mtbr member
    Feb 2013

First ride on the Moonie in Upstate NY! Awesome!

Ok, so the miles of smiles advertising is true! I took my new moonlander out for it's maiden voyage yesterday to a local state park (Thatcher Park in Upstate NY) and it was a BLAST!

I found it amazing how forgiving those big ol' tires make the bike over the roots and uneven terrain. I was also amazed at the billy goat gene that allows this thing to climb! WoW!

I was thankful that we have LBS that carries Surly stuff, as I had stopped to pick up a few things and grabbed an extra tube! Very thankful because I ended up needing it! My earlier reservations about having to change a flat were completely unwarranted. It is as easy as on a road bike. (Not sure that I would want to do it in the cold though...)

I need to make some adjustments to the gearing, shifting is a bit off but, the bike handled like a dream. For it's size, it really handles very well on the technical singletrack.

All in All... This thing is a Hoot!!! I am not sure how much riding my 29'er will get from here on out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First ride on the Moonie in Upstate NY!  Awesome!-img_20130803_111850_095.jpg  

mtbr member
    Another bike bites the dust! (the old 29'er that is). Come to the fat side, we have beer.

Gooood, GOOOOOOD. Let the fat flow through you...
    Fatbike Chicago on Facebook

never summer
    Yep fat bikes are a riot. Funny how the old hike a bike scenarios get cleaned with ease now.

The tubes have removable valve cores. Put a few ounces of sealant in the tube and forget about flats for a bit...well unless you pinch flat. I use the Stan's injector and valve core remover...but both can be done without.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

Nemophilist
    Hmmmm....

Some of us who are a bit more UP than that consider Albany to be a suburb of NYC... well, sort of. In any event, welcome to the family. The healthiest fat people you'll ever meet!

Reporting live from Southern UP Upstate.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member

Tubeless. Congrats on the switch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    How is Vestal even remotely considered Upstate?

Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hmmmm....

Some of us who are a bit more UP than that consider Albany to be a suburb of NYC... well, sort of. In any event, welcome to the family. The healthiest fat people you'll ever meet!

Reporting live from Southern UP Upstate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Singlefin
    So, with the Stan's, do you remove the core, put the sealant in and then replace the core, so that you can add air in the future or, is it a one shot deal?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by singlefin View Post
    Yep fat bikes are a riot. Funny how the old hike a bike scenarios get cleaned with ease now.

The tubes have removable valve cores. Put a few ounces of sealant in the tube and forget about flats for a bit...well unless you pinch flat. I use the Stan's injector and valve core remover...but both can be done without.

never summer

Quote Originally Posted by ds97a View Post
    Singlefin
    So, with the Stan's, do you remove the core, put the sealant in and then replace the core, so that you can add air in the future or, is it a one shot deal?
    Thanks
    Yep, pull the core out then inject the sealant. Put the core back in and pump it back up. As for one shot, well you can add sealant later, bit if your familiar with how sealant can clump over time that isn't coming out.

I usually run tubeless but not sure with the fatbike. Gonna switch to Bud/Lou close to winter...might give it a shot then.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy