tube, so its one piece. Cheap as chips too.

mtbr member
    Echo the suggestion for the Smartwool stuff. My experience is that wool is the ideal material for cold cycling clothes, especially underlayers. It breathes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What tyres are that on the on one ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by endorfin View Post
    What tyres are that on the on one ?
    Tyres On-One Floater, 4", probably produced by VEE Rubber in Thailand.

See : On-One Floater: ride reports?

See On-One Fatty dissection first page : Photo and wheight.
    French. In France .Near Paris. Yes, really.