Thread: first fat bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

first fat bike

Hello,

I am looking at my first fat tire bike. This will be just another bike in the "collection" i have 20 other bikes. I do live in southern california so the only snow it will see is on the tv in the garage. It will see some sand and probably no more than 200-300 miles a year.

I want an igh so if it comes with a derailed system it will have to be removed.

So my questions are as follows:

What is an economical fat tire bike?

I am not opposed to a used so where could I find one (do any of you have one for sale)?

What brands are available? I know salsa has the mukluk, surly has the pugsley, 907, sun has the spider AT, and there is the tommie sea.

mtbr member
    I just got a pug and love it. Tough reliable steel, track end drop outs, I think it is the most versatile of fatbikes. Never heard of Tommie Sea, going to have to look that one up. Hope you find one you like.

mtbr member
    Hands down winner is the Pugsley...great Fat bike for the price!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    How about the Origin8 Crawler coming out in March I think it is. $1400 with a nuvinci hub already installed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    looking at the origin8 wish it was going to be out in febuary though lol wish it had a little more tire clearance

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    anything with 170mm rear spacing is out if you want an IGH. So Surly Pugsley or 907 are good choices, Mukluk would be out as its 170mm spaced. The Mukluk spacer for 135mm spaced hubs works for QR rear hubs so a bolt on IGH hub wouldn't work without serious jerry rigging