Thread: First Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

First Fat Bike

Hi all, longtime lurker, first time poster.

LBS has a 2008 Pugsley (Thunderhead Grey, that's 08, right?) for sale with a new chain and cassette (XT Comp?) and hydraulic brakes. $800. It has "slightly worn" Endomorphs.

Gonna check it out this weekend. Assuming it's in fair condition, is that reasonable or do you think I should wait a bit and go for a new Pugs or Mukluk 3? Do you think a new Pugs or Muk would go on sale in the spring, if I wait?

Will be riding all three, seeing which feels the best to my limited bike-riding palette. Saving a thousand bucks could sway me, but I plan on keeping it a while and am specifically selling a guitar for this purchase, so I don't "need" to go used.

Uses: snow riding, single track, fun. I don't ride super hard, and probably any extra weight from the steel will not be holding me back as much as my feeble legs.

Thoughts? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If you decide to go for it I would pay to have them put some new tires on it at their cost as part of the deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If I remember correctly the rear wheel is a bit of a pita to get off, requiring the removal of the brake caliper. Not a deal breaker, unless you will be removing it often.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DITCHMAN View Post
    If you decide to go for it I would pay to have them put some new tires on it at their cost as part of the deal.
    Good call. I thought about that, wasn't sure though if the $800 was a decent price or kind of steep for a 6 year old bike...and what kind of margin there might be.

Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    If I remember correctly the rear wheel is a bit of a pita to get off, requiring the removal of the brake caliper. Not a deal breaker, unless you will be removing it often.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    You are wrong. The rear wheel on my pugs comes off without issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    You are wrong. The rear wheel on my pugs comes off without issue.
    I believe they changed the design on the is disc tabs to make it easier to get the wheel off and it might of been after 2008 not sure though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have not seen any used Pugs for less than $1000 but until this winter there were not any new fat bikes available for under $1500. Now there are several sub $1000 fatbikes that are decent including Motobecane, Nashbar and Minnesota.
    Still if its in good shape not a bad value. I would like to see a different front tire as i really did not care for the handling with the Endomorph in front.
    Older Pugs (and Karate Monkeys) did have an issue where the brake caliper would interfere with removing the rear wheel. Not sure when they made the change but it is not hard to deal with the older design either. Just loosen the bolts attaching the caliper to the frame and swing it up slightly. Only adds a few seconds to the tire removal process.

Personally I'm cheap and would rather spend the money on upgrades. So I'd take the used bike.

Craig

Chris Bling
    That is the fatbike I started with several years ago and its still rolling strong! I bought mine used and paid more than you would be. Because I did buy it used, I was able to upgrade lots of the parts and really make the bike the way I wanted it. If I could only grab 2 of my bikes if my house was on fire, one of them would be my Pugs

As far as getting the rear wheel off, you do have to loosen the brake caliper and it will slide in the mount so you can get your rear wheel off. That is with a 160mm disc. I dont have any experience with bigger discs.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Bought the same bike in September of 2012, also used, for a little more than your deal. I would say definitely go for it. You're not going to find a Pugs for any cheaper, it's not going to depreciate much, if any. Plus you have the old frame design that doesn't have the cracking issue of the white Pugs. Yes, you do need to loosen the caliper bolts to remove the rear wheel, not a big deal. Factor in some cash for new tires if you really want to ride snow. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Id probably jump on that if it was close to me.
    Been eyeing up getting a Motobecane fat bike for awhile now, hoping I can sell a bike or 2 this week and order one.

I can't justify the 1500-2500 price on most major brands fats, I wouldn't get my money out of it. for 700-800 I think it would be well worth it

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the advice.

Any insight on bike stores offering sales in the spring to clear out for incoming inventory? I thought I read something on this forum about Mar/Apr sales for said reason.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

Any insight on bike stores offering sales in the spring to clear out for incoming inventory? I thought I read something on this forum about Mar/Apr sales for said reason.
    It has been my experience that the bikes on sale are usually in the extreme sizes. ie XL or S. It never worked for me because I ride a medium
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Let's put in in perspective, I have a little over $800 in just my wheelset and that's on the cheap end now days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm building my first fat bike up from a new 2014 Pugsley frame. Lost my patience trying to locate a good used 20" framed Pugs within a 150 mile radius of where I live (includes Seattle and Portland) that was cheap enough for me to spend even more $$ on a custom wheel set built around an IGH.
    It ain't cheap, but I wanted one with an IGH. And yep, my custom Wheelset came in at $830, shipped ($793 before shipping charges).

My order should ship on 1/25, so I should get my booty by the end of the month. Can hardly wait!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

heck buy my 2012 pug and i'll pay the freight to MI. It's not a stock unit so quite a bit more due to parts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    $800 would be the lowest price I've seen for a Pugs. Pay it gladly. Don't nickel and dime your poor LBS!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    $800 would be the lowest price I've seen for a Pugs. Pay it gladly. Don't nickel and dime your poor LBS!
    I agree but it still doesn't hurt to ask for a set of tires at a reduced cost.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Buy it, ride it. Fat bikes are fun, the Pugs is a great entry to the style, and the snow will be gone soon enough. You can always sell it later. Don't beat your LBS too hard on tires, you can always order Floaters from On-One for a little over $100. If you do beat on them, offset it with a 6-pack. Or a 5-pack, that's what my LBS always seems to get.