mtbr member
    Nov 2015

First fat bike...Picked up a Fuji Wendigo 1.3

New here and mostly ride a road bike. With our first snow-storm, I broke down and picked this rig up for about $999. Lots of areas to upgrade, but it will be my daily 8 mile roundtrip commuter and maybe some wintery rides around Michigan. Despite the bulldozer tires, first ride on a local trail worked great. It is definitely a different style of riding. Looking forward to the season!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First fat bike...Picked up a Fuji Wendigo 1.3-11032291_10153232892653671_478348720519740199_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    I would think 4.7 Bulldozers on 100mm wide rims would do pretty well in snow. Looks like a nice ride, though I haven't seen one on person. Hopefully you'll get some trail time in addition to the commute, but in winter it seems parts of my commute more or less are offroad trail time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bepperb View Post
    I would think 4.7 Bulldozers on 100mm wide rims would do pretty well in snow. Looks like a nice ride, though I haven't seen one on person. Hopefully you'll get some trail time in addition to the commute, but in winter it seems parts of my commute more or less are offroad trail time.
    Seemed to do well on the trail I hit the day the pic was taken. Hard to have a point of reference though. this thing requires so much more energy than my road bike...but it is a ton of fun to ride so far. There's a few trails I need to hit up for sure. By hopefully next season, I will have all trails on my commute if a few of these plans are carried out around town.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by djmatte View Post
    Seemed to do well on the trail I hit the day the pic was taken. Hard to have a point of reference though. this thing requires so much more energy than my road bike...but it is a ton of fun to ride so far. There's a few trails I need to hit up for sure. By hopefully next season, I will have all trails on my commute if a few of these plans are carried out around town.
    How are you liking the Wendigo. I just pulled the trigger on 1.1 and am waiting on it to get to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by thenry View Post
    How are you liking the Wendigo. I just pulled the trigger on 1.1 and am waiting on it to get to me.
    Just now saw this. So far I like it. Kind of wish I sprung for the 1.1 gear-wise, but liked the color of the charcoal with blue. Mine came with the three chain rings in the front...yours will have 2 if I remember correct. I am finding I rarely touch the large one and the gear ratios are WAY different than my road bike (probably because the roady is a 105 2 chainring setup). There's a hill on my commute that my road bike is all the way to the smallest ring and the easiest gear, where on the wendigo I can hit the same hill on the small chain ring and about halfway up the back.

I took it last week onto a muddyish single track and one thing I noticed was the rear gears seemed to skip a bunch. My mountain bike experience is nil...so I'm not sure if this is because of the group-set or just a normal occurrence.

First run through the snow handled fine on a non-packed path and it did great on my partially snowy commute. For the price, I'm overall satisfied.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    djmatt: Do you still like your Wendigo 1.3? How has it performed over the past 2 years? I found a new-in-the-box version of this bike in my size, and am considering it as a starter snow bike.
    2011 BMC SpeedFox SF01
    2014 Fuji Sportif 1.1 (road bike)

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Still rock solid. I haven't changed much to mine except some bar ends and different grips. Only complaint is when I looked into going for a suspension front, I was looking at a whole new wheel. But the stock tires are decent in all terrains and this bike has powered me through 2 seasons of a 8 mile round trip commute. I will say the third gear ring is overkill as I rarely use it and do think a 1x11 is probably ultimately a better setup than the 2-3x9. But that comes down to preferences really.